PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What to expect from Justin Houston this year

RunKC
05-17-2013, 10:01 PM
His rookie year he had obvious struggles in the first half of the season, but ever since then he's been on fire.

He's gotten 15.5 sacks in his last 21 games and 5 of those games he got multiple sacks.

The astonishing part about this is that he was just getting the hang of the NFL his rookie year and last year he didn't get to pin his ears back until week 9. And on top of that, Romeo was stupid and put dropped him into coverage far too much, even on 3rd down sometimes.

With him getting better and better and finally playing in an attack-style defense, what do you believe is the accurate prediction for his sack total this year?

I'm gonna say 15. If there is one player I'm going full homer on this year, it's him.

In58men
05-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Hopefully take out Manning and Tyler Wilson.

Tyler could destroy us for seasons to come.

TribalElder
05-17-2013, 10:12 PM
I expect moar synchronized dancing with his partner ganja hali

Rasputin
05-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I expect lots of sacks. Would be awesome if he leads the league.

Ceej
05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
MOAR PAIN!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Hopefully take out Manning and Tyler Wilson.

Tyler could destroy us for seasons to come.

Tyler Wilson fucking sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

In58men
05-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Tyler Wilson ****ing sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

You tell'em

boogblaster
05-17-2013, 10:34 PM
we need the whole D to step up this year .....

RunKC
05-17-2013, 10:34 PM
I expect to see a lot more of this this season.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1246363/houstonsack2_medium.gif

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1246327/houstonsack_medium.gif

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/chiefs-celebration-11-12-12.gif

ThaVirus
05-17-2013, 10:39 PM

They were such fucking idiots that game.

Thig Lyfe
05-18-2013, 12:44 AM
You guys think he could maybe play TE?

Fish
05-18-2013, 12:47 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eVrb-fJDY0s/UDJl1ctyCdI/AAAAAAAAGh4/cSpoaA2Ouaw/s1600/40+lb+box+of+rape+taped+shut+dr+heckle+funny+wtf+pictures.jpg

ChiefAshhole20
05-18-2013, 01:12 AM
That last GIF was by far my favorite moment of this past season. I hope they do stupid shit like that again this year (without the penalty), bring some fun back to this team.

TinyEvel
05-18-2013, 02:02 AM
I'm just sorta disappointed they gave him Kawika "the missile" Mitchell's number. I was really hoping they'd retire that number after he left. I mean, nobody jumped on top of a pile of guys on the ground like KW did.

--TrueFan

milkman
05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
If Poe continues to develop in the middle and gets that push that keeps the QB from stepping up in the pocket, Hali and Houston could have 28-30 sacks between them.

Rasputin
05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
If Poe continues to develop in the middle and gets that push that keeps the QB from stepping up in the pocket, Hali and Houston could have 28-30 sacks between them.

I would still move Poe over to T Jack spot as I think he has more versatility along the line but not great power over the middle. Then put Powe over the center and see what happens.

That way we can get Poe and Powe on the field at the same time.

Even if for just a few packages a game.

This could help out in the sacks for the linebackers imo.

MTG#10
05-18-2013, 10:52 AM
18 sacks this year

Bowser
05-18-2013, 10:55 AM
MOAR PAIN!!!!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/MooCriket/screenhunter_03-dec-10-1329-1.jpg (http://s263.photobucket.com/user/MooCriket/media/screenhunter_03-dec-10-1329-1.jpg.html)

Gonzo
05-18-2013, 11:34 AM
He's got the potential to be one of the best LB's in the game right now. If they do install the attack D that we're expecting this year, the defense will win several games on its own. KC could have the best D in the league this year if they do this right and just blitz like a mofo 80% of the time.

Rasputin
05-18-2013, 11:38 AM
He's got the potential to be one of the best LB's in the game right now. If they do install the attack D that we're expecting this year, the defense will win several games on its own. KC could have the best D in the league this year if they do this right and just blitz like a mofo 80% of the time.

I can be down with this :D

At least something to be excited about this season.

With the added blitzes then I'm going to add and expect more turnovers as a result from the blitzes. Sounds good to me. Force passes too soon or stripping the quarterback of the ball as he is hit. Stripping his pride and dignity all together.

Bowser
05-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Just look at the defensive backfield we have going. Our corners are built for press coverage, and Poe has the potential to be a beast in an attacking 1-gap style. Just what you look for in blitzing 3-4 scheme.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
You guys are giving me hope.....stop it!!

Where's mjac to tell us you need 2 deep in ProBowlers at all 11 positions to have a top defense?

Halfcan
05-18-2013, 12:32 PM

:thumb:

MrGiggity
05-18-2013, 01:13 PM

If they put up those type of numbers I would be soooooooooooo happy.

ThaVirus
05-18-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd like to think Houston and Hali will bust out 30 sacks between the two of them, but I still feel we're too weak at the DE positions for that to happen. I have absolutely zero faith in any DE we have on this roster to generate consistent pressure on passing downs.

Sfeihc
05-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I expect Houston and Hali to meet at Peyton Manning's leg and make a bone stick out from the skin. That's all.

RunKC
05-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm still worried about the DL . Devito has played in this system and didn't do jack in the pass rush.

Jackson had a little success at the end of last year, but I'm not confident in him either. Poe on the other hand looks like he could be a solid NT in the 1 gap.

It's all up to the DL. They don't even have to rack up sacks. I'll be happy if they consistently get push up the middle and take away the space for a QB to step up in the pocket and feel uncomfortable.

Halfcan
05-18-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm still worried about the DL . Devito has played in this system and didn't do jack in the pass rush.

Jackson had a little success at the end of last year, but I'm not confident in him either. Poe on the other hand looks like he could be a solid NT in the 1 gap.

It's all up to the DL. They don't even have to rack up sacks. I'll be happy if they consistently get push up the middle and take away the space for a QB to step up in the pocket and feel uncomfortable.

I want to see hard hitting sacks. Lots of them.

durtyrute
05-18-2013, 02:42 PM

That was a sack and a fumble.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Called back right?

Wasn't that the 2nd TD call they got boned on? Don't recall if it was a legit call or not. I know for sure they got fucked against Baltimore.

How easily this team could have beaten playoff caliber teams like Balt, Pitt, Indy, and Denver last year with even DECENT QB play.

ChiefAshhole20
05-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Called back right?

Wasn't that the 2nd TD call they got boned on? Don't recall if it was a legit call or not. I know for sure they got ****ed against Baltimore.

How easily this team could have beaten playoff caliber teams like Balt, Pitt, Indy, and Denver last year with even DECENT QB play.

THAT'S the reason I'm excited about Alex. Not because he is great by any means, but because this team was so close to beating quality teams with absolute trash at QB and HC. Now we have Above-average to good candidates at both spots, so now I can't wait to see how we do

Pasta Little Brioni
05-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Yup, it's nice to have the best coach in the division

hometeam
05-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Houston is gonna go straight up waterboy on that ass.

http://gifsoup.com/view/1058357/bobby-boucher-o.gif
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/169070/waterboy-o.gif
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/4128768/waterboy-o.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyegs2dHxl1r0re1to1_r1_500.gif

Prison Bitch
05-18-2013, 07:49 PM
If Justin Houston gets 15 sacks this year, I'll piss into a water bottle and guzzle it in front of the entire ChiefsPlanet.

Saccopoo
05-18-2013, 08:05 PM

My god...Bailey is an absolute specimen.

You guys wanting some one gap penetration from the defensive end position are about to get it.

I still think that they should be and likely will be running some 46 sets out of this defense. Powe, Poe, Bailey and Berry are absolutely tailor made for it. Sutton has experience in the 46 under Ryan and I can't think that he's looking at Powe and Poe and just salivating to put that look out every once and a while.

beach tribe
05-18-2013, 09:08 PM
If Justin Houston gets 15 sacks this year, I'll piss into a water bottle and guzzle it in front of the entire ChiefsPlanet.

You are either brave or stupid.
He is more than capable if turned loose.

Sorter
05-18-2013, 11:24 PM

You guys wanting some one gap penetration from the defensive end position are about to get it.

I still think that they should be and likely will be running some 46 sets out of this defense. Powe, Poe, Bailey and Berry are absolutely tailor made for it. Sutton has experience in the 46 under Ryan and I can't think that he's looking at Powe and Poe and just salivating to put that look out every once and a while.

As far as personnel goes, there's no reason why you couldn't get a few 46 snaps each game.

I love(d) Bailey and am a pretty big homer but I'm not sure he's the answer at the 3. Serviceable, maybe. I really want a dominating 3-tech though to pair with Tamba/Houston. Can you imagine Geno Atkins/Watt/Smith/Richardson on this team?

Sorter
05-18-2013, 11:26 PM

I've actually seen someone make that bet on a forum and own up to it.

Fucking disgusting. AbitoftheoldUltraviolence was his name.

RunKC
05-18-2013, 11:31 PM
As far as personnel goes, there's no reason why you couldn't get a few 46 snaps each game.

I love(d) Bailey and am a pretty big homer but I'm not sure he's the answer at the 3. Serviceable, maybe. I really want a dominating 3-tech though to pair with Tamba/Houston. Can you imagine Geno Atkins/Watt/Smith/Richardson on this team?

I think that's what the defense is missing from being a capable top 5 unit: a true presence on the DL. I really hope Poe becomes a monster in this system.

Sucks because a good DL will help help everybody out so much.

Sorter
05-18-2013, 11:35 PM
I think that's what the defense is missing from being a capable top 5 unit: a true presence on the DL. I really hope Poe becomes a monster in this system.

Sucks because a good DL will help help everybody out so much.

That's why I wanted Sheldon at 1.1.

If that guy gets his shit together, he's going to be incredibly effective. There wasn't a 3 tech prospect like him in this draft and I doubt there's going to be one this year (granted, I'm fairly ignorant as to this year's 3 techs right now).

RunKC
05-18-2013, 11:41 PM

If that guy gets his shit together, he's going to be incredibly effective. There wasn't a 3 tech prospect like him in this draft and I doubt there's going to be one this year (granted, I'm fairly ignorant as to this year's 3 techs right now).

What about Datone Jones? I really liked him as a prospect. Rocked up 280 lbs and very fast with a motor.

Sorter
05-19-2013, 12:49 AM
What about Datone Jones? I really liked him as a prospect. Rocked up 280 lbs and very fast with a motor.

I like Jones but he isn't the same as far as explosiveness, technique, and physicality goes.

it didn't seem to me that there was another interior pass rusher with the skills and versatility in this draft like Sheldon. I really, really want one of those next to Houston for subs. If they can do it out of base fronts too, that's an added bonus. Just think of it like this: Going up against an empty look, we'd likely have a sub front of Hali, Poe, Sheldon, and Houston. You would have to leave a back or TE in on nearly all of your 5-step concepts as you can't effectively block that 4 man front out of a 5 man pro scheme due to the matchups. Additionally, Sheldon is athletic enough to drop and utilize some fun FZ concepts.

Saccopoo
05-19-2013, 02:18 AM

I think that you are going to see a different Allen Bailey this next season. I thought he flashed a lot more his rookie year than he did last season, which I'm going to chalk up to piss poor coaching. And he really didn't see the field that much last season as it looked like they were attempting to get as many reps for Dorsey as they could for whatever reason.

Anyway, I thought that Bailey during his rookie season was able to get better penetration than anybody else on the defensive line.

And if you are wanting a Sheldon Richardson guy, Bailey was/is that guy. His combine numbers were outstanding:

6'3"
285 lbs.
34 1/2" arms
4.71 40 yard dash
27 reps
36.5" vertical
117" broad
4.56 20 shuttle
7.43 cone

Those are amazing numbers for a guy his size. And here's his overview by nfl.com:

Bailey could occupy a few different roles in a 4-3 defense. May find a home as a strong side end or at defensive tackle and certainly provides a coordinator the versatility to move him around. Uses his hands, power moves and good get off to pressure the passer. Very complete against the run. Holds his base very well, gets off blocks, fights through double teams and is a sure tackler when arriving at the ball-carrier. Shows sound awareness and positioning on the field. Relentless in pursuit either from the backside or down the field. Bailey's a probable first round pick.

Compared to Richardson:

6'2"
294 lbs.
34 1/2" arms
5.02 40 yard dash
30 reps bench
32" vertical
113" broad

I'd say that Bailey compares favorably and put up better numbers in college than Richardson.

I think that we're going to be okay with Bailey filling that subpackage rush end/tackle this next year.

And, as I said, I think he'd be perfect for that RDE in a 46 defense. (I really hope we'll use the 46 this next year. The personnel we have are damn near perfect for it.)

Rausch
05-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Considering some of the piss poor offensive lines we'll play I think 13 is reasonable and 10+ should be expected...

Saccopoo
05-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Stephen Tuitt, Jr.; Notre Dame seems to be that guy.

6'5", 305 lbs. with long arms and an ability to get into the backfield, he led the Irish in sacks with 12. Very similar to current St. Louis Rams defensive tackle/former LSU DT Michael Brockers. Possesses identical size and ability to disrupt the line and get into the backfield. Their frames, build type are nearly identical and I think he has better initial burst than Brockers, though I don't think he'll measure out at 6'5", 305. Looks more like 6'3"/6'4" 285 lbs. when you watch him. Doesn't seem to have the lower body mass to come up to 305.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/twZ2sZAqnyM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jadeveon Clowney is getting all the press right now, but Tuitt with his insane size could challenge him as the first player/defensive player off the board in the 2104 Draft - if he declares, as he'll be a junior this next season.

He's already been mocked to the Chiefs in a couple of 2014 preseason mocks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

chiefzilla1501
05-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Some 46, a lot of 4-3/3-4 hybrid looks. Different from a traditional 3-4 hybrid in that we will actually be running a 4-3 base defense in many instances. It's what makes players like Poe so intriguing, and why DeVito is a much better find than people realize. If Poe can play multiple techniques, DeVito can rotate into a 1-technique in the 4-3 and more of a 5-tech in a 3-4. Powe could work too, but the problem is he seems pretty limited to the 0-technique and 1-technique.

Saccopoo
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Considering some of the piss poor offensive lines we'll play I think 13 is reasonable and 10+ should be expected...

The big difference will be having an offensive game plan that actually works and forces teams to pass the ball past the 5:00 minute mark of the first quarter.

That Houston and Hali were able to amass 10 and 9 sacks respectively last year with the amount of run plays that they went against due to the Chiefs being 30 points in the hole by the end of the first quarter is utterly amazing.

Saccopoo
05-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Some 46, a lot of 4-3/3-4 hybrid looks. Different from a traditional 3-4 hybrid in that we will actually be running a 4-3 base defense in many instances. It's what makes players like Poe so intriguing, and why DeVito is a much better find than people realize. If Poe can play multiple techniques, DeVito can rotate into a 1-technique in the 4-3 and more of a 5-tech in a 3-4. Powe could work too, but the problem is he seems pretty limited to the 0-technique and 1-technique.

Which is why you want to see the 46 out of this defense. Powe at the nose and Poe at LDE/defensive tackle over the offensive right tackle with Berry supporting him and Bailey, Houston and Hali stacked over the right side. A 46 with this team has a lot of potential to do some serious damage. S. Smith finally gives this team a CB to press cover (which the 46 demands as well).

Tailor made for the 46 in terms of personnel, though you don't want to see it on a constant basis.

Chiefshrink
05-19-2013, 09:45 AM

Yep, a 2-14 schedule should help get those numbers up this year:thumb:

Titty Meat
05-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Bailey sucks ass

milkman
05-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Bailey sucks ass

He did last year.

But we (read you, and others like you) tend to write off players far too early in their careers.

Coogs
05-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Yep, a 2-14 schedule should help get those numbers up this year:thumb:

Every team in the NFL plays the "same" schedule. Four 1st place teams. Four 2nd place teams. Four 3rd place teams. Four 4th place teams.

Example:

KC's 1st place teams: Washington, Houston, Denver, Denver
KC's 2nd place teams: Giants, Indianapolis, San Diego, San Diego
KC's 3rd place teams: Dallas, Tennessee, Oakland, Oakland
KC's 4th place teams: Philidelphia, Jax, Buffalo, Cleveland

Denver's 1st place teams: Washington, Houston, New England, Baltimore
Denver's 2nd place teams: Giants, Indianapolis, San Diego, San Diego
Denver's 3rd place teams: Dallas, Tennessee, Oakland, Oakland
Denvers 4th place teams: Philidelphia, Jax, KC, KC