PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Paint for outdoor gas pipe

The Bad Guy
04-27-2013, 07:01 PM
The gas pipe that's connected to the meter outside is rusting bad and the wife is all over me about painting it.

Will just a Rustoleum product work? I want to prevent it from rusting more in the future and cover it up. Pipe has only been up a year and a half.

Thanks for any help.

Bugeater
04-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah, anything oil-based will prevent it from rusting. Naturally you'll want to clean it up as much as possible beforehand.

CrazyPhuD
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Pick something flammable....seriously though I'm sure if you wanted to you could always call and ask the gas company for recommended products. It shouldn't be an issue but they may have things they recommend.

kstater
Yeah, anything oil-based will prevent it from rusting. Naturally you'll want to clean it up as much as possible beforehand.

Yup, an electric sander will work great, and help determine where the weak areas are.

The Bad Guy
Pick something flammable.

Thanks for the advice.

Bugeater
04-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Yup, an electric sander will work great, and help determine where the weak areas are.I usually use a wire wheel attachment thingy for my drill, it gets into the nooks and crannies around the fittings really well, that's where they tend to rust the most.

listopencil
04-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Use a blowtorch to get the old debris off of the pipe first.

BlackHelicopters
04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Clear a five block radius before hand.

MotherfuckerJones
04-27-2013, 07:20 PM
I forget the name, but there's a rust preventative solution. It's green. We use it painting on anything that is rusting bad. Osfo might be the name.

HonestChieffan
04-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Use something that makes a lot of sparks. Wire wheel is good. Side grinder even better. Or maybe just paint it and plan to do it again in a year or two and avoid becoming a human torch

MotherfuckerJones
04-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Try an AIDs branch :)

chefsos
04-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I usually just take a hacksaw and cut out the rusty piece of steel pipe and replace it with garden hose or something.

A Salt Weapon
04-27-2013, 07:38 PM
As a gas guy, some of these responses are hilarious and I'll have to use some of them in the future.

Kind of surprised anyone would install black iron outside, we use galvy. Use a metal paint scraper on the pipe and coat it with any outdoor paint, preferably something designed to be applied to rust. I can't remember the stuff we use but it has a red stop sign and the word rust on it. Yellow is a good color for gas.

It really should have been galvy or wrapped with 10mil, however iron pipe is pretty durable and unlikely to rust through in your lifetime.

A Salt Weapon
04-27-2013, 07:40 PM
On second thought, burn the house down and rebuild it.

listopencil
04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m545vl78841qee48qo1_500.jpg

Moon§hiner
04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
As a gas guy, some of these responses are hilarious and I'll have to use some of them in the future.

Kind of surprised anyone would install black iron outside, we use galvy. Use a metal paint scraper on the pipe and coat it with any outdoor paint, preferably something designed to be applied to rust. I can't remember the stuff we use but it has a red stop sign and the word rust on it. Yellow is a good color for gas.

It really should have been galvy or wrapped with 10mil, however iron pipe is pretty durable and unlikely to rust through in your lifetime.

Hmm, down here when we come across galvanized we eliminate it due to flaking of impurities inside the piping. Not as bad as copper, but it's a code nono.

Groves
04-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Rust makes a fine protective layer, don't worry about it.

Galvanized is not permitted in indoor gas piping (in Missouri) because its seam welded instead of extruded and the atmosphere of the gas over time can lead to seam failure.

I bet your gas company would paint it for free.