PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs List the current NFL coaches that are better than Andy Reid

Titty Meat
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think we can say we have a top 10 coach. Havent been able to say that since Marty.

In no particular order here are the guys who are better head coaches than Reid:

John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
B.B.

I would probably put Reid behind those guys.

Rasputin
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Mike Mccarthy

ptlyon
06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Anyone who had won the SB

Marcellus
06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Anyone who had won the SB

That's a pretty small list.

L.A. Chieffan
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Pretty much Belichek and maybe one of the Harbaughs...thats about it

Deberg_1990
06-05-2013, 10:27 AM
John Fox?
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
06-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I know this is probably not a popular position, but I think Pete Carroll is a fantastic coach. He took a relatively unpopular team that existed on nobody's radar and turned them into a loaded powerhouse. Even before Russell Wilson, I thought most of his moves have been really smart.

Titty Meat
06-05-2013, 10:29 AM
I know this is probably not a popular position, but I think Pete Carroll is a fantastic coach. He took a relatively unpopular team that existed on nobody's radar and turned them into a loaded powerhouse. Even before Russell Wilson, I thought most of his moves have been really smart.

He's on the list of guys I would say you could debate might be better.

Caroll, Mccarthy, Tomlin, Shannahan, and Fisher.

Simply Red
06-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Reid is somewhat overrated - let's face it.

saphojunkie
06-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Reid is somewhat overrated - let's face it.

Weid is overweighted.

keg in kc
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
In no particular order, coaches I'd put above Reid:

Bill Belichick
Pete Carroll
Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthey
Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin

Roughly on par:
Jeff Fisher
John Fox
Jason Garrett
Marvin Lewis
Chuck Pagano (could move up the list)
Rex Ryan

There aren't many I'd put below him:
Dennis Allen
Leslie Frazier
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin
Ron Rivera
Greg Schiano
Jim Schwartz

One thing that skews the list is the number of new coaches, who are impossible to rank at this point:
Bruce Arians
Gus Bradley
Rob Chudzinski
Chip Kelley
Doug Marrone
Mike McCoy
Marc Trestman

chiefzilla1501
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Agree with the list. Think you could easily put Mccarthy and Carroll in there, as we saw above. And even if mike Tomlin benefits from great personnel, his playoff and a
superbowl track record put him in the conversation too.

That being said, he still has a ton to prove.

AdumbGuy
06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Loved Marty in his time, but Vermeil was no joke either.

would put Tomlin and McCarthy up there too.

Rasputin
06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Agree with the list. Think you could easily put Mccarthy and Carroll in there, as we saw above. And even if mike Tomlin benefits from great personnel, his playoff and a
superbowl track record put him in the conversation too.

That being said, he still has a ton to prove.

I think it's harder for Tomlin to get the credibility for winning the Super Bowl after taking over from Chin. I think he is still an outstanding coach as long as he got the players available. I think they have struck some injury hits to the roster that have held them back.

Messier
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Wherever you'd put Shanahan, that's where Id put Reid, I think they're on par.

Rausch
06-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Bill Belichick
Pete Carroll
Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthey
Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin

When you put guys who've never been to a SB over coaches that have I disagree.

Reid is the fucking Bill Cowher of the NFC. This guy was constantly making playoff games, and winning them, year after year.

FTR I'm not a fan. I don't like his philosophy and I don't like his coaching style.

That said he wins.

Consistently...

houstonwhodat
06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think we can say we have a top 10 coach. Havent been able to say that since Marty.

John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
B.B.

I think you got it.

BlackHelicopters
06-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Mike Tomlin.

Ace Gunner
06-05-2013, 11:07 AM
WELL GAAAAAWWWDDD --- EVERY COACH IS BETTER THAN THAT CHEESEBURGER ADDICT YOU MORONS -- AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH /cp elite

L.A. Chieffan
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Just make sure his blood sugar doesnt get too low by the fourth quarter and hes probably the best in the NFL

Ace Gunner
06-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Honestly, I do not know where Reid stacks up right now, but by default, he's among the top coaches in the league imo.

The impending season will answer this question for me and I did ask myself this question when Reid was hired here. The reason he is suspect in my mind is because the Eagles defense instantly fell several notches after DC Jim Johnson passed.

So, I'll hold on the default setting until I see otherwise. This season will reveal, from my view.

keg in kc
06-05-2013, 11:18 AM
When you put guys who've never been to a SB over coaches that have I disagree.

Reid is the ****ing Bill Cowher of the NFC. This guy was constantly making playoff games, and winning them, year after year.

FTR I'm not a fan. I don't like his philosophy and I don't like his coaching style.

That said he wins.

Consistently...You're talking about Reid like this is 2004. There's an old addage that the NFL is a bunch of teams that fall between 6-10 and 10-6, a few really bad teams and a few really good teams. Reid's Eagles have personified that middle-of-the-pack mediocrity for years. Two losing seasons (6-10 in '05, 4-12 in '12), two .500 seasons (2007, 2011), two 10-win seasons (2006, 2010) and one 11-win season (2009). Most worrisome to me is that ownership gave him literally everything he wanted in 2011 and 2012 and the team tanked. 12-20 with a roster that could've been built in Madden? That's pretty scary. And not in a good way.

vailpass
06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
You'll know more after this season.

Thig Lyfe
06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
ALL

RunKC
06-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Belichik
Harbaugh
Tomlin
Shannahan
McCarthy
Coughlin
Payton

I would consider Fisher and Fox to be at the same level, but I think Andy's style fits more with the way the NFL is played today.

John Fox is too conservative. We saw that in January.

Mr. Laz
06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
You're talking about Reid like this is 2004. There's an old addage that the NFL is a bunch of teams that fall between 6-10 and 10-6, a few really bad teams and a few really good teams. Reid's Eagles have personified that middle-of-the-pack mediocrity for years. Two losing seasons (6-10 in '05, 4-12 in '12), two .500 seasons (2007, 2011), two 10-win seasons (2006, 2010) and one 11-win season (2009). Most worrisome to me is that ownership gave him literally everything he wanted in 2011 and 2012 and the team tanked. 12-20 with a roster that could've been built in Madden? That's pretty scary. And not in a good way.
we will see ... but philly got worse as Reid gained more power. Many coaches are not suited to 'buy their own groceries'

hopefully going back to being primarily a HC(just a strong one) will help

ChiefMojo
06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I would probably put Reid in the top 10 range but right there with Shanahan, McCarthy, Fisher, Tomlin etc.

I have him a little ahead of the likes of Fox, Carroll, Kubiak, Smith, etc.

houstonwhodat
06-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Honestly, I do not know where Reid stacks up right now, but by default, he's among the top coaches in the league imo.

The impending season will answer this question for me and I did ask myself this question when Reid was hired here. The reason he is suspect in my mind is because the Eagles defense instantly fell several notches after DC Jim Johnson passed.

So, I'll hold on the default setting until I see otherwise. This season will reveal, from my view.

Has he ever really had a real quarterback?

I'm not sure if McNabb counts.

Cannibal
06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I think Reid has final call here too.

It's just a hunch, but I have a feeling Reid tells Dorsey what he wants and then Dorsey gets it. I don't think Dorsey is making all personnel decisions. Reid is letting Dorsey know which roster spots he wants improved and then letting Dorsey select the players.

Rausch
06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

:spock:

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/179/483121746_8303c4b41b.jpg

Mr. Laz
06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

It's just a hunch, but I have a feeling Reid tells Dorsey what he wants and then Dorsey gets it. I don't think Dorsey is making all personnel decisions. Reid is letting Dorsey know which roster spots he wants improved and then letting Dorsey select the players.
final call isn't the same as being a GM/HC imo

Cannibal
06-05-2013, 11:46 AM
final call isn't the same as being a GM/HC imo

I agree.

I think he's letting Dorsey make the picks. But he's telling Dorsey what he wants. That's just my opinion, I have no facts to back that up.

I think a set up like that could work too.

Beef Supreme
06-05-2013, 11:50 AM

I agree that Pete Carroll is doing a good job in Seattle, but I have a feeling they were much improved over the previous season because half the team is on steroids.

Ace Gunner
06-05-2013, 12:00 PM

McNabb was a nitwit, but Reid managed to make him look good after several seasons. Reid runs Bill Walsh's system perhaps the best of all those guys on Walsh's tree. Holmgren would be a close second.

I'm originally from NYC -- a Giants fan and I know Reid as well as any NFCE fan does. So, I don't have any question Reid is a great offensive coach. You folks are about to find out Reid is a clever OC with an arsenal of plays few coaches have ever employed.

It's his ability to HC a team with that kind of content on both offense and defense I call into question. We know this Chiefs defense, we should be able to judge this part of the equation by season's end.

Mr. Laz
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I agree that Pete Carroll is doing a good job in Seattle, but I have a feeling they were much improved over the previous season because half the team is on steroids.
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/files/2012/04/Signs-Point-to-Yes.jpg

RunKC
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM

I agree with this. I think Kelce was all Reid, but he knew him probably better than any coach in the NFL.

I think Reid is letting Dorsey choose the players for the most part though. I think he really trusts his evaluations.

Marcellus
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
You're talking about Reid like this is 2004. There's an old addage that the NFL is a bunch of teams that fall between 6-10 and 10-6, a few really bad teams and a few really good teams. Reid's Eagles have personified that middle-of-the-pack mediocrity for years. Two losing seasons (6-10 in '05, 4-12 in '12), two .500 seasons (2007, 2011), two 10-win seasons (2006, 2010) and one 11-win season (2009). Most worrisome to me is that ownership gave him literally everything he wanted in 2011 and 2012 and the team tanked. 12-20 with a roster that could've been built in Madden? That's pretty scary. And not in a good way.

So why do you think Kubiak is better? What exactly has he done?

houstonwhodat
06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
So why do you think Kubiak is better? What exactly has he done?

Fuck Kubiak.

Too conservative and he has no balls.

He can't even watch a kicker kick a field goal. He has to look away.

Just Passin' By
06-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Bill Belichick
Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin

I'd put Reid in a group below that, fighting for the #10 spot.

RunKC
06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Kubiak doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as Reid. He's only beaten a horrible Bengals franchise in the playoffs twice.

Plus Schaub sucks ass. He's an offensive guru and he can't get him to be anything more than average.

ChiefGator
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Go back to the video interview of Dorsey after they drafted the Fullbak. It was very interesting. He said something like "When Reid told me what type of fullback he likes for his offense, he was describing this player to a 'T'." I just thought it was a very interesting revelation on how they work together.

DaWolf
06-05-2013, 01:04 PM
It's such a tough thing to quantify. For example, if you take Big Ben, RG3, Rodgers, Eli, or Brees away from those coaches and give them to Reid, does Reid then leapfrog them as the better coach?

Like people have mentioned, McNabb was good for a while, but he was never in the stratosphere of some of those QB's. That said, until Reid wins the big one, I agree that he can't be considered as good. But he's got to find himself a franchise QB in the next 3-5 years...

Belichik
Harbaugh
Tomlin
Shannahan
McCarthy
Coughlin
Payton

I would consider Fisher and Fox to be at the same level, but I think Andy's style fits more with the way the NFL is played today.

John Fox is too conservative. We saw that in January.

The Bad Guy
06-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Gary Kubiak over Reid?

I think Gary Kubiak is in the bottom 3rd of coaches in the NFL.

The Bad Guy
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm also not sure why people are surprised Reid couldn't win with a super team. Look around sports. That model never works.

The Bad Guy
06-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh and Knownothing, next time you rep me a link to an article insisting Andy Reid is the worst game manager of all time, I'm going to send you a permanent loop of John Fox taking a knee with Peyton Manning against the Ravens last year.

keg in kc
06-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm not a big Kubiak fan but the Texans were 10-6 and 12-4 in '11 and '12 and won their division both seasons. I'm not going to put Reid's 8-8 and 4-12 teams over that.

This shouldn't be hard to figure out: I'm not a fan of Reid. I've said since even before he was hired that I think he's a coach who's been on a steady decline. The hope now is that he can buck that trend and turn both his personal fortunes and the franchise's around.

MahiMike
06-05-2013, 01:47 PM

John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
B.B.

This is about right. Andy with Brees > Payton though.

Really a shame that McNabb played that Superbowl with a hangover. Andy coulda won that one.

RunKC
06-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm not a big Kubiak fan but the Texans were 10-6 and 12-4 in '11 and '12 and won their division both seasons. I'm not going to put Reid's 8-8 and 4-12 teams over that.

This shouldn't be hard to figure out: I'm not a fan of Reid. I've said since even before he was hired that I think he's a coach who's been on a steady decline. The hope now is that he can buck that trend and turn both his personal fortunes and the franchise's around.

Yes but look at Reid's body of work. The NFC East was the most competitive division in the NFC in the 2000's. The Giants only had 3 losing seasons in Andy Reid's tenure in Philly and the Cowboys have only had 2 losing seasons since 2003.
Every year the division was hard to win and it was even harder to get a 5th or 6th seed because 3 teams in that division were at least 8-8 or better most of the time.

Reid is also 11th in all time playoff wins. He's also coached 3 different QB's to guide his team to the playoffs while in Philly (McNabb, Garcia and Vick).

Whether or not Reid is in a decline remains to be seen. I personally think the media, injuries and his son dying played a big part of his embarrassing season last year.

listopencil
06-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Bill Belichick
Pete Carroll
Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthey
Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin

Roughly on par:
Jeff Fisher
John Fox
Jason Garrett
Marvin Lewis
Rex Ryan

Dennis Allen
Leslie Frazier
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin
Ron Rivera
Greg Schiano
Jim Schwartz

One thing that skews the list is the number of new coaches, who are impossible to rank at this point:
Bruce Arians
Gus Bradley
Rob Chudzinski
Chip Kelley
Doug Marrone
Mike McCoy
Marc Trestman

That's a pretty good list.

The Bad Guy
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Sorry, that's absurd logic. 2 years, playing in an atrocious division does not make a coach.

The Bad Guy
06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Jason Garrett on par?

-King-
06-05-2013, 02:31 PM

:spock:

-King-
06-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Sorry, that's absurd logic. 2 years, playing in an atrocious division does not make a coach.

This, I'd rather face the Colts, Jags, and Titans 10 times out of 10 over the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys.

Pepe Silvia
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Mike Mccarthy

Word!

chiefzilla1501
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Not ausure why I've seen mike Smith on several lists. Would take Reid every day of the week over smith.

By the way. Reids stock is going to depend on his defense. He has to prove he can win without Jim Johnson. I think his offense has improved to the point where he can hut he has to prove it.

Bill Belichick
Pete Carroll
Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthey
Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin

Roughly on par:
Jeff Fisher
John Fox
Jason Garrett
Marvin Lewis
Rex Ryan

Dennis Allen
Leslie Frazier
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin
Ron Rivera
Greg Schiano
Jim Schwartz

Bruce Arians
Gus Bradley
Rob Chudzinski
Chip Kelley
Doug Marrone
Mike McCoy
Marc Trestman

-King-
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Oh and Knownothing, next time you rep me a link to an article insisting Andy Reid is the worst game manager of all time, I'm going to send you a permanent loop of John Fox taking a knee with Peyton Manning against the Ravens last year.

LMAOLMAOLMAO

-King-
06-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Coaches I'd take for sure over Andy Reid:

Jim Harbaugh
John Harbaugh
Belichick
Mike Tomlin

Coaches he's on par with and would be a toss up:
Mike Smith
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton

DaWolf
06-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Kubiak was also 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and 6-10 the years before that...

OrtonsPiercedTaint
06-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I wonder what kind of coach Marvin Lewis would be away from the cluster fuck that is the Bengals. Surely he wouldn't get the Lovie Smith treatment(no job).

RippedmyFlesh
06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
The bottom line is we are going from 30,31,32 pick a number to legit top 10 coach.
That is going to make a bigger difference than any player.

Chief_For_Life58
06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
all of them. plus nick saban

houstonwhodat
06-05-2013, 07:53 PM

The Texans are in a weak ass division with Jacksonville and Tennessee.

Now that the Colts have Luck the Texans can kiss the AFC South goodbye.

houstonwhodat
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
This is about right. Andy with Brees > Payton though.

Really a shame that McNabb played that Superbowl with a hangover. Andy coulda won that one.

Don't be so sure.

Brees with Schottenheimer/Turner wasn't anything like the Brees/Payton combination is.

Brees/Payton is a match made in heaven. Very rare to find that combination.

BB/TB yes.

houstonwhodat
06-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Coaches I'd take for sure over Andy Reid:

Jim Harbaugh
John Harbaugh
Belichick
Mike Tomlin

Coaches he's on par with and would be a toss up:
Mike Smith
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton

No way.

Reid/Smith maybe.

Not a chance he is the same as SP or MM.

-King-
06-05-2013, 08:39 PM
No way.

Reid/Smith maybe.

Not a chance he is the same as SP or MM.

Aaron Rodgers would give Romeo Crennel 10-12 win seasons.

And Payton may be better than Reid, but not by that much IMO.

chiefzilla1501
06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Aaron Rodgers would give Romeo Crennel 10-12 win seasons.

And Payton may be better than Reid, but not by that much IMO.

Aaron Rodgers is a good QB.

But Romeo is a shitty coach. No QB could have helped us win last season, even Aaron Rodgers.

warpaint*
06-05-2013, 09:40 PM

John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
B.B.

I would also take Shanahan, Tomlin, and McCarthey over Reid which still has him in the top ten so we agree.

warpaint*
06-05-2013, 09:41 PM
John Fox?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think they are on a similar level/tier.

warpaint*
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM

It's fluid obviously. Carroll's a guy I could see overtaking him in my eyes in the coming years.

kysirsoze
06-05-2013, 09:51 PM
LOL @ Kubiak being better than Reid. AFC South fans look at him like we looked at Norv. Just thanking God for every contract extension. That dude is just wasting talent.

Also, John Fox is a decent coach, but kneeling in that playoff game last year is one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. I know one call can't define a career, but that one comes close.

AussieChiefsFan
06-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Mike Smith
John Harbough
Bill Belichick
Sean Payton
Jim Harbough
Mike McCarthy
Mike Tomlin?

FRCDFED
06-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Bill Belichick
Pete Carroll
Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthey
Sean Payton
Mike Shanahan
Mike Smith
Mike Tomlin

Roughly on par:
Jeff Fisher
John Fox
Jason Garrett
Marvin Lewis
Rex Ryan

Dennis Allen
Leslie Frazier
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin
Ron Rivera
Greg Schiano
Jim Schwartz

Bruce Arians
Gus Bradley
Rob Chudzinski
Chip Kelley
Doug Marrone
Mike McCoy
Marc Trestman

These guys are not on par with Reid and I am not a Reid fan:

John Fox = Terrible HC

Jason Garrett = An absolute abomination of a HC (Jerry Jones' "yes" man)

Marvin Lewis = Meh

Chuck Pagano (could move up the list) = Hasn't proven himself in the league long enough yet

Rex Ryan = LOL........good DC if someone else drafts the talent for him but terrible HC.

Fisher is probably the equivalent of Reid.

ChiefMojo
06-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Going back over all the coaches in the league, I would probably have Coach Reid in the #7-#8 range.

houstonwhodat
06-06-2013, 10:42 AM
LOL @ Kubiak being better than Reid. AFC South fans look at him like we looked at Norv. Just thanking God for every contract extension. That dude is just wasting talent.

Also, John Fox is a decent coach, but kneeling in that playoff game last year is one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. I know one call can't define a career, but that one comes close.

Kubiak is a fucking idiot.

If given the chance he would have done the same thing as that dumb ass Fox last year.

Kneel down when you have one of the 4 elite QB's? How fucking stupid.

Fox should have been fired after that or if I was PM I would have confronted him about it on the sidelines.

AussieChiefsFan
06-08-2013, 11:23 PM
NFL Head Coach power rankings. Reid comes in at #10.

10) Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs

Reid falls a bit due to the Eagles' immense struggles in 2011 and '12. Still, it's hard to look past five NFC Championship Game appearances and a Super Bowl berth. Give the man his due. There's a reason why Kansas City took, oh, about eight minutes to decide he was the franchise's next head coach.http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000208735/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings#photo=23