PDA

View Full Version : Life Equine [horse] science degrees in MO

Jenson71
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
It seems like there are a couple of equine science programs in Missouri, including William Woods U.

Ever hear about how these wind up from people? Is there a strong enough demand in the industry to warrant someone doing this if they love it that much?

Demonpenz
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you are going to be Ponying up some money.

Demonpenz
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
As long as you are doing what you live is the mane thing.

Hammock Parties
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Is this a good idea? I say neigh.

tooge
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
no room for horsing around in a program like that

Demonpenz
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
as long as you don't buck the system you will be fine.

Jenson71
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Honestly, I'm trying to have a serious discussion about this career, so if you could all stop trying to stirrup a bunch of trouble, I'd appreciate it.

tooge
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
you heard him guys. Lets rein it in a bit

Jenson71
04-11-2013, 11:38 AM
you heard him guys. Lets rein it in a bit

Thanks, tooge. I hope this thread can get back on saddle.

ChiTown
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.horseschools.com/ranking/overall.asp

William Woods at #9 overall for Equine Sciences Degree

Chief_For_Life58
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
what do u do with a horse degree? ride horses?

Demonpenz
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
take gallop polls

Prison Bitch
04-11-2013, 11:56 AM
You'll probably end your career working in a glue factory.

Jenson71
04-11-2013, 11:57 AM

I'm sure there are horse careers like training and farm management that would benefit from a degree in Equine Science. I'm really skeptical that it's enough of a demand for someone to want to get a degree in it, unless there were some really tremendous extenuating circumstances.

Jenson71
04-11-2013, 11:59 AM

But basically, I guess this is it, a lot. It also seems like many classes consist of learning how to perfect your riding technique.

mr. tegu
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
As long as you are there you should check to see if they offer a degree in pottery.

Jenson71
04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
As long as you are there you should check to see if they offer a degree in pottery.

Perhaps major in Equine science, minor in pottery. You could be the world's greatest trough maker.

mr. tegu
04-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Perhaps major in Equine science, minor in pottery. You could be the world's greatest trough maker.

LMAO

stevieray
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
horse psychology and horses are also used for theraputic purposes.

CrazyPhuD
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Horse it's the other other white meat!(wait that's not racist is it????)

Demonpenz
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
doubt you will see Eric Berry there.

Fish
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Horses are assholes. This is a bad idea...

Chief_For_Life58
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
i guess you could take the farm management side of things i didnt think about that. manage some rich fucks horse farm. thatd be cool i guess. do whatever makes you happy bro!

CrazyPhuD
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Which degree would you need to get to become a horse 'pimp'? Seems to be an increasingly popular occupation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enumclaw_horse_sex_case

NewChief
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
i guess you could take the farm management side of things i didnt think about that. manage some rich ****s horse farm. thatd be cool i guess. do whatever makes you happy bro!

I know someone who does this. I teach his son. The rich dide's family does horseshows all over the country. The trainers job is to drive the horses across country, take care of them, and get them ready for rich dude's daughters to fly in and compete. One of rich dide's daughters is also a student of mine.

Nickel D
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Some of the courses of the equine program feature guest lectures by Colt McCoy and Colt Griffin.

Chief_For_Life58
04-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I know someone who does this. I teach his son. The rich dide's family does horseshows all over the country. The trainers job is to drive the horses across country, take care of them, and get them ready for rich dude's daughters to fly in and compete. One of rich dide's daughters is also a student of mine.

pics

blaise
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm sure there's valuable animal husbandry classes you could take if you want to get into that field.
I lived on a horse ranch as a kid, and our income was from stabling horses, we sold some tack and did some training. And breeding, buying and selling. I think animal husbandry classes could probably teach updated techniques on some of the breeding and care stuff.
But kind of like you said, you have to really love it. I think of all the mornings I got up to feed and water, and all the stalls I cleaned, hay I threw, etc. And my brother and I were basically free labor.

NewChief
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
But kind of like you said, you have to really love it. I think of all the mornings I got up to feed and water, and all the stalls I cleaned, hay I threw, etc. And my brother and I were basically free labor.

My parents let me get horses in 7th grade. We stabled them in a pasture next door. The barn was about 1/2 mile away.

I think I learned a lot of life lessons over the two years I had horses. In the winter, I had to get up every day and go feed the horses before school, in the cold and dark. I'd ride my 4-wheeler to the barn every day, freezing my little balls off.

I'm not even sure that the horses had to be fed every morning, but my parents made me do it to teach me about life. That's how they rolled.

Chief_For_Life58
04-11-2013, 02:47 PM
My parents let me get horses in 7th grade. We stabled them in a pasture next door. The barn was about 1/2 mile away.

I think I learned a lot of life lessons over the two years I had horses. In the winter, I had to get up every day and go feed the horses before school, in the cold and dark. I'd ride my 4-wheeler to the barn every day, freezing my little balls off.

I'm not even sure that the horses had to be fed every morning, but my parents made me do it to teach me about life. That's how they rolled.

word

blaise
04-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Yep. Almost identical to what I did.