PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Is golf a sport tom watson wears depends and a 14 year old ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Non sport

Canofbier
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
THIS IS AMERICA AND WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok do respond

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
THIS IS AMERICA AND WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE

Or is thAt to hard to read buddy

Bugeater
Looks like we have a late entry for Douche of the Year.

loochy
Ban plz

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Ban plz

this

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Lol well i guess yall are confused youve been watching chiefs football the defintion of sport must be confusing

Dante84
04-12-2013, 05:01 PM
What is this I don't even

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
What is this I don't even you dont what? Finish thoughts

Pasta Little Brioni
04-12-2013, 05:03 PM
It may cause butthurt, but he's right.

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
No its a game. Nascar isnt a sport either, and all you redneck hillbillies that disagree can eat a dick.

Chief_For_Life58
golf is a sport. youre moving your body, using your brain, burning calories, and competing against other people. convince me golf is not a sport

barry_smilez20
Exactly

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM
golf is a sport. youre moving your body, using your brain, burning calories, and competing against other people. convince me golf is not a sport

Man is 63 shitting himself on course and a 14 year old 8th grader do you need me to speak slower to you

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 05:06 PM
And what 100 calories every 18 holes

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 05:07 PM

I once joined.a dart league competion calorie burn

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:08 PM
...and thats why you think golf is not a sport? wow we got a genius over here

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
san marcos texas is breeding some winners

lcarus
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Man is 63 shitting himself on course and a 14 year old 8th grader do you need me to speak slower to you

So basically you're saying to qualify as a sport, the participants must be age 18-35 and still shit in a toilet. Let me call Merriam-Webster, we have a new definition here.

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I actually heard some moron on the radio yesterday say Tiger Woods is a better athlete than Michael Jordan was. LMAO

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:11 PM
I actually heard some moron on the radio yesterday say Tiger Woods is a better athlete than Michael Jordan was. LMAO

whats YOUR definition of an athlete?

Trevo_410

They have some fine women down there as well...:drool:

Pasta Little Brioni
Is that an Ecto-Cooler av?

I was thinking about the stuff and bout made a joke the other day about it, heh.

kcjayhawks5

This guy is high AF

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
whats YOUR definition of an athlete?Someone that's athletic. My definition of athletic is: Physically strong, fit, and active. Do you think Tiger Woods is more athletic than Michael Jordan was? Do you think golf is as physically demanding as basketball or any other "real" sport is?

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Technically golf is a sport, but technically bowling is too.

TLO
Ban hammer.

lcarus
Is that an Ecto-Cooler av?

I was thinking about the stuff and bout made a joke the other day about it, heh.

Yeah I made a thread about it a few years ago. Stuff was great. I want some right now.

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Someone that's athletic. My definition of athletic is: Physically strong, fit, and active. Do you think Tiger Woods is more athletic than Michael Jordan was? Do you think golf is as physically demanding as basketball or any other "real" sport is?

well id say tiger is strong fit and active.
obviously no hes not more athletic than mike lol
and no, golf is no where as physically demanding.
Id still rather live tigers life than micheals.

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Whose the bigger winner in their respective sport?
Micheal or Tiger?

lcarus
04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Micheal or Tiger?

Pretty close as I see it. They're both the face of their sports. It's kinda like asking which Olsen twin you'd rather bang. Sure, there might be an answer, and people may have different opinions and arguments, but really it's about the same.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah I made a thread about it a few years ago. Stuff was great. I want some right now.

Must be that Ecto dude that made it fresh in our minds.

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Micheal or Tiger?Jordan and its not even close. But even if Tiger was, do you think that qualifies him as a better athlete?

lcarus
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Must be that Ecto dude that made it fresh in our minds.

You know what...I didn't even think of that. Probably saw his name and subconsciously started thinking about it.

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Pretty close as I see it. They're both the face of their sports. It's kinda like asking which Olsen twin you'd rather bang. Sure, there might be an answer, and people may have different opinions and arguments, but really it's about the same. Jordan is hands down the greatest basketball player ever, not many would argue that. Tiger is still looking up at Jack.

Deberg_1990
04-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Are horse jockeys and race car drivers athletes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
04-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Save Our Chiefs single handedly rescued this team from retards and bad GM's. They are the reason the future is bright for the team.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Are horse jockeys and race car drivers athletes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope and nope.

griZZly64
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Looks like we have a late entry for Douche of the Year.

First time I read the title im like daahh fuck??

lcarus
04-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Jordan is hands down the greatest basketball player ever, not many would argue that. Tiger is still looking up at Jack.

Well yeah, if I had to pick I'd go with Jordan. Right now anyway. In 20 years who knows.

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Jordan and its not even close. But even if Tiger was, do you think that qualifies him as a better athlete?

Id base whose the better athlete on who would win in a decathlon and mike would definitely beat tiger.
Id still rather live Tigers life over Micheals. thats just my opinion.
Fly all over the world on a private jet playing golf at the best courses in the respective countries staying at 5 star resorts being paid millions of dollars. and oh yeah tigers a billionaire. well used to be until his divorce lol

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Jordan is hands down the greatest basketball player ever, not many would argue that. Tiger is still looking up at Jack.

Lebron would beat Jordan in a one on one to 11

lcarus
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Lebron would beat Jordan in a one on one to 11

I could beat Lebron at horse. I'd just shoot free throws.

Nah...he'd still probably beat me.

Sully
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Tony Siragusa was on Howard Stern a few months ago. Pretty funny. Talked about one game, playing for the Colts (white pants), and how he was so hungover he had the shits. Tried to tape his ass cheeks shut... Didn't work.

ChiefRocka
04-12-2013, 05:31 PM
It's more of a sport now than it has ever been dumbass.

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:33 PM
I guess my 300 lb boss and his uncle (the owner) who is pushing 400 that go golfing every weekend are athletes since they play a "sport". And no, they aren't built like lineman. They breathe heavy walking from their desk to the cooler for a snack.

Chief_For_Life58
04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Tony Siragusa was on Howard Stern a few months ago. Pretty funny. Talked about one game, playing for the Colts (white pants), and how he was so hungover he had the shits. Tried to tape his ass cheeks shut... Didn't work.

lol that reminds me of this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y6hu4aLXv7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

58-4ever
04-12-2013, 05:41 PM
A Texas guy that loves a Detroit team, but mainly a guy from Kansas and Oklahoma. I think I know enough about you to never open your threads again.

58-4ever
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
I guess my 300 lb boss and his uncle (the owner) who is pushing 400 that go golfing every weekend are athletes since they play a "sport". And no, they aren't built like lineman. They breathe heavy walking from their desk to the cooler for a snack.

Anyone can play a sport, but not everyone is an athlete. There is a distinct line that you're missing.

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Anyone can play a sport, but not everyone is an athlete. There is a distinct line that you're missing.No, I get it. Like I said, technically by Webster definition it is a sport...but so is bowling. Anyone with any common sense doesn't consider it one though.

lcarus
04-12-2013, 05:48 PM
No, I get it. Like I said, technically by Webster definition it is a sport...but so is bowling. Anyone with any common sense doesn't consider it one though.

More of just a common perception really. And I agree.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
As an avid golfer, here's the line of demarcation:

If you walk while you play, then yes, golf is a sport. If you're like the thousands of pussies riding carts and smoking cigars while shooting the shit and drinking beer during mens' leagues, then no, that's not a sport.

lcarus
04-12-2013, 06:08 PM

If you walk while you play, then yes, golf is a sport. If you're like the thousands of pussies riding carts and smoking cigars while shooting the shit and drinking beer during mens' leagues, then no, that's not a sport.

What if you ride a cart and smoke cigars but can drive the ball 500 yards?

MTG#10
04-12-2013, 06:10 PM

If you walk while you play, then yes, golf is a sport. If you're like the thousands of pussies riding carts and smoking cigars while shooting the shit and drinking beer during mens' leagues, then no, that's not a sport.Is shopping a sport if you walk instead of ride one of those little scooter things? :D

Hootie
04-12-2013, 06:12 PM

Disagree.

Golf is a sport no matter what. Anyone who is good at golf is an athlete, plain and simple.

Is basketball not a sport when a bunch of fat dipshits play a pickup game and can't dribble the ball, shoot with two hands, and have no concept of the game?

The only "sport" that I'm willing to debate about whether or not it is a sport is bowling. I'm a 185 bowler...and I learned how to do that in 1 week. My friend was like, "dude, you have to throw a hook or you'll always suck." So I learned how to throw a hook without a thumb...and then once I was comfortable to use my thumb I was suddenly a decent enough bowler.

But yeah...if you can break a 90 playing golf honestly (no cheating), and consistently...you're an athlete, and that takes talent, and it's a sport.

but you could play the whole "If you're like the thousands of pussies riding carts and smoking cigars while shooting the shit and drinking beer during mens' leagues" for each and every sport there is

lcarus
04-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Is shopping a sport if you walk instead of ride one of those little scooter things? :D

It is if you're racing one of those scooters against someone else.

hometeam
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lopaoct3pn1qkx0x3o1_400.gif

Hootie
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
as someone who has an uncle that is a golf pro and a father who is a 3 handicap...

I'm absolutely fucking baffled by how they are so damn good. I have tried to learn, and have excelled at times on the range...I feel like my swing is perfect.

But I just get fucking worse with age. I just find golf to infuriating to play now. I have always excelled at sports so when I don't excel at something I get infuriated...but 3 years ago I started hitting my driver a consistent 250 and I hit it straight.

I played one round of golf with my dad that summer and he tweaked something, and his friend tweaked something...and now I'm all fucked in the head...and for the first time in my life I slice the shit out of the ball and it's insane. It's unfixable. I used to pull the ball...now I slice it. I don't get it.

I am pretty weird though. I played baseball my whole life and couldn't bat right handed...I hit lefty, I played hockey lefty...did everything else righty. Threw, everything. And I was a good hitter...

I golf right handed. My dad taught me as a kid that golfing lefty was fucking retarded and made me golf right handed and it feels 100% natural to me. There have been years where I was a 90-100 golfer...

but last year...fuck, I was horrible. My drives were CONSISTENTLY out of bounds to where I had to stop using my driver. There was nothing I could do to fix it on the range, either. It was like a true tin cup experience for me and it made me want to never play golf again. And I probably won't.

Unfortuately with my recent knee injury that doesn't want to get better I can no longer play flag football or softball (competitively) either...

so I'm down to fucking bowling.

lcarus
04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
as someone who has an uncle that is a golf pro and a father who is a 3 handicap...

I'm absolutely fucking baffled by how they are so damn good. I have tried to learn, and have excelled at times on the range...I feel like my swing is perfect.

But I just get fucking worse with age. I just find golf to infuriating to play now. I have always excelled at sports so when I don't excel at something I get infuriated...but 3 years ago I started hitting my driver a consistent 250 and I hit it straight.

I played one round of golf with my dad that summer and he tweaked something, and his friend tweaked something...and now I'm all fucked in the head...and for the first time in my life I slice the shit out of the ball and it's insane. It's unfixable. I used to pull the ball...now I slice it. I don't get it.

I am pretty weird though. I played baseball my whole life and couldn't bat right handed...I hit lefty, I played hockey lefty...did everything else righty. Threw, everything. And I was a good hitter...

I golf right handed. My dad taught me as a kid that golfing lefty was fucking retarded and made me golf right handed and it feels 100% natural to me. There have been years where I was a 90-100 golfer...

but last year...fuck, I was horrible. My drives were CONSISTENTLY out of bounds to where I had to stop using my driver. There was nothing I could do to fix it on the range, either. It was like a true tin cup experience for me and it made me want to never play golf again. And I probably won't.

Unfortuately with my recent knee injury that doesn't want to get better I can no longer play flag football or softball (competitively) either...

Yeah golf is just hard and frustrating for me. I enjoy going out to the driving range occasionally though.

Canofbier
04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
How in the fuck did this thread actually beget real sports discussion?

lcarus
04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
How in the fuck did this thread actually beget real sports discussion?

Some of us just decoded the retard language and tried to treat it like any other thread I guess.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Disagree.

Golf is a sport no matter what. Anyone who is good at golf is an athlete, plain and simple.

Is basketball not a sport when a bunch of fat dipshits play a pickup game and can't dribble the ball, shoot with two hands, and have no concept of the game?

The only "sport" that I'm willing to debate about whether or not it is a sport is bowling. I'm a 185 bowler...and I learned how to do that in 1 week. My friend was like, "dude, you have to throw a hook or you'll always suck." So I learned how to throw a hook without a thumb...and then once I was comfortable to use my thumb I was suddenly a decent enough bowler.

But yeah...if you can break a 90 playing golf honestly (no cheating), and consistently...you're an athlete, and that takes talent, and it's a sport.

but you could play the whole "If you're like the thousands of pussies riding carts and smoking cigars while shooting the shit and drinking beer during mens' leagues" for each and every sport there is

Here's the difference:

Walking while playing takes stamina. As you lose steam walking a course over the course of the day it affects your swing, making it harder for you to stay down through shots, fire your body through the ball, and maintain a consistent coil in your backswing.

Even though people may fuck it up and play terribly, the aerobic part of basketball is also taxing and necessary to actually play the game.

Cornstock
04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Walking golf actually does take a great deal of stamina. Being outside in 90+ degrees for 4.5+ hours in a tournament is not for the meek. Then do that for 4 days straight. Conversely, playing in bad weather is just as tough. You have to shut out the heat/cold, sweat/rain, annoying galleries at times, slow play of other golfers, etc. To maintain focus for that long is one of the toughest things I've ever had to do. I've played in many a tournament and when I've been in my best physical form I've played the best. But any golfer will tell you that its just as mental.

lcarus
04-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Here's the difference:

Walking while playing takes stamina. As you lose steam walking a course over the course of the day it affects your swing, making it harder for you to stay down through shots, fire your body through the ball, and maintain a consistent coil in your backswing.

Even though people may fuck it up and play terribly, the aerobic part of basketball is also taxing and necessary to actually play the game.

I'm your typical white boy basketball player. I'm super fast (well...used to be) but my stamina is shit and I can't jump and am not a great ball handler. But god damn I can shoot. We played a 5 on 5 full court game a couple years ago, and in warmups my teammates were like "god damn that white boy can shoot" but then after a couple sprints up and down the court my legs were gone and I couldn't shoot worth a shit. Anyway, sorry for the story. Carry on.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 06:25 PM

First of all, everyone has a "this is how you fix a slice" thought, but 90% of golfers slice, so take all with a grain of salt, this one included.

The difference between a pull and a slice is the face angle of the club at impact. In both cases the swing path (the arc the club travels0 is the same, but with a cut the face is open and with a pull its closed.

That said:

It's happening for two reasons:

1) You're throwing your right shoulder at the ball, which fucks up your swing plane.

2) Your clubface is open.

Focus on two things:

1) Strengthen your grip. The V formed by your thumb and forefinger should point at your right shoulder as you address the ball

2) Feel like you are holding your right shoulder back as you begin the downswing. If you can do this without losing your spine angle you'll put the club in the slot and hit it from the inside. If you have the same grip that used to cause a pull, it will now be a draw.

Hootie
04-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Here's the difference:

Even though people may **** it up and play terribly, the aerobic part of basketball is also taxing and necessary to actually play the game.

I realize I'm in better shape than most people in this lazy world...

but I've walked 36 holes in summer heat and I don't feel like it has ever effected me a bit...

I just don't think it's fair to say people who ride a cart aren't playing a sport because they are riding a cart...that doesn't make sense to me. I'm no better in a cart than I am when I'm walking. In fact, I'm probably better when I walk but my fat lazy friends don't ever want to walk.

If your point is that fat lazy people aren't athletes than for the most part I'll agree with you...but you see them play softball, basketball and golf so I don't think anyone tries to argue that the first two aren't sports because of that.

My dad and uncle are avid golfers and both played hockey at MSU...once my dad's hockey career was over he shifted to golf and is an amazing golfer...I find it hard to believe someone with no athletic ability to could pick up a golf club and, with practice, become a good golfer...

you have to have athletic ability to be able to swing a golf club and make that piece of shit ball do what you're trying to do

Ace Gunner
04-12-2013, 06:26 PM
not confused. yer a douche.

Hootie
04-12-2013, 06:29 PM
First of all, everyone has a "this is how you fix a slice" thought, but 90% of golfers slice, so take all with a grain of salt, this one included.

The difference between a pull and a slice is the face angle of the club at impact. In both cases the swing path (the arc the club travels is the same), but with a cut the face is open and with a pull its closed.

That said:

It's happening for two reasons:

1) You're throwing your right shoulder at the ball, which ****s up your swing plane.

2) Your clubface is open.

Focus on two things:

1) Strengthen your grip. The V formed by your thumb and forefinger should point at your right shoulder as you address the ball

2) Feel like you are holding your right shoulder back as you begin the downswing. If you can do this without losing your spine angle you'll put the club in the slot and hit it from the inside. If you have the same grip that used to cause a pull, it will now be a draw.

The one thing I do have is a fantastic grip. That has been perfected over the years by two family members who make me have 50001023402 swing thoughts before I swing the club which has probably done way more god damn damage than good.

as for 2)

Man, I'll certainly try. I love golf. I just hate sucking at it. It infuriates me because my whole life I've watched people be good at it.

I'm going to have to try some things at the range this year...

lcarus
04-12-2013, 06:31 PM
The one thing I do have is a fantastic grip. That has been perfected over the years by two family members who make me......

If I entered this thread knowing nothing about it and read these two sentences.....

Hootie
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
If I entered this thread knowing nothing about it and read these two sentences.....

haha that is funny

GloryDayz
04-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Non sport

What a fucking dumbass! Your poor fucking keyboard!

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 06:36 PM
I realize I'm in better shape than most people in this lazy world...

but I've walked 36 holes in summer heat and I don't feel like it has ever effected me a bit...

I just don't think it's fair to say people who ride a cart aren't playing a sport because they are riding a cart...that doesn't make sense to me. I'm no better in a cart than I am when I'm walking. In fact, I'm probably better when I walk but my fat lazy friends don't ever want to walk.

If your point is that fat lazy people aren't athletes than for the most part I'll agree with you...but you see them play softball, basketball and golf so I don't think anyone tries to argue that the first two aren't sports because of that.

My dad and uncle are avid golfers and both played hockey at MSU...once my dad's hockey career was over he shifted to golf and is an amazing golfer...I find it hard to believe someone with no athletic ability to could pick up a golf club and, with practice, become a good golfer...

you have to have athletic ability to be able to swing a golf club and make that piece of shit ball do what you're trying to do

I'll certainly admit that my stance is out of the mainstream. I personally think that when riding a cart they are removing an essential element of what makes difficult. The mental tax is still there, but the physical element isn't.

I routinely went out and walked during the dog ass days last summer, and by the end of the round I was definitely fatigued and it affected my game. I think walking makes golf more physically demanding, but mentally easier.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
The one thing I do have is a fantastic grip. That has been perfected over the years by two family members who make me have 50001023402 swing thoughts before I swing the club which has probably done way more god damn damage than good.

as for 2)

Man, I'll certainly try. I love golf. I just hate sucking at it. It infuriates me because my whole life I've watched people be good at it.

I'm going to have to try some things at the range this year...

Your dad's success in hockey helped make him a great golfer, as the action of a slapshot is the best analogue for a correct golf swing.

If you are the more hard-headed type, just put a 2x4 just to the outside of your ball. You'll either fix your swing plane or break your wrist.

Jerm
04-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Your dad's success in hockey helped make him a great golfer, as the action of a slapshot is the best analogue for a correct golf swing.

If you are the more hard-headed type, just put a 2x4 just to the outside of your ball. You'll either fix your swing plane or break your wrist.

Depending on the course it can be even worse too...i remember walking Augusta when I went there and just walking it I thought I was going to keel over. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to caddy there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Depending on the course it can be even worse too...i remember walking Augusta when I went there and just walking it I thought I was going to keel over. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to caddy there.

There is a course in CoMo called A.L. Gustin. Aside from being a sack of shit golf course, it is the hilliest motherfucker imaginable. Every hole is like a goddamned Stairmaster.

I was in Scotland two years ago w/ my brother-in-law and for one round he wore Footjoys that have wood built into the sole's support structure. Since the ground over there is like concrete, he wanted to kill himself at the end of the round.

barry_smilez20
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Alright fuck nut

Braincase
04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Sports are as much about finesse and accuracy as they are about shear power. Golf is a sport, and one of the most difficult sports to master. Get you handicap below 10, and then grunt/groan/bitch/moan.

Tell you what, 20 dollar Nassau, any golf course in KC, your choice. Week of April 22nd.

EdmontonChiefsFan
04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Non sport

Ok then, go out and play golf. When you can play 18 holes and shoot par, only then can you come back here and say it isn't a sport. And IF you ever manage to shoot par you will understand why it is a sport. Until then STFU !!!!!!

lcarus
04-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Ok then, go out and play golf. When you can play 18 holes and shoot par, only then can you come back here and say it isn't a sport. And IF you ever manage to shoot par you will understand why it is a sport. Until then STFU !!!!!!

Go play Call of Duty. Play 18 whole matches of Team Deathmatch and IF you manage to get a kill death ratio of 2.0 or higher come back here and say it isn't a sport. Until then STFU !!!!!! (but really I agree with you that golf is a sport)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Sports are as much about finesse and accuracy as they are about shear power. Golf is a sport, and one of the most difficult sports to master. Get you handicap below 10, and then grunt/groan/bitch/moan.

Tell you what, 20 dollar Nassau, any golf course in KC, your choice. Week of April 22nd.

Yeah. That'll convince him. Fucking moron

Hammock Parties
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Golf is a sport!

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Puerto+Rico+Open+presented+Banco+Popular+Round+TDhX3qVxuv7l.jpg

http://o.static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/04/12/041113-Golf-Craig-Stadler-DG_20130412111159407_600_400.JPG

TribalElder
04-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Tom Watson is the man

Depends or not

You can suck it

EdmontonChiefsFan
04-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Go play Call of Duty. Play 18 whole matches of Team Deathmatch and IF you manage to get a kill death ratio of 2.0 or higher come back here and say it isn't a sport. Until then STFU !!!!!! (but really I agree with you that golf is a sport)

Fair point, but it's not quite the same. There are many things that are hard and require hours/days/weeks/years of dedication and persistence. My point was, nobody could become a par golfer without being able to recognize it as a sport, which it most definitely is.

lcarus
04-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Fair point, but it's not quite the same. There are many things that are hard and require hours/days/weeks/years of dedication and persistence. My point was, nobody could become a par golfer without being able to recognize it as a sport, which it most definitely is.

I'm not sure I understand. Out of all the activities that require large amounts of time and dedication in order to succeed, golf is one of those activities, but on top of dedicating the same time and dedication you would in other activities, you'd have to define the activity as a "sport" in your mind? What if someone wanted to get good at golf but didn't think it was a sport at all, but rather a fun activity no different than chess, competitive video games, or guitar playing?

EdmontonChiefsFan
04-12-2013, 11:12 PM
It's not up to me to define what "is" and what "is not" a sport, and I am not trying to do so. My only point is I challenge anybody to shoot par and then say "golf is not a sport". That is all.

Simply Red
04-12-2013, 11:26 PM
but my thing is - Golf is not really a sport.

lcarus
04-12-2013, 11:26 PM
It's not up to me to define what "is" and what "is not" a sport, and I am not trying to do so. My only point is I challenge anybody to shoot par and then say "golf is not a sport". That is all.

I agree with you that golf is a sport. A sport requires physical athleticism and/or physical dexterity. The people who don't consider it a sport feel that way because they perceive the word to mean something more in line with how they personally see the word used. In one person's world of "sports" they may watch or play football, basketball, and wrestling, and golf just doesn't seem to fit.

Now if they wanna call it a pussy sport, fair enough lol.

Hammock Parties
04-12-2013, 11:29 PM

It's definitely a sport.

And so is bowling!

Simply Red
04-12-2013, 11:37 PM
there's just nothing reactionary - it's more like bocce ball or billiards, maybe snooker - yes - it's very similar to Snooker. I don't consider Snooker a sport, it's just like that - it's a game, at best.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2013, 11:39 PM
there's just nothing reactionary - .

More informational than argumentative, but this is about 99% true, as truly elite golfers can actually save a poor swing with perfect timing in their hands. Tiger Woods used to do it all the time when he'd get "stuck".

lcarus
04-12-2013, 11:42 PM
There's a site called ProCon.org, which describes itself as a nonpartisan research organization devoted to critical thinking on controversial issues (lol) and they had this debate. People use the definition of "sport" and "game" and it's basically kinda...both. Popular Science determined that whether one would call golf a sport or not depends on if you have a set of clubs in the garage.

Shit like this fascinates me. I had a big stupid argument with a co-worker about whether a "pastel" is a painting or not. I claimed that calling it a pastel was fine, he was adamant that calling it a painting was wrong and that I was an idiot. The American Association of Pastels (or something like that, I can't remember) claimed that pastels were paintings. I talked to other artists that said they were not.

So basically what shit like this comes down to is...nobody is really right or wrong. It's just like...your opinion man. After seeing debates and having debates about shit like this, I've come to the conclusion that dictionary definitions can basically go fuck themselves. Language isn't set in stone for all eternity. Language and words evolve and change meaning and become new meanings all the time.

If I say "Hey that homosexual on CP was a real ass today" and EVERYONE knows that I meant Blackbob, does it really matter whether he truly likes penis or not? If I say a word and it is clearly understood, does the true Merriam-Webster definition matter?

Simply Red
04-12-2013, 11:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xjcZKuT.jpg

stevieray
04-12-2013, 11:46 PM
damn..that must be why the golf clubs are in the kitchen ware department..

:rolleyes:

lcarus
04-12-2013, 11:49 PM
damn..that must be why the golf clubs are in the kitchen ware department..

:rolleyes:

A golfer could out putt me with a nice pair of BBQ tongs. A pool shark could beat me at pool with a tire iron.

That doesn't have any significance to anything. I just felt like saying it.

stevieray
Putters on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond

This Weekend Only!

stevieray
A golfer could out putt me with a nice pair of BBQ tongs. A pool shark could beat me at pool with a tire iron.

That doesn't have any significance to anything. I just felt like saying it.

:rockon:

lcarus
04-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Putters on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond

This Weekend Only!

Holy crap, they really are!

http://images.cb2.com/is/image/CB2/CurtainRodSetS12?wid=1000&hei=1000

It's not as good as a Titleist, but it could get the job done.

stevieray
04-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Holy crap, they really are!

It's not as good as a Titleist, but it could get the job done.

rockoff...that's clearly a wedge

lcarus
04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
rockoff

Tiger could give me his set of clubs and use nothing but his feet and still beat me by 30 strokes.

stevieray
04-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Tiger could give me his set of clubs and use nothing but his feet and still beat me by 30 strokes.

ooooooooooooooooooooooook

Gonzo
04-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Hey guys is bowling a sport cuz will manjensen wear cup and can has 12 year old. I love lamp.

lcarus
04-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey guys is bowling a sport cuz will manjensen wear cup and can has 12 year old. I love lamp.

You can pull a hammy bowling, so yeah it's a sport. Well crap, then I guess masturbating in a kiddy pool full of lasagna has to be a sport too. Nevermind...

hometeam
04-13-2013, 12:11 AM

ROFLROFL

SLAG
04-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Golf is a sport in the same way that women are allowed to work

Dylan
04-13-2013, 01:03 AM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ehRWmA11kqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bushwacker: America's greatest athlete - The best of all time.
World Champion. He even has his own Fathead wall poster.

Stewie
04-13-2013, 06:45 AM
The only real sport is the decathlon and the only real athletes are decathletes. Nothing else compares.

Al Bundy
04-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Golf is an activity, but it isn't a sport.

Spott
04-13-2013, 07:16 AM
It's a non athletic sport. You can be an athlete that plays golf but you don't have to be an athlete to be any good at it. It's about the same as playing billiards but doing it outside. Watson just about beat all these guys a couple of years ago in one of the majors. There's no real athleticism involved if a 60 year old can go toe to toe with a bunch of 20 something year olds for 4 days.

GloryDayz
04-13-2013, 07:30 AM
:spock::spock::spock::spock:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/919/085/PJ-BK010_FATJER_G_20121003001607_crop_exact.jpeg?w=340&h=234&q=75

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Golf is a sport!

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Puerto+Rico+Open+presented+Banco+Popular+Round+TDhX3qVxuv7l.jpg

http://o.static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/04/12/041113-Golf-Craig-Stadler-DG_20130412111159407_600_400.JPG

Gonzo
04-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Golf is an activity, but it isn't a sport.

This is true when:
You ride in a cart, smoke a pack of camels and drink a 6 pack.

This is not true when:
You carry your clubs for 18 holes, you physically strengthen yourself and train your body in order to better yourself for the game.

Is archery a sport? What about competitive shooting? It all depends on how hard you work at it.

milkman
04-13-2013, 08:14 AM
On what part of his body does Tom Watson wear a 14 year old?

morphius
04-13-2013, 08:31 AM
As a bowler with years of over 200 averages, and even some injuries, I will say that I just don't consider it nor golf sports. But I also don't consider racing, driving or running, to be sports either. Pretty much my definition follows along the line of it being an athletic competition where the opponent has a direct influence on the opposite opponent. I know others have some higher standards, because my def allows ping pong to be a sport, lol.

Deberg_1990
04-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Is archery a sport? What about competitive shooting? It all depends on how hard you work at it.

These are learned skillsets. Like bowling and swinging a golf club. Not much athleticism involved.

ChiefRocka
04-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Yeah and in today's game almost all fat, young and old golfers can't compete.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-13-2013, 08:42 AM
:spock::spock::spock::spock:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/919/085/PJ-BK010_FATJER_G_20121003001607_crop_exact.jpeg?w=340&h=234&q=75

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

You do realize those fat fucks in the above picture can probably out run your ass and lift your car mentos style, while the fat fucks below well they could still probably out run you, but they can't even power walk ROFL

lcarus
04-13-2013, 08:48 AM
You do realize those fat fucks in the above picture can probably out run your ass and lift your car mentos style, while the fat fucks below well they could still probably out run you, but they can't even power walk ROFL

Mentos style lol. Yeah those dudes can all probably run 5.0 40s. Half a second slower than Jamaal Charles basically lol. They're pretty fast considering they're huge.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Golf is definitely a sport. A damn hard one too. If you disagree oh well you are not in the majority so get over it.

Rausch
04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Golf is a skill.

It's like Darts, Bowling, or knowing how to get your wife to cook on gameday and consider it a compliment...

Pasta Little Brioni
04-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Golf is definitely a sport. A damn hard one too. If you disagree oh well you are not in the majority so get over it.

I call bullshit on that

Discuss Thrower
04-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Man vs man. Man vs the weather / course. Man vs himself.

Just because its a game played by duffers and old codgers on the weekends doesn't it make it any less of a sport.

Rausch
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Man vs man. Man vs the weather / course. Man vs himself.

Just because its a game played by duffers and old codgers on the weekends doesn't it make it any less of a sport.

Or......

http://www.d.umn.edu/~elli0439/peter_griffin.jpg

Chief Roundup
04-13-2013, 09:36 AM
I call bullshit on that

Here is the very definition. Most people agree in the definition as well.
Sport: is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Therefore Golf is a sport and the majority of educated people would agree with that whether or not they like the sport.

J Diddy
04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
On what part of his body does Tom Watson wear a 14 year old?

depends

Rausch
04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
depends

LMAO

Rausch
04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
depends

It says I have to spread it around more but there's no way I agree with you this much...:hmmm:

lcarus
04-13-2013, 09:55 AM
It says I have to spread it around more but there's no way I agree with you this much...:hmmm:

More Rausch love for the rest of us!

morphius
04-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Here is the very definition. Most people agree in the definition as well.
Sport: is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Therefore Golf is a sport and the majority of educated people would agree with that whether or not they like the sport.
Yes, but using that definition card games and checkers are sports since they are mind games. What the rest of us are saying is that the definition has become to vague. Nobody is saying that it is easy to be good at, or that we don't like golf, but just because some people want to call everything they do a sport, doesn't mean that it should be.

- edit - Hell, by the definition the jokers on that stupid cable show bidding on storage sheds could be a sport. Trying to get others to spend their money by forcing them to bid up is a mind game...

Chief Roundup
04-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes, but using that definition card games and checkers are sports since they are mind games. What the rest of us are saying is that the definition has become to vague. Nobody is saying that it is easy to be good at, or that we don't like golf, but just because some people want to call everything they do a sport, doesn't mean that it should be.

Only if you are using just one of the definitions I provided. A person has to use all of those definitions together to get to the best categorization. A sport still has to be physical with exertion and rules governing that physicality as well as a skill that works with that physicality.

LiveSteam
04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Non sport

Girly ball

GloryDayz
04-13-2013, 11:19 AM

But but but but, I have a truck........but I get your point. I'm just pointing out that washboard abs isn't a requirement to be an athlete.

The truth is, beyond common sense, it's difficult to define a sport. Many have argues that baseball isn't based on the number of fat guys in the sport. Some argue that there has to be some kind of increased and sustained heart rate.

I don't know, but we'll debate this lame topic for years to come...

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 11:23 AM
The worst thing about the masters is all the time spent wasting watching dipshits who are +8 today.

Who gives a shit?

And then the announcers spooge over some great shot they made.

Who gives a shit? They're +8.

Brock
04-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Golf is a skill.

It's like Darts, Bowling, or knowing how to get your wife to cook on gameday and consider it a compliment...

Yeah, golf is exactly like darts and bowling. Jesus Christ.

:facepalm:

BWillie
04-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Non sport

If men are better at it than women it is a sport

Hootie
04-13-2013, 12:53 PM
If men are better at it than women it is a sport

so life is a sport?

Rausch
04-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah, golf is exactly like darts and bowling. Jesus Christ.

It requires a gift to have ball placement. Short or long game - that's true.

There are people who can or can't. You have it or you don't.

But it's still bowling for the rich. The more you think about it the more it truly is the same.

Brock
04-13-2013, 01:02 PM
It requires a gift to have ball placement. Short or long game - that's true.

There are people who can or can't. You have it or you don't.

But it's still bowling for the rich. The more you think about it the more it truly is the same.

I think you haven't thought about it enough with a club in your hands. The more you think about it, the more that's true.

Rausch
04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
I think you haven't thought about it enough with a club in your hands. The more you think about it, the more that's true.

I've had lessons, worked as a kid for a CC, and spent hours on the range using stolen drivers to pound range balls.

I won't deny there is an inherent talent. Some angry 17 year old, unlimited course time, and some clubs make not a good golfer.

At the same time you can't compare that to most sports...

Hootie
04-13-2013, 01:11 PM
anybody who considers golf not to be a sport probably

A) doesn't golf

or

B) is a super shitty golfer

Brock
04-13-2013, 01:14 PM
I've had lessons, worked as a kid for a CC, and spent hours on the range using stolen drivers to pound range balls.

I won't deny there is an inherent talent. Some angry 17 year old, unlimited course time, and some clubs make not a good golfer.

At the same time you can't compare that to most sports...

I'm sure it was just an amazing coincidence that the greatest golfer of our time approached the game like an athlete would.

morphius
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm sure it was just an amazing coincidence that the greatest golfer of our time approached the game like an athlete would.
ROFLMAO! Thanks, I needed that.

Brock
04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
ROFLMAO! Thanks, I needed that.

I have no idea what that means.

Stewie
04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

A) doesn't golf

or

I've found the biggest haters are the non-athletes that can barely hit a golf ball... if at all. Most of them are uncoordinated buffoons that can't get out of their own way without tripping. They think the game sucks because they suck at the game.

Look at all the professional athletes from other sports that absolutely LOVE playing golf. It's a challenge that's simple, but really difficult.

morphius
04-13-2013, 02:16 PM
I have no idea what that means.
I know you don't.

I find it damn funny about how defensive people are about it. Nobody is saying that it is easy to do, nobody is saying that being in better shape doesn't help. But broken down, it is just you against yourself and the elements. FTR, I don't even consider the 100 yard dash a sport either, it is a race and on the olympic level those guys are studs. Same with male gymnastics, not a sport, but damn those are some real athletes.

Brock
04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
I know you don't.

I find it damn funny about how defensive people are about it. Nobody is saying that it is easy to do, nobody is saying that being in better shape doesn't help. But broken down, it is just you against yourself and the elements. FTR, I don't even consider the 100 yard dash a sport either, it is a race and on the olympic level those guys are studs. Same with male gymnastics, not a sport, but damn those are some real athletes.

Well, when people are stupidly comparing it to darts and bowling, or any other sport where you can be drunk and excel at it, they are saying that it's easy to do, and that being in better shape doesn't help. What's next, comparing it to fucking billiards and pinball? Golf is defined as a sport by any credible definition, anyone saying it isn't simply has no concept of the body mechanics involved, nor of the definition of the word "sport".

Braincase
04-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I've found the biggest haters are the non-athletes that can barely hit a golf ball... if at all. Most of them are uncoordinated buffoons that can't get out of their own way without tripping. They think the game sucks because they suck at the game.

Look at all the professional athletes from other sports that absolutely LOVE playing golf. It's a challenge that's simple, but really difficult.

The beautiful thing about it is that no two courses are the same. Par varies from course to course, muni courses so wide-open that a hack like me can break 80, followed by private clubs that will drive the average golfer insane with their slope, false fronts, water hazards and greens slicker than goose shit.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Golf is a sport but it's a non athletic sport. You don't have to be an athlete to play it or be good at it.

morphius
04-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, when people are stupidly comparing it to darts and bowling, or any other sport where you can be drunk and excel at it, they are saying that it's easy to do, and that being in better shape doesn't help. What's next, comparing it to fucking billiards and pinball? Golf is defined as a sport by any credible definition, anyone saying it isn't simply has no concept of the body mechanics involved, nor of the definition of the word "sport".
You are going to have to show me the 220+ average bowlers that drinks a lot while they do it, I think you don't know all the work and on the fly adjustments a good bowler has to make. I know a lot of decent golfers who drink a damn lot while they golf as a counter point.

For me it is simple, the definition of sport is way too vague and golf shouldn't be one. To me, a sport would have someone trying to stop you from getting that ball in the hole.

Stewie
04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Golf is a sport but it's a non athletic sport. You don't have to be an athlete to play it or be good at it.

Tell that to Michael Jordan. He'll laugh in your face.

Brock
04-13-2013, 02:41 PM
You are going to have to show me the 220+ average bowlers that drinks a lot while they do it, I think you don't know all the work and on the fly adjustments a good bowler has to make. I know a lot of decent golfers who drink a damn lot while they golf as a counter point.

For me it is simple, the definition of sport is way too vague and golf shouldn't be one. To me, a sport would have someone trying to stop you from getting that ball in the hole.

An average guy can walk into a bowling alley and be a mediocre bowler in about an hour. Try that on a golf course. The fact that you think track and field isn't sport pretty much makes your definition of the word irrelevant by anyone's standard.

morphius
04-13-2013, 02:50 PM
An average guy can walk into a bowling alley and be a mediocre bowler in about an hour. Try that on a golf course. The fact that you think track and field isn't sport pretty much makes your definition of the word irrelevant by anyone's standard.
Well, they do call it the olympic games, not the olympic sports for a reason I figure...

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Tell that to Michael Jordan. He'll laugh in your face.

Ok you are right. Let me rephrase what i meant. Golf is not a physically demanding sport like others IMO. It is a precision sport.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Yup, it has caused the yuppie butthurt to flow.

morphius
04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Yup, it has caused the yuppie butthurt to flow.
Yup, for some reason you tell someone what they love is not a sport and they bitch like an upset little woman. You can even agree that it isn't easy, but they still can't hold back the whine...

morphius
04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
I know a ton of 160-180 bowlers that also just never get any better than mediocre, doing it for years...

Braincase
04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
To me, a sport would have someone trying to stop you from getting that ball in the hole.

There is. The guy that designed the course.

morphius
04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
There is. The guy that designed the course.
Not buying that one, sorry. If they didn't want you to make it in the hole they could make the green 2 feet wide in the middle of a lake at 400 yards that you have to get to on a boat.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Incorrect.

If you're good at golf, you are a good athlete.

Golfing is not like bowling. In order to be a GOOD golfer...you HAVE to be athletic.

This isn't debatable.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:18 PM
I know a ton of 160-180 bowlers that also just never get any better than mediocre, doing it for years...

ok but, being a casual league bowler with a 185 average...

you're right

that's totally average in terms of bowling

but to the average joe who bowls twice a year...when you tell them you have a 185 average they think you're god

I went from not having any idea on how to bowl to learning how to throw a hook, to learning how to throw a hook correctly...to learning where to stand to pick up spares to learning how to adjust

in about a week

bowling is a skill
golf is a sport

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:20 PM
and I know this because the kid's family who owns the bowling alley...he was one of the kids in high school P.E. who would shoot layups like he was a fucking retard...most uncoordinated kid of all time

he's a 230 bowler...amazing...shoots 5-6 300s every league

there is no such thing as a scratch golfer who isn't coordinated or athletic...

this is honestly not a debate; anyone who thinks a scratch golfer isn't an athlete is wrong and is ignorant

Pasta Little Brioni
Incorrect.

Golfing is not like bowling. In order to be a GOOD golfer...you HAVE to be athletic.

This isn't debatable.

ROFL

MeatRock
Incorrect.

This isn't debatable.

Tell that to the fat fucks and old fucks that are good at it. You can have a caddy and honestly walking all day and standing around until you go again is not physically demanding. It is a precision sport.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Ridiculous.

I'm talking scratch golfers.

I don't consider an old guy or a "fat fuck" who drives the ball 180 but straight to be "good" at golf.

and are you saying all fat people aren't athletes? because one is fat, he doesn't have any athletic ability?

the idea that a scratch golfer isn't athletic is FUCKING CRIMINALLY STUPID

It's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Time to rename the Lounge "Hootie's Law"

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
these are the same people who think baseball players aren't athletes because they don't play basketball

baseball players are better athletes than football players, I'll tell you that

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Time to rename the Lounge "Hootie's Law"

Well I'm sorry I'm not a complete dipshit.

I can't believe a bunch of people who are probably not golfers, or fucking terrible want to run around and say golfers aren't athletic because they have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

I mean, that's just a stupid fucking opinion.

I realize people are entitled to opinions but when they are fucking stupid I'm going to call them fucking stupid for having fucking stupid opinions, that's fair, isn't it?

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 03:29 PM
How athletic these men are.

http://ntcf.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/john-daly-pants.jpg

morphius
04-13-2013, 03:30 PM
ok but, being a casual league bowler with a 185 average...

you're right

that's totally average in terms of bowling

but to the average joe who bowls twice a year...when you tell them you have a 185 average they think you're god

I went from not having any idea on how to bowl to learning how to throw a hook, to learning how to throw a hook correctly...to learning where to stand to pick up spares to learning how to adjust

in about a week

bowling is a skill
golf is a sport
You argument is missing the fact that there are a lot of good golfers that are not in great shape. To be a great golfer you may need to be, but to be good, that just isn't true. Just because it takes longer to be mediocre doesn't mean anything.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-13-2013, 03:30 PM
these are the same people who think baseball players aren't athletes because they don't play basketball

baseball players are better athletes than football players, I'll tell you that

I went through entire basketball seasons leading up to baseball and I'll say that no matter how good of shape I thought I was in, getting ready for baseball kicked my ass more often than not. Just entirely different muscle groups and conditioning.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:32 PM
so because John Daly isn't in shape, at all, he's not an athlete?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

So every retired athlete that gets fat is no longer an athlete.

That's fucking stupid.

You don't have to be Vernon Gholston cut and be able to run marathons to be athletic.

Are you guys just really stupid, or just kind of stupid?

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:33 PM
I mean...what?

I'm so lost here. I have plenty of fat ass friends who have athletic ability.

Athletic ability can be hand eye coordination for god's sake. If you have spectacular hand-eye coordination and can catch a laser pass from Brett Favre or drain 10 3's in a row...

YOU'RE ATHLETIC...WHETHER OR NOT YOU'RE IN SHAPE...YOU'RE STILL ATHLETIC

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:34 PM
you can take the most physically fit...in shape marathon runner dipshit in the world...if he doesn't have hand eye coordination, he can't be an athlete...he can't shoot a basketball, he can't stop a grounder, he can't catch a pass, he can't throw a ball..

AND HE CERTAINLY CAN'T HIT A GOLF BALL (WELL)

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 03:36 PM
OK, I see what you're saying. You're applying a very nuanced definition to "athletic."

Golfers are athletic...just in a different, smaller way. They're certainly less athletic, though. Their athleticism is defined very narrowly.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Ridiculous.

I'm talking scratch golfers.

I don't consider an old guy or a "fat ****" who drives the ball 180 but straight to be "good" at golf.

and are you saying all fat people aren't athletes? because one is fat, he doesn't have any athletic ability?

the idea that a scratch golfer isn't athletic is ****ING CRIMINALLY STUPID

It's the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard.

No. They have NATURAL athletic ability such as good balance and hand eye coordination. Being athletic is having NATURAL athletic ability. Being an athlete requires participating in athletics.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:39 PM
No. They have NATURAL athletic ability such as good balance and hand eye coordination. Being athletic is having NATURAL athletic ability. Being an athlete requires participating in athletics.

What? No.

I fucking guarantee you Rory McIlroy is better at every sport...golf, baseball, basketball than 99% of this board.

Why you ask?

BECAUSE HE IS NATURALLY MORE ATHLETIC THAN ALL OF US.

You can't be a scratch golfer and not be an athlete.

It's impossible.

I promise.

There is no fucking way.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:40 PM
It is FACT!

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:40 PM
and that means if a sponsor said, "hey Rory you can't play golf for a year but we'll give you a billion dollars and you have to see how good you'd become at basketball..."

guarantee you in a month or so he'd be a good enough basketball player to make everyone say, "wow, he is athletic!"

why? because to be ONE OF THE BEST GOLFERS IN THE WORLD, you have to have NATURAL ATHLETIC ABILITY.

That's 100% fact.

Spott
04-13-2013, 03:41 PM

A) doesn't golf

or

When I'm too out of shape to play other sports, then I'll consider playing golf.

Hootie
MeatRock

and you must answer this honestly...

when was the last time you golfed and how many times per year, on average, do you golf?

Hammock Parties
and that means if a sponsor said, "hey Rory you can't play golf for a year but we'll give you a billion dollars and you have to see how good you'd become at basketball..."

guarantee you in a month or so he'd be a good enough basketball player to make everyone say, "wow, he is athletic!"

He's 5-foot-9, moron.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:42 PM

why? because to be ONE OF THE BEST GOLFERS IN THE WORLD, you have to have NATURAL ATHLETIC ABILITY.

That's 100% fact.

Having NATURAL athletic ability does not make you an athlete dude. Know the difference.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
MeatRock

and you must answer this honestly...

when was the last time you golfed and how many times per year, on average, do you golf?

I don't golf, but that doesn't prove any point logically.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
When I'm too out of shape to play other sports, then I'll consider playing golf.

and before my fucking knee injury I played in a basketball league, flag football, bowling and three softball leagues in the summer and still manage to golf about once a week...

the only one that isn't a sport is bowling AND IF YOU'RE AN ATHLETE, you pick up bowling much faster than non athletes...

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Having NATURAL athletic ability does not make you an athlete dude. Know the difference.

Yes it does. ROFL

Just because Bo Jackson is a fastass with no hips doesn't mean he's no longer an athlete.

My god.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't golf, but that doesn't prove any point logically.

Uhm, yes it does.

It means you're judging something that you don't do...it's ridiculous.

You don't golf so you don't know how ridiculous the SPORT is...and how much athletic talent it takes to be good at said sport.

Because Tiger Woods is an incredible ATHLETE and one of the best ATHLETES of all time.

Spott
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
and before my fucking knee injury I played in a basketball league, flag football, bowling and three softball leagues in the summer and still manage to golf about once a week...

the only one that isn't a sport is bowling AND IF YOU'RE AN ATHLETE, you pick up bowling much faster than non athletes...

So after your knee injury, you were still able to golf but unable to play football, basketball and softball?

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I fail to see how having an immense amount of athletic ability but no longer being active in sport doesn't make you an athlete.

I keep saying "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" but then someone tops it so I have to say "god damn, that's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard" like a god damn broken record.

Spott
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Uhm, yes it does.

You don't golf so you don't know how ridiculous the SPORT is...and how much athletic talent it takes to be good at said sport.

Because Tiger Woods is an incredible ATHLETE and one of the best ATHLETES of all time.

Best golfers of all time, maybe. He walks from hole to hole and makes a caddy carry his clubs which probably makes his caddy a better athlete than him.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
So after your knee injury, you were still able to golf but unable to play football, basketball and softball?

so because right now my knee prevents me from playing basketball or flag football I'm no longer an athlete?

lol lol lol lol lol

I'll go make 20 free throws in a row...

is that not athletic?

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Best golfers of all time. He walks from hole to hole and makes a caddy carry his clubs which probably makes his caddy a better athlete than him.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I think this board makes me a dumber person.

I really do.

Spott
04-13-2013, 03:48 PM
so because right now my knee prevents me from playing basketball or flag football I'm no longer an athlete?

lol lol lol lol lol

is that not athletic?

You missed the point. Your knee injury prevents you from playing athletic sports, but you can probably still play golf on a bum knee.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Uhm, yes it does.

I never said it doesn't take athletic talent. It takes NATURAL athletic talent like balance and hand eye coordination. It is not physically demanding. And no Tiger Woods is not one of the best athletes off all time. He's just really fucking good at golf.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:50 PM
You missed the point. Your knee injury prevents you from playing athletic sports, but you can probably still play golf on a bum knee.
so in order to be an athlete you have to play sports that require running and jumping?

do people really actually think these things?

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 03:51 PM
so in order to be an athlete you have to play sports that require running and jumping?

Do you deny that the elite athletes in football and basketball are higher level athletes than Tom Daly and all the other fat, slow, disgusting golfers?

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Post a video of this.

You can't do it.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:52 PM
I never said it doesn't take athletic talent. It takes NATURAL athletic talent like balance and hand eye coordination. It is not physically demanding. And no Tiger Woods is not one of the best athletes off all time. He's just really ****ing good at golf.

I have a hard time talking about golf and whether or not it requires athleticism with someone who doesn't golf.

I don't talk about lean cuisine with Frazod because I don't constantly eat and don't consider myself to be an expert in something I don't do a lot of.

Spott
04-13-2013, 03:52 PM

People that can actually run and jump do. People that can't just play golf.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I have a hard time talking about golf and whether or not it requires athleticism with someone who doesn't golf.

I don't talk about lean cuisine with Frazod because I don't constantly eat and don't consider myself to be an expert in something I don't do a lot of.

You have a hard time with it because deep down you know it's true. Do you know the difference between NATURAL athletic ability and physical athletic ability?

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Do you deny that the elite athletes in football and basketball are higher level athletes than Tom Daly and all the other fat, slow, disgusting golfers?

his name is John

and I think basketball players are the best athletes in the world...I'm pretty sure LeBron could excel at any sport he put his mind to...

he'd be the best NFL player to ever play, no doubt in my mind

I think golfers like Tiger Woods are definitely more athletic than most NFL players. Absolutely.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:55 PM
You have a hard time with it because deep down you know it's true. Do you know the difference between NATURAL athletic ability and physical athletic ability?

what?

that's your argument

golfers are athletes but not physical athletes?

In that case...

ok I guess!

What?

hahahah

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:55 PM
his name is John

and I think basketball players are the best athletes in the world...I'm pretty sure LeBron could excel at any sport he put his mind to...

I think golfers like Tiger Woods are definitely more athletic than most NFL players. Absolutely.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Post a video of this.

You can't do it.

well I'm at work

but if you really want me to do this, I will

I guarantee you I can make 20 free throws in a row

it may take 15 minutes or 10 tries...

but there is no doubt in my mind I can do it...shit I won the Knights of Columbus area free throw championship in Overland Park, KS when I was 10 years old for crying out loud...

NO BIG DEAL

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 03:56 PM
what?

that's your argument

golfers are athletes but not physical athletes?

In that case...

ok I guess!

What?

hahahah

You're showing complete ignorance.

Spott
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Hammock Parties
I think golfers like Tiger Woods are definitely more athletic than most NFL players.

ROFL

No.

And you can't make 20 FTs in a row.

Prove it. You do it...I'll ban myself for a week.

Frazod

Boy, I'm just living

in your little servile head

lately

aren't I?

Hootie
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

for instance, NFL receivers play receiver because they weren't good enough to play in the NBA

see Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Tony Gonzalez

I know for a fact if the NBA shut down and you couldn't make money playing basketball anymore the NBA players would absolutely take the NFL by storm and take over the WR, CB, S and even rush backer/DE position. TE as well, obviously.

LeBron would be more freakish of a player on either side of the ball than Calvin Johnson.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 03:58 PM
well I'm at work

but if you really want me to do this, I will

I guarantee you I can make 20 free throws in a row

it may take 15 minutes or 10 tries...

but there is no doubt in my mind I can do it...shit I won the Knights of Columbus area free throw championship in Overland Park, KS when I was 10 years old for crying out loud...

NO BIG DEAL

You have until tomorrow to post a video of it.

You don't do it you're banned for a week.

You do it, I'm banned for a week.

GET ON IT MFER

Hootie
04-13-2013, 03:58 PM
ROFL

No.

And you can't make 20 FTs in a row.

Prove it. You do it...I'll ban myself for a week.

This may be to good to pass up.

I'm 100% certain I can make 20 free throws in a row.

Spott
04-13-2013, 04:00 PM

GET ON IT MFER

Fuck that. If he's a golfer he should be able to dunk it from the free throw line just like Tiger and Rory do.

Psyko Tek
no cheerleaders
not a sport

Hammock Parties
No lowering the hoop or playing on a kid's goal or something...fucking real ass FTs.

20 in a row.

You have 48 hrs.

Hootie

GET ON IT MFER

Nope.

My day off is Thursday.

Dude I worked at Dave and Busters and I had the record on the free throw game...I made 26 free throws in 40 seconds. That requires not missing. Mike Bibby made 24.

Now, I got to do it over and over and over and over and me and one of the game techs did this for hours and hours and hours every week because we were the only two that could break 40 let alone 50...

but this is a 100% certainty...I've done it countless times in my life

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 04:01 PM
OK. Post it on Thursday. A video. On a real basketball hoop. And a real free throw line.

You making 20 FTs.

No editing, no bullshit, or the bet is off.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:02 PM
I'll let you know on Thursday morning if I decide to go do this. It'll require talking my roommate into coming with me since I'll need someone to video tape it.

Spott
No lowering the hoop or playing on a kid's goal or something...fucking real ass FTs.

20 in a row.

You have 48 hrs.

Wouldn't that be easy to edit in a video if you just cut out all the misses? Heck, you could probably find a video online of someone doing it and download it to your computer and claim it was you.

Hammock Parties
We could also do offseason sigs if you like.

Whatever, I'm going to expose you, fraud.

Hammock Parties
Wouldn't that be easy to edit in a video if you just cut out all the misses? Heck, you could probably find a video online of someone doing it and download it to your computer and claim it was you.

Hootie doesn't have my athletic ability to edit video.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
it's such a layup of a bet that I probably will do it just for the fuck of it

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
dude it'll be on a cell phone video...a droid razr...I have no idea how to edit a video and I'm sure my friend will be heckling me in the background the entire time

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Hootie doesn't have my athletic ability to edit video.

ROFL

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 04:11 PM
PS - don't cop out because your friend can't film it.

Set your camera against a rock or a shoe or something.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
That might be hard to do with a cell phone.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:13 PM
well the people arguing against me are MeatRock, who doesn't golf, and Claythan, an admitted terrible athlete

so uh yeah

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Hootie can always just keep trying over and over and over until he makes 20 in a row. With enough repetition and tries, i could see someone making 20 in a row.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:14 PM
That might be hard to do with a cell phone.

you seen these phones these days?

my phone shoots HD video

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Hootie can always just keep trying over and over and over until he makes 20 in a row. With enough repetition and tries, i could see someone making 20 in a row.

well no fucking shit

I've done it countless times.

It may take an hour...shit, I don't know.

but this is honestly a layup bet

you see, I have athletic ability...I was an 80% free throw shooter in high school.

I am 100% certain I can make 20 in a row...I used to do it at Dave and Busters every single day WITH A 40 SECOND CLOCK to make as many as you could.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm not really arguing against you.

Golf is a sport (a horribly boring sport, but a sport nonetheless), and golfers are athletes (just lower level athletes).

You're a complete idiot for saying Tiger Woods is more athletic than NFL players, though.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 04:16 PM
well the people arguing against me are MeatRock, who doesn't golf, and Claythan, an admitted terrible athlete

so uh yeah

Look Hootie, i have golfed, i just don't golf alot. Therefore i am not ignorant in the subject. That is why i said i don't golf, because i don't play it like golfers play.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 04:16 PM
FYI I'm not a terrible athlete.

If my youth hadn't been wasted being fat and stupid I probably could have played HS sports.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Golf is a sport (a horribly boring sport, but a sport nonetheless), and golfers are athletes (just lower level athletes).

You're a complete idiot for saying Tiger Woods is more athletic than NFL players, though.

NFL players are amazing athletes

not as amazing as NBA players

and golfers are also amazing athletes

the only people who think otherwise are people who don't golf or don't golf well

PLAIN
AND
SIMPLE

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
My entire family golfs except me really, because i don't consider myself a golfer.

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 04:23 PM
NFL players are amazing athletes

not as amazing as NBA players

and golfers are also amazing athletes

the only people who think otherwise are people who don't golf or don't golf well

PLAIN
AND
SIMPLE

I never said that golf is not a sport or that it doesn't take athletic ability to play it. There are different levels and kinds of athletic ability. Balance and hand eye coordination is different than strenuous muscle usage.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:27 PM
and when did I argue ANY of that?

my points were GOLF IS A SPORT and GOLF REQUIRES ATHLETIC ABILITY

Stewie
04-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Maybe if you weren't Sasquatch as a kid you'd understand what it takes to play any sport.

To say Tyson Jackson is an athlete and Tiger Woods is not shows your feeble ability and mind.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Maybe if you weren't Sasquatch as a kid you'd understand what it takes to play any sport.

To say Tyson Jackson is an athlete and Tiger Woods is not shows your feeble ability and mind.

I didn't say Tiger Woods is not an athlete.

FYI I played football or basketball pretty much every weekend when I was a kid...so STFU about my "understanding."

mikey23545
04-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Is capitalizing letters, using punctuation, and understanding and utilizing the rules of grammar a sport?

Discuss.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Are competitive first-person-shooter gamers athletes?

Those guys have disgusting hand-eye coordination, reaction time, concentration, etc.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Are competitive first-person-shooters athletes?

Those guys have disgusting hand-eye coordination, reaction time, concentration, etc.

if that's true then I'm sure they are definitely athletes

I'd have to see them swing a baseball bat or something though...hit an 80 MPH fastball or swish a few 3s in a row

Hootie
04-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Is capitalizing letters, using punctuation, and understanding and utilizing the rules of grammar a sport?

Discuss.

Depends. I type 90 WPM accurately. That's pretty athletic! ROFL

loochy
04-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Are competitive first-person-shooter gamers athletes?

i used to play in

CyberATHLETE Amateur League (CAL) for CounterStrike 1.6 :D

Yeah, we're athletes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberathlete_Professional_League#Cyberathlete_Amateur_League

http://cstrike.cerc.ro/ro/uploads/image/cpl.jpg

bandwagonjumper
04-13-2013, 05:25 PM
his name is John

I don't think basketball players are the best athletes. I don't know how tall Lebron is but most basketball players are too tall to be great soccer players. Male gymnast are much better athletes than basketball players ever be. What is true that basketball players > football players > baseball players. But track and field athletes, swimmers, male gymnast > basketball players.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Ok you are right. Let me rephrase what i meant. Golf is not a physically demanding sport like others IMO. It is a precision sport.

I don't see how anyone can say it isn't physically demanding. It is 4 days of constantly hitting balls. But more than that is the mental part of the game. It will wear on you as well.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2013, 05:38 PM

You won't be able to play golf at all then. Golf is very hard on your back, shoulders, hips, and arms. There is a lot of force that is in a golf swing. Golf is harder on your body than baseball easily.

blaise
04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
So if you're playing basketball at age 13 you're not playing a sport.

Hootie
04-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I don't think basketball players are the best athletes. I don't know how tall Lebron is but most basketball players are too tall to be great soccer players. Male gymnast are much better athletes than basketball players ever be. What is true that basketball players > football players > baseball players. But track and field athletes, swimmers, male gymnast > basketball players.

JFC

Braincase
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Most people in the world have no idea who the World's Greatest Athlete is. Traditionally, that term has been reserved for one type of athlete. His name is Ashton Eaton.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ashton+Eaton+2012+Olympic+Track+Field+Team+w0fAqquI4LUl.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-13-2013, 07:19 PM

I had this argument with morphius several years ago. He seemed to believe that hanging drywall was more of a sport than golf.

I was nonplussed.

GloryDayz
04-13-2013, 07:20 PM
I might argue that in many facets of what's considered healthy, soccer players are about as athletic as you can get...

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-13-2013, 07:21 PM
and I know this because the kid's family who owns the bowling alley...he was one of the kids in high school P.E. who would shoot layups like he was a fucking retard...most uncoordinated kid of all time

he's a 230 bowler...amazing...shoots 5-6 300s every league

there is no such thing as a scratch golfer who isn't coordinated or athletic...

this is honestly not a debate; anyone who thinks a scratch golfer isn't an athlete is wrong and is ignorant

There is some truth to this. There was a kid in high school who was a tremendous bowler. He also played on the tennis team. I'd never picked up a racket before. When I played him in gym I beat him because he was slow and uncoordinated.