PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Reid/Dorsey comments on 1st round prospects

Tribal Warfare
04-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Reid/Dorsey comments on prospects (http://mellinger.kansascity.com/entries/three-weekend-royals-chiefs-and-charles-wheeler/)

Andy Reid and John Dorsey spoke to a group of sponsors yesterday, and Dorsey said they had it down to “four to six” candidates as the “best player available” in the upcoming draft. The Chiefs have the first overall pick, of course, and it’s always been my guess that they’d like to trade it but will be unable to get value.

Reid had a good line about the preparation, too: “Me and Dorse, our wives aren’t here yet, so we’re around each other all the time. It’s like college. Well, not really like college.”

In58men
04-13-2013, 12:57 AM
This is probably the first year that there's no value into trading the first pick lol.

Fuck we're cursed by Todd Blackledge

04-13-2013, 12:58 AM
breaking news

Fart contests at One Arrowhead Dr.

In58men
04-13-2013, 01:01 AM
breaking news

Flopnuts just ate 8 cans of Bush's grillin' stylin' beans

okcchief
04-13-2013, 01:04 AM
I thought this story might be something meaningful. Boy was I wrong.

In58men
04-13-2013, 01:05 AM
I thought this story might be something meaningful. Boy was I wrong.

I was thinking a name or position would be hinted. I was wrong. Another glass of wine for me.

B14ckmon
04-13-2013, 01:09 AM
wasn't it 4-6 last week? So nothing new?

RustShack
04-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Four to six? They don't even know? Yeah what a great year to have the top pick.

Tribal Warfare
04-13-2013, 01:13 AM
wasn't it 4-6 last week? So nothing new?

it was narrowed to 8 prospects before this quote

RustShack
04-13-2013, 01:15 AM
it was narrowed to 8 prospects before this quote

Pretty sure about a week ago Dorsey said six, and like the next day Reid said four.

04-13-2013, 01:15 AM
If they don't know who they are picking at this point I am officially worried about the future.

lcarus
04-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Usually teams have the #1 pick signed by now. And we're down to 4-6 shitty players. We're cursed. That's it. Let's trade Alex Smith for a 7th. Line up Charles as QB and let's kick ass. FUCK IT. WE'LL DO IT LIVE.

In58men
04-13-2013, 01:22 AM
If they don't know who they are picking at this point I am officially worried about the future.

They have no fucking clue man. I bet they have at least 4 possibilities, but afraid to pull the trigger bc an offer can come their way.

RustShack
04-13-2013, 01:34 AM
I think there have been trade talks, and they are taking it down to the wire for the best possible deal. And it probably won't be for "proper value", but there's no value for us at 1 either. Trading down and still drafting a similar caliber player while picking up extra seconds and/or thirds would be great for us this year.

Tribal Warfare
04-13-2013, 01:40 AM
I think there have been trade talks, and they are taking it down to the wire for the best possible deal. And it probably won't be for "proper value", but there's no value for us at 1 either. Trading down and still drafting a similar caliber player while picking up extra seconds and/or thirds would be great for us this year.

and if it's down to 4 prospects then the Eagles are the trade partner

PA Chiefs
04-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Maybe its between the Eagles and the Browns that is why we keep hearing 4-6 players. They are holding out for the best deal between the 2 of them.

Messier
04-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Dorsey said they won't narrow it down to one until right before the draft. He's been saying that for months.

chiefzilla1501
04-13-2013, 05:39 AM

That's what I think too. I also wonder if they're legitimately trying to trade Branden Albert, but if they are, then that could be part of the holdup too.

bevischief
04-13-2013, 05:41 AM
%(/rochambeau:lame:

mikey23545
04-13-2013, 06:07 AM
breaking news

Reid takes that hands down.

04-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Reid takes that hands down.

Hey, don't underestimate the power of cheese. Dorsey could be a serious contender.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2013, 06:23 AM
4-6 lets them trade down and still take the "best" player when they talk to the media.

If they said they had it down to 2 guys and trade with Buffalo or the NYJ people would claim "you traded out of your top tier of players" and they would be open to criticism. By keeping 4-6 guys as the best (which is bullcrap) they can trade down and say "Our top player was still available. We were able to draft our top guy and get some draft picks. It was a win-win."

BlackHelicopters
04-13-2013, 06:25 AM
4-6? Disturbing or a smoke screen.

Red Dawg
04-13-2013, 06:32 AM

This is exactly right.

HemiEd
04-13-2013, 06:39 AM
4-6 lets them trade down and still take the "best" player when they talk to the media.

If they said they had it down to 2 guys and trade with Buffalo or the NYJ people would claim "you traded out of your top tier of players" and they would be open to criticism. By keeping 4-6 guys as the best (which is bullcrap) they can trade down and say "Our top player was still available. We were able to draft our top guy and get some draft picks. It was a win-win."Makes the most sense to me, nj2 has it nailed again.

Coogs
04-13-2013, 08:26 AM
and if it's down to 4 prospects then the Eagles are the trade partner

Not necessarily. Maybe Tavon Austin is one of those 4. He would be a perfect fit for this offense. Reid had Jackson at Philly, and they are similar size. A move down to around 8 - 12 might still get you Austin.

Coogs
04-13-2013, 08:29 AM

And I agree with this. If we are not going Geno... this is the best route IMO.

wazu
04-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Not necessarily. Maybe Tavon Austin is one of those 4. He would be a perfect fit for this offense. Reid had Jackson at Philly, and they are similar size. A move down to around 8 - 12 might still get you Austin.

Have McCluster, so don't need Austin.

BossChief
04-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Have McCluster, so don't need Austin.

Holy Mother of God.

milkman
04-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Makes the most sense to me, nj2 has it nailed again.

No he hasn't.

There aren't any 2 players that stand out in this draft.

They have it down to 4 to 6 players because the top of this draft sucks.

B14ckmon
04-13-2013, 08:56 AM
No chance you trade down. Sorry.

Chiefaholic
04-13-2013, 09:11 AM

Why would they play their hand when trading down is still an option? If the optional trade partners knew for sure who we were taking, they'd be talking to Jacksonville rather than us.

Rain Man
04-13-2013, 09:22 AM

If they said they had it down to 2 guys and trade with Buffalo or the NYJ people would claim "you traded out of your top tier of players" and they would be open to criticism. By keeping 4-6 guys as the best (which is bullcrap) they can trade down and say "Our top player was still available. We were able to draft our top guy and get some draft picks. It was a win-win."

I agree, and to be honest if the difference isn't huge between those players they're better off trading down even if they don't get "full value".

The draft chart that gets used so often isn't a good tool for trading the #1 pick, in my opinion. It necessarily assumes that the value of the #1 pick is consistent from year to year, and it's not. The best college football prospect in the nation can vary from year to year, and if that one individual is higher or lower than average (or than the next tier below him), it can change the value immensely.

I wouldn't particularly mind trading down this year for a discounted rate if we really don't think the top of the draft rises exponentially from the next tier.

Chiefshrink
04-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Maybe its between the Eagles and the Browns that is why we keep hearing 4-6 players. They are holding out for the best deal between the 2 of them.

Amen Brother !!:clap:

MeatRock
04-13-2013, 10:23 AM
NO it's down to 5 only, i have insider information/Exoter.

Chiefshrink
04-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Common sense analysis:clap:

Rausch
04-13-2013, 10:33 AM
The draft chart that gets used so often isn't a good tool for trading the #1 pick, in my opinion. It necessarily assumes that the value of the #1 pick is consistent from year to year, and it's not. The best college football prospect in the nation can vary from year to year, and if that one individual is higher or lower than average (or than the next tier below him), it can change the value immensely.

Exactly.

It's a fluid metric.

It's a rubber slide rule.