PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Knile Davis to be the Chiefs kickoff returner this year?

Fat Elvis
05-31-2013, 10:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-rb-knile-davis-special-teams-042200757.html

The Kansas City Chiefs had one of the more eventful offseasons of any team in the NFL, revamping their entire front office and coaching staff, in addition to replacing many key positions on the field.

When the draft rolled around in April, however, several holes up and down Kansas City's depth chart still needed to be plugged. But using their second of two third-round picks on running back Knile Davis came as a shock to some.

The Chiefs had other positions of greater need at the time (inside linebacker, defensive line, safety and wide receiver) and could have gone many ways with that particular selection. Meanwhile, South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore was drafted in the fourth round by the San Francisco 49ers, 35 picks behind Davis.

The questions surrounding Lattimore had nothing to do with his talent, but rather his ability to return from a gruesome knee injury suffered last season (the second of his career). Davis, too, has a troublesome injury history, missing the entire 2011 season at Arkansas with a broken left ankle--while also being nagged by right ankle and collarbone injuries dating back to high school.

Still, the Chiefs considered Davis less of a gamble and a player that could contribute right away. But with Jamaal Charles entrenched as the team's top option out of the backfield, and both Shaun Draughn and Cyrus Gray returning this season, Davis will have to work his way up Kansas City's running back depth chart.

While he waits for his opportunity, however, Davis, for now, has been pegged as the team's top kick returner by special teams coach Dave Taub--though he had no experience on special teams in college.

Davis does come with upside, having rushed for 1,322 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010--surrounded by his injury-plagued 2011 season and less-than-stellar 2012 campaign, in which he was never able to exude the same type of burst he once did. But his combine results in February wowed team officials across the league, posting the best 40-yard time (4.37 seconds) and bench press total (31 reps) out of all running backs.

Using the combine to prove he is indeed an NFL-caliber running back and can handle the rigors of the professional game, Davis quelled a lot of the questions surrounding him at the time (via KCChiefs.com).

"That was my goal coming off that bad season," Davis said. "I needed something to kind of resurrect my career back to where it was. I think that definitely helped."

If not for his injury history, he might have found himself at the top of a very suspect running back class in this year's draft. Instead, the Chiefs had enough confidence in Davis' ability to use a day-two pick on the running back.

Davis has worked hard to get back to full strength; and the kind of straight-line speed and power that he exhibits would actually show well returning kicks. Assuming he shakes his ball security issues, he has a chance to become a key factor for Kansas City this season.

This could be interesting (or a disaster if he keeps fumbling), but imagine a 226lb bowling ball that runs a 4.37 40....

He wouldn't need to juke you, he could just flat out run past you or through you. With that kind of speed, all he would need is one seam and he is off to the races.

notorious
05-31-2013, 10:39 PM
He is not a power runner.

chiefs1111
05-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Better hang on to the damn ball

-King-
05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
No he's not. McCluster is the KR. Knile Davis will be one of the blockers on special teams.

And it's Toub, not Taub. Uninformed article is uninformed.

AussieChiefsFan
05-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Yeah, no. I'd expect McCluster to still have the PR/KR job. I'd also expect for a guy like Wylie to get the job before Knile Davis does.

RunKC
05-31-2013, 10:52 PM
I'd rather have Knile Davis out there doing. He's got the speed to outrun people and is far more of an athlete than Dex.

Davis has fumble problems, but so does Dex. Why not let him have it? It's not like Dex has been very good at it in 3 years.

dannybcaitlyn
06-01-2013, 07:04 AM
I don't know about putting a guy who is known to fumble as a KR. Wouldn't mind see Wylie doing the duties.

Mr_Tomahawk
06-01-2013, 07:08 AM
I don't know about putting a guy who is known to fumble as a KR. Wouldn't mind see Wylie doing the duties.

This.

If he can stay healthy, I'd like to give Devon Wylie a few more tries. I saw some potential during preseason last year...

bevischief
06-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Can he survive the season doing it?

Jayhawk Chief
06-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Larry Johnson returned kicks his first year.

J Diddy
06-01-2013, 07:40 AM
I'd rather have Knile Davis out there doing. He's got the speed to outrun people and is far more of an athlete than Dex.

Davis has fumble problems, but so does Dex. Why not let him have it? It's not like Dex has been very good at it in 3 years.

Not anymore. He swore off fumbling.

-King-
06-01-2013, 07:42 AM

Lolwut?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dunerdr
06-01-2013, 08:13 AM
But dex is built like dante hall-truefan

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Not anymore. He swore off fumbling.

Chiefs | Knile Davis talks about fumble issues
Thu, 30 May 2013 08:48:57 -0700

Kansas City Chiefs RB Knile Davis said the fumble problems he displayed in his final season at Arkansas have been fixed. "I think I'll never fumble again," the 2013 third-round pick said. "I had two bad games last year where I fumbled a lot. It was just me not focusing on it."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs#ixzz2UyZwVjcV

MotherfuckerJones
06-01-2013, 08:49 AM
If his fumbling is fixed I'd like to see him do it. Good size and speed along with breaking tackles. DMC had none of that

notorious
06-01-2013, 10:06 AM
If his fumbling is fixed I'd like to see him do it. Good size and speed along with breaking tackles. DMC had none of that

I didn't see him break a lot of tackles at Arkansas. He reminds me of LJ his last year, run for a little, get hit and fall down at first contact.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Dex is going to cause foot in mouth syndrome this year

Pasta Little Brioni
06-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I didn't see him break a lot of tackles at Arkansas. He reminds me of LJ his last year, run for a little, get hit and fall down at first contact.

Does he have a fondness for running head first up the center's ass?

notorious
06-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Does he have a fondness for running head first up the center's ass?

I don't know if he swings that way or not. Maybe that is why he fumbles so many balls.

notorious
06-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Yep.

Clay is going to be placed on suicide watch.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't know if he swings that way or not. Maybe that is why he fumbles so many balls.

Just wonderin. If so, it just might summon that KCBroncohater dude that fawned over 2.7

notorious
06-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Just wonderin. If so, it just might summon that KCBroncohater dude that fawned over 2.7

I had forgotten about that guy. The sad part is that he wasn't trolling like LAChiefan, he truly believed what he posted.

He created an entirely new level of delusion.
LMAO

Hammock Parties
06-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Yep.

Clay is going to be placed on suicide watch.

This has been posted two offseasons prior, and each year I just laugh and wait for Dex to do nothing on the football field.

So it will be again this season.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-01-2013, 02:51 PM
This has been posted two offseasons prior, and each year I just laugh and wait for Dex to do nothing on the football field.

Said Midget...shall NOT rule.

MotherfuckerJones
06-01-2013, 03:01 PM

He can do it. May not break a lot but he can and he's a natural ball carrier and can make people miss unlike Dex who falls down at the site of contact

Pasta Little Brioni
06-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Eh, I was fishing TBH :evil:

New World Order
06-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Why not? Dex is built like Gumby and has problems holding onto the football.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-01-2013, 05:55 PM

And this year you will eat crow !

notorious
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
He can do it. May not break a lot but he can and he's a natural ball carrier and can make people miss unlike Dex who falls down at the site of contact

Here's to you being right.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/PrimitiveScrewhead1973/bestwaytodrinkguinness_zpsc5208f67.jpg

notorious
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Eh, I was fishing TBH :evil:

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2013, 08:37 PM
But I heard that Dex UNLOCKED HIS POTENTIAL as a KR?!?!?

notorious
06-01-2013, 08:57 PM

They are going to unlock the janitor's closet to grab a mop and bucket after he gets splattered while returning a kick.

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2013, 09:00 PM
They are going to unlock the janitor's closet to grab a mop and bucket after he gets splattered while returning a kick.

They're gonna make him clean up his own splatter?!?

notorious
06-01-2013, 09:01 PM
They're gonna make him clean up his own splatter?!?

LMAO

ChiefGator
06-02-2013, 05:47 AM

That was a terrible title. So, has he already unlocked all the potential he has? Of does he have 'unlocked potential' to tap into?