PDA

View Full Version : Life Brushes with Madness

Pages : [1] 2

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Planet,

Today I was reminded of how often I live in a cocoon. I overheard some coworkers talking about a recent murder that happened in town, they then mentioned a past incident regarding a student and suspicious circumstances.

It turns out that a student committed suicide eight months ago by jumping off of a parking garage in town. Some months after his death, multiple witnesses came forward implicating him in the death of a professor, including bludgeoning and immolation, in a parking garage no less, eight years earlier. These witnesses claimed they were afraid to come forward for fear of reprisal.

It turns out that the now deceased student was a student of mine a few summers ago. He came off as a bit irascible, but it's difficult to conceptualize occupying a shared space with an alleged murderer for six hours a week.

Needless to say, spooky.

Any similar events from you all?

NewChief
04-15-2013, 08:41 PM
When I was a grad student teaching Freshman Comp. one of my students killed his girlfriend. The police pulled me out of class and interviewed me and tole me to be on the lookout for him. He turned himself in the next day. Guy was a good writer.

Dante84
04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
When I was a grad student teaching Freshman Comp. one of my students killed his girlfriend. The police pulled me out of class and interviewed me and tole me to be on the lookout for him. He turned himself in the next day. Guy was a good writer.

Jovan could have been the next John Grisham, I tells ya

BigMeatballDave
I look forward to Hamas' threads.

It's usually a vocabulary lesson.

:)

crispystl
One of my wife's good friends went to prom with one of the boys that allegedly murdered that journalist in Columbia, MO. She's became a good friend of mine as well, and swears he would have never done it. She's a little naive though I tend to doubt her judgement. Sweet girl none the less.

Simply Red
04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah though - Mike a neighbor blew a hole in his chest. Right off of 15th street in Blue Springs - 92ish

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
One of my wife's good friends went to prom with one of the boys that allegedly murdered that journalist in Columbia, MO. She's became a good friend of mine as well, and swears he would have never done it. She's a little naive though I tend to doubt her judgement. Sweet girl none the less.

There are a lot of people in the CoMo area who are highly suspect of that case.

Prison Bitch
04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
When I was a child, my stepmom was walking us by Penn Valley park when a shooting happened. I remember her jumping on me and my brother and hearing shrieks close by. Person was shot dead right by us. That's all I recall. Probably needed gun control so the guy wouldn't have died.

Bugeater
04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
In a fit of jealous rage a guy I grew up with drug his estranged wife out of the convenience store she was working in and capped her right in the parking lot, then offed himself in his car a few minutes later.

Saulbadguy
04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I killed Paul Allen with an axe. In the face.

Demonpenz
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I saw Shawn Marion shoot a jumpshot in person.

crispystl
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
There are a lot of people in the CoMo area who are highly suspect of that case.

This girl swears that the one she dated is innocent and the other was totally responsible, but I haven't gleaned enough info to make a decision. Honestly though I haven't researched it enough to decide either way.

Saulbadguy
04-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I saw Shawn Marion shoot a jumpshot in person.

Man, what an experience

Hammock Parties
04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
One time I tailgated with this dude named Barry. We chatted a lot on the internet.

MeatRock
04-15-2013, 09:04 PM
One time I tailgated with this dude named Barry. We chatted a lot on the internet.

ROFL and he wanted to kick your ass right?

HoneyBadger
04-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Went to school and graduated with 2 murders. Hung out with them until high school.

Worked and supervised a girl who just went to court for murder, found not guilty of killing an infant.

Worked with a guy who robbed several banks, became homeless and raped a girl or two.

One of the teachers I was an aide for is currently in prison waiting for trial for apparently doing inappropriate things with high school girls.

InChiefsHeaven
04-15-2013, 09:09 PM
A cousin of my wife is doing life in prison for rape and murder. Been locked up since the early 80's. Met him at a funeral, they let him out for an hour to attend, it was his grandfather. Weird. Dude shows up in shackles and an orange jumper. Pays respects and has to leave. Creepy bastard too...

MeatRock
04-15-2013, 09:13 PM
I used to hang out with a guy in a group of mutual friends. He got into a fight one night and got embarrassed over a girl. He went home and got a boye knife, came back and stabbed the ****er 3 dozen times and killed him.

He's in leavenworth for murder. They tried to claim self defense and intimidation, the only problem was he went home to get the knife. I think they got him for premeditation too, but not sure. Skyler was his name and it happened in Manhattan.

Setsuna
04-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Went to school and graduated with 2 murders. Hung out with them until high school.

Worked and supervised a girl who just went to court for murder, found not guilty of killing an infant.

Worked with a guy who robbed several banks, became homeless and raped a girl or two.

One of the teachers I was an aide for is currently in prison waiting for trial for apparently doing inappropriate things with high school girls.
You are the only constant in all of these unrelated stories. You should think hard about that.

Jewish Rabbi
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
My mom used to work with a serial rapist. They would be the only two in the office at around 6 am and she would literally lock herself in the office with him.

Oddly enough, he was always scared of her.

Jewish Rabbi
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
My friends mom also got raped by the cops.

Shogun
04-15-2013, 09:20 PM
My cousin is in Leavenworth for 1st degree murder

58-4ever
04-15-2013, 09:20 PM
My friends mom also got raped by the cops.

Did you witness it? If not, you're killing the spirit of the thread.

Jewish Rabbi
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Did you witness it? If not, you're killing the spirit of the thread.

Sorry. Bring down the banhammer.

Ebolapox
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM
was this the one who committed suicide at the university ave garage?

LoneWolf
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Freshman Comp., really?

JK :D

Mr. Wizard
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Where to start.

I grew up living across the street from the house where;

Bold and Brassy: Oklahoma's Own Black Widow is the true story of a 1908 murder that scandalized the nation. When Lawrence Matthews was found dead in his barn, it was assumed that mules had kicked him to death--until rumors started to spread about his widow Lorena Matthews and the Chicksaw hired hand, Jim Chapman, who spent a great deal of time alone with the boss' wife. Lorena was declared an unfit mother and ordered to give up her children to a guardian; instead, she took them and fled to Canada to reunite with her lover. At the time, the case was luridly sensational, and Lorena Matthews' life after the trial is itself a surprise. Black-and-white photographs illustrate this fascinating and extensively researched true crime account.

I played in the barn and house a lot as a child and never knew of any of it until a book was written about it when I was 30.

Next, the summer of 1988 I played coed softball with a quiet redhead;

On June 8, 1988 the nude bodies of Mark and Delores Stepp were discovered in the bedroom of their home. They had been viciously murdered; stabbed a total of 27 times, plus Mark Stepp had been shot as well.

The normally peaceful town of Stillwater, Oklahoma was shocked. Some feared drug-crazed addicts, or a Satanic ritual killing while others thought it was related to the Stepps' secret involvement in nudist activities.

The Stepps were regarded as a model American family, but following the police investigation, two likely suspects emerge -- Francine Stepp, the couple's daughter, and her best friend, Cindy Wynn.

Why would a teenager who "had everything" brutally murder her own parents?

I now live a few miles from the Clutter house;

Its' a small world but I would hate to have to mow it.

HoneyBadger
04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
You are the only constant in all of these unrelated stories. You should think hard about that.

I guess I drive people crazy. I've had plenty of crazy ex's too.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
was this the one who committed suicide at the university ave garage?

The ten-story monstrosity.

Frazod
04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
My ex-wife.

*shudder*

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
I went to Junior High with two kids who murdered a young mother and took her car, robbing her of less than a dollar in change. Still, I didn't really know them, I just knew of them or walked past them in the halls.

Shogun
04-15-2013, 09:32 PM
I made a fake ID once.

Ebolapox
04-15-2013, 09:32 PM
The ten-story monstrosity.

a shocking amount of suicides at/near parking structures. fucked up either way.

Mr. Wizard
04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
a shocking amount of suicides at/near parking structures. ****ed up either way.

I think it has to do with the fact that the person who paints the yellow lines owns a smart car. After parking between those line I want to kill myself.

Just sayin

notorious
04-15-2013, 09:36 PM
I refinished all of the wood floors in the house that the Clutters were murdered.

Does "In Cold Blood" ring a bell?

Sfeihc
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
A good friend of mine in high school parents died in a murder/suicide. Dad shot Mom and then himself. Luckily her and her sister and brother were not at home when it happened. I was @ their house for a movie night two weeks prior.

Lex Luthor
04-15-2013, 09:39 PM
I once left a very nice overcoat in the Westport Flea Market. I called the next night and they said they had it, but when I went to pick it up, nobody could find it.

A week later Bob Berdella, Kansas City's notorious serial killer, was arrested. He was the guy who would kidnap young gay men, hold them prisoner in his house, inject them with all kinds of weird shit, write down the details of his "experiments" on them in his journal, and eventually kill them. They caught him when one of his victims escaped.

At the time he had a shop in the Westport Flea Market called Bob's Bizzare Bazaar.

I always wondered if that SOB stole my overcoat.

Shogun
04-15-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd made a thread about it when it happened. But one of my really good friends dad killed her mom with an axe and then drove to new mexico and offed himself. the mother was cheating on the father, they were separated at the time.

Frazod
04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
I refinished all of the wood floors in the house that the Clutters were murdered.

Does "In Cold Blood" ring a bell?

Anything creepy about the place, other than just knowing what happened there?

notorious
04-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Anything creepy about the place, other than just knowing what happened there?

Nope.

Looked like every other old house I have worked in.

EXCEPT the driveway to the house. It has a row of trees on each side of a 1/4-1/2 mile dirt road. I worked on the house late December/Early January so the trees had no leafs.

That was about the only creepy thing.

Direckshun
04-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Remember the lab scientist that was alledgedly responsible for the anthrax mailings in 2001?

My mother went to several microbiology conferences with the guy. Said he was a totally nice dude.

Shogun
04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
I met Dennis Rader

notorious
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I met Dennis Rader

One of the investigators in that case taught my CCL class.

Frazod
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Nope.

Looked like every other old house I have worked in.

EXCEPT the driveway to the house. It has a row of trees on each side of a 1/4-1/2 mile dirt road. I worked on the house late December/Early January so the trees had no leafs.

That was about the only creepy thing.

Did the owners talk about it?

Shogun
04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
One of the investigators in that case taught my CCL class.

My childhood friend went to church at christ lutheran where he was president at and I went to church with him a few times. Have no real interesting stories though.

Frazod
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I guess this is a second-hand brush, but a former neighbor of mine was good friends with one of Gacy's last victims and was one of the last people to see him before he was abducted. I don't remember the name or any specifics - heard the story over 20 years ago.

That's all I got.

notorious
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Did the owners talk about it?

The owner said she had a bunch of offers from people to buy the house, but she refuses to sell it because she wants to keep the history.

She nearly burned the house down by throwing a lit cig into the trash. It smoked the entire upstairs out.

The construction company wanted to rip out all of the old floor and replace it (to get a bigger payday). She refused and that's why I got the call.

They refinished perfectly.

Frazod
04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
The owner said she had a bunch of offers from people to buy the house, but she refuses to sell it because she wants to keep the history.

She nearly burned the house down by throwing a lit cig into the trash. It smoked the entire upstairs out.

The construction company wanted to rip out all of the old floor and replace it (to get a bigger payday). She refused and that's why I got the call.

They refinished perfectly.

Interesting. I don't think I'd want to sleep there. My mom died in my grandmother's house when I was a kid, and I never spent another night there.

Shogun
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I still sleep on a straw bed when I visit my grandmother. True story.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Interesting. I don't think I'd want to sleep there. My mom died in my grandmother's house when I was a kid, and I never spent another night there.

My grandmother died in my parents' house. It used to be my room before the upstairs was refinished. Now, whenever our girls visit they sleep in that room. Doesn't personally bother me, but I understand why it would bother others. My aunt won't even go down that hallway.

Prison Bitch
04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Kinda weak but I bought my first home in an estate sale, family was selling home of old parents who were deceased. Got a great price. Home had cigarette smell but I just painted over it. Anyway my neighbor asked me a few moths later if I knew what happened. Said they were both suffering lung cancer, and nearing the end the dude decided to shoot the wife (out of mercy) and then aced himself in the house.

Still though, I DID get a great deal on it.

Titty Meat
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I could have banged one of Kansas City's most notorious skanks

Shogun
04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I could have banged one of Kansas City's most notorious skanks

Was she a tanners waitress by chance?

Rasputin
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Had a friend co-worker get murdered and he talked about it was going to happen. He was a witness to a crime and was suppose to testify in court, cops were suppose to protect him. I know he was fixing to leave town. I remember he told us not to hang out with him & watch keep a look out if being followed. He said any one he knew was could be a target.

It's ****ed up.

He was a good guy that had turned his life around from hanging out with the bad crowd. He found God and piece in his life and was a remarkable person. He was a big guy with a big heart. R.I.P. Big Al. miss you buddy.

Today sucks.

noa
04-15-2013, 11:11 PM
I had a friend in high school who was one of those successful, popular, volunteering, leadership types. He got into a good college and one night took mushrooms and freaked out and slit his throat and jumped off the balcony. From what I heard, it was solely due to the crazy trip, he never displayed any indications that he would do something like that had he been sober.

DaneMcCloud
04-15-2013, 11:16 PM
I had a friend in high school who was one of those successful, popular, volunteering, leadership types. He got into a good college and one night took mushrooms and freaked out and slit his throat and jumped off the balcony. From what I heard, it was solely due to the crazy trip, he never displayed any indications that he would do something like that had he been sober.

I'm sorry to hear that, Dude.

Be careful. Prescription drugs, especially as we age, can have just as serious side-effects, if not moreso.

Phobia
04-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Guy I was in the USMC with killed a female Marine because he was involved in a love triangle with her. Dumped her body literally in a dumpster. She was probably the homeliest girl I've ever seen in my life. Shows you how desperate military guys are on base when 49 men are chasing one lady.

DaneMcCloud
04-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Guy I was in the USMC with killed a female Marine because he was involved in a love triangle with her. Dumped her body literally in a dumpster. She was probably the homeliest girl I've ever seen in my life. Shows you how desperate military guys are on base when 49 men are chasing one lady.

That's awful

TimeForWasp
04-15-2013, 11:57 PM
I killed my bottle of whiskey tonight.

mikey23545
04-16-2013, 12:34 AM
When I was in high school my best friend had a twin sister, and the three of us used to hang out together all the time. During our junior year his sister went on a shopping trip by herself to a neighboring town. She was never seen again.

Her body was found months later in a dump in another city. It turns out she was one of the 41 victims of Gerald Stano, one of the most prolific mass murderers ever.

Years later, I was sitting in a small pub in Port Orange, Florida when a not very attractive women sat down next to me and first tried to get me to buy her a drink, then asked to borrow twenty dollars. The answer to each request was no. She eventually got up and left, but after that I would every now and then see her hanging around the bar.

I would eventually see her face again on the "picture tube". Her name was Aileen Wuornos, the female mass murderer who offed seven men here in the state of Florida. They made a movie called "Monster" about her starring Charlize Theron.

Why couldn't it have been Charlize who sit down and asked for me to buy her a drink that night... :)

Pitt Gorilla
04-16-2013, 12:41 AM
When I was in high school my best friend had a twin sister, and the three of us used to hang out together all the time. During our junior year his sister went on a shopping trip by herself to a neighboring town. She was never seen again.

Her body was found months later in a dump in another city. It turns out she was one of the 41 victims of Gerald Stano, one of the most prolific mass murderers ever.

Years later, I was sitting in a small pub in Port Orange, Florida when a not very attractive women sat down next to me and first tried to get me to buy her a drink, then asked to borrow twenty dollars. The answer to each request was no. She eventually got up and left, but after that I would every now and then see her hanging around the bar.

I would eventually see her face again on the "picture tube". Her name was Aileen Wuornos, the female mass murderer who offed seven men here in the state of Florida. They made a movie called "Monster" about her starring Charlize Theron.

Why couldn't it have been Charlize who sit down and asked for me to buy her a drink that night... :)Wow.

Rasputin
04-16-2013, 12:51 AM

Why couldn't it have been Charlize who sit down and asked for me to buy her a drink that night... :)

Holy Shit Balls Batman!

Am just glad you are here to tell that story man.

Rasputin
04-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Man mickey2345 reminded me of my second wife telling me that she grew up in a house down the street or practically next door to the BTK killer that was caught in Park City a few years back. Freaky.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-16-2013, 12:58 AM

/thread

BryanBusby
04-16-2013, 01:10 AM

I was trying to think of something good for this thread than I read this post. Nothing could come close to that, jesus.

Sorter
04-16-2013, 01:14 AM

JFC.

Titty Meat
04-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Went to high school with the girl who got abducted at Target a few years back

Phobia
04-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Was in Jr. High with an attractive young girl... She and her little brother evidently blew their dad's head off with a shotgun and claimed that he was abusive to them. They ended up getting off of murder charges but still did time in juvenile detention until 18.

Rasputin
04-16-2013, 01:31 AM
Was in Jr. High with an attractive young girl... She and her little brother evidently blew their dad's head off with a shotgun and claimed that he was abusive to them. They ended up getting off of murder charges but still did time in juvenile detention until 18.

That is missed up. Maybe he deserved it if they were being abused that bad but that is still missed up situation.

Ultra Peanut
04-16-2013, 02:08 AM
I guess I should have expected it, but god damn this thread is morbid.

KChiefer
04-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Last summer my buddy's half-brother beat and left-for-dead his girlfriend on the side of the road in Florida. Someone found her in the morning and she was in a coma for weeks, but she awoke with her memory intact. Douchebag had come back here to IL and when the cops came knocking he tried to say she went to Florida by herself and he wasn't even there. I can't say I thought he'd be capable of that, but he was certainly a guy I didn't trust. He was the epitome of white trash. A few years ago, he and/or his previous girlfriend were suspected of shaking their baby who had developmental issues.

A couple years ago another friend snapped at a house party and stabbed a couple people. In his defense the guys had threatened him and he had been drinking, but ultimately he initiated the attack. After cutting two people (who survived), a few other guys worked my him over, his face was unrecognizable.

pikesome
04-16-2013, 03:06 AM

We live just down the street from them, walk past there to and fro school. My son was in school with her younger brother. The father would have been my son's football coach from what I understand.

Something was going on at their house today as a matter of fact, bunch of TV cameras and reporters.

Lex Luthor
04-16-2013, 06:02 AM

I think we have a clear winner here.

phisherman
04-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Went to high school with and knew personally, Ben Appleby, the guy that murdered Ali Kemp back in the early 2000s. He was a bit of a wildcard even back then.

blaise
04-16-2013, 06:29 AM
I know someone that met the Unabomber.

bevischief
04-16-2013, 06:31 AM
I guess I should have expected it, but god damn this thread is morbid.

This.

InChiefsHeaven
04-16-2013, 06:39 AM
My first apartment. 235\month utilities paid. This was in the early 90's, but that was cheap even then, which gives you an idea of the neighbors I had. A lot of Section 8, and a lot of crazy people. There was a guy, Steve, who lived on the bottom floor. Other neighbors said he was a schizo, but he seemed like a really nice person to me, very quiet. I even had a beer with him in his apartment once. Long and short, I come home one day and there is an ambulance leaving the parking lot. The only other sane person in the complex besides me said that Steve had not taken his meds because his sister was out of town and not there to make sure he did. Dude stabbed himself 28 times in the chest with a serrated steak knife. From what I understand, he lived, but I never saw him again after that.

...excitable boy, they all said.

SAUTO
04-16-2013, 06:43 AM
growning up where i did everyone was fucking crazy.

no good place to start with the stories

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Guy I was in the USMC with killed a female Marine because he was involved in a love triangle with her. Dumped her body literally in a dumpster. She was probably the homeliest girl I've ever seen in my life. Shows you how desperate military guys are on base when 49 men are chasing one lady.Jesus.....

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2013, 06:48 AM
My first apartment. 235\month utilities paid. This was in the early 90's, but that was cheap even then, which gives you an idea of the neighbors I had. A lot of Section 8, and a lot of crazy people. There was a guy, Steve, who lived on the bottom floor. Other neighbors said he was a schizo, but he seemed like a really nice person to me, very quiet. I even had a beer with him in his apartment once. Long and short, I come home one day and there is an ambulance leaving the parking lot. The only other sane person in the complex besides me said that Steve had not taken his meds because his sister was out of town and not there to make sure he did. Dude stabbed himself 28 times in the chest with a serrated steak knife. From what I understand, he lived, but I never saw him again after that.

...excitable boy, they all said.wow, makes you think...

chefsos
04-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Back in the '80s my boss hired a high school kid to help us during the summer. One day I drove a delivery van down to the beach with the kid to pick up some furniture or something. He seemed a little lazy, kinda weird, but most school kids are. That night the kid went over to the boss' house and killed him with a rubber mallet. Take this job and shove it!

But I didn't piss off Aileen Wuornos, so I have no chance at winning this thread.

Frosty
04-16-2013, 07:38 AM
I used to work with a guy whose son is one of two fifth graders recently arrested for bringing a gun to school to kill an ex-girlfriend and other students.

Two northeast Washington fifth-grade boys accused of bringing a knife and a stolen gun to school in a conspiracy to harm classmates were brought to court in shackles Friday and ordered held on $100,000 bonds.

Colville School District Superintendent Michael Cashion said he was told the boys "had a plan to kill an ex-girlfriend - I don't know what a girlfriend means in fifth grade - and harm other students.

"There was no list, but names were given to the police," he said. "I can't get my mind around it."

The guy was a heck of a nice guy but apparently a lousy parent as all four of his kids have now been arrested for felonies. :shake:

Prison Bitch
04-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Are you 19?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Are you 19?

Nah, he was 20 when he dropped out

New World Order
04-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Was there when Owen Hart fell to his death at Kemper Arena.

Rasputin
04-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Back in the '80s my boss hired a high school kid to help us during the summer. One day I drove a delivery van down to the beach with the kid to pick up some furniture or something. He seemed a little lazy, kinda weird, but most school kids are. That night the kid went over to the boss' house and killed him with a rubber mallet. Take this job and shove it!

But I didn't piss off Aileen Wuornos, so I have no chance at winning this thread.

Damn. That is fucked up.

Radar Chief
04-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Police are still searching for this guy:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2hcqq8j.jpg

In connection with the murder and arson to cover it up of this woman:

http://i45.tinypic.com/16m36lf.jpg

Story here:
http://www.koamtv.com/story/21005034/body-found-at-scene-of-a-chanute-fire

I went to high school with both his parents and I’ll just say the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Lzen
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Never heard of that guy. Wiki says there is controversy surrounding his conviction. Says there is a lot of question on whether he actually committed these murders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Stano
Controversy has long accompanied Gerald Stano's criminal history, with some<sup class="noprint Inline-Template" style="white-space:nowrap;">[who? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words)]</sup> believing that Stano was actually a 'serial confessor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_confessor)', including his arresting officer, Detective James Gadberry, who challenged the decision to accept Stano's first confessions as valid and, in 1986, signed a legal affidavit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affidavit) stating unequivocably that Sergeant Paul Crow was responsible for "spoon feeding" Stano the intimate details of unsolved homicides. According to Gadberry's affidavit, Stano merely parroted the information back to Crow while other veteran homicide officers later made statements to the effect that, they too, had witnessed Paul Crow 'helping' Stano to confess to crimes he had not committed.
Crow's colleagues<sup class="noprint Inline-Template" style="white-space:nowrap;">[who? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words)]</sup> recalled how he actively gathered information on unsolved or "cold case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_case_%28criminology%29)" murders from foreign jurisdictions. During sworn testimony in Orlando Federal Appeals Court in 1993, Crow himself recalled using copies of stories from the local newspaper to locate details about murders to which Stano later confessed, including the murder for which Stano was later executed.
In 1995, Crow was removed from office by a grand jury appointed by Florida Governor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Florida) Lawton Chiles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawton_Chiles), citing corruption.
Further controversy surrounded the fact that Stano, in spite of his 41 murder confessions, was brought to trial for just one homicide: that of 17-year-old Cathy Lee Scharf, who was murdered in December 1973. A conspicuous lack of physical evidence corroborating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corroboration) Stano's confessions made it virtually impossible for jurisdictions in Florida to prosecute, and Stano's previous convictions were exclusively the result of his own guilty pleas.<sup class="Template-Fact" style="white-space:nowrap;">[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]</sup>
Following a hung jury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_jury), prosecutors introduced the testimony of a jailhouse informant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informant#Jailhouse_informants), Clarence Zacke, who was later discredited when another man against whom he had testified, Wilton Dedge, was released after serving 22 years for rape (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape); lawyers for the Innocence Project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project) established that his DNA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA) did not match that found on the victim.<sup class="Template-Fact" style="white-space:nowrap;">[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]</sup>
During a secretly recorded conversation with freelance reporter Arthur Nash in 1997, Zacke admitted that he had lied regarding Stano and other defendants, including Wilton Dedge. He said his testimony had been fabricated with the assistance of two county prosecutors, who offered him incentives in exchange for testimony.<sup class="Template-Fact" style="white-space:nowrap;">[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]</sup>
In late 2007, an FBI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI) lab report surfaced which concluded that Stano could not have been the source of unidentified Caucasian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race) pubic hairs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pubic_hair) that were recovered from Scharf's body. The report was never presented as evidence by the public defender representing Stano. The source of the pubic hairs was not identified, and they were destroyed shortly after Stano's execution in the Florida electric chair in 1998.

I'm not saying either way. Just curious, what is your take on this?

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2013, 08:31 AM

But I didn't piss off Aileen Wuornos, so I have no chance at winning this thread.:eek:

Rain Man
04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
There have been a lot of interesting brushes with madness around here. No wonder you people are so messed up.

BlackHelicopters
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
One of my former employees hung herself after I fired her.

patteeu
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't remember where I had been, but I was coming home early one morning to the apartment where my wife and I lived and I saw a guy hanging from the balcony of the building next door. I yelled to my wife to bring a knife and I went over and held the guy up until she got there and cut the belt he was trying to hang himself with. His girlfriend and his roommate came out of the apartment when they heard the commotion and took over from there. They'd been up all night partying and they said he'd been having trouble with depression. The cops came and took a statement. I never saw the guy again and never heard what happened to him.

Other than that, I've lead a pretty sheltered life.

Dane'sCousin
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
I went to Oakland once. Raiders fans everywhere.... stole my rental car... crazy.

58-4ever
04-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Yikes. That will stick with you for a while.

Radar Chief
04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
There have been a lot of interesting brushes with madness around here. No wonder you people are so messed up.

You just made the list buddy. /”Psycho” not Francis Soyer

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2013, 09:17 AM
One of my former employees hung herself after I fired her.Ouch man....

Titty Meat
04-16-2013, 09:21 AM
We live just down the street from them, walk past there to and fro school. My son was in school with her younger brother. The father would have been my son's football coach from what I understand.

Something was going on at their house today as a matter of fact, bunch of TV cameras and reporters.

Yeah he's a state senator now. The TV crews were probably there because congressmen Yoder is trying to make Kelsey's law a federal law.

Radar Chief
04-16-2013, 09:23 AM

My sister’s boyfriend blew his brains out after my sister and his wife found out about each other at the same time.
It’s been a couple of years ago and she’s still pretty torn up over it.

The Franchise
04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Not me....but one of the ladies that I used to work with. She's older....in her 70s. She went to school with a shy kid who didn't really have any friends. As they got older....her Mom became friends with his Mom. Eventually....in their teenage years....their moms tried to set them up on a date. It never happened and her family moved away.

That man? Charles Manson.

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Not me....but one of the ladies that I used to work with. She's older....in her 70s. She went to school with a shy kid who didn't really have any friends. As they got older....her Mom became friends with his Mom. Eventually....in their teenage years....their moms tried to set them up on a date. It never happened and her family moved away.

That man? Charles Manson.Creepy....

Nzoner
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Don't talk about it much but when I was in the 5th grade my father had a nervous breakdown(thought mom was having an affair) and I spent the better part of 6 hours experiencing him fighting with his demons and going back and forth between madness and loving.My mom actually credits me for saving her life that night and shortly before we escaped my father was coming at me with a hammer.

Much more to the story but it's the closest brush to madness I've ever had and ever want to have.BTW,father got plenty of professional help,found God and is remarried now for 30 years and doing well.

redfan
04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
My downstairs neighbor hung herself w/ a bedsheet in her apartment after a tiff w/ her b/f. I caught a glimpse of her body(a day(?) after if happened). Only dead body I've seen that wasn't in a casket.

Radar Chief
04-16-2013, 09:35 AM
I’ve got a cousin whose ex-wife hired a hit man to kill him. He got ambushed in his own house and ended up talking the guy out of it.

The Franchise
04-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I’ve got a cousin whose ex-wife hired a hit man to kill him. He got ambushed in his own house and ended up talking the guy out of it.

That's a horrible hitman.

Brock
04-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Once worked with an old man who hired a hitman to kill his brother over a land dispute. The hit was successful, except he also killed the guy's mother. They both ended up on death row in Alabama.

The Franchise
04-16-2013, 09:47 AM
I don't know if I'd call it madness......but where I grew up (Pierre, SD)....11 people (8 teenagers) killed themselves in a 3 year period. The town only has 13,000 people. I personally knew 4 of them.

chefsos
04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
That's a horrible hitman.Hell, maybe he negotiated a better deal. Good businessman, I say...

Nzoner
04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't know if I'd call it madness......but where I grew up (Pierre, SD)....11 people (8 teenagers) killed themselves in a 3 year period. The town only has 13,000 people. I personally knew 4 of them.

Damn,that sounds like something out of a sci-fi novel.Was there ever any kind of link established?

ModSocks
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Back when i was a youngin' managing a movie theater, one of my employees was an older philipino lady (late 40's/early 50's). Real sweet lady. I had known her for about 2-3 years. She had been working there for years before i had even shown up. One day she didn't come to work. I found out later that day she had been murdered by her husband.

I had only seen her husband once in all the years she worked there. She rarely even talked about him. Old, nerdy white guy. He had thick glasses, pasty, looked like he didn't get out much.

Murder-Suicide. Never saw it coming. She was happy one day, gone the next.

My wife had a real close friend who was murdered by Mexican "coyotes" right here in San Diego.

Im not going to share the whole story because their are so many ultra right wing racist dick heads here, but it was pretty tragic.

The Franchise
04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Damn,that sounds like something out of a sci-fi novel.Was there ever any kind of link established?

There was at least one suicide pact for the 4 kids that I knew. They all agreed that if one person killed themselves....the others would follow. Fucking morons.

KCUnited
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
I had a friend go missing the year after high school, his dismembered body was found 3 months later. No one was ever charged, but you had the feeling people knew. It was some real Winter's Bone type shit that still gives me the creeps 18 years later. I'll take the KCMO weekend body counts over small town horror/shady police any day.

Radar Chief
04-16-2013, 10:15 AM
That's a horrible hitman.

Agreed, but good for my cousin that his ex went cheap on the hired help.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 10:47 AM

What an amazing story!

I wonder how many men she would have killed had she been attractive?

Buehler445
04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow. I lead a (thankfully) sheltered life.

The best I have is my wife is from Herington. Apparently McVeigh (IIRC...anyway the OKC bomber that rented the truck from Herington) stayed a couple doors down from her grandma, and she had to be interrogated by the FBI.

She is an old brittish lady that doesn't hear worth a damn and has trouble tracking sometimes. I bet that was fun.

Oh, and mikey wins. Jesus dude.

gblowfish
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
I saw OJ Simpson and his wife Nicole at Arrowhead the Fall before he whacked her. They were both on the sidelines with field passes.

Sorter
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
What an amazing story!

*shudders*

patteeu
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I saw OJ Simpson and his wife Nicole at Arrowhead the Fall before he whacked her. They were both on the sidelines with field passes.

Eerie.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM

I went to her condo a few months after the murder, just to get a feel for the surroundings and even made the drive from her place to his home (since demolished) on Rockingham.

Talk about creepy.

Lex Luthor
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Wait. What? You think OJ did it?

Frazod
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I went to her condo a few months after the murder, just to get a feel for the surroundings and even made the drive from her place to his home (since demolished) on Rockingham.

Talk about creepy.

I've seen the uncensored crime scene photos. Holy shit. He slit her throat all the way back to the spine. :eek:

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 11:37 AM
I've seen the uncensored crime scene photos. Holy shit. He slit her throat all the way back to the spine. :eek:

Yep. I knew that before the trial even started because a friend of mine worked in his original attorney's office.

Psycho.

beach tribe
04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Found out that one of the people I frequently associated with in the darker of the two worlds I used to live in raped and murdered the mother of one of my closest female friends. I hung out with him for 6 months or more before he was arrested. Fuckin crazy.

beach tribe
04-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Talk about creepy.

The fact that you did that is creepy.

Rain Man
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I think someday I'm going to count Dane's post as my brush with madness.

Canofbier
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
In 2005, I was in class with Esmie Tseng (http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2005/09/murder_charge_d.html) the same day she went home and stabbed her mom to death.

Frazod
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Yep. I knew that before the trial even started because a friend of mine worked in his original attorney's office.

Psycho.

It still amazes me how inept the prosecutors were. A complete slam dunk and they blew it. Every one of them should have been disbarred.

Titty Meat
04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
In 2005, I was in class with Esmie Tseng (http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2005/09/murder_charge_d.html) the same day she went home and stabbed her mom to death.

I remember that. IIRC she was a hot little asian no? Was she a weirdo?

Canofbier
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
I remember that. IIRC she was a hot little asian no? Was she a weirdo?

She was cute enough, I guess. The sort of frightening thing about the whole situation was that she didn't seem too different from anyone else I knew. She was a bit "off" that day, and she may have been on drugs at the time. I think that she was under heavy pressure from her parents (grades, extracurriculars, etc), and I guess that the drugs finally caused her to snap.

beach tribe
04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
His name was Tracy Harris. I forgot to mention that one of his reletives, his aunt I think, dismembered a guy........as a sacrifice to Satan, aaaaaaand she ate a little of him.
If you want to look him up it happened in McKenzie, TN.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 12:08 PM

I listened to the trial every single day. It was all that was on the news, the radio, etc. for years in Los Angeles. If you'll recall, there were nightly recaps on CNN, not to mention local recaps at lunch and in the evening. The nation was obsessed.

The reason I went there was because it was difficult to believe anyone's account, whether it was O.J.'s defense, the police or the prosecutor's. And believe me when I say it was a circus at the condo and at O.J.'s home.

There were scores of people at both locations.

teedubya
04-16-2013, 12:09 PM
My biological father threw my mom and I out of the car at age 2.5 or so... and he tried to run us over with the car... luckily, Mom threw me in a ditch and covered me up... he barely missed her... and drove off leaving us stranded.

I saw him one time after that, when I was five... another time at my grandma's funeral at age 15... and have never seen him again.

Needless to say, he's been in and out of prison. o_O

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
It still amazes me how inept the prosecutors were. A complete slam dunk and they blew it. Every one of them should have been disbarred.

Absolutely. And Judge Ito? Really?

beach tribe
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
I listened to the trial every single day. It was all that was on the news, the radio, etc. for years in Los Angeles. If you'll recall, there were nightly recaps on CNN, not to mention local recaps at lunch and in the evening. The nation was obsessed.

The reason I went there was because it was difficult to believe anyone's account, whether it was O.J.'s defense, the police or the prosecutor's. And believe me when I say it was a circus at the condo and at O.J.'s home.

There were scores of people at both locations.

It was a really big deal back then, but why were you playing Hardy Boys?
Did you think you were gonna find some evidence with your magnifying glass?:D

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
It was a really big deal back then, but why were you playing Hardy Boys?
Did you think you were gonna find some evidence with your magnifying glass?:D

Nah, I was just curious as to whether or not one could drive from his Rockingham estate to the condo in under 10 minutes (which was a "Yes") and I was curious about the size of the courtyard and why no one heard any sounds.

It's still very bizarre, considering the small space. O.J. must have been waiting for them both and killed them immediately because the condo was surrounded by other condos and there are homes right across the street.

It was definitely premeditated. I doubt either Nicole or Ron Goldman even knew what was happening.

RockChalk
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Obsessed is absolutely correct

I was in 8th grade when the verdict was announced over our middle school intercom. What other trial past or present would have the verdict announced live over a school pa system?

gblowfish
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
A good friend of mine named Teak used to live in a rental house on Truman Road in Independence. We used to go over there to drink and play board games, and poker and such. This was in the early 1990s. He moved out, and some guy and his GF moved right in. They crossed paths as he was getting his stuff out and they were bringing their stuff in. Anyway it turned out this guy was Richard Davis. He and his GF tortured and killed a woman in that house and videotaped it. They're both doing life now: http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=794128#.UW2bKoKR_WY

DJ's left nut
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Planet,

Today I was reminded of how often I live in a cocoon. I overheard some coworkers talking about a recent murder that happened in town, they then mentioned a past incident regarding a student and suspicious circumstances.

It turns out that a student committed suicide eight months ago by jumping off of a parking garage in town. Some months after his death, multiple witnesses came forward implicating him in the death of a professor, including bludgeoning and immolation, in a parking garage no less, eight years earlier. These witnesses claimed they were afraid to come forward for fear of reprisal.

It turns out that the now deceased student was a student of mine a few summers ago. He came off as a bit irascible, but it's difficult to conceptualize occupying a shared space with an alleged murderer for six hours a week.

Needless to say, spooky.

Any similar events from you all?

My close friend worked with the guy that killed Molly Bowden several years ago. I had a few beers with him once. Just a standard, kinda geeky, computer kid.

Titty Meat
04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm surprised none of the older CP generation has chimed in with the dude from KC who was like Dahmer. If you went to the Westport Flea Market in the 80's you probably crossed paths right?

Frosty
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
In junior high, my best friend was this guy named Nathan (I've mentioned before here that he saved my life once when we were inter-tubing at the local reservoir and I almost drowned). In high school, we drifted apart, primarily because he was becoming more and more involved in drugs and I wasn't interested in going down that road.

During our Senior year, he got another classmate pregnant and they ended up getting married. We were working at the same grocery store at the time and I know he was trying to get clean but having a rough go of it.

After graduation, I lost all contact with him. A couple of years later, I got the news that his marriage had failed. He ended up going to her apartment where he poured gas over himself and lit himself on fire in front of her and their daughter.

She recently wrote a book (http://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Bruises-While-Singing-Choir/dp/1450794807) about her experience and recovery. It turned out that through all of their time together, he was regularly beating her up. I had no idea that was happening or that he was even capable of that. She says in the book that the police believe that if she hadn't had someone with her that day, he probably would have killed her and possibly their daughter first since he had repeatedly told her that "if I can't have you, no one will".

It's been tough getting my mind around the whole thing.

mikey23545
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
What an amazing story!

I am absolutely sure the total would have been higher.

I mean, that woman was tough to look at.

Titty Meat
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I am absolutely sure the total would have been higher.

I mean, that woman was tough to look at.

I just looked her up on Youtube guess she got the death penalty. Was she that fucking weird in person?

Sully
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but a couple of other posters and I went to HS with The guy who raped and killed the girl at the Leawood pool. I wasn't real good friends with him, but we hung out a few times and he was often my wrestling partner.

Sully
04-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Of course, my real mother takes the cake. She's nuts. She has tried to kill herself many times. When I was 13, she tried to kill herself on Christmas with the old hose in the tailpipe trick. The next day she told me about it in detail, explaining that if I were a better son she wouldn't do these things.
About 10 years ago, she asked me to borrow some money, which I didn't have to give. A few nights later, she called me late at night to drive her to the hospital er because she was having a diabetic episode. I took her and waited for several hours. The doctors kept coming out and making sure I was going to stay with her, which seemed odd. So after spending the night at the hospital all night, and then releasing her after I promised to stay with her for several days, on the way home she described that if she couldn't rely on her only son, then she had no reason to live, and had "tried" to OD on insulin. I stayed with her for a while to make sure she was safe... And cut off all contact with her soon after.

DJ's left nut
04-16-2013, 02:13 PM

They'd have won that case 100 times out of 100 had they re-done it today.

They did a mediocre, but not altogether terrible job. The problem is that DNA was so 'novel' a concept then, and so new to the general public, that it was easy to blow holes in it if you were a skilled defense team.

Cochran was the master of baffling with bullshit and he was given an absolutely perfect case to use that approach on.

There's no such thing as a 'slam dunk' murder case, to be honest. They're extremely hard to win if you have a good defense team. Simpson probably had the best team ever assembled and he set them to work on a barely understood 'new' science. The prosecutors didn't even understand it that well and it was obvious in how they tried to use it.

But again, given how limited general knowledge of DNA was at the time, it's not terribly surprising that the verdict went as it did.

And like I said, if that trial happens even 5 years later, OJ's jury comes back with a guilty verdict in 10 minutes. The evidence presented by the prosecutors was sufficient to seal a verdict. The Jury just didn't know what to do with it.

EDIT: Dane's spot on about Ito, though. That guy did an absolutely horrific job overseeing that trial.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
They'd have won that case 100 times out of 100 had they re-done it today.

They did a mediocre, but not altogether terrible job. The problem is that DNA was so 'novel' a concept then, and so new to the general public, that it was easy to blow holes in it if you were a skilled defense team.

Cochran was the master of baffling with bullshit and he was given an absolutely perfect case to use that approach on.

There's no such thing as a 'slam dunk' murder case, to be honest. They're extremely hard to win if you have a good defense team. Simpson probably had the best team ever assembled and he set them to work on a barely understood 'new' science. The prosecutors didn't even understand it that well and it was obvious in how they tried to use it.

But again, given how limited general knowledge of DNA was at the time, it's not terribly surprising that the verdict went as it did.

And like I said, if that trial happens even 5 years later, OJ's jury comes back with a guilty verdict in 10 minutes. The evidence presented by the prosecutors was sufficient to seal a verdict. The Jury just didn't know what to do with it.

I disagree and the reason is that the O.J. verdict was a slam to the LAPD, Daryl Gates and the sham trials that occurred in the wake of the Rodney King beating.

It was payback and everyone in the city knew it.

Furthermore, those jurors weren't his "peers". His peers lived in Malibu, Brentwood, Santa Monica and Pacific Palisades, not downtown or South Central L.A.

jettio
04-16-2013, 02:20 PM

Glad your cousin survived, but that was an astonishing lack of professionalism.

ThaVirus
04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I was too young to have seen the specifics of the OJ case as they unfolded, but I've been told it was basically Johnny Cochran saying "What the **** is this "DNA" shit? I've never even heard of it. It can't be used here"..

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
I disagree and the reason is that the O.J. verdict was a slam to the LAPD, Daryl Gates and the sham trials that occurred in the wake of the Rodney King beating.

Furthermore, those jurors weren't his "peers". His peers lived in Malibu, Brentwood, Santa Monica and Pacific Palisades, not downtown or South Central L.A.

Numerous interesting things about that verdict. One is that the prosecution made in error in jury selection by having so many black women, as they were the demographic least empathetic towards him abusing a white woman.

The concept of DNA was so novel to the uninitiated that I'm sure it seemed like pseudoscience to them. Bill Simmons of all people wrote an excellent recap of the OJ verdict wherein he talked at great length about the prosecution's ineptitude, especially WRT to properly explaining DNA to the jury.

DJ's left nut

Doesn't that again speak to the timing of it, though? And to the fact that there just wasn't a hell of a lot the prosecutors could've done about it?

I can't speak to the internal politics of LA, obviously. And really, I was quite young when the trial was conducted. But when I was in school later, I went over many of the transcripts and even watched most of the testimony - the Prosecutors did a credible, but by no means good job.

It was a much harder case than most people give Darden/Clark credit for. And really, you can only do so much when you have a racist dickweed as a key witness.

It wasn't a good L, but it was one that where the verdict itself gives me more pause than the performance of the prosecutors. The prosecutors efforts, to my eye, should have easily secured a conviction.

Radar Chief
Glad your cousin survived, but that was an astonishing lack of professionalism.

Hollywood makes it look easy, as simple as point and click on a computer game, but pulling the trigger on someone in front of you pleading for their life takes a level of callousness most don’t possess.
The guy most likely wasn’t a killer, just thought he could be because he thought he needed the money more than a clear conscience.

DJ's left nut
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Numerous interesting things about that verdict. One is that the prosecution made in error in jury selection by having so many black women, as they were the demographic least empathetic towards him abusing a white woman.

The concept of DNA was so novel to the uninitiated that I'm sure it seemed like pseudoscience to them. Bill Simmons of all people wrote an excellent recap of the OJ verdict wherein he talked at great length about the prosecution's ineptitude, especially WRT to properly explaining DNA to the jury.

Exactly. I've not been around enough juries to speak authoritatively to them, but I've been around enough to see that glazed over look they get in their eyes. Jurors get bored easily. And frankly, jurors are - as often as not - just not very intelligent people.

I've never been terribly impressed by the jury as a true indicator of guilt or innocence. I'd honestly rather see a panel of 9 trained, educated attorneys establish my guilt or innocence in any of these things. But hell, what do you do?

The prosecutors didn't do a good job of 'dumbing down' DNA evidence, but it takes a degree of understanding and sophistication as it relates to the field in order to do a decent job of distilling it into something that a jury can easily digest. The LA prosecutors office simply didn't have that understanding and to be fair, very few people in the world did. I find it difficult to really barbecue them for that.

Frazod
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM

The whole glove thing made me crazy. You can take any glove that fits your hand, expand your fingers and act like it doesn't fit. Seriously, people fell for that? Holy shit. Clearly most of the jurors were window-licking retards, but if just one of the prosecutors had stood up, grabbed the glove (or any other glove) and did the same thing, then just slipped it on, I think the prick gets convicted. Instead, that single act of complete horseshit paralyzed them. :shake:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-16-2013, 02:34 PM
The whole glove thing made me crazy. You can take any glove that fits your hand, expand your fingers and act like it doesn't fit. Seriously, people fell for that? Holy shit. Clearly most of the jurors were window-licking retards, but if just one of the prosecutors had stood up, grabbed the glove (or any other glove) and did the same thing, then just slipped it on, I think the prick gets convicted. Instead, that single act of complete horseshit paralyzed them. :shake:

You know why Darden had him do that? Because F. Lee Bailey told him he had, "the balls of a field mouse."

Excellent DNA quote:

"I didn't understand the DNA stuff at all. To me, it was just a waste of time. It was way out there and carried no weight with me."

sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040611

jettio
04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Hollywood makes it look easy, as simple as point and click on a computer game, but pulling the trigger on someone in front of you pleading for their life takes a level of callousness most don’t possess.
The guy most likely wasn’t a killer, just thought he could be because he thought he needed the money more than a clear conscience.

So, are you saying that this mope was not board certified?

Did the ex-wife get prosecuted for pushing the button?

Radar Chief
04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
So, are you saying that this mope was not board certified?

Did the ex-wife get prosecuted for pushing the button?

I assume he pressed charges but not sure. I don’t have much contact with that branch of the family. Most of us are in the Midwest but they’re in Oregon.

gblowfish
04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Todd Haley gave me the finger once....

Sorter
04-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Todd Haley gave me the finger once....

Did it feel good?

gblowfish
04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
He allegedly gave me the finger.
He said "He might have waved...."

Sorter
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
He allegedly gave me the finger.
He said "He might have waved...."

So, he didn't fingerbang you?

gblowfish
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
So, he didn't fingerbang you?
No, but on Dec 20, 2009, he made me witness Jerome Harrison set the all time single game rushing record -286 yards- smashing Jim Brown's record. And he gave up two kick returns for TDs to Josh Cribbs...all on Fan Appreciation day.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8151cc56/article/browns-rb-harrison-breaks-jim-browns-franchise-rushing-record

patteeu
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
No, but on Dec 20, 2009, he made me witness Jerome Harrison set the all time single game rushing record -286 yards- smashing Jim Brown's record. And he gave up two kick returns for TDs to Josh Cribbs...all on Fan Appreciation day.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8151cc56/article/browns-rb-harrison-breaks-jim-browns-franchise-rushing-record

And let promising TE, Brad Cottam, break his neck.

FishingRod
04-16-2013, 03:30 PM
There was a murder suicide in my house. It wasn’t me

Trench
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I worked for several months as a security guard with Steve Rios. Rios went on to become a cop in Columbia then slit his boyfriend's throat. Kind of a creepy guy, but not someone you'd automatically peg as a murderer.

The Franchise
04-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Exactly. I've not been around enough juries to speak authoritatively to them, but I've been around enough to see that glazed over look they get in their eyes. Jurors get bored easily. And frankly, jurors are - as often as not - just not very intelligent people.

That's because a damn good majority of jury members AREN'T intelligent. I got called for jury duty for a murder case involving a 21 year old city council member here. Youngest CC member in the history here and the guy was shot in the back of the head one night by a stray bullet. The guy who shot the gun was trying to get revenge for a drug deal gone bad. I sat in the jury for the accomplice who was the guy who got fucked in the drug deal. It took me HOURS to explain to the rest of the jury that being fucked on a drug deal does not give you a right to go back and demand your money and threaten someone. They were willing to let the guy walk because....and I quote "it was his money". I swear to god....HOURS of me trying to explain that this was an illegal transaction to these fucks.

Finally got that worthless fuck committed too.

Titty Meat
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Didn't Frazod smoke up with Dale Carter the night he shot up Westport?

beach tribe
04-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Damn, here goes....
My dads friend killed his wife. He borrowed my dads van to get rid of the body. It was never found. No charges were ever filed.
I know the mans name, and what city he lives in. Her body was thrown in the Mighty Mississip.
Dad swears that he found out he used the van for that.......because her ghost was in his kitchen when the guy was getting rid of the body. Said he confronted him about it and he confessed it to him.
My mom and dad both swear to seeing her sitting at the table in her night gown.

Chief Roundup
04-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Don't know if you all remember hearing of the CSA, Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the lord. Some of those people use to work for my father on a large farm. They seemed like decent enough people just really poor and had some odd religious beliefs. They always worked hard, never drank, and helped the people of the area that were not part of their community after a tornado. I went to pick up some of the guys to work one day and they are blowing shit up. I asked if I could and that was when I got to shoot my first fully automatic rifle. I got to pull the pin and throw a hand grenade. I got to shoot a mortar round and stood next to Jim when he shot a rocket and blew up an old truck. I thought it was cool. I was very naïve in some ways but things were different back then too. I was in my mid teens when the encampment that those people lived on was seized. The FBI, ATF and other agencies used our farm as a launching point for the assault. It was the first time I ever seen an aircraft that can displace its sound.

rico
04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
I worked in the mental health field for 5 years prior to making the decision to go back to school to pursue my Psychiatric RN Practitioner license, for I discovered that I had to expand my options somehow if I ever have any intentions of fully paying off my student loans, which wasn't going to happen with only a BA in Psychology at a private school. In those 5 years, I worked as a Service Coordinator/Internal Business Auditor/Intensive Psychiatric Rehabilitation practitioner. Had many brushes with madness while working there, especially in the Service Coordinator role. I won't get into those.

To the tl;dr police, this is a warning in advance. This is probably going to be too long, so don't read. I would also like to stress how incredibly sorry I am for it being so tl;dr. :)

I had numerous brushes with madness with a particular friend of mine in college. I wrestled at a D3 college. There was a guy on my team who was very hard-working, popular, nice, happy, intelligent, etc. He came from a respected family. His father owned the suit store in the city in which the college was located. I became good friends with him because the person on our team that I became best friends with (and still am) was this guy's best friend growing up. So he and I became pretty tight through our mutual friendship with my current and now longtime best friend.

Anyways.

Our mutual friend transferred to the University of Colorado prior to the beginning of our Junior years. Around the second semester of our Sophomore year, the guy in which my brush(es) with madness are in reference to started becoming very eccentric. He began speaking about how he wanted to become president of the United States, various political oddities, etc. He also raised his drug use to another level prior from what it was, in which it was already rather excessive. He maintained his toughness though. This guy, in preseason workouts, although not a good wrestler, would finish first in EVERY drill and would just totally dominate in long distance running. This, along with many other things made him come off to me as if he were indestructible.

By about 2nd semester of our Junior year, he became diagnosed with Schizophrenia. By this time, all of his MANY friends with an exception of myself and another person had abandoned him as a friend because everyone was becoming weirded/creeped out by him. Therefore, he was at my house all the time and was at my house the day that he was picked up and taken to the Psych ward and initially given his diagnosis of Schizophrenia. To be completely honest, I cringed whenever he arrived at our place because he really was starting to creep me out as well. However, I remained a loyal friend to him with hopes that maybe in a prolonged period of time, I could help him (although I knew the chances of that happening were low due to how stubborn he was). Not to mention, my best friend who was in Colorado was constantly worried about him and always implied that he wanted me to be supportive of the guy.

When we were Seniors, he joined the cross country team in addition to the wrestling team. He was a football stud in high school and had never run cross country before. He quickly became the team's top runner and once he proved to everyone on the team and presumably himself that he could beat anyone on the team in a long distance race, he quit, but continued to run. He would run 10-15 miles a day and picked up smoking in the process. He would smoke (no exaggeration) 4-5 packs of Marlboro reds per day. He would smoke while running. He would light up cigarettes between every mile. His logic was that he wanted to "prove that he was tougher than cigarettes and any physical ailment that can result from them, including cancer."

A couple weeks before Easter our Senior year, he woke me up at 6:30 A.M. by hitting me in the face with a wine bottle and blowing smoke in my face. Now, if any other friend of mine or anyone else in general would have done this to me, I would have become pissed off and may have instantly resorted to shoving/punching, but this is one of very few people who I have encountered in my life who I was intimidated by, for deep down, I thought he was capable of pulling off some serious shit if provoked.

So I asked him what I wanted and he insisted that I top off the wine he had along with an 18 pack of Budweiser that he brought with him. I was already hungover from the night before and hadn't gotten to sleep until 4 A.M., but agreed to drink with him. After finishing this off, he insisted that we go to a couple bars. We drank at the bars until roughly 6 PM.

We were both annihilated as hell and contacted one of our friends who resided on the outskirts of town. On a windy side-road, to be more specific. This was the one friend who I mentioned above, who was the only one along with myself to remain friends with him. He had been friends with this guy since they were in JH.

With very, very poor judgment on my part, I hopped in his car, knowing full-well that the guy was intoxicated and we drove to our friend's place. I knew it was a bad idea, yet at the same time, if I were to tell the guy that I didn't want to ride with him, he would surely perceive it as a sign of disrespect...something he did not respond well to.

When we got on the curvy, windy road that our friend lived on, this guy was driving anywhere between 85-105 miles per hour. I was so scared that I literally felt like I could piss my pants. On both sides of the road, there were steep ditches, one which led to a bluff.

I had my hand on the "oh shit" handle and saw a curve about 50 yards in front of us that was close to being a 90 degree angle. I looked at him, who was looking straight ahead with a glazed, lifeless expression on his face, then back at the road, then back at him and before I knew it, we had approached this curve and I shit you not, he didn't even make an attempt to successfully make the turn with his car...he just drove straight ahead and in his little Hyundai car, we drove straight into a bluff at approximately 95 miles per hour. In retrospect, I honestly thought he was trying to kill himself at that moment and was willing to take me with him.

The front of his car crumpled like a pop can. While this happened, everything seemed to be going in slow motion. In the little time I had to think, I thought I was either a dead man, or was going to be severely injured. Miraculously though, I ended up with only a bump on my elbow from my elbow hitting the passenger side window. My friend didn't end up with a bump or scratch.

We both crawled out through a broken window and had to literally pull ourselves out of the car and climb the ditch to get to the road. By the time we pulled ourselves back on the road, there was an elderly couple who had run about 200 yards to get to us and were panicked and out of breath due to running. The first words out of the guy's mouth was, "oh my God, we heard that crash all the way from inside our house with the television on, how many people are dead?!?! How many people are hurt?! How many people are still in the vehicle?!?!" My friend still seemed glazed and lifeless as he had prior to driving the car into the bluff and didn't respond. I responded to them by saying, "it was just us two, and we are ok." The old guy then said, "you have got to be kidding me, we thought for sure someone had to have died from that. We saw how fast you were going when you drove by. We called the police to have them help you out, hopefully they can help you get your car pulled out."

After hearing this, my friend's demeanor went from "glazed and lifeless" to completely infuriated. He ran up to this old guy, shoved him and shouted, "call them back now!!! Tell them that it was nothing! Tell them we are ok!!!" The old guy said something along the lines of, "son, I really think the police can help you out. And it's too late, I already called them. I was trying to help you boys." My friend grabbed this old man by the shirt and got his face within a couple inches of the old man's face and said, "call the police and tell them not to come, right now, or I will ****ing kill you."

It was just a few seconds after my friend began threatening this old man that 3-4 cops pulled up. When they saw the car, their first question was, "oh my God, how many do you think are dead or injured?" We informed them that we were the only people in the vehicle and they were shocked.

They gave my friend a breathalyzer and he blew something like a .31. They cuffed him up and sent him to jail. They questioned me a bit. They were very curious to know if I knew anything about the Xanax, Adderall and half ounce of dank that they found in his glove box, in which I denied having any knowledge. They asked me if I had a ride, which I didn't, so they drove me to my house.

I woke up at 10 A.M. to a call from my friend who said he had been running laps in the drunk tank (community jail cell for people recently arrested) until he blew zeros and that he just blew zeros and needed me to pick him up. I agreed.

When I picked him up, he was irate as hell with me. Initially he was pissed off that I didn't "break him out of jail." I responded in a manner that I became accustomed to with the thousands of conversations I had with him prior to that in which he was being out of line. My tactic was to tell him why I didn't do what he wanted me to do, while giving him a compliment simultaneously. I said, "well man, I didn't figure you wanted me to because you are tougher than jail and would be able to blow zeros whenever you felt like it." He shook his head as if he understood and respected my response.

Then he started tripping on me about the crash itself. He started screaming at me, asking, "why the **** didn't you get us out of that shit?!!?!?!" I had no idea what he meant and asked, "what do you mean?" He yelled back, "you know exactly what I mean!! Why didn't you lift my car out of the ditch and throw it back on the road so we could have sped off before the cops got there!!!!" I was like, "duuuude.....your car is totaled. You can't even drive it anymore, it's so bad." He yelled, "stop making ****ing excuses!!! You could have uncrumpled it and put it back together...and we would have drove off and I wouldn't be in this mess right now!!!! It's all your fault!!!" He was dead serious. And I was pretty strong back then...had to cut weight to wrestle 197 pounds that year and was in the weight-room a lot, and this guy evidently classified me as his "strong" friend. I replied, "dude, who the hell do you think I am? The Incredible Hulk?!? I am not strong enough to do that!?!?!" He interrupted, "BULLSHIT!!! You are the strong one of our crew!! You could have done it!!! It's all your fault!!! I replied back to him, in probably the most confrontational fashion that I ever had with him and said, "what the **** is wrong with you!?!? I am not THAT strong and even if I were, we wouldn't have gone anywhere because your car parts are destroyed and I know NOTHING about cars!! And what 'CREW' are you talking about?!!?!? We aren't the ****ing X-Men. And if we are in some sort of super-human 'crew,' what's your role?!?! The guy who drives cars into bluffs at almost 100 MPH?!?! It's NOT my fault this happened. It's yours, for driving when you shouldn't have and for pussing out instead of attempting to make that turn!!!"

I had no idea what his response to this would be, for I had never argued with him and the only person I had ever seen who wasn't too scared too argue with him (over a song being played at a party) had been punched in the face and had his life threatened by him for a week following the dispute.

He was silent for a bit and after a minute or two, responded with, "your a good friend, Swaff. Can you please drive me to my Dad's house?" I agreed and drove him to his Dad's place, which was a cabin on the Mississippi River in East Dubuque, Illinois. When we got there, he asked me to follow him to the sandbar in front of his cabin and gave me a shovel and told me to start digging in the spot he was going to dig at. I was confused as hell, but was used to being confused in my interactions with him and I helped him dig, wondering what in the hell he had buried on his sandbar. We dug through about 4 feet in the sand and he finally dragged out a safe. He had a key on his chain to open the safe and inside it was a bunch of bars of silver and gold.

He said calmly, "I have these scattered all over the area. They are my treasures that people will be searching for in a couple centuries. I know you won't tell anyone. Now, drive me to the bank. I need some money to buy a new car." The bank gave him several thousands of dollars for his silver and gold. He hooked me up with a silver bar and a gold coin for assisting him.

I remember thinking, "my God, my friendship with this guy, literally couldn't get any weirder." I was wrong.

Two weeks later, on Easter Sunday, I got the call from my roommate that he had shot his stepmom in the head with a shotgun and followed this by shooting himself in the head. The shit he used to babble about regarding his stepmom and his feelings of disdain for her leading to this is something that would take me forever to explain. To put it in short, if it were anyone who I knew he despised more than anyone else in the world, it was undoubtedly her.

This was obviously about as heinous of an act as possible, but to be perfectly honest, I was simultaneously surprised and not surprised. I was surprised, for I don't think anyone ever expects to experience something like this in their lifetime. Yet, at the same time, it didn't surprise me that he did this, for I thought he was fully capable of it....that's why I was so freaking intimidated by him.

During the investigation, it was discovered that he carried a handgun in his backpack with him everywhere he went. This was extremely eye-opening to my roommates and I, for we rarely ever saw him without his backpack. And he was at our house every day, for multiple-hour increments. He even ran with his backpack. It made me wonder how close he ever came to using it on someone. It also made me relieved that I made the decision to somewhat "cater" to the guy and made it a point to not piss him off.

It was this situation that showed me how much a person can change when they develop a serious mental illness. This guy went from one of the most popular kids in our college to a murderer and it was all a result of the symptoms of schizophrenia he experienced combined with the substance abuse he engaged in which increased the frequency and severity of his symptoms.

For those who are still reading, here are a couple links to the story:

http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?s=6348756

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/6960812.html

rico
04-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Oh, and outside of work, I had another encounter with another crazy who became a murderer who committed suicide.

I've had 2 speeding tickets in my life. One of them was a month after I turned 16 years old. I was clocked at 101 miles per hour in a 55 zone. My license was suspended for 140 days. This was a very long 140 days because I grew up in the country, on a horse farm, 7 miles outside of a town that has 1200 people in it. So I experienced social freedom for the first time in my life for a month and I screwed it up.

The other time was for going 31 in a 25 in a rival town to my hometown. I was passing through on my way home from college. The guy who gave me the ticket was a total douche-canoe. I mean, just blatantly rude and sarcastic, had a smartass, smirk on his face, etc. It just seemed that he was going out of his way to be a prick. Something seemed very "off" about him, and it seemed like it was something more than him simply being disrespectful to me because I was from a rival school.

After he wrote me the ticket and I was allowed to leave, the thought, "go kill yourself, asshole" probably crossed my mind (although I wouldn't have meant it literally in my thinking...it would have just been my way of thinking to myself, "go **** yourself, asshole). Ironically though, about 6 months later, he did.

This dude got in an argument with his girlfriend/baby-momma, shot her, shot their son, shot their dog, called his best friend who happened to be the police dispatcher at the time, reported what he did and what he was going to do, which was commit suicide, which he did.

Crazy.

And this douchebag was buried in an obscure cemetery in the middle of nowhere, where all my relatives on my father's side are buried. In fact, it's probably where I will end up, for I think my grandfather reserved 10 plots in addition to his own presumably to keep the family together after we have passed away. Every Memorial Day when I visit my grandfather's grave, I check out this guy's gravestone out of sheer curiosity because every time I've ever seen it, there has been something either written on his gravestone or placed on top of his gravestone to indicate that he is still hated by a few people out there. For example, every year there are always empty shotgun shells identical to the ones he used in the shooting, placed on his grave. I've also seen a Satan figurine, a laminated sign with the words, "burns in hell" and an arrow pointing towards the ground, a hot wheels cop car with the words, "murderer pig" written on it, etc. A couple years ago, there was a little note written and placed in some flowers that read, "I ****ed your baby-mama." Although it didn't say, "your baby-mama," it actually said the girl's name. This was written, presumably because it was rumored that he did what he did because his gf/baby-mama had been messing around on him with a couple guys and it made him "snap."

Some of the shit you'll come across at cemeteries is interesting. There is another girl buried at that cemetery who died by accidentally driving her car over a ravine and into the Mississippi some 15 years ago. There was a passenger, a very popular girl, in the car with her. Last year, someone placed a hot wheel of similar color to the car she drove, taped it to what appeared to be a toy that had a river on it...looked like something that would be used while playing with Army hero toys. This was placed on top of her gravestone. Makes me wonder if it is someone trying to stir the pot, someone being a jackass or if someone is genuinely holding a grudge against her for being the driver in that accident and blames her for the other girl being killed...?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I worked in the mental health field for 5 years prior to making the decision to go back to school to pursue my Psychiatric RN Practitioner license, for I discovered that I had to expand my options somehow if I ever have any intentions of fully paying off my student loans, which wasn't going to happen with only a BA in Psychology at a private school. In those 5 years, I worked as a Service Coordinator/Internal Business Auditor/Intensive Psychiatric Rehabilitation practitioner. Had many brushes with madness while working there, especially in the Service Coordinator role. I won't get into those. l (http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/6960812.html)

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. That was, literally, the most terrifying thing I've ever read.

Cheater5
04-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Damn, here goes....
My dads friend killed his wife. He borrowed my dads van to get rid of the body. It was never found. No charges were ever filed.
I know the mans name, and what city he lives in. Her body was thrown in the Mighty Mississip.
Dad swears that he found out he used the van for that.......because her ghost was in his kitchen when the guy was getting rid of the body. Said he confronted him about it and he confessed it to him.

That's pretty creepy, dude. :(

rico
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Jesus. ****ing. Christ. That was, literally, the most terrifying thing I've ever read.

Is that response in regards to the first paragraph that was quoted, like in a sarcastic way? Or was it directed to the story that followed regarding my friend?

I've read enough of your posts on here and I'm assuming your response was serious and directed towards the story about my friend. And with that said, it was terrifying. I was scared shitless of the guy...and your toughest of "tough-guys" or people who just don't seem to have to "cooth" to interact socially respectable and appropriately with the average person in every day social situations, were not "tough-guys" or lacking cooth (sp?) when in the presence of this guy in his final two years of life. And he wasn't a physically imposing figure. In fact, he was pretty small. What made this guy so scary was the vibe that he gave off that he wasn't full of shit when he made threats or said he was going to do something. I think most people knew that if he were to say, "I'm going to kill that guy," it didn't mean, "boy, I'm pissed at that guy," but it literally meant that he wanted to kill the person. People generally caught on to the legitimacy of his threats/proposals.

Obviously, I think that's why a lot of people began avoiding him. Nobody wants to be around someone who they think is capable of snapping and hurting or even killing them. It was such a difficult situation for me. For one, I don't like giving up on people...if I become friends with someone, I try to be as loyal and as devoted as possible. Secondly, I felt a bit pressured to be his friend by my best friend (who would consider this guy to be his best friend for they grew up together). He knew, probably to a greater extent than me what was going on with him and it bugged him that he wasn't able to be there for him. Hell, now that I think about it...maybe he caught on to it more quickly than everyone else, which may have been a factor that influenced him to move to Colorado...because he knew how terrifying things could ultimately end up being for him if he stayed around. I'll have to ask him about that in Vegas next month....that conversation may not go well.

It was a total "between a rock and a hard place" situation for me...especially when it got to the point where this guy and I were actually friends opposed to simply sharing a mutual friend. With me being one of the two people in the area to willingly affiliate themselves with him, he became that much more dependent on us.

And he had his redeeming qualities. He was extremely stubborn, which was frustrating in many situations, but added value to his friendship, for he was stubbornly loyal and would do ANYTHING to help you if you needed it, even if it may have potentially severely inconvenienced him.. You could seriously count on him to be there for you through any difficult situation and could trust him in terms of not making moves on a girl you were seeing, sticking up for you if someone is speaking negatively about you behind your back (and inadvertently scaring them in the process), etc. Those characteristics of unconditional loyalty and accountability with his friends seemed to be part of his personal "code," something he followed until he ceased to maintain his own existence.

And as I mentioned in the story, his father owned the suit store in the community and he always wore apparel from the store...even prior to developing Schizophrenia. The girls were crazy about him when he was a Freshman and Sophomore because he was real cool and always dressed real nice. He would wear a nice suit just to go to class. He would RUN 10 miles in dress clothes. However, in the last 2 years, he changed his selection to the trench-coat looking apparel from his father's store (topped off with a brown Sublime cap that didn't match the black trench coats he would generally wear). What in the hell is up with crazy, homicidal people developing an affinity for trench-coats?

When I google links to the story, I always see his mugshot that they used in the newspaper when this all went down (that was presumably taken when he wrecked his car), which provokes an array of feelings for me. He appeared angry as hell in that picture and appeared that way a lot those last two years, which sucked because he used to be notorious for how frequently he smiled and how happy and cool he was. The last two years, if he was smiling, it was usually an indicator that he was manic and was laughing about something connected to his inner delusions. So that smile went from being one of the positive things that defined him to something indicative of his inner demons. Sad.

One thing that I haven't been able to shake since this happened was how I (and others) felt after it happened. I am going to feel awful admitting this and to be honest, I don't know if I have ever admitted to anyone with an exception of my roommates/close friends on drunken nights who secretly felt the same way. But when he was gone, I was sad. We all were sad. It was a horrific situation. But along with the sadness, there was a simultaneous, conflicting, deep-seeded feeling of...UGH.....relief....? And I hate putting it that way and maybe there's a better way of putting it because it's not like he did it and I was like, "oh, I'm so relieved that he's finally gone." I was genuinely heartbroken about it. However, I was sick as hell of being scared every day when he was around, which was all the time. I mean, the dude almost freaking killed me in that car crash. And I was scared of him or at least of what I thought he was potentially capable of for a year a half before the crash even took place.

Put it this way, before it happened, I was a month or two from graduating college and moving back home. I think I was more excited about moving home to be away from him than I was anything else that people are normally excited about such as; attaining my degree, entering the "real world," etc. Deep down, being his friend was exhausting due to the excessive negative baggage that came along with it. I didn't want him to do what he did (ESPECIALLY to his stepmom). I didn't want him to die or commit suicide, but I was surely counting the days to when I didn't have to deal with him anymore. I really wish that he would have graduated with me and that he was still alive today and that I could still maintain friendship with him, but only really have to deal with him whenever I came back up for a visit. I have no idea what he'd be doing or where he'd be now if that were the case, but it's such a shame that he had to take another life along with his own.

To this day, I have never met anyone tougher than this guy....this guy had a physical pain tolerance that exceeding what I even thought was possible. I just wish the internal pain tolerance matched that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-16-2013, 08:47 PM
It was a completely legitimate response. I just didn't want to quote the entirety of such a long post.

rico
04-16-2013, 08:53 PM
It was a completely legitimate response. I just didn't want to quote the entirety of such a long post.

Yeah, I figured so. It's all good, mang!

Jewish Rabbi
04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I figured so. It's all good, mang!

Have you posted that story on here before? I got some serious deja vu reading that.

Fucked up.

Lex Luthor
04-16-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised none of the older CP generation has chimed in with the dude from KC who was like Dahmer. If you went to the Westport Flea Market in the 80's you probably crossed paths right?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=9590589&postcount=37

MeatRock
04-16-2013, 09:42 PM
I worked in the mental health field for 5 years prior to making the decision to go back to school to pursue my Psychiatric RN Practitioner license, for I discovered that I had to expand my options somehow if I ever have any intentions of fully paying off my student loans, which wasn't going to happen with only a BA in Psychology at a private school. In those 5 years, I worked as a Service Coordinator/Internal Business Auditor/Intensive Psychiatric Rehabilitation practitioner. Had many brushes with madness while working there, especially in the Service Coordinator role. I won't get into those.

To the tl;dr police, this is a warning in advance. This is probably going to be too long, so don't read. I would also like to stress how incredibly sorry I am for it being so tl;dr. :)

I had numerous brushes with madness with a particular friend of mine in college. I wrestled at a D3 college. There was a guy on my team who was very hard-working, popular, nice, happy, intelligent, etc. He came from a respected family. His father owned the suit store in the city in which the college was located. I became good friends with him because the person on our team that I became best friends with (and still am) was this guy's best friend growing up. So he and I became pretty tight through our mutual friendship with my current and now longtime best friend.

Anyways.

Our mutual friend transferred to the University of Colorado prior to the beginning of our Junior years. Around the second semester of our Sophomore year, the guy in which my brush(es) with madness are in reference to started becoming very eccentric. He began speaking about how he wanted to become president of the United States, various political oddities, etc. He also raised his drug use to another level prior from what it was, in which it was already rather excessive. He maintained his toughness though. This guy, in preseason workouts, although not a good wrestler, would finish first in EVERY drill and would just totally dominate in long distance running. This, along with many other things made him come off to me as if he were indestructible.

By about 2nd semester of our Junior year, he became diagnosed with Schizophrenia. By this time, all of his MANY friends with an exception of myself and another person had abandoned him as a friend because everyone was becoming weirded/creeped out by him. Therefore, he was at my house all the time and was at my house the day that he was picked up and taken to the Psych ward and initially given his diagnosis of Schizophrenia. To be completely honest, I cringed whenever he arrived at our place because he really was starting to creep me out as well. However, I remained a loyal friend to him with hopes that maybe in a prolonged period of time, I could help him (although I knew the chances of that happening were low due to how stubborn he was). Not to mention, my best friend who was in Colorado was constantly worried about him and always implied that he wanted me to be supportive of the guy.

When we were Seniors, he joined the cross country team in addition to the wrestling team. He was a football stud in high school and had never run cross country before. He quickly became the team's top runner and once he proved to everyone on the team and presumably himself that he could beat anyone on the team in a long distance race, he quit, but continued to run. He would run 10-15 miles a day and picked up smoking in the process. He would smoke (no exaggeration) 4-5 packs of Marlboro reds per day. He would smoke while running. He would light up cigarettes between every mile. His logic was that he wanted to "prove that he was tougher than cigarettes and any physical ailment that can result from them, including cancer."

A couple weeks before Easter our Senior year, he woke me up at 6:30 A.M. by hitting me in the face with a wine bottle and blowing smoke in my face. Now, if any other friend of mine or anyone else in general would have done this to me, I would have become pissed off and may have instantly resorted to shoving/punching, but this is one of very few people who I have encountered in my life who I was intimidated by, for deep down, I thought he was capable of pulling off some serious shit if provoked.

So I asked him what I wanted and he insisted that I top off the wine he had along with an 18 pack of Budweiser that he brought with him. I was already hungover from the night before and hadn't gotten to sleep until 4 A.M., but agreed to drink with him. After finishing this off, he insisted that we go to a couple bars. We drank at the bars until roughly 6 PM.

We were both annihilated as hell and contacted one of our friends who resided on the outskirts of town. On a windy side-road, to be more specific. This was the one friend who I mentioned above, who was the only one along with myself to remain friends with him. He had been friends with this guy since they were in JH.

With very, very poor judgment on my part, I hopped in his car, knowing full-well that the guy was intoxicated and we drove to our friend's place. I knew it was a bad idea, yet at the same time, if I were to tell the guy that I didn't want to ride with him, he would surely perceive it as a sign of disrespect...something he did not respond well to.

When we got on the curvy, windy road that our friend lived on, this guy was driving anywhere between 85-105 miles per hour. I was so scared that I literally felt like I could piss my pants. On both sides of the road, there were steep ditches, one which led to a bluff.

I had my hand on the "oh shit" handle and saw a curve about 50 yards in front of us that was close to being a 90 degree angle. I looked at him, who was looking straight ahead with a glazed, lifeless expression on his face, then back at the road, then back at him and before I knew it, we had approached this curve and I shit you not, he didn't even make an attempt to successfully make the turn with his car...he just drove straight ahead and in his little Hyundai car, we drove straight into a bluff at approximately 95 miles per hour. In retrospect, I honestly thought he was trying to kill himself at that moment and was willing to take me with him.

The front of his car crumpled like a pop can. While this happened, everything seemed to be going in slow motion. In the little time I had to think, I thought I was either a dead man, or was going to be severely injured. Miraculously though, I ended up with only a bump on my elbow from my elbow hitting the passenger side window. My friend didn't end up with a bump or scratch.

We both crawled out through a broken window and had to literally pull ourselves out of the car and climb the ditch to get to the road. By the time we pulled ourselves back on the road, there was an elderly couple who had run about 200 yards to get to us and were panicked and out of breath due to running. The first words out of the guy's mouth was, "oh my God, we heard that crash all the way from inside our house with the television on, how many people are dead?!?! How many people are hurt?! How many people are still in the vehicle?!?!" My friend still seemed glazed and lifeless as he had prior to driving the car into the bluff and didn't respond. I responded to them by saying, "it was just us two, and we are ok." The old guy then said, "you have got to be kidding me, we thought for sure someone had to have died from that. We saw how fast you were going when you drove by. We called the police to have them help you out, hopefully they can help you get your car pulled out."

After hearing this, my friend's demeanor went from "glazed and lifeless" to completely infuriated. He ran up to this old guy, shoved him and shouted, "call them back now!!! Tell them that it was nothing! Tell them we are ok!!!" The old guy said something along the lines of, "son, I really think the police can help you out. And it's too late, I already called them. I was trying to help you boys." My friend grabbed this old man by the shirt and got his face within a couple inches of the old man's face and said, "call the police and tell them not to come, right now, or I will ****ing kill you."

It was just a few seconds after my friend began threatening this old man that 3-4 cops pulled up. When they saw the car, their first question was, "oh my God, how many do you think are dead or injured?" We informed them that we were the only people in the vehicle and they were shocked.

They gave my friend a breathalyzer and he blew something like a .31. They cuffed him up and sent him to jail. They questioned me a bit. They were very curious to know if I knew anything about the Xanax, Adderall and half ounce of dank that they found in his glove box, in which I denied having any knowledge. They asked me if I had a ride, which I didn't, so they drove me to my house.

I woke up at 10 A.M. to a call from my friend who said he had been running laps in the drunk tank (community jail cell for people recently arrested) until he blew zeros and that he just blew zeros and needed me to pick him up. I agreed.

When I picked him up, he was irate as hell with me. Initially he was pissed off that I didn't "break him out of jail." I responded in a manner that I became accustomed to with the thousands of conversations I had with him prior to that in which he was being out of line. My tactic was to tell him why I didn't do what he wanted me to do, while giving him a compliment simultaneously. I said, "well man, I didn't figure you wanted me to because you are tougher than jail and would be able to blow zeros whenever you felt like it." He shook his head as if he understood and respected my response.

Then he started tripping on me about the crash itself. He started screaming at me, asking, "why the **** didn't you get us out of that shit?!!?!?!" I had no idea what he meant and asked, "what do you mean?" He yelled back, "you know exactly what I mean!! Why didn't you lift my car out of the ditch and throw it back on the road so we could have sped off before the cops got there!!!!" I was like, "duuuude.....your car is totaled. You can't even drive it anymore, it's so bad." He yelled, "stop making ****ing excuses!!! You could have uncrumpled it and put it back together...and we would have drove off and I wouldn't be in this mess right now!!!! It's all your fault!!!" He was dead serious. And I was pretty strong back then...had to cut weight to wrestle 197 pounds that year and was in the weight-room a lot, and this guy evidently classified me as his "strong" friend. I replied, "dude, who the hell do you think I am? The Incredible Hulk?!? I am not strong enough to do that!?!?!" He interrupted, "BULLSHIT!!! You are the strong one of our crew!! You could have done it!!! It's all your fault!!! I replied back to him, in probably the most confrontational fashion that I ever had with him and said, "what the **** is wrong with you!?!? I am not THAT strong and even if I were, we wouldn't have gone anywhere because your car parts are destroyed and I know NOTHING about cars!! And what 'CREW' are you talking about?!!?!? We aren't the ****ing X-Men. And if we are in some sort of super-human 'crew,' what's your role?!?! The guy who drives cars into bluffs at almost 100 MPH?!?! It's NOT my fault this happened. It's yours, for driving when you shouldn't have and for pussing out instead of attempting to make that turn!!!"

I had no idea what his response to this would be, for I had never argued with him and the only person I had ever seen who wasn't too scared too argue with him (over a song being played at a party) had been punched in the face and had his life threatened by him for a week following the dispute.

He was silent for a bit and after a minute or two, responded with, "your a good friend, Swaff. Can you please drive me to my Dad's house?" I agreed and drove him to his Dad's place, which was a cabin on the Mississippi River in East Dubuque, Illinois. When we got there, he asked me to follow him to the sandbar in front of his cabin and gave me a shovel and told me to start digging in the spot he was going to dig at. I was confused as hell, but was used to being confused in my interactions with him and I helped him dig, wondering what in the hell he had buried on his sandbar. We dug through about 4 feet in the sand and he finally dragged out a safe. He had a key on his chain to open the safe and inside it was a bunch of bars of silver and gold.

He said calmly, "I have these scattered all over the area. They are my treasures that people will be searching for in a couple centuries. I know you won't tell anyone. Now, drive me to the bank. I need some money to buy a new car." The bank gave him several thousands of dollars for his silver and gold. He hooked me up with a silver bar and a gold coin for assisting him.

I remember thinking, "my God, my friendship with this guy, literally couldn't get any weirder." I was wrong.

Two weeks later, on Easter Sunday, I got the call from my roommate that he had shot his stepmom in the head with a shotgun and followed this by shooting himself in the head. The shit he used to babble about regarding his stepmom and his feelings of disdain for her leading to this is something that would take me forever to explain. To put it in short, if it were anyone who I knew he despised more than anyone else in the world, it was undoubtedly her.

This was obviously about as heinous of an act as possible, but to be perfectly honest, I was simultaneously surprised and not surprised. I was surprised, for I don't think anyone ever expects to experience something like this in their lifetime. Yet, at the same time, it didn't surprise me that he did this, for I thought he was fully capable of it....that's why I was so freaking intimidated by him.

During the investigation, it was discovered that he carried a handgun in his backpack with him everywhere he went. This was extremely eye-opening to my roommates and I, for we rarely ever saw him without his backpack. And he was at our house every day, for multiple-hour increments. He even ran with his backpack. It made me wonder how close he ever came to using it on someone. It also made me relieved that I made the decision to somewhat "cater" to the guy and made it a point to not piss him off.

It was this situation that showed me how much a person can change when they develop a serious mental illness. This guy went from one of the most popular kids in our college to a murderer and it was all a result of the symptoms of schizophrenia he experienced combined with the substance abuse he engaged in which increased the frequency and severity of his symptoms.

For those who are still reading, here are a couple links to the story:

http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?s=6348756

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/6960812.html

Did Not Read. Wall O' Text.

patteeu
04-16-2013, 09:46 PM

It's a pretty interesting story.

Dr. Gigglepants
04-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Ha, yep. I read the first 10%, then the last 30%. It was good enough I went back and read what I skipped. :clap:

MeatRock
04-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Dammit. You talked me into it. :harumph:

rico
04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Have you posted that story on here before? I got some serious deja vu reading that.

****ed up.

Yeah, it was around the time that Brianfo suicide thread was taking place. A little over a year ago. Noone responded to it, presumably due to tl;dr reasons so I'm surprised that someone (you) caught deja vu from it.

Speaking of Brianfo, I wish he'd post more...he wrote an awesome post in the "Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling" thread. I have no idea what his football knowledge/ideology is, but if it's anything compared to his wrestling thoughts, then he would be a pretty cool poster to follow on here.

rico
04-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Lol, I pre-apologized to the tl;dr crowd in the second paragraph, homeslice.

MeatRock
04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Lol, I pre-apologized to the tl;dr crowd in the second paragraph, homeslice.

Shit man, that's a terrifying story. Do you have uneasy thoughts or recollection's about any of those events? Like think back to the crash and shudder at the thought of it?

I know i would.

Jewish Rabbi
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah, it was around the time that Brianfo suicide thread was taking place. A little over a year ago. Noone responded to it, presumably due to tl;dr reasons so I'm surprised that someone (you) caught deja vu from it.

Speaking of Brianfo, I wish he'd post more...he wrote an awesome post in the "Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling" thread. I have no idea what his football knowledge/ideology is, but if it's anything compared to his wrestling thoughts, then he would be a pretty cool poster to follow on here.

It seemed familiar, although I didn't remember all the details. Such as you being in a car that slammed into a wall, and that crazy motherfucker burying gold everywhere.

rico
04-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Shit man, that's a terrifying story. Do you have uneasy thoughts or recollection's about any of those events? Like think back to the crash and shudder at the thought of it?

I know i would.

To date, I have had only 1 nightmare (that I can recollect) pertaining to him since it happened. So it could be worse.

Basically in the nightmare, it was set at the time where his insanity reached it's peak, which was following the crash and leading until the day he committed the murder-suicide. After the crash, he lost his license, so I would give him rides places if he wasn't in the mood to run. The nightmare basically took me back to those rides and the conversations we had while I was hauling him around to various destinations, but it was with the knowledge of what he had done and the fact that he was always carrying around a handgun in his backpack in the back of my mind opposed to when the events actually took place and I had no knowledge of him carrying the handgun or what he was going to do in the future. What made this a nightmare was that in our conversations in the car, everything I said would be misinterpreted or not tolerated well by him and he would threaten me or just be generally more volatile. Therefore, in the nightmare, I kept worrying that he was going to whip out his handgun and shoot me...and in the dream, it seemed like pissing him off was unavoidable. Can't remember if he actually got the handgun out or not. I don't have nightmares often, but when I do, I usually wake up when I become remotely afraid, which I'm guessing I woke up before he whipped out the handgun.

In reality, during these rides he was very uneasy and very symptomatic, but I was somehow able to give the correct responses to him without him becoming agitated. Basically, if he said something that reflected total delusional thinking, I would just kind of bob my head and wouldn't give my opinion regarding whatever he was talking about unless he specifically asked for it, and one recurring thing with him was that if he actually asked for your honest opinion and you gave it to him, he would accept it more willingly than if you were to disagree with him or rebut his point in casual conversation without his inquiry.

Overall, he treated me pretty well and I think he genuinely respected me, which sounds odd, considering I am suspicious that he was trying to commit suicide with me in the vehicle when he crashed the car...he didn't even ATTEMPT to make that turn...shifted my eyes from his face to the road the entire time.

He only verbally wigged out on me twice. Once was when he was pissed off at me for not breaking him out of jail, followed by chewing my ass for not lifting his car out of the ditch, placing it on the road and uncrumpling it so we could drive off. The other time was when my best friend (and his too) visited for Christmas break. Whenever my best friend and I would speak to each other, he kept suspecting us of "plotting" something against us...it got to the point where I couldn't say anything without him interrupting me by saying, "**** you!!!"

On another note, I wasn't the only one who had an experience with him digging something out of his sandbar. Our friend (the other one besides me who maintained friendship with the guy, who also happened to be my roommate at the time) told me that right around the time he first started experiencing symptoms, he had this girl who he was bangin' at the time over at his dad's cabin and they were boating and what not all night. Evidently, this girl's ex-boyfriend caught wind of where she was at and what she was doing and he and a group of his friends drove to the sandbar (his house) and were in he and our friends' faces, threatening to beat the shit out of both of them. According to my friend, while these guys were threatening them, the guy calmly walked to a specific location at the sandbar and started digging through the sand like a dog and dug up a shotgun case with a loaded shotgun in it and ran to the primary instigator's face and calmly told them that he was going to shoot all of them if they didn't leave. To be honest, whether this happened or not is debatable, for I had caught the friend who told me about it lying and/or telling tall-tales to me a few times before, but if it DID take place, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

As mentioned above, if I ever rebutted anything he said, it was usually always if he personally asked me for my insight. With that said, one of my biggest, biggest, biggest regrets was introducing him to the concept of solipsism, which is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. One time he was ranting in the car about how he was beginning to think that the whole world was designed specifically to "test" him. He asked me if I agreed and I said, "I'm sorry bud, but I don't agree. I think that sounds a bit solipsistic." He looked at me with a confused expression and asked me what I meant and what solipsism was and I explained to him as best as I could, my understanding of that concept.

One thing to note about this guy is that prior to becoming mentally ill and even during his bouts with mental illness, he was extremely intelligent. A philosophical genius. So introducing him to concepts such as these was absolutely an unwise thing to do when he was sick. I remember him fixating on solipsism for months and would repeatedly interrogate me with questions like, "am I a product of solipsism?", "if I were a product of solipsism, you'd tell me, right?," etc. Then he would make comments that would creep me out, like, "of course you wouldn't tell me if I were a product of solipsism because if I were, you would be one of the ones testing me." Then he would stare me down coldly and ask, "you aren't testing me, are you?" And I would spend 5 minutes or so trying to convince him that I wasn't and would frantically try to derail the conversation....in which I learned that the best way to derail him when he was fixated on something was by asking him if we should by more beer or whatever, which the answer was always, "yes." And then it was like he went from being fixated on solipsism to being on a mission to score booze or whatever. It was stupid, stupid, stupid of me to bring that up to a person who was inclined to a combination of extreme philosophical thinking and intelligence AND experiencing consistent, chronic and severe mental health symptoms.

A lot of eerie shit with him, for sure.

rico
04-16-2013, 11:22 PM
It seemed familiar, although I didn't remember all the details. Such as you being in a car that slammed into a wall, and that crazy mother****er burying gold everywhere.

Yup, he claimed that one day his gold would be the most sought after treasure(s) in the world.

mikey23545
04-17-2013, 12:54 AM
I just looked her up on Youtube guess she got the death penalty. Was she that ****ing weird in person?

Well, you have to remember I only spoke to her a few moments that night she tried to bum money off me.

She seemed pretty normal, just a little wasted, but nothing that would have struck you as dangerous.

InChiefsHeaven
04-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Yup, he claimed that one day his gold would be the most sought after treasure(s) in the world.

I have to ask...what happened to the gold? Or did I miss that in the story...it was rather long...:D

rico
04-17-2013, 06:58 AM
I have to ask...what happened to the gold? Or did I miss that in the story...it was rather long...:D

Haha, he had numerous sites where he had buried and hidden safes filled with silver and gold bars and coins.

InChiefsHeaven
04-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Haha, he had numerous sites where he had buried and hidden safes filled with silver and gold bars and coins.

Shit, I'd be going all National Treasure on it...you have earned it after all of that...

tiptap
04-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Linda Thompson was hired as the bacteriologist in the OKC/city county Health Dept. I taught her some of the procedures she was hired to perform relating to a Dairy contract and the STD screening tests for the clinics. I would see her almost daily. After a year she got a divorce from her husband and was on her own with two little girls. She and her two girls were kidnapped in the parking lot of Penn SQ. Mall. The two men raped and killed Linda at one of the man-made lake sites. The two little girls were released to walk down a street on their own 5 and 3, because the men's regular girl friends talked them into letting them go. One of the men got the electric chair.

Radar Chief
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM

Tl;dr'ed it, but copied and pasted to a word document for later reading. ;)

Lex Luthor
04-17-2013, 05:01 PM

Do you know what a wall of text is? That wasn't a wall of text. It had paragraphs separated by blank lines.

Just because a post is long doesn't make it a wall of text.

InChiefsHeaven
04-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Do you know what a wall of text is? That wasn't a wall of text. It had paragraphs separated by blank lines.

Just because a post is long doesn't make it a wall of text.

Not to mention, the dude actually wrote it all out...not a cut and paste. It's worth the time to read.

Marcellus
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Threads like this and stories like Rico's are what make this place one of the most interesting sites on the internet.

JFC. Wow.

notorious
04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
We are all fans of the Chiefs.

How is that for madness?

Marcellus
04-17-2013, 07:14 PM
We are all fans of the Chiefs.

How is that for madness?

That's a daily life long issue. Not a brush with madness.

notorious
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
That's a daily life long issue. Not a brush with madness.

Touche.

Is "Stupidity" a better word to describe our condition?

KCUnited
02-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Chuck E. Cheese shits behind a backdrop of rhythmic slapping.

Simply Red
02-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Frontenac Ks. The whole town.

ChiliConCarnage
02-09-2015, 07:56 AM
good thread bump was good

Simply Red
02-09-2015, 07:57 AM
good thread bump was good

thanks bud.

Buehler445
02-09-2015, 08:07 AM
There was a murder at a Dillons in Garden City awhile back. Wife and I were at that location not 2 hours before the murder.

Best I got. I spend most of my time with my head buried in the dust.

Simply Red
02-09-2015, 08:10 AM
There was a murder at a Dillons in Garden City awhile back. Wife and I were at that location not 2 hours before the murder.

Best I got. I spend most of my time with my head buried in the dust.

Like the grocery store you mean? Probably over a woman. Did you try googling it?

Buehler445
02-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Like the grocery store you mean? Probably over a woman. Did you try googling it?

Eh, I think stupid just overflowed everywhere.

GARDEN CITY, Kansas – The Garden City Police Department have identified the victim who died after being shot in the Dillons East parking lot.

The GCPD posted on their Facebook page that they found 32-year-old Jeremy Pascascio, of Garden City, with gunshot wounds to his upper body on Saturday around 5:10 p.m. The victim was transported to the hospital where pronounced dead.

Police report that they received information that the suspect had fled to a nearby YMCA. Officers were able to locate and arrest 21-year-old Loren Wiseman, of Wichita.

Wiseman was booked on charges of first-degree murder.

The Garden City Police Department’s initial investigation determined that Wiseman and an adult woman were in a car that drove to the Dillons. It is alleged that Pascascio approached the car and had a verbal confrontation with the two. At some point during the conversation, Wiseman shot Pascascio.

GCPD are asking that if anyone has information on the case to please contact them at 620-267-1300.

http://ksn.com/2014/12/06/garden-city-man-fatally-shot-in-dillons-parking-lot/

Simply Red
02-09-2015, 08:19 AM
I haven't been to Dillon's in ages - but hammered them around Carthage, growing up.

My Grandmother (very spiritual, old school, never lied about anything) was at Bob's IGA in Carthage (caddy cornered from the city pool and back north a few blocks) in the early eighties and swears to have seen a huge glowing rectangle floating/moving in the sky slowly over Carthage. It was in the papers - some of you may remember hearing of this - It actually DID happen. Grandma Lee saw it too! I bet it's on the internet.

More odd than evil maybe - but..

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2015, 08:35 AM
I want to know if rico ever went back for the gold.

Coochie liquor
02-09-2015, 08:38 AM
I went to school with a girl (Angie) the guy who would later become her husband, and a kid named Johnny who was a younger brother of a couple of our friends. We went back to STL to visit about 13-14 years ago. Our kids all played together while we were hanging out. Came back to Florida, and about 6 months got a call from my mom that someone killed one of Angie's kids. It was Johnny, who had been sleeping on their couch that night. Lured her to the old glass factory, tried to rape her, and killed her. Happened in Valley Park Mo. Cassandra (Cassie) Williams. RIP

Al Bundy
02-09-2015, 08:39 AM
One time while fishing off the piers by the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa I saw a guy jump off the skyway to his death.

SAUTO
02-09-2015, 08:42 AM
every day

Imon Yourside
02-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I know this is an old thread but i actually slept with some of my crazy ex gf's, strange to think about today. Some turned out to be..well..nuttier than i had originally thought. :D

rabblerouser
02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
My biological father threw my mom and I out of the car at age 2.5 or so... and he tried to run us over with the car... luckily, Mom threw me in a ditch and covered me up... he barely missed her... and drove off leaving us stranded.

I saw him one time after that, when I was five... another time at my grandma's funeral at age 15... and have never seen him again.

Needless to say, he's been in and out of prison. o_O

Winner

rabblerouser
02-09-2015, 07:04 PM
My old babysitter was murdered by her husband and then he killed himself.

Their kids found them when they came home from school.

But I guess that's small potatoes round these parts lol

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-09-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry but every time I see this thread title, I can think of only one thing:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U29cOBezOOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser
02-09-2015, 08:00 PM
My ex-girlfriend wound up dating one of Jeff Lundgren's sons.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Lundgren
He was a ****ed up creepy bastard.
It was this one :
On April 23, 1988 a neighbor told Kirtland police officer Ron Andolsek that she suspected that a cult was living at the farm house and that Lundgren's son warned the neighbor's children that on May 15 the earth would open up and demons would emerge.

He said he helped dig the graves.

Turns out, she's schizophrenic.

I'm glad I made it out of that one...

Pepe Silvia
02-09-2015, 08:06 PM
There was a friend of the family who was my older brothers age, really nice guy. This poor bastard used to date this raving lunatic for a couple years and he finally had the smarts to get away. However 5 years later he brought her back into his life for a short week, huge mistake, she shot him 8 times in his sleep.

rabblerouser
02-09-2015, 08:11 PM
There was a friend of the family who was my older brothers age, really nice guy. This poor bastard used to date this raving lunatic for a couple years and he finally had the smarts to get away. However 5 years later he brought her back into his life for a short week, huge mistake, she shot him 8 times in his sleep.

See??

When I found out that my ex was with an effed up Satanic mass murderers son and went total schizophrenic...well, I took it as a sign from God that we weren't meant to be together.

Exes are meant to stay exes. Forever.

rico
02-10-2015, 08:27 AM
I want to know if rico ever went back for the gold.

Nahhh, I barely make it back up to my old college town these days. I have had nightmares about this shit in the past year... Like more than usual. If I ever have a bad dream, it is usually somehow related to this shit.

Sully
02-10-2015, 08:30 AM
One time, I was going to the grocery store later at night (I mean, it was definitely past 6pm), and I noticed a liquor store and a chicken place across the street.

YOU DO THE MATH!!!!

rabblerouser
02-10-2015, 09:12 AM
One time, I was going to the grocery store later at night (I mean, it was definitely past 6pm), and I noticed a liquor store and a chicken place across the street.

YOU DO THE MATH!!!!

Math is racist.

Dartgod
02-10-2015, 09:31 AM
I lived next to James A. Love's brother for a couple of years. He also bowled in the same league that I did.

If you don't know who he is, he's the nut job who murdered a 2-year-old little boy and his 14-year-old baby sitter on New Years Eve back in 1974 in Lee's Summit. I remember it being a pretty crazy deal at the time it happened. People didn't murder other people in Lee's Summit back in the day.

His brother was an oddball too. I guess having a murderer as a brother would do that to you.

Here's a link to an article about it.

http://lstribune.net/lees-summit-news/community-remembers-crime-as-parole-hearing-nears.htm

sedated
02-10-2015, 09:32 AM
One of my best friends in high school had a younger brother who, the year after I graduated, killed his girlfriend and kept her in the trunk of his car until people started to notice the smell.

rabblerouser
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM
One of my best friends in high school had a younger brother who, the year after I graduated, killed his girlfriend and kept her in the trunk of his car until people started to notice the smell.

If this happened in Warrensburg around 2000/2001, and the car was parked in the parking lot across the street from the Break Time for a week...then me and my roommate smelled her.

Pablo
02-10-2015, 10:49 AM

YOU DO THE MATH!!!!You have to stay out of those areas altogether. Or at least protect yourself the best you can! Nobody wants to talk about the dark, scary side of suburbia, but it exists and it's coming for you!

Radar Chief
02-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Police are still searching for this guy:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2hcqq8j.jpg

In connection with the murder and arson to cover it up of this woman:

http://i45.tinypic.com/16m36lf.jpg

Story here:
http://www.koamtv.com/story/21005034/body-found-at-scene-of-a-chanute-fire

I went to high school with both his parents and I’ll just say the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree.

This guy was caught a month or so after I posted this. They found him in Pittsburg where he lead police on a high speed chase across the Missouri state line before wrecking his truck.

rabblerouser
02-10-2015, 11:32 AM
This guy was caught a month or so after I posted this. They found him in Pittsburg where he lead police on a high speed chase across the Missouri state line before wrecking his truck.

He looks like that kind of a guy.

Hootie
02-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Damn, here goes....
Apple didn't fall far from the tree ... you're a nut, man

ModSocks
02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
About 4 months ago my Wife's older half-sister was murdered by her husband and then set on fire, burning their house down.

Happened in Florida, of course.

CaliforniaChief
02-10-2015, 12:26 PM

Holy crap dude! That Aileen Wuornos was freaking crazy.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pqbgiV3x8cw/hqdefault.jpg

Radar Chief
02-10-2015, 12:34 PM
He looks like that kind of a guy.

A bit of a correction: the chase started in Leavenworth not Pittsburg, and ended when he crashed his truck outside of St. Joe, MO.
It's just too bad he didn't die a painful, fiery death in the crash like he sentenced that girl too. This world would be a better place without people like him wasting its oxygen.

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2015, 12:36 PM
About 4 months ago my Wife's older half-sister was murdered by her husband and then set on fire, burning their house down.

Happened in Florida, of course.

Good grief, that's awful.

ModSocks
02-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Good grief, that's awful.

They had 3 small kids, to make matters worse. It occurred while they were in school. The husband was a domestic abuser and she was making plans to leave him and move down here to San Diego to be with her dad. The family had already set aside funds to get her and her daughters to San Diego with us.

Those funds ended up being used on her funeral.

http://www.wesh.com/news/deputies-husband-accused-of-strangling-wife-in-sorrento/27679754

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2015, 12:51 PM
They had 3 small kids, to make matters worse. It occurred while they were in school. The husband was a domestic abuser and she was making plans to leave him and move down here to San Diego to be with her dad. The family had already set aside funds to get her and her daughters to San Diego with us.

Those funds ended up being used on her funeral.

http://www.wesh.com/news/deputies-husband-accused-of-strangling-wife-in-sorrento/27679754

Those poor kids

DJ's left nut
10-11-2016, 10:19 AM

Found this thread off the other weird Westport flea market murderer thread.

In either event, we were in Georgia for the SEC championship game a few years ago and some guy comes wandering by and yells Go Auburn! So naturally we flip him some shit, he says he's just joking and that he's from Columbia.

He sits down with us and after a few minutes asks what we do. I mention I'm an attorney and he starts grilling me on Kevin Crane; former prosecutor now Boone County Judge. I have a little history with him and my stepdad actually grew up with him...I am not a fan. I say as much and he starts to scold me "because you know he's a judge now and can really create problems for you when I tell him you don't like him; he's a family friend".....WTF? Then he backtracks and casually mentions that he just got out of jail. I'm sure you can guess where this is going but it takes a damn odd route to get there. He insists he was wrongfully convicted of a drug charge.

My buddy insists he's Ryan Ferguson but I wasn't living in CoMO at the time so I had no idea and he asks the guy point blank if he is. He say he isn't and we start talking about the Heitholt murder. Oddly enough, I have no real opinion (never learned much about it). After another 20 minutes or so he just puts his hand across the table and says "I'm Ryan Ferguson, nice to meet you..." He then goes over the whole 'wrongful conviction' and subsequent overturning of his murder rap.

He's just an odd fucking duck and pretty much a douche. He pretty much spent an hour sitting with us and lying at every opportunity he had; even creating opportunities to lie where he needed them. Oh....and after further review, I'm pretty sure he killed that guy.

listopencil
10-11-2016, 02:04 PM
A friend of mine was briefly incarcerated with Charles Manson. He said that when Manson would walk the yard they would have 'bodyguards' walk with him. Not to protect Manson. The other inmates were scared shitless of him. When my friend heard that he laughed and made a point of going over to him, with plans of saying something stupid like, "Hey, Charlie, what's up?" He said he walked over to Manson and made eye contact. At that point he felt like his guts turned to icewater and he was overcome with an urgent desire to shit himself. He just walked away quickly and took some time to compose himself. Never tried it again.

ThaVirus
10-11-2016, 02:30 PM
A friend of mine was briefly incarcerated with Charles Manson. He said that when Manson would walk the yard they would have 'bodyguards' walk with him. Not to protect Manson. The other inmates were scared shitless of him. When my friend heard that he laughed and made a point of going over to him, with plans of saying something stupid like, "Hey, Charlie, what's up?" He said he walked over to Manson and made eye contact. At that point he felt like his guts turned to icewater and he was overcome with an urgent desire to shit himself. He just walked away quickly and took some time to compose himself. Never tried it again.

Interesting.

That was way before my time but I've seen pics of the guy before. He looks batshit crazy at times but not what I'd call intimidating.

listopencil
10-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Interesting.

That was way before my time but I've seen pics of the guy before. He looks batshit crazy at times but not what I'd call intimidating.

Same here. My friend thought so too until he actually met the guy.

Titty Meat
10-11-2016, 02:44 PM

I remember hearing about that. SM North right? They had some crazy shit there through the years.

MTG#10
10-11-2016, 03:12 PM
I worked with a guy named "Paul Beach" for a few years. Saw him every morning, just me and him alone for an hour or so. Would bullshit with each other all the time, really nice guy.

One day he no called/no showed so he was fired. Several years later I found out that his name was actually Max and the real Paul Beach was his uncle that he murdered and stole his identity.

ChiTown
10-11-2016, 03:22 PM
This happened essentially right across the street from my neighborhood and I drove right by their house just after they broke in. Still gives me the creeps.......

http://www.wichita-massacre.com/

KChiefs1
10-11-2016, 03:32 PM
This happened essentially right across the street from my neighborhood and I drove right by their house just after they broke in. Still gives me the creeps.......

http://www.wichita-massacre.com/

Brad Heyka, 27 was a friend & coworker at Koch & I had actually been to that house & he had invited me over that fateful night to hangout. Glad I had a date that night & couldn't make even though things might have turned out differently as I had a gun I carried with me regularly so the Carrs might have walked in & got shot very promptly.

I've often wondered what would have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut
10-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Brad Heyka, 27 was a friend & coworker at Koch & I had actually been to that house & he had invited me over that fateful night to hangout. Glad I had a date that night & couldn't make even though things might have turned out differently as I had a gun I carried with me regularly so the Carrs might have walked in & got shot very promptly.

I've often wondered what would have happened.

No shit?

Did you deal with any sort of 'survivors guilt' afterwards? I know people that miss a plane crash or even car ride that kills people often have some unresolved shit they deal with. I would imagine it would be even worse if you were of the mind that you could've done something about it had you been there.

stevieray
10-11-2016, 03:49 PM
No shit?

Did you deal with any sort of 'survivors guilt' afterwards? I know people that miss a plane crash or even car ride that kills people often have some unresolved shit they deal with. I would imagine it would be even worse if you were of the mind that you could've done something about it had you been there.

this happened to me.. in high school, a guy wanted me to skip fourth period after lunch ...had a Ranchero painted like the Starsky and Hutch ride, 351 Winsdor..pretty fast...got tboned and he and another guy died instantly.

I was this >< close to going along.

KChiefs1
10-11-2016, 04:07 PM
No shit?

At the time I regretted not being there because I'm sort of a guy who gets worked up easily & there's no way those 2 prick's would have gotten out alive & everyone who was killed were good people.

It makes my blood boil right now thinking about it.

If I had walked in on it...it would have been gruesome what I would have made those prick's do to survive(which they wouldn't have).

So what I'm saying is...even 16 years later I have hate in my soul. I'd still like to go to El Dorado KS & torture them.

patteeu
10-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Interesting.

He's tiny. He's 5'2" according to wikipedia.

ThaVirus
10-11-2016, 06:06 PM
He's tiny. He's 5'2" according to wikipedia.

That makes it even more interesting.

I'm not one for the paranormal and extra shit but maybe it's something to do with negative energy or vibrations.

Buehler445
10-11-2016, 09:34 PM
At the time I regretted not being there because I'm sort of a guy who gets worked up easily & there's no way those 2 prick's would have gotten out alive & everyone who was killed were good people.

It makes my blood boil right now thinking about it.

If I had walked in on it...it would have been gruesome what I would have made those prick's do to survive(which they wouldn't have).

So what I'm saying is...even 16 years later I have hate in my soul. I'd still like to go to El Dorado KS & torture them.

That is crazy man. I'm sorry you have to live with that.

KChiefs1
10-11-2016, 10:29 PM
That is crazy man. I'm sorry you have to live with that.

I try to not think about but knowing those 2 pricks are still alive makes me sick.

Lonewolf Ed
10-11-2016, 11:16 PM
I suppose mine was with Gary Hicks, a guy I knew from junior high school on. I never knew at the time, but plenty did, that he was abusive to his girlfriends in school. His wife worked at a video rental store I went to and also at a convenience store. I saw her in the grocery store one day and said hello, and she got very nervous and tried to wave me away. Gary came stomping over and once he saw it was me, calmed down, or so I thought. He beat her when they got home since I had obviously been doing her... Apparently, anyone who looked at her was banging her behind his back. :rolleyes:

Years later, I saw a horrifying story on the news that after their divorce, he went to her house, kicked the door in and beat her up in front of their young son and daughter. He had a friend helping him, too, but I never found out who. They took Patty and put her in the trunk stuffed into a large gunny sack and drove from Olathe out to Lansing and on a farm, pelted the sack with rocks and threw her into a pond, where she drowned.

It had to have taken at least a half hour to drive out there and in all that time, he never thought, "You know, maybe killing her isn't the best idea I've had..." But, no, the psycho son of a bitch did it anyway. I remember seeing him on the local news after he was sentenced. He looked across the courtroom to his children and mouthed, "I love you." They stared at him coldly and the girl held up a sign reading, WE HATE YOU, GARY. Then they led him away. He is doing life in Leavenworth now, the prick.

Nickhead
10-12-2016, 12:04 AM
i know someone who claims to have been present when randy leach went missing (she has since recanted many times).

i was going to go into business with a coworker at one point. then i moved. a couple years later he is sitting in prison for diddling his kids.

my pot dealer was shot and killed many years ago. (a guy named carrington that would be caught. was eating his victims because he was smoking wet)

my apartment was broken into, while i was sleeping upstairs (was working almost 80 hrs a week and dog assed tired.)

i left colorado for kansas and drove through littleton colorado just minutes before the shootings started.

a coworker convinced me to prank call his mom that he was killed. ten minutes later, his girlfriend comes running in saying her brother was in a car wreck. it killed his passenger.

same friend pulled me over (hes now a cop), had a ride along and was showing off. let me go, but he didn't know i had three ounces of weed on me at the time.

two doors down from us about a year ago, a man was slaughtering his wife as i was getting in my car to go to work.

hmmm... i know i am missing some others.