PDA

View Full Version : Life Student Stands up to Crappy Teacher

Pages : [1] 2

Bump
05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zAsTXtowZVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like this kid.

I already know the reaction it's gonna get here but oh well...

saphojunkie
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I fucking love this kid. I was showing it to anybody who'd listen yesterday.

Molitoth
05-10-2013, 11:56 AM
he nailed it! and he did so without a bunch of curse words.

(my wifes a teacher)

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Damn straight, kid.

Best teachers i ever had were passionate about what they did and it reflected on their students.

ct
05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
swear that guy posts on CP somewhere, prolly DC forum

Old Dog
05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I can't figure out how to +rep the kid, but kudos to him.

Pitt Gorilla
05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
He's right and his POV provides a good illustration of where reform mathematics is headed.

Donger
05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
I would think a little background on what was going on should be required before commending this young girl.

kcjayhawks5
05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
I hate packets

notorious
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Whenever a kid tries to explain "How to" to adults, I automatically roll my eyes.

I will remain a skeptic.

Buck
05-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Kid's dope.

alnorth
05-10-2013, 12:05 PM
I would think a little background on what was going on should be required before commending this young girl.

Same. I've known some troubled emotionally fragile kids, especially in high school, who make these stands for truth, righteousness, and justice with soaring rhetoric, but when you actually learn about what they are complaining about, you roll your eyes and think "ok, they've got problems".

The Franchise
05-10-2013, 12:06 PM

The kid had a problem with the way the teacher was making them prepare for the STARR test. She basically handed them a packet and told them to look over it.

NewChief
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
The teacher's passivity in the face of this kid's insubordination tells me all I need to know about the classroom.

I guarantee I would not sit behind my desk and keep repeating, "Okay. You can leave now" over and over if a kid was dressing me down like that in front of the class, even if the kid was right.

That being said, the kid is right that a teacher who does nothing but hand out packets and draw a paycheck is worthless.

Donger
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
The kid had a problem with the way the teacher was making them prepare for the STARR test. She basically handed them a packet and told them to look over it.

I don't know what a STARR test is.

Garcia Bronco
05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
The teacher's passivity in the face of this kid's insubordination tells me all I need to know about the classroom.

I guarantee I would not sit behind my desk and keep repeating, "Okay. You can leave now" over and over if a kid was dressing me down like that in front of the class, even if the kid was right.

That being said, the kid is right that a teacher who does nothing but hand out packets and draw a paycheck is worthless.

Best post in thread.

CrazyPhuD
LMAO

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/duncanville-high-teacher-on-leave-after-student-viral-video-rant/?_device=full

ModSocks

Yup. I've been a student in "that" classroom before. Students feed off the energy of the teacher. If you care, they will care. If you don't give a shit, come in and act like a substitute and just hand out packets, the kids won't give a shit either.

notorious
05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
18 year old sophomore.

ROFL

alnorth
05-10-2013, 12:19 PM
18 year old sophomore.

ROFL

Missed that little detail. My "this kid probably has problems" meter is now pinging.

beach tribe
05-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks for ruining it for me notorious.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Missed that little detail. My "this kid probably has problems" meter is now pinging.

Doesn't change anything imo.

gblowfish
05-10-2013, 12:22 PM
My high school biology teacher was also our head football coach. On Monday, he'd put a overhead projector slide up on the front board, that had a part of the body, like anatomy. On Tuesday Wed and Thursday, we'd watch game film for the upcoming opponent. On Friday, one of the secretaries from the office would give us a quiz, with the same drawing of the body part, and we'd have to identify all the parts. Coach was busy in the locker room getting ready for that night's game.

Donger
05-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm a little curious about the lack of response from the other kids in the room. Not a peep?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:23 PM
i'm not really surprised at the flock of fucking retarded idiots who think that this is acceptable to :

1) speak to elders like this
2)speak to authority figure like this
3)speak to a teacher like this
4)behave in public like this
5)handle conflict in an outburst, rather than 1 on 1
6)use 'fricken' repeatedly, in classroom
7)behave aggressively
8)disregard an order to leave

Obviously you are all products of the pussification of our country. When I was in school, this may have been cause for getting permanently removed from whatever class that was...

Anyone that thinks this kid 'did the right thing' (despite whether he may be factually correct that packets suck) is a part of the fucking problem and not the solution.

Good luck with your shitty jobs and lives in the trailer park.

beach tribe
I ****ing love this kid. I was showing it to anybody who'd listen yesterday.

Ill bet you missed the fact that hes an 18 yr old sophomore and has basically zero chance of actually graduating considering he still hasnt figured out how to STFD n STFU.

alnorth

Sure it does. Its one thing to have this great, overly-dramatic outburst over not having more time to prepare for an annual state-mandated standardized test, but if this dude is a long-haired dropout now back in school as a sophomore, he's probably an emotionally troubled loser.

Stewie
05-10-2013, 12:24 PM
18 year old sophomore.

ROFL

In Texas that's usually reserved for hopeful parents thinking their kid will grow into their football bodies.

alnorth
I'm a little curious about the lack of response from the other kids in the room. Not a peep?

Probably a lot of "oh, God" and rolling eyes.

CrazyPhuD
18 year old sophomore.

ROFL

The kids different for sure...but it seemed that dropping out may have actually taught him an appreciation for education...which may explain why he's more passionate about it. May not have been the best move but if you learn from it...:shrug:

In it, Bliss unloads on his instructor's teaching style — specifically critical of her passing out worksheets rather than creating lively and engaging discussions.
Bliss' mother is a teacher at another large district in North Texas.
The 18-year-old is currently a sophomore because he dropped out of school for a year. Only then did he discover the value of education.
"What I soon realized is without that education I'm not going to make any steps forward into my future," he said.
Bliss said he didn't know a classmate recorded his rant, but he's not embarrassed about what he said.

beach tribe
05-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Dude probably gets thrown out of class on the regular.

Donger
05-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Probably a lot of "oh, God" and rolling eyes.

Yeah, I would think that if his opinion was valid, there would have been a few whistles or cheers. Silence.

Old Dog
05-10-2013, 12:26 PM

I concur as it doesn't tell WHY he dropped out previously

beach tribe
05-10-2013, 12:26 PM
The kids different for sure...but it seemed that dropping out may have actually taught him an appreciation for education...which may explain why he's more passionate about it. May not have been the best move but if you learn from it...:shrug:

Or his mom was going to throw him out on his ass if he didnt go back to school.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I would think that if his opinion was valid, there would have been a few whistles or cheers. Silence.

not only was there silence you can hear a few of the students calling his name(i think) like, just leave already

his gang name is scorpion lol (:57)

kcxiv
05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
18 year old sophomore.

ROFL

He didnt go to school. He was turning his life around and trying to go back to learn and when he got there, the teacher was a fucking lame duck!

I went through alot of bullshit in highschool mostly me being an idiot and i barely went half the time to class lol Then i got my shit together and it took me an extra year and i did it! Hell,i went to class maybe 2 and a half years out of the 5 and still graduated, but i had to bust my ass the 5th year to even do that! i was going to night classes 5 times a week outside of regular class. lol

Donger
05-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Bliss said he didn't know a classmate recorded his rant, but he's not embarrassed about what he said.

Oh, so he's a liar too. He clearly sees the person holding up their phone.

MahiMike
05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know how teachers do it these days. I could only teach with the swat board. Anyone remember those? You acted like that kid and you got a swat with a big thick wooden board.

notorious
05-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for ruining it for me notorious.

:D

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know how teachers do it these days.

especially with this generation of ****s who think this behavior is normal, and call to support theior douche bag children when they 'stand up to the man' like this & get punished.

Does anyone really wonder why this country is turning into shit?

If you behaved this way at work, you would get fired.

Fairplay
05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
i have a bowl and scissors to give him a free haircut

kcxiv
Ill bet you missed the fact that hes an 18 yr old sophomore and has basically zero chance of actually graduating considering he still hasnt figured out how to STFD n STFU.

Man, they will give you every chance to graduate if you show you got your shit together! I know this, because i did it.

They will work with you and in many cases go out of their way to help you out as long as you put in the work and it shows. I had to go in front of the school board and tell them, my bullshit past was over, they gave me the ok and i did it.

ModSocks
Sure it does. Its one thing to have this great, overly-dramatic outburst over not having more time to prepare for an annual state-mandated standardized test, but if this dude is a long-haired dropout now back in school as a sophomore, he's probably an emotionally troubled loser.

He very well might be an emotionally troubled loser, but that imo, doesn't devalue what he said.

One of my first jobs coming out of HS was as a Teacher's assistant in a Juvenile Court School.

The school was obviously full of troubled teens, but i got to see first hand how they responded to certain teaching styles.

These kids need even more attention and better teachers than your standard student. The kids in my classes (i bounced from teacher to teacher) had great respect and responded very well to passionate teachers.

We had a particular teacher named Jeff, and all the students called him by his first name. And he was a damn good teacher. Kids didnt talk in his class. They paid attention, and even when they ****ed up, they kept trying. They respected him and he kept them engaged in the subject matter.

I've T/A'd for other teachers who would go over the lesson for about 10-15 minutes and then send the kids off to do their own thing and teach themselves for the rest of the period. The kind of teachers that would slap 'em with a text book and say get to work. There might have been a few kids who did fine, but most just ****ed off and did nothing.

Those were the classrooms that i had the most trouble in, having to pull kids from class for bad behavior, not paying attention etc. Those very same kids would be great in one room, and complete shit heads in another, and learn nothing in the process.

I wouldn't doubt it if that's exactly what happened in the OP.

Teacher gives them a packet and sits her ass down and does nothing. Kid gets distracted and gets in trouble, kid goes on a rant.

notorious
05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
He didnt go to school. He was turning his life around and trying to go back to learn and when he got there, the teacher was a ****ing lame duck!

I went through alot of bullshit in highschool mostly me being an idiot and i barely went half the time to class lol Then i got my shit together and it took me an extra year and i did it! Hell,i went to class maybe 2 and a half years out of the 5 and still graduated, but i had to bust my ass the 5th year to even do that! i was going to night classes 5 times a week outside of regular class. lol

Good job.

I was only pointing out that this kid might not be the most upstanding student, yet a lot of people went into full "AUTO CHEER" mode.

Omaha
05-10-2013, 12:39 PM

This.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
He very well might be an emotionally troubled loser, but that imo, doesn't devalue what he said.

you couldn't be more wrong

the manner with which he said what he said ABSOLUTELY devalues it.

If he wouldve had a meeting with teachers and admin or written a letter or even had a 1-1 with the teacher, it wouldve had more value.

Instead it seemed to be about his ego ("you're welcome" & "i could teach you") rather than the content of the message.

If you think that style of interaction isn't devalued, youre a ****ing idiot like him.

NewChief
05-10-2013, 12:41 PM
This kid probably needs to be in a SWS (School Within a School) environment. We used to have one here, and it was awesome. It was for all those crazy intelligent kids who just don't do well in a "regular" classroom environment (though this particular classroom in the video sounds subpar by any standard).

Our SWS kids would do amazing things. Sure, they came to school barefoot, wore pajamas, and called their SWS teachers by their first names, but they got shit done and went on to success whereas without the program, they'd have been a disruption in any class in which they sat and failed miserably.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM

If he wouldve had a meeting with teachers and admin or written a letter or even had a 1-1 with the teacher, it wouldve had more value.

Instead it seemed to be about his ego ("you're welcome" & "i could teach you") rather than the content of the message.

If you think that style of interaction isn't devalued, youre a ****ing idiot like him.

I think it's pretty clear here that you're out of touch with teens.

Teenagers are emotional, reactionary creatures. They're all over the damn place emotionally, so thinking that he's going to hold back his feelings in the heat of the moment is a bit far fetched.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
This kid probably needs to be in a SWS (School Within a School) environment. We used to have one here, and it was awesome. It was for all those crazy intelligent kids who just don't do well in a "regular" classroom environment (though this particular classroom in the video sounds subpar by any standard).

Our SWS kids would do amazing things. Sure, they came to school barefoot, wore pajamas, and called their SWS teachers by their first names, but they got shit done and went on to success whereas without the program, they'd have been a disruption in any class in which they sat and failed miserably.

That's basically what the school i worked at was like. It wasn't like any other Court school, as we only took in kids that the staff felt had a real legitimate chance at success.

It's a shame that guys like Pawn over here judge them the way they do, without having any real understanding of what kids like these are like.

bowener
05-10-2013, 12:51 PM
not only was there silence you can hear a few of the students calling his name(i think) like, just leave already

his gang name is scorpion lol (:57)

Gang name? It can't possibly be a nickname?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I think it's pretty clear here that you're out of touch with teens.

Teenagers are emotional, reactionary creatures. They're all over the damn place emotionally, so thinking that he's going to hold back his feelings in the heat of the moment is a bit far fetched.

well, the reality is the 95% of kids DO keep their emotions in check when being scolded by a teacher

the 5% that escalate it to aggressive, hostile rants end up being 18 year old sophomore drop outs, like this cunt

to give him a pass because 'he is a teen' and we need to 'understand his emotions' is exactly the kind of pussy ass nonsense I am posting about.

Giving him a pass now will not help him in life, he needs to learn there are consequences for being a god damn spazz tard in life.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Gang name? It can't possibly be a nickname?

sure it could, did you not notice the lol that you quoted?

scorpion is a gay ass wanna be tough guy name

I bet he picked it himself

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 01:06 PM
well, the reality is the 95% of kids DO keep their emotions in check when being scolded by a teacher

the 5% that escalate it to aggressive, hostile rants end up being 18 year old sophomore drop outs, like this ****

to give him a pass because 'he is a teen' and we need to 'understand his emotions' is exactly the kind of pussy ass nonsense I am posting about.

Giving him a pass now will not help him in life, he needs to learn there are consequences for being a god damn spazz tard in life.

Bullshit. Absolute Bullshit. Two questions for you:

1. How old are you?

2. How much experience do you have in the classroom?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Bullshit. Absolute Bullshit. Two questions for you:

1. How old are you?

2. How much experience do you have in the classroom?

I have a post graduate degree...and I've also taken continuing courses.

I used to be a fuckup, just like that douche in the video

I am now a grown man, married with a child.

I have plenty of experience in classrooms, on both sides....(teaching & student)

I'm old enough and experienced enough to know if you disrupt a classroom, you get kicked out...since they taught us that in 1st grade onward.

Instead of saying 'bullshit' and questioning my credentials perhaps you should work on your own logic and common sense? Perhaps you should address the points with some sort of logical rebuttal?

Just a thought.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I have a post graduate degree...and I've also taken continuing courses.

I used to be a ****up, just like that douche in the video

I am now a grown man, married with a child.

I have plenty of experience in classrooms, on both sides....(teaching & student)

I'm old enough and experienced enough to know if you disrupt a classroom, you get kicked out...since they taught us that in 1st grade onward.

Instead of saying 'bullshit' and questioning my credentials perhaps you should work on your own logic and common sense? Perhaps you should address the points with some sort of logical rebuttal?

Just a thought.

I asked you those questions not to insult your intelligence, i asked you so i can find out how in touch you are with today's teen. You seem to think respect is simply given by kids these days, when it simply isn't the case. The world isn't black and white anymore and in order to get through to some of these kids, you can't walk into a classroom acting like a dickhead, as they will simply treat you the same way.

Simply being an old guy in a position of supposed power doesn't mean shit anymore. You may not like it or want to hear it, but it's the truth. If you want these teens to listen and respect you, then you earn it. That doesn't mean you let them walk all over you. It means that you are tough but fair, but just as importantly, patient and understanding.

The fact that you can't recognize that says that you really haven't had much interaction with recent generations of teens.

This is a different age. Your 1960's republican rhetoric isn't applicable anymore. The world changes, generations change over circumstances out of our control.

Im not validating the kid's actions in the video, however i am validating what he said.

If that kid were in my school, my job woulda been to escort him out and have his parent come pick him up. But that doesn't make what he said any less true.

frankotank
05-10-2013, 01:36 PM

since he dropped out and is now back....I'd put money on him graduating.

EXACTLY

LOL @1:18 So don’t try and take credibility for teaching me jack.
Umm…I think the word would be…..credit.

kcxiv
05-10-2013, 01:37 PM
I asked you those questions not to insult your intelligence, i asked you so i can find out how in touch you are with today's teen. You seem to think respect is simply given by kids these days, when it simply isn't the case. The world isn't black and white anymore and in order to get through to some of these kids, you can't walk into a classroom acting like a dickhead, as they will simply treat you the same way.

Simply being an old guy in a position of supposed power doesn't mean shit anymore. You may not like it or want to hear it, but it's the truth. If you want these teens to listen and respect you, then you earn it. That doesn't mean you let them walk all over you. It means that you are tough but fair, but just as importantly, patient and understanding.

The fact that you can't recognize that says that you really haven't had much interaction with recent generations of teens.

This is a different age. Your 1960's republican rhetoric isn't applicable anymore. The world changes, generations change over circumstances out of our control.

Im not validating the kid's actions in the video, however i am validating what he said.

If that kid were in my school, my job woulda been to escort him out and have his parent come pick him up. But that doesn't make what he said any less true.

Yep, Hell, even in my days in the 80's and early 90's, you still needed to earn you respect. Most kids respect the fair but tough angle. Show you care, most will show they care. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Of course it devalues what he said.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM

you have serious reading comprehension issues. I never said that what the kid said 'wasn't true' or was 'less true' , go back and re-read what I wrote.

You are either dishonest or a ****ing idiot.

All I ever said was he deserved to be kicked out for being a disruptive jack hole, which you apparently agree with.

Bump
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
i'm not really surprised at the flock of ****ing retarded idiots who think that this is acceptable to :

7)behave aggressively

Obviously you are all products of the pussification of our country. When I was in school, this may have been cause for getting permanently removed from whatever class that was...

Anyone that thinks this kid 'did the right thing' (despite whether he may be factually correct that packets suck) is a part of the ****ing problem and not the solution.

attitudes like yours is part of the problem.

Not everybody is easily manipulated and able to be completely controlled like you are.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 01:43 PM

I taught a couple of classes in the past, as well as coaching numerous sports, my brother currently teaches in both normal and special needs environments, he and I have had discussions on this subject time and again, and neither of us buy any of what you're selling.

And it's not about "republican rhetoric", either, since he's a pretty extreme liberal on most social issues.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
And it's not about "republican rhetoric", either, since he's a pretty extreme liberal on most social issues.

I'm also in my 30's still (barely!) i wasn't even born in the 60's but I don't think the truth really matters to this guy

Donger
05-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Oh stop it. They were smart ass little pricks in classrooms in the 80s.

They were smart ass little pricks in classrooms in the 60s.

There are smart ass little pricks in classrooms now.

There will be smart ass little pricks in classrooms in the 2020s.

This generation is no different. I realize that you might like to think it is, but it isn't.

Omaha
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
attitudes like yours is part of the problem.

Not everybody is easily manipulated and able to be completely controlled like you are.

Although I wholeheartedly agree with the kid's point, I kinda agree that interrupting class with a tantrum is likely not the best way to communicate it. I might change my mind if I knew what led up to the tantrum.

Chazno
05-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Ironic post is Ironic.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Although I wholeheartedly agree with the kid's point, I kinda agree that interrupting class with a tantrum is likely not the best way to communicate it. I might change my mind if I knew what lead up to the tantrum.

Exactly. From the fairly calm demeanor of the teacher, I'm going to guess she didn't 'lose it' but without seeing the whole thing , who knows...

From the reaction of the students at the end of the video (giggling, calling him a baby...,saying his name to get him to leave...) I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he is in the wrong.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Ironic post is Ironic.

except we are not in a classroom, and this is a casual, shit talking type of internet forum

I admit, wholeheartedly, that my behavior is different in professional type settings..

I have enough control in myself to act appropriately given context/circumstance...

and to know the difference

Unlike you & this douche in the video.

Demonpenz
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
guy should get a teaching degree then he can show her how it's done.

J Diddy
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I've seen this video a million times and each time I ask the same question: You get a 2 minute snap shot of a teenage kids perceived injustice. You don't know the context, the history of the kid or the teacher, yet you choose to champion a teenage kid who knows nothing of the world because he sprinkles some truth in there.

Newsflash: That is how teenagers argue. Their problem is not that they can't see the truth, just that they don't know what to do with it when it's in their grasp.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I've seen this video a million times and each time I ask the same question: You get a 2 minute snap shot of a teenage kids perceived injustice. You don't know the context, the history of the kid or the teacher, yet you choose to champion a teenage kid who knows nothing of the world because he sprinkles some truth in there.

Newsflash: That is how teenagers argue. Their problem is not that they can't see the truth, just that they don't know what to do with it when it's in their grasp.

no way man, youre way out of touch with teens

LOL

(tardhint: fucking exactly spot on 100% A+ post)

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
you have serious reading comprehension issues. I never said that what the kid said 'wasn't true' or was 'less true' , go back and re-read what I wrote.

You are either dishonest or a ****ing idiot.

All I ever said was he deserved to be kicked out for being a disruptive jack hole, which you apparently agree with.

The simple fact that you can't stop throwing around insults and have an adult conversation suggests maybe i should question your intelligence. I have yet to insult you one time, yet you continue.

If you have no issue with what was said, then why bother attacking those who agreed with his rant?

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM

How he went about it and what he said are two different arguments.

I think most of us can agree that he didn't go about it in a mature way. That doesn't mean his statement doesn't have truth to it, which afterall, is what this thread is about.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Oh stop it. They were smart ass little pricks in classrooms in the 80s.

They were smart ass little pricks in classrooms in the 60s.

There are smart ass little pricks in classrooms now.

There will be smart ass little pricks in classrooms in the 2020s.

This generation is no different. I realize that you might like to think it is, but it isn't.

You're the most detached poster on the forum, so your stance on this doesn't surprise me one bit.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I taught a couple of classes in the past, as well as coaching numerous sports, my brother currently teaches in both normal and special needs environments, he and I have had discussions on this subject time and again, and neither of us buy any of what you're selling.

That's fine. What is it exactly that you don't buy?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
If you have no issue with what was said, then why bother attacking those who agreed with his rant?

Are you seriously too fucking dense to understand the difference between understanding that PERHAPS there is truth in what he said...and totally disagreeing with how he went about it? Ive said it to you 3 times now, yet you still fail.

Also not you or anyone else knows if the teacher was using too many 'packets' or not, or what led up to the 'blow up.'

There is almost zero justification for this kind of disruption in a class setting, especially by an 18 year old.

The fact you repeatedly fail to understand this is utterly mind boggling, considering you claim to work with kids.

Donger
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
You're the most detached poster on the forum, so your stance on this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Detached from what?

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Detached from what?

Everything outside your comfy home.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Are you seriously too ****ing dense to understand the difference between understanding that PERHAPS there is truth in what he said...and totally disagreeing with how he went about it? Ive said it to you 3 times now, yet you still fail.

Also not you or anyone else knows if the teacher was using too many 'packets' or not, or what led up to the 'blow up.'

There is almost zero justification for this kind of disruption in a class setting, especially by an 18 year old.

The fact you repeatedly fail to understand this is utterly mind boggling, considering you claim to work with kids.

And you continue insulting. Your first post in this thread was to insult those who agreed with his statement. You bring nothing to this conversation.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
That's fine. What is it exactly that you don't buy?

Pretty much everything you've posted on the matter.

Donger
05-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Everything outside your comfy home.

Okay, but I've got plenty of high school-aged nephews and have discussed this very subject with them at length. EVERY generation thinks they are SO different than the previous.

ct
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM

And when the teacher stands up and tells that kid WTF is up, that youtube vid has 100K hits in an hour, and she's fired before the week is up.

There's some really bad teachers out there no doubt, but you really want to know the education systems failure, look at the system itself.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
And you continue insulting. Your first post in this thread was to insult those who agreed with his statement. You bring nothing to this conversation.

You are an idiot who cant admit you were wrong about 'devaluing' what he said.

My 1st post to you pointed out how wrong you are, yet you still continue to flail and spaz and deny.

No matter how much 'truth' is on your side , it devalues what you say if you act like a fucking idiot while delivering the message. Period.

You were wrong.

Period.

MTG#10
i'm not really surprised at the flock of ****ing retarded idiots who think that this is acceptable to :

7)behave aggressively

Anyone that thinks this kid 'did the right thing' (despite whether he may be factually correct that packets suck) is a part of the ****ing problem and not the solution.

Good luck with your shitty jobs and lives in the trailer park.This.

Chazno
except we are not in a classroom, and this is a casual, shit talking type of internet forum

I admit, wholeheartedly, that my behavior is different in professional type settings..

I have enough control in myself to act appropriately given context/circumstance...

and to know the difference

Unlike you & this douche in the video.
http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/122181f60249c0613b8066654bc1c2fe/http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/ChadBromwell/troll.jpg

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Pretty much everything you've posted on the matter.

That kids from dysfunctional backgrounds can sometimes need special attention? Or that troubled teens listen to those whom they respect more than those they don't?

Shrug.

I've spent 6 years of my life dealing with this demographic, both teaching them, living with them and being one of them. My life experiences would tell me you're wrong. But, if this is a field you work in and your opinion is different, i can respect that.

I just don't respect the opinions of those who don't deal with kids like these, is all.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Trying to classify him in such a way that you feel free to just dismiss him is a pretty hypocritical approach for you to be taking under the circumstances.

BlackHelicopters
05-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Terrific!

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Okay, but I've got plenty of high school-aged nephews and have discussed this very subject with them at length. EVERY generation thinks they are SO different than the previous.

I agree. They do think they are different.

Do you not agree that the American Family is different now compared to what it was when you were a kid?

Do you not agree that there are more single parent households today vs when you were a teen?

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
That kids from dysfunctional backgrounds can sometimes need special attention? Or that troubled teens listen to those whom they respect more than those they don't?

Shrug.

You got pretty much everything wrong. What you did was try to protect a really poor take about devaluing by throwing a "you don't know" blanket over it.

I've spent 6 years of my life dealing with this demographic, both teaching them, living with them and being one of them. My life experiences would tell me you're wrong. But, if this is a field you work in and your opinion is different, i can respect that.

My brother's been working with the sort of kids who are beyond special needs, if you understand what I'm saying, and he wouldn't buy your line.

I just don't respect the opinions of those who don't deal with kids like these, is all.

Yeah, that's a really ****ing stupid outlook.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Trying to classify him in such a way that you feel free to just dismiss him is a pretty hypocritical approach for you to be taking under the circumstances.

I classify him that way not based on this one argument alone, but many. I've told him this numerous times, he knows this. He'll even admit it to you.

WhawhaWhat
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

I didn't see where he said he had an issue with the message, but with the method of delivery.

Donger
05-10-2013, 02:18 PM
I agree. They do think they are different.

Do you not agree that the American Family is different now compared to what it was when you were a kid?

Do you not agree that there are more single parent households today vs when you were a teen?

Yes.

I don't have the statistics memorized, but I'd imagine there are more single parent families now than in the 80s, yes.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
You got pretty much everything wrong. What you did was try to protect a really poor take about devaluing by throwing a "you don't know" blanket over it.

My brother's been working with the sort of kids who are beyond special needs, if you understand what I'm saying, and he wouldn't buy your line.

Yeah, that's a really ****ing stupid outlook.

Well, your brother and I probably come from two different backgrounds. I doubt he grew up with and lived with the kids he is now teaching.

And as far the devaluing thing goes, yes, i think it's silly to devalue his statement simply because he said it in a rude manner. Just because he didn't do it the way we all would like him to do it doesn't make it any less true.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I classify him that way not based on this one argument alone, but many. I've told him this numerous times, he knows this. He'll even admit it to you.

That doesn't undermine what I said, though, at all. It reinforces my point, actually. You're being a hypocrite.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:23 PM

7)behave aggressively

I didn't see where he said he had an issue with the message, but with the method of delivery.

His first post in this thread was to clearly insult those who agreed with the kid. Before this post was made, no one was talking about the manner in which it was said, everyone was talking about what he actually said.

Donger
05-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Have you and I interfaced before this thread?

Just Passin' By
Well, your brother and I probably come from two different backgrounds. I doubt he grew up with and lived with the kids he is now teaching.

And as far the devaluing thing goes, yes, i think it's silly to devalue his statement simply because he said it in a rude manner. Just because he didn't do it the way we all would like him to do it doesn't make it any less true.

First, stop pretending that you're some unique little snowflake. You're different, just like every other human being ever.

Second, as to the devaluing, you jumped to a conclusion without sufficient facts and then dug in when evidence that would generally run against your conclusion was presented, and began tossing out the "You can't understand" bullshit. Don't go patting yourself on the back for that. You're just being an arrogant ass.

ModSocks
Have you and I interfaced before this thread?

You can't be serious....

Donger, you gotta get that memory checked out, man. It's going to shit.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
His first post in this thread was to clearly insult those who agreed with the kid. Before this post was made, no one was talking about the manner in which it was said, everyone was talking about what he actually said.

you really cant read, can you?

My post was ENTIRELY about the manner in which he said it.......(see where i said 'factually correct' in YOUR quote ?)

As was every post thereafter...

Holy shit you are dumb

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:30 PM
First, stop pretending that you're some unique little snowflake. You're different, just like every other human being ever.

Second, as to the devaluing, you jumped to a conclusion without sufficient facts and then dug in when evidence that would generally run against your conclusion was presented, and began tossing out the "You can't understand" bullshit. Don't go patting yourself on the back for that. You're just being an arrogant ass.

Actually i am unique in the sense that i've actually had real world experience on all 3 levels of this subject. Im sorry that you would rather dismiss that and write it off as arrogance.

And i never jumped to any conclusion. As i stated, this kid is probably an emotionally distraught teen. I stated that very early in this thread. I never said that i agreed with the way he handled it.

I did say that i agree with what he said and that expecting a teen like this to handle his emotions in an adult fashion isn't always realistic, because teens are very reactionary.

If this were my classroom, i would've had to have pulled this kid out of class, had a long ass talk with him and sent him home.

But again, none of that changes the fact that what he said was true.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:31 PM
you really cant read, can you?

My post was ENTIRELY about the manner in which he said it.......(see where i said 'factually correct' in YOUR quote ?)

As was every post thereafter...

Holy shit you are dumb

So then when you came in with your rant insulting people, who were you directing it at? Because no one was talking about the manner in which he delivered his speech.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:37 PM

really? thats not totally true.

the guy taping it agrees with him on at least one occasion.

square biz. i think is how he put it, without watching again

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Actually i am unique in the sense that i've actually had real world experience on all 3 levels of this subject. Im sorry that you would rather dismiss that and write it off as arrogance.

But the point is that you are not, in fact, unique, and you are trying to use a false claim of uniqueness to dismiss any contrary opinion. You are, in fact, being an arrogant ass.

And i never jumped to any conclusion. As i stated, this kid is probably an emotionally distraught teen. I stated that very early in this thread. I never said that i agreed with the way he handled it.

Of course you jumped to a conclusion. Without seeing the lead up, you jumped in and claimed the kid was right. In reality, he's partially right at best, and mostly wrong even when given the benefit of the doubt.

I did say that i agree with what he said and that expecting a teen like this to handle his emotions in an adult fashion isn't always realistic, because teens are very reactionary.

Yeah, that's a ridiculous take.

If this were my classroom, i would've had to have pulled this kid out of class, had a long ass talk with him and sent him home.

But again, none of that changes the fact that what he said was true.

Your disclaimer nothwitstanding, the question of whether he had a legitimate gripe or was just being a whiny little shit does, in fact, change whether what he was saying is true or not.

J Diddy
05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
How he went about it and what he said are two different arguments.

I think most of us can agree that he didn't go about it in a mature way. That doesn't mean his statement doesn't have truth to it, which afterall, is what this thread is about.

Just out of curiosity, what do you believe the truthful part of his statement to be?

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you believe the truthful part of his statement to be?

That kids respond far better from an engaging, thought provoking teacher, opposed to being handed a packet and told "get to reading".

In my experiences, teens get in the most trouble and are the least productive when told to basically go learn on your own.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
So then when you came in with your rant insulting people, who were you directing it at? Because no one was talking about the manner in which he delivered his speech.

no one - except ME , in the post you quoted AND the post i directed DIRECTLY at you.

My 1st post AND The post replying to your idiotic notion that his rude disruptive behavior didn't devalue his message.

Again, read what I wrote.(since you clearly have comprehension problems)..you will see that it is me. I am the 'no one' in question.

demonhero
05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
maybe if this adult would have done his packets like a good student.. he would be an 18 year old senior. The teachers didn't fail him here.... his parents and himself are to blame imo.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:43 PM
oh AND no one called him "scorpion"

he said "square biz"

which means they agree with what the kid is saying

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:43 PM
really? thats not totally true.

the guy taping it agrees with him on at least one occasion.

square biz. i think is how he put it, without watching again

I think he said 'scorpion' which seemed to be the douche bag's name. It sounded like he was telling him to leave, to try and calm him down...But thats just my take on it after a couple listens.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I think he said 'scorpion' which seemed to be the douche bag's name. It sounded like he was telling him to leave, to try and calm him down...But thats just my take on it after a couple listens.

nope you are 100% wrong.

he says it once and then again louder square BIZ.

scorpion doesnt end in a z or an s.

the kid was agreeing with him and making it known

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:46 PM
But the point is that you are not, in fact, unique, and you are trying to use a false claim of uniqueness to dismiss any contrary opinion. You are, in fact, being an arrogant ass.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this.

I value real life experience greatly, maybe you don't.

If Donger told me what life was like living in the slums Europe, i wouldn't disagree with him, because he's lived it and he would know best.

If Donger, a Suburban white man, were to try to "educate" me on Mexican Culture, i'd probably tell him to get fucked.

(No offense Donger, i am merely using you as an example)

I do value real life experience greatly, because it's real world education.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
oh AND no one called him "scorpion"

he said "square biz"

which means they agree with what the kid is saying

ok.even the guy who called him a 'baby' at the end , and then the ones who laughed at him after he left?

I'll take your word on the square biz comment...but 'they' didnt all agree

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:49 PM
maybe if this adult would have done his packets like a good student.. he would be an 18 year old senior. The teachers didn't fail him here.... his parents and himself are to blame imo.

so a child makes a mistake and drops out of school and then realizes how dumb it was and goes back to try to make something of himself is wrong now?

maybe that why he took so much offense to how the teacher WAS NOT reaching the kids in class...

he didnt want other students to make the mistake because a teacher doesnt care.

the teacher had OBVIOUSLY told these kids they were just her paycheck on another occasion

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:50 PM
ok.even the guy who called him a 'baby' at the end , and then the ones who laughed at him after he left?

I'll take your word on the square biz comment...but 'they' didnt all agree

well i meant to type "he" there.

they probably all didnt agree. ill give you that. some kids are lazy and probably would love to get "packets" to learn every day and he could have ruined it for them...

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:52 PM
and im not totally sure that guy said little baby.

the laughing might not have even been "at him" the students could be laughing at the situation, or even the teacher

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:53 PM
well i meant to type "he" there.

they probably all didnt agree. ill give you that. some kids are lazy and probably would love to get "packets" to learn every day and he could have ruined it for them...

The only person he is ruining things for is himself......the kids got a good lesson that day...how NOT to behave if you want to succeed.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:53 PM
the last word sounds like maybe to me...

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
The only person he is ruining things for is himself......the kids got a good lesson that day...how NOT to behave if you want to succeed.

we will have to disagree on this buddy

J Diddy
05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
That kids respond far better from an engaging, thought provoking teacher, opposed to being handed a packet and told "get to reading".

In my experiences, teens get in the most trouble and are the least productive when told to basically go learn on your own.

Yet in 3 years that is what to be expected from them in real life. Furthermore, you don't anything about the packets, the manner in which this teacher teaches or anything outside of a 2 minute youtube clip from a mouthy kid with no rebuttal from the teacher. You know nothing of the teachers funding, the schools curriculum, nor the background of the children in the room. For all that is known that could be detention.

Point being, I will concede that the child had a point that not all students learn the same and in an all things being equal classroom he would be somewhat justified for his disagreement. However, you must concede that you have absolutely no clue as to the context of what he speaks and can't possibly attest to the truthfulness as to the perfect scenario I illustrated above.

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Damn straight, kid.

Best teachers i ever had were passionate about what they did and it reflected on their students.

It's called engagement, and it is an important component of student success. While his presentation may seem disrespectful, at the age level she appears to be teaching, she has to realize that she has an obligation to EARN their respect and not rely solely on her position.

And sometimes, those of us who recognize that the person with the title is wasting our time, feel compelled to fire shots across the bow of a listing ship. (In the interest of full disclosure: Bob Dole made a grown man MIS professor run from the classroom in tears with a similar rant once upon a time.)

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:55 PM
and im not totally sure that guy said little baby.

the laughing might not have even been "at him" the students could be laughing at the situation, or even the teacher

it doesn't really matter if every kid in there agreed with him

we (adults) can't see what led up to his outburst

There is almost no scenario where that type of outburst is acceptable or will produce better results than acting in a rational way without insulting the teacher and disrupting the class.

I'm going to go with the odds here.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 02:56 PM

If Donger told me what life was like living in the slums Europe, i wouldn't disagree with him, because he's lived it and he would know best.

If Donger, a Suburban white man, were to try to "educate" me on Mexican Culture, i'd probably tell him to get ****ed.

And here you prove exactly what I was saying. How do you not see the hypocricy of your position?

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 02:57 PM
his parents and himself are to blame imo.

And you're probably right.

But i believe that teachers and others can make a huge difference.

I came from a real fucked up childhood...I've shared many stories on this site.

I use to look at the guy standing next to me and think to myself, "yeah, your life sucks, but mine was worse. And look at me, i pulled through it and created a life and family for myself so there's no excuses for you".

I use to think that way.

Then when i looked back and REALLY thought about it, i realized that....despite having no mother and druggie dad and all that other shit that ruined my childhood, i had a lot of really, really positive influences in my life.

I've had some outstanding, passionate teachers who cared about me and my education. I've had some counselors who were like mother figures for me. I had adults that really cared about me and taught me a lot.

I realized that some of these kids have never had that. I didn't receive that kind of special attention until i ran away from home.

So i have to wonder how many thousands of kids NEVER received that kind of attention and were just cast off by assholes who think they should act a certain way, even though they don't know you or what causes you to act the way you do.

I am grateful that i had some outstanding adults in my life, and had I never ran away, i never would've met them.

So when i see a kid like the one in the OP, i refuse to simply dismiss him because he didn't act the way you want him to act.

I just don't believe the world is that black and white.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 02:58 PM
we will have to disagree on this buddy

I'm sure that type of behavior will get him far in life......I bet he can lecture his bosses, his professors, cops and every other authority figure in his life on how smart he is and how he knows the job....and this will get him ahead in life. Did this work for you?

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 02:58 PM
it doesn't really matter if every kid in there agreed with him

we (adults) can't see what led up to his outburst

There is almost no scenario where that type of outburst is acceptable or will produce better results than acting in a rational way without insulting the teacher and disrupting the class.

I'm going to go with the odds here.

i can agree here. i was just disagreeing with the scorpion comments and your wrong assumption that all the kids disagreed with him

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:00 PM
i can agree here. i was just disagreeing with the scorpion comments and your wrong assumption that all the kids disagreed with him

well, being fair, I said I was unsure of the scorpion comment...and i never said 'all the kids disagreed with him'

You made that up

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm sure that type of behavior will get him far in life......I bet he can lecture his bosses, his professors, cops and every other authority figure in his life on how smart he is and how he knows the job....and this will get him ahead in life. Did this work for you?

i was somewhat the same way in school.

ended up still graduating 4th in my class, but didnt get along with employers very well because i dont take to being yelled at too kindly.

but i have made it pretty far in life and am a successful person because i am a great mechanic, and own my own business.

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Because it will most certainly go on his Permanent Record?

Seriously, if the kid had the right skill set, Bob Dole would hire him tomorrow and put him on projects that involved imagination and the ability to assume a reasoned amount of risk. Bob Dole doesn't have any desire to lead people who nod their head and agree with anything Bob Dole says. A leader needs to be challenged and welcomes the opportunities it creates..

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:04 PM
i was somewhat the same way in school.

ended up still graduating 4th in my class, but didnt get along with employers very well because i dont take to being yelled at too kindly.

but i have made it pretty far in life and am a successful person because i am a great mechanic, and own my own business.

I was the same way too, and ended up graduating Cum Laude at university and getting a post graduate degree as well...

My attitude changed after high school, and I realized I had to man up. If i had done it earlier, I think it would've been better for me.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Yet in 3 years that is what to be expected from them in real life. Furthermore, you don't anything about the packets, the manner in which this teacher teaches or anything outside of a 2 minute youtube clip from a mouthy kid with no rebuttal from the teacher. You know nothing of the teachers funding, the schools curriculum, nor the background of the children in the room. For all that is known that could be detention.

Point being, I will concede that the child had a point that not all students learn the same and in an all things being equal classroom he would be somewhat justified for his disagreement. However, you must concede that you have absolutely no clue as to the context of what he speaks and can't possibly attest to the truthfulness as to the perfect scenario I illustrated above.

I'll concede that i don't know the context of the video. But that doesn't change the truthfulness of the speech, which is that kids learn more from an engaging teacher.

Was he wrong for his outburst? Yes.

But you don't know the context either, so why dismiss what he has to say?

He even states in the video that the teacher had stated weeks ago that she was there to simply collect a paycheck.

So if we don't know the story, why dismiss it?

Why are you trying to pick a side instead of taking it for its face value?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Because it will most certainly go on his Permanent Record?

Seriously, if the kid had the right skill set, Bob Dole would hire him tomorrow and put him on projects that involved imagination and the ability to assume a reasoned amount of risk. Bob Dole doesn't have any desire to lead people who nod their head and agree with anything Bob Dole says. A leader needs to be challenged and welcomes the opportunities it creates..

Yes im sure you would enjoy working with this person, given his current attitude...

If you are too dumb to know the difference between having differences / proper conflict resolution / addressing issues and throwing a temper tantrrum insulting the teacher, & disrupting the classroom I doubt you are in any position to hire anyone for anything.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I'll concede that i don't know the context of the video. But that doesn't change the truthfulness of the speech, which is that kids learn more from an engaging teacher.

The problem with blanket statements about teaching (and many other professions) is that they're almost never correct, because they essentially try to turn students into numbers. What is true is that some kids learn more from an engaging teacher, and some do not. Different styles work with different people.

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Why the fuck is there an Ohio State flag on the wall?

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:10 PM
This is not true. What is true is that some kids learn more from an engaging teacher.

I feel that ALL kids learn more from an engaging teacher, but some kids are just fine on their own.

Not all kids NEED an engaging teacher, but all kids are better off having one.

Donger
05-10-2013, 03:11 PM

If Donger, a Suburban white man, were to try to "educate" me on Mexican Culture, i'd probably tell him to get ****ed.

None taken, and it's nice to meet you.

Setsuna
Packets are useful. And at some point students need to learn to self teach. There are millions of free and viable resources on the internet today where you honestly don't even need to go to school. If the packet is detailed enough then the student needs to take it upon themselves to study it and then study further with other resources to understand it. Honestly this would give them a huge advantage when they go to college, especially the Ivy League's and Georgia Tech's of the U.S.

Just Passin' By
I feel that ALL kids learn more from an engaging teacher, but some kids are just fine on their own.

Not all kids NEED an engaging teacher, but all kids are better off having one.

You're flat-out wrong. Frankly, you even making the claim makes me question whether you're qualified on this issue at all.*

*And, yes, I understand precisely what I did just there

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes im sure you would enjoy working with this person, given his current attitude...

If you are too dumb to know the difference between having differences / proper conflict resolution / addressing issues and throwing a temper tantrrum insulting the teacher, & disrupting the classroom I doubt you are in any position to hire anyone for anything.

And you would be very wrong in your assumption.

His behavior presents an opportunity to do exactly what his rant is saying. Put forth some effort and create a connection, engage, discuss, mentor and redirect the energy and passion of a young person that appears to have a shit pot full of potential.

Mr. Wizard
05-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Been teaching 27 years. I am sad to say that there are indeed teachers like this. I am happy to say there are some incredible teachers out there as well. Todays kids are not hard to teach, you just have to care enough about them to turn them on to learning. They grew up being entertained by television, nintendo, the internet and cell phones and anyone who believes they can alter this reality does not live in the reality of education today.
That being said, kids are smart, they know if you care, and if you don't then they don't either. I will admit, I did write a referral yesterday, my first in four years, and I was disappointed in myself for relying on a principal to take care of an issue that I should have been able to, but, it was a safety issue and had to be removed from class immediately.
I personally believe that administrators are a major part of the problem. Many are just in it for the money and were not ever effective teachers. Most evaluations take place in 15 minutes or so and frankly most evaluations are going to eventually get don to one basic question. Does the administrator like you or not. Sad but oh so true.
So all in all I would say this.... If a kid stood up and uttered those words in my class and I did not at least care enough about my job to ask myself if there was any truth in his debate then I would not deserve what pay I make.
I have past students talk to me all the time and I listen closely. They are the reason I love my job. If that statement is true then are the current students not worth listening to as well. Why do kids not get to give teachers feedback in public education? Makes no sense to me. They are our customers after all.
I digress.

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Packets are useful. And at some point students need to learn to self teach. There are millions of free and viable resources on the internet today where you honestly don't even need to go to school. If the packet is detailed enough then the student needs to take it upon themselves to study it and then study further with other resources to understand it. Honestly this would give them a huge advantage when they go to college, especially the Ivy League's and Georgia Tech's of the U.S.

Packets? Really?

Or maybe instead of printing it out and putting it in a packet, she could put it in an LMS, have them look at it in advance on their mobile device or desktop, then actually have a guided discussion in class? You know, flip the classroom.

Last time Bob Dole looked, the calendar didn't say 1980.

But as has already been pointed out, Bob Dole is in over his head, so none of this is valid.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:18 PM
You're flat-out wrong. Frankly, you even making the claim makes me question whether you're qualified on this issue at all.*

*And, yes, I understand precisely what I did just there

I said i FEEL, as in, my opinion. Im not saying it like it's Gospel, as i don't have statistics to back up my claim, and im guessing you don't either.

I am making my assumption, again, off of experience. Maybe your experiences have been different.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
And you would be very wrong in your assumption.

His behavior presents an opportunity to do exactly what his rant is saying. Put forth some effort and create a connection, engage, discuss, mentor and redirect the energy and passion of a young person that appears to have a shit pot full of potential.

I agree it is an opportunity. But is an opportunity for the other 30 kids in the class. You would have to remove the student and then have a discussion about conflict resolution, addressing problems with methodology etc....You cant have a student wasting everyone's time and insulting the teacher and disregarding orders to leave. The opportunity is to make an example out of awful behavior, and try to turn it into something to show HOW to handle problems.

Using your employment example, I flat out guarantee you if an employee of mine disrupted a meeting, was hostile, insulted me ("maybe I'll teach you how to do your job") and said "your welcome" to me after I asked them to leave, as if I needed their permission to remove them from my office....well I would not want to work with that person.

And I think you are being dishonest saying that you do.

Setsuna
05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Been teaching 27 years. I am sad to say that there are indeed teachers like this. I am happy to say there are some incredible teachers out there as well. Todays kids are not hard to teach, you just have to care enough about them to turn them on to learning. They grew up being entertained by television, nintendo, the internet and cell phones and anyone who believes they can alter this reality does not live in the reality of education today.
That being said, kids are smart, they know if you care, and if you don't then they don't either. I will admit, I did write a referral yesterday, my first in four years, and I was disappointed in myself for relying on a principal to take care of an issue that I should have been able to, but, it was a safety issue and had to be removed from class immediately.
I personally believe that administrators are a major part of the problem. Many are just in it for the money and were not ever effective teachers. Most evaluations take place in 15 minutes or so and frankly most evaluations are going to eventually get don to one basic question. Does the administrator like you or not. Sad but oh so true.
So all in all I would say this.... If a kid stood up and uttered those words in my class and I did not at least care enough about my job to ask myself if there was any truth in his debate then I would not deserve what pay I make.
I have past students talk to me all the time and I listen closely. They are the reason I love my job. If that statement is true then are the current students not worth listening to as well. Why do kids not get to give teachers feedback in public education? Makes no sense to me. They are our customers after all.
I digress.
You want a cookie? So the freak what? It's one class. Move the heck on. Geez.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I digress.

Great post and I agree 100%

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Using your employment example, I flat out guarantee you if an employee of mine disrupted a meeting, was hostile, insulted me ("maybe I'll teach you how to do your job") and said "your welcome" to me after I asked them to leave, as if I needed their permission to remove them from my office....well I would not want to work with that person.

And I think you are being dishonest saying that you do.

Wow.

You're the boss who when asked, "Why?" by a subordinate, responds, "Because I'm the boss and I said so."

And Bob Dole thinks you are being dishonest saying that you aren't.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Been teaching 27 years. I am sad to say that there are indeed teachers like this.

Stopped reading right here...How do you begin to know what that teacher is like from what we watched in the video? Is there more to this story?

Setsuna
05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Packets? Really?

Or maybe instead of printing it out and putting it in a packet, she could put it in an LMS, have them look at it in advance on their mobile device or desktop, then actually have a guided discussion in class? You know, flip the classroom.

Last time Bob Dole looked, the calendar didn't say 1980.

But as has already been pointed out, Bob Dole is in over his head, so none of this is valid.
The teacher is most likely already set in his/her way. The only thing that'll change that is the prospect of getting fired for lackluster performance based on the students' grades coming out of that class. One child isn't going to do anything to even budge that mountain. And again it's one class, soon that kid will be out of that class and he can look ahead like he's supposed to.

kcxiv
05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Stopped reading right here...How do you begin to know what that teacher is like from what we watched in the video? Is there more to this story?

im sure he meant as its been portrayed in the video. Come on man use your head. The teacher may not be like that, but even another student said, yeah, that its mostly true or something to that effect.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Wow.

You're the boss who when asked, "Why?" by a subordinate, responds, "Because I'm the boss and I said so."

Putting words in my mouth?

Let me spell it out since Bob Dole seems to be so old he can't understand simple words:

I have no problem with asking why. Zero.

I have a problem with disrupting the class, telling the teacher/boss that "maybe I should teach you how to do your fricken job", acting hostile and refusing to leave until you decide to say 'you're welcome' and let everyone know that you only left because you wanted to and not because you were told to.

But yes I'm sure your business is thriving with a company full of employees like this...

What do you guys do? Manufacture butthurt?

kcxiv
05-10-2013, 03:28 PM
The teacher is most likely already set in his/her way. The only thing that'll change that is the prospect of getting fired for lackluster performance based on the student's grades coming out of that class. One child isn't going to do anything to even budge that mountain. And again it's one class, soon that kid will be out of that class and he can look ahead like he's supposed to.

Teacher is on leave after the video game out. Maybe nothing will come of it, but yes, the mountain did budge even if its just a fraction of an inch.

Mr. Wizard
05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
You want a cookie? So the freak what? It's one class. Move the heck on. Geez.

Sure, I would love a cookie ! We teachers lose kids, all kids are different, all teachers are different, but some teachers save kids too. Save one and the feeling is incredible. Lose one and if you really care the feeling is sickening. I once had a kid who lived in his car. He came to class EVERY day. How could I not teach a kid like that with everything I have to offer. He now is the manager at a local manufacturing company. Hell yea I am proud of all I did for him. I also have a student whom I and several other teachers bent over backwards to try and salvage. He killed himself. This profession is easy and hard, worthwhile and so not worthwhile all at the same time. But I do love it.

I dare any of you who are sitting there judging to actually try it sometime. Kids can see right through you. right through.

Ming the Merciless
im sure he meant as its been portrayed in the video. Come on man use your head.

I am using my head...I'm looking at the title of the video, the calm actions of the teacher, the disruptive aggressive actions of the student...and the fact that the initial confrontation was edited out...

To me the person portrayed in a bad light here is the student...

I'd be willing to change that opinion if I had more info.

Setsuna
Teacher is on leave after the video game out. Maybe nothing will come of it, but yes, the mountain did budge even if its just a fraction of an inch.

Hmmm...interesting. But it wasn't the kid that moved it, it was the video being publicly posted. Still in one ear and out the other.

Also when was this video posted? If it's recent then this kid decides to say something almost near the end of the year? That's pretty stupid if you ask me. That should have been addressed within the first month. IF this was recorded recently.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I said i FEEL, as in, my opinion. Im not saying it like it's Gospel, as i don't have statistics to back up my claim, and im guessing you don't either.

I am making my assumption, again, off of experience. Maybe your experiences have been different.

Your limited experiences notwithstanding, studies have shown that different children learn best with different teaching methods. The same is true of testing, FWIW, where some test better in an SAT style situation while others test better with different approaches.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I'd take some paid leave too if I was that teacher, well deserved.

ThatRaceCardGuy
05-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Give that kid a standing ovation. Lazy ass teacher is lazy!

Mr. Wizard
05-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Respectfully, its damn obvious sir. Two kids were asleep, a student complaining about not getting the opportunity to learn, two other students saying amen! The kid should speak to every teaching staff in the US. Those that dont agree with him should get the hell out of education forever.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Sure, I would love a cookie ! We teachers lose kids, all kids are different, all teachers are different, but some teachers save kids too. Save one and the feeling is incredible. Lose one and if you really care the feeling is sickening. I once had a kid who lived in his car. He came to class EVERY day. How could I not teach a kid like that with everything I have to offer. He now is the manager at a local manufacturing company. Hell yea I am proud of all I did for him. I also have a student whom I and several other teachers bent over backwards to try and salvage. He killed himself. This profession is easy and hard, worthwhile and so not worthwhile all at the same time. But I do love it.

I dare any of you who are sitting there judging to actually try it sometime. Kids can see right through you. right through.

Man, good for you. Seriously. I have a soft spot for good teachers, because i know that i wouldn't be where i am today with out them.

I was the kid that was sleeping in the car (bushes actually) and still went to class every day. I did it because i had teachers who believed in me and i wanted to prove them right.

It started in middle school. Those teachers believed in me and i couldn't let them down. I just couldn't. And then i was lucky enough to get great teachers again in HS that wouldn't give up on me.

With out them, i don't know how i would've ended up.

Like my HS teacher told me in private, "i have 20 of you in my class that no one else wanted, and if i can get even 5 of you to graduate from college, it's worth every minute"

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Wow.

this.

if my employee asks "why" i explain, and THEN ask if they have a better course of action.

usually at that point they agree or tell me how they would do it.

sometimes then i have to pull the "you are going to do it my way" at that point, because i know from experience they will take MUCH longer than my way, but usually there are two ways of getting to the same point.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Respectfully, its damn obvious sir. Two kids were asleep, a student complaining about not getting the opportunity to learn, two other students saying amen! The kid should speak to every teaching staff in the US. Those that dont agree with him should get the hell out of education forever.

Well, respectfully, I can agree with the kid's position BUT disagree with his disruptive actions and temper tantrum in class..

But I am sure you allowed students (right or wrong) to disrupt your classes, tell you they could do your job, not leave when you sent them to the office ...etc...

I'm SURE you allowed all of this because you are such an awesome teacher.

Am i right?

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 03:46 PM
well, being fair, I said I was unsure of the scorpion comment...and i never said 'all the kids disagreed with him'

You made that up

lol. you said "the kids laughed and called him a baby after he left were disagreeing with him"

you also said it was his fucking gang name. after saying "i think".

you were pretty sure of yourself and didnt even hear correctly what was actually said.

square biz.

Mr. Wizard
05-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Well, respectfully, I can agree with the kid's position BUT disagree with his disruptive actions and temper tantrum in class..

But I am sure you allowed students (right or wrong) to disrupt your classes, tell you they could do your job, not leave when you sent them to the office ...etc...

I'm SURE you allowed all of this because you are such an awesome teacher.

Am i right?

Never claimed to be an awesome teacher, never, I just make one claim, "I care".
Yes I have kids disrupt my class and yes I see that as a learning opportunity for ALL of us, including ME. Most of the time we all come out of it for the better, occasionally not. But thats not going to keep me from caring.
That situation was not created by a bad student it was created by a bad teacher. Which is exactly why she is now on leave.

Bob Dole
05-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Putting words in my mouth?

Let me spell it out since Bob Dole seems to be so old he can't understand simple words:

I have no problem with asking why. Zero.

I have a problem with disrupting the class, telling the teacher/boss that "maybe I should teach you how to do your fricken job", acting hostile and refusing to leave until you decide to say 'you're welcome' and let everyone know that you only left because you wanted to and not because you were told to.

But yes I'm sure your business is thriving with a company full of employees like this...

What do you guys do? Manufacture butthurt?

Perhaps you should have comprehended Bob Dole's earlier post when you read it.

The only thing Bob Dole is too old to do at present is waste more of his remaining time talking to a wall. Have a super weekend.

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:51 PM
this.

if my employee asks "why" i explain, and THEN ask if they have a better course of action.

usually at that point they agree or tell me how they would do it.

sometimes then i have to pull the "you are going to do it my way" at that point, because i know from experience they will take MUCH longer than my way, but usually there are two ways of getting to the same point.

Yup. That's the way it works in our shop too.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Yup. That's the way it works in our shop too.

i think that just because someone is in a superior position doesnt make them the be all end all.

thats why people love to work for me

ModSocks
05-10-2013, 03:55 PM
i think that just because someone is in a superior position doesnt make them the be all end all.

thats why people love to work for me

Yeah, and you're working with other skilled craftsmen you learn that there is more than one way to do it.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 03:57 PM
lol. you said "the kids laughed and called him a baby after he left were disagreeing with him"

They did....I'm pretty sure...I heard "baby" then giggling...and I read some of the comments that heard the same thing.

I was joking on the gang name...and I clearly posted the time of :57...which sounded a LOT like scorpion on my computer, but I already agreed that it was square biz on further listen. Hearing the one before , and having you point it out was helpful.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....it is my opinion that regardless of whether the teacher gave out packets or not, students shouldn't disrupt others, ignore being sent out, insult the teacher etc...

We don't have all of the info, but I doubt there is anything that would justify this type of behavior......If we could see the prior few minutes of the video, we could confirm this.

If you think that is an appropriate way to address problems in a classroom / professional setting, then awesome. I personally think there are better ways to handle things. That is what I would teach my students and my children.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Never claimed to be an awesome teacher, never, I just make one claim, "I care".
Yes I have kids disrupt my class and yes I see that as a learning opportunity for ALL of us, including ME. Most of the time we all come out of it for the better, occasionally not. But thats not going to keep me from caring.
That situation was not created by a bad student it was created by a bad teacher. Which is exactly why she is now on leave.

According to the article, she's now on leave because that's S.O.P.:

Ms. Phung, according to district, has been placed on leave with pay, after her meeting. The district says that is standard protocol during an investigation.

“I think most school districts will tell you it’s standard operating procedure whenever there’s any allegation of employee misconduct, that the staff member be placed on administrative leave, with pay pending the outcome of the investigation. We will go through that investigation and after we’ve gathered all the facts, then we will make a determination as to whether there was any misconduct or not,” said Dr. Alfred Ray, Duncanville ISD Superintendent.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/duncanville-high-teacher-on-leave-after-student-viral-video-rant/?_device=full

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Perhaps you should have comprehended Bob Dole's earlier post when you read it.

The only thing Bob Dole is too old to do at present is waste more of his remaining time talking to a wall. Have a super weekend.

I guess the butthurt business is booming.....you guys must be making an 'assload' of money 'hand over fist'

Mr. Wizard
05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
According to the article, she's now on leave because that's S.O.P. in complaints cases of this nature.

No good teacher would be removed from a classroom for what occurred in that video. The school is trying to save face and found that to be the easiest way out. Any teacher could sue the school for being removed from class for this video. Therefore it is quite obvious that there were previous underlying issues here. Anyone want to bet 100 bucks that she is not teaching in that school next year? Sad thing is I also bet she gets a job elsewhere.

Bump
05-10-2013, 04:03 PM

perhaps months of being handed packets to learn yourself would be irritating after a while?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:04 PM
A+ student, one I would hire since Bob Dole and JASON would clearly pass up on this "loser"

“He could have gone about it a different way. He could have stepped to the side with the teacher and not just made a class outburst,” said student Terrance Mitchell.

Bump
05-10-2013, 04:05 PM
and there must be a reason why the teacher was put on leave? must be...right?

NOPE

OBEY AUTHORITY AND DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD OR DIE

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 04:07 PM
No good teacher would be removed from a classroom for what occurred in that video. The school is trying to save face and found that to be the easiest way out. Any teacher could sue the school for being removed from class for this video. Therefore it is quite obvious that there were previous underlying issues here. Anyone want to bet 100 bucks that she is not teaching in that school next year? Sad thing is I also bet she gets a job elsewhere.

You're making a claim without any evidence on your side.

Bump
05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
anyways. I dont know the whole story either. I'm just speculating. But I like the kid and his speech.

And I can relate with shitty teachers. I went to JR High and High School in small town, redneck, church town Kansas. Boy let me tell you, the teachers there are MISERABLE. And they love the authority that they have over children. They get off on it. They chose favorites. Embarrassed kids being bullied further (not helping them, bullying wasn't an issue in those days and teachers often participated in the bullying).

There were a total of 2 teachers in my schools that were good teachers that I can recall. She actually tried to teach and help kids in a positive environment.

We also had a new principal in each year in high school. They kept getting fired. One of them was a good person.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
He sounds like the kind of kid who will some day talk back to the police and then wonder why they did a drum solo Rodney King-style on his head with their batons.

Mr. Wizard
05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I will say that as a teacher in a public school the constant video and picture taking does concern me. It will take a while for society to come to grips with the fact that anything we say or do can and will end up on the internet instantly and could be taken badly out of context an Mr Pawnmower states. Kids and adults lives are getting ruined daily by youtube/facebook etc... Scary
As a teacher I must get written permission to put a kids picture on our school website but a kid can take video of another kid/adult etc. without their knowledge and post them for the world to see in seconds. I find that very frightening for the future.

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 04:13 PM
He sounds like the kind of kid who will some day talk back to the police and then wonder why they did a drum solo Rodney King-style on his head with their batons.

This kid has "Don't tase me, bro" written all over him.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:16 PM
He also starts his rant with 'crap' which is a cuss word in my book...

Obviously not the worst word, but disrespectful nonetheless, and counterproductive if he truly wanted to have a conversation and not an ego driven rant.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
This kid has "Don't tase me, bro" written all over him.

Wonder if he'll become one of those "sovereign citizens" that think somehow the law doesn't apply to them. If so, I sure hope someone videotapes the hilarity that ensues when REAL authority gets real with him.

MTG#10
05-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Im going to go out on a limb and guess that everyone defending this clown were trouble makers/disobedient to teachers when they were in school. I was a dick to a lot of my teachers and to this day feel bad about it. Ive ran into a lot of them over the years because my children go to the same school and have apologized to them. I would take this kid more seriously if he:

a) wasn't an 18 year old sophomore

b) did this privately instead of trying to be a "hero" and making a scene

and c) if he didnt look/act like Jay from the Kevin Smith movies

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
A+ student, one I would hire since Bob Dole and JASON would clearly pass up on this "loser"

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/duncanville-high-teacher-on-leave-after-student-viral-video-rant/?_device=full which one of us is making shit up now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Im going to go out on a limb and guess that everyone defending this clown were trouble makers/disobedient to teachers when they were in school. I was a dick to a lot of my teachers and to this day feel bad about it. Ive ran into a lot of them over the years because my children go to the same school and have apologized to them. I would take this kid more seriously if he:

Yup, I was talking with a former teacher on Facebook one night and I apologized for being such a prick to him. I am embarrassed to this day about some of the things I did when I was younger.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:27 PM
He also starts his rant with 'crap' which is a cuss word in my book...

Obviously not the worst word, but disrespectful nonetheless, and counterproductive if he truly wanted to have a conversation and not an ego driven rant. well I will say the rant started when he was asked to leave.

I also admit that to you don't know how the teacher acted before the video just like I don't know how the student acted before the video.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Ill go out on a limb and say I could give a fuck less what someone thinks when
A. one of their points is about how the kid looks.
B. Isn't a known dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I guess if he put as much passion into his schoolwork as he did his speeches, he wouldn't be an 18 year old sophomore.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:30 PM
well I will say the rant started when he was asked to leave.

I also admit that to you don't know how the teacher acted before the video just like I don't know how the student acted before the video.
Posted via Mobile Device

No matter how the teacher 'acted' before the video, the disruption and insults and cussing were most likely unwarranted...(occams razor)

There arent many reasonable scenarios I can think of where an outburst and cussing and insults / refusal to leave are the proper course of action...

Maybe you and your business savvy self can present me with 4 or 5 though?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Ill go out on a limb and say I could give a **** less what someone thinks when
B. Isn't a known dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

the butthurt is strong in you....

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/mlmadmax/butthurt.png

MTG#10
05-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Ill go out on a limb and say I could give a **** less what someone thinks when
B. Isn't a known dumbass
Posted via Mobile DeviceYou cared enough to quote and reply to me dumbfuck.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
You cared enough to quote and reply to me dumbfuck.

Well when someone is obviously talking to me I'm going to tell you how I feel too.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
No matter how the teacher 'acted' before the video, the disruption and insults and cussing were most likely unwarranted...(occams razor)

There arent many reasonable scenarios I can think of where an outburst and cussing and insults / refusal to leave are the proper course of action...

Maybe you and your business savvy self can present me with 4 or 5 though?
Where did he cuss?

Oh crap? Your made up cuss word?
Posted via Mobile Device

Backwards Masking
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I guess if he put as much passion into his schoolwork as he did his speeches, he wouldn't be an 18 year old sophomore.

he wouldn't be enjoying fame either, even if it's only 15 minutes worth

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:38 PM
the butthurt is strong in you....

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/mlmadmax/butthurt.png
Maybe a little.

Why? Because I can look back and KNOW if I had had more teachers that cared and pushed me I would have done better.

The teachers that cared didn't ever have an issue with me.

Don't care and let me get bored you better look out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Dr. Alfred Ray, the superintendent for Duncanville ISD said, "less than 10 minutes after it occurred, the teacher cared so much about her student that she went down to the office with the assistant principal while someone else watched her class and they had a conversation in that office and came to some agreement and the student came back to the class later that same period."

Ray also admitted the "setting and the tone could have been different" about Bliss' statements.

Jeff Bliss said his mom was proud of him but said his attitude could have been better.

And the lead up, according to Bliss:

eff Bliss said he was standing up for his education but admits he could have handled it differently.

He hit a boiling point over a test in his World History class Tuesday morning.

"My question was, why we don't get the same amount of time to take the test as the rest of her classes," said Bliss.

He says his teacher replied with profanity telling him to stop his questioning and leave. That's when he erupted.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/22201163/duncanville-students-teacher-rant-goes-viral

So, in his own words, this was all because he wanted more time for a test, and he admits he could have dealt with it differently. This wasn't some grand plea for greatness in the teaching profession.

Backwards Masking
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
This wasn't some grand plea for greatness in the teaching profession.

It is now, thanks to bored Americans on the internet with nothing better to do than talk about it (myself included)

MTG#10
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/22201163/duncanville-students-teacher-rant-goes-viral

So, in his own words, this was all because he wanted more time for a test, and he admits he could have dealt with it differently. This wasn't some grand plea for greatness in the teaching profession.Shocking development. Kid is a punk just like I suspected.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:43 PM

So, in his own words, this was all because he wanted more time for a test, and he admits he could have dealt with it differently. This wasn't some grand plea for greatness in the teaching profession. but also said the AUTHORITY figure used profanity and then asked him to leave.

So the teacher cursed at the student first and the student a comes back but its all in the student

JFC you guys...
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Shocking development. Kid is a punk just like I suspected.

And you have proven to be a dumbass like I said.

The teacher cursed at the student.

Teacher was at fault from that point on. Seems as though the school agrees since I have read they were put on leave
Posted via Mobile Device

Backwards Masking
Shocking development. Kid is a punk just like I suspected.

A punk that went viral, something most ivy league doctors and lawyers will never attain, wrong reasons or not

Ming the Merciless
Where did he cuss?

Oh crap? Your made up cuss word?
Posted via Mobile Device

i suppose someone who was 4th in their class can't read a dictionary & didn't know crap was a vulgar word ?

https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=define:+crap&oq=define:+crapg

Well since you have been wrenching in your super successful business for years with all of your employees who you allow to disrupt and insult you during work, let me assure you that the word 'crap' is still considered inappropriate in schools....and in this context was rude...

The fact you fail to comprehend this confirms that you have a lack of awareness on these matters.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:47 PM
A punk that went viral, something most ivy league doctors and lawyers will never attain, wrong reasons or not

yes let us all celebrate him for going viral

even the school district

wow

SAUTO
i suppose someone who was 4th in their class can't read a dictionary & didn't know crap was a vulgar word ?

https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=define:+crap&oq=define:+crapg

Well since you have been wrenching in your super successful business for years with all of your employees who you allow to disrupt and insult you during work, let me assure you that the word 'crap' is still considered inappropriate in schools....and in this context was rude...

The fact you fail to comprehend this confirms that you have a lack of awareness on these matters. again I have never seen someone use crap as a curse word.

And again with you making shit up. Where did I say I have stood for an employee insulting me? Where did I say I stood for then to do anything out of line?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think there is a lot more to that video. the fact the other kids are not saying a single thing speaks volumes to me.

MTG#10
05-10-2013, 04:48 PM
And you have proven to be a dumbass like I said.

The teacher cursed at the student.

Teacher was at fault from that point on. Seems as though the school agrees since I have read they were put on leave
Posted via Mobile DeviceHe says the teacher cursed at him, I would be willing to bet that just like you, he's a clueless shitbag and made it up. Seriously, if this teacher was so bad dont you think the other students would have cheered after his rant? Instead they giggled...probably because he's a known dipshit acting like a dipshit.

I think there is a lot more to that video. the fact the other kids are not saying a single thing speaks volumes to me.

Exactly. DEAD GIVEAWAY /Charles Ramsey

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:48 PM

The fact you fail to comprehend this confirms that you have a lack of awareness on these matters.
Oh AND now we are hearing the teacher used profanity when questioned.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
again I have never seen someone use crap as a curse word.

you know vulgar means curse word, right? just look in a dictionary man

Backwards Masking
yes let us all celebrate him for going viral

even the school district

wow

you're celebrating it now by giving it your undivided attention, by your own choice, and if you respond to this post you'll be further celebrating it, even if you don't know or admit to it

Just Passin' By
but also said the AUTHORITY figure used profanity and then asked him to leave.

So the teacher cursed at the student first and the student a comes back but its all in the student

JFC you guys...
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not sure I get your point. People noted earlier that we didn't have enough info and I've now given more. This was some kid who wanted more time for a test.

The teacher using profanity is a separate issue, and one that's likely being looked at as part of the investigation. Hell, given that the teacher and kid were in the office 10 minutes later and the kid's back in class, the profanity may be what they're investigating. However, it wouldn't be prudent of me to jump the gun in the manner that the pro-Bliss group here did when they first saw the video.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:50 PM
He says the teacher cursed at him, I would be willing to bet that just like you, he's a clueless shitbag and made it up. Seriously, if this teacher was so bad dont you think the other students would have cheered after his rant? Instead they giggled...probably because he's a known dipshit acting like a dipshit. what am is clueless shit bag making shit up?

Again you areproven a dumbass. Don't you need to go find someone fucking your old lady or something?

If the teacher was in the right why are they saying she was put on leave?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless
Oh AND now we are hearing the teacher used profanity when questioned.
Posted via Mobile Device

it wasnt in the video, but that would certainly change things....as i stated previously

Ming the Merciless
The teacher using profanity is a separate issue, and one that's likely being looked at as part of the investigation. Hell, given that the teacher and kid were in the office 10 minutes later and the kid's back in class, the profanity may be what they're investigating. However, it wouldn't be prudent of me to jump the gun in the manner that the pro-Bliss group here did when they first saw the video.

ding ding ding

winner

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:51 PM
you know vulgar means curse word, right? just look in a dictionary man

I know the dictionary said its vulgar, which I'm not really sure is = to a curse word, but in mainstream society most people don't look at "crap" as a curse word...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
you're celebrating it now by giving it your undivided attention, by your own choice, and if you respond to this post you'll be further celebrating it, even if you don't know or admit to it

celebrating? hardly....you are one of those brats who thought negative attention is better than no attention...am i right?

MTG#10
05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
what am is clueless shit bag making shit up?

Again you areproven a dumbass.http://troll.me/images/angry-samuel-l-jackson/english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

Rasputin
05-10-2013, 04:53 PM
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/KCTattoo58/02gABm5EO_zpsb85e62b5.gif (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/KCTattoo58/media/02gABm5EO_zpsb85e62b5.gif.html)

Ming the Merciless
I know the dictionary said its vulgar, which I'm not really sure is = to a curse word, but in mainstream society most people don't look at "crap" as a curse word...
Posted via Mobile Device

if you were around ladies (strangers), old church ladies would you use the word?

if not its vulgar

use common sense

SAUTO
I'm not sure I get your point. People noted earlier that we didn't have enough info and I've now given more. This was some kid who wanted more time for a test.

Maybe if the teacher, you know the person paid to be in a supervisory position, would have handled THEMSELVES in a professional manner the situation would have played out differently.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:55 PM
if you were around ladies, old church ladies would you use the word?

if not its vulgar

use common sense

Shit I hear old church ladies say worse than that quite often. There is a church diagonal from my shop. I talk to them daily
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
http://troll.me/images/angry-samuel-l-jackson/english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

Autocorrect.

Where am I a clueless shit bag making shit up?

I'm not. Therefore you are a dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Shit I hear old church ladies say worse than that quite often. There is a church diagonal from my shop. I talk to them daily
Posted via Mobile Device

well between your church full of vulgar old ladies and your desire to hire fine young gentlemen like bliss, I guess you really 'win' this argument.

Crap is not a vulgar word and this guy acted in an upstanding, appropriate manner and should be emulated in schools everywhere.

you win

i tap

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Maybe if the teacher, you know the person paid to be in a supervisory position, would have handled THEMSELVES in a professional manner the situation would have played out differently.
Posted via Mobile Device

One does not excuse the other and, again, the profanity is a separate issue.

SAUTO
well between your church full of vulgar old ladies and your desire to hire fine young gentlemen like bliss, I guess you really 'win' this argument.

Crap is not a vulgar word and this guy acted in an upstanding, appropriate manner and should be emulated in schools everywhere.

you win

i tap actually most old ladies are pretty vulgar dude. lots of women are just like men when they are comfortable talking to you.

I can understand that you may have never been in a situation like that though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Backwards Masking
celebrating? hardly....you are one of those brats who thought negative attention is better than no attention...am i right?

you're giving it more power by talking about it than it would have if you left it alone. you're choosing to spend your free time making this kid more famous than he would be otherwise. you may be belittling him while you do it, but that "negative attention" helps him 10000x more than it hurts, if you don't get that, i don't know what to tell you

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:00 PM
One does not excuse the other.

Really? One is an adult paid to teach kids, one is a kid/young adult that the teacher is teaching.

You don't see the difference in accountability there?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
, the profanity is a separate issue.

No its not. The profanity could be what caused the disrespectful actions. If the teacher had handled it better from the start the student would have no reason to rant
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Really? One is an adult paid to teach kids, one is a kid/young adult that the teacher is teaching.

You don't see the difference in accountability there?
Posted via Mobile Device

What I see is you trying to change the subject that was being discussed rather than just admitting the obvious, which is that those who cautioned against buying into the video whole hog were right, and you and the others were wrong.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
What I see is you trying to change the subject that was being discussed rather than just admitting the obvious, which is that those who cautioned against buying into the kid's story whole hog were right, and you and the others were wrong.
What the fuck?
what did I buy about the story that was wrong?

We knew from the start the kid questioned something about the teachers teaching.

Now we know it was about packets and not getting as much time on a test.

None of that changes anything.

The teacher cussing at the student coming out actually does change things. It means the people that were against what the student were the ones who were wrong.

Student questions.

Teacher responds. Poorly.

Situation escalates.

Is the student actually in the wrong?

Only if you believe students should be mindless zombies and never question anything
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 05:21 PM
What the ****?
what did I buy about the story that was wrong?

We knew from the start the kid questioned something about the teachers teaching.

Now we know it was about packets and not getting as much time on a test.

None of that changes anything.

The teacher cussing at the student coming out actually does change things. It means the people that were against what the student were the ones who were wrong.

Student questions.

Teacher responds. Poorly.

Situation escalates.

Is the student actually in the wrong?

Only if you believe students should be mindless zombies and never question anything
Posted via Mobile Device

The kid was in the wrong to act the way he did, and this was agreed to by him, his mother and the school official, as I quoted. Whether circumstances were present that may have mitigated his punishment is a separate question.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
The kid was in the wrong to act the way he did, and this was agreed to by him, his mother and the school official, as I quoted. Whether circumstances were present that may have mitigated his punishment is a separate question.

Keep digging the hole if you wish, though. I have never said he couldn't have acted differently, or that his actions were right.

What I have said if that I can see why he acted that way, right from the start, and now can really see why.

Use some common sense, you are acting like he wanted more time on the test and the rant had nothing to do with it. Just out of the blue.

Common sense says the rant about packets and feeling that he was not actually being TAUGHT is the reason he questioned the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Basically I was saying he wasn't wrong to question the teacher in my last post you quoted. And saying that the teacher responding in a manner using profanity escalated the situation.

And must of the guys against the student, you know the ones you were saying were right, were also applauding the teachers handling of the situation. The same teacher that cussed at the student.

Yeah those guys were right...rolleyes
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Basically I was saying he wasn't wrong to question the teacher in my last post you quoted. And saying that the teacher responding in a manner using profanity escalated the situation.

And must of the guys against the student, you know the ones you were saying were right, were also applauding the teachers handling of the situation. The same teacher that cussed at the student.

Yeah those guys were right...rolleyes
Posted via Mobile Device

You're continuing the same mistake that people like Detoxing were making, and you're doing it after their position was exposed. Why are you swallowing the kid's side of the story with regards to the profanity when it hasn't been verified and is not a statement against his interest? It's something that clearly should require verification before a responsible person would buy it as a claim.

Also, where did I applaud the teacher?

Just Passin' By
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
I have never said he couldn't have acted differently, or that his actions were right.

What I have said if that I can see why he acted that way, right from the start, and now can really see why.

Use some common sense, you are acting like he wanted more time on the test and the rant had nothing to do with it. Just out of the blue.

Common sense says the rant about packets and feeling that he was not actually being TAUGHT is the reason he questioned the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

One of us is using common sense. That one is not you, however.

One of us is posting bullshit excuses and is insisting that this wasn't about what the kid actually said it was about. That would be you.

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:49 PM
One of us is using common sense. That one is not you, however.

One of us is posting bullshit excuses and is insisting that this wasn't about what the kid actually said it was about. That would be you. the kid said it was about time on a test.

he then rants about the teachers teaching methods.

Logic would lead one to see how the two would go hand in hand
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
You're continuing the same mistake that people like Detoxing were making, and you're doing it after their position was exposed. Why are you swallowing the kid's side of the story with regards to the profanity when it hasn't been verified and is not a statement against his interest? It's something that clearly should require verification before a responsible person would buy it as a claim.

Also, where did I applaud the teacher?
Number one I don't think I said you specifically were applauding the teacher's handling of the situation. Care to show me where I did?

Number two, the teacher is on leave for a reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
05-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I hated ever class in high school. But, one of the harder ones all the seniors hated was American Government. Teacher was no BS, but she would hold you accountable. Wouldn't give up on you. I loved that class. Took her world history class. Only other class was metal shop where I ended up doing 4hrs a day as independent study. I was going to go to trade school after HS but joined the Navy.

99% of the other classes I didn't learn a damn thing. That being said, I'm more of an artsy person. Musical. Learn by working with my hands and applying what I learned etc. .
I don't think I could get through a 4 yr degree even if you paid me. If I can't apply what I'm learning I just don't care. So like, 80% of college lol. More power to those who do. I know I'd never make it.

I couldn't remember hardly anything to this day. Almost like an academic blackout. Except for what I mentioned above.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
18 year old sophomore.

ROFL

That is also well articulated, and well spoken. Sounded like he had a desire to learn from that diatribe and was clearly frustrated that not enough instruction was being given. I'm siding with the kid so far. I'll have to dive further into this one to know for sure.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Well after diving in and reading what I could find on it, all the facts point toward the student being a fuck up, and while it's cool to see he passionately wants to learn even though he struggles with it, he went about it all wrong. He's the bad guy here from what I can see.

That said, his delivery and passion makes me suspicious of the teacher's passion about her job and career. I just can't imagine why on Earth a teacher would do the job for anything less than the satisfaction it gives in pursuing their passion. It's not like public school teachers make shit. It sure as fuck ain't the money...

Iowanian
05-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Nothing like an idiot philosopher.

I'll bet that kid just works his living ass off to learn.

Setsuna
05-11-2013, 12:47 AM
ROFL I can hear all the bleeding hearts in here backtracking. That beeping noise just won't stop. LMAO

notorious
05-11-2013, 08:31 AM
ROFL I can hear all the bleeding hearts in here backtracking. That beeping noise just won't stop. LMAO

No kidding. LMAO

Dave Lane
05-11-2013, 09:31 AM
swear that guy posts on CP somewhere, prolly DC forum

No he has an above average intellect so DC is out.

aturnis
05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zAsTXtowZVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like this kid.

I already know the reaction it's gonna get here but oh well...

Funny you think this would get anything but a positive reaction here. Maybe a few naysayers, but I expect most to agree with the kid.

Yet there are still people out there who support cuts to funding for education. Awesome.

TLO
05-11-2013, 12:10 PM
No classroom for long haired white kid.

Simply making an obersvation

Gonzo
05-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm sure most of CP is loving this dumbass' view on education. He's the reason why we'll be speaking Chinese in 30 years.
You think China's teachers would put up with this bullshit? No, that kid would be hanging by his testicles in the principals office for a week.

As far as the passivity of the teacher is concerned... That's what you get when you make 13 bucks an hour and you're still paying off student loans after 30 years.

Deberg_1990
05-11-2013, 01:45 PM
No disciplinary action against Duncanville student whose video went viral

http://educationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/05/no-disciplinary-action-against-duncanville-student-whose-video-went-viral.html/

UPDATE: The teacher, who the school district will not identify, has been placed on paid adminstrative leave pending an investigation. The investigation is not about what is seen on the video, but what led up to that.

Original post:

If you follow Gawker, Reddit, PhillyD or other arbiters of online information, you’ve likely seen the video that went up Tuesday: A student delivers an impassioned and largely civil critique of his teacher on the way out the door. The classroom was in Duncanville High School. The kid is sophomore Jeff Bliss. A classmate caught the rant on a cellphone and popped it onto YouTube where it quickly became a thing. Fox4 News has the video and a conversation with Bliss.

The Duncanville school district has been surprisingly moderate with its reaction to the controversy. The official statements have been careful to defend the right of students to express themselves about their education while saying that there are proper venues and methods for such. This morning’s news: Bliss met with the principal. The word from the district: “The principal and student visited this morning, and no further action will be taken regarding the student.”

All kinds of interesting issues raised here: The rights of teachers and students. Whether such a video should have been taken at all. What’s the best way to deliver a critique? What’s up with his hair? (Watch the video.)

If Bliss isn’t already on the debate team and I’m the Duncanville debate coach, I’d be making a recruitment visit.

Deberg_1990
05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I like how when the news interviewed him, he acts all straight laced and professional.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dSxElvdd0R4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But when a classmate interviewed him, he thugs it up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CBpDswLlW9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jspchief
05-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm sure most of CP is loving this dumbass' view on education. He's the reason why we'll be speaking Chinese in 30 years.
You think China's teachers would put up with this bullshit? No, that kid would be hanging by his testicles in the principals office for a week.

As far as the passivity of the teacher is concerned... That's what you get when you make 13 bucks an hour and you're still paying off student loans after 30 years.

China's parents wouldn't have allowed that shit either. America's problem is seeing that exchange and thinking its the school's job to lay down the tough discipline, when the reality is the teacher, principle, and school district operate under the constant shadow of looming lawsuits.

And I challenge to find a teaching job that only pays $13 per hour. Certainly teacher pay doesn't balance well with the cost of their education or the expectations our society places on them, but let's not pretend their pay entitles them to act like a McDonald's fry cook.

As for the video, my first thought is that we don't know enough about the teacher or kid to make an informed opinion. The kid could be a brilliant victim of the system calling out a terrible teacher, or we could be seeing a good teacher not taking the bait from a punk on one of his daily outbursts. My first impression is that the kid seems smart and appears to champion a worthy cause, but clearly also has some behavior/emotional issues.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
China's parents wouldn't have allowed that shit either. America's problem is seeing that exchange and thinking its the school's job to lay down the tough discipline, when the reality is the teacher, principle, and school district operate under the constant shadow of looming lawsuits.

And I challenge to find a teaching job that only pays $13 per hour. Certainly teacher pay doesn't balance well with the cost of their education or the expectations our society places on them, but let's not pretend their pay entitles them to act like a McDonald's fry cook.

As for the video, my first thought is that we don't know enough about the teacher or kid to make an informed opinion. The kid could be a brilliant victim of the system calling out a terrible teacher, or we could be seeing a good teacher not taking the bait from a punk on one of his daily outbursts. My first impression is that the kid seems smart and appears to champion a worthy cause, but clearly also has some behavior/emotional issues.

Cops down here start off at 11 an hour. Public service isn't known for great pay. Now, it gets comfortable after you've put in years of service, but pay grade largely depends on location. Chicago teachers make 2-3 times what teachers make in rural Kansas. And the cost of living isn't that great of a difference, which means the quality of life changes drastically depending on where you teach.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-11-2013, 02:23 PM
BTW, watching that kid speak on the 2nd video just posted, he's dumb as fuck and needs help across the board to improve his academic abilities. His rant tells me he's frustrated and wants to learn, but doesn't have enough people around that are willing to take the time to help him. That said, he's learning that life isn't always fair. The sooner we learn that, the better.

CoMoChief
05-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I like how when the news interviewed him, he acts all straight laced and professional.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dSxElvdd0R4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But when a classmate interviewed him, he thugs it up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CBpDswLlW9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The way I talk to my friends is much different than the way I talk to my folks, employers etc. just sayin'