PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Throwing to the tight end is back in Chiefs’ offense under Andy Reid

Tribal Warfare
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Throwing to the tight end is back in Chiefs’ offense under Andy Reid (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/24/4255155/throwing-to-the-tight-end-is-back.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
The Chiefs first signaled their intent to improve at tight end in recent months when they acquired Anthony Fasano and Travis Kelce to go along with the injured incumbent starter, Tony Moeaki.

Since then, the Chiefs have revealed plenty of two-tight end formations during their offseason program and spent plenty of time at least trying to throw the ball to both Fasano and Kelce. The signs are everywhere that the tight end as a pass receiver is back in the Chiefs offense under new coach Andy Reid.

“I think the offense is very friendly for a tight end,’’ said Fasano, signed from Miami as a free agent. “You can tell they’re becoming a very valuable position in this offense. We ultimately determine (how many passes they catch) by how we play, if we make plays, exploit mismatches. The tight ends have a good opportunity in this offense.’’

The Chiefs will need big receiving numbers from the tight ends this year because, other than Dwayne Bowe, they have little in proven ability at wide receiver. This marks a change for the Chiefs, who since trading Tony Gonzalez before the 2009 season got 46, 61, 35 and 44 catches from their tight ends in the four years since.

Gonzalez would often have that many receptions by midseason and nobody is suggesting the Chiefs tight ends, individually or even collectively, will put up better numbers than Gonzalez would.

But the Chiefs are confident they can do better than they’ve done since he was traded.

“We’re an attacking style of offense, fast-paced,’’ Fasano said. “I think we have a lot of weapons. I think the opportunity is there. Whether it plays out or not, I just hope to be an asset to the offense.’’

Fasano, who had the only two-touchdown game of his NFL career against the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium two years ago, hasn’t been a prolific pass receiver in his seven seasons with the Cowboys and Dolphins. His best season happened last year, when he caught 41 passes and scored five touchdowns.

If offseason practice is an indication, Fasano may be featured more as a receiver this season.

“Hopefully, that will be a little more consistent here,’’ he said.

Fasano signed with the Chiefs knowing that the tight end often had big numbers when the Eagles offenses were guided by Reid.

“I grew up in New Jersey and was actually a Giants fan, so I watched him beat the Giants a lot with the Eagles and I saw a lot of tight ends have success,’’ Fasano said. “As soon as they came into play in free agency, I dove into them a little bit deeper and I think they are very friendly.

“I’ve been asked to block a bunch in my career and also been called upon to be a reliable receiver. All that stuff makes up a good tight end and from what I suspect that tight end is going to be needed in this offense.’’

The Chiefs then selected Kelce in the third round of this year’s NFL Draft. He emerged as a receiving threat in his last college season with Cincinnati, where he caught 45 passes with eight touchdowns.

The Chiefs have lined up Kelce, who is fast for a tight end, in a variety of different spots in search of a favorable matchup. He at one point in practice last week caught passes on three straight plays, including one deep down the middle.

“He gives you another offensive threat, somebody that the defense will have to honor by speed and athletic ability,’’ Reid said. “They moved him (in college) all around so he doesn’t have to play in line. You can move him out as a wide receiver in that position and he’s a legitimate receiver from that spot.”

Reid compared Kelce to former Giants, Saints and Panthers tight end Jeremy Shockey in terms of style of play and potential impact. Shockey caught 74 passes as a rookie for New York in 2002 and at least 40 in nine of his 10 NFL seasons, so it may be a lot for the Chiefs to expect numbers like that from Kelce.

But Kelce wasn’t shying away from the comparison.

“I would like to think I’m a different breed of player, someone that can get after a guy in the run game, but at the same time catch a ball and go 80 to the house,’’ Kelce said. “I think the Chiefs are going to get someone who is very versatile and if I had to possibly choose one guy (to compare himself to), I would choose Jeremy Shockey just the way he plays with passion and energy. I think that would be an awesome comparison.”

Moeaki has been little more than a spectator at offseason practice after having arthroscopic knee surgery at the end of last season. Reid said it was unlikely that Moeaki would be able to practice in the final two weeks of the offseason program and he even hedged a little when asked if Moeaki would be ready by the start of training camp in two months.

“We’ll see,’’ Reid said. “Right now I’m thinking he will be but we’ll see how that goes. He’s working like crazy.’’

Simply Red
05-24-2013, 10:50 PM
I like Fasano, I think.

Hammock Parties
05-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Nice to have tight ends who aren't brokedicks.

boogblaster
05-24-2013, 11:12 PM
ok ... lets throw it ....

Direckshun
05-24-2013, 11:13 PM
I guarantee you Moeaki is a Steeler next year.

BossChief
05-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Footballs are brown

Hammock Parties
05-24-2013, 11:16 PM

Uh, Moeaki was a Pioli pick.

Chiefspants
05-24-2013, 11:18 PM

I hear Pioli has some yardwork that needs to be done, unfortunately Moe is probably too fragile for the job.

Dayze
05-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Cool. So a TE to the flat instead of Dex.

Jk. I would like to see the go to the TE a shitload more often

Direckshun
05-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I love how Reid/Dorsey approached this season and said to themselves "welp, we have nothing at TE."

Fast forward five months: Anthony Fasano, Travis Kelce, Braden Wilson.

If Moeaki has more than 15 receptions this year, I'll be shocked.

RunKC
05-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I love how Reid/Dorsey approached this season and said to themselves "welp, we have nothing at TE."

Don't forget Demetrius Harris, who has been very impressive thus far.

I think there is a real chance he could make the 53 man roster.

MagicHef
05-24-2013, 11:37 PM
the Chiefs have revealed plenty of two-tight end formations during their offseason program and spent plenty of time at least trying to throw the ball to both Fasano and Kelce.

LMAO

mikey23545
05-24-2013, 11:40 PM

If Moeaki has more than 15 receptions is on the team this year, I'll be shocked.

FYP.

RealSNR
05-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Cool. So a TE to the flat instead of Dex.

Jk. I would like to see the go to the TE a shitload more often

All of the TEs on this roster are quicker than Dexter McCluster.

Dude's slower than KC Tattoo reading War and Peace.

Hammock Parties
05-24-2013, 11:45 PM
How do you feel about paying out the ass for a QB who isn't going to win your team a SB, MagicHeifer?

Hammock Parties
05-24-2013, 11:46 PM

Moeaki was recently declared out until the start of training camp.

That's shocking, quite frankly.

chiefzilla1501
05-24-2013, 11:49 PM

McCluster is not slow.

Needs significant improvement as a receiver. Needs to stop getting cute. Needs to be smarter about playing in open space. But he isn't slow. That's a myth created by people obsessive about his 40 time.

BossChief
05-24-2013, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Moeaki goes to ir and gets an injury settlement.

RealSNR
05-24-2013, 11:50 PM
McCluster is not slow.

Needs significant improvement as a receiver. Needs to stop getting cute. Needs to be smarter about playing in open space. But he isn't slow. That's a myth created by people obsessive about his 40 time.

Linebackers catch him all the time.

He's not slow, but he sure as fuck isn't this magic quickster that is impossible to find anywhere.

Dante Hall was a real quickster. Jamaal Charles is a quickster.

Dexter McCluster isn't special

MagicHef
05-24-2013, 11:54 PM
How do you feel about paying out the ass for a QB who isn't going to win your team a SB, MagicHeifer?

You must be confused. I'm not Pat Bowlen.

chiefzilla1501
05-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Linebackers catch him all the time.

He's not slow, but he sure as **** isn't this magic quickster that is impossible to find anywhere.

Dante Hall was a real quickster. Jamaal Charles is a quickster.

Dexter McCluster isn't special

He is not a speedster. But he's plenty fast. The myth that he gets caught by linebackers all the time is one created by CP. His problem isn't that linebackers are catching him, it's that he hasn't had many breakaway opportunities, and a lot of that is because he has a lot of things he needs to improve as a receiver, and as a confident, smart runner. He's been below average at both so far in the NFL.

Dayze
05-25-2013, 12:25 AM

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Hammock Parties
05-25-2013, 12:33 AM
He is not a speedster. But he's plenty fast. The myth that he gets caught by linebackers all the time is one created by CP. His problem isn't that linebackers are catching him, it's that he hasn't had many breakaway opportunities, and a lot of that is because he has a lot of things he needs to improve as a receiver, and as a confident, smart runner. He's been below average at both so far in the NFL.

He will never, ever be more than "just a guy" in this league.

He'll probably retire with less than 10 career TDs.

Simply Red
05-25-2013, 12:57 AM
I hope Fasano is right about the attacking style. That'd be nice - I'm not buying it though - I am from Missouri - & you have to show me.

Simply Red
05-25-2013, 12:59 AM
they always act so excited and talk loud and then it's pure suckage when the season comes, no reason to expect anything THAT much different this year. I hope i'm wrong - but.

ChiefAshhole20
05-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Mccluster isn't fast but he is extremely quick in regards to short area agility. He consistently gets open when put up against good matchups. He isn't a game breaker by any means, but the fact that he is a sure handed, good short area route runner, is going to do wonders in a Reid offense, just watch.

Dayze
05-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Mccluster isn't fast but he is extremely quick in regards to short area agility. He consistently gets open when put up against good matchups. He isn't a game breaker by any means, but the fact that he is a sure handed, good short area route runner, is going to do wonders in a Reid offense, just watch.
But the dude gets tackled by a gust of wind

Dante84
05-25-2013, 02:28 AM

My money is on the Patriots when he leaves Kansas City.

TribalElder
05-25-2013, 06:54 AM
"I'm surprised our awesome tight end Moeaki is battling injury issues"

- nobody ever

Demonpenz
05-25-2013, 07:14 AM
We will be throwing and looking alot better because the most important position on the team went from "The worst shit since the holocaust and aids combined" to "Meh..just below average"

WhiteWhale
05-25-2013, 07:15 AM
McCluster is not slow.

I would contend that for a 5-7 (no way he's 5-9 like he's listed) 165 pound dude he's not fast enough.

milkman
05-25-2013, 08:01 AM

You talk a lot for a guy who has never, ever been right about a damn thing.

Dunerdr
05-25-2013, 08:20 AM
So does attacking offense mean the mixfield isnt the stopping point?

BlackHelicopters
05-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Earth shattering journalism, yet again, from the KCStar

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Water is wet,
ground is dry,
light means day,
and Tiecher is gay! Thx/bye!

chiefzilla1501
05-25-2013, 08:56 AM
You talk a lot for a guy who has never, ever been right about a damn thing.
Nobody outside of CP believes McCluster is slow. While in KC, he has played slow and he has played stupid. But that doesn't mean he's slow.

Yes, then no. You're right on the first part. People obsess about his 40 time, but he dominated the 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle. Don't think you're right on the second part. He has a ton of room for improvement as a receiver.

He will never, ever be more than "just a guy" in this league.

He'll probably retire with less than 10 career TDs.
He will always be "just a guy" if he doesn't develop as a receiver. He has terrible instincts, shaky hands, runs below average routes. But he also has not been allowed to get the training he needs here. I'm willing to at least see what he can do with better coaching. But you may be right.

chiefzilla1501
05-25-2013, 09:02 AM
I would contend that for a 5-7 (no way he's 5-9 like he's listed) 165 pound dude he's not fast enough.

He's not a speedster. He has ability to make people miss, but has not shown that ability on the field. He's gotta get that shit fixed or he'll amount to nothing.
That's a hell of a lot more important than straight-line speed for the role he'd play. Remember that Welker had a 4.65 40 time and nobody would call him slow. He has to make people miss, get quick burst, and quickly accelerate. He can do that, but just hasn't.

the Talking Can
05-25-2013, 09:06 AM
randall cobb is what mccluster was supposed to be

mccluster has all the elusiveness of this cat:
http://www.meltedbrain.com/imagebin/fatcats/fat-cat-spread-on-couch-arm.jpg

wouldn't surprise me at all if brokaki gets cut

oldman
05-25-2013, 09:09 AM
When you have him sitting wide in the backfield, even the slowest LB knows it's a pass to the flat and already is across the line of scrimmage before the ball is thrown. I don't know how many times he was hit just as he caught the ball last year. You have to have some space to make a guy miss.

COchief
05-25-2013, 11:05 AM
no reason to expect anything THAT much different this year. I hope i'm wrong - but.

^ this is your brain on drugs...

Yeah totally bro, new GM, HC, QB, DC along with new offensive and defensive systems...but yeah everything will be the exact same.

Are you retarded?

Rasputin
05-25-2013, 11:16 AM
So we have an unbroken tight end this year? Did they duct tape Tony Moeaki for this year? Hope it holds.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM
So we have an unbroken tight end this year? Did they duct tape Tony Moeaki for this year? Hope it holds.

Stick fork in. Another Iowa/Ferentz/Pissholi flash in the pan.

Rausch
05-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Stick fork in. Another Iowa/Ferentz/Pissholi flash in the pan.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvpl9gSkZ71qkxjew.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2013, 11:47 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvpl9gSkZ71qkxjew.jpg

This.:LOL:

Easy 6
05-25-2013, 12:31 PM
If Kelce can approximate a young Shockey, i'll JIMP.

Exoter175
05-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Prepare to be shocked, then. Unless he gets injured, he'll have 15 receptions by game 6 or 7 easily.

Moeaki is the starter, Fasano is TE #2, kelce is #3.

Also, Reid/Dorsey didn't come in here thinking "We've got not talent at TE", they came in here thinking "We've got nothing for depth at TE and a starter who frequently misses games, we need depth now". The exact same thing they did for the defensive back group at Corner and Free Safety.

I swear, the Chiefs make one roster move and you clowns seem to think that the world is over for player X or player Y.

Sign Fasano and Kelce, Moeaki's career is over.
Sign Dunta Robinson, Kendrick Lewis' career is over.
Sign Tyler Bray, Stanzi's career is over.
Sign Donnie Avery, McCluster's career is over.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Prepare to be shocked, then. Unless he gets injured, he'll have 15 receptions by game 6 or 7 easily.

Also, Reid/Dorsey didn't come in here thinking "We've got not talent at TE", they came in here thinking "We've got nothing for depth at TE and a starter who frequently misses games, we need depth now". The exact same thing they did for the defensive back group at Corner and Free Safety.

I swear, the Chiefs make one roster move and you clowns seem to think that the world is over for player X or player Y.

Brokedickie is over. Writing is on the wall.

the Talking Can
05-25-2013, 02:16 PM

como?

chiefzilla1501
05-25-2013, 02:20 PM

Holy hell.

There is no way Moeaki wins a job over Fasano and Kelce projects to be better than Moeaki. Kendrick Lewis is not a good starter (an okay depth guy at best). The Chiefs signed 2 QBs and picked up a 3rd in the rookie waiver pool. Avery isn't even competing for McCluster's job.

This post is full of fail.

RunKC
05-25-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't see how Moeaki will start. Our coach favors Kelce and Fasano.

Plus Kelce brings the speed that is so lethal at the position.

Mav
05-25-2013, 02:58 PM
disclaimer.

If everything is graded out equal, and everyone is healthy, your most talented tight end is Travis Kelce, and it is not even close. He should be the starter by the end of the year with Fasano as more of the blocking tight end.

That's just based on skill.

scho63
05-25-2013, 04:22 PM

:thumb:

I second that-he is a weak tin can. More surgery and won't practice for a while

milkman
05-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Tony Moeaki is a talented TE, and probably the most complete one on this roster.
His problem is that he can not stay on the field.

If he's healthy, Anthony Fasano is #3 on the depth chart.

Saccopoo
05-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Tony Moeaki is a talented TE, and probably the most complete one on this roster.
His problem is that he can not stay on the field.

If he's healthy, Anthony Fasano is #3 on the depth chart.

I'll take a wait and see with Kelce. While everyone seems to be excited about his athleticism, you are talking about a guy that, up until his senior season, only caught 14 passes total in college while playing in Conference USA.

He's a big question mark in my book. I don't think he's going to beat out either Moeaki or Fasano this next season. (Depending on Moeaki's availability due to the off-season knee scope that has him being held out of the OTA's.)

Pasta Little Brioni
05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
LMAO

We had to listen to you dumbfucks pimp turds like Tamme and Dreesen for an entire offseason.

noa
05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Reid's starting tight ends seem to end up around 600-700 yards and 4 or 5 TDs. Brent Celek had a big 2009, but other than that, the starting TE usually finished around 10th or 15th in the league in receptions and yards.

notorious
05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
como?

:hmmm:

Cannibal
05-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Exorter has Iowa "True Fan" written all over him.

Cannibal
05-25-2013, 06:04 PM
These shitty Iowa players Fagoli drafted are out.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
05-25-2013, 07:51 PM
The KC burnt ends amiright.