PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Fun Andy Reid Article

Sorter
05-19-2013, 03:59 AM
While not exceptionally in-depth, I really enjoyed this article.
Last week, we checked out Mike Martz’s game plan—going back inside the pages of my notebooks from my playing days in the NFL. Schemes, tendencies, route concepts, etc. A complete breakdown of what Martz was doing as a play caller.

Today, let’s take a look at Eagles’ head coach Andy Reid. The west coast system in Philly hasn’t changed much since I was playing them twice a season with the Redskins. An offense that focuses on inside breaking routes. And, like we talked about last week, coaches don’t change their identity.

Here are my game prep notes and a breakdown of the Eagles’ offense…

ICON
Reid's west coast system hasn't changed much over the years.
2005: Philadelphia at Washington
Breakdowns and tendencies are complied from the opponent’s four previous games…

Reid’s personnel groupings:
Pro: 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB
Ace: 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB
Posse: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB
Tank: 1 WR, 2 TE, 2 RB
Jumbo: 3 TE, 2 RB

Key personnel in breakdown:
No. 81: WR Terrell Owens (Owens was the focus of the passing game)
No. 36: RB Brian Westbrook

Receiver terminology
X= Split End
Z=Flanker
Y= on the line TE
U= 2nd TE in the game
W=Slot receiver
R= RB
F= FB

*Game plan tip: No.81 aligned out of position--he is getting the ball.

Screens: 14 total screens: Posse (8x)/ Ace (3x)
1st and 10=5x
2nd and 10=5x

Alerts:
Most screens run in plus territory
9 screens to our left/ 6 to our right
Throwback screen: Alert QB sprint action to our left
Bunch into the boundary (sidelines) alert screen to No.36
No.36 motion to empty= missile (bubble) screen

Gadgets
Alert to No. 81 aligned out of position (T.O. was the “X’” receiver)
Double reverse out of Pro personnel to No.81
Flea-flicker out of Ace personnel: No.81 aligned inside of the numbers
All reverses are run to our right

Eagles 1st and 2nd down
*75% percent pass to run ratio

Top run concepts:
Broken down into two-back and one-back runs. The same runs we see with LeSean McCoy today in Philly.

Two-back runs
1. Lead Weak
2. Stretch Strong
One-back runs
1. Stretch Strong
2. Stretch Weak
3. Draw

ICON
1st and 2nd down? Expect the Hi-Lo passing concepts from Kolb and Philly.
Top pass concepts
*Vs. the west coast system, the majority of the routes want to be completed between the hash marks and the numbers

1. Hi-Lo (square in- shallow crosser)
2. Hi-Lo opposite (shallow crossers from opposite sides)
3. Hi-Lo Triple In (square in-shallow crosser-angle)
4. Middle Read (9-dig-9 combo)
5. All slants
6. Tare (option-flat combo)
7. Yankee (Deep crosser by “Z”/ Deep 7 by “X”)
8. Outs
9. Hitches
10. Flood
11. Options

Formation Alerts:
Broken down by formation/ alignments over personnel

Doubles/ Walk (2 x 2 with TE removed from core of formation)
TE to our right=Run alert
TE to our left=Pass alert
Any motion to create Doubles/ Walk= Pass alert
No.2 over split (wide split)= Run alert
No.36 aligned in slot= Option route
No.81 aligned as “Z” receiver with reduced split (tight split)=“Yankee” alert (deep crossing route—same route we see today from DeSean Jackson)

Doubles/ Near-Far back (2x2 with RB aligned offset near or far)
RB offset to No.81=Hi-Lo route concept (square in-shallow crosser combo)
RB “chowed” (aligned on outside leg of OT) to our right=Sprint Pass alert
QB under center=9 to 1 Pass

Orange (2x2 spread look)
No.1 WRs aligned on bottom of numbers=Out Routes
No.1 WRs aligned on top of numbers= Verticals

Pro Sets
RB aligned at depth of 6-yards or less=3-step passing game
Z with “nasty” split (very tight split)= Flood/ X-Slant to No.81 (route Eagles ran all night in the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots with T.O. on backside of formation)
RB “chowed” to TE= No. 36 on Angle route
I formation=Deep ball
No.81 aligned at Z with pre-snap motion= “Spot Route” (7-crul-flat combo)

Unit/ Unit Slot (2 TEs in the game aligned in core of formation)
9 passes/ 7 runs
Two TEs in wing alignment=Pass alert
Unit Slot (wing with WR slot to the field)= deep ball: Dino (Double Post)/ OVS (Outside Vertical Stretch…9-7-flat combo)
Any WR motion=Pass alert
Both WRs aligned in “nasty” splits=OVS
Formation into the boundary= Dino alert

Trips
RB offset=Pass alert
Motion=Pass alert
No. 81 aligned as No.3 strong=Tare (option-flat combo)
No.81 aligned at X= 9 or slant

Eagles Third Down

ICON
Jackson is a top target in the 3rd down concepts for the Eagles.
Pass Protections
Always know what protection schemes you are going to face in your blitz packages

3rd and 2-6: 6-man protection (10x)
3rd and 7-10” 7-man protections(11x)/ 6-man protections(9x)
3rd and 11-plus: 7-man protection (7x)/ 6-man protection (7 x)

Empty tips (no backs in backfield)
QB under center= 3-step passing tree
QB in gun= Hi-Lo concepts

Alerts:
Doubles Y Off= Double moves
Alert Missile Screen

Top Runs:
1. RB Draw
2. QB Draw
3. Stretch Strong/ Weak

Top Pass Concepts:
Break down the route tree by down and distance

3rd and 2-6
1. Hi-Lo Triple In
2. W Post
3. Outs
4. R Option
5. Flat-Slants
6. Tare (empty)
7. All Slants

3rd and 7-10
1. Middle Read (big play for Jeremy Maclin today)
2. NCAA (Z- Dig/ Y- shallow crosser/ X-Post)
3. Sprint (Smash-7 combo)

3rd and 11+
1. Sticks (All Curls)
2. Dagger (Seam-Dig combo)
3. Double Dig
4. 999 (4 Verticals)
5. Sucker (Curl-Dig combo)
6. Pin (Dig-Post combo)

Eagles 2-minute offense
*Alert screen/draw to start series

Alerts:
97% Posse/ Pony (2 RBs in the backfield)
3 screens
6-man protection (13x)
7-man protection (6x)

Top 2-minute concepts:
1. Middle Read
2. Tare
3. Curl-Flat
4. 4 Verticals
5. Whip Options
6. Zone Pass (short curls)
7. Sprint: 7-Flat combo

ICON
Eagles' RB LeSean McCoy.
Eagles Red Zone
Concepts are broken down into High Red Zone (25-16 yard line) and Red Zone (15 to goal line)

Alerts:
Will run the ball to set up passing concepts
Alert screen and check down to No.36
WR motions inside of the numbers= point of attack
WR motions outside of the numbers=waste motion
Empty with No.81 aligned inside of numbers=middle of the field ISO route

High Red Zone Concepts:
1. PIN
2. Middle Read
3. X ISO
4. Scissors (8-7 combo)
5. MOF ISO
6. Outs

Red Zone Concepts:
1. Spot
2. Flood
3. Hi-Lo
4. Hi-lo Triple in Flood (square in-shallow crosser-angle-R swing)
5. Sprint Option

Critical Plays
Backed up. 3rd and short. Four-minute situation. 4th down play. What do the Eagles run when they are protecting a lead or need to move the sticks?

*8 total plays we scouted: 6 passes/ 2 runs

2 runs
1. RB Flip
2. 20 Trap

6 passes (all to our left)
1. Spot (2x)
2. Wheel route (No.36)
3. Tare
4. Outs
5. Sprint option

*2-point play: No.81 aligns in backfield/ run sprint option

*Our lead call in a critical play situation? Cover 2 out of a 4-3 Over front

Eagles goal line
Top personnel: Jumbo/ Tank

Top runs: ( 4 of 6 runs to our right)
1. Stretch
2. Lead Weak
3. Lead Strong
4. Power Bob O (back on backer)

Top Passes:
1. Boot
2. Sprint Option
3. Pop Pass (Y quick release)
4. 7-Falt

“Gotta Have it” play
Every offense has a play/ concept they will run with the game on the line. Vs. Philly we broke down two of them.

Eagles "Gotta Have it" Plays
1. Hi-Lo crossers
2. Dagger

That’s a wrap. Word for word from my notes during our game prep for Andy Reid’s Eagles. Looking at the concepts, we will see the same routes, runs and red zone passing tree this Sunday when the Eagles host the Falcons that we did back in 2005. The west coast offense has added some new concepts over time, but when you break it down by down and distance, formations and situational football—it really hasn’t changed.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-Reids-game-plan.html

Bowen's spelling needs to improve but this article was probably written at 2AM

Ming the Merciless
05-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Just the75% pass to run ratio on 1st and 2nd will be like watching another sport

Why God do you get me excited, knowing my soul will be crushed by week 5??

Seriously, sweet post.

I'm actually excited....for us as a team

crazycoffey
05-19-2013, 04:32 AM
It's funny; a complete guide to what every formation means plus how every formation could mean something else.

I do like the high risks to high rewards of going pass right away, opens up a strong run game, and increases big play scoring oportunities. Something we've really missed out on lately.

EagleRob
05-19-2013, 04:43 AM
This offense is really fun to watch. The screen and short pass are used where a lot of teams would traditionally run.

Sorter
05-19-2013, 05:34 AM
It's funny; a complete guide to what every formation means plus how every formation could mean something else.

It isn't anywhere close to a complete guide. There are literally millions of variations you can do with a single play in regards to blocking, SAs, hots, back protections/releases, route combos, etc.

I'm not trying to sound pretentious but there no "complete guide" exists in any sort of written manner.

Rasputin
05-19-2013, 06:57 AM
This offense is really fun to watch. The screen and short pass are used where a lot of teams would traditionally run.

I assume they are high % chance for completion with minimal gain. With guys like D Bowe can break away from tackles or lean forward for extra yards.

My big concern is if we end up with a bunch of three and outs from incomplete passes and we don't give the defense much rest. Dustin Colquitt could have another busy year ahead of him.

stonedstooge
05-19-2013, 07:12 AM
I thinks I'ma in truble/Jerald Powe

Direckshun
05-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Running to set up the pass.

What a novel concept.

Great post.

Rasputin
05-19-2013, 08:16 AM
PPPP

Planetman
05-19-2013, 08:27 AM

What a novel concept.

Great post.
ROFL

chiefzilla1501
05-19-2013, 08:27 AM
I assume they are high % chance for completion with minimal gain. With guys like D Bowe can break away from tackles or lean forward for extra yards.

My big concern is if we end up with a bunch of three and outs from incomplete passes and we don't give the defense much rest. Dustin Colquitt could have another busy year ahead of him.

That's an oversimplification. It's not just about a dink-and-dunk on slants and short WR screens. It's about using a screen pass to the RB as if it was an actual run. Based on Andy Reid's past, here are my projections:
-Jamaal Charles will have about 200 - 220 carries with 50 - 70 receptions. He will end up with a little under 300 touches
-Our Fullback will probably get about 20 - 25 carries and catch the ball 20 - 25 times. About 50 touches.
-A RB like Kniles Davis will probably have 50 - 100 carries with about 15 - 20 receptions
-Alex Smith will probably run the ball about 50 times, some of them being designed runs

So no, I don't look at these as "minimal gain" opportunities. I think guys like Jamaal Charles are going to be downright nasty in space. We will run the ball a hell of a lot less than what we are used to. We have to prepare for pass-pass-run vs. run-run-past. But if you look at the running game in terms of touches vs. carries, it's not nearly as bad as people make it to be.

EagleRob
05-19-2013, 09:53 AM

That would be the downside if your QB can't get rid of the ball quickly (Vick) or throws worm burners (McNabb). But that's when you go to the draws and screens.

EagleRob
05-19-2013, 09:54 AM
That's an oversimplification. It's not just about a dink-and-dunk on slants and short WR screens. It's about using a screen pass to the RB as if it was an actual run. Based on Andy Reid's past, here are my projections:
-Jamaal Charles will have about 200 - 220 carries with 50 - 70 receptions. He will end up with a little under 300 touches
-Our Fullback will probably get about 20 - 25 carries and catch the ball 20 - 25 times. About 50 touches.
-A RB like Kniles Davis will probably have 50 - 100 carries with about 15 - 20 receptions
-Alex Smith will probably run the ball about 50 times, some of them being designed runs

So no, I don't look at these as "minimal gain" opportunities. I think guys like Jamaal Charles are going to be downright nasty in space. We will run the ball a hell of a lot less than what we are used to. We have to prepare for pass-pass-run vs. run-run-past. But if you look at the running game in terms of touches vs. carries, it's not nearly as bad as people make it to be.

Spot on.

beach tribe
05-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Awesome find.
You have been the top poster on this board for quite some time.
Smart, informative, and not blinded by homerism or jaded to the point of nauseating pessimism.
I'll remove my lips from your ass now so you can carry on.

beach tribe
05-19-2013, 10:12 AM

What a novel concept.

Great post.

I think you got it backerds.

keg in kc
05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Read this, then go look up the scores to the 2005 Eagles/Redskins games and then try not to think of this primer as being 8 years old and spread all over the league.

beach tribe
05-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Smith has had at or close to 70% comp. pct. the last two seasons and the short passes are the ones he was hitting on, so you can probably quell those fears at least.

I'm more worried about him being able to hit Bowe deep, who will be playing the T.O. role for us.
If he can it's gonna be nasty.

I'll hold out hope till I see it.

chiefzilla1501
05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Spot on.

Thanks. There seems to be this misperception that because Reid doesn't run the ball, he's Mike Martz. It's not the same thing. Martz was just too arrogant to run the ball. Andy Reid's offense is more similar to the New England offense in the early 2000s with Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk. Nobody would have accused those guys of not valuing their RBs.

milkman
05-19-2013, 10:34 AM
I am not as down on Alex Smith as some.

I believe in Reid's offense that he can continue to be an efficient, effctive game manager, as he was in SF, even if he's asked to pass 30-35 times a game, and that Charles and Bowe (and Cyrus Gray, who I still believe was a great pick last year) will be big time YAC players with the accuracy that Smith has in the short zones and the intermediate middle.

My problem is that I just don't believe that game plan can be successful against the better defenses in this league, and those defenses can take that away from Smith and the Chiefs, forcing Smith to beat them by taking the top off, which he hasn't shown he is capable of doing.

chiefzilla1501
05-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I am not as down on Alex Smith as some.

I believe in Reid's offense that he can continue to be an efficient, effctive game manager, as he was in SF, even if he's asked to pass 30-35 times a game, and that Charles and Bowe (and Cyrus Gray, who I still believe was a great pick last year) will be big time YAC players with the accuracy that Smith has in the short zones and the intermediate middle.

My problem is that I just don't believe that game plan can be successful against the better defenses in this league, and those defenses can take that away from Smith and the Chiefs, forcing Smith to beat them by taking the top off, which he hasn't shown he is capable of doing.

The more I read up on the pistol, the more I'm intrigued. I agree with what you're saying here, but it's interesting that a guy who's been in the league this long (Reid) is interested in changing his ways.

If they figure out how to make the spread option and pistol work, and Smith or Daniel could very possibly do that, that makes the offense a lot less one-dimensional. And even the best defenses of today haven't yet figured out the solution here.

boogblaster
05-19-2013, 10:57 AM
basic westcoast .. schemes altered by what OC .. SHOULD SEE .. as game progresses .....

EagleRob
05-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks. There seems to be this misperception that because Reid doesn't run the ball, he's Mike Martz. It's not the same thing. Martz was just too arrogant to run the ball. Andy Reid's offense is more similar to the New England offense in the early 2000s with Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk. Nobody would have accused those guys of not valuing their RBs.

He does run but its about 57/43 in favor of the pass and he throws in some traditional running spots like 1st and Goal from the 3, so it seems like that's all he does. What does this thing in when it blows up is holding calls on the tackles and procedure calls - I remember an inordinate number of illegal formation calls. Then he's forced to throw and everyone knows its coming...so he will run a HB screen on 3rd and 19.

SAUTO
05-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Its funny how many here bashed the pistol when gailey was using it
Posted via Mobile Device

crazycoffey
05-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a fad that will never last in the pros, defenses are too fast for it to be used all the time. Sound familiar?

crazycoffey
05-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Absolute gold, thigpen, Alex, chase and the pistol all in one thread.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=198096&highlight=Pistol+offense

SAUTO
05-19-2013, 04:14 PM
It's a fad that will never last in the pros, defenses are too fast for it to be used all the time. Sound familiar?

Exactly. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

bigjosh
05-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Too risky, must run on first and second down. /true fan

Simply Red
05-19-2013, 04:26 PM

Hopefully the Chiefs can run those sort of plays, we're mentally challenged ya know?

crazycoffey
05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5003782&postcount=3

What's the over under on clays flip flop back to loving AS?

beach tribe
05-19-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5003782&postcount=3

What's the over under on clays flip flop back to loving AS?

You can go back to after the 2011 POs and TONS of people on this board were drinking his jizz and saying he had come of age.
A lot of those same people now shit all over him.

chiefzilla1501
05-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I recall of the Gailey pistol, it was a gimmick offense that didn't run the ball, relied on trick plays to catch the defense off-guard, and was a pure one-read offense. It was a pure I-formation offense with the RB a few yards back.

The pistol that Reid looks to be installing will rely on a spread option, will likely rely on more exotic formations (especially with a FB lined up beside the QB), and will likely mirror a traditional offense in that passes will still be progression-based.

Two totally different offenses, as it looks like the spread/pistol have matured to a point where it might make sense in the NFL.

Saccopoo
05-19-2013, 05:21 PM
From what I recall of the Gailey pistol, it was a gimmick offense that didn't run the ball, relied on trick plays to catch the defense off-guard, and was a pure one-read offense. It was a pure I-formation offense with the RB a few yards back.

The pistol that Reid looks to be installing will rely on a spread option, will likely rely on more exotic formations (especially with a FB lined up beside the QB), and will likely mirror a traditional offense in that passes will still be progression-based.

Two totally different offenses, as it looks like the spread/pistol have matured to a point where it might make sense in the NFL.

Good points.

The spread/pistol as it's been run by Urban Meyer and Chris Ault is a completely different animal than what Gailey threw out there. Meyer's offense is pretty complicated and Smith was the best of the bunch who ran that system (all of his QB's have been very successful in that system, but Smith was head and shoulders above the other due to his ability to incorporate a better forward passing game versus guys like Tebow).

I'd also like to mention that Ault, at 66, isn't a spring chicken and decided to basically change his entire offensive game plan when he switched over to the pistol offense in 2005 at Nevada. It's a very innovative offense that defenses have a serious problem adjusting to and I don't see Reid being so set in his ways that he won't utilize a guy like Smith, who has experience in the Meyer's spread, in making adjustments to his West Coast/Lavell Edwards based system that will incorporate both Smith's understanding of the spread and Ault's innovations in the pistol.

Ault wanted to combine the spread passing game that you get from the shotgun with the power running game. The running back lines up behind the quarterback, so he is moving toward the line of scrimmage, and the quarterback is only 4 yards behind the center as opposed to 6.

Fits what the Chiefs have done in terms of revamping the offensive line, signing A. Smith, drafting Knile Davis a bit higher than some anticipated, etc.

I'm fully anticipating a pretty high powered, keep the defense on it's heels offense that will utilize a high number of short to intermediate routes and a ton of zone read plays where you will see Smith, Charles, McCluster, Davis and Grey pitching out or using the Utah Pass at the line of scrimmage.

Should be fun, especially after watching that horrible shitstain of a Daboll offense last season.

Sorter
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM
"*Game plan tip: No.81 aligned out of position--he is getting the ball."

I kinda want to go back through some recent film and see how this related to Jackson. If it is a consistent trend, one can reasonably expect it to apply to Bowe.