PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mike Catapano reminds me of Jared Allen.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Against the inferior competition of the Ivy League, sure (albeit an Ivy League where he racked up 12 sacks and was the league's DPOTY), but nonetheless.

Dismissing him because of his league would fit in with conventional wisdom, but we know that the best college passrushers are almost always (a.) prolific in their last year, (b.) have a good weight/speed/strength combo, and (c.) have a good wingspan, preferably 33" or longer.

Catapano was prolific last year with 12 sacks. 6'4", 271 lbs with 4.75 speed -- very nice. 33 reps, ridiculous. 33 3/4" arm length, more than adequate.

Plays a lot like Jared Allen. Not a lot of technique (was Allen ever a technique guy), total relentless mean streak. Combine that with his measurables, and we could be doing alright here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2GcdKCG5F8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UUY5pHKipgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Not this shit again..

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FZ2KDQPONFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlackHelicopters
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Sigh.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Thing is, I'm not sure he's a scheme fit.

He plays with both hands on the ground. Zero experience standing straight up.

Seems like somebody Reid would have drafted when he was running the Wide 9 in Philly.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Not nearly as quick off the snap

-King-
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
You should make a Direckshun repository thread where you post all this shit to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Was he a long snapper?

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Some oooooooold Catapano tape.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uug-lSo5-CM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Some workout stuff.

Always kinda like seeing it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fyocdm4R354" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oSAL4b8lwXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
You should make a Direckshun repository thread where you post all this shit to.
Posted via Mobile Device

You should make a prissy bitch repository thread where you can bitch about Direckshun instead of putting it in legitimate football threads that are hard to come by in the offseason.

JFC, people. On one hand people bitch about only bashing Alex Smith/Reid/Dorsey. On the other hand, when somebody posts football threads, it's not good because they just so happen to do it too much.

-King-
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
You should make a prissy bitch repository thread where you can bitch about Direckshun instead of putting it in legitimate football threads that are hard to come by in the offseason.

JFC, people. On one hand people bitch about only bashing Alex Smith/Reid/Dorsey. On the other hand, when somebody posts football threads, it's not good because they just so happen to do it too much.

And you're adding so much to the topic. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
My comment was more directed toward comparing this dude to an All Pro. We've already got a Black Wes and TD/Bo Jackson combo to look forward to.

The Franchise
05-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Thing is, I'm not sure he's a scheme fit.

He plays with both hands on the ground. Zero experience standing straight up.

Seems like somebody Reid would have drafted when he was running the Wide 9 in Philly.

Well......he'll have a year to figure out if he can stand up or not. I see him being brought in nickle and dime packages for the first year anyways.

Ceej
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Do you have a full time job, Direckshun?

buddha
05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
And you're adding so much to the topic. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR is right...either add something football related or STFU.

I see similarities between Mike and Jared. The more of you see of Mike on the field and in workouts, the more you believe that he'll find a place on the field! Dude is hardcore...I don't care who he played against.

boogblaster
05-09-2013, 09:22 AM
we need all the help we can get on nickel paks .....

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Well......he'll have a year to figure out if he can stand up or not. I see him being brought in nickle and dime packages for the first year anyways.

As a down lineman? Maybe.

He needs to be able to contribute this year. He's the closest thing we have to an investment in this draft class in passrushing.

Hali and Houston need support.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Our nickel D:

Bailey
Poe
Catapano?

Hali
Houston
Johnson

Flowers
Smith
Robinson
Berry
Commings/Abdullah

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Our dime D:

Poe
Bailey

Hali
Houston
Johnson

Flowers
Smith
Robinson
Berry
Commings
Abdullah

The Franchise
05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

He needs to be able to contribute this year. He's the closest thing we have to an investment in this draft class in passrushing.

Well....I'm assuming that Reid and Dorsey believed that he could stand up in a 3-4 and not suck completely at it.....or they wouldn't have drafted him.

Titty Meat
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Not only will our late round picks make the team both will be pro bowlers!

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Well....I'm assuming that Reid and Dorsey believed that he could stand up in a 3-4 and not suck completely at it.....or they wouldn't have drafted him.

Maybe they view him as a specialty guy. Somebody who just plays on the 4-3 downs.

Halfcan
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
That highlight reel rocks. I love how he finishes his tackles by just leveling the QB full force- does not let up a bit. He could be the steal of the draft like Jared was. I saw every game Allen played at Arrowhead- man he could fire the crowd up like no other except DT. I still can't believe we let him walk. Worst move in chiefs history. And he proved it by getting more sacks the next year than our entire team. It will suck seeing him go into the HOF wearing freaking purple.

The Franchise
05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
That highlight reel rocks. I love how he finishes his tackles by just leveling the QB full force- does not let up a bit. He could be the steal of the draft like Jared was. I saw every game Allen played at Arrowhead- man he could fire the crowd up like no other except DT. I still can't believe we let him walk. Worst move in chiefs history. And he proved it by getting more sacks the next year than our entire team. It will suck seeing him go into the HOF wearing freaking purple.

We didn't let him walk. We got Albert and Charles out of it.

DJ's left nut
05-09-2013, 09:43 AM
He looks like he could support a little more weight; 290ish? His arms are a little longer that his height, but I wonder if he has the length to play DE.

Not a 2-gap style, but maybe a little like Marcus Spears and Kenyon Coleman were playing in Dallas.

He may lose too much speed trying to do that and it doesn't seem like burst off the ball is a huge strength. All that said, a high energy guy with a premier size/speed combination should absolutely be able to make a positive contribution on STs if nothing else. That's a decent use of a 7th rounder even if that's all he amounts to.

DenverChief
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
A wing span of 2'9"? So T-Rex arms are good?

The Franchise
05-09-2013, 09:49 AM
A wing span of 2'9"? So T-Rex arms are good?

Arm length.....not wingspan.

DenverChief
05-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Arm length.....not wingspan.

;) sarcasm

The Franchise
05-09-2013, 09:52 AM
;) sarcasm

Fuck you. LMAO

DenverChief
05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
**** you. LMAO

BTW wingspan is equal to height so a guy with 33" arm length will typically be 66" in height = 5'6" which is no Bueno for a defensive lineman

DJ's left nut
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
BTW wingspan is equal to height so a guy with 33" arm length will typically be 66" in height = 5'6" which is no Bueno for a defensive lineman

Sure.

If he doesn't have a torso.

nychief
05-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Jared Allen is going to the Hall of Fame... Can we stop this shit?

Sandy Vagina
05-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Was a big fan of Catapano as a prospect, so I like that KC picked him up. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been drafted much earlier. From other KC forums, it was stated that he will probably get first looks as a rush LB and some Nickel rusher at DE. I think eventually he may be asked to bulk up and be a Justin Smith type, if he impresses enough. Hope the kid turns into a quality starter someday.

DJ's left nut
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
He does seem like a better fit as a 4-3 guy, the more I watch of him.

Kyle Vanden Bosch?

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Is there a remote chance of him lining up at outside lber? He doesn't seem fast enough off of the snap to me, but I am just spitballing here.

mcaj22
05-09-2013, 10:45 AM
if we had ****ing Wallace Gilberry, like we should have if this team wasnt run by bumbling idiots, then we would never have to draft some raw scrub like this who is essentially a poor mans Gilberry.

this guy isnt contributing this year, he was a fucking 7th round pick? Who is he going to be out at OLB? Zombo? Edgar Jones? Funny joke

Sorter
05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
My comment was more directed toward comparing this dude to an All Pro. We've already got a Black Wes and TD/Bo Jackson combo to look forward to.

Hey, we have a white Wes as well.

mcaj22
05-09-2013, 11:05 AM
remember when Cam Sheffield was suppose to be the next Osi Umenyiora because they went to the same school and played the same position

yea how did that homerism work out for you, about the same as trying to compare this nobody to Jared fucking Allen I assume

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
if we had ****ing Wallace Gilberry, like we should have if this team wasnt run by bumbling idiots, then we would never have to draft some raw scrub like this who is essentially a poor mans Gilberry.

Nonsense. Your late round draft picks are for acquiring the best talent you can, not for filling holes.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Draft a guy with decent potential and pass rush skills in the 7th and people still bitch. This place is pathetic sometimes.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
remember when Cam Sheffield was suppose to be the next Osi Umenyiora because they went to the same school and played the same position

I don't think there was ever serious consideration that Sheffield was going to become Umenyiora.

Maybe you're remembering differently than I am.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't think there was ever serious consideration that Sheffield was going to become Umenyiora.

Maybe you're remembering differently than I am.

He's being a whiny bitch again like usual.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
He's being a whiny bitch again like usual.

I understand. That's his role these days.

But that doesn't mean the conversation can't continue.

mcaj22
05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
i dont disagree with you about the pick, I like his measurables

what I dont like is being a full blown homer and comparing a 7th rounder that has and probably will do nothing, to a ****ing All Pro top 3 player in the NFL at his position.

It's just absurd. This happens every year. We should have had like 2 Wes Welkers by now in McCluster and Wylie and Eric Berry was suppose to be Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu and Dontari Poe was suppose to be Haloti Ngata and Tyson Jackson was Richard Seymour and Jon Baldwin was Vincent Jackson and Stanford Routt was Brandon Carr and Peyton Hillis was suppose to run for 1000 yards

its just completely unrealistic.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 11:27 AM

what I dont like is being a full blown homer and comparing a 7th rounder that has and probably will do nothing, to a ****ing All Pro top 3 player in the NFL at his position.

It's just absurd. This happens every year. We should have had like 2 Wes Welkers by now in McCluster and Wylie and Eric Berry was suppose to be Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu and Dontari Poe was suppose to be Haloti Ngata and Tyson Jackson was Richard Seymour and Jon Baldwin was Vincent Jackson and Stanford Routt was Brandon Carr and Peyton Hillis was suppose to run for 1000 yards

Yeah, I agree and stated that earlier. Big difference between that and acting like it was a dumb pick.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Comparing him to Jared Allen doesn't mean I believe that's what he'll become.

You're confusing comparing with projecting.

mcaj22
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
i didnt whine, I compared him to starting out as a poor mans Wallace Gilberry, that is completely realistic to expect out of this guy

make the team as a rotational player in the nickel, try him at standing or with his hands in the dirt slid in and best case scenario he gets 2 or 3 sacks and in one year equals Tyson Jackson in four years in sack totals (sad).

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I think Paul Kruger is a reasonable roof to expect out of him.

I know... they're both white guys. It's still a reasonable projection.

mcaj22
05-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Kruger is interesting because they had to groom him for like 3 years and fill out his frame and he was kind of raw, then when he finally broke out they had to let him walk anyway lol

RealSNR
05-09-2013, 02:01 PM

For fuck's sake. Comparing a player to an all-pro doesn't mean you're saying that player IS that all-pro.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
For fuck's sake. Comparing a player to an all-pro doesn't mean you're saying that player IS that all-pro.

Keep in mind, you are talking to the same dude that said if Pryor plays this year he'll be Russ Wilson

Hoover
05-09-2013, 02:11 PM
JA was what a 4th rounder?

Dave Lane
05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Against the inferior competition of the Ivy League, sure (albeit an Ivy League where he racked up 12 sacks and was the league's DPOTY), but nonetheless.

Dismissing him because of his league would fit in with conventional wisdom, but we know that the best college passrushers are almost always (a.) prolific in their last year, (b.) have a good weight/speed/strength combo, and (c.) have a good wingspan, preferably 33" or longer.

Catapano was prolific last year with 12 sacks. 6'4", 271 lbs with 4.75 speed -- very nice. 33 reps, ridiculous. 33 3/4" arm length, more than adequate.

Plays a lot like Jared Allen. Not a lot of technique (was Allen ever a technique guy), total relentless mean streak. Combine that with his measurables, and we could be doing alright here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2GcdKCG5F8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You just compare him to Allen because he's white.

I think you maybe a racist! LMAO

Eyemsougly
05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
In a draft pick I look mainly for production and workouts. If a guy has good production and he works out well, he might not be a decent player but if he has mediocre production and/or workouts he is virtually guaranteed to not amount to anything above replacement level.

Catapano is about as good a prospect you will find in the 7th round. The most important measurable for a pass rusher is vertical leap and his was 37.5 at his pro day at a weight of 271. He and Kush were great value picks. Other than the RB we got a great haul but obviously you don't really know for a couple of years.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Every tall white guy who's mildly athletic is reminiscent of Jared Allen.

BossChief
05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Remember Brian Johnston?

Haha

In58men
05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
I bet this clown created a thead stating "Chris Manno reminds me of Wes Welker"

keg in kc
05-09-2013, 03:32 PM
This is like bizarro world. The homers trash people who hate Alex Smith, and then turn around and trash those same people when they try to make positive takes about other players. I guess it's about the messenger and not the message. Shame, that.

nychief
05-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I think Paul Kruger is a reasonable roof to expect out of him.

I know... they're both white guys. It's still a reasonable projection.

that I could imagine.... I just don't think people appreciate how good JA is.

keg in kc
05-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't think he's saying he's Jared Allen reborn. I think he's saying that as an unheralded low round pick from a small (in football terms) school, and because of some physical similarities, Catapano reminds him of Allen. Which would I think be understandable for someone who follows the Chiefs drafts closely. And who knows what Catapano is going to be. At this point in Jared Allen's career, plenty of us were questioning whether he'd even make the roster as a rookie, or if he did, whether he'd ever do anything but long snap. So I'd say there's some similarities if you look at it in that sense, as well.

Dave Lane
05-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey if he works out I'm really happy for it. I hope this draft class goes in the history books as the only one with 5 HOF players in it. Its just looks like a mushy bag of shit at the moment.

O.city
05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Atleast looks to be a good special teamer

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2013, 04:18 PM
He could be Jared Allen, but it's more likely he's Brian Johnston.

mcaj22
05-09-2013, 04:47 PM
im guessing this years Gabe Miller

mlyonsd
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
He's got good vision tracking the ball.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2013, 05:38 PM
It's guaranteed now that this guy will suck.

JohnnyV13
05-09-2013, 05:40 PM

WTF are you talking about?

Jared Allen is VERY much a technique guy. Google the pass rushing article SI wrote about top sack artists and their moves a few years ago. Allen is cited as being a guy that can sack a QB with any of 4 different moves.

He was considered the best technician currently playing (around 2010).

Jared Allen is NOT gifted in edge speed. Allen is a leverage rusher. I remember him, b/c his bench press numbers were so low at the combine. I'm 5'7 and 170lbs and I could bench 225lbs more times than he did at the combine (at the time). Something like 13 reps.

When he got to camp, Dick Vermeil commented how "strong" Jared Allen was. The only way both of those things can be true is that Allen is VERY good at using balance and leverage. He's not bench press strong but he plays strong.

Note: Allen had 9 sacks as a rookie.

Direckshun
05-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Remember Brian Johnston?

Haha

ROFL

ROFL

ROFL

ChiefMojo
05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Honestly Catapano looks like a better prospect than Johnston and for God sake a lot better Gabe Miller. I never liked Miller's film coming out of Oregon State.

As mentioned, Jared Allen wasn't all-world coming out of college. So comparing Catapano to Allen coming out of college isn't unreasonable. Heck most of us didn't even expect Allen to amount to much entering his rookie season.

In the end if Catapano can turn into a quality back-up that is a good enough for me. Our depth at OLB isn't that good until proven otherwise.

SeeingRed
05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
WTF are you talking about?

Jared Allen is VERY much a technique guy. Google the pass rushing article SI wrote about top sack artists and their moves a few years ago. Allen is cited as being a guy that can sack a QB with any of 4 different moves.

He was considered the best technician currently playing (around 2010).

Jared Allen is NOT gifted in edge speed. Allen is a leverage rusher. I remember him, b/c his bench press numbers were so low at the combine. I'm 5'7 and 170lbs and I could bench 225lbs more times than he did at the combine (at the time). Something like 13 reps.

When he got to camp, Dick Vermeil commented how "strong" Jared Allen was. The only way both of those things can be true is that Allen is VERY good at using balance and leverage. He's not bench press strong but he plays strong.

Note: Allen had 9 sacks as a rookie.

Good points to bring up about Allen. He is a technique guy for sure. Catapano seems to be very coachable and actually sought out off season help on his own traveling to Chuck Smith's pass rushing camp in Georgia for a month in off season to improve his pass rushing (shows commitment). He dropped 20 lbs (from 290 to 270) learned technique from a pro pass rushing coach and more than doubled his sack total from Junior to Senior year missing all time single season Ivy League sack record by one sack and winning defensive player of the year in his league. That means something. Its quite obvious Catapano is a physical freak of nature, thats a LEAN and athletic 270 lbs! Has been reported to have an unmatched work ethic and a high ceiling, thats a good combo. Some more quality coaching and this guy may end up being the steal of this years draft. The writing is on the wall. The more you read about him the more intriguing he becomes.

BlackHelicopters
05-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Dude will be a training camp star, along with Baldwin.

Direckshun
05-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Catapano.

http://prod.images.chiefs.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/CHIEFS/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/clubimages/2013/05-May/temp08--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

Direckshun
05-12-2013, 10:41 PM
http://prod.images.chiefs.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/CHIEFS/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/clubimages/2013/05-May/tempSTV17289--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Direckshun
05-12-2013, 10:42 PM
http://prod.images.chiefs.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/CHIEFS/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/clubimages/2013/05-May/tempSTV17302--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

luv
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
I miss JA. I was going to marry him.

KChiefs1
05-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Dude should be smart.

Sorter
05-13-2013, 12:01 AM
I believe it was Nightfyre that was pimping this guy before the draft as a late round prospect.

ChiefAshhole20
05-13-2013, 01:25 AM
Good build, good stats, nice measurables, impressive motor/ work ethic, and an Ivy league background. I like him. Give him a year to let Tamba teach him some hand techniques, I'm sure he could develop into a nice pass rush option.

WhiteWhale
05-13-2013, 05:24 AM

Yes.

I have heard OT's compare him to Strahan, who was THE technique pass rusher of his generation.

Allen struggled (and still does) with discipline, but he wins with technique often.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Great motor, good measurables, very nice speed and strength. I like him. I hope he puts the necessary work in to be a great player. He has all it takes physically. And fuck everyone whining about D posting Chiefs threads. Step up your game and match him, or sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up. Christ. We need more John Goodman, and mod abuse threads. Retards.

buddha
05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Catapano is a MAN. I don't care where he went to school...he has a high motor, he's fast enough, and he's very, very strong. This guy is HARD like a bad ass marine. I don't care if he's Jared Allen or not...who cares? I'll bet a $50 Chiefs sweatshirt that he not only makes the team, but figures into playing time this season. That's what you call a great late round pick.