PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft S.I.'s early look 2014 Mock Draft

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
2014 NFL Mock Draft (http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/30/2014-nfl-mock-draft/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

A few notes before we dive headfirst into this 2014 mock draft (despite being just days removed from the actual 2013 draft):

First off, the goal here is more to provide some idea for the top prospects heading into next year, rather than to nail down exact draft scenarios. Teams are placed roughly where I’d project them to land in the coming season’s standings, but the draft order is far from an exact science or a full-blown prediction.

You also might notice that, again, there is no running back in Round 1. That’s not a mistake. The 2014 RB class resembles this year’s — there is depth, with players like Lache Seastrunk, Damien Williams, Ka’Deem Carey and others capable of dominating at the collegiate level this year; but there does not appear to be a Trent Richardson or Adrian Peterson that teams will be desperate to take early.

The QB spot, as much as any, should be fluid in the coming months, too. That will be especially true if, say, Johnny Manziel flops or decides to head back to school for the 2014 season. Plus, a few quarterbackw should emerge, as they always do.

In other words, take everything below with a grain (or spoonful) of salt. Plenty will stay up in the air for the next 360 or so days. But let’s take a glance anyway at which players might crack Round 1 come the 2014 draft:

1. Oakland Raiders — Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: Whichever team winds up picking No. 1 overall will be faced with quite the dilemma. Does that team nab a potential franchise quarterback or Clowney, the country’s best defender and a player that may have been taken first in the 2013 draft had he been eligible? I’ll stick with Clowney here, for now, because he’s the best 2014 prospect. Also, it’s a deep QB draft, so the Raiders (hypothetically) could land Clowney early, then possibly turn around with a QB like A.J. McCarron, Braxton Miller, Derek Carr or David Fales atop Round 2.

2. Arizona Cardinals — Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: We’re still four months from the college football season, but Bridgewater is the clear top QB prospect for 2014. That’s not to say that the QB crop is weak — several could justify first-round picks (assuming they don’t flop in 2013) and the class could have several players off the board on Day 1 or 2. But there is very little not to like about Bridgewater’s game, and the Cardinals would love to have him.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars — Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson: As a guest analyst on the NFL Network’s draft coverage, LSU head coach absolutely raved about Boyd. Miles’ Tigers fell to Boyd’s … well, Tigers in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl last year, and Boyd threw for 346 yards and accounted for three touchdowns. Miles said his team tried everything and just couldn’t stop the assault. Boyd has now had back-to-back sensational years, and he is the type of dual-threat QB teams are clamoring for right now.

4. Cleveland Browns — Marqise Lee, WR, USC: Lee is just 6-feet tall, so we’re not talking about a Calvin Johnson-type that’s going to win jump balls consistently. What Lee will do, though, is get open and make plays. He caught a whopping 118 passes last season for 1,721 yards and 14 touchdowns. You’re looking at a Heisman frontrunner for 2013 and a player that could dramatically improve an NFL offense.

5. New York Jets — Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: The Jets again miss out on the top receiver, this imaginary draft matching 2013 reality. Watkins would be a terrific consolation prize. He split top duties with DeAndre Hopkins as a sophomore and still put up 57 catches for 708 yards. Given a full year to shine as the No. 1 target for Boyd, Watkins should soar.

6. San Diego Chargers — Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: Because the talent elsewhere will be better at the 2014 draft, offensive tackles will not dominate as they did this year. It’s still a loaded position, and expect Matthews to be right at the top. He might be even better than 2013 No. 2 pick Luke Joeckel.

7. Buffalo Bills — C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: Oh, look, an elite player from Alabama. Mosley can do it all — he had 107 tackles and a pair of interceptions last season — and would give Buffalo another dynamite young player to pair with 2013 second-rounder Kiko Alonso.

8. Kansas City Chiefs — Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame: Nix is a bit like Star Lotulelei, in that he’s massive (6-foot-3, 330) and yet still nimble enough to beat blockers at the line. Kansas City could drop him right in at nose tackle, but he could play DT in a 4-3 or slide out to DE in a 3-4 if needed.

9. Philadelphia Eagles — Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA: Renowned QB guru Steve Clarkson said that Hundley would have been the top pick in the 2013 draft, had he been eligible. It’s hard to argue, given the skills on this 6-3 QB. Another year like his freshman campaign (3,745 yards passing, 38 total touchdowns) should push Hundley to the draft.

10. Tennessee Titans — Morgan Breslin, DE, USC: Breslin racked up 13.0 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss in his first season following a transfer from junior college. He could be the premier pass rusher in the 2014 class.

11. Detroit Lions — Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: Maybe another year of getting torched by Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler and others will convince Detroit to draft a CB in Round 1. And Roby looks like the best of the bunch. Like Dee Milliner (6-0), Roby is a bit small (5-11); also like Milliner, he has speed and just loves attacking the football.

12. St. Louis Rams — Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan: Lewan might have leapfrogged Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel to be the No. 1 pick in 2013, if he had entered his name in the draft rather than returned to Michigan. He’s a clear high first-round prospect and, with Devin Gardner under center rather than Denard Robinson, will get a full year in a pro-style system.

13. Miami Dolphins — Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame: The yin to Nix’s yang, Tuitt dominated at DE in the Irish’s 3-4, chalking up 12.0 sacks and making life miserable for offensive linemen.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State: Sutton’s cut from the mold of Sharrif Floyd (a 2013 first-rounder for Minnesota) — undersized for DT (listed at 6-1, 288 and smaller than that), but a guy who continually makes plays.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers — Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: Seferian-Jenkins’ situation bears monitoring — he’s currently suspended from Washington for an offseason DUI arrest. If he gets things in order, the rising junior is a definite Round 1 pick. Think Tyler Eifert with even more athleticism.

16. Carolina Panthers — Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt: Taking a stab at the WR spot here. Matthews, 6-3 and 205 pounds, flirted with the 2013 draft following a 94-catch year. He opted to return to Vandy for his senior year, which should help him polish up his game. He’s not a burner but, like a Keenan Allen, exploits weaknesses in defenses.

17. Dallas Cowboys — Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama: Kouandjio could climb much higher than this. He was the starting left tackle last season for Alabama’s dominant line, and he could climb into the top five with another standout season.

18. Minnesota Vikings — Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: Manziel’s a tough one to peg. He doesn’t have great size or an elite arm, and his live-it-up lifestyle might scare some teams away. And yet, if he dominates the SEC for a second straight year, it would be tough to drop him very far. And Minnesota, barring a Christian Ponder breakthrough, could be ready for another change at QB.

19. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) — Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon: The Oregon defense is easy to overlook because of the dominance of its offense. Should you do so, however, you risk missing Ekpre-Olomu, who picked off four passes and batted down 20 more last season. Even at 5-10, he has lock-down corner potential.

20. Chicago Bears — Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: Barr, with 13.0 sacks off the edge last season, might be more suited for a 3-4 than Chicago’s 4-3. Or he’d be a Von Miller-type for the Bears here. Odds are, in the long run, that Barr might be off the board well before this next April. Also in consideration here: McCarron or Aaron Murray.

21. Indianapolis Colts — Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida: Roberson will have to work to stand out in Florida’s talented secondary. The soon-to-be junior has all the tools to emerge from the shadows, though, and set himself up for a long NFL career.

22. New Orleans Saints — Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: The nation was introduced to Van Noy when he recorded 3.5 sacks in BYU’s bowl win over San Diego State — part of 9.5 sacks he had in the Cougars’ final three games. The Ziggy Ansah comparisons are inevitable, but Van Noy is more of a linebacker than his former teammate — and he’s also probably more NFL-ready.

23. Baltimore Ravens — Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers: Coleman emerged in 2012 with 43 catches and 10 touchdowns. A strong follow-up season for the developing 6-6 receiver would put Coleman on a lot of radars.

24. New York Giants — Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: Thanks to a 2011 redshirt, Evans, like Manziel, could enter next year’s draft after playing just two college seasons. He should go, too, if he can improve on an 82-catch, 1,105-yard debut. At 6-5, 225, Evans would intrigue any team looking at Coleman.

25. Green Bay Packers — Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford: The Packers finally land their safety in the ball-hawking and intelligent Reynolds, who led the FBS with 301 interception-return yards and three scores last season.

26. Cincinnati Bengals — DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville: Another potential underclassman, I’m guessing Parker would declare for the draft if he and Bridgewater dominated again. Parker stepped up as Louisville’s top option in 2012 (40 catches, 10 TDs) and brings a tantalizing mix of speed and size to the table.

27. Seattle Seahawks — Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon: Lyeria made headlines this offseason by suggesting on Twitter that the Sandy Hook tragedy was a government conspiracy. So, maturity could be an issue. His numbers won’t leap off the page — 25 catches for 392 yards and six scores last season — but Lyeria (6-5, 240) is perfectly built to be an option in a creative offense.

28. New England Patriots — Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida: I wanted to find somewhere to drop Purifoy in this mock, and the Patriots seemed a natural fit. Why? Well, the 6-0 Purifoy has shown the ability to stuff receivers one-on-one … and he’s practicing at wide receiver this offseason, so he can play both ways. A high-end Julian Edelman.

29. Houston Texans — Christian Jones, LB, Florida State: Something tells me Jones, who had 95 tackles last season, will ultimately be picked higher than this. He can get into the backfield, diagnose plays and track down running backs. Jones could develop into the total package.

30. Atlanta Falcons — David Yankey, OT, Stanford: Yankey slid out to tackle from guard for 2012. His NFL future might be back on the interior of the line. Either way, that versatility will only serve to drive up his draft stock. Tennessee’s Antonio Richardson is another tackle to watch.

31. Denver Broncos — Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: Alabama’s track record of producing defensive backs won’t hurt “Ha Ha” next year. He stepped into a starting role in 2012 and picked off five passes, while showing the ability to play center field or shift down into the box or over slot receivers.

32. San Francisco 49ers — Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: With Bjoern Werner and Tank Carradine gone, Jernigan should be the star of Florida State’s D-line in 2013. He’s a monster up front and could project to fit multiple defensive schemes.

Dante84
04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Fucking jesus fucking christ

no more linemen

Hammock Parties
FAT GUYS!!! WOOOOO

nychief
Fucking stupid.

Ceej
04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
LMAO Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix

SAUTO
04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Sorry but there is no fucking way we should be drafting top ten.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cannibal
04-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I seriously doubt we drop another high pick on DT so soon. Plus, I think we'll be picking quite bit lower than 8th.

Nightfyre
LMAO 2013's QB class was weak but Tahj Boyd is the number 2 QB in this class? GTFO

Fat Elvis
Sorry but there is no ****ing way we should be drafting top ten.
Posted via Mobile Device

Esto

Deberg_1990
04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
First in with.....

Should the Chiefs tank the season to get Clowney or Bridgewater?

bigjosh
04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
if we are picking fucking 8th and take another god damn defensive lineman i will shit in my own mouth.

KC_Lee
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
The KC Chiefs...all linemen...all the time...

Mr_Tomahawk
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Not even going to worry about it 'till after the season.

I lost enough years on my life just waiting for this draft...

Tyler Bray.

RunKC
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm gonna be sick if the Raiders get Teddy Bridgewater. He's the type of QB that can turn it around for them.

cdcox
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
We don't know the draft order.
We don't know team's needs at the end of the season.
We don't know who the best college players are.

But other than that I'm sure this thing is dead on.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
We don't know the draft order.
We don't know team's needs at the end of the season.
We don't know who the best college players are.

But other than that I'm sure this thing is dead on.

:LOL:

RealSNR
You know you're disappointed with your team's draft class when you're already looking ahead to next year's mocks with anticipation.

bigjosh
Not even going to worry about it 'till after the season.

I lost enough years on my life just waiting for this draft...

Tyler Bray.

you mean this guy?

http://cdmtribune.s3.amazonaws.com/showcards/h3/AllPhotos/7930922/p7930922_b_h3_aa.jpg

kcpasco
04-30-2013, 08:01 PM
So at number 8 we take a DT but at 9 a QB goes off the board.
Their definitely is a conspiracy against KC drafting QB's.

swayy07
04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
i am sick and tired of "EXPERTS" saying every year that we need/ are going to draft a lineman of some sort....Thus is the franchise tho #FML

sd4chiefs
04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
SI must think the AFC West sucks. Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs are in the top 8. :shake:

Rasputin
04-30-2013, 08:31 PM
What if the best available player is a LT? BPA damn it LT will be there for the taking. True fans will rejoice and hoist Dorsey on their shoulders in triumph.

GordonGekko
04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
I wonder where mock drafts like this had Eric Fisher going at the end of last season?

Saccopoo
04-30-2013, 09:20 PM
if we are picking ****ing 8th and take another god damn defensive lineman i will shit in my own mouth.

Apparently, the 2012 Draft was a figment of mockers imagination and the Chiefs never actually took Dontari Poe.

Cephalic Trauma
04-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Esto

Eso

kcxiv
04-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

why not? a 5-11 to 6-10 is what i expect. Thats a top 10 pick

Saccopoo
04-30-2013, 09:24 PM
SI must think the AFC West sucks. Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs are in the top 8. :shake:

They kinda do.

We just finished the 2012 season 2-14 and our starting QB in 2013 was a guy that got kicked to the curb by a second year, second round QB. We filled holes with mediocre talent in free agency and drafted like shit in 2013 picking a back up right tackle at 1.1 and the rest of the picks are special teamers.

Anybody that thinks that the Chiefs are going to be kicking ass in 2013 is utterly delusional.

Saccopoo
04-30-2013, 09:32 PM
First in with.....

Should the Chiefs tank the season to get Clowney or Bridgewater?

Absolutely.

Though I think Taylor Lewan or Matthews would be the better pick.

Bookend tackles would be awesome.

And we could trade both Albert and Stephenson for additional picks.

I heard somewhere on Chiefs Planet that teams with two first round tackles have a better chance of being in the Super Bowl than teams who don't.

The Franchise
04-30-2013, 09:57 PM
If we take any defensive lineman from the Irish....it should be Tuitt.

prhom
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

We are trading up for it...

Micjones
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
A year away and some of you are already bitching.

WV
04-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm just glad to see they aren't slobbing Manziel's knob and have him in the top 5 or some dumb shit like that. Johnny Football is overrated.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

We shouldn't be lets put it that way. If Reid is going to drop back and make Smith throw, we will be back in the top 10. If Reid decides to play MartyBall we will be closer to the playoffs.

patteeu
05-01-2013, 05:26 AM
CP is a lot more skeptical of Alex Smith than most observers. It makes sense that SI sees DL as a bigger need next year than QB. But if the Chiefs are drafting 8th overall next year, chances are pretty good that Alex Smith isn't getting it done.

ChiefMojo
05-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Stephon Tuitt should be the pick and not Nix imo. I know this pick is yet again not sexy or what some on here don't want but T-Jax only has a year on his contract. After that, we have no one at his position. Tuitt would be a great replacement and upgrade! From a 5-Tech perspective, this next draft is great.

King_Chief_Fan
05-01-2013, 06:30 AM
CP is a lot more skeptical of Alex Smith than most observers. It makes sense that SI sees DL as a bigger need next year than QB. But if the Chiefs are drafting 8th overall next year, chances are pretty good that Alex Smith isn't getting it done.

and or the defense is total fail

Rausch
05-01-2013, 06:37 AM
and or the defense is total fail

Defense is and always will be 99.9% attitude and emotion...

SAUTO
05-01-2013, 06:38 AM
why not? a 5-11 to 6-10 is what i expect. Thats a top 10 pick

all the moves this regime has made are in the "win now" category.

no way we should be drafting in the top ten again

notorious
05-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Another DT in the 1st round?!

SI needs to fist itself.

patteeu
05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Another DT in the 1st round?!

SI needs to fist itself.

If our previous 1st round DTs had panned out better, it wouldn't be a consideration.

Rausch
05-01-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm just glad to see they aren't slobbing Manziel's knob and have him in the top 5 or some dumb shit like that. Johnny Football is overrated.

He'll go in the 3rd...

BlackHelicopters
05-01-2013, 07:26 AM
This is a joke right?

DaKCMan AP
05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Picks 1-6 are absolute win so, naturally, we take a fatty at #8.

milkman
05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
We shouldn't be lets put it that way. If Reid is going to drop back and make Smith throw, we will be back in the top 10. If Reid decides to play MartyBall we will be closer to the playoffs.

This.

If Reid tries to run this offense like he always has, this team will win 5 games, at most.

If he runs a play action, ground control offense, then 9 wins is a reasonable expectation.

Mediocrity is within our grasp, boys!

Mr. Laz
05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
If we are drafting top 8 then Alex Smith had a crappy season and we won't be passing on a Quality QB.

the Talking Can
05-01-2013, 09:12 AM
along as we never use a top 10 pick on a QB, we'll avoid risk...and that's the point of competing: to avoid risk

BlackHelicopters
05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
along as we never use a top 10 pick on a QB, we'll avoid risk...and that's the point of competing: to avoid risk

Mullets be damned.

GoChargers
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
As a fan of dominant defensive players (like Ray Ray for example), I have a feeling that Clowney will quickly become my favorite player in the league. Just hope the Faid doesn't get him.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2013, 09:38 AM
if it was up to you our QB depth chart right now would be

Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
Jimmy Clausen

keg in kc
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
if it was up to you our QB depth chart right now would be

Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
Jimmy ClausenWhich would be so much worse than

Geno Smith
Tyson Jackson
Dexter McCluster

L.A. Chieffan
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
jesus, i dont know if i can handle another 360 days of this shit

Mr. Laz
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Which would be so much worse than

Geno Smith
Tyson Jackson
Dexter McCluster
geno smith?

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
The dumbest thing about this is Manziel falling to #18

If he has another season like last he will be top 3 pick.

keg in kc
05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
geno smith?Neither he nor Fisher have played a down, so I just left him there.

keg in kc
05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Manziel's 6'1 in high heels. He may be lucky to go in the 1st at all. It wouldn't be unusual for him to have a drop-off this season, either, historically speaking.

New World Order
05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Drafting a qb is way too risky. DT would give us even more depth.- True Fans

patteeu
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Drafting a qb is way too risky. DT would give us even more depth.- True Fans

For a group that was just served it's comeupance by the collective wisdom of the professional NFL, you draft-a-QB-any-QB-at-1.1 guys sure continue to be full of yourselves.

keg in kc
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
For a group that was just served it's comeupance by the collective wisdom of the professional NFL, you draft-a-QB-any-QB-at-1.1 guys sure continue to be full of yourselves.That "comeupance" can't really happen until these guys play (or don't, as the case may be). It's one thing to talk about Mark Sanchez, who's clearly a bust. It's another to talk about guys who haven't seen their first rookie camp.

patteeu
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
That "comeupance" can't really happen until these guys play (or don't, as the case may be). It's one thing to talk about Mark Sanchez, who's clearly a bust. It's another to talk about guys who haven't seen their first rookie camp.

I think the first course of comeupance has already been served. No one in the NFL believed what the most ardent Genophiles around here believe about Geno Smith.

HemiEd
05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
If we are drafting top 8 then Alex Smith had a crappy season and we won't be passing on a Quality QB.

ROFL ROFL Sure they will draft a QB in the first round, of course they will. :LOL:

RealSNR
05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
For a group that was just served it's comeupance by the collective wisdom of the professional NFL, you draft-a-QB-any-QB-at-1.1 guys sure continue to be full of yourselves.

No comeupances will be served until we see how Geno plays.

Drafting Geno at #1 was only ever about the right decision for the Chiefs specifically. Obvious teams like Jacksonville who actually needed a LT *snicker* weren't going to draft him, especially when the coach still wants to see what he has in the last 1st round QB drafted only two years ago.

You can claim this is actually about draft position and how people feel about him as a QB, but if you claim victory now and Geno ends up raping faces, you'll get poop flicked into your eyes.

patteeu
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
No comeupances will be served until we see how Geno plays.

Drafting Geno at #1 was only ever about the right decision for the Chiefs specifically. Obvious teams like Jacksonville who actually needed a LT *snicker* weren't going to draft him, especially when the coach still wants to see what he has in the last 1st round QB drafted only two years ago.

You can claim this is actually about draft position and how people feel about him as a QB, but if you claim victory now and Geno ends up raping faces, you'll get poop flicked into your eyes.

It's about making smart drafting decisions.

And let's not forget what we've been taught from the gospel according to the draftabulators. You don't find franchise QBs outside of the first round unless you stumble into one by accident. By definition, Geno has become a long shot.

keg in kc
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
If Geno becomes one of the league's best, which he may or may not (nobody knows that right now), then it will have been a two-fold poor draft decision to have passed on him. Both at #1 and at #34 because of the ill-advised (with or without Geno) Alex Smith trade.

Draft picks are ultimately valued based on how they perform. It's like with Aaron Rodgers. As much as that was a success for Green Bay, it was ultimately a failure by the teams in front of them. The same is similarly true for later picks like Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. A fact that is rarely acknowledged by people in this discussion. Failure is not just characterized by making the wrong pick, it's also a matter of failing to identify and make the right one.

patteeu
05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
If Geno becomes one of the league's best, which he may or may not (nobody knows that right now), then it will have been a two-fold poor draft decision to have passed on him. Both at #1 and at #34 because of the ill-advised (with or without Geno) Alex Smith trade.

Draft picks are ultimately valued based on how they perform. It's like with Aaron Rodgers. As much as that was a success for Green Bay, it was ultimately a failure by the teams in front of them. The same is similarly true for later picks like Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. A fact that is rarely acknowledged by people in this discussion. Failure is not just characterized by making the wrong pick, it's also a matter of failing to identify and make the right one.

No one crushes 30 other NFL teams for passing on Tom Brady an average of over 6 times each because everyone understands that no one saw him as anything other than a long shot in the draft. The fact that Tom's mother believed in him doesn't mean that she was smart and the entire NFL was dumb.

If Geno turns into a franchise QB, that will be a credit to him and to the Jets who decided to take a flyer with their third pick, but it won't vindicate Geno's mom or the guys around here who insisted that he was the right pick at 1.1 and that anyone who thought otherwise was a moron.

New World Order
05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
No one crushes 30 other NFL teams for passing on Tom Brady an average of over 6 times each because everyone understands that no one saw him as anything other than a long shot in the draft. The fact that Tom's mother believed in him doesn't mean that she was smart and the entire NFL was dumb.

If Geno turns into a franchise QB, that will be a credit to him and to the Jets who decided to take a flyer with their third pick, but it won't vindicate Geno's mom or the guys around here who insisted that he was the right pick at 1.1 and that anyone who thought otherwise was a moron.

And most importantly, Clay.

jd1020
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
We are gonna need another tackle for when Albert walks off the team next season...

We need to get Taylor Lewan, the first OT after the Chiefs pick in this mock.

Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan: Lewan might have leapfrogged Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel to be the No. 1 pick in 2013, if he had entered his name in the draft rather than returned to Michigan. He’s a clear high first-round prospect and, with Devin Gardner under center rather than Denard Robinson, will get a full year in a pro-style system.

Better than the dude we just picked? Sign me up!!!! SB in 3 years!

duncan_idaho
05-01-2013, 02:01 PM
How is it possible Taylor Lewan is MORE highly regarded than Fisher and Joeckel and is being mocked at No. 12 in the next draft?

We were told these guys were ELITE prospects that would go in the top 10 in ANY draft!

RealSNR
05-01-2013, 02:13 PM

People who said otherwise didn't know why they didn't like him. They just knew they didn't like him.

Akili Smith comparisons tell the whole story on that one.

The people who could actually explain why they thought Geno would be a failure in the NFL were never called morons. The Bad Guy is one of them. Go ask him if anybody has ever called him a moron because of his opinion on Geno Smith.

patteeu
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
People who said otherwise didn't know why they didn't like him. They just knew they didn't like him.

Akili Smith comparisons tell the whole story on that one.

The people who could actually explain why they thought Geno would be a failure in the NFL were never called morons. The Bad Guy is one of them. Go ask him if anybody has ever called him a moron because of his opinion on Geno Smith.

As it turns out, the people calling for Geno at 1.1 didn't have adequate standing to call anyone moron.

Rain Man
05-01-2013, 10:15 PM
In our alternate reality game, I drafted Sanchez in the first round in 09, then Clausen in the 2nd round in 10, and Russell Wilson in the 3rd round in 12. A couple of people mentioned that it was "unrealistic" and that no NFL team would invest three picks like that in quarterbacks over a four-year period.

I don't understand why the quarterback position should be treated any differently than other positions. You bring in competition every year, and may the best man win. The qb position should be subject to competition just like every other position, and in fact should be more subject given its importance. If you have a great quarterback he'll beat down the competition every year and your depth will get better. If your third-year quarterback can't beat out a rookie, then you either have a very good rookie or your third-year quarterback isn't a world beater.

For the record, I'll likely draft another quarterback this year, too. Keep the heat on.

Anyong Bluth
05-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Teddy! Teddy! Teddy!

(Bridgewater, that is)

RealSNR
05-02-2013, 12:16 AM
As it turns out, the people calling for Geno at 1.1 didn't have adequate standing to call anyone moron.

You DO realize that you just took this back around in a circle, right? That's the point we started with.

Try again, Descartes.