PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Reid focusing more on coaching, less on personnel

Kerberos
06-07-2013, 07:57 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/07/reid-focusing-more-on-coaching-less-on-personnel/

Reid focusing more on coaching, less on personnel

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Yes, Andy Reid has renewed energy. But it just doesn’t come from a change of scenery.

Reid, who ran the show in Philly for 14 years with extensive involvement in personnel, is focusing more on coaching and less on collecting players.

“I was a little more involved with the personnel [with the Eagles],” Reid told reporters on Thursday, via quotes distributed by the team. “It’s good to have [G.M.] John [Dorsey] here doing that. I have ultimate trust in him. Not that I didn’t in Philadelphia, that’s not what I’m saying, but I also trust that he has it under control and is rolling.”

Reid was careful to point out that this isn’t a slap at the men assigned the task of helping him set the table in Philly.

“I had a lot of trust in Howie [Roseman], so I don’t mean that, and Tom Heckert before that,” Reid said. “I trusted him. Those guys, I trusted. I was just asked to do a little bit more there. For that part of my career, it was great. I’m glad to be doing this. I’m enjoying this.”

Implicit in Reid’s remarks is the possibility that the personnel duties were keeping him from fully enjoying his job, since he wasn’t doing the thing he enjoys the most — coaching. For now, he is.

It helps, of course, that Reid and Dorsey inherited a roster with six Pro Bowlers and other players who are far better than their 2-14 record in 2012 would indicate. Quarterback struggles had a major impact on the team’s fate, and now that Alex Smith has teamed up with Reid, a noted signal-caller Svengali, the Chiefs can improve, quickly.

So, yes, it helps that Reid trusts Dorsey. It also helps that they aren’t running a team like the Jets.

ptlyon
06-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Wait. Chiefs> Jets?

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
*-*-*-* the J-E-T-S

Rain Man
06-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Wait. Chiefs> Jets?

They haven't won a Super Bowl since 1969. That's pretty pathetic. We won a Super Bowl in 1970. Much better.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2013, 09:25 AM
good news ... philly was better when he was doing more coaching and less GM-ing

ptlyon
06-07-2013, 10:05 AM
They haven't won a Super Bowl since 1969. That's pretty pathetic. We won a Super Bowl in 1970. Much better.

Don't let those dog humpers out east hear about this

BlackHelicopters
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Good news.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 10:40 AM

This. except with the high five draft fans gif added.

Mav
06-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Perfect scenario. When the eagles were going to 5 straight nfccg's The front office was banner, and heckert, and Reid focused soley on the offense, while jim Johnson took care of the defense. This is perfect for the chiefs. Sutton can handle the defense, Doug, and Andy the offense, and leave personnel to John Dorsey. Things are shaping up very nicely for the chiefs.

bowener
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Perfect scenario. When the eagles were going to 5 straight nfccg's The front office was banner, and heckert, and Reid focused soley on the offense, while jim Johnson took care of the defense. This is perfect for the chiefs. Sutton can handle the defense, Doug, and Andy the offense, and leave personnel to John Dorsey. Things are shaping up very nicely for the chiefs.

Stop being positive! It scares me.

New World Order
06-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Focusing more on bbq

rocknrolla
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM

What is this positive thing you speak of? It scares me too.

ThatRaceCardGuy
06-07-2013, 12:45 PM

You bastard! Positivity is not allowed on this site. Mods please perma-ban.

Chief Faithful
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM

This is not the kind of CP posting I have grown accustom to reading. If this kind of enthusiasm doesn't stop I might be goaded into saying something upbeat. I am trying to keep my cynical mindset for just a while longer.

Kerberos
06-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh Sh!t.... If I started a threat that shows any signs of the Chiefs actually doing something positive this could really have harsh repercussions for me on being cast out to "Banned Camp"?

Marcellus
06-07-2013, 01:30 PM
324 views and 16 responses. Most interesting part is who hasn't posted in this thread.

Kind of nice really.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
324 views and 16 responses. Most interesting part is who hasn't posted in this thread.

Kind of nice really.

Meh. Tiecher article = better.

DJJasonp
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I posted something similar in the royals thread earlier......I've been thinking, for quite a while now.....at some point it can't always be about drafting the wrong players.

For the most part.....first and second round draft picks typically don't "bust". At some point you have to ask yourself what a player might have been, given good coaching and development.

Lets hope this has been the case with the past two regimes

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I posted something similar in the royals thread earlier......I've been thinking, for quite a while now.....at some point it can't always be about drafting the wrong players.

For the most part.....first and second round draft picks typically don't "bust". At some point you have to ask yourself what a player might have been, given good coaching and development.

There's a difference between absolute inept coaching and management(Chiefs for the last eleventy years), and decent to good to great.
That said, drafting the right talent is HUGE.

Baby Lee
06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Oh Sh!t.... If I started a threat that shows any signs of the Chiefs actually doing something positive this could really have harsh repercussions for me on being cast out to "Banned Camp"?

Careful with that flute.

Mav
06-07-2013, 03:25 PM
my bad
You bastard! Positivity is not allowed on this site. Mods please perma-ban.
OH NOOOOZZZZZ,
This is not the kind of CP posting I have grown accustom to reading. If this kind of enthusiasm doesn't stop I might be goaded into saying something upbeat. I am trying to keep my cynical mindset for just a while longer.
Yeah, about that lol.

At this level, I agree. It is all coaching. That's what people are missing. That's the difference between lets just say, Alex Smith, before, and after Harbaugh. Its the reason that players can leave New England, and never be the dominant player they were. The teams that have the best coaching and front offices, usually stay contenders. Ironic that the teams over the past 15 years that have been repeat winners, and contenders, are the same teams. Yet, teams like Cleveland, Detroit, Arizona, Jax, Oakland, with the exception of a year here or there, are consistently horrid, have consistent turnover, and are consistent laughing stocks. That's why a cleaning of the house was a necessary evil for the chiefs, and the way they were able to pull everything together was amazing.

penbrook
06-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Per Fantasy Guru

If Dwayne Bowe would’ve had 16 games with Cassel last season, he would’ve put up about 91/1237/7 on 169 targets. Smith+Reid = great ff pick

bevischief
06-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Water is wet.

Easy 6
06-07-2013, 04:59 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4-bD0ZG5_2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OrtonsPiercedTaint
06-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Daniel, Bray or Stanzi changed their name to Svengali?

milkman
06-08-2013, 09:30 AM
No question about it.

Mike Florio is a much better fluffer than Adam Teicher.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2013, 11:05 AM
No question about it.

Mike Florio is a much better fluffer than Adam Teicher.

Theme aside, it is not harder to be a better writer than Tiecher. I mean, that motherfucker is BAD at his craft; REALLY bad. I don't know who he's blowing at the Star, but I'm stymied beyond all belief that someone actually employs him.

Mav
06-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Theme aside, it is not harder to be a better writer than Tiecher. I mean, that mother****er is BAD at his craft; REALLY bad. I don't know who he's blowing at the Star, but I'm stymied beyond all belief that someone actually employs him.

It goes both ways though. For the Browns, we have Tony Grossi, who is the biggest downer on the planet. And then we have our fluffer, in Mary Kay Cabot, who is an okay reporter, but she is always the last person to ever break a story. I prefer the fluffer at this stage of the offseason. Rather go into a season thinking I have a chance, rather than knowing kinda like for Jax, and the raiders, that this year, is really going to suck.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2013, 12:03 PM
It goes both ways though. For the Browns, we have Tony Grossi, who is the biggest downer on the planet. And then we have our fluffer, in Mary Kay Cabot, who is an okay reporter, but she is always the last person to ever break a story. I prefer the fluffer at this stage of the offseason. Rather go into a season thinking I have a chance, rather than knowing kinda like for Jax, and the raiders, that this year, is really going to suck.

If you want smoke blown up your ass, to each his own. Me? I'll take one honest writer, with no agenda, who will tell it like it is.

Mav
06-08-2013, 12:06 PM
If you want smoke blown up your ass, to each his own. Me? I'll take one honest writer, with no agenda, who will tell it like it is.

How is it smoke at this point though? There cant be an objective view at this point, because everything is completely different than last year. to have a pessimistic view at this point, is to point to last season, and saying, new year, same ol shit. And in both Clevelands, and Kansas Citys situation, that is so far from the truth that its poor journalism and very poor logic to even equate the two......