PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some unnamed people at nfl.com think the AFC West is football's weakest division.

Rain Man
05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Excerpt below, taking out most of the useless stuff. These guys apparently don't understand the gamechanging value of having two top tackles on the same team.

Article on annoying nfl.com site that autostarts videos and ads so don't click it unless you don't trust me. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000168304/article/division-power-rankings-nfc-west-rises-to-the-top)

It was only a year ago that the NFC West was viewed as a lower-rung division. We created some Division Power Rankings via poll at Around The League last summer, not one of our four voters ranked the division above sixth. They finished seventh overall, which was one spot ahead of where NFL.com's Michael Lombardi ranked the division in 2011.

Now the division has the two favorites in the NFC along with a rising force that are the St. Louis Rams. We decided to take the same poll again Thursday following York's comments to see how the results would fare this year. Here goes:

1. NFC West
2. NFC North
3. AFC North
4. NFC South
5. NFC East
6. AFC South
7. AFC East
8. AFC West

» The voting was unanimous at the top and bottom. We all voted the NFC West as the best division in football, with the AFC West as everyone's pick for the bottom division. Even if the Kansas City Chiefs rise, the division lacks a strong No. 2.

lcarus
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Seems like not long ago at all that the NFC West was at the bottom of that list. How time flies and things change.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
ALEX SMITH WILL RISE!!!11

jspchief
05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Based on last year's play?

AFC West had 2 of the bottom 3 teams in the league, a team that finished in the bottom 3rd of the league and appears to be declining, and a division winner that isn't terribly convincing beyond their aging QB.

Conversely, The NFC West has two playoff teams with good defenses and QBs that have probably yet to peak, and a 3rd team with a lot of young talent.

Thig Lyfe
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm seeing double! FOUR Part Ones!

Rain Man
05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm seeing double! FOUR Part Ones!

Part 1 has two segments. I'll create another poll in the future that has Part 2, which has three segments.

MagicHef
05-11-2013, 01:40 PM

AFC West had 2 of the bottom 3 teams in the league, a team that finished in the bottom 3rd of the league and appears to be declining, and a division winner that isn't terribly convincing beyond their aging QB.

Conversely, The NFC West has two playoff teams with good defenses and QBs that have probably yet to peak, and a 3rd team with a lot of young talent.

#2 defense in the league isn't convincing?

But, I agree. 1 good team and 3 awful ones makes a very bad division.

jspchief
05-11-2013, 02:01 PM
#2 defense in the league isn't convincing?

But, I agree. 1 good team and 3 awful ones makes a very bad division.

No. Look at the offenses they faced. Only Bronco fans believe that defense is anywhere close to its statistical league ranking.

MagicHef
05-11-2013, 02:11 PM
No. Look at the offenses they faced. Only Bronco fans believe that defense is anywhere close to its statistical league ranking.

They faced the #1, #2, #7, #8, and #9 offenses last season.

notorious
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Seems like not long ago at all that the NFC West was at the bottom of that list. How time flies and things change.

Seems like not long ago at all that the AFC West was at the bottom of that list.

Oh, Wait.......

Tombstone RJ
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM

lol, wrong.

jspchief
05-11-2013, 02:38 PM
They faced the #1, #2, #7, #8, and #9 offenses last season.

Yeah. Now list the points you gave up to those teams.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
lol, wrong.

He's spot on dude

Pasta Little Brioni
05-11-2013, 05:10 PM
We are at the point now where fans on other boards go "It was a nice win, but AFC West doesn't count."

Pasta Little Brioni
05-11-2013, 05:11 PM

I know New England, Houston, and Baltimore absolutely raped that soft defense.

jspchief
05-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Don't forget Atlanta

Pasta Little Brioni
05-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Eggo was having their way till Rivers went full Shittard

Spott
05-11-2013, 05:28 PM
AFC West is pretty weak, exept for Denver. The Broncos probably won't lose a game in the division and will be the only team finishing over .500 in the West.

Rain Man
05-11-2013, 05:32 PM

It looks to me like teams that play the Broncos defense end up with very high rankings.

Hoover
05-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers = Worse division in the NFL. Nobody else can match that!

Now next year? Who knows.

jd34
05-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers = Worse division in the NFL. Nobody else can match that!

Now next year? Who knows.

Any division that has the Raiders in it is weak. LOL

It will be interesting to see what happens this season. I am on record as saying the Chiefs will win 9 games this season. SD was a disorganized mess under Turner. They have some nice talent there but the players were no longer listening to Turner. They could pull of 6 or 7 wins based on talent. Denver will win 10 games. That is not a bad division by any means except the Raiders will be lucky to win 2.

I believe the NFC East is due for a big decline. Dallas is bad and NYG is over-rated. Kelly has his work cut out for him in Philly. He has to overcome so very bad attitudes in some key players. They might surprise but...

MagicHef
05-11-2013, 06:54 PM

31, 14, 31, 27, 23

25.2 points on average, against teams that averaged over 28 points per game together over the season.

okcchief
05-11-2013, 07:02 PM
It's definitely is a battle between the AFC East and West. However, since the Jets have Geno and undoubtedly go 16-0 that will put them over the top.

Dave Lane
05-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Well the Chiefs and the raiders really pull down the average

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Well the Chiefs and the raiders really pull down the average

Killing property values like a Tejana tire shop...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter
05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
As for the OP, I had a tie with the NFCN/NFCW.

NFCW is probably more top-heavy as the other two teams (Zona/Rams) are unknowns IMO.

The NFCN has 2 teams that were in the SB/NFCCG somewhat recently, and both the Lions/Vikings made the playoffs within the last two years.

Psyko Tek
05-11-2013, 10:42 PM
nfc east strongest?
eli will win the rest are shit

AdumbGuy
05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Assuming I'm in the minority, but I always root for San Diego and Oakland in out of conference games. I loved it when the AFC west was a murderer's row, and wish it would become so again.

Fuck the broncos, however

Pasta Little Brioni
05-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Worst to first folks, but I'm not talking the division as a whole

acesn8s
05-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Even if the Kansas City Chiefs rise, the division lacks a strong No. 2.

Wait...Denver isn't a strong No. 2?

GoChargers
05-12-2013, 09:32 AM
SD was a disorganized mess under Turner. They have some nice talent there but the players were no longer listening to Turner. They could pull of 6 or 7 wins based on talent.

LOLWUT? The Chargers have one of the worst rosters in the league. They'll be lucky to win 4 games IMO. I'd love it if they won even less than 4 games - just the thought of Clowney in a Chargers uniform would make the tankfest bearable.

But yes, the AFC West sucks ass. The Donks are overrated - they'll romp through the regular season and then flame out immediately in the playoffs like the '06 Chargers, mainly because Peyton is a choke artist and John Fox is the second coming of Marty. The Chiefs will be mediocre at best depending on the level of suckitude Alice Smiff provides. And the Chargers and Faid are going to be complete dumpster fires, probably picking in the top 3 in the draft next year.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-12-2013, 09:37 AM
The rare Charger drafturbater.....cool

milkman
05-12-2013, 09:44 AM
The rare Charger fan.....cool

FYP

Discuss Thrower
05-12-2013, 10:04 AM
FYP
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

SeeingRed
05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
ALEX SMITH WILL RISE!!!11

I like this! I believe in Smith. Chiefs will contend for AFC West with Denver. Believe.

Molitoth
05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
AFC West is the weakest.
AFC East is the strongest. Steelers and Ravens are beasts every year, and the Bengals show up strong every once in awhile. The Browns are pretty much the only consistently weak team.

I'd say NFC West, but the Rams haven't been very tough since the greatest show on turf, the 49ers are just now a powerhouse again, and I'm still reserved on the Seahawks... I think they may be a fluke.

milkman
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
I like this! I believe in Smith. Chiefs will contend for AFC West with Denver. Believe.

If the Chiefs contend in the AFC West, it will be because Bob Dutton installs a system that utilizes and maximizes the talent on defense more than anything Alex Smith brings to the team.

Alex Smith will simply not **** up the formula with turnovers.

AFC West is the weakest.
AFC East is the strongest. Steelers and Ravens are beasts every year, and the Bengals show up strong every once in awhile. The Browns are pretty much the only consistently weak team.

I'd say NFC West, but the Rams haven't been very tough since the greatest show on turf, the 49ers are just now a powerhouse again, and I'm still reserved on the Seahawks... I think they may be a fluke.

That Seattle team is an outstanding defense, front to back, run the ball as effectively as any team in the league, and have an ascending dynamic playmaker at QB.

They, with the 9ers, re are to be SB contenders for years.

SAUTO
05-12-2013, 11:23 AM
31, 14, 31, 27, 23

25.2 points on average, against teams that averaged over 28 points per game together over the season.

Wow, you guys really held them back...
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
05-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Geez. A bunch of Debbie Downers here. The idea that the AFC West is the worst in the NFL assumes that the Chiefs and Chargers are BOTH going to be terrible teams next year. If one of those teams is average (7-8 wins), then this is not the worst division in football. That would go to the AFC East or the AFC South.

In the AFC East, you have one outstanding team and three teams who I doubt will crack .500. In the AFC South, you have no clear dominant team and two shitty teams. They are the 2010 AFC West -- shitty division that benefited off of a ridiculously easy schedule.

Prediction. KC and SD will both be average, and one could squeak by with either .500 or with 9 wins.