PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Williamson:Chiefs try to tackle position the right way

Tribal Warfare
06-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Chiefs try to tackle position the right way (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58729/chiefs-try-to-tackle-position-the-right-way)

When he was considering how to use the No. 1 overall pick in April's NFL draft, new Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey was not worried about age-old conventions.

He was looking for the best player available, NFL principles be damned. After the Chiefs took Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher and did not trade left tackle Branden Albert to Miami during draft week, they quickly announced that Fisher would play right tackle. There was some scoffing. Using the top pick on a right tackle?

“I wasn’t going to be pigeonholed by the way things used to be or are expected to be,” Dorsey said. “My goal is to put the five best linemen on the field that we can. Having Eric Fisher and Branden Albert on the field together helps us achieve that. We want big, fast guys who can help keep our quarterback upright and move well in the running game. That’s what we want in our right tackle, and we think Eric gives us that.”

Traditionally, teams have used premium picks on left tackles because of their athleticism and their blindside protection of quarterbacks. Right tackles were considered less important and less athletic. Those road-grading days may be over. Teams are burying the old thinking about right tackles and adjusting as the game becomes faster and more athletic.

“The line between left and right tackle is more blurry than it ever has been,” ESPN analyst Matt Williamson said. “You don’t have to have a big, fat masher on the right side anymore. The league is changing. … So I totally understand the pick of Fisher and the plan to keep Albert and put Fisher on the right side. The league is going that way.”

The Chiefs weren’t alone in using a top pick on a player who will start his career at right tackle. Jacksonville took Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel at No. 2, and Philadelphia took Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson at No. 4. They, too, are expected to start their NFL careers on the right side. The idea of three of the first four picks' being taken to play right tackle would have knocked old-school general managers off their chairs 10 years ago.

“The game is changing. It has changed in the past 10 years, last five years, and in the past two years,” Dorsey said. “You have to roll with it and make a decision that best fits your team.”

Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. didn’t blink when the Chiefs took Fisher to make him a right tackle, at least for the time being. Teams are using more spread offenses and are moving toward a faster-paced passing game -- hence the need for more athletic players on the offensive line. The Chiefs recently hired Chris Ault, the Pistol offense innovator, as a consultant. The team plans to use some Pistol with quarterback Alex Smith, who is known for his mobility. Thus, Fisher -- who soared up draft boards because of his great athleticism -- is a good fit for Andy Reid’s offense.

“These days with the way offense is going, you see more and more offenses wanting two athletic, bookend tackles that can push outside and block on the run,” Horton said. “You don’t see too many 270-pound tight ends helping the right tackle in pass protection much anymore. And in the running game, teams are looking to go outside the tackle so often. So I see the change at right tackle. I was really impressed by what the Chiefs did. I really like the Albert-Fisher combination.”

So do the Chiefs. They considered trading Albert to Miami during the draft, but now want to strike a long-term deal with him. Albert is interested in staying in Kansas City, too. If they can agree, Fisher will probably stay at right tackle. If not, and Albert leaves as a free agent, Fisher will probably move over to left tackle.

For now, Fisher is on the right side -- he did play some right tackle early in his college career -- and said he feels good about it.

“I’m just trying to play offensive line,” Fisher told reporters in Kansas City recently. “I really love everything that comes along with it -- it’s a different territory in there. I’m really liking it. It’s a very similar system to what I ran in college, so like I said, I’m picking it up pretty well.”

The man Fisher is blocking for isn’t worried about his adjusting to the right side. Smith, acquired in a trade with San Francisco this year, is just happy the team used the No. 1 pick for more protection, regardless of where Fisher plays.

“I think a lot gets made up about the one tackle -- left tackle -- these days,” Smith recently told reporters in Kansas City. “You have to have all the spots. You have to have both guys. … For a quarterback, those guys are your best friends.”

Luckily for Smith, the Chiefs believe he needs two best friends.

DaFace
06-01-2013, 11:50 PM
It's definitely exciting to think we might have a really solid line again soon. I still question the value of the pick, but if it helps Jamal run his ass off and Alex not, it can't be a bad thing.

TribalElder
06-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I hope he pancakes people while playing RT. The one lingering question I have is what is wrong with Eric Winston. Besides being an idiot and running his mouth he must have some kind of undisclosed issues. Many teams looked and passed. Was there ever any word on what the problem was with lispy lips?

bevischief
06-01-2013, 11:57 PM
More crap from the Star and I am still waiting to show me wins at this point. Till then I am not buying this crap.

bevischief
06-01-2013, 11:59 PM
I hope he pancakes people while playing RT. The one lingering question I have is what is wrong with Eric Winston. Besides being an idiot and running his mouth he must have some kind of undisclosed issues. Many teams looked and passed. Was there ever any word on what the problem was with lispy lips?

Would be nice to know but no one else has signed him so that makes me go mmmmmmm.

Fat Elvis
06-02-2013, 12:21 AM
More crap from the Star and I am still waiting to show me wins at this point. Till then I am not buying this crap.

You do realize that the article is from ESPN don't you?

Dante84
06-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Espn, playa

mikey23545
06-02-2013, 12:44 AM

You do realize the season hasn't started yet, right?

Dunerdr
06-02-2013, 12:52 AM

He obviously meant the starsat espn!

aturnis
06-02-2013, 12:56 AM

He fucking sucks at football, that's what. He gives up an average of 6 sacks per year. He's no gladiator.

ChiefGator
06-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Chiefs try to tackle position the right way (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58729/chiefs-try-to-tackle-position-the-right-way)

The Chiefs weren’t alone in using a top pick on a player who will start his career at right tackle. Jacksonville took Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel at No. 2, and Philadelphia took Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson at No. 4. They, too, are expected to start their NFL careers on the right side. The idea of three of the first four picks' being taken to play right tackle would have knocked old-school general managers off their chairs 10 years ago.

No! It can't be... I thought the Chiefs were the dumbest team in the league and two of the next three teams did the same thing in this draft? Hmm....

ChiefGator
06-02-2013, 05:54 AM
He's no gladiator.

That you would even make the comparison between him and a gladiator disthgusths Winston.

Apparently his play disthgusths most teams in the league though.

BlackHelicopters
06-02-2013, 07:52 AM
What is wrong with Winston? His mouth is round.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
06-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Uric Fisha

Marcellus
06-02-2013, 09:02 AM

So aside from the obvious wrong in this post, why are you on a Chiefs message board in the off-season reading (or probably not reading) articles about the Chiefs?

And you are STILL waiting on Andy Reid and John Dorsey to show you wins? The guys hired a few months ago?

While most of this off-season stuff is fluff I find it interesting to see what Dorsey and Reid have to say about things s they are both new in KC.

Pioli and company wouldn't let a fart out of Arrowhead and now nobody appreciates anything written about the team.

I also found the part about 2 other OT taken high are likely going to start at RT, I didn't know Joeckel was going to play RT.

jAZ
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Everything brilliant about the CP draft commentary neatly rolled into 25 words. Full of win.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2013, 09:50 AM
The Chiefs weren’t alone in using a top pick on a player who will start his career at right tackle. Jacksonville took Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel at No. 2, and Philadelphia took Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson at No. 4. They, too, are expected to start their NFL careers on the right side.
switching sides is going to ruin their careers!/CPdumbass

Cmd'r&Chief
06-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Are we all neglecting to remember and read the latter part of this story? The initial hope was to trade Albert. They will put him on the left side this last year only , for 2 reasons. Because Albert is a whiney pussy. And because it will increase his trade value next year, as long as he doesn't get injured.

jAZ
06-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Are we all neglecting to remember and read the latter part of this story? The initial hope was to trade Albert. They will put him on the left side this last year only , for 2 reasons. Because Albert is a whiney pussy. And because it will increase his trade value next year, as long as he doesn't get injured.

And give them a year to figure out the replacement player on the right if they end up going that route.

BossChief
06-02-2013, 11:11 AM
3 of the NFLs stupidest teams over the last 5 years each spent top 5 picks on right tackles in the draft and that is supposed to validate those decisions?

Ok

BossChief
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Hahahahaha

If Albert doesn't sign an extension, he will be an unrestricted free agent next year. This season he turns 29 and next season he turns 30.

Who is gonna trade a pick higher than a third (what we get as a comp pick if he walks in free agency after this year) for a 30 year old (in football terms) left tackle?

Answer: nobody

Plus, the franchise tag will most likely be used on Justin Houston
After this season.

ChiefsCountry
06-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Sure would be nice to have this read quarterback instead of tackle. Only the fucking Chiefs.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
06-02-2013, 11:34 AM
It's the creepy A.S. mushtache signature again. The Cat from Red Dwarf wants to know if Alex is a persian or a calico.

SAUTO
06-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Where did you read any of that?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Hahahahaha

If Albert doesn't sign an extension, he will be an unrestricted free agent next year. This season he turns 29 and next season he turns 30.

Who is gonna trade a pick higher than a third (what we get as a comp pick if he walks in free agency after this year) for a 30 year old (in football terms) left tackle?

Answer: nobody

Plus, the franchise tag will most likely be used on Justin Houston
After this season. isn't Houston under contract next year?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Yep we have him through next year.

Signed a four year deal
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
06-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Don't care it still sucks balls. So biteme.

bevischief
06-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Espn, playa

bevischief
06-02-2013, 12:30 PM
You do realize the season hasn't started yet, right?

4321 Jack@@@

O.city
06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Just sign Albert and forget about the tackle spot for the next 5 years. We've got bigger fish to fry

Mr. Laz
06-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Just sign Albert and forget about the tackle spot for the next 5 years. We've got bigger fish to fry
if it was that easy Albert would of signed already.

2 different GM's and still not signed

there must be an issue ... either Albert's back really is a problem or Albert is asking for something that the Chiefs don't really want to give.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Mmm...the sweet taste of overjustification...:drool: