PDA

View Full Version : Sporting KC Mellinger: Sporting is a microcosm of what Major League Soccer wants to be.

|Zach|
05-07-2013, 09:43 PM
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/07/4223987/sporting-is-a-microcosm-of-what.html

Don Garber is sitting at the head of a long table in a big conference room talking about the future of his league. The commissioner of Major League Soccer could be here all day, really. This is his passion. His life. What he’ll be remembered for.

Growing soccer in America is a tricky proposition, of course. For most of the last 30 years, soccer has always been The Next Big Thing, but always next, not yet now. There are signs that this is changing. Slowly. Subtly. Without the major party-crashing of our country’s so-called established major pro sports — football, baseball, basketball and hockey — and even if that label needs updating, it’s a bit irrelevant to Garber’s vision of a bigger MLS.

Stop comparing his league to the NBA, NHL or major-league baseball. In terms of what Garber is trying to do, you might as well be talking about the movies or Angry Birds. Garber’s league is focused on converting non-MLS soccer fans, not nonsoccer sports fans.

“One-hundred percent focus is converting global soccer fans to MLS fans,” Garber says. “When that happens, and the market is bigger, then we can go after the (nonsoccer) sports fan.”

Garber cites World Cup television ratings among the factors that say America has enough soccer fans already to grow MLS into a much more popular league. And actually, Garber has a good model for what he’s talking about.

You can see it here Wednesday night, when Sporting Kansas City plays Seattle in front of another sellout crowd at Sporting Park.

This long-term growth strategy for the league is awfully similar to what Sporting has done and continues to work on: grow a passionate fan base through those who already like soccer, then let that energy bring in fans of other sports who will get behind the local team.

In this way, MLS’s model is already working in Kansas City.

“Oh, yes,” says Howard Handler, chief marketing officer for MLS. “Definitely.”

Sporting’s ascension from circus sideshow playing awkward games crammed into a minor-league baseball stadium to a worthy member of the major local sports scene packing a gorgeous new stadium may have started when European power Manchester United played the then-Wizards at Arrowhead Stadium three years ago.

It was a preseason game for Man U, which wasn’t playing its best roster, but it was still a monumental day for the local soccer team. Many of the 55,000 or so fans were wearing Man U red, but once the game got going and the Wizards took the lead, you could feel the energy shift.

Those were non-MLS soccer fans switching sides, and there are always more factors involved than the obvious, but Kansas City’s MLS team took a big step forward that day.

In the three years since, Sporting has essentially lived a microcosm of the growth strategy Garber describes for the entire league — a process he says might take a decade or more.

Through a wicked combination of rebranding, surgically targeted marketing, a beautiful new stadium and — most importantly — a winning team, Sporting has crashed the local sports scene and become what Garber has repeatedly called the league’s greatest success story.

The club took momentum from the Man U game and continued to convert non-MLS soccer fans with World Cup watch parties and other events. Boulevard and Grinders are on the in-stadium menu; pregames often include live music outside. That’s part of specific marketing toward a young and hip demographic, hopefully convincing them that Sporting is a local team worth their time and money.

Nearly 20,000 fans are at every game, and it’s hard not to wonder how many of them even know this team used to be called the Wizards? That it played games at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, and before that Arrowhead Stadium?

Sporting doesn’t have empirical data on this, but there’s overwhelming circumstantial and anecdotal evidence to suggest the long-term MLS model is playing out here already. You can find a lot of global soccer fans in the Cauldron, and other twenty-somethings at Sporting Park.

That makes for a live atmosphere, and has helped attract more casual fans to the scene. This includes — Garber’s end-goal here — sports fans who haven’t been interested in soccer but want to be at the party and cheer on the local team. The team used to print off lyrics for chants. Now they’re all done by the fans. Sporting has invested in bringing those fans back, with an oversized video board and powerful sound system that makes the stadium feel bigger than it actually is.

Toronto was the first MLS team to target this younger demographic in this way; Sporting has been among the most successful. Every game this season is expected to be sold out. The club has a season-ticket waiting list. There has been talk of expanding the stadium in the next four or five years. Sporting debuted a black and argyle kit during their last home game and sold more jerseys at halftime than they did in entire seasons back in the day.

This is the outcome Garber wants to see in every MLS market, and in so many ways, Sporting has written the playbook. The hopeful future of the MLS plays out in real time here in Kansas City.

Titty Meat
05-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Soccer sucks

Deberg_1990
05-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Royals and Chiefs have sucked for years....Sporting is good. It was like a perfect storm of circumstances for them.

|Zach|
05-07-2013, 09:57 PM
All Star game is in KC this year...July 31st.

http://www.pitch.com/binary/68c8/1367855284-2013_at_t_mls_all-star_game.jpg

|Zach|
05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Royals and Chiefs have sucked for years....Sporting is good. It was like a perfect storm of circumstances for them.

Possibly. Obviously Sporting Park is filled with a lot of Royals and Chiefs fans because this is Kansas City but it is interesting how many soccer fans it has brought out that give zero fucks about either of those teams whether they are good or bad. Surprising at times.

FloridaMan88
05-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Figures that KC is the gold standard in a sports league that 5 people actually care about.

|Zach|
05-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Figures that KC is the gold standard in a sports league that 5 people actually care about.

More people at the Sporting game on Sunday than Royals game. Just say'n.

Baby Lee
05-07-2013, 10:42 PM
More people at the Sporting game on Sunday than Royals game. Just say'n.

And WAY more than at Arrowhead last Sunday. ROFL ROFL

DaFace
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I wish the MLS well. I've been to a handful of Rapids games and had a good time. I just have a terrible time with watching it on TV at home. I keep hoping there will be enough momentum around it with people I know to really get into it.

Stanley Nickels
05-07-2013, 10:44 PM
They've got to get Grinder's off the menu; that place sucks, and Stretch --a misnomer if ever there was one-- is a grade-A douchebag.

Prison Bitch
05-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Hope they do well. Soccers not my thing but I do watch some of the World Cup. One hurdle te league would have is the knowledge everyone has that the best players are in the best leagues and hence not here. I saw Kamera(?) came back after not working out in EPL so fans intuitively know this is a AAA farm system type deal. Our other leagues are the clear best in the world

|Zach|
05-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I wish the MLS well. I've been to a handful of Rapids games and had a good time. I just have a terrible time with watching it on TV at home. I keep hoping there will be enough momentum around it with people I know to really get into it.

I wish the Rapids had a better ownership group.

DaFace
05-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I wish the Rapids had a better ownership group.

Heh...I'm an Avs fan. I know.

TLO
05-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Quit flaunting your asshole |douche|. It's disgusting.

|Zach|
05-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Heh...I'm an Avs fan. I know.

Having said that I had an insanely fun weekend in Denver a few years ago for the first leg of the playoffs when KC and Colorado played.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iG3syyJ4s1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starting at 4:29 Julio Cesar made an incredible and perfect pass to Bunbury who finished it in just the right spot. Great memories.

AussieChiefsFan
05-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Soccer suckshttp://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/shut-whore-mouth.gif

Kidd Lex
05-08-2013, 05:47 AM
I've always been an MLB, NFL, college basketball guy, but this year I bought SKC tickets with my brothers and a close buddy and we have absolutely caught the bug. MLS may not be the best brand on the planet, but the games are entertaining as hell and the atmosphere is like none other in sports. I'm definitely re-upping next year, and the local ownership is actually in it to win it. Gasp!! Can you imagine?!

BlackHelicopters
05-08-2013, 06:00 AM

That many?

Agent V
05-08-2013, 06:18 AM

Are you delusional?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Great article. I love seeing it in KC. Seattle was super hyped over the Sounders, and I think it's an interesting model that they allow their fans to vote on keeping the coach and GM at the end of every year. I'd love to see Soccer jump up. I think it already has. I mean shit, are we really saying the NHL is more popular in this country right now over MLS? That would shock the ever living fuck out of me.

J Diddy
05-08-2013, 06:29 AM

This is the part where I would normally call you stupid, however, that is too harsh. I'm going to say illiterate because printed in the article above was this:

Sporting has been among the most successful. Every game this season is expected to be sold out. The club has a season-ticket waiting list.

J Diddy
05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Great article. I love seeing it in KC. Seattle was super hyped over the Sounders, and I think it's an interesting model that they allow their fans to vote on keeping the coach and GM at the end of every year. I'd love to see Soccer jump up. I think it already has. I mean shit, are we really saying the NHL is more popular in this country right now over MLS? That would shock the ever living **** out of me.

I never got hockey's allure. Perhaps it was growing up in an area that didn't have any way to play hockey. However, I can follow soccer because I've played it and actually have an idea of what's going on.

DaFace
05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Great article. I love seeing it in KC. Seattle was super hyped over the Sounders, and I think it's an interesting model that they allow their fans to vote on keeping the coach and GM at the end of every year. I'd love to see Soccer jump up. I think it already has. I mean shit, are we really saying the NHL is more popular in this country right now over MLS? That would shock the ever living fuck out of me.

It probably depends on what part of the country you're in and how you define it. There are only 19 MLS teams in the country, meaning that a lot of the country doesn't even have a team to root for. KC is also VERY atypical from what I can tell. If you watch games in a lot of other stadiums, they're far from sold out.

As for the definition of what is more popular, I think I read that MLS average attendance was higher than NHL and NBA attendance last year, but that's like using the fact that NFL games have higher average attendance than MLB games to claim that the NFL is more popular than the MLB.

On the other hand, you can't really use TOTAL attendance either since that would have the opposite effect. My guess is total attendance for an NHL team rivals total attendance of an NFL team, but that's because hockey teams play 82 games per year.

Really, about the best way to do it would be to just conduct a national poll about it, and it's probably not worth anyone paying money to do it.

DaFace
05-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I googled around a bit, and here's an article about just such a poll in 2011. Things may have shifted slightly since then, but it ranked the most popular "favorite" sports as:

1. Pro football - 31%
2. Baseball - 17%
3. College football - 12%
4. Auto racing - 7%
5. Men's pro basketball - 6%
6. Hockey - 5%
7. Men's soccer - 4%

If I were to guess, I'd say that soccer and hockey are probably in a statistical dead heat. However, (as the OP alluded to), I'd bet that the NHL is still quite a bit more popular than MLS since many "men's soccer" fans are primarily fans of international teams rather than MLS teams.

tredadda
05-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Are you delusional?

That's the norm here. Anything positive about SKC ends up with a few having to talk about how soccer sucks, no one cares etc......

tredadda
05-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Hope they do well. Soccers not my thing but I do watch some of the World Cup. One hurdle te league would have is the knowledge everyone has that the best players are in the best leagues and hence not here. I saw Kamera(?) came back after not working out in EPL so fans intuitively know this is a AAA farm system type deal. Our other leagues are the clear best in the world

This will continue to be the case for a while as the MLS continues to grow their fanbase and their homegrown talent. The key is to draw larger crowds where they do play and try to keep the top American players. Then they need to poach the top Mexican league for their stars since we can pay them more. If it continues to grow the MLS could eventually go after the top players in the world. Something like that though is many, many years away.

teedubya
05-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't really like or follow soccer... but the SKC experience is amazing at Sporting Park. It's really incredible, actually.

|Zach|
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Breaking down a KC goal.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oz_6eU42IrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
05-08-2013, 01:17 PM
The calls from a Spanish broadcast crack me up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gM8KovDJeBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1yaGPDgyGZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
05-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I watched an entire broadcast in spanish Chivas vs Galaxy. It was pretty entertaining.

Demonpenz
05-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Also the announcer prenounced "BRADLEY COOPER" in perfect english.

KCTitus
05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I like soccer, probably my second favorite sport. I have to say, however, that the MLS (or American) brand is nearly unwatchable on TV. Now that Fox Soccer allows me to follow the Premier League in Britain, I have really enjoyed watching the last season.

I think it comes down to the different styles of play. The American style is still too much of the cannon leg from the fullbacks praying their one striker can catch up to the ball and maybe get a score. There's no possession or midfield play like the European brand of soccer. I think the American brand doesnt have enough speed, midfield possession or finishing. We just dont have many good strikers and those that are, typically play in Britain.

The worst style, to me, is the Latin American style, it's cheap shots, flopping and anything to get the other team to give up a cheap goal. Given that the German leagues seem to have the best teams in UEFA, I wish I could catch more German league games.

Maybe its the fact that the biggest and fastest athletes in America dont play soccer, but they really dont work the ball like the Europeans do.

That said, kudos to KC for having the cream of the crop in MLS. At least there's one winning franchise in KC.