PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs DL coach Tommy Brasher

RealSNR
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
What do we know about this guy? People seemed to be positive about the hire when it happened.

I ask because kcchiefs.com has been doing these "Coaches Corner" bits with Reid the Red. Most of them are crap, just talking about where the coach is from, how he knows Andy, and what he expects from this Chiefs team, etc.

Some guys here really liked Brasher, so I checked his thing out. I had no idea the guy went through radiation treatments for cancer WHILE still holding his role as a defensive advisor on the team.

Particularly, I'm wondering what we're going to get out of him. The dude looks pretty damn old, and while he's not in a position to fuck the team over like Old Man Muir did in 2011, it's pretty damn crucial we get a guy in here who's going to be the right coach for Dontari Poe. Everybody here can probably agree that fixing this confusing mess of a defensive line is the key to building that suffocating and fierce defense. And while I'm optimistic that some of that will be taken care of through the change to Sutton's more aggressive style, I can't help but wonder if this geezer is going to be the best for the guys like Poe, Powe, Jackson, Bailey, and any other rookies or young talent we bring on.

Anyway, if you want to check it out, here it is. I was hoping he'd say some intriguing bits about Dontari Poe. But no, just more, "guy's really athletic... fast, strong..."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Coachs-Corner-Tommy-Brasher/b1a4abab-d8b2-46b6-b8bf-10c953dd5972

The Franchise
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
http://prod.static.chiefs.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/KC/photos/00_665x340/04-April/665BrasherCC13.jpg

RealSNR
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
And yes, I know our defensive line coach doesn't need to be a psychotic moron like Tim Krumrie to be effective.

RealSNR
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Also, apparently when he coached for 4 games last season after the Eagles fired Washburn, he had the players go back to what he was used to.

Washburn was from the wide-9 style of getting pressure upfield. Brasher is much more a read-and-react kind of coach.

I'm curious how that's going to mesh with the new changes we're making in defensive philosophy under Sutton. It generally appears that the hybrid we're going for is going to be more two-gap oriented than people would like.

BossChief
04-16-2013, 12:34 PM
At least he will be able to finish off all the ensure Bill Muir left in the fridge.

The Bad Guy
04-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Also, apparently when he coached for 4 games last season after the Eagles fired Washburn, he had the players go back to what he was used to.

Washburn was from the wide-9 style of getting pressure upfield. Brasher is much more a read-and-react kind of coach.

I'm curious how that's going to mesh with the new changes we're making in defensive philosophy under Sutton. It generally appears that the hybrid we're going for is going to be more two-gap oriented than people would like.

It's not going to be a 2-gap defense.

It's going to be an up the field attacking style based on what Sutton told my friend when he accepted the job.

Jim Johnson ran an attacking one-gap style and that's what Brasher coached under for 6 years in Philly.

RealSNR
04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
It's not going to be a 2-gap defense.

It's going to be an up the field attacking style based on what Sutton told my friend when he accepted the job.

Jim Johnson ran an attacking one-gap style and that's what Brasher coached under for 6 years in Philly.

Ah. That makes me feel a bit better.

Deberg_1990
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
I can't help but wonder if this geezer is going to be the best for the guys like Poe, Powe, Jackson, Bailey, and any other rookies or young talent we bring on.

Dick Curl developed Bradfords game

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
At least he will be able to finish off all the ensure Bill Muir left in the fridge.

ROFL jeez, old man Muir. Classic Chiefs right there.
Posted via Mobile Device

jspchief
04-16-2013, 08:12 PM

I'm curious how that's going to mesh with the new changes we're making in defensive philosophy under Sutton. It generally appears that the hybrid we're going for is going to be more two-gap oriented than people would like.The wide 9 is a piece of shit scheme that gets your team torched by the run in exchange for a mildly improved pass rush.

Sorter
04-16-2013, 08:16 PM
The wide 9 is a piece of shit scheme that gets your team torched by the run in exchange for a mildly improved pass rush.

There are some sound philosophies behind it. The problem with it, like a pure 2-gap, is that it requires a lot of very special players to operate correctly.