PDA

View Full Version : Life Paterno family vs. NCAA lawsuit

Msmith
05-30-2013, 11:32 AM
The lawyer for the family of the late Joe Paterno announced Wednesday that he plans on suing the NCAA, its president Mark Emmert and its executive committee chairman, Ed Ray...

In layman's terms, the Paternos aren't pleased that Penn State hired former FBI head Louis Freeh to investigate the school's involvement in the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal. They also aren't pleased that the school fully accepted Freeh's evidence and conclusion, which painted some administrators and Paterno in a negative light...

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--paterno-family-vs--ncaa-lawsuit-illustrates-happy-valley-divide-is-still-very-real-005344142.html

The family is trying to clear JoePa's name. But will it backfire?

BlackHelicopters
05-30-2013, 11:34 AM
ScottPa announced this from his office at Golden Corral

jspchief
05-30-2013, 11:46 AM
If the Paternos had any decency they would leave this alone.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-30-2013, 11:50 AM

If I was confident my father had no knowledge of a crime as heinous as that one, I would spend every day of my life trying to clear his name. They didn't strip Sandusky of all those wins, they stripped JoPa.

Did he know? Probably. None of us truly know that though.

exterminator
05-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Ban Paterno.

houstonwhodat
05-30-2013, 11:52 AM

This will not end well for them.

It's hard to prove if Paterno knew anything or not but if I had to guess I would say yes and that he looked the other way.

Msmith
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
The family is banking on the "Where is the smoking gun?"

jspchief
05-30-2013, 11:59 AM
If I was confident my father had no knowledge of a crime as heinous as that one, I would spend every day of my life trying to clear his name. They didn't strip Sandusky of all those wins, they stripped JoPa.

I think a lot of people knew. At least heard the whispers enough to think it was a possibility.

J Diddy
05-30-2013, 12:00 PM

They've literally got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

ptlyon
05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
They've literally got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Except to prove to the world that he is a liar too

BlackHelicopters
05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Ironic that the Paternos were silent for so long, now they can't shut up.

Bugeater
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM

They'll never clear his name. It happened under his watch, plain and simple.

ChiefRocka
05-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Ironic that the Paternos were silent for so long, now they can't shut up.

They were never silent up until and including now. The media just hasn't put them in the spotlight. Rutgers owns it now.

Garcia Bronco
05-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Its very clear that he knew. They pulled emails and had the testimony of another person that says he informed JP.

GloryDayz
05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:: popcorn::popcorn:

BlackHelicopters
05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
They were never silent up until and including now. The media just hasn't put them in the spotlight. Rutgers owns it now.

They were silent for one maybe two decades while JS was diddling boys.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
None of this would have happened if that arrogant prick retired at a normal age

Pitt Gorilla
05-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Did he know? Probably. None of us truly know that though.They would have to define a new level of denial for this to be close to plausible.

jettio
05-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I do not see how this supposed case by the Paterno family creates any factual or legal questions that would need to be decided by a judge or jury.

Penn State could fire Paterno then. I suppose there could be an issue regards severance pay under the contract, but I am not aware of any controversy about that.

Once Penn State fires him, Paterno has no standing to complain about any stupid decision Penn State makes as part of its voluntary membership in the NCAA.

I suppose their could be an argument about the vacated wins, but that's part of the consent decree and is nothing but soap bubbles any way. The games were played and the scores were what they were.

Paterno is dead and I just don't see why anyone would go to court to sue for the restoration of a dead man's reputation.

If the family wants to sell JoePa memorabilla and make some money there is no reason to think that a lawsuit would increase the market.

If they want to sell a side of the story that makes Paterno look better, sell it to the public outside of the courthouse.

One thing that deserves a little more attention is how the grand jury indictment was not made known until after Penn State beat Illinois and Paterno passed Eddie Robinson on the wins list.

IMO, there was some stalling that was done on purpose even after that county finally had a DA willing to prosecute Sandusky. That might be why Penn State agreed to the weird sanction of vacating wins because an ex-coach was a pervert. That idea does not make any sense, but maybe there was some funny business about the timing and that was some stupid way of punishing for that.

GloryDayz
05-30-2013, 03:22 PM
None of this would have happened if that arrogant prick retired at a normal age

Interesting perspective...

Setsuna
05-30-2013, 07:44 PM

LMAOLMAOLMAO WTF? He did know. Were you even paying attention when this happened?

EagleRob
05-30-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm a Penn State alum and I wish they would just let this thing go. The University has been through enough with this.

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
JoePa was a Pennophile.

GloryDayz
05-30-2013, 08:33 PM
What's next, a reality show?

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
05-31-2013, 02:08 PM
The fact that Paterno decided not to have Sandusky take over the head coaching position after he retired speaks volumes about what Paterno knew. This decision came one year after allegations started arising about Sandusky's escapades. You don't groom a replacement coach for 10 years plus and then suddenly change your mind unless something really serious happens. Paterno knew he couldn't let Sandusky take the reigns of Penn State and he damn sure knew why. Paterno knew everything that went on at PSU. Paterno made ***** look like mother Teresa!

Setsuna
05-31-2013, 03:15 PM
What's next, a reality show?

Life of Pa?

Msmith
05-31-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm a Penn State alum and I wish they would just let this thing go. The University has been through enough with this.

EagleRob, how do your take on this?

buddha
05-31-2013, 04:38 PM

Did Paterno know...? Dear lord son, did you not follow any of this when it was happening? Paterno knew and covered it up...that's not even a question at this point. When he first knew...? Who knows?

GloryDayz
05-31-2013, 05:22 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

EagleRob
05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
EagleRob, how do your take on this?

Paterno admitted knowledge of Sandusky's behavior and claimed he didn't know the right way to respond to it so he reported it to the AD, but washed his hands of it thereafter. I agree with the NCAAs decision to strip him of credit for his wins and think the family should let it go. As an alum who paid to attend over ten years of games that were clearly wins at the time, I'm still waiting for my refund check to come in the mail...any day now I suppose. I think it was just to punish the football program (even though my fellow alums think it was too severe) and to convict Sandusky for each and every charge. But, I think Penn State fans are paying a good deal of the bill here, financially and emotionally. The year after the news broke was awful for the Penn State community but I'm proud that our alumni raised over $500,000 to donate to child sex abuse victims despite being called a child abuser by witch-hunting masses for being associated with the school. The Paterno family needs to let this go and accept that the great JoePa was a mortal with a fatal flaw like everyone else that walks this planet.