PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I've got a big chip on my shoulder,' says new Kansas City Chiefs LB Nico Johnson

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
I've got a big chip on my shoulder,' says new Kansas City Chiefs LB Nico Johnson (http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/04/ive_got_a_big_chip_on_my_shoul.html)
Don Kausler Jr.

on April 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM, updated April 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama – In the months, weeks and then days leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft, Nico Johnson talked to most teams in the league. Practically all of them, in fact.
“Kansas City was probably the only team that I didn’t talk to,” the former Alabama linebacker said Tuesday by phone from Andalusia.
So after he slept in Saturday, he showered.
“I was just waking up,” Johnson said. “As soon as I turned the TV on, my name popped up and my phone rang.”
The Chiefs were calling to tell him that they had selected him with the second pick in the fourth round. Johnson was the 99th player drafted overall.
“I was shocked that they drafted me, but I’m thankful,” he said. “All of my stress went away. At least somebody believed in me. I just can’t wait to showcase what I can do.”
Three days later, Johnson said the news that he’s a pro football player still is soaking in.
“Now I’ve got the mindset that I want to go out and earn everything that was given to me,” he said. “I have to earn respect from my new teammates and coaches. I’m just grateful for the opportunity to play for the Kansas City Chiefs.”
When he reports next Thursday for rookie minicamp, the Chiefs might think he’s already wearing shoulder pads.
“I’ve got a big chip on my shoulder,” said Johnson, who was typecast as a run-stopper at Alabama because he was replaced by C.J. Mosley in passing situations. “It was already there before the end of the season. I can’t wait. I’m so motivated right now to go out and do my best, a whole lot more than what people think.”
Johnson is eager to prove he isn’t one-dimensional.
“The way Coach runs the system here at Alabama, I was labeled just as a run-stopper, not a pass coverage guy,” he said, referring to Nick Saban. “He always took me out on pass coverage.
‘I can’t worry about what people thought of me. It’s kind of motivated me to continue to get better, no matter what. You’re always going to have those naysayers. That just adds wood to the fire.”
There was only one bad thing about playing at Alabama, Johnson said.
“You have so much talent, and Coach knows how to get the best players on the field at the right time,” he said. “You’ve just got to take it and keep going with it. We never questioned Coach. We just took what role he gave us and played our best. I mean, we won three national championships in four years. You can’t complain.”
Johnson will join two former Alabama teammates in Kansas City: cornerbacks Javier Arenas and DeQuan Menzie.
“Their defense is similar to what we run at Alabama,” Johnson said. “It’ll be a little easier for me.”
Johnson has never even visited Kansas City, but he already has an impression that reminds him of Alabama.
“Kansas City fans are showing their support already,” he said. “I can’t wait.”

Rasputin
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
I like his attitude.

Wait he is just a run stopper for a passing league lol

At least he admits he wants to prove he is more than a run stopper, I think that is good attitude.

Dave Lane
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Boring puff piece is boring.

notorious
05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
"Chip on my shoulder" is overused.

Just go out and do what linebackers are supposed to do: Blow Shit Up.

Rasputin
05-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Just go out and do what linebackers are supposed to do: Blow Shit Up.

Like this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JxR7RYuF2fU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dante84
05-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Doritos Salsa Verde?

Mmm

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Sounds like he needs to fire his agent.

Bootlegged
05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
He's not a QB. Alex Smith sucks. /bitchyfan

BlackHelicopters
05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Can he throw a one-yard dump off to DMC?

Dayze
05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
he will be a good contributor for sure. you don't play/start for Saban and put up with his shit if you're not physically and mentally able to handle it.

RealSNR
05-01-2013, 07:48 AM
You might need to see a doctor for that, Nico. Could be a tumor.

trang1980
05-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Úp phụ nè................. nhớ úp lại nha pro, cám ơn hehehehehheeh.........

Molitoth
05-01-2013, 08:14 AM

This.

I'm sick of hearing it.

CaliforniaChief
05-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Agreed, I hate cliches.

That said, we learned one thing from the article. Nico Johnson might just be a three-down linebacker, it's just that 'Bama is so stacked with talent that they could specialize and pull him in passing situations.

And really, every down is a passing situation in the NFL. I think he's a good pick for the 4th round.

Dayze
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
c'mon guys. I'm sure he'll give us a 110%, and take things one play at a time.

big nasty kcnut
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
It could be worst they could of used bitch on his shoulder

Molitoth
05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
c'mon guys. I'm sure he'll give us a 110%, and take things one play at a time.

Nico is a great player across the board.
I'm not upset over the pick in any way, shape, or form.
Teaching him will be a process.

/Todd Haley

keg in kc
05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Reid mentioned (pretty vehemently) in his interview with Petro Monday that they expect him to be more of a 3-down player here.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
we didn't talk to him at all?

not that big of a deal i guess but i would prefer that they talk to the draft picks if they are going to take them

loochy
05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Player says he has a chip on his shoulder.

Coach Reid comes along searching for chips on player's shoulder. Nom nom nom.

buddha
05-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Nico's going to be good. He is my favorite pick from this year's draft. His point about Saban and how he substitutes at Bama was very revealing

dtebbe
05-01-2013, 09:14 AM
I heard he did it all in practices at the Senior Bowl. I think he's going to turn out to be a fine player.

DT

The Franchise
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wMaqHULeaDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fairplay
05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
we didn't talk to him at all?

not that big of a deal i guess but i would prefer that they talk to the draft picks if they are going to take them

Reid was interviewed he said that they gave Nick Saben a call before the second day of the draft started and talked about him as a player, he said him and Dorsey were high on the kid.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Reid was interviewed he said that they gave Nick Saben a call before the second day of the draft started and talked about him as a player, he said him and Dorsey were high on the kid.

The coach is going to be pretty homerish in their evaluation imo

They benefit from having players drafted

just sayin'

i like Nico ... just surprised they didn't talk to him

58-4ever
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
SOMEONE PRESS THE ENTER KEY. THAT SHIT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO READ.

Chiefnj2
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Today, the Senior Bowl website features his evaluations of the South's linebackers.

The South went with five linebackers for most of the Senior Bowl practices -- Porter, Missouri's Zaviar Gooden, Alabama's Nico Johnson, Stanford's Chase Thomas and Florida State's Vince Williams.

Southern Miss' Jamie Collins hurt his hamstring in the first practice, and although he attended the rest of the practices, he didn't participate in the drills. South Alabama's Jake Johnson was brought in to replace Collins, but he was injured in his first practice. Phillip Steward of Houston came in, but got into only the walk-through and the game.

Savage liked not only Porter's ability, but his diverse background: "Sean played outside linebacker at Texas A&M as a junior in their 3-4. In 2012, he transitioned to an off-the-line OLB in the Aggies' new 4-3. Because of those experiences, he brings versatility to the table and should have value to almost every team in the league."

The three outside linebackers - Porter, Gooden and Thomas - were rated ahead of the two inside linebackers - Johnson and Williams.

"Like the fullbacks on offense, the pure inside linebacker is disappearing in many ways at the college and pro level," Savage wrote in his evaluation of Johnson, who starred at Andalusia High School.

Johnson's future may come down to his speed: "He has excellent leadership skills and is vocal as a signal-caller. The question will be does he have enough burst and is he fast enough to help on special teams as a backup linebacker."

Savage spent 20 years in the NFL as a coach, scout, executive and general manager. His evaluations are based only on the Senior Bowl practices. The Senior Bowl was played in Mobile on Jan. 26.

Savage rated the South linebackers in this order (listed with comments from his evaluation):

Sean Porter, Texas A&M: "He has the acceleration to knife through a backside opening and make a tackle from off the ball and the same burst to rush the QB from the line-of-scrimmage. ... Sean should have a chance to contribute as a rookie in specific roles on both defense and special teams. He has speed, toughness and functional instincts, all of which will help him potentially start in the future."

Zaviar Gooden, Missouri: "Zaviar demonstrated the most speed of all the linebackers with his noticeable burst and hustle. He is an ideal fit as a Will in the 4-3 because of his ability to scrape over the top and chase the football down from the backside. ... He elevated his stock in Mobile and the rise should continue at the Combine, where he will run extremely fast."

Chase Thomas, Stanford: "Chase lined up as a 'box' and on-the-line outside linebacker on the South defense. Because of that flexibility and his size to play special teams, he should be able to make a team and most likely secure a backup role during his career."

Nico Johnson, Alabama: "Nico really understands how to fit against the run game and showed up at the football on numerous occasions in the 9-on-7 and team-run periods. In zone coverage, he displayed enough awareness to read patterns and react to the football, but will probably end up as a run-down defender in the NFL."

ptlyon
05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
So... We Savaged the draft with the Johnson pick?

ChiefaRoo
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I've got a big chip on my shoulder,' says new Kansas City Chiefs LB Nico Johnson (http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/04/ive_got_a_big_chip_on_my_shoul.html)
Don Kausler Jr.

on April 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM, updated April 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama – In the months, weeks and then days leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft, Nico Johnson talked to most teams in the league. Practically all of them, in fact.
“Kansas City was probably the only team that I didn’t talk to,” the former Alabama linebacker said Tuesday by phone from Andalusia.
So after he slept in Saturday, he showered.
“I was just waking up,” Johnson said. “As soon as I turned the TV on, my name popped up and my phone rang.”
The Chiefs were calling to tell him that they had selected him with the second pick in the fourth round. Johnson was the 99th player drafted overall.
“I was shocked that they drafted me, but I’m thankful,” he said. “All of my stress went away. At least somebody believed in me. I just can’t wait to showcase what I can do.”
Three days later, Johnson said the news that he’s a pro football player still is soaking in.
“Now I’ve got the mindset that I want to go out and earn everything that was given to me,” he said. “I have to earn respect from my new teammates and coaches. I’m just grateful for the opportunity to play for the Kansas City Chiefs.”
When he reports next Thursday for rookie minicamp, the Chiefs might think he’s already wearing shoulder pads.
“I’ve got a big chip on my shoulder,” said Johnson, who was typecast as a run-stopper at Alabama because he was replaced by C.J. Mosley in passing situations. “It was already there before the end of the season. I can’t wait. I’m so motivated right now to go out and do my best, a whole lot more than what people think.”
Johnson is eager to prove he isn’t one-dimensional.
“The way Coach runs the system here at Alabama, I was labeled just as a run-stopper, not a pass coverage guy,” he said, referring to Nick Saban. “He always took me out on pass coverage.
‘I can’t worry about what people thought of me. It’s kind of motivated me to continue to get better, no matter what. You’re always going to have those naysayers. That just adds wood to the fire.”
There was only one bad thing about playing at Alabama, Johnson said.
“You have so much talent, and Coach knows how to get the best players on the field at the right time,” he said. “You’ve just got to take it and keep going with it. We never questioned Coach. We just took what role he gave us and played our best. I mean, we won three national championships in four years. You can’t complain.”
Johnson will join two former Alabama teammates in Kansas City: cornerbacks Javier Arenas and DeQuan Menzie.
“Their defense is similar to what we run at Alabama,” Johnson said. “It’ll be a little easier for me.”
Johnson has never even visited Kansas City, but he already has an impression that reminds him of Alabama.
“Kansas City fans are showing their support already,” he said. “I can’t wait.”

I hope to see him crush Manning's soul next fall. Don't be so jaded guys. It's refreshing to hear a kid so fired up. I love it.

Fairplay
05-01-2013, 10:29 AM

just sayin'

I agree with you, I'm thinking that pre-draft it almost impossible to sit down with more then 40-50 of these kids. Nico was on the board so they gave Saben a call. Hopefully between respectable coaches they were be frank with each other on what they think of the player minus the homerism.

Demonpenz
05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Bone Chips in his shoulder? Great he is already a broke dick.

ReynardMuldrake
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Úp phụ nè................. nhớ úp lại nha pro, cám ơn hehehehehheeh.........

Cút mẹ mày đi với một cây AIDS.

Fat Elvis
05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Player says he has a chip on his shoulder.

Coach Reid comes along searching for chips on player's shoulder. Nom nom nom.

Fisher had a sandwich on his shoulder.

listopencil
05-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Good thing he's not in a zombie leper colony, I guess.

philfree
05-05-2013, 08:36 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Nico-Johnson-Im-Ready-to-Make-a-Difference/8a590411-d7a1-4f3c-a4f8-2f19195b2779

Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey said the 2013 NFL draft class will help address team needs, heading into the 2013 season.

One such draft pick was Alabama LB Nico Johnson, who was selected by the Chiefs in the fourth round.

Johnson left Alabama with his third BCS title win, helping the Crimson Tide defeat Notre Dame 42-14. His senior campaign included five starts, while playing in all 13 games, finishing fourth on the team with 55 tackles. He also forced two fumbles and broke up a pass.

The rookie linebacker has a head start when trying to grasp Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton's 3-4 scheme, thanks to his four-year run in Tuscaloosa.

“I am familiar with their defense as far as what they run, because they run something similar to what we run at Alabama," said Nico Johnson during a post-draft conference call. "I’m just ready to get there and learn as much as possible..... and try to earn their respect as much as possible....I’m ready to get to the next level and make a difference.”

Chiefs CB DeQuan Menzie is a former teammate of Johnson's at Alabama and has high expectations for the rookie linebacker.

"(I) Expect a lot," said Menzie. "He’s smart, he’s a good tackler, he’s vocal; he’s going to bring everything to the table. Everything you ask of him, he’s going to bring it."

Known as a hard-hitting LB, Johnson's personality is much different when not on the gridiron.

"He’s kind of quiet, chill, until you come up and talk to him. He’s very humble," Menzie said.

But once the chin strap is buckled, it's an Incredible Hulk-like transformation.

"Loud, thumper," Menzie added. "He’s just going to tackle everything."

There were three Alabama Crimson Tide players on the Chiefs 2013 roster, until earlier this week, when the team traded CB Javier Arenas to the Arizona Cardinals.

Regardless, both Menzie and Nico Johnson believe that Alabama prepares its players for the next level.

"It says a lot," Menzie said of Alabama. "It says that we’ve been put in a perfect situation. We had a great coach, coach (Nick) Saban, who puts us in the best position to be successful."

Johnson agreed.

"I am just thankful that I went through the program with coach [Nick] Saban and coach [Kirby] Smart," Johnson stated. "It prepared me very well. I feel like I am a step ahead of the guys and I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity.”

DeQuan Menzie speaks very highly of Nick Saban and sees the same qualities in Chiefs head coach Andy Reid.

"Great coach," Menzie said. "He treats everybody the same. He treats everybody with respect, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been here, one year or ten years, he’s going to treat you the same."

More than coaches, Nick Saban and Andy Reid are friends, who chatted before the Chiefs selected Nico Johnson (99th overall).

“I had a chance to talk with (Alabama head coach) Nick Saban this morning about him before we picked him," coach Reid said during the draft. "Nick felt very good about him. He said he (Johnson) was one of the tougher guys on his football team, he was one of the leaders on the football team. And you know, we’re talking about a national championship football team. He used him in the first and second down area; he said he’s a big man who can move. He (runs) about a 4.7 40-yard dash and at 253 pounds, that’s a big guy."

Chiefs fans are hoping Johnson's size, speed and championship pedigree lead to more defensive stops and ultimately wins for their team in 2013.
----------

An immediate upgrade.

Simplicity
05-05-2013, 09:02 AM

just sayin'

and you don't think Nico wouldn't be "homer-ish" about himself...? lolwut?