PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Forbes: The Most Overpaid College Basketball Coaches 2013

Lzen
04-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Some recognizable names on this list. :p I wonder if they are rethinking Pitino now. Keep in mind this was published a month ago.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45kfji/ten-making-too-much/

loochy
04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
most overpaid college bball coaches - how about all of them?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-09-2013, 09:08 AM
These universities are made of money, so it's kind of dumb anyway.

okcchief
04-09-2013, 09:18 AM

This

COchief
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Ever hear about supply & demand? I find it absolutely laughable that this list includes both the NCAA championship coaches. Do you have any idea how much these universities get from the exposure, merchandise, recruiting boosts, and the bonuses from making the final four or bowl games in FB?

A national championship reverberates for decades for a university. Do you have any idea how many 7-12 year olds are now Michigan/Louisville fans because of that one tournament. I still pull for Michigan a little bit because when I was young the fab 5 was owning, and I have bought their merchandise, and I was cheering for them. I am just a casual fan, imagine the guys who really get into it? Their kids watch the games with them and they become fans and they buy the merchandise and everything else that goes along with it.

If paying a coach 5 mill gets you a NCAA championship appearance that will be well worth the risk of paying some no name who never does shit 500K-1mm.

Your view is extremely short sighted and frankly a bit childish. It's all risk vs reward. Did you think TB paid too much for Gruden? If RGIII wins multiple SBs will you think the Redskins paid too much to get him? Run the numbers sport!

There only appears to be 5-10 NCAA coaches that are worth their weight in gold, common sense would tell you that many people could coach a b-ball team very well for less money. However, history and simple math will tell you that is not the case.

loochy
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Ever hear about supply & demand? I find it absolutely laughable that this list includes both the NCAA championship coaches. Do you have any idea how much these universities get from the exposure, merchandise, recruiting boosts, and the bonuses from making the final four or bowl games in FB?

A national championship reverberates for decades for a university. Do you have any idea how many 7-12 year olds are now Michigan/Louisville fans because of that one tournament. I still pull for Michigan a little bit because when I was young the fab 5 was owning, and I have bought their merchandise, and I was cheering for them. I am just a casual fan, imagine the guys who really get into it? Their kids watch the games with them and they become fans and they buy the merchandise and everything else that goes along with it.

If paying a coach 5 mill gets you a NCAA championship appearance that will be well worth the risk of paying some no name who never does shit 500K-1mm.

Your view is extremely short sighted and frankly a bit childish. It's all risk vs reward. Did you think TB paid too much for Gruden? If RGIII wins multiple SBs will you think the Redskins paid too much to get him? Run the numbers sport!

There only appears to be 5-10 NCAA coaches that are worth their weight in gold, common sense would tell you that many people could coach a b-ball team very well for less money. However, history and simple math will tell you that is not the case.

http://images.wikia.com/pvx/images/c/cf/Dont_TLDR.gif

Prison Bitch
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
These universities are made of money, so it's kind of dumb anyway.

You obviously have no clue how college sports programs are funded if you make comments like this.

RealSNR
04-09-2013, 02:03 PM
How is Scott Drew NOT #1 on that list?

Pablo
04-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Rick Barnes needs to be on that list.

Swanman
04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Bubbles Bruce is getting paid two full salaries for a couple more seasons so he should be on the list too. Fuck him.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
You obviously have no clue how college sports programs are funded if you make comments like this.

Enlighten me LMAO Scholastic Einstein

There is more than enough coin to pay these ridiculous blowhards.

Pepe Silvia
04-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Frank Haith should fucking pay to coach.

jspchief
04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
You obviously have no clue how college sports programs are funded if you make comments like this.They are funded by the money the program generates.

lewdog
04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Why would you, after reading this list that contains two coaches who were in the championship game, even think about posting this?

Tribal Warfare
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM
http://specials-images.forbes.com/imageserve/00rXgX52AqcQH/0x600.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

" Did you drop your dildo"

Prison Bitch
04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
They are funded by the money the program generates.

Yes. Explain that to PGM. At Kansas, the sports programs are administered and funded by the KU Athletic Corporation.

-King-
04-09-2013, 06:16 PM

And yet the players don't get any money. How fair.

Saulbadguy
04-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Bubbles Bruce is getting paid two full salaries for a couple more seasons so he should be on the list too. Fuck him.

He should be at the top of the list. He's simply awful.

COchief
04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
And yet the players don't get any money. How fair.

Agree 100%, unfair.

COchief
04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
http://images.wikia.com/pvx/images/c/cf/Dont_TLDR.gif

If 5 relatively short paragraphs is too much, I weep for your future son. However, if I happened to be a complete moron with an attention span of a gnat, I wouldn't want to read about how stupid I was either. Lucky for me I'm me, sorry about your lot in life but you're you.

Sincerest condolences my friend...

You didn't even use that stupid picture correctly.

ILChief
04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Of course calipari should be number one. That program will be in shambles after the NCAA drops the hammer on them and he bolts to the nba

Saulbadguy
04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Of course calipari should be number one. That program will be in shambles after the NCAA drops the hammer on them and he bolts to the nba

yea, right.

Spott
04-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Haith getting paid a dollar a year is too much for that dickeater.

Prison Bitch
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
One of the reasons Deaton gave for the SEC! SEC! move was that their ath dept couldn't rely on the University to fund sports given te budget problems in Jeff City.

Cornstock
04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
I consider many of these coaches to be the best in the game. Crean, Beilein, and Pitino overrated? For that matter, Calipari, Buzz Williams, Tony Bennet? These are great teams. There are 347 Division I basketball teams in the NCAA. Only one can win the championship. Statistically, it is 10 times harder to win than the Superbowl, World Series, or NBA title.

Many of these coaches have had their teams ranked at #1, which is also an accomplishment. Just being highly rated brings tons of publicity to a school. Publicity that is tough to put a pricetag on. In my former field of work it was said that a bumper sticker is the equivalent of $500 of advertising. Product placement is what its all about, and paying a coach to place a school in the top 7% (top 25) is worth these guys' salaries.

Lzen
04-09-2013, 09:36 PM
He should be at the top of the list. He's simply awful.

Title town.

Prison Bitch
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I consider many of these coaches to be the best in the game. Crean, Beilein, and Pitino overrated? For that matter, Calipari, Buzz Williams, Tony Bennet? These are great teams. There are 347 Division I basketball teams in the NCAA. Only one can win the championship. Statistically, it is 10 times harder to win than the Superbowl, World Series, or NBA title.

Many of these coaches have had their teams ranked at #1, which is also an accomplishment. Just being highly rated brings tons of publicity to a school. Publicity that is tough to put a pricetag on. In my former field of work it was said that a bumper sticker is the equivalent of $500 of advertising. Product placement is what its all about, and paying a coach to place a school in the top 7% (top 25) is worth these guys' salaries.

It's really not 10x harder for KU to win it all than the Chiefs. There's parity in the nfl. There are probably only 10 teams in any given ear that realistically can win college football or basketball.

As for funding sports, the big schools that pay these salaries are mostly self funded. The crap programs may need subsidies. KU doesn't need university funding but umkc might. And they may need to weigh whether its worth it since they accomplish very little by playing

Dave Lane
04-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Well at least Mizzou got in the final four in this one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-10-2013, 01:34 AM
The problem is the term. Almost all college "coaches" aren't really coaches, but door-to-door salesmen with a dry erase clipboard of a basketball court in their possession.

Beilein, Crean, and Haith are awful coaches. Crean couldn't crack a fucking 2-3 zone with NBA talent, FFS; Beilein's team wasn't smart enough to understand the need to foul in a two possession game without the ball and less than a minute left, and Haith would have been crushed by the Polish cavalry if he led a Panzer division.

lazepoo
04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
The problem is the term. Almost all college "coaches" aren't really coaches, but door-to-door salesmen with a dry erase clipboard of a basketball court in their possession.

Beilein, Crean, and Haith are awful coaches. Crean couldn't crack a fucking 2-3 zone with NBA talent, FFS; Beilein's team wasn't smart enough to understand the need to foul in a two possession game without the ball and less than a minute left, and Haith would have been crushed by the Polish cavalry if he led a Panzer division.

This.

Watching the IU game was painful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
It's really not 10x harder for KU to win it all than the Chiefs. There's parity in the nfl. There are probably only 10 teams in any given ear that realistically can win college football or basketball.

As for funding sports, the big schools that pay these salaries are mostly self funded. The crap programs may need subsidies. KU doesn't need university funding but umkc might. And they may need to weigh whether its worth it since they accomplish very little by playing

Which is why both sports are ridiculously corrupt