PDA

View Full Version : Life Opinions for Used Mini Van

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:07 AM
There are some pretty smart people on here so I need to ask the CP BrainTrust.

The wife and I are expecting our third child in October. We currently have a 09 Cobalt and a 03 Alero. The Alero is paid off but the Cobalt has about 9700 left. (We were royally fucked on that one) Anyway, we are looking for a good minivan. We will have to buy used and we will have to tack on whatever is left from the Cobalt onto the price of the van.

Just a few questions.....

Edited: My question weren't specific enough

Anyone own a Sienna, Grand Caravan, or an Odyssey? How long? How many miles do you have? How are they holding up? What are the major problems if any?

About what price should I pay after everything is said and done; keep in mind we will be adding on like 4 or 5 grand?

I appreciate the help

DaKCMan AP
04-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Was talking last night with the girl I'm dating and we both agreed that we'd never, under any circumstances, get a minivan.

Hope that helps.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Was talking last night with the girl I'm dating and we both agreed that we'd never, under any circumstances, get a minivan.

Hope that helps.

:thumb:

It really does, thanks

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
We currently have a 09 Cobalt and a 03 Alero. The Alero is paid off but the Cobalt has about 9700 left. (We were royally fucked on that one) A

lol good lord

is the cobalt even worth 9700 new?

also, have you thought about a station wagon type car instead of a van?

KC native
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Kill it with fire.

MagicHef
04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
I have a 2005 Grand Caravan. I'm sure many on here will denigrate it based on style, but that van will do things I couldn't imagine doing in almost anything else. It's been very good for us, we paid $6000 3 years ago for it.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
lol good lord

is the cobalt even worth 9700 new?

also, have you thought about a station wagon type car instead of a van?

Barely, as I said, WE GOT HOSED, TOMMY.....WE GOT HOSED

I haven't seen too many wagons that can fit five with room to grow

Dave Lane
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I have a 2005 Grand Caravan. I'm sure many on here will denigrate it based on style, but that van will do things I couldn't imagine doing in almost anything else. It's been very good for us, we paid $6000 3 years ago for it.

Minivans are the bomb for usefulness but to be politically correct today you must own a SUV. Apparently if it doesn't have a long enough hood there is no penis allowed to drive it.

ClevelandBronco
04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda Odyssey. It's been great for us. No real problems through 140K. My wife keeps hoping that the thing will stop running (or at least develop an expensive problem) so she can get a little convertible, but no luck so far.

Dave Lane
04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
An SUV is a minivan with a longer hood and less storage.

ClevelandBronco
04-09-2013, 10:22 AM
An SUV is a minivan with a longer hood and less storage.

You should see how many minivans I can fit inside my Sequoia.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Minivans are the bomb for usefulness but to be politically correct today you must own a SUV. Apparently if it doesn't have a long enough hood there no penis allowed to drive it.

LMAO

I'm looking forward to getting one........(what has become of my life)

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM

http://assets.yodawgpics.com/hashed_silo_content/silo_content/5921/resized/truckscars.jpg

Dave Lane
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Sure thing sparky....

Not even close. Have had both and currently have the requisite SUV. Mini van with seats removed hold way way way more stuff and particularly taller stuff.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Honda Odyssey. It's been great for us. No real problems through 140K. My wife keeps hoping that the thing will stop running (or at least develop an expensive problem) so she can get a little convertible, but no luck so far.

Any idea of what a good price for a used on with less than 45000 would be?

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Sure thing sparky....

Not even close. Have both and current have the requisite SUV. Mini van with seats removed hold way way way more stuff and particularly taller stuff.

yeah but you dont have a penis because it doesn't have a hood

MagicHef
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

I'm sure your Sequoia is gargantuan, but a Grand Caravan actually has more cargo room, 144 cf to 120.

Deberg_1990
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Hope that helps.

Have fun squeezing you and your kids car seats inside your BMW 3 series.

NewChief
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
As with any other vehicle, two manufacturers stand out:

Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna

That is all.

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM

x5 bitch

ClevelandBronco
04-09-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm sorry. I wouldn't have any idea.

teedubya
04-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I drove a white minivan for 5 years... and I got pulled over only once. And I got ZERO women to look my way while driving.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:32 AM
As with any other vehicle, two manufacturers stand out:

Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna

That is all.

Is 28000 to much to pay for a 2012 Sienna with 29000 miles on it? The car is 21000, but with the trade in and all the other shit it'll probably be around 28

loochy
Is 28000 to much to pay for a 2012 Sienna with 29000 miles on it? The car is 21000, but with the trade in and all the other shit it'll probably be around 28

www.edmunds.com

www.kbb.com

stevieray
Phobia has a Toyota minivan for sale

durtyrute
I'm sorry. I wouldn't have any idea.

Thanks for the honesty

ClevelandBronco
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
x5 bitch

Once you get to a certain age and your back has experienced all the bending over you'll go through getting your first kid in and out of the back seat of your sedan, you'll begin to seriously consider whether your second kid is worth the price of an orthopedic surgeon or the indignity of driving a minivan.

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Once you get to a certain age and your back has experienced all the bending over you'll go through getting your first kid in and out of the back seat of your sedan, you'll begin to seriously consider whether your second kid is worth the price of an orthopedic surgeon or the indignity of driving a minivan.

this is an x5:

http://bmwws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bmw-x51.jpg

its for uppitty people with kids

morphius
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I'll say that you can get a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan for what you will pay for a 3-4 year old Toyota/Honda one if you look at one of the lower 2 models (American?, SE). Just a thought.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
If the baby isn't due till October that means ther's still time for an abortion and you won't need no stinkin minivan.

But if thats not an option I would suggest getting a RED minivan. I've got a RED minivan and it's been solid.

Other than that I think your questions are too vague to offer any more advice.

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:41 AM
you could probably pick up one of these for around $1000. There's plenty of room for the kids.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/12169573.jpg

DaKCMan AP
04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
x5 bitch

She probably prefers this:

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/images/q5/exterior/Q5_704x396_jpgs/Q5_704x396_ext1.jpg

stevieray
04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
I'll say that you can get a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan for what you will pay for a 3-4 year old Toyota/Honda one if you look at one of the lower 2 models (American?, SE). Just a thought.

DGC is a great vehickle!

KCUnited
04-09-2013, 10:46 AM
C'mon playa (not the beach), Astro van to keep that street cred.

Deberg_1990
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
What about one of these? These are still hip right?

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:50 AM
DGC is a great vehickle!

How long have you had yours and what year is it?

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
you could probably pick up one of these for around $1000. There's plenty of room for the kids.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/12169573.jpg

Can I sleep in the top?

loochy
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Can I sleep in the top?

no. it's extended like that so you can stand up and walk around

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I drove a white minivan for 5 years... and I got pulled over only once. And I got ZERO women to look my way while driving.

Didn't you have a Grand Caravan? How may mile when you got it and how much was it?

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
no. it's extended like that so you can stand up and walk around

:thumb: Sold

Richard_Cuckold
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
if you get a mini van I sure as hell hope you wont be the one driving it

If you do turn in your man card asap

stevieray
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Can I sleep in the top?

sure, but you might want to install guardrails...

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM

I'm married and currently have two girls. We have a cat, who is also a girl. I traded in a 05 Monte for a 09 cobalt. I lost my man card many moons ago.

BlackHelicopters
04-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Ice picks are available area wide for use on yourself.

jspchief
04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Isn't there an entire internet worth of this info? Start browsing dealer websites in your area.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Isn't there an entire internet worth of this info? Start browsing dealer websites in your area.

I never thought of that.........thanks

I'm trying to have conversations with people that might have gone through something similiar.

loochy
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
I never thought of that.........thanks

I'm trying to have conversations with people that might have gone through something similiar.

most of them probably did online research

Bugeater
04-09-2013, 11:45 AM
$28,000 is too much to pay for ANY vehicle IMO.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
most of them probably did online research

Wait, so you mean Chiefsplanet isn't online? :cuss: I demand a refund

Radar Chief
04-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Ain't gotta be like that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RifBFGQoTes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaKCMan AP
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

http://10minutesofbrilliance.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/all-sales-are-final.jpeg

loochy
04-09-2013, 12:28 PM

they probably did research that doesn't invlove asking incredibly vague questions

they probably checked out prices in their area for vehicles they are interested in, then they probably checked that against kbb or edumunds, then they probably read reviews regarding the particular class of vehicle, then they probably read reviews on whatever specific model of vehicle they narrowed it down to.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 12:37 PM
they probably did research that doesn't invlove asking incredibly vague questions

they probably checked out prices in their area for vehicles they are interested in, then they probably checked that against kbb or edumunds, then they probably read reviews regarding the particular class of vehicle, then they probably read reviews on whatever specific model of vehicle they narrowed it down to.

Yea, been there done that which is why I'm here now. I was looking for examples from people I can talk to not just read about

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Updated the Op

Dave Lane
04-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Are you this stupid in all parts of your life or do you have specialties?

Frosty
04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Anyone own a Sienna, Grand Caravan, or an Odyssey? How long? How many miles do you have? How are they holding up? What are the major problems if any?

We had a '01 Mazda MPV that was a pretty good rig. It was a little underpowered (they put a bigger engine in starting 2002) and kind of noisy. However, it was a good car and handy while we had it. They are a little smaller than some other brands which makes them easier to drive, IMO.

Looks like they stopped making them in 2006. You may be able to pick one up pretty cheap as they were never very popular.

We traded it in on a Honda CR-V which we liked much better and is a better fit (we only had two kids though).

loochy
04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Are you this stupid in all parts of your life or do you have specialties?

i thought his specialty was race relations

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
We had a '01 Mazda MPV that was a pretty good rig. It was a little underpowered (they put a bigger engine in starting 2002) and kind of noisy. However, it was a good car and handy while we had it. They are a little smaller than some other brands which makes them easier to drive, IMO.

Looks like they stopped making them in 2006. You may be able to pick one up pretty cheap as they were never very popular.

We traded it in on a Honda CR-V which we liked much better and is a better fit (we only had two kids though).

Thank you

NewChief
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Honda Pilot is also a good choice. The flip down 3rd row seating is good for us when we have to haul other people's kids around, and it's nice to be able to not have it when we're all heading on vacation with lots of bags and dog and such.

CrazyPhuD
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Dude he lives in Florida....car seats are for the trunk!

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Honda Pilot is also a good choice. The flip down 3rd row seating is good for us when we have to haul other people's kids around, and it's nice to be able to not have it when we're all heading on vacation with lots of bags and dog and such.

Is there a good amount of space with the third row up?

Frosty
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Most of the SUVs with three rows seem to have zero cargo room with the third row up. We looked into buying a Toyota Highlander once and you probably couldn't put a cooler in the back when you had all three rows in use. Haven't checked out the Pilot, though, so it may be different.

Our CR-V and Forester are perfect size for us, with two grown children. They would be tight with three kids.

It's funny now how people buy huge rigs now when they get a kid or two. My brother-in-law and his wife traded their Jeep Liberty in on a Ford Expedition when she got pregnant with their first.

When I was a kid, my dad was super cheap with cars. I and my two siblings grew up crammed in the back of VW Bugs, Ford Fiestas and Pinto wagons. LMAO (I know the child car seats now require more room).

loochy
04-09-2013, 01:21 PM
When I was a kid, my dad was super cheap with cars. I and my two siblings grew up crammed in the back of VW Bugs, Ford Fiestas and Pinto wagons. LMAO (I know the child car seats now require more room).

heh. we had a vw bug with the plastic seats. it was yellow and the fender was rusted through, but my dad had tried to put some bondo on it (which didn't work) so it was a kind of bluish grayish color on the fender.

KC native
04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Most of the SUVs with three rows seem to have zero cargo room with the third row up. We looked into buying a Toyota Highlander once and you probably couldn't put a cooler in the back when you had all three rows in use. Haven't checked out the Pilot, though, so it may be different.

Our CR-V and Forester are perfect size for us, with two grown children. They would be tight with three kids.

It's funny now how people buy huge rigs now when they get a kid or two. My brother-in-law and his wife traded their Jeep Liberty in on a Ford Expedition when she got pregnant with their first.

Fuck yea. I bitch at friends all the time that think they need a huge vehicle for one to two kids. Most never use the additional space. A 4 door sedan fits what most people need.

Frosty
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
When I was a kid, my dad was super cheap with cars. I and my two siblings grew up crammed in the back of VW Bugs, Ford Fiestas and Pinto wagons.

I forgot the Gremlin, Citation and Chevettes.

The Gremlin and Pintos were the worst because they had deep indentations on the outboard seats in back and a very prominent hump that was really uncomfortable.

Amnorix
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Got a Honda Odyssey back in '01 or so. Took it to about 130K miles. There was an issue with it, don't quite remember what (transmission starting to go, I think it was), so we traded it inf or another Odyssey.

That tells you how much I like the Odyssey right there.

Sure, maybe I need to turn in my man card, but that damn thing holds WAAAY more stuff than an SUV, especially if it's an odd shape (I can fit very long poles right down the middle of the SUV, and the second row seats come all the way out if I need them too, which gives me HUGE space advantages over any SUV). It's fuel efficient, seats up to 8, the third row collapses, which means even my wife can switch the third row from flat (for storage) into extra seating mode. It has a very good turn radius and is reliable as hell.

No idea what they cost used. I understand they hold their resale value pretty well though.

You want to act like you got a big dick -- get an SUV. You want a better vehicle that is typically better on gas, has more storage and that your wife will definitely like better? Get a minivan.

Heard good things about Siennas. Town & Country is overpriced last I checked (years ago). Don't know much about the rest.

Amnorix
04-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Fuck yea. I bitch at friends all the time that think they need a huge vehicle for one to two kids. Most never use the additional space. A 4 door sedan fits what most people need.

It's not the kids. It's the kids plus the baby stroller when you go to BJs or Costco or need to buy and bring home big whatever that you bought for the house.

Hell, I bought a full sized freezer unit (stand up model) from one of my mother's old friends and we slid that thing right into the back of the minivan (had to remove the second row of seats at home before heading over to get it). Try that with a freaking sedan...

loochy
04-09-2013, 01:39 PM
get one of those super ugly square ford things

edit: a ford FLEX. it looks turrble

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/THBn3bhy6sI/AAAAAAADNs0/3WPXw80ZhWo/s1600/Ford-Flex-39.jpg

Amnorix
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM

With the third row up, the Odyssey has enough room in the back ot put a limited amount of stuff. Assuming they were empty, you could definitely fit 3 coolers in the back -- stack two on top of each other and a third standing on its side.

Went and found a picture. You can see in this picture where, on the left, they have one side of the third row seat up, and they have put in a stroller behind it. That's about the room you've got.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJGf-VQkacgROo_Vijb4aJdNoXESe136dokswLqPr47o-Ufug1IQ

MagicHef
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
My Grand Caravan holds basically anything. Both the second and third row seats fold into the floor, so I can go from 7 seats to a ridiculous amount of room in literally seconds. I don't even have to store the seats anywhere.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Got a Honda Odyssey back in '01 or so. Took it to about 130K miles. There was an issue with it, don't quite remember what (transmission starting to go, I think it was), so we traded it inf or another Odyssey.

That tells you how much I like the Odyssey right there.

Sure, maybe I need to turn in my man card, but that damn thing holds WAAAY more stuff than an SUV, especially if it's an odd shape (I can fit very long poles right down the middle of the SUV, and the second row seats come all the way out if I need them too, which gives me HUGE space advantages over any SUV). It's fuel efficient, seats up to 8, the third row collapses, which means even my wife can switch the third row from flat (for storage) into extra seating mode. It has a very good turn radius and is reliable as hell.

No idea what they cost used. I understand they hold their resale value pretty well though.

You want to act like you got a big dick -- get an SUV. You want a better vehicle that is typically better on gas, has more storage and that your wife will definitely like better? Get a minivan.

Heard good things about Siennas. Town & Country is overpriced last I checked (years ago). Don't know much about the rest.

Thank you for the tips. Yea, the Mrs. is almost sick to her stomach about the thought of a mini van. I'm all ready for it. I want the room. I'm 6'4 and I'm tired of driving with my knees to my chest when we all pile into the NObalt

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
get one of those super ugly square ford things

edit: a ford FLEX. it looks turrble

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/THBn3bhy6sI/AAAAAAADNs0/3WPXw80ZhWo/s1600/Ford-Flex-39.jpg

I like those, but with the third row up there doesn't seem to be much room. Plus, those seats are thin and cheap.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
My Grand Caravan holds basically anything. Both the second and third row seats fold into the floor, so I can go from 7 seats to a ridiculous amount of room in literally seconds. I don't even have to store the seats anywhere.

What year? How much? How is it holding up?

Simply Red
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
She probably prefers this:

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/images/q5/exterior/Q5_704x396_jpgs/Q5_704x396_ext1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7DB3RjR.gif

MagicHef
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
What year? How much? How is it holding up?

2005, I bought it in 2010 for $6k. It's been holding up great, it has 140,000 miles, and the only thing I've had to do in three years was change the alternator.

I will say, though, that when someone vomits in it, the different hinges/clips to make the folding seats possible are a little hard to clean. That's only happened once, though.

ClevelandBronco
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
this is an x5:

its for uppitty people with kids

My bad. I don't pay much attention to German cars.

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
2005, I bought it in 2010 for $6k. It's been holding up great, it has 140,000 miles, and the only thing I've had to do in three years was change the alternator.

I will say, though, that when someone vomits in it, the different hinges/clips to make the folding seats possible are a little hard to clean. That's only happened once, though.

how many miles when you got it?

MagicHef
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
how many miles when you got it?

Hmm... good question. I think 100-110, maybe?

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Hmm... good question. I think 100-110, maybe?

Thanks for the info.....:thumb:

KC native
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
It's not the kids. It's the kids plus the baby stroller when you go to BJs or Costco or need to buy and bring home big whatever that you bought for the house.

Hell, I bought a full sized freezer unit (stand up model) from one of my mother's old friends and we slid that thing right into the back of the minivan (had to remove the second row of seats at home before heading over to get it). Try that with a freaking sedan...

Meh I have friends/neighbors with trucks and never go to big box retailers.

Frosty
04-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Meh I have friends/neighbors with trucks and never go to big box retailers.

I have a trailer for such things. No sense hauling a big rig around all of the time for occasional uses.

KC native
04-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I have a trailer for such things. No sense hauling a big rig around all of the time for occasional uses.

Yes, I try to explain that weight is weight and it kills gas mileage to the insistent on an SUV crowd. My wife has wanted an SUV or minivan for years. I refuse to own either. It doesn't make sense to have that capacity if you use it 1% of the time you are in the car.

Frosty
04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Yes, I try to explain that weight is weight and it kills gas mileage to the insistent on an SUV crowd. My wife has wanted an SUV or minivan for years. I refuse to own either. It doesn't make sense to have that capacity if you use it 1% of the time you are in the car.

We got rid of ours, thinking that on the very rare times we had to haul more than 5 people, we would just take two cars. :)

crossbow
04-09-2013, 03:32 PM
You might consider the family truckster.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LmnkWAw7prM/Skg0ruN12cI/AAAAAAAABY0/XtC2yzSLfg4/s400/BRBTVtruckster1.jpg

durtyrute
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
You might consider the family truckster.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LmnkWAw7prM/Skg0ruN12cI/AAAAAAAABY0/XtC2yzSLfg4/s400/BRBTVtruckster1.jpg

"This is crazy, This is crazy"