PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Updating my Weber grill...

Stewie
05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
This is not my Bullet, nor is it my charcoal grill. This is my natural gas (NG) Weber grill that I've had for 13 years. It's a freaking rock star for convenience.

There were internal parts showing some significant wear and some were falling apart. The worst culprits were the flavorizer bars and the cooking grate. I searched and searched for reasonable replacement parts but holy moly they're expensive. Fortunately, I found a guy in Poplar Bluff, MO that makes stainless flavorizer bars for much less than Weber (or their retailers) charges for enameled steel. I got them today and they fit perfectly! I bit the bullet and paid $40 for new grates. Not much of a choice out there for those.

I thought about buying a new NG grill (NG is more money), but the similar model to mine (Weber Genesis Gold) is now pushing $1000! Sheesh! I paid $299 in 2000.

Everything else looks great. The SS burners are nearly pristine after all these years.

Anyone else been through a Weber update? It ain't cheap, but damn they last a long time.

stonedstooge
05-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Updated my Smokey Joe by putting new charcoal in it yesterday and cooked chicken breasts

Stewie
05-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Updated my Smokey Joe by putting new charcoal in it yesterday and cooked chicken breasts

I use one of those for tailgating unless there's more than a couple of people.

penguinz
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I would rather eat Taco Bell than food off a gas grill.

Stewie
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Then never eat at any great steakhouse in the US. You'll be disappointed.

BlackHelicopters
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
My Weber is ten years old and going strong. I keep it clean and always covered when not in use. A warrior.

jspchief
05-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Was looking at buying weber gas this spring. Found a lot of reviews saying the new line doesn't measure up to past designs.

I ended up getting a charcoal kettle.

gblowfish
05-15-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a Weber Genesis. I keep it covered and inside on a screened in porch, so it's in great shape. It's the second one I've owned. Love em.

05-15-2013, 03:34 PM

dumbass

In58men
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/16/pedabumy.jpg

I'm a proud owner of this beast. Best BBQ on the market IMO.

Gas sucks balls

05-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Gas sucks balls

I own that too but the next level up. the one with a table. I like it but I get very impatient with it. Waiting 40 minutes to start the food gets on my nerves.

Stewie
05-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Gas sucks balls

Whatever. I own a kettle grill, too. You're a fucking genious!

What is your fuel? Do you wait two hours for the nuance to develop? Do you throw lump on the grill and think it's good, not knowing what it takes for flavor? Kingsford?

I really, really want to know.

gblowfish
05-15-2013, 04:00 PM
I own that too but the next level up. the one with a table. I like it but I get very impatient with it. Waiting 40 minutes to start the food gets on my nerves.

I have a gas grill, a weber charcoal kettle and a bullet shaped smoker. Different tools for different uses.

The gas grill is great for making dinner quick. You can grill a steak, or make BBQ shrimp, or chicken or shish-kabob in a hurry. Grill gets up to temp in about five or ten minutes.

Charcoal is a more involved process. Steaks and burgers taste great off charcoal, but clean up is a bitch.

Smoker is the messiest and longest process, but best way to make ribs and pork tenderloin. Best smokey flavor.

So, depending on how much time you have, and what you're trying to cook, all three are useful.

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Whatever. I own a kettle grill, too. You're a ****ing genious!

What is your fuel? Do you wait two hours for the nuance to develop? Do you throw lump on the grill and think it's good, not knowing what it takes for flavor? Kingsford?

I really, really want to know.

Depends on my mood and the event. If I'm at home wanting something quick and easy I use Kingsford. Don't worry I don't use lighter fluid like most. If I'm in no hurry to BBQ then I'll use a wood. Depending on what meat is choose I'll try to find the preferred wood.

People think just because you use charcoal you have to wait 45 minutes to even put the meat on the grill. Stupid rookies. I have bbqed numerous of times with the coals not being red. You have to learn to use your vents and indirect heat. I did a tri tip less then 30 minuets.

Everyone wants to think they're a master on the grill and I'm not one. I just know how to BBQ from a family business I worked for. I personally can taste the gas on "some" products. If I'm doing something that's expensive, I'll be one mad son of a bitch if it tasted like gas.

Stewie
05-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Depends on my mood and the event. If I'm at home wanting something quick and easy I use Kingsford. Don't worry I don't use lighter fluid like most. If I'm in no hurry to BBQ then I'll use a wood. Depending on what meat is choose I'll try to find the preferred wood.

People think just because you use charcoal you have to wait 45 minutes to even put the meat on the grill. Stupid rookies. I have bbqed numerous of times with the coals not being red. You have to learn to use your vents and indirect heat. I did a tri tip less then 30 minuets.

Everyone wants to think they're a master on the grill and I'm not one. I just know how to BBQ from a family business I worked for. I personally can taste the gas on "some" products. If I'm doing something that's expensive, I'll be one mad son of a bitch if it tasted like gas.

There are so many contradictions in this post I don't know how to respond, so I won't.

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
There are so many contradictions in this post I don't know how to respond, so I won't.

Lol Is it because I said "everyone thinks they're a master"? Okay, did a say I was a master? Nope. I just do the basics when it comes to bbqin. Quick an easy use charcoal. If I wanna go all out I'll get some wood to smoke.

I don't see anything wrong with my post. If you like gas and can't taste it then good for you. I personally can taste it myself, that's why I said it sucks. I'm also not the only one who can taste it neither. I know several people like that. Everyone's pallet is different.

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.hollandgrill.com/

I fucking love holland grills........mmmmmmmm

bevischief
05-15-2013, 04:23 PM
How much do you want to spend?

stonedstooge
05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Do you hook the natural gas grill up to pipes coming into your house? Does it have a regulator before it enters the grill? Never even knew they made natural gas grills

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Do you hook the natural gas grill up to pipes coming into your house? Does it have a regulator before it enters the grill? Never even knew they made natural gas grills

nope , you dont use a regulator - the natural gas is already well regulated.

I been rocking natural gas for years, its so nice..easy to install too

stonedstooge
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
nope , you dont use a regulator - the natural gas is already well regulated.

I been rocking natural gas for years, its so nice..easy to install too

So no propane taste? Sounds awesome

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Lol Is it because I said "everyone thinks they're a master"? Okay, did a say I was a master? Nope. I just do the basics when it comes to bbqin. Quick an easy use charcoal. If I wanna go all out I'll get some wood to smoke.

I don't see anything wrong with my post. If you like gas and can't taste it then good for you. I personally can taste it myself, that's why I said it sucks. I'm also not the only one who can taste it neither. I know several people like that. Everyone's pallet is different.

you are full of shit, you cant taste gas...if anything its charcoal that leaves a taste...

some like charcoal taste , some don't.....

gas is more flexible...since you can always add smoke via chips etc

you cant taste gas....its the lack of charcoal you are tasting

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:40 PM
So no propane taste? Sounds awesome

i never tasted propane.....

i do taste charcoal though

stonedstooge
05-15-2013, 04:41 PM
i never tasted propane.....

i do taste charcoal though

Always seemed to me anyway when cooking with propane, there was a nasty aftertaste.

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:44 PM
you are full of shit, you cant taste gas...if anything its charcoal that leaves a taste...

some like charcoal taste , some don't.....

gas is more flexible...since you can always add smoke via chips etc

you cant taste gas....its the lack of charcoal you are tasting

You're telling me what I can taste and what I can't taste?

Okay.........

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Always seemed to me anyway when cooking with propane, there was a nasty aftertaste.

i suppose its possible you had a defective burner that wasnt burning properly but i highly doubt it

go to one of these:

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/calendar.cookouts/index.htm

to taste the best bbq grills on the planet, gas & propane

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
i suppose its possible you had a defective burner that wasnt burning properly but i highly doubt it

go to one of these:

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/calendar.cookouts/index.htm

to taste the best bbq grills on the planet, gas & propane

So "nobody" can actually taste gas because you can't?

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
You're telling me what I can taste and what I can't taste?

Okay.........

youre trying to tell me burning charcoal doesnt impart flavors but somehow burning gas does

LOL

durp

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
So "nobody" can actually taste gas because you can't?

yes havent you heard all food cooked in gas ovens tastes like shit and the best ovens use charcoal?

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
youre trying to tell me burning charcoal doesnt impart flavors but somehow burning gas does

LOL

durp

Like I said dip shit, everyone's pallet is different.

Dunerdr
05-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Just bought a weber q320 cant wait to cook on it. Waiting to break it in when i move in my new house monday. I feel like hank hill jimp over a grill lol.

Ming the Merciless
http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/charcoal_grills_vs_gas_grills.html

charcoal makes more smoke than gas, although, when lit completely, when fed the proper amount of oxygen, good charcoal produces very little visible smoke. In fact, the best tasting smoke is called blue smoke and is barely visible. If you are using gas, the smoke from combustion is rarely visible, but there are still flavorful combustion gases given off.

A lot of the smoke happens as drippings from the food hit the hot surfaces below. Meat drippings are mostly water, fat, and protein, plus whatever you have added, such as marinade barbecue sauce. When they hit the heat source they vaporize and some of that vapor condenses on the meat. Most gas grills cover the flame jets with metal plates, lava rock, or ceramic rocks that absorb the heat and radiate it, but the food is not exposed directly to flame. Drippings may hit these radiant surfaces where they are vaporized, making smoke and steam, much like charcoal. Some new gas grills have "infrared" burners which are superheated surfaces that are very close to the meat and more vapors get back to the meat with these burners.

There is also a difference in the flavor imparted by the volatile by-products given off by the burning of the charcoal or the gas. When propane combusts it makes more steam than charcoal, and that may help keep meat moist giving gas an advantage for some meats. Some cooks think the steam can be a disadvantage for some meats, hampering chicken skin from getting crisp for example. Charcoal produces more tiny particulates that land on the surface of the meat. But, smoke is not likely to significantly change the flavor of food that is cooked quickly such as hot dogs, burgers, or skinny steaks.

chimney for starting barbecueThere is one other flavor difference of note. If you use self-igniting charcoal or charcoal fluid to start a charcoal fire, there can be an unpleasant petrochemical smell during ignition and it can get into the food. Yuk. For this reason you should use a charcoal chimney, a torch, or an electric charcoal starter.

In58men
yes havent you heard all food cooked in gas ovens tastes like shit and the best ovens use charcoal?

Totally a different process of the way it's being used. Holy shit you are fucking stupid.

Ming the Merciless
Like I said dip shit, everyone's pallet is different.

yes, those of fucking morons like yourself especially

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/charcoal_grills_vs_gas_grills.html

I should really believe this article because it was found on the interwebs

Ming the Merciless
Totally a different process of the way it's being used. Holy shit you are ****ing stupid.

explain to me how indirect cooking in a gas grill is so different from cooking in a gas oven that somehow the 'awful smells' in your food aren't there with an oven but they are there when you gas grill

In58men
yes, those of ****ing morons like yourself especially

You're a die hard gas griller aren't you? Lol

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I should really believe this article because it was found on the interwebs

so i should believe you?

have you had this 'nasty' gas flavor every time youve had food from a gas grill or broiler ?

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
You're a die hard gas griller aren't you? Lol

nope i have had and use everything, have charcoal grill/smoker but my main weapon is gas grill.

youre just a moron

In58men
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
so i should believe you?

have you had this 'nasty' gas flavor every time youve had food from a gas grill or broiler ?

Here's where you're getting smarter. I never said you should believe me. I have had food literally taste like gas. I have owned a gas grill for a long time. I guess my pallet changed over the years, because it can do that ya know. I began to really get into bbqing and tasting everything with a little more detail.

I'm don't prefer gas. Nothing is wrong about that. Smoke a pork shoulder on gas and let me know how it tastes.

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm don't prefer gas. Nothing is wrong about that. Smoke a pork shoulder on gas and let me know how it tastes.

youre an idiot....if you smoke it at a low temp, with soaked wood chips you can do just as good of a job, hell if you want charcoal taste you could even burn charcoal in a gas grill.....

its more flexible to use gas....

with smoking it doesnt matter the heat source..it matters the SMOKE source and being able to hit a certain temperature for a certain time

piss off

MTG#10
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
I prefer charcoal grilling. I actually like the flavor the charcoal adds to the meat. I cant taste the gas, but cooking on a gas grill doesn't give the same flavor as my kettle. I understand the convenience aspect, but if Im going to grill something I dont care about convenience...Im going all out. For smoking, there's no gas smoker that can even come close to the ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and tri-tip I make in my WSM.

In58men
05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
lol wut?

Chicken products and seafood manly. If I'm cooking low and slow (4hrs or more) I can taste it in red meat as well.

DaveNull
05-15-2013, 05:37 PM
nevermind.

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I prefer charcoal grilling. I actually like the flavor the charcoal adds to the meat. I cant taste the gas, but cooking on a gas grill doesn't give the same flavor as my kettle. I understand the convenience aspect, but if Im going to grill something I dont care about convenience...Im going all out. For smoking, there's no gas smoker that can even come close to the ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and tri-tip I make in my WSM.

I agree with the flavor aspect, charcoal adds a flavor that isnt there in gas

But to me, theres really no type of smoke you cant add with a gas grill, using a simple smoke box and wood chips.....

So for me its easier to get exactly the flavor i want by starting with plain gas, and using the kind of wood chips i want rather than using charcoal....

unless off course you are looking to get charcoal flavor, which is good...but i dont want that all the time

FlaChief58
05-15-2013, 06:20 PM
I smoke & grill with propane and have never had any complaints concerning a gas taste. OTOH, I cant say the same when I used charcoal back in the day.

I like the fact that I have excellent control of the temp, and setup is so much quicker, not to mention I dont have to fuck with the fire all day while I'm trying to entertain my family & friends.

chiefzilla1501
05-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I smoke & grill with propane and have never had any complaints concerning a gas taste. OTOH, I cant say the same when I used charcoal back in the day.

I like the fact that I have excellent control of the temp, and setup is so much quicker, not to mention I dont have to **** with the fire all day while I'm trying to entertain my family & friends.

This. Smoking is great on gas especially with a water pan.

KCFaninSEA
05-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I have had my Weber for about 10 years. It still looks and performs as if brand new. I did change the grilling surface and flavor bars and they are a bit expensive but when they go in it is like brand new again. The quickness of going from start up to done is great. Temperature settings work great and I have a rotisserie that I cook Christmas Prime Rib with every year. Never a complaint, comes out perfect every time. How can anybody go wrong with that.

A Salt Weapon
05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
FYI: you can turn an LP grill into nat gas by drilling out the orifice and removing the regulator.

A Salt Weapon
05-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Pretty impressive that you can "taste" gas, carbon dioxide and water vapor is the byproduct of properly combusted propane, or if you are smelling mercaptan and tasting it via smell, fill up your bottle or buy a new one.

Ming the Merciless
05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Pretty impressive that you can "taste" gas, carbon dioxide and water vapor is the byproduct of properly combusted propane, or if you are smelling mercaptan and tasting it via smell, fill up your bottle or buy a new one.

you are giving too much credit to a retard.

he is full of shit

rep for being nice tho

A Salt Weapon
05-15-2013, 09:04 PM
you are giving too much credit to a retard.

he is full of shit

rep for being nice tho

Well thank you. Pretty impressive rep stick you have there too.

tooge
05-15-2013, 09:39 PM
First off, u aren't bbqing on direct heat, u are grilling.
Second, gas doesn't impart flavor at all because it burns "clean", whereas charcoal or wood do impart a flavor. I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. A chimney does the trick in 20 mins. They shouldn't even sell that crap

05-15-2013, 11:17 PM
First off, u aren't bbqing on direct heat, u are grilling.
Second, gas doesn't impart flavor at all because it burns "clean", whereas charcoal or wood do impart a flavor. I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. A chimney does the trick in 20 mins. They shouldn't even sell that crap

shit, I purchased a chimney and it takes much longer than 20 minutes for me. I threw the thing out. I don't care if the lighter fluid affects the taste since I don't use much and I am not even in the same ballpark as an expert griller. I don't have the patience for that.

To be honest, I am just waiting for a good deal on a gas grill again and will probably sell my weber.

Sears had a decent deal on a 4 burner unit but they wouldn't give the warranty for it because it was a floor model. Even though it had NEVER been used.

Simply Red
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
This is not my Bullet, nor is it my charcoal grill. This is my natural gas (NG) Weber grill that I've had for 13 years. It's a freaking rock star for convenience.

There were internal parts showing some significant wear and some were falling apart. The worst culprits were the flavorizer bars and the cooking grate. I searched and searched for reasonable replacement parts but holy moly they're expensive. Fortunately, I found a guy in Poplar Bluff, MO that makes stainless flavorizer bars for much less than Weber (or their retailers) charges for enameled steel. I got them today and they fit perfectly! I bit the bullet and paid $40 for new grates. Not much of a choice out there for those.

I thought about buying a new NG grill (NG is more money), but the similar model to mine (Weber Genesis Gold) is now pushing $1000! Sheesh! I paid $299 in 2000.

Everything else looks great. The SS burners are nearly pristine after all these years.

Anyone else been through a Weber update? It ain't cheap, but damn they last a long time.

Stewie, yes I have - it's worth the $35 bucks or so.

The Webers are good burger grills.

05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Did it feel good sliding in?

That statement combined with your username made me LMAO

Ming the Merciless
05-16-2013, 02:24 AM
i have the weirdest boner

mikeyis4dcats.
05-16-2013, 07:20 AM
shit, I purchased a chimney and it takes much longer than 20 minutes for me. I threw the thing out. I don't care if the lighter fluid affects the taste since I don't use much and I am not even in the same ballpark as an expert griller. I don't have the patience for that.

To be honest, I am just waiting for a good deal on a gas grill again and will probably sell my weber.

Sears had a decent deal on a 4 burner unit but they wouldn't give the warranty for it because it was a floor model. Even though it had NEVER been used.

how would they prevent you from having a warranty? were they going to mark the receipt?

A Salt Weapon
05-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Did it feel good sliding in?

It wasn't bad, I was a little scared at first and peed a bit.

morphius
05-16-2013, 08:56 AM

What kind of chimney, my weber one is awesome. Don't even really feel like we are waiting on it.

jspchief
05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
What kind of chimney, my weber one is awesome. Don't even really feel like we are waiting on it.

Agree. Chimney starters are amazing.

In58men
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM

This.

tooge
05-16-2013, 11:12 AM

If you use an electric starter ring, they fire right up. You don't need to wait till flames are coming out the top, just about half way up. Remember, unless you are using some sort of pre soaked coals (never!), then the coals wont have an off taste if they aren't red.

mr. tegu
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I am in the market for a new grill. I have only ever used charcoal with lighter fluid but I am exploring my options now that I can put a little more money into something for our house. I had heard of those chimney starters but it seems like a bit of a hassle to put the charcoal in one thing then transfer it to another. Is that what is done? And how much quicker is it actually?

I was also looking at a charcoal weber grill that apparently uses a Touch N Go iginition system (propane I guess) to light the charcoal. Would that or a chimney starter be more beneficial than the other?

Bugeater
05-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I have a cheap piece of crap one I bought from Garden Ridge and while I've never timed it, it seems like it gets it going in 10-15 minutes. I use lump instead of briquets so maybe that's the difference.

Bugeater
05-16-2013, 11:50 AM
I am in the market for a new grill. I have only ever used charcoal with lighter fluid but I am exploring my options now that I can put a little more money into something for our house. I had heard of those chimney starters but it seems like a bit of a hassle to put the charcoal in one thing then transfer it to another. Is that what is done? And how much quicker is it actually?

I was also looking at a charcoal weber grill that apparently uses a Touch N Go iginition system (propane I guess) to light the charcoal. Would that or a chimney starter be more beneficial than the other?
Newspaper that you can normally scrounge up for free seems more beneficial to me vs propane or charcoal starter.

And you just have to dump the charcoal into the grill once it's going, it's not really a hassle at all.

morphius
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Newspaper that you can normally scrounge up for free seems more beneficial to me vs propane or charcoal starter.

And you just have to dump the charcoal into the grill once it's going, it's not really a hassle at all.
Yup, I just look around for some paper that will burn and go with it.

I've heard some mixed results on the non-weber branded versions of the chimneys, seems hit or miss, but glad you got a hit! I knew with my luck that if I tried to go cheaper I would end up with a crappy one, and what I saved by not buying yet another gas grill made up for it, lol.

mr. tegu
05-16-2013, 12:18 PM

That is actually a good thing since the one with the propane starter is $50 more and the weber chimney starter is only $15 at The Home Depot. Do you wait until the coals are red hot and turning to ash or do you transfer them soon after lighting?

jspchief
05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
That is actually a good thing since the one with the propane starter is $50 more and the weber chimney starter is only $15 at The Home Depot. Do you wait until the coals are red hot and turning to ash or do you transfer them soon after lighting?

I wait until I'm getting ash, but it really doesn't take long at all.

Spend the $15. You'll be happy with it.

mr. tegu
05-16-2013, 12:26 PM
I wait until I'm getting ash, but it really doesn't take long at all.

Spend the $15. You'll be happy with it.

Cool. I am not really concerned with the time it takes. Part of the fun of grilling is being outside and enjoying your yard. I just want to make sure if I go this route I do it correctly by placing the coals in the grill at the right time and using the right amount. I also like the idea of using charcoal without needing lighter fluid.

One more question. So you light the chimney from the bottom, do the charcoals heat up at different rates depending on whether they are on top, in the middle, or on the bottom?

gblowfish
05-16-2013, 12:34 PM
A charcoal chimney is the way to go. I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. No need for it, no need to add the chemicals to the mix. A charcoal chimney works like a champ.

morphius
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Cool. I am not really concerned with the time it takes. Part of the fun of grilling is being outside and enjoying your yard. I just want to make sure if I go this route I do it correctly by placing the coals in the grill at the right time and using the right amount. I also like the idea of using charcoal without needing lighter fluid.

One more question. So you light the chimney from the bottom, do the charcoals heat up at different rates depending on whether they are on top, in the middle, or on the bottom?
Yup, bottom will heat up first. I generally wait till the top ones are somewhat lit and then dump them. Though sometimes I come back and I have a ball of red hot screaming fire coming from the thing. If you are looking to cook longer, I assume the first way makes more sense as the hotter coals will burn out first and the others will continue to burn.

Ming the Merciless
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM

this... just pre load it up while you are bbqing, keep dry so its ready to roll for next time...

they work awesome