PDA

View Full Version : Life Belated hats off to all who served

CrazyPhuD
05-29-2013, 03:45 PM
I went looking for a memorial day thread but didn't find one(well other than the 'working on memorial day').

Was just catching up on some of the alumni from my old fraternity when I found out one of my old fraternity brothers was killed in Afghanistan back in September.

Hats off to all who've served and put everything on the line to defend our freedoms.

Dayze
05-29-2013, 03:59 PM
:thumb:
ahh...memories.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/US-DeptOfNavy-Seal.svg/210px-US-DeptOfNavy-Seal.svg.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wvAACdHZ0cM/TY90nOXKDlI/AAAAAAAABz0/3uC1DWHynbg/s1600/Aircraft%2Bcarrier%2Bvinson.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/VFA-22_Redcocks.jpg/200px-VFA-22_Redcocks.jpg

http://bluejacket.com/usn/images/ac/f/fa18_vfa22_fires.jpg

http://www.lovethesepics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Navy-Lieutenant-Luke-Kremer-pilots-his-F-A-18-C-%E2%80%9CHornet%E2%80%9D-strike-fighter-from-the-%E2%80%9CFighting-Redcocks%E2%80%9D-of-Strike-Fighter-Squadron-Two-Two-VFA-22-over-the-Fort-Jefferson-National-Monument.jpg

digger
05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Hats off to all who've served and put everything on the line to defend our freedoms.

This.

Earthling
05-29-2013, 04:15 PM
VP-31 Moffett Field USN Anti-submarine warfare. 1969-73 Thanks :) :thumb:

Cheater5
05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding like an @$$hole, this thread has a Veteran's Day feel to it; thanking folks for their service.

Memorial Day is for those who died in service of our country while in the Armed Forces.

Since you are the only person to bring up any sort of commemoration whatsoever for our national holiday yesterday, I sincerely hope you don't take my post as belittling your sentiment. In fact, thanks for taking the time to say something other than it sucks to work on a holiday. Seriously :thumb:

Since last Memorial Day, sadly one more was added to my own personal list of those I know:

Sergeant First Class Daniel T. Metcalfe, Killed in Action, 29 September 2012. RIP.

Dayze
05-29-2013, 05:54 PM
this is a good point. ^

crazycoffey
05-29-2013, 06:21 PM
this is a good point. ^

Yup, I had a lot of posts on Facebook thanking me and I wanted to respond, but I'm not dead. I decided the point is sorta moot and appreciate that the efforts are being made, because most living vets and service members (even not veterans of a war zone) all know something about service in the military and are/have been heart touched by a service member they knew who has paid with their lives.

In short, I agree but didn't say anything about it anywhere else

PunkinDrublic
05-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I spent four years in the Navy during the late 90's when there was no major war going on. Most of my time was spent in southern California. I feel a tinge of guilt whenever someone thanks me for my service as if I did a couple of tours in Afghanistan.

Dayze
05-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I spent four years in the Navy during the late 90's when their was no major war going on. Most of my time was spent in southern California. I feel a tinge of guilt whenever someone thanks me for my service as if I did a couple of tours in Afghanistan.

Eh. Still put yourself in a spot to get called into conflict etc. that's how I see it.

BigBeauford
05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks

Combat Medic
U.S. Army

crazycoffey
05-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Eh. Still put yourself in a spot to get called into conflict etc. that's how I see it.

Yup,

When you enter the service you write the blank check, some pay the ultimate price, some pay with mental or physical scars. Some pay with less, but all write the blank check. Still I hear what he's say too though.

CrazyPhuD
05-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding like an @$$hole, this thread has a Veteran's Day feel to it; thanking folks for their service.

Memorial Day is for those who died in service of our country while in the Armed Forces.

Since you are the only person to bring up any sort of commemoration whatsoever for our national holiday yesterday, I sincerely hope you don't take my post as belittling your sentiment. In fact, thanks for taking the time to say something other than it sucks to work on a holiday. Seriously :thumb:

Since last Memorial Day, sadly one more was added to my own personal list of those I know:

Sergeant First Class Daniel T. Metcalfe, Killed in Action, 29 September 2012. RIP.

I don't disagree I started this to remember my old fraternity brother and as a reminded of all those who have been willing to pay the ultimate price to defend our freedom. I normally refrain from putting too much personal related information online but he deserves the recognition.

Lt. Col. Christopher "Otis" Raible, killed in action, Sept 14 2012, Afghanistan.

We only overlapped a short time but he was a marine through and through.

During the early portion of the fighting, the Marine Attack Squadron 211 (VMA-211) squadron commander, Lieutenant Colonel Chris Raible, was killed while personally leading an attack on the infiltrators, armed only with his pistol.

Rest in peace my old friend you will be missed.