PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Synthetic Oil, Regular Oil, and Switching

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Quick question:

I found 5 quarts of synthetic Castrol on clearance for 10 bucks. There are a couple of jugs of it available. I've always used regular in my vehicle. Could I switch back to regular in the future without issues with wear and/or leakage?

Thanks.

ptlyon
06-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Motor oil is motor oil

CoMoChief
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
yes you can switch

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2013, 10:39 AM
I was almost certain of this, then heard someone say otherwise, wanted to scream bullshit, but figured I'd make absolutely sure.

Frosty
06-03-2013, 10:45 AM
When synthetics first came out, there was an occasional problem with high mileage cars where some of the seals would fail if you switched to synthetic. That isn't a problem anymore, so stock up.

ModSocks
06-03-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the main issue is (and i am not sure if this is still applicable or not) that Synthetic oil has/had detergents in it, so when used in a high mileage car it would end up cleaning up some of the sludge. When the sludge was cleaned up, it would cause leaks from old worn out seals that the sludge had basically kept from leaking.

Maybe Frosty is right and Detergents have been removed, idk.

stonedstooge
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Mix a little antifreeze in with it and you'll be fine

Frosty
06-03-2013, 11:11 AM
If you switch to synthetic in a high mileage car (100K+ miles), it may not be a bad idea to do a oil change a little sooner than usual in case the synthetic breaks loose some crud in your engine that plugs the filter. After that, you should be fine.

This is probably the best site out there to learn about oil and other automotive fluids:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

WV
06-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I switched to synthetic hoping for better MPG and it didn't do a thing. Can't say I won't keep using it though.

KC native
06-03-2013, 11:42 AM
I switched to synthetic hoping for better MPG and it didn't do a thing. Can't say I won't keep using it though.

All depends on the motor. Synthetics are good for some motors and for some it doesn't make a difference.

Demonpenz
06-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I put a gator net on my truck and removed the lawnmower from the back and my mpg went up a bit.

OldNewb
06-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I've used both...on a range of vehicles with varying mileage. Synth will get you an extra 1000 miles between changes. But, it's more expensive than reg. A matter of personal preference when all said and done. Reg-every 3000-4000 miles vs Synth every 4000 miles. Be religious about your air filter changes too. I own a 96' Dodge Ram pickup and recently had to pull the left cylinder head off to replace an exhaust valve. I changed the reg oil every 3000 and the cylinder bore still showed good cross-hatching.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Had to share this. Too damned funny:

Im changing the oil on my sisters 2007 Toyota highlander, i was under the thing for a good 20 min looking for the oil filter..i swear to god you have to have slant eyes to work on the thing. who ever put the oil filter where it is now should have their nuts nailed to a stump and pushed over backwards..i had to Google it just to find the f*cker. and now that i found it idk how the hell im going to get to it...japcrap..screw Toyota buy a Chevy

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_oil_filter_located_on_a_Toyota_Highlander

penguinz
06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I've used both...on a range of vehicles with varying mileage. Synth will get you an extra 1000 miles between changes. But, it's more expensive than reg. A matter of personal preference when all said and done. Reg-every 3000-4000 miles vs Synth every 4000 miles. Be religious about your air filter changes too. I own a 96' Dodge Ram pickup and recently had to pull the left cylinder head off to replace an exhaust valve. I changed the reg oil every 3000 and the cylinder bore still showed good cross-hatching.You change your oil way too much. Even the low mileage rated synths you should get 5-6K out of. More important to use a quality filter. Not a FRAM.

HemiEd
06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes you can switch back, but I don't know why anyone ever would.

The synthetic does NOT break down with heat and you can safely go 5k between changes, and many go even farther. Not breaking down with heat is a big deal with these new cars, as most have a hot thermostat to help with the emissions.

I have always been that guy that changed every 3k, so this has been hard for me to wait, and I have even changed the synthetic many times at 3k. I still do every spring and fall, as I don't want the corrosives sitting in the oil pan.

You can go to Walmart any day of the week and buy a 5qt. jug of Mobil One for about $25.

BroncoDork
06-03-2013, 03:06 PM
The beauty of synthetic is cold starts. Like 0 degrees F and lower. I like the synthetic gear oil in my differentials, transfer case and trans also. Huge difference getting the truck going on below zero days. Amsoil, baby. Get it.

SAUTO
06-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Had to share this. Too damned funny:

Im changing the oil on my sisters 2007 Toyota highlander, i was under the thing for a good 20 min looking for the oil filter..i swear to god you have to have slant eyes to work on the thing. who ever put the oil filter where it is now should have their nuts nailed to a stump and pushed over backwards..i had to Google it just to find the f*cker. and now that i found it idk how the hell im going to get to it...japcrap..screw Toyota buy a Chevy

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_oil_filter_located_on_a_Toyota_Highlander I agree with this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
06-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes you can switch back, but I don't know why anyone ever would.

The synthetic does NOT break down with heat and you can safely go 5k between changes, and many go even farther. Not breaking down with heat is a big deal with these new cars, as most have a hot thermostat to help with the emissions.

I have always been that guy that changed every 3k, so this has been hard for me to wait, and I have even changed the synthetic many times at 3k. I still do every spring and fall, as I don't want the corrosives sitting in the oil pan.

You can go to Walmart any day of the week and buy a 5qt. jug of Mobil One for about $25.

Is it truly necessary to change oil every 3000 ? I'm one of those skeptics that think its a scam to make more money for auto shops.

BroncoDork
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
You change your oil way too much. Even the low mileage rated synths you should get 5-6K out of. More important to use a quality filter. Not a FRAM.

Chickenshit that I am I'm gonna replace the engine oil filter every 5000 miles, but keep the Amsoil in for 1 year or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. It's so easy on these new Tacoma V6's to replace the oil filter I figure why not for $5 every 5000 miles.

Fish
06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Is it truly necessary to change oil every 3000 ? I'm one of those skeptics that think its a scam to make more money for auto shops.

It wildly varies depending on the car. The only real reason to change the oil, is because the oil gets dirty. So it depends on how tight your seals are, how much dust and dirt you expose your car to and how much gets into the engine, how clean your engine burns, type of gas, etc. Which is completely different from car to car.

Frosty
06-03-2013, 03:50 PM
It wildly varies depending on the car. The only real reason to change the oil, is because the oil gets dirty. So it depends on how tight your seals are, how much dust and dirt you expose your car to and how much gets into the engine, how clean your engine burns, type of gas, etc. Which is completely different from car to car.

It also depends on the type of driving you do. If that 3000 miles is all in town, then I would definitely change it then. For highway driving, 3000 miles is way too soon.

KC native
06-03-2013, 03:53 PM

No it isn't. The 3k rule is outdated. Conventional oils can run 5-7k in some cars. Oil tech has come a long way in the last 20 years.

HemiEd
06-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Fossil Oil, yes I truly believe it. Especially since the oil filters have gotten so much smaller.
With a lot of people, the season change is a bigger issue with all the corrosives in the oil from the extreme temp change.

CoMoChief
06-03-2013, 03:57 PM
All my vehicles have had synthetic oil ran in them and I change my oil every 5000 miles. easy to remember that way.

HemiEd
06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
No it isn't. The 3k rule is outdated. Conventional oils can run 5-7k in some cars. Oil tech has come a long way in the last 20 years.

Yes it has, it has gotten worse for fossil oils due to EPA restrictions. The good shit is gone! :D
Another reason why I won't use anything but synthetic.
In town driving for 3k makes for some nasty looking and smelling oil, I can only imagine what double that would do.

J Diddy
06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay since we're on the subject of oil I have some questions myself. Last time I got it changed it was way low due to a leak, however since then it doesn't show that it's been leaking, but it still smells like it's burning oil when I come to a stop.

Any ideas?

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Chickenshit that I am I'm gonna replace the engine oil filter every 5000 miles, but keep the Amsoil in for 1 year or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. It's so easy on these new Tacoma V6's to replace the oil filter I figure why not for $5 every 5000 miles.

sounds like typical dumbass logic from a Bronco fan .

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Okay since we're on the subject of oil I have some questions myself. Last time I got it changed it was way low due to a leak, however since then it doesn't show that it's been leaking, but it still smells like it's burning oil when I come to a stop.

Any ideas?

Wear nose plugs. :thumb:

R8RFAN
06-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Todays engines don't need synthetic... Bone oil is fine if you change it regularly...

Exoter175
06-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I was almost certain of this, then heard someone say otherwise, wanted to scream bullshit, but figured I'd make absolutely sure.

The back and forth on whether you can go back was always a sales pitch more than anything.

I think the main issue is (and i am not sure if this is still applicable or not) that Synthetic oil has/had detergents in it, so when used in a high mileage car it would end up cleaning up some of the sludge. When the sludge was cleaned up, it would cause leaks from old worn out seals that the sludge had basically kept from leaking.

Maybe Frosty is right and Detergents have been removed, idk.

That's one part of the equation, break down, true viscosity, clearances, and contaminants come into a bigger issue.

Mix a little antifreeze in with it and you'll be fine

Hell no.

Never switch motor oils for MPG's, if you did, you are a sucker. Unless you're comparing the difference between a 20 weight and a 50 weight oil, which even then is so miniscule it won't matter; avoid trying to get MPG out of an oil change.

You could inflate your tires 5 more lbs, or switch to a narrower tire, and get better MPG's than an oil change. Better yet, change your air filter, do a tune up, and enjoy great MPG's.

You change your oil way too much. Even the low mileage rated synths you should get 5-6K out of. More important to use a quality filter. Not a FRAM.

I agree with you on the filter part, but there is NOTHING WRONG with changing your oil before it "needs" to be done.

It largely depends on how you drive, the clearances of your motor, and your environment. Not whether or not you can go X miles.

As an example, from KC, did a lot of Drag Racing, Auto-X, and Street Racing. I'd change my oil after every Auto-X, every day at the drag strip, and every 2500 miles in between those if I were out street racing during that month or what have you.

I drive my car hard enough to where I want CLEAN, FRESH oil in my car on the daily. I'm not willing to chance thousands of dollars in repairs on a simple oil change.

The beauty of synthetic is cold starts. Like 0 degrees F and lower. I like the synthetic gear oil in my differentials, transfer case and trans also. Huge difference getting the truck going on below zero days. Amsoil, baby. Get it.

That isn't the beauty of synthetic at all. That's the beauty of weight and viscosity that keeps your engine safer on cold starts.

You know what hasn't come a long way in 20 years? The way we drive our cars.

A prius driver might get 10K miles in between oil changes doing his "Green" thing. A Mercedes might get 15k because it uses the most scientifically over engineered oil on the planet, with a green conscious driver behind the wheel.

But you give a kid a Mustang for a weekend, and you're changing your oil every 3k miles.

Know why? Its all about how you drive the car and the heat and duty it receives.

I could drive my mustang 5k miles on a synthetic oil and not have an issue.

However, I won't be able to get "into" it and have fun with the car, having the expectation to last 5k miles on a change. Knowing what I know about contaminants in your oil and what it can do, hell no.

I'll stick with every 3k miles, Amsoil, Mobil, or otherwise.

Any ideas?

Its entirely possible that you used a different weight/viscosity and it can no longer seep out. The old oil, however, is probably going to make itself to the back of the motor, closer to the cabin, and drip down onto the pavement, or perhaps in this case, your exhaust manifolds, H pipes, X pipes, or what have you. It doesn't exactly dry up over night, some oil can puddle up indefinitely and just slowly burn off giving you that smell.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-03-2013, 05:00 PM
1) I bought synthetic b/c a 5 quart jug was on clearance for 10 bucks.
2) Mentioned it to the wife who said her mom's mechanic said you have to stay with synthetic.
3) I replied, "that sounds like horseshit"
4) Sought advice of Planet to be absolutely sure.

I don't really care what type of oil is in the car as long as it is clean. I'm a cheap bastard.

Donger
06-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I run synthetic in both my cars and change it every 7,500 to 10,000. The 3,000 mile rule is just salesmanship, like visiting the dentist every six months.

R8RFAN
06-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I run synthetic in both my cars and change it every 7,500 to 10,000. The 3,000 mile rule is just salesmanship, like visiting the dentist every six months.

5000-6000 is fine for regular bone oil.. Check the manual, some Toyota engines recommend 7500

Bwana
06-03-2013, 05:19 PM
2) Mentioned it to the wife who said her mom's mechanic said you have to stay with synthetic.

I don't really care what type of oil is in the car as long as it is clean. I'm a cheap bastard.

You're right, that is complete horseshit. I fear her mom's mechanic is hitting the crack pipe.

Ace Gunner
06-03-2013, 05:21 PM

it's much more important to change out the oil when it begins breaking down than it is to use top dollar brands & types.

I use synthetic oil because it does last longer before it breaks down and I hate handing over $50 for an oil change. I am a cheap fuck as well. I even change mine out during times I am set to handle it.

Bwana
06-03-2013, 05:24 PM
5000-6000 is fine for regular bone oil.. Check the manual, some Toyota engines recommend 7500

Yeah, it all depends on what kind of driving a person is doing as well. If a guy is going up and down the highway it's one thing, but is a guy is playing Bo Duke up and down dirt roads a lot, obviously one is going to have to dump their oil more often.

R8RFAN
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it all depends on what kind of driving a person is doing as well. If a guy is going up and down the highway it's one thing, but is a guy is playing Bo Duke up and down dirt roads a lot, obviously one is going to have to dump their oil more often.

Or Towing alot :thumb:

RNR
06-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Taking dental advise from a Brit :spock:

Bwana
06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Or Towing alot :thumb:

Yeah, that will do it as well.

SAUTO
06-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Any ideas? you or someone probably left the cap off an overhead cam motor and it got all over the exhaust manifold most likely.

A leak wouldn't fix itself. And it could take quite a while for the smell to go away
Posted via Mobile Device

Exoter175
06-03-2013, 07:41 PM

That's me!!!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: