PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports What is the worst rule in all of sports, in your opinion?

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Let's hear em?

I'll post mine in my next post as to not sway this thread one way or another in the OP.

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Defensive Pass Interference is getting there, but for me it's the DH.

I can't stand it, I know it makes for more exciting baseball, but I feel like baseball should be, you want to bat, you need to field a position.

lewdog
05-30-2013, 10:17 PM
That NFL games actually have to be played in Qualcomm Stadium a minimum of 8 times a year.

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:19 PM
That NFL games actually have to be played in Qualcomm Stadium a minimum of 8 times a year.

Why are you wasting your time trying burning a Chargers fan or the Chargers?

I already know we're irrelevant and that we suck balls.

lewdog
05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Why are you wasting your time trying burning a Chargers fan or the Chargers?

I already know we're irrelevant and that we suck balls.

Just participating in the thread. It is a really fucking shitty rule, bro.

In58men
05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Still bummed about the lowering the head rule.

Psyko Tek
05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
I think Baseball needs a MLB to rush the pitcher
maybe the shortstop can pass block
what do you think?
it would make baseball fun

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Defensive Pass Interference is getting there, but for me it's the DH.

I can't stand it, I know it makes for more exciting baseball, but I feel like baseball should be, you want to bat, you need to field a position.

Seriously? I hate the rule that pitchers have to hit. Sorry, but I don't want to watch innings end with a catcher getting walked to get to a pitcher. Or a final inning where you have to pull from the bottom of your bench to grab a pinch hitter. It's like forcing your kicker to play receiver.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-30-2013, 10:22 PM
The DH is a horrific rule. It gives the AL a massive advantage.

Ceej
05-30-2013, 10:23 PM
The entire BCS.

Buck

But watching the pitcher hit is too boring.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Seriously? I hate the rule that pitchers have to hit. Sorry, but I don't want to watch innings end with a catcher getting walked to get to a pitcher. Or a final inning where you have to pull from the bottom of your bench to grab a pinch hitter. It's like forcing your kicker to play receiver.

God forbid that baseball players be required to actually field a position, run the bases, throw a ball, and hit.

Oz_Chief
Right now the ice hockey delay of game penalty. If a player sends the puck directly off of the ice it is 2 minutes. It has been called many times. I have yet to see it be the correct call.

notorious
05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Outside the tackles.

I don't hate the rule, I hate the way they call it.

Defensive holding. It's a bailout call.

wazu
05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
The DH. Just goes against the spirit of the game. There might be screwier rules out there for other sports, but none are as far-reaching and game-changing.

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Outside the tackles.

I don't hate the rule, I hate the way they call it.

Defensive holding. It's a bailout call.

I think it would be a lot better if contact was completely legal (barring headshots or whatever) within 10 yards of the LOS.

MVChiefFan
05-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Here's something that's been bothering me lately. When a baserunner steals a base but because the catcher doesn't attempt a throw then it's indifference and not a stolen base. Just give the guy a stolen base for crying out loud! It's not like it matters!

'Hamas' Jenkins
Only idiots walk the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher, BTW. Rolling the lineup over is a moronic tactical decision.

Jewish Rabbi

It's called strategy.

ChiefsCountry
Over the back call in basketball.

DH is one of my favorites.

notorious
05-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I think it would be a lot better if contact was completely legal (barring headshots or whatever) within 10 yards of the LOS.

Basically go back to the "Pre-Manning bitching about the Pats D-Backs" era.

Jewish Rabbi
05-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Here's something that's been bothering me lately. When a baserunner steals a base but because the catcher doesn't attempt a throw then it's indifference and not a stolen base. Just give the guy a stolen base for crying out loud! It's not like it matters!

The only time indifference is called, it is the correct call.

WhawhaWhat
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
No more chairshots to the head in WWE. Seriously weak rule.

chiefsfan987
05-30-2013, 10:34 PM
The dumbest rule in baseball is without a doubt being able to run to first on a strikeout if the catcher doesn't catch the ball. I mean seriously. That rule still boggles the mind.

Just Passin' By
05-30-2013, 10:35 PM
DH in baseball
Instigator penalty in hockey
Defenseless receiver rule, and the new overtime rules, in football
Almost every new rule or adjusted rule in the NBA post-80's era

I could probably think of some others that are right up there at the top of the suck pile.

wazu
05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
If the tuck rule wasn't so rare it would be high on the list.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
The dumbest rule in baseball is without a doubt being able to run to first on a strikeout if the catcher doesn't catch the ball. I mean seriously. That rule still boggles the mind.

I don't mind that rule, although I almost had a stroke when Carpenter struck out a Philly in the bottom of the 8th in Game 5 of the LDS and he reached first. I was sure that fuck was going to score and tie the game.

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
It's called strategy.

That's just a made-up word baseball fans use to explain a phenomena that should never happen.

I'm sorry, but when you recruit a basketball center, you factor in how they will defend vs. score vs. rebound, etc.... When you recruit a pitcher, their ability to hit is 0% of what they are asked to do, nor should it ever be more than 0%. It is the one position in all of sports where you ask a player to do something entirely outside of what they are recruited to do. It is like asking a kicker to play linebacker or a goalie to play offense.

The result is that you have complete doofuses sitting in the batter's box and the best you can do is to teach them to bunt. You might as well just throw the at bat away.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Possession arrow in college basketball.

Seriously? Is it that fucking difficult to do a jump ball?

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Possession arrow in college basketball.

Seriously? Is it that ****ing difficult to do a jump ball?

That I will agree with.

I also hate sudden death NFL overtime and can't wait for playoff overtime rules to become regular season rules. It drives me nuts that one team can lose a game so often without ever once holding the ball on offense.

hometeam
05-30-2013, 10:41 PM
That's just a made-up word baseball fans use to explain a phenomena that should never happen.

I'm sorry, but when you recruit a basketball center, you factor in how they will defend vs. score vs. rebound, etc.... When you recruit a pitcher, their ability to hit is 0% of what they are asked to do, nor should it ever be more than 0%. It is the one position in all of sports where you ask a player to do something entirely outside of what they are recruited to do. It is like asking a kicker to play linebacker or a goalie to play offense.

The result is that you have complete doofuses sitting in the batter's box and the best you can do is to teach them to bunt. You might as well just throw the at bat away.

Kicker plays return team~

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:42 PM
That I will agree with.

I also hate sudden death NFL overtime and can't wait for playoff overtime rules to become regular season rules. It drives me nuts that one team can lose a game so often without ever once holding the ball on offense.

Is that scheduled to happen or is it still Playoffs only for now?

Edit: wait, isn't that already how it is?

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Most people who dislike the DH are NL fans.

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Most people who dislike the DH are NL fans.

Most people who like the DH are AL fans.

Titty Meat
05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Most of baseballs

Phobia
05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
I hate knee-downs in football. I think they should be required to advance the ball and if they don't make positive yardage, the clock run-down doesn't start for that play. I want to see 60 minutes of football, not 57. I guess I'm okay if the team on offense is up by 2 touchdowns but if we're talking about a 21-18 game, nobody should be kneeling. Play the game.

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Another rule I despise is college rules for the restricted area under the basket.

To get called for the charge, you should be at least in the way of the basket, not standing underneath it

Buck
05-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Also lowering the mound was dumb.

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Let's face it. The dumbest rule of any sport (don't know why it just came to me) is the stupid-ass soccer rule to not have a clock for stoppage time.

How fucking hard is it to show you exactly how much time is left in a game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Funny, I was under the impression that you recruited baseball players. Some of those players just happen to be better at pitching than hitting. Dave Winfield was a converted pitcher. Jason Motte was a converted catcher. Mariano Rivera and K-Rod were shortstops.

Why don't you ask the 2006 Detroit Tigers how important fielding their position is to pitchers? If Kyle Lohse doesn't get a bunt down in the 10th inning of Game 6, the Cardinals don't eventually win that game and the World Series.

Paying some beer swilling fuck like Jim Thome to sit in the video room for 3.5 hours a night and then look at 20 pitches while at bat four times is a hell of a sight farther away from "baseball" than a hitting pitcher.

griZZly64
05-30-2013, 10:51 PM
If the tuck rule wasn't so rare it would be high on the list.

the tuck rule is no more

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't like the instigator rule in the NHL, but pass interference that can be marked as a 40 yard penalty is just ridiculous. Roughing the passer is getting a bit out of hand as well.

AussieChiefsFan
05-30-2013, 10:54 PM
The new rule about head lowering should be annoying.

Just Passin' By
05-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't like the instigator rule in the NHL, but pass interference that can be marked as a 40 yard penalty is just ridiculous. Roughing the passer is getting a bit out of hand as well.

I've never understood the hostility towards the NFL pass interference rule. It makes sense that you'd be penalized with a spot foul on that. The college version is asinine.

chiefsfan987
05-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Let's face it. The dumbest rule of any sport (don't know why it just came to me) is the stupid-ass soccer rule to not have a clock for stoppage time.

How ****ing hard is it to show you exactly how much time is left in a game.

Yeah, that one is up there. Good call.

wazu
05-30-2013, 10:58 PM

How fucking hard is it to show you exactly how much time is left in a game.

That is unbelievably stupid. But soccer as a sport is still kinda borderline. Getting there, but borderline.

WhawhaWhat
Funny, I was under the impression that you recruited baseball players. Some of those players just happen to be better at pitching than hitting. Dave Winfield was a converted pitcher. Jason Motte was a converted catcher. Mariano Rivera and K-Rod were shortstops.

Why don't you ask the 2006 Detroit Tigers how important fielding their position is to pitchers? If Kyle Lohse doesn't get a bunt down in the 10th inning of Game 6, the Cardinals don't eventually win that game and the World Series.

Paying some beer swilling **** like Jim Thome to sit in the video room for 3.5 hours a night and then look at 20 pitches while at bat four times is a hell of a sight farther away from "baseball" than a hitting pitcher.

Pitchers hitting is the same as kickers tackling. I couldn't care less if I ever see it attempted by either again.

chiefzilla1501

Paying some beer swilling **** like Jim Thome to sit in the video room for 3.5 hours a night and then look at 20 pitches while at bat four times is a hell of a sight farther away from "baseball" than a hitting pitcher.

The only reason a pitcher enters a game in the majors is to pitch. Period. If they can hit or field, that's a cherry on top. But no pitcher has lost his job because he couldn't hit or field. Which means that until the end of time, pitchers hitting is going to be a complete crapshoot. And sorry, I don't take joy in watching a pitcher hit .100.

Name another position in any sport where a player is asked to do something so instrumental in a part of the game that had 0% bearing on why he was brought on to play.

I would rather watch Jim Thome square off against a #1 pitcher than watch a grown man flail at a pitch like a little girl.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Most people who like the DH are AL fans.

Most AL fans I know could go either way on it.

Most NL fans are bleeding vaginas.

:)

WhawhaWhat
05-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Most AL fans I know could go either way on it.

Most NL fans are bleeding vaginas.

:)

:LOL:

chiefzilla1501
05-30-2013, 11:02 PM
I've never understood the hostility towards the NFL pass interference rule. It makes sense that you'd be penalized with a spot foul on that. The college version is asinine.

Because you are basically giving the other team the entire field for a catch that may not have been caught anyway.

In the NBA, you get free throws, which means you still have to earn your way to 2 or 3 points if you don't make the shot. In the NFL, you don't have to earn your way to those 40 yards. It might be a little different if holding rules weren't so damn strict. It would also be easier to take, except that really difficult catches with interference get 40 yards too.

05-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I have never liked the spot foul for pass interference but I also hate that CBs are called for such bogus penalties anymore.

CrazyPhuD
05-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Ties in any sport. You win or you lose. If some team can't manage to win in OT then both teams deserve to lose.

Discuss Thrower
05-30-2013, 11:36 PM
The Possession arrow in any basketball contest above the 5th grade level.

Defensive pass interference as a spot foul.

Offensive holding that is 100% subjective to referee interpretation.

NFHS/NCAA rules prohibiting a "down" lineman reporting as eligible.

The prohibition against using instant replay in top level soccer to determine penalties or goals.

Backwards Masking
05-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Roughing The Passer, because it's called differently for every QB depending on what team they play for, their salary, public perception, likability and (most disturbing) their marketing power.

What's roughing the passer for Pey Pey is not what's roughing the passer for any random Chiefs or Browns QB. Pey Pey gets a hand graze on the shoulder pad the same instant the ball leaves his hand it's 15 yards and automatic first. Random Chiefs or Browns QB can get hit 3 seconds after the play helmet to helmet and have to leave for a series and it's a great defensive play.

Alright I'm exaggerating a bit but I'm not that far off either.

tooge
05-31-2013, 12:17 AM
PI should be a 10 yard penalty.

Psyko Tek
05-31-2013, 12:21 AM
God forbid that baseball players

FYP
sorry in troll mode tonight
listened to my bosses son tell me how great the Dbags are when I have less fucks to give about baseball than the wnba

Just Passin' By
05-31-2013, 12:22 AM

That would then be the worst rule in all of sports, so it would win this thread.

RunKC
05-31-2013, 12:22 AM
The rules that protect QB's in the pocket. It's ridiculous. They've taken the fear out of pass rushers destroying a QB.

05-31-2013, 12:30 AM

15 max

cosmo20002
05-31-2013, 12:35 AM
The one where if a team takes a lead top of an inning, and the game is called because of rain, and the teams aren't scheduled to play again this season, the score reverts to the previous full inning where a team held a lead, thereby possibly giving a win to the team that is losing at the time the game is called.

(see tonight's currently delayed Royals-Cardinals game where KC is leading in the 9th 4-2 with bases loaded and no outs, but could lose the game if it is called.)

05-31-2013, 12:39 AM
The one where if a team takes a lead top of an inning, and the game is called because of rain, and the teams aren't scheduled to play again this season, the score reverts to the previous full inning where a team held a lead, thereby possibly giving a win to the team that is losing at the time the game is called.

(see tonight's currently delayed Royals-Cardinals game where KC is leading in the 9th 4-2 with bases loaded and no outs, but could lose the game if it is called.)

HOLY CRAP They do that? WTF?:spock:

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-31-2013, 12:42 AM

They changed the rule. Worst case scenario: the game is suspended and completed at a later date w/ the Royals up and the bases loaded.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-31-2013, 12:44 AM
And PI should have two tiers. Incidental PI should be a 10 yard penalty or spot foul, whichever is shorter. Egregious PI should be a spot foul. It's clear that the refs need something between illegal contact and spot fouls

cosmo20002
05-31-2013, 12:44 AM
They changed the rule. Worst case scenario: the game is suspended and completed at a later date w/ the Royals up and the bases loaded.

No, they have explained it several times on the game updates tonight. What I described is accurate.

Just Passin' By
05-31-2013, 12:46 AM
I don't know about worst rule, but I've got one that's pretty ****ing bad.

The Detroit Lions game this past Thanksgiving versus Houston. Texans RB runs up the middle, gets tackled, knee obviously touches, refs miss it. He runs 70 yards and is awarded the TD. Schwartz immediately throws challenge flag. Can't challenge a scoring play because they're automatically reviewed.

Rather than doing the logical thing of still reviewing the play and then penalizing the Lions for the illegal flag, there is some dumbass rule that keeps the refs from reviewing the play if the challenge flag is thrown when it shouldn't have been. Therefore, they just let Houston keep the touchdown. All integrity of the game went out the window on that one.

They've changed the rule. There will now be a review in that situation.

05-31-2013, 12:51 AM

The Detroit Lions game this past Thanksgiving versus Houston. Texans RB runs up the middle, gets tackled, knee obviously touches, refs miss it. He runs 70 yards and is awarded the TD. Schwartz immediately throws challenge flag. Can't challenge a scoring play because they're automatically reviewed.

Rather than doing the logical thing of still reviewing the play and then penalizing the Lions for the illegal flag, there is some dumbass rule that keeps the refs from reviewing the play if the challenge flag is thrown when it shouldn't have been. Therefore, they just let Houston keep the touchdown. All integrity of the game went out the window on that one.
They should review that. I always felt that the rule of all scoring plays are reviewed are just to verify they crossed the plain. Not something that happened 70 yards earlier.

chiefzilla1501
05-31-2013, 12:56 AM
Roughing The Passer, because it's called differently for every QB depending on what team they play for, their salary, public perception, likability and (most disturbing) their marketing power.

What's roughing the passer for Pey Pey is not what's roughing the passer for any random Chiefs or Browns QB. Pey Pey gets a hand graze on the shoulder pad the same instant the ball leaves his hand it's 15 yards and automatic first. Random Chiefs or Browns QB can get hit 3 seconds after the play helmet to helmet and have to leave for a series and it's a great defensive play.

I disagree.

The shady bounty shit in New Orleans is exactly why QB protections are in place. The Saints cheated by taking cheap shots at QBs. They succeeded in knocking Kurt Warner and Brett Favre out of critical playoff games. Quite possible they won the Minnesota game by cheating, because Favre didn't return for the critical last series of the game.

It's the Tonya Harding effect. QBs are critical to a game, and the last thing you want is for a team to be incentivized to cheat by taking cheap shots that knock a QB out of a game. Most defensive players will take a fine and a 15 yard penalty if it means knocking a QB out of a game.

Sorter
05-31-2013, 12:57 AM
No knees to the head of a grounded opponent is by far the one I detest the most.

I understand not allowing stomps/soccer kicks within a cage for obvious reasons, but knees to the head need to come back.

SPchief
05-31-2013, 01:00 AM

Wrong

BigMeatballDave
05-31-2013, 01:43 AM

I like the 15-yard college rule.

Speaking of college, I hate their 1 foot inbounds for receptions.

mnchiefsguy
05-31-2013, 01:45 AM

No...because it is the last time that the Royals and Cards are playing this year, it can be called, and the Royals would lose.

BigMeatballDave
05-31-2013, 01:49 AM
I hate that offensive holding is a 10-yard penalty.

Just negating the play is good enough.

notorious
05-31-2013, 01:57 AM
I hate that offensive holding is a 10-yard penalty.

Just negating the play is good enough.

I would like to see the failure rate for drives when holding is called.

If I were a conspiracy nut, this call would be what I would concentrate on. It can be called any time and it's absolutely devastating.

listopencil
05-31-2013, 02:15 AM
Offside in pro hockey.

baitism
05-31-2013, 02:20 AM
DH is terrible strictly from a throwing at batters standpoint. That shit doesn't happen in the NL where you have to step into the box as well.

mdchiefsfan
05-31-2013, 03:27 AM

I don't think it gives the AL any kind of advantage. I would go so far as to say that the NL is the one who has an advantage.

In interleague play the NL pitchers wither get the status quo and bat like usual or they send a backup to the plate as a DH.

AL pitchers aren't used to hitting at all. So when interleague play comes around they are out of their element and a team that is used to having a DH spot is now leaning on a pitcher.

I guess what I am saying is it is much easier for a man on your bench to come in and bat than it is for you pitcher to quickly adapt to batting/bunting and pitching when he isn't used to it.

griZZly64
05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
I don't think it gives the AL any kind of advantage. I would go so far as to say that the NL is the one who has an advantage.

In interleague play the NL pitchers wither get the status quo and bat like usual or they send a backup to the plate as a DH.

AL pitchers aren't used to hitting at all. So when interleague play comes around they are out of their element and a team that is used to having a DH spot is now leaning on a pitcher.

I guess what I am saying is it is much easier for a man on your bench to come in and bat than it is for you pitcher to quickly adapt to batting/bunting and pitching when he isn't used to it.

its only 18 gms.. the other 144 games AL has the advantage

BigMeatballDave
05-31-2013, 04:01 AM
I'd bet that if there were any change to the DH rule, it would be the NL using a DH.

mdchiefsfan
05-31-2013, 04:21 AM
its only 18 gms.. the other 144 games AL has the advantage

AL has an advantage, how?

BigMeatballDave
05-31-2013, 04:37 AM
AL has an advantage, how?

The way I see it, the AL only has the advantage when the NL is in an AL park.

And even then, only slightly since the NL is also using the DH.

Gravedigger
05-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Hard to beat the tuck rule, but I'd say holding being a 10 yard penalty, or moving kickers up five yards to negate most kickoff returns is terrible as well.

Nzoner
05-31-2013, 05:10 AM

They've changed the rule. There will now be a review in that situation.

Yeah that was BS rule,thankfully it's gone.

BigMeatballDave
05-31-2013, 05:13 AM
An NFL rule I'm glad was changed was the pushout. Hated that fucking rule.

mdchiefsfan
05-31-2013, 05:16 AM
The way I see it, the AL only has the advantage when the NL is in an AL park.

And even then, only slightly since the NL is also using the DH.

I agree and I think the NL has the advantage in an NL park, making it pretty much even.

I could see if the home field advantage for the World Series depended on the teams' record, where runs scored could have an effect, if both teams were tied, but it depends on the winner of the ASG, so I still fail to see the issue.

Ace Gunner
05-31-2013, 06:51 AM
The Goodell crookery that is:

Ejection Penalty; hitting a defenseless receiver

Definition of a Defenseless Player

The following is taken from the 2011 NFL Rule Book (pages 73-74) and defines players who are in a defenseless posture. The material is also covered in the 2011 League Policies for Players Manual, distributed to all players in training camp.

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;

(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;

(5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;

(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;

(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and

(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/12/27/definition-of-a-defenseless-player/

Do you have a clear definitive explanation now? This rule gives refs the authority to eject any player on the field for contact during regulation play.

"unnecessary contact" is nearly impossible until after the play is whistled dead in my book. Players too stupid to protect themselves on the football field need to suffer the consequence of their stupidity.

The murky line drawn by Goodell & his money grabbers between what is a routine football tackle and what is considered an act of "unnecessary roughness, resulting in player ejection" is very subjective and will soon sway the outcome of a championship.

The NFL has taken the game from its players and given it to the refs. Great for the owner$, great for Vega$, it is a move motivated by profit.

What used to be an all out strategic war of men between the hash marks until the whistle blows has been dumbed down to controlled exhibition. Hardly worth my $200 to watch that weak sauce. Stupid game now, stupid league.

Can't wait to see what happens when ****tard america brings "player safety" to pro boxing.

Always hated the DH rule.

Dayze
05-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Defensive PI; and Holding.

I have no idea which is what anymore.

and basically the hitting rules in the NFL; QBs are untouchable. really if you think about it, the NFL has been pussified substantially.

Dayze
05-31-2013, 07:10 AM
I can't stand that QBs can spike the ball to stop the clock.

durtyrute
05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't like it that the Qbs can wait till the clock goes to :00 to hike the ball. I've seen that shit in just about every game. If I can see :00 on the clock then it is delay of game.

But the WORST rule is the tuck rule

Rams Fan
05-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Not calling a game due to a second rain delay, thus resulting a 4 hour + plus delay even though the umps wanted to call the game.

Go fuck yourself, Bud Selig.

chiefzilla1501
05-31-2013, 07:16 AM
I can't stand that QBs can spike the ball to stop the clock.

For that matter, only players on the field should be allowed to call timeout, and the timeout should be assessed as soon as it's called. None of this bullshit where an NFL coach can whisper to the ref to call a timeout right before the clock hits zero.

Stewie
05-31-2013, 07:21 AM
For all the DH haters it's coming to the National League. According to Jayson Stark it could happen as early as 2014, but more likely 2015. With so much inter-league play now and the push from the player's union it's going to happen.

Dayze
05-31-2013, 07:30 AM
For that matter, only players on the field should be allowed to call timeout, and the timeout should be assessed as soon as it's called. None of this bullshit where an NFL coach can whisper to the ref to call a timeout right before the clock hits zero.

this too.

Old Dog
05-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Hitting a ball out of bounds costing me penalty strokes in golf. Where the game originated you couldn't drive the ball OOB without putting it in a taxi cab.

Molitoth
05-31-2013, 07:46 AM
The worst thing in sports is No instant reply in some situations, causing for drastic change in outcomes when everybody knows it shouldn't have been.

We have the technology now days to insert instant reply everywhere, and/or have officials calling things from the booth or a digital scoreboard.
There is no need for officials to be on the field anymore trying to call things in real time. Technology has caught up so much that there wouldn't even delay the game.

A Salt Weapon
05-31-2013, 08:22 AM

:thumb:

Dayze
05-31-2013, 08:26 AM

ie See the Trent Green hit by Gaither.

if that shit was done to Manning or Brady dude would've been suspended.

loochy
05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
1.) The stupid new kickoff rules in the NFL suck the fun out of a potentially exciting event

2.) I really hate the "changing" rules in the NBA depending on player or what time of the game it is. Why is something a foul in the first quarter not a foul in the last seconds. That makes no sense. A foul is a foul.

Mama Hip Rockets
05-31-2013, 08:32 AM
All the foul rules in basketball. I hate how a guy can just stand there and get run over and have a foul called him, or vice versa. The refs are totally inconsistent on how they call it. Fouls, in general, are just called way too frequently. It slows the game down to the point of making it unwatchable for me.

Dayze
05-31-2013, 08:33 AM
good point on kickoffs.

the fact that kickers can kick the ball 10 yards past the endzone 90% of the time drives me nuts.

Just start at the 20 FFS at that point.

LoneWolf
05-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Only idiots walk the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher, BTW. Rolling the lineup over is a moronic tactical decision.

Runners on second and third, two outs, bottom of fifth inning, and a one run game. 8th batter in the order at the plate hitting .260 with 5 HR and 30 RBIs with a pitcher on deck hitting .100 with 0 HR and 0 RBI. I'm walking the 8th batter and pitching to the pitcher every time. You can call that idiotic, but I call it good strategy.

MahiMike
05-31-2013, 08:41 AM
This one is easy!

It HAS to be the idiotic offsides rule in soccer. If they eliminated that rule, you would see 10-7 games instead of 0-0. Americans would embrace soccer.

lcarus
05-31-2013, 08:41 AM
Ties in any sport. You win or you lose. If some team can't manage to win in OT then both teams deserve to lose.

Or they deserve to keep playing until someone wins the damn game.

Chiefnj2
05-31-2013, 08:43 AM
The rule that allows the Hunt family to own an NFL franchise is pretty depressing.

lcarus
1.) The stupid new kickoff rules in the NFL suck the fun out of a potentially exciting event

2.) I really hate the "changing" rules in the NBA depending on player or what time of the game it is. Why is something a foul in the first quarter not a foul in the last seconds. That makes no sense. A foul is a foul.

There's a lot of inconsistencies in basketball. Especially the NBA. Stars get calls that scrubs don't get. I've seen so many "and 1s" where the scorer wasn't even touched.

ptlyon
I personally hate the unwritten rules that the chiefs can't draft a QB in the 1 st round or be allowed to go to the super bowl ever again.

ptlyon
05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
This one is easy!

It HAS to be the idiotic offsides rule in soccer. If they eliminated that rule, you would see 10-7 games instead of 0-0. Americans would embrace soccer.

We're talking about sports here

WhawhaWhat
05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
The Lions and Cowboys playing every Thanksgiving. Although I guess the alternative is the Patriots and Giants every year if the networks get to choose.

ptlyon
05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
The Lions and Cowboys playing every Thanksgiving. Although I guess the alternative is the Patriots and Giants every year if the networks get to choose.

I think it would be an Eli in the morning, Peyton in the afternoon format myself

loochy
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
This one is easy!

It's not idiotic at all. It's the reason the game has a flow and pace. Without it, it would be a game of longball kickball.

MahiMike
05-31-2013, 08:51 AM
It's not idiotic at all. It's the reason the game has a flow and pace. Without it, it would be a game of longball kickball.

I don't think so. Without offsides, it'd me more like basketball. More fast breaks and exciting plays. As it is, soccer is a jumbled, unorganized mess.

lcarus
05-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Still bummed about the lowering the head rule.

If this one gets enforced enough, this will probably shoot up to #1 for me. Just mindlessly stupid.

lcarus
05-31-2013, 08:53 AM

The refs don't want to potentially have a team lose due to a questionable ticky tack call. I suggest they just STOP CALLIGN TICKY TACK FOULS THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME. Let the fuckers play.

loochy
05-31-2013, 08:55 AM
I don't think so. Without offsides, it'd me more like basketball. More fast breaks and exciting plays. As it is, soccer is a jumbled, unorganized mess.

It's VERY organized. I think you don't realize this because of the way TV shows the field - it only shows a small portion. It's kind of like how in football they don't show everything and you really lose a lot of the nuts and bolts of the game by just ball watching.

Besides, the rule will NEVER change because the offsides rule is central to the way the full sized outdoor game is played.

They have fast exciting soccer that scores lots of goals - it's called indoor and it's not really very popular.

loochy
05-31-2013, 08:55 AM
The refs don't want to potentially have a team lose due to a questionable ticky tack call. I suggest they just STOP CALLIGN TICKY TACK FOULS THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME. Let the fuckers play.

Whatever way - just go with one way and be consistent.

morphius
05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
I'd be much happier with a hockey type of offsides than the current system, especially when the ball is in the box.

lcarus
05-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Whatever way - just go with one way and be consistent.

Agreed. They need to go one way - the "let them play way".

WhawhaWhat
05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
It's VERY organized. I think you don't realize this because of the way TV shows the field - it only shows a small portion. It's kind of like how in football they don't show everything and you really lose a lot of the nuts and bolts of the game by just ball watching.

Besides, the rule will NEVER change because the offsides rule is central to the way the full sized outdoor game is played.

They have fast exciting soccer that scores lots of goals - it's called indoor and it's not really very popular.

While we're at it, let's get rid of the offsides rule in football. Why can't the defenders line up wherever they want?

loochy
05-31-2013, 09:03 AM
While we're at it, let's get rid of the offsides rule in football. Why can't the defenders line up wherever they want?

it would make the game faster and we'd see more sacks

MahiMike
05-31-2013, 09:04 AM

I hear ya and understand your opinion. I know quite a bit about soccer. My son plays travel soccer, my in-laws play in Europe, etc. But to call it organized is just incorrect. Have you ever seen a player hold up 2 fingers as if to call a play in soccer? No, because there are no set plays. Thus, unorganized.

Now, you take away the off-sides and things change. Now you can deep kick to a 3 on 1 break and see some scoring.

The whole idea is moot because they will never change it. Just saying this rule is THE reason why soccer isn't popular in America.

Discuss Thrower
05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
I hear ya and understand your opinion. I know quite a bit about soccer. My son plays travel soccer, my in-laws play in Europe, etc. But to call it organized is just incorrect. Have you ever seen a player hold up 2 fingers as if to call a play in soccer? No, because there are no set plays. Thus, unorganized.

Now, you take away the off-sides and things change. Now you can deep kick to a 3 on 1 break and see some scoring.

The whole idea is moot because they will never change it. Just saying this rule is THE reason why soccer isn't popular in America.

Or the game devolves into a contest who can camp out at the opposing goal the best.

loochy
05-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Yes, actually quite often on a set piece (corner kick or free kick). Those are practiced quite often and they aren't just a mess of guys running at the goal. The players know where they are moving to ahead of time and the kick taker knows where he wants to put the ball. In high school we practiced this for 30 minutes every day.

Mahi, professional soccer is INCREDIBLY organized considering the constant flowing with no timeouts.

No, you'll see camping with lots of back and forth long balling.

Meh, I'm happy with the way things are.

Dayze
05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
finishing a race under caution in F1.

loochy
05-31-2013, 09:17 AM
finishing a race under caution in F1.

Yeah, that sucks. Give them a little bit under green to at least give an exciting finish.

Megbert
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
I hate when the offense is backed up to its goal line. 1st and 10 at the 2. First play offense is called for holding so they get backed up 1 yard (holding happened outside end zone) so now it's 2nd and 11. Why not move the First down marker out 10 yards to the 22 yard line? Thus penalizing the offense as if the penalty happened in th middle of the field.

Dayze
05-31-2013, 09:26 AM
I hate when the offense is backed up to its goal line. 1st and 10 at the 2. First play offense is called for holding so they get backed up 1 yard (holding happened outside end zone) so now it's 2nd and 11. Why not move the First down marker out 10 yards to the 22 yard line? Thus penalizing the offense as if the penalty happened in th middle of the field.

:hmmm:

mikeyis4dcats.
05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
that rule where the team that blocks a punt doesn't get to recover it that burned the Chiefs a couple of years ago against Indy.

morphius
05-31-2013, 09:32 AM
I can't come up with a very good argument against that.

ptlyon
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
:hmmm:

"As the chiefs line up, it'll now be 1 St & 60 from the chiefs 2"

Dayze
05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
LMAO

and they'll call a draw play.

mdchiefsfan
05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
LMAO

:LOL: they'll never see it coming

lcarus
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM

Hmm, that's a pretty good point. Since there really isn't a penalty in that situation (what...half a yard or half an inch?) assuming the holding is not in the end zone, why NOT move the sticks farther downfield? As it is now, you're better off just holding in that situation if you're a lineman about to get beat.

Demonpenz
05-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Handballs and fouls inside the box in soccer that are not called for PK's drive me batty. In general the officials that don't make correct calls because they want the "players to decide the game" make me batty. Call the game correct or make the rules state "In the event of a close fought game a ref shall not get involved the game even if there are rules violations".

Speed up baseball games. A Shot clock (pitch clock) for pitchers. I hate that relievers have warm up tosses when they come to the mound they should have the warmed up in the pen and be ready to go when they come in.

There are tons of them in football but I am not going into that. I think hockey fights and hockey goons are lame as well.

Backwards Masking
05-31-2013, 09:57 AM
The shady bounty shit in New Orleans is exactly why QB protections are in place. The Saints cheated by taking cheap shots at QBs. They succeeded in knocking Kurt Warner and Brett Favre out of critical playoff games. Quite possible they won the Minnesota game by cheating, because Favre didn't return for the critical last series of the game.

It's not cheating if the refs don't call it.

This post and the example that went with it is are just further proof that Roughing The Passer is the most biased call. Brees and Nowleans were the feel good story that year, Favre was the arrogant prima donna traitor of all arrogant prima donna traitors. The league knew they wouldn't sell nearly as much merchandise if an asshole won the SB, so they looked the other way when New Orleans defense raped him. The Saints didn't get to do that to Pey Pey the next game , but if they had played a random Browns or Chiefs QB the refs wouldve more or less said "Rape On!!!"

The league only wants to protect the likable QB's that sell the most merchandise, they couldn't care less about the safety of the nobodies and assholes, and that's bullshit

Dayze
05-31-2013, 10:32 AM
It's not cheating if the refs don't call it.

The league only wants to protect the likable QB's that sell the most merchandise, they couldn't care less about the safety of the nobodies and assholes, and that's bullshit

Yep
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/09/10/green.jpg

loochy
05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
LMAO

to mccluster no less

loochy
05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Handballs and fouls inside the box in soccer that are not called for PK's drive me batty. In general the officials that don't make correct calls because they want the "players to decide the game" make me batty. Call the game correct or make the rules state "In the event of a close fought game a ref shall not get involved the game even if there are rules violations".

Yeah, that's the same argument that I have with basketball. WTF?! A foul is a foul!

Mr. Laz
05-31-2013, 11:01 AM
the offside in soccer and hockey

Discuss Thrower
05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
the offside in soccer and hockey

Hockey's offsides makes total sense.

WhawhaWhat
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Glad they got rid of the 2 line pass rule though.

milkman
06-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Speed up baseball games. A Shot clock (pitch clock) for pitchers. I hate that relievers have warm up tosses when they come to the mound they should have the warmed up in the pen and be ready to go when they come in.

I don't know about the most stupid rules, but I agree with this.

Which brings me to another couple of rules that need to be addressed.

Intentional walks.

Just tell the ump you intend to walk the batter and let the ump simply award him the base rather than waste the time to toss the 4 pitches.

And don't give me the old, "Well the pitcher might throw a wild pitch" argument.
How many times has anyone ever seen that?

In football, defensive holding should not be an automatic first down.

-King-
06-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Well damn. That's actually a pretty good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
i'm not a big hockey fan so i can't really argue the point.

just seems like defense is defense, why the rule?

should the NFL have a rule that says the WR's can't run past the DB until the ball is in the air?

cardken2
06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Being able to "knee" out the clock in football, you should have to put the ball in play. Make it a game, "kneeing" is a cop out.

-King-
06-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Being able to "knee" out the clock in football, you should have to put the ball in play. Make it a game, "kneeing" is a cop out.

The ball is in play.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discuss Thrower
06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
The point is to prevent cherry picking. Also, nhl's offside rule is pretty inflexible: don't have anything more than a skate on the oooosing sides blue line before the puck crosses first.

TrebMaxx
06-02-2013, 11:10 AM

:thumb: I was about post on the same rule. My thought was make it that if the ofense is backed up against the the goal line and would get half the distance from the goal then if the defense committed a penalty in the same area it would be half the distance from the goal. I like your idea more.

Prison Bitch
06-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Stopped clock after first downs in college. So damn stupid, these games shouldn't take 4 hours. If you really have 4 hours to kill watching college football than you should contemplate suicide.

The passing games are too good now to stop clocks. When teams ran the wishbone , diff story.