PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Things to like:

Chris Meck
04-27-2013, 01:20 PM
So, I'm more of a glass-is-half-full guy than most of you, it's true. As much frustration as Chiefs fans have gone through for the last three friggin' decades we're certainly allowed to be...skeptical. I don't think you can view THIS front office through the prism of PAST front offices. They weren't here, and they don't care-and they shouldn't.

This offseason began with gaping holes at QB, ILB, CB, S. The response to these problems from Dorsey/Reid was to sign multiple proven NFL bodies at most of the positions and at least one at all. This truly allowed for a 'Best Player Available' draft strategy in which you didn't have to reach for need at any spot for any reason. They said that was their plan all along, and they executed it.

This is the draft that was available to them. There was no magical QB sitting at the top for them; any QB they could've taken was a HUGE reach, as the rest of the league confirmed.

I like Fisher. I think he's going to be special. I like his attitude, he's huge, he's nimble, he's everything you want at LT. I still think Albert leaves, but if he stays then we'll have a year of killer bookends. Pencil him in at LT for the next decade and move on.

Kelce I think could be a real find; he's a complete TE and is a fiery guy. We could totally do some of the two TE sets that NE runs and give teams fits on the weeks that Moeaki doesn't have a hangnail.

Davis is 230 lbs. and runs a 4.35 40 yd dash. Jesus. He had the one major injury, but good lord, that's a load to move that fast. If he can spell Charles, we'll be damned dangerous out of the backfield. Reid likes screens, and we'll be able to punish people with them.

I'll betcha Nico Johnson competes for a starting spot at ILB. I think he's a guy that fits that thumper position to a 't'.

Cummings looks to have upside as well. This is a good, solid draft. There are no reaches here, these are all solid football players.

Nobody debates that this team will go as far as Alex Smith takes it; but at least the supporting cast looks pretty capable. I'll bet this is a playoff team come January.

saveourbugs
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM
shut up noob

NY CHIEF
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM
;) Agree

Direckshun
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
They're not bad players. The Chiefs have brought in good players.

But they're all role players, Fisher excepted. That's what's so fucking excruciating.

No action on QB, WR, DL, or passrushers, which are like the four of the five most important areas in today's NFL (left tackle being the other one).

I'm not upset with the talent we're bringing in. I'm upset with the selections we've made.

There is a distinction.

LiveSteam
04-27-2013, 01:23 PM
shut up noob

:facepalm: n00b

Titty Meat
2 starters

Bugeater
shut up noob
Outed yourself on your first post this time. You really suck at this.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Agreed

Solid draft. April is interesting, but what truly matters is Sept to Jan.

I like Reid, and i like the team and staff he has put together.

saveourbugs
04-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Outed yourself on your first post this time. You really suck at this.

do I know you?

Deberg_1990
04-27-2013, 01:26 PM
But they're all role players, Fisher excepted. That's what's so ****ing excruciating.

How many starting holes did this team have after free agency? Not many....which is the draft strategy here. No need to reach. I know fans want a QB, but honestly, why reach? There is no urgency to draft one. All he would do is sit behind Smith and Daniels.

LiveSteam
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
do I know you?

What kind of ball powder do you use?

RealSNR
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM

But they're all role players, Fisher excepted. That's what's so fucking excruciating.

No action on QB, WR, DL, or passrushers, which are like the four of the five most important areas in today's NFL (left tackle being the other one).

I'm not upset with the talent we're bringing in. I'm upset with the selections we've made.

There is a distinction.

Yeah. We're still only at Houston and Hali. If either get injured, we're screwed.

We're still thin as hell on defensive line. If any get injured, we're screwed.

We're still all about Bowe and nothing else at WR. If he gets injured, we're screwed.

Alex Smith... uhh yeah...

Plenty of good players left, but we're running out of time.

Chris Meck
04-27-2013, 01:29 PM

But they're all role players, Fisher excepted. That's what's so ****ing excruciating.

There is a distinction.

Well, I think the way the draft played out indicates that there were no answers at QB, so I think that has to validate their stance. Just getting a guy to get a guy doesn't make it a good move. 32 NFL GM's are saying that Barkley is not as good as Brodie Croyle, fer cryin' out loud.
WR as well, for that matter- Austin is intriguing but I doubt worth that high a pick and Patterson? I don't know that I want to count on that at 1.1. The rest all seem pretty 'meh'.
I didn't see any real good fits on the DL worth reaching for (which, by the way, we have two #1's there as it stands) or OLB's (where we really DO seem set).

Chiefnj2
04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Beginning last year I emotionally divorced myself from the Chiefs. It just isn't worth it. I'll cheer for the Seahawks again this year and I'll keep an eye on KC and hope for the best.

I 100% agree with everyone's frustration with how the team is being built - AGAIN.

As far as the draft is concerned my .o2

1. They blew it not trading Albert. If you use the 1.1 on a tackle, it better be a LT and you better play him there at the start. I hope they move Albert and develop Fisher at the spot they intend him to anchor. Put it this way, if Oakland drafted a tackle at 1 and played him at RT for a year or two - you'd be laughing at them. Other than that, Fisher is a good pick.

2. Two #2's for Alex Smith - overpaid. Sorry, but I don't buy into Smith. His best years were in a system where he was twice as conservative as Cassel.

3. Kelce. I kind of like the pick. I was one of the few people who chose TE as a top position of need for KC. Look, Smith is the QB and the only target he could consistently find was Vernon Davis. KC needed a healthy upgrade at TE for Smith to succeed.

4. Davis. Don't like the pick for a 3rd rounder. Big injury that he didn't really heal from. Way too many other areas that needed starters or upgrades.

5. Nico Johnson. Meh. Other players I would have taken.

6. Cummings. Not down on the player, but didn't KC bring in a bunch of CBs to hold the fort? Is Hudson ready to start? Does the team have a #2 WR? A safety upgrade? Another pass rusher in case something happens to Hali/Houston? A DE?

Overall, I'm not too impressed with Dorsey and Reid and how they played the draft.

Direckshun
04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
How many starting holes did this team have after free agency? Not many....which is the draft strategy here. No need to reach. I know fans want a QB, but honestly, why reach? There is no urgency to draft one. All he would do is sit behind Smith and Daniels.

The game is built around QBs, who rely on WRs more than any other position, and need to have their blindsides watched over by a good LT.

On the defense, you need to fuck up the QB, which means you need a strong DL and a great passrush.

These are the five pillars on which championships are built. You get out of them what you invest into them.

The Chiefs made two serious investments in these five positions all offseason -- they traded for Alex Smith (which I now am not that opposed to), and they used the 1.1 on Fisher.

They've had ample opportunity to beef up the DL, add more passrushing talent, and give this team more power downfield catching passes. And they've brought in middling talent across the board on that score, though I do think Kelce has a chance to develop.

ct
04-27-2013, 01:32 PM
So far DB Cummings is the only pick I don't like. Not they I don't like his potential, just can't trust him from what I read. Obviously I've never met the guy, no idea who he REALLY is.

Also not thrilled w/ rb pick so early, but sounds like he could be a baller.

Course what I hate is not having a 2nd round pick and watching all the S and ILB prospects disappear before the 3rd round.

HoneyBadger
04-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Explain. It seems the same to me.

GordonGekko
04-27-2013, 01:35 PM
So far DB Cummings is the only pick I don't like. Not they I don't like his potential, just can't trust him from what I read. Obviously I've never met the guy, no idea who he REALLY is.

Also not thrilled w/ rb pick so early, but sounds like he could be a baller.

Course what I hate is not having a 2nd round pick and watching all the S and ILB prospects disappear before the 3rd round.

Fisher wasn't a bad pick, it was just so obvious.

Round 3 was a COMPLETE fucking disaster.

Nico Johnson I feel was an above average pick.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2013, 02:20 PM
The game is built around QBs, who rely on WRs more than any other position, and need to have their blindsides watched over by a good LT.

On the defense, you need to **** up the QB, which means you need a strong DL and a great passrush.

These are the five pillars on which championships are built. You get out of them what you invest into them.

The Chiefs made two serious investments in these five positions all offseason -- they traded for Alex Smith (which I now am not that opposed to), and they used the 1.1 on Fisher.

They've had ample opportunity to beef up the DL, add more passrushing talent, and give this team more power downfield catching passes. And they've brought in middling talent across the board on that score, though I do think Kelce has a chance to develop.

I can only speculate, but Reid must feel ok with Hali, Jackson, Houston, deVito, Poe and Baldwin. He probably feels he can develop and get more out of some of the underachievers.

Bump
04-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Fisher and maybe the TE will be the only ones on the roster in 3 years.

CrazyPhuD
04-27-2013, 02:30 PM
#1 thing to like....in a few hours it'll be over....

Red Dawg
04-27-2013, 04:23 PM
;) Agree

I also agree. This draft will give depth we did not have. Kelce is a player that will start and no doubt when people Davis at camp they will know why he got picked. Kid has a beast in him.

Mecca
04-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Moeaki is gonna struggle to make the team, Fasano and Kelce above him now.

track
04-27-2013, 04:37 PM
So, I'm more of a glass-is-half-full guy than most of you, it's true. As much frustration as Chiefs fans have gone through for the last three friggin' decades we're certainly allowed to be...skeptical. I don't think you can view THIS front office through the prism of PAST front offices. They weren't here, and they don't care-and they shouldn't.

This offseason began with gaping holes at QB, ILB, CB, S. The response to these problems from Dorsey/Reid was to sign multiple proven NFL bodies at most of the positions and at least one at all. This truly allowed for a 'Best Player Available' draft strategy in which you didn't have to reach for need at any spot for any reason. They said that was their plan all along, and they executed it.

This is the draft that was available to them. There was no magical QB sitting at the top for them; any QB they could've taken was a HUGE reach, as the rest of the league confirmed.

I like Fisher. I think he's going to be special. I like his attitude, he's huge, he's nimble, he's everything you want at LT. I still think Albert leaves, but if he stays then we'll have a year of killer bookends. Pencil him in at LT for the next decade and move on.

Kelce I think could be a real find; he's a complete TE and is a fiery guy. We could totally do some of the two TE sets that NE runs and give teams fits on the weeks that Moeaki doesn't have a hangnail.

Davis is 230 lbs. and runs a 4.35 40 yd dash. Jesus. He had the one major injury, but good lord, that's a load to move that fast. If he can spell Charles, we'll be damned dangerous out of the backfield. Reid likes screens, and we'll be able to punish people with them.

I'll betcha Nico Johnson competes for a starting spot at ILB. I think he's a guy that fits that thumper position to a 't'.

Cummings looks to have upside as well. This is a good, solid draft. There are no reaches here, these are all solid football players.

Nobody debates that this team will go as far as Alex Smith takes it; but at least the supporting cast looks pretty capable. I'll bet this is a playoff team come January.

All one needs to say to be ecstatic is Pioli and Cassel are history...that alone is worth celebrating. This team is light years ahead of where it was one year ago at this time.

KCDC
04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
All one needs to say to be ecstatic is ***** and Cassel are history...that alone is worth celebrating. This team is light years ahead of where it was one year ago at this time.

Yeah, glad to be rid of both. Last year at this time, we were confident we were going to the playoffs and most media experts picked the Chiefs to win the Division or be the wild card. We had plenty of cap space to add free agents.

This year, we are expecting to be 8-8. We have no cap space and need to cut a starter to get it. We added no one exciting to the roster. In fact, everyone we added is mostly just "okay."

Are we light years ahead of last year? No.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2013, 05:04 PM

My take, to a "T"

End of Thread....

track
04-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah, glad to be rid of both. Last year at this time, we were confident we were going to the playoffs and most media experts picked the Chiefs to win the Division or be the wild card. We had plenty of cap space to add free agents.

This year, we are expecting to be 8-8. We have no cap space and need to cut a starter to get it. We added no one exciting to the roster. In fact, everyone we added is mostly just "okay."

Are we light years ahead of last year? No.

Last year lead to one of the most epic fail seasons in NFL history.... one of the worst QB performances in KC history and that's saying a lot. YES...we are light years ahead of last year....GM, Coach, QB, and overall team depth. This team will win 4 times as many games next year as last years team and that's a huge improvement in one year.

Bugeater
04-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Last year lead to one of the most epic fail seasons in NFL history.... one of the worst QB performances in KC history and that's saying a lot. YES...we are light years ahead of last year....GM, Coach, QB, and overall team depth. This team will win 4 times as many games next year as last years team and that's a huge improvement in one year.
Going 8-8 with a team that should've been at least 8-8 the year before is not improvement.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
This organization as a whole is light years ahead of last year. Maybe these chumps will play up to their potential with a New staff and QB.

philfree
04-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Moeaki is gonna struggle to make the team, Fasano and Kelce above him now.

I assume we'll keep three TEs and I'm thinking we're going to run a lot of 2 TE sets. These three guys should have a good competition too and that should bring out their best. Stacked at TE?

mcaj22
04-27-2013, 05:38 PM
the problem is teams dont normally roll into game days on sunday with 3 active TEs.

lol 3 suited up TEs means another position is going to be severely limited and that is a huge risk

TribalElder
04-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Rusty hanger in the love oven

philfree
04-27-2013, 05:44 PM
the problem is teams dont normally roll into game days on sunday with 3 active TEs.

lol 3 suited up TEs means another position is going to be severely limited and that is a huge risk

Yeah Kelce plays STs to so there is that. Nothing wrong with quality depth either.

farmerchief
04-27-2013, 05:47 PM

Moeki seems to be often injured, so we may only have two healthy TE ' s each week

Molitoth
04-27-2013, 05:59 PM
All one needs to say to be ecstatic is ***** and Cassel are history...that alone is worth celebrating. This team is light years ahead of where it was one year ago at this time.

Hell, those are some high standards....

lol

thabear04
04-27-2013, 06:00 PM
I bet next year draft they are gonna predict us getting anther tackle.

RINGLEADER
04-27-2013, 07:44 PM
1. They blew it not trading Albert. If you use the 1.1 on a tackle, it better be a LT and you better play him there at the start. I hope they move Albert and develop Fisher at the spot they intend him to anchor. Put it this way, if Oakland drafted a tackle at 1 and played him at RT for a year or two - you'd be laughing at them. Other than that, Fisher is a good pick.

Generally agree, but tough to say how this ends up playing out. For this weekend they seemed to whiff, but time will tell. Given what they wanted to do, however, I like Fisher.

2. Two #2's for Alex Smith - overpaid. Sorry, but I don't buy into Smith. His best years were in a system where he was twice as conservative as Cassel.

Even if Smith plays lights out like he did the last 1.5 seasons I agree. Two #3's would be tough to stomach -- but I agree totally that they overpaid. If he plays like the last two seasons he might have been worth a #2, but tough to forget his first five seasons.

3. Kelce. I kind of like the pick. I was one of the few people who chose TE as a top position of need for KC. Look, Smith is the QB and the only target he could consistently find was Vernon Davis. KC needed a healthy upgrade at TE for Smith to succeed.

I love this pick. Dude could easily be our Vernon Davis, as you point out. Moeaki just can't be trusted.

4. Davis. Don't like the pick for a 3rd rounder. Big injury that he didn't really heal from. Way too many other areas that needed starters or upgrades.

As I think Keg said, big risk/big reward. If he didn't say that, then I'll say it.

5. Nico Johnson. Meh. Other players I would have taken.

Agreed. Bad pick IMO because it doesn't solve the problem we [still] have at ILB.

6. Cummings. Not down on the player, but didn't KC bring in a bunch of CBs to hold the fort? Is Hudson ready to start? Does the team have a #2 WR? A safety upgrade? Another pass rusher in case something happens to Hali/Houston? A DE?

This is my "meh" pick. Doubt he amounts to much.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with Dorsey and Reid and how they played the draft.

Too early to tell IMO. I think they resigned themselves to build a team around Alex Smith so, as has been repeated often here, we're sort of in a Cassel v 2.0 situation.

RINGLEADER
04-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Alex Smith needs lots of TEs.

KCwolf
04-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Your ALL in or your OUT .... Period. Ive been IN too long. Still IN. Retard.

suzzer99
04-27-2013, 08:05 PM
JFC not one of you knows twat-all if this was a good draft or not. Ask again in 3 years.