PDA

View Full Version : Life Does your Dentist schedule appt. for JUST a cleaning?

Mr. Laz
05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I have a Dentist that i have been seeing for years ... 10-ish years.

They call every so often to remind of needed dental care etc.

This time when they called i said that "Yes" i wanted to schedule an appointment for a cleaning. She said we have you down for full x-rays blah,blah,blah.

I said that i didn't need that right now, just a cleaning.

She basically said 'no, unless you are coming in for a full appointment then don't come in'

*awkward silence*

So i told her "I guess i will just go elsewhere"

She said cheerily "ok , thank you very much"

So they have some kind of minimum for visits? Unless you are spending a certain amount, then don't bother?

I have spent thousands of dollars over the years(crowns,root canal,checkups etc). I have never had a single problem or even missed an appointment.

WTF?

Does your dentist schedule visits for 'just' dental cleaning or do they have some kind of minimum?

I wonder if my guy is having business trouble and just can do small visits.

Shogun
05-26-2013, 08:12 PM
If you haven't been in a while, you need an exam so the dentist can see what is going on in your mouth, kind of hard for them to get a feel for what they are dealing with without seeing beforehand. If you are in KC my mom has been an assistant for 30 years and works at an office in Overland Park, new doctor and he does great work. She also temps at a bunch of other places so if you need recommendations let me know and I'll forward you info.

Predarat
05-26-2013, 08:12 PM
I have never heard of such horsehit in all my life. It sucks they ruined it but finding another dentist seems the way to go.

Rain Man
05-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Every time I go in, I get a cleaning and the dentist taps around and pokes around and grabs my somewhat ticklish lymph nodes. Every second or third time they tell me I need x-rays of some kind or other and light me up like a Christmas tree.

Fairplay
05-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Every time I go in, I get a cleaning and the dentist taps around and pokes around and grabs my somewhat ticklish lymph nodes. Every second or third time they tell me I need x-rays of some kind or other and light me up like a Christmas tree.

I have them only do x-rays every 2 years on me. They act like I'm a a-hole for doing that.

-King-
05-26-2013, 08:24 PM
I thought every dentist does cleanings every 6 months?

Rasputin
05-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Is this an Anti-Dentite thread?

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Mine does.

LoneWolf
05-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Yep, cleaning every six months and X-rays once a year. I get a "deep cleaning" every three years and that is painful as hell.

Saulbadguy
05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Good lord, you are a dumbass.

tooge
05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I'll chime in. It's called "standard of care". If you come in for just a cleaning, the men the dentist becomes liable for any i'n diagnosed disease. If you get your teeth cleaned, and there is decay that is between the teeth that can't be seen anywhere but x rays, or small tooth fractures, etc., then the dentist is liable for supervised neglect.

The #1 reason for tooth loss is undisguised periodontal disease.

It's just how it works. Like your physician telling you they won't refill BP meds without an exam once a year. They could be sued.

Mr. Laz
05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
I'll chime in. It's called "standard of care". If you come in for just a cleaning, the men the dentist becomes liable for any i'n diagnosed disease. If you get your teeth cleaned, and there is decay that is between the teeth that can't be seen anywhere but x rays, or small tooth fractures, etc., then the dentist is liable for supervised neglect.

The #1 reason for tooth loss is undisguised periodontal disease.

It's just how it works. Like your physician telling you they won't refill BP meds without an exam once a year. They could be sued.
what a gigantic load of horseshit

There is no way a dentist will be held accountable for an pre-existing condition. You can barely hold them accountable for the stuff they do.

It's only been like 10 months since i last went in anyway

oh well ... they just lost a patient.

BigRedChief
05-26-2013, 09:06 PM
4 dentists in the last 20+ years.and they all made you book cleaning appointments months in advance. Had some pain, got right in,

Saulbadguy
05-26-2013, 09:16 PM
What's the big deal? Just get the x-rays. It only takes a few more minutes and is free if you have dental insurance.

splatbass
05-26-2013, 09:29 PM
what a gigantic load of horseshit

There is no way a dentist will be held accountable for an pre-existing condition. You can barely hold them accountable for the stuff they do.

It's only been like 10 months since i last went in anyway

oh well ... they just lost a patient.

It is standard procedure to have X-rays periodically. If you find a dentist that doesn't you are at a BAD dentist. Don't hold it against your dentist that you are a bad patient that doesn't want proper dental care.

Icon
05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I had a scheduled "teeth cleaning" two weeks ago. I arrive on time and the dental assistant proceeds to lay the xray vest on me so I say just a cleaning, I had xrays last year. She leaves and the dentist arrives saying annual xrays are standards of his practice and required by his profession. I said its my body and I didn't want xrays every year. He said its not negotiable so I said I'm outta here and left.

I was not happy. You would think you have control over your own body.

Gadzooks
05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I usually enjoy the visits for cleanings because Dental Hygienists typically have female boobies and they tend to rub them on my head for 40 minutes while I'm sitting in a comfortable chair.
I'll pay for the x-rays to keep the cleanings coming.

Rain Man
05-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I usually enjoy the visits for cleanings because Dental Hygienists typically have female boobies and they tend to rub them on my head for 40 minutes while I'm sitting in a comfortable chair.
I'll pay for the x-rays to keep the cleanings coming.

For a brief period when I lived in Texas, my dentist had this young Korean hygienist who looked like a movie star. When she'd clean my teeth she kept having to remind me to not hang my tongue out.

Demonpenz
05-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I had to leave mine after they didn't cash my check....couldn't cope i suppose.

splatbass
05-26-2013, 09:54 PM
I had a scheduled "teeth cleaning" two weeks ago. I arrive on time and the dental assistant proceeds to lay the xray vest on me so I say just a cleaning, I had xrays last year. She leaves and the dentist arrives saying annual xrays are standards of his practice and required by his profession. I said its my body and I didn't want xrays every year. He said its not negotiable so I said I'm outta here and left.

You have control. No one is forcing you to go to a dentist. But if you want to keep your teeth it is a good idea. And it is a good idea to do what they tell you. They are highly trained professionals, while you are a moron that gets offended for no reason.

Rasputin
05-26-2013, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't want to get radiation X ray every year on my mouth. Every year? **** that. Good way get yourself cancer. Doctors don't like giving patients x rays unless they think its a must.

If a dentist can't look in your mouth with a mirror and see if you actually need an X Ray then America needs better dentist.

You should not be exposed to X ray in your mouth every year. Am pretty sure you are putting yourself at risk if you are. I'm not a doctor or dentist so I could be wrong?

DTLB58
05-26-2013, 10:09 PM
That's weird since my insurance still allows for just cleaning.

DTLB58
05-26-2013, 10:11 PM

And that is exactly what most insurance plans allow for. So I don't know wtf they are doing.

wazu
05-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Never had an appointment that was anything but cleaning.

The Franchise
05-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't want to get radiation X ray every year on my mouth. Every year? **** that. Good way get yourself cancer. Doctors don't like giving patients x rays unless they think its a must.

If a dentist can't look in your mouth with a mirror and see if you actually need an X Ray then America needs better dentist.

You should not be exposed to X ray in your mouth every year. Am pretty sure you are putting yourself at risk if you are. I'm not a doctor or dentist so I could be wrong?

Lolwut?

Rasputin
05-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Lolwut?

Probably something saying I am full of shit?

I don't know but they do expose radiation or you wouldn't need a radiation vest. So if you got healthy teeth and just need a cleaning why would you get x rays done?

splatbass
05-26-2013, 10:44 PM

The new digital X-rays use a lot less radiation than the old film ones did.

splatbass
05-26-2013, 10:45 PM
That's weird since my insurance still allows for just cleaning.

My insurance pays for X-rays.

Rasputin
05-26-2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20often%20should%20you%20get%20x%20rays%20at%20the%20dentist&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2011%2F09%2F15%2Fhealth%2Fliving-well%2Fdental-x-rays&ei=zeOiUe30K4bJ0AG6xoG4Dg&usg=AFQjCNFeEJcX5nkZRiytLMFV5hsm1xbmxw

This from CNN.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20often%20should%20you%20get%20x%20rays%20at%20the%20dentist&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-504763_162-57411765-10391704%2Fyearly-dental-x-rays-raise-brain-tumor-risk-study-finds%2F&ei=zeOiUe30K4bJ0AG6xoG4Dg&usg=AFQjCNHxLBqG_imaZ1MGmKkfrb4dLlfF8g

And this from CBS. Study shows link from dental x ray to put at risk for brain tumor. They are saying get an x ray if the dentist looks in your mouth and sees a need for it. If it isn't necessary then you don't need one every year.

HoneyBadger
05-26-2013, 11:42 PM
You realize you would have to have dental X-rays for days straight for it to have any negative effect. Stupid.

Rain Man
05-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Now that I think about it, my pattern has become a 3/4 waltz. I have to get my teeth cleaned every four months because I have one of those dental implants that they have to check out. But the insurance only covers two cleanings and two exams per year. So once every four months I get a cleaning and nothing else, and the other two times I get a cleaning and an exam. This means that my exams are on an alternating schedule of four months and then eight months, with a cleaning on the third beat. It's like the Blue Danube with dental picks.

DaFace
05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I don't really get why you'd want to go to a dentist but never have x-rays done. The whole point is to catch cavities early so that they don't end up causing major damage, right? I'd assume tooge is right that they could be held responsible if you ended up with a major issue that they didn't find because they didn't do x-rays.

My dentist does x-rays once per year and cleanings every six months. My insurance pays for all of it, so I wouldn't want them to skip out on them regardless.

Chiefnj2
05-27-2013, 05:56 AM
I think the secretary played it poorly. They should have said to come in for the cleaning and let the dentist explain why x-rays were , or weren't, needed/recommended at this particular visit. On the phone making the appointment they don't know if Laz had a series of head x-rays for other reasons, etc.

BigRichard
05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
I think the secretary played it poorly. They should have said to come in for the cleaning and let the dentist explain why x-rays were , or weren't, needed/recommended at this particular visit. On the phone making the appointment they don't know if Laz had a series of head x-rays for other reasons, etc.

Agree, you might want to call back and talk to a manager. But you also should get the X-Rays.

Stewie
05-27-2013, 06:37 AM
My insurance pays for two cleanings per year and x-rays once per year. I think I read they're going to change the x-ray to 18 months.

I was at the dentist three weeks ago and recently got the statement of payment for services (x-rays included). $125. Pretty cheap. I think without x-rays it's about $85. I imagine it would be cheaper if you were a cash paying patient.

One thing I've noticed is by changing to a Sonicare toothbrush my cleanings go much faster. That toothbrush just blasts plaque off the teeth and under the gums.

griZZly64
05-27-2013, 07:02 AM
I find it hilarious that you're so old and bitter that you think everybody needs to just do it your way.. nah **** getting a routine x-ray that takes literally bout a minute to put the ****in heavy bib thing, 10 seconds to shove the ****in shit between ur teeth and maybe another 5 seconds to actually take the x-rays. **** THAT!

The nerve of those people trying to keep you healthy....

BeeHo
05-27-2013, 07:22 AM
whuddup. dental student here (albeit just a decent one):

minimum x-rays taken are bitewings which show me the crown and broad contacts between the posterior teeth where decay is often found beneath. looking just inside the mouth can be very difficult. also, the bitewings shows me the extent of the decay.

drchristophermorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/bitewing.jpg

if you have very very good oral hygiene, then you can definitely argue pushing the interval of x-rays to 18 months (even up to years, though not likely).

if you have lots of crowns and composite (tooth colored) and amalgam (silver) fillings, then bitewings once a year is fine. if there's decay underneath the crowns, they may take full mouth x-rays.

if you have very poor oral oral hygiene, then i would get the bitewings once a year. then tell you to fkn brush and floss.

in regards to radiation exposure: dental radiation is a fraction compared to extensive exposure given in hospitals. the shape and length of the x-ray collimator only allows parallel rays to exit and focus on the area where the dentist wants it. fyi: rectangular collimators expose less than circular collimators.

I would be more worried about thyroid cancer than a tumor in the brain ,but there should be a throat shield placed on top of the lead vest. I'm aware there are dental offices that don't do this.

Dave Lane
05-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Its a money grab plan and simple. And once every couple of years is good for xrays.

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:34 AM

wow ... so i guess others pull this crap too.

DaFace
05-27-2013, 09:39 AM
wow ... so i guess others pull this crap too.

Again, it's a liability issue. If your dentist lets you push them around as if you know more than they do about what's important, you're probably seeing a shitty dentist.

http://www.pepindds.com/faq/fact3.html

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:40 AM
I find it hilarious that you're so old and bitter that you think everybody needs to just do it your way.. nah **** getting a routine x-ray that takes literally bout a minute to put the ****in heavy bib thing, 10 seconds to shove the ****in shit between ur teeth and maybe another 5 seconds to actually take the x-rays. **** THAT!

The nerve of those people trying to keep you healthy....
well it's my body, my money so yes i think the choice should be mine.

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Again, it's a liability issue. If your dentist lets you push them around as if you know more than they do about what's important, you're probably seeing a shitty dentist.

http://www.pepindds.com/faq/fact3.html
lets me .... push them ... around?

they are the one trying to force me to do something i didn't want or ask for

DaFace
05-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Tell ya what - call your dentist and let them know you're willing to sign a waiver of all rights to sue them for malpractice and that you won't hold them responsible for your dental health in any way, shape, or form. They might go for that.

05-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Do you not have insurance or something? There is no reason to not get the xrays. That is how they determine that everything is healthy.

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Tell ya what - call your dentist and let them know you're willing to sign a waiver of all rights to sue them for malpractice and that you won't hold them responsible for your dental health in any way, shape, or form. They might go for that.
nah ... not worth the trouble.

I'll just find another dentist

DaFace
05-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Be sure to ask if they'll accept you as a patient without xrays. Chances are, they won't.

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Do you not have insurance or something? There is no reason to not get the xrays. That is how they determine that everything is healthy.
My insurance stopped covering dental last year.

Rain Man
05-27-2013, 09:46 AM
whuddup. dental student here (albeit just a decent one):

minimum x-rays taken are bitewings which show me the crown and broad contacts between the posterior teeth where decay is often found beneath. looking just inside the mouth can be very difficult. also, the bitewings shows me the extent of the decay.

drchristophermorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/bitewing.jpg

if you have very very good oral hygiene, then you can definitely argue pushing the interval of x-rays to 18 months (even up to years, though not likely).

if you have lots of crowns and composite (tooth colored) and amalgam (silver) fillings, then bitewings once a year is fine. if there's decay underneath the crowns, they may take full mouth x-rays.

if you have very poor oral oral hygiene, then i would get the bitewings once a year. then tell you to fkn brush and floss.

in regards to radiation exposure: dental radiation is a fraction compared to extensive exposure given in hospitals. the shape and length of the x-ray collimator only allows parallel rays to exit and focus on the area where the dentist wants it. fyi: rectangular collimators expose less than circular collimators.

I would be more worried about thyroid cancer than a tumor in the brain ,but there should be a throat shield placed on top of the lead vest. I'm aware there are dental offices that don't do this.

Question: when I get x-rays, why is the little thing in my mouth always so large that the corners bite into the roof of my mouth?

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Question: when I get x-rays, why is the little thing in my mouth always so large that the corners bite into the roof of my mouth?

1 size fits all ... blame all the people with horse faces and huge mouths like John Elway.

http://tacticalip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/elway_horseface-300x225.png

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Be sure to ask if they'll accept you as a patient without xrays. Chances are, they won't.
maybe, maybe not but my old dentist won't be getting anymore of my money.

congrats to him for sticking to his guns and not letting a patient dictate what health service they wanted.

The nerve of those stupid patients, need to just shut up and do want they are told.

05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Well, now that I think about it, mine did that for me once. I had been laid off and couldn't afford Cobra at the time. I told them I wanted my dental cleaning but nothing else and they let me do that.

Stewie
05-27-2013, 09:58 AM
I find it funny that people complain about a dentist bill. For the most part it's pretty cheap. Not doing regular checkups, including x-rays, lead to two things. It's either a very expensive procedure or fewer teeth.

As I was told long ago, "If you ignore your teeth they'll go away."

Bump
05-27-2013, 10:02 AM
this dude was telling me that he went to one dentist and that dentist told him that he had 8 cavities. He was surprised so he went to another dentist, they took x rays and he had zero cavities. A lot of those motherfuckers are crooks.

bevischief
05-27-2013, 10:03 AM
I haven't been to one of those butchers since I left the Air Force. Going on about 13 years.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Don't go then

Saulbadguy
05-27-2013, 10:20 AM

I bet you have really nice teeth.

Fairplay
05-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I haven't been to one of those butchers since I left the Air Force. Going on about 13 years.

I bet you have really nice teeth.

05-27-2013, 10:25 AM
I find it funny that people complain about a dentist bill. For the most part it's pretty cheap. Not doing regular checkups, including x-rays, lead to two things. It's either a very expensive procedure or fewer teeth.

As I was told long ago, "If you ignore your teeth they'll go away."

thats not always true. I had a cavity that couldn't be seen by xrays and the dentist didn't really try to determin the problem until my last visit even though I complained about it at my visit 6 months ago. Turned out that cavity was huge and I had to get a major filling.

Then, the filling wasn't taking so I had to go back in this past week for a better filling and it hurt like hell. I'm fine now but really pissed I have to pay for the same procedure twice when they should have done the better filling the first time.

Actually considering changing dentists for the first time since 1995 because of it.

Stewie
05-27-2013, 10:32 AM
thats not always true. I had a cavity that couldn't be seen by xrays and the dentist didn't really try to determin the problem until my last visit even though I complained about it at my visit 6 months ago. Turned out that cavity was huge and I had to get a major filling.

Then, the filling wasn't taking so I had to go back in this past week for a better filling and it hurt like hell. I'm fine now but really pissed I have to pay for the same procedure twice when they should have done the better filling the first time.

Actually considering changing dentists for the first time since 1995 because of it.

If your dentist can't find a huge cavity and then screws up the procedure the first time around I'd find a new dentist, too.

It doesn't mean to quit going to any dentist, ever. Just find a good one.

05-27-2013, 10:42 AM
If your dentist can't find a huge cavity and then screws up the procedure the first time around I'd find a new dentist, too.

It doesn't mean to quit going to any dentist, ever. Just find a good one.

he didn't screw it up. He just didn't use the better material for my situation.

As far as your second comment... where did I say anything about not going to the dentist? I said I am considering changing dentists. I would NEVER not go to a dentist.

Stewie
05-27-2013, 10:55 AM
he didn't screw it up. He just didn't use the better material for my situation.

As far as your second comment... where did I say anything about not going to the dentist? I said I am considering changing dentists. I would NEVER not go to a dentist.

The second comment wasn't directed at you. It was in response to people who haven't been to the dentist for years. Maybe I should have separated my comments.

I'd call your dentist and ask about charges for the fix. I know my dentist works with that sort of deal. I had two crowns about two years ago and the office charged my insurance a tooth that already had a crown. I went through a bunch of insurance related stuff to get it straightened out. In the end my dentist didn't charge me for that crown.

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 11:05 AM
How about when the put in a crown and 6 months later that crown breaks.

seems like a defective crown to me :harumph:

cosmo20002
05-27-2013, 11:40 AM
this dude was telling me that he went to one dentist and that dentist told him that he had 8 cavities. He was surprised so he went to another dentist, they took x rays and he had zero cavities. A lot of those mother****ers are crooks.

I know someone who had a similar experience. Just like any profession, there are bad ones and crooks out there. Of course, it could have been the 2nd one that was the bad one. I wouldn't go to any doctor that advertises on TV.

cosmo20002
05-27-2013, 11:48 AM
How about when the put in a crown and 6 months later that crown breaks.

seems like a defective crown to me :harumph:

If it falls out, dentist would probably put it back in for free. If it actually breaks in 6 months, then probably a manufacturer defect, but would probably be blamed on those jawbreakers you are always biting into.

kstater
05-27-2013, 11:49 AM

You do...they have control over their business

Frazod
05-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Semi-annual checkups are free. Needing a $1,200 crown because I didn't avail myself of the free semi-annual checkups cost $600.

Now I get those free semi-annual checkups.

I have an excellent dentist now. He's quirky - hums the entire time he's working. Very odd. But I have yet to experience any real pain while he's worked on me, so he can hum all he wants.

BeeHo
05-27-2013, 12:20 PM

is it digital x-ray? there are different digital x-ray systems and sizes dentists can buy. but those sensors they put in the mouth are very expensive. maybe the dentist didn't want to buy the smaller sensors too.

also, it seems your anatomy doesn't suit that size of sensor/film but not much can be done unless you tried the pedo sized films (though you risk not capturing all of the teeth in the film)

splatbass
05-27-2013, 12:30 PM
One thing I've noticed is by changing to a Sonicare toothbrush my cleanings go much faster. That toothbrush just blasts plaque off the teeth and under the gums.

Absolutely. I have had fewer cavities since I started using one 15 years ago. Highly recommended.

splatbass
05-27-2013, 12:34 PM

If you go to a dentist you should follow their treatment plan. If you don't want to do that then stop going to the dentist. No one is forcing you to go.

Fucking children here, I swear.

splatbass
05-27-2013, 12:36 PM

If you find one that won't do X-Rays then you will have found a SHITTY dentist. Why would you want to go to a shitty dentist? Because you are a stubborn dumbass that refuses to do what is best for yourself?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
I remember when I was 9 and whined about the dentist. Enjoy your teeth rotting out

splatbass
05-27-2013, 12:39 PM
maybe, maybe not but my old dentist won't be getting anymore of my money.

congrats to him for sticking to his guns and not letting a patient dictate what health service they wanted.

The nerve of those stupid patients, need to just shut up and do want they are told.

Why would a highly trained professional want to let a dumbass motherfucker that doesn't know shit about dentistry tell him how to treat a patient?

Fairplay
05-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Semi-annual checkups are free. Needing a $1,200 crown because I didn't avail myself of the free semi-annual checkups cost $600.

Now I get those free semi-annual checkups.

I have an excellent dentist now. He's quirky - hums the entire time he's working. Very odd. But I have yet to experience any real pain while he's worked on me, so he can hum all he wants.

He gives you hummers while working on your teeth?

splatbass
05-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Find a good dentist.

I have had bad dentists before, but have found a really good one that is a perfectionist. He has been complaining for 15 years about some previous filings that he wants to replace. He admits they are functionally fine but just look like shit. It just drives him nuts looking at crappy fillings. :)

Mr. Laz
05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
If it falls out, dentist would probably put it back in for free. If it actually breaks in 6 months, then probably a manufacturer defect, but would probably be blamed on those jawbreakers you are always biting into.
no jawbreakers, no ice

just broke so i had to pay another 1100 bucks for a new crown

why does a tiny,tiny,tiny little piece of molded plastic cost 1100 bucks again?

thieving bastards :cuss:

splatbass
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
no jawbreakers, no ice

Plastic? My crowns are porcelain. The older ones are stainless steel covered in porcelain. I've never heard of a plastic crown.

seclark
05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Plastic? My crowns are porcelain. The older ones are stainless steel covered in porcelain. I've never heard of a plastic crown.

they just super-glued a leggo onto the top of that rotted nubbin.
sec

houstonwhodat
05-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Take care of your teeth dude.

Try imagining your life without them.

BeeHo
05-27-2013, 05:41 PM
no jawbreakers, no ice

i'm unaware of plastic crowns. they do, however, have prefabricated plastic temporary crowns.

crowns are expensive because of the quality of the material, especially high noble metals, and the skill it takes to make one.

i made a few full metal crowns by myself and it was a pain in the ass.

if your dentist made their own using a cad/cam system (which costs 100 K+ to buy the equipment), then that can add to the cost but delivers crown more quickly.

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2013, 05:51 PM
this dude was telling me that he went to one dentist and that dentist told him that he had 8 cavities. He was surprised so he went to another dentist, they took x rays and he had zero cavities. A lot of those mother****ers are crooks.

This guy?

http://talesfromahungrylife.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/steve-martin-dentist.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
05-27-2013, 05:53 PM

I had a filling done a year ago and because he didn't use a wedge between my molars, I had what seemed like a freakin' canyon between them. Consequently, it was constantly getting packed with food, had some irritation in the gums. Went in a year later and my dentist replaced the filling free of charge.

splatbass
05-27-2013, 05:59 PM
I had a filling done a year ago and because he didn't use a wedge between my molars, I had what seemed like a freakin' canyon between them. Consequently, it was constantly getting packed with food, had some irritation in the gums. Went in a year later and my dentist replaced the filling free of charge.

I had a problem with a filling shortly after I got it and my dentist fixed it for free too. The good ones do, because they care about their work.

The world is filled with lousy dentists. I had one in Virginia that was a hot woman with a dental assistant with enormous tits, so when she filled my teeth (poorly) I had a boob in each ear. Almost worth it....:)

My dentist for the last 21 years has been awesome. He isn't hot though. :)

The moral of the story is that if you want boobs pressed against your head get a hooker. If you want good dental work get a good dentist.