PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto The Motorcycle Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Dayze
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I figure there are some motorcycle guys/gals on CP, so I thought we could have a place to talk all things Motorcycles.

Tire Mount and Balance Prices (as of 10/29/16)

Prices based on if you remove the wheels yourself and bring the wheels and new tires with you:

Cycle Gear - $35 per wheel if you buy tires from them. $58 per wheel if you buy tires elsewhere
Rawhide - $65 per wheel (assuming it would be the same at other HD dealers. they book it at 1/2 hr per wheel)
C R Cycle Tires (DeSoto) - $30 per wheel

Cheapest I've found my Michelin Commander II's. Seem like they have good prices on other brands too.
http://www.jakewilson.com - Free 3 day shipping on orders over $75

Dayze
06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I had a 2001 ZX6R that had an untimely death in 2003 where I had a little 50MPH lowside. Bike down the reveen on Blue River road. I was wearing full gear (pants, boots, jacket, gloves, helmet) and only suffered a broken hand and a bruised rib.

I then took a hiatus from sport bikes and grabbed a Vstar 650 Custom for $3k. Rode it for a few years and sold it for….$3k! woot!

The sport bike bug bit me again and I picked up a Honda 600RR in 2008; sold her in 2011 after a lot of love and fun, and one track day.

Now the bike itch has come back. I’m nearly certain I’m finally going to stay focused and buy a Ducati. 90% a Monster. I’ve always been a fan; from the 620 to now. I test road the newer 1100 and 696 monsters about 2 years ago – wow. So much fun. 1100 has a LOT of torque. Probably more than I need on the street. Love that they came out with a 796 model, and they decided to go with the single sided swing arm.
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/11_ducati_monster796-17.jpg

I’m hopeful to pick one up either this year or next. My price range, and fun factor has me pointed primarily at the S2R800. And most 2V Ducs for that matter.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/bmonty72/Monster/DSC00305.jpg

Though my heart still loves the 620/690s.

Scorp
06-07-2013, 11:49 AM
2010 Streetglide. I have had a few Nightrains and a Big Dog Mastiff.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 11:52 AM
2010 Streetglide. I have had a few Nightrains and a Big Dog Mastiff.

Streetglide would be the HD I'd get if I ever got a HD.
They have the pefect blend of style. The hardbags and fairing on the tree do it for me.

Scorp
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Streetglide would be the HD I'd get if I ever got a HD.
They have the pefect blend of style. The hardbags and fairing on the tree do it for me.

My next bike will be an Ultra Classic that I can strip down to look like a Streetglide, but still have the tour pak to put on for long trips.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Behold - the desmodromic valve actuation.
One of the Ducati myths of constant 'valve adjustments'. After broken in, and assuming not full on racing the bike, the valves should remain in tolerance.
Another reason for my opting for a 2V instead of a 4V. 2V would be easier to do the valve checks, and rather than buying a set of shims, I'd just buy the ones I needed. Saves $$$ from taking it to the dealer. Tons.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/226274/

Craash
06-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a 425 horse Turbo 2011 Hayabusa.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/253089_153437758129231_967257694_n.jpg

This year I've added Ohlins front and back and Brembo's.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/10554_259310084208664_685820642_n.jpg

I've had her to multiple track days, but not at this high of HP. I was slow as could be at 325. I did buy and restore a nice zx9r (first true 10 second bike) for my track callings:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/176918_170825783057095_197168616_o.jpg

allen_kcCard
06-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Just got my M endorsement last fall with plans to get a motorcycle, and then went and knocked up the wife and had to put those plans on hold to try to get a new house for an extra bedroom.

I was looking a lot at bikes to figure out what I wanted, and always loved the looks of the nightrod, but really don't know that much about them. A guy at work that knows bikes well told me that if I got a HD...even if I wanted to don't get a sportster. Said they are too light and I'd just want something else right away.

Since HD was likely out of the budget I also thought about buying a buddies Boulevard for 3k after he upgraded to a new Victory, but didn't pull the trigger at the time and found out we were having the kid a short time later. Regrets :)

Donger
06-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of these, so I can do the hand wavy thing with other motorcycle owners:

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/forza.aspx

Dayze
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Crash - I take it you're familiar with Smither's :thumb:

Dayze
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of these, so I can do the hand wavy thing with other motorcycle owners:

As long as it's 2 wheels you're good. :thumb:

crazycoffey
06-07-2013, 12:35 PM
05 fatboy

Dayze
06-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Just got my M endorsement last fall with plans to get a motorcycle, and then went and knocked up the wife and had to put those plans on hold to try to get a new house for an extra bedroom.

I was looking a lot at bikes to figure out what I wanted, and always loved the looks of the nightrod, but really don't know that much about them. A guy at work that knows bikes well told me that if I got a HD...even if I wanted to don't get a sportster. Said they are too light and I'd just want something else right away.

Since HD was likely out of the budget I also thought about buying a buddies Boulevard for 3k after he upgraded to a new Victory, but didn't pull the trigger at the time and found out we were having the kid a short time later. Regrets :)

All just depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Long hauls? City/cruise?, Ride Two Up? etc. Personally, I love the Sporters Bobbed out. I think PR_Capone has one that is basically exctly what I'd like.

My $.02 is to get a metric as your first. Hate to drop coin on a HD only to drop it in a parking lot, or crash it. You can get a great metric in the 650-750cc range that will do everything you'd want for very cheap. That Boulvard sounds like a good option (C50?). Learn on it, put some serious miles on it, then turn around and sell it. I rode all over with my wife two-up on my 650 just fine. Only wished it had a taller 5th gear or 6th, but other than that, did everything I wanted.

Metrics sell very well too because of the price point. There will be people like yourself looking to get into motorcycling. My Vstar 650 is a good example. paid 3k for it, rode it for about 2.5-3 years and sold it for right at $3k. Didn't have to do a single thing to it.

Huge aftermarket; good costs; cheap maintenance etc.

allen_kcCard
06-07-2013, 12:51 PM
All just depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Long hauls? City/cruise?, Ride Two Up? etc. Personally, I love the Sporters Bobbed out. I think PR_Capone has one that is basically exctly what I'd like.

My $.02 is to get a metric as your first. Hate to drop coin on a HD only to drop it in a parking lot, or crash it. You can get a great metric in the 650-750cc range that will do everything you'd want for very cheap. That Boulvard sounds like a good option (C50?). Learn on it, put some serious miles on it, then turn around and sell it. I rode all over with my wife two-up on my 650 just fine. Only wished it had a taller 5th gear or 6th, but other than that, did everything I wanted.

Metrics sell very well too because of the price point. There will be people like yourself looking to get into motorcycling. My Vstar 650 is a good example. paid 3k for it, rode it for about 2.5-3 years and sold it for right at $3k. Didn't have to do a single thing to it.

Huge aftermarket; good costs; cheap maintenance etc.

God, I feel like such a newb sometimes. One sec while I do some reading.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-a-metric-motorcycle

Graystoke
06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Disclaimer,
None of these photos are actually of my bikes in the garage

I own multiple bikes, and am always on the lookout for more.
Picked this 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC up last year. I live in the Northeastern Part of Iowa and do a lot of Trout fishing. So this thing is perfect to hit gravel roads and grind about.
About 94 HP and very elastic. I put Jesse Bags on, Engine gaurds, Safari Lights.
Great Dirt Rocket indeed.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Triumph/2011_Tiger800XC/Tiger800XC_1024.jpg

I restored this on last year with my son. Its a 1973 Yamaha 100 LT2, my bar bike and let me tell you it attracts chicks. Has less then 500 Miles on it.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/XXXRacer165/YamahaDT1001973001.jpg

We barn finded a 1977 Maico early this spring. It has the Radial head on it. It is pretty complete with decent plastic, coffin tank and hope to complete it this spring.
http://www.leguidevert.com/_lgv/img_forum/2012/11/302725_2906_maico-500-mc-1977-.jpg

kcfanXIII
06-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Currently on an 85 virago 700. Its my second bike. I love it. Great for putting around town. Even taken it on a few road trips. I'm ready to upgrade but the budget isn't there yet. Plan to get a HD road glide when I graduate and get a better job.

allen_kcCard
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
God, I feel like such a newb sometimes. One sec while I do some reading.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-a-metric-motorcycle

Ah, got it now. Also had to see what one being bobbed out means...which I completely see now, I really don't like the look of the huge fenders.

Yeah, the boulevard is one I wish I would have done now. I thought I'd keep looking because my 6'2 size didn't like the peg location and my leg was cramping when I went for a ride on it with the guy, but I thought afterwards that that is probably one of the easiest things on a bike I'd ever have to change, but when I checked a week ago he'd already sold it.

kcfanXIII
06-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Here is my "gold digging bitch"

seaofred
06-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm on my first bike. It's a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900. I've had it for about 3 years. I think my next bike will be a Harley Rocker C or a Victory Hammer or 8-ball.

FlaChief58
06-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I ride a ' 03 Suzuki volusia intruder 805. My next one will be a honda goldwing

allen_kcCard
06-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Hate to drop coin on a HD only to drop it in a parking lot, or crash it.

This got me thinking on this part of the unknown for me too. How many of you have crashed a bike? How many have dropped it one time or another?

In the riding class I took to learn how to ride, I came close once, but never dropped the training bike, although the others in the class both did so several times. We rode Buell Blasts, which the instructor said were harder to ride than most anything else people would ever buy. The others were still killing those things the final day of the class.

I've only ridden once since the class, on the Boulevard I mentioned, and it was definitely easy to ride. The guy that owned it went with me, and I didn't get any time at all to get used to it, just hopped on and followed him out of the driveway for a ride from Luisberg to Archie and back and the main problems was my leg cramping from the foot peg being too close, and scraping the bottom when we got back to his house when I turned too sharp, which did definitely freak me the hell out...although I kept it on the road when I came out of the turn to stop the scrape.

I guess the point is, would people like the other two in class with me be more typical for beginning riders? Or would they just be hopeless. One of them was in her 60's and had ridden with her husband for years and years, so she knew bikes, just hadn't driven herself.

FlaChief58
06-07-2013, 01:33 PM
In '88 I had a 250 enduro. I got cut off by a School bus, bounced down the side until the front tire got caught in the rear wheelwell at which point I was summersaulted off the bike, landed face down and slid 20' on the pavement. I walked away with a cut on my leg and a busted lip. I've had no mishaps since (knock on wood)

Dayze
06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Ah, got it now. Also had to see what one being bobbed out means...which I completely see now, I really don't like the look of the huge fenders.

Yeah, the boulevard is one I wish I would have done now. I thought I'd keep looking because my 6'2 size didn't like the peg location and my leg was cramping when I went for a ride on it with the guy, but I thought afterwards that that is probably one of the easiest things on a bike I'd ever have to change, but when I checked a week ago he'd already sold it.

Yep. :thumb: Learning already lol.
I'm 6'0 about 240 and my 650 was good on leg room. not great, but not bad either. You can always install different front pegs too.

Also another thing to consider is: Ride Your Own Ride. Meaning, get what YOU want, and not what others will deem cool/uncool. Ride in YOUR comfort level/skill. I've found a lot of guys criticize Sportsters, but have never ridden one. Sure, the 800 may not be a screamer but will suffice for 90% of your riding. 1100 will have more than enough. Both will put a smile on your face from a power standpoint.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
This got me thinking on this part of the unknown for me too. How many of you have crashed a bike? How many have dropped it one time or another?

:harumph: Not me. Ok....well, I've done both.;)

Dayze
06-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I've only ridden once since the class, on the Boulevard I mentioned, and it was definitely easy to ride. The guy that owned it went with me, and I didn't get any time at all to get used to it, just hopped on and followed him out of the driveway for a ride from Luisberg to Archie and back and the main problems was my leg cramping from the foot peg being too close, and scraping the bottom when we got back to his house when I turned too sharp, which did definitely freak me the hell out...although I kept it on the road when I came out of the turn to stop the scrape.

I guess the point is, would people like the other two in class with me be more typical for beginning riders? Or would they just be hopeless. One of them was in her 60's and had ridden with her husband for years and years, so she knew bikes, just hadn't driven herself.

ahh yeah. the first peg gring. lol. Spooked the shit out of me too.

I think everyone is different. A lot of it, in my opinoin, is about seat-time and how much you ride. It can some what depend on the bike too. Buels, from what I've heard, have tall gears so maybe thats what people were having problems with moving from a dead-stop. Needing to ride the cluth a bit.

houstonwhodat
06-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Disclaimer,
None of these photos are actually of my bikes in the garage

I own multiple bikes, and am always on the lookout for more.
Picked this 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC up last year. I live in the Northeastern Part of Iowa and do a lot of Trout fishing. So this thing is perfect to hit gravel roads and grind about.
About 94 HP and very elastic. I put Jesse Bags on, Engine gaurds, Safari Lights.
Great Dirt Rocket indeed.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Triumph/2011_Tiger800XC/Tiger800XC_1024.jpg

I restored this on last year with my son. Its a 1973 Yamaha 100 LT2, my bar bike and let me tell you it attracts chicks. Has less then 500 Miles on it.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/XXXRacer165/YamahaDT1001973001.jpg

We barn finded a 1977 Maico early this spring. It has the Radial head on it. It is pretty complete with decent plastic, coffin tank and hope to complete it this spring.
http://www.leguidevert.com/_lgv/img_forum/2012/11/302725_2906_maico-500-mc-1977-.jpg

Who the hell's bikes are these?

I grew up riding all these vintage bikes. Raced Suzuki TM's before there were RM's.

Love the Yamaha Enduro's. They let you ride 2 strokes up there?

AphexPhin
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
wouldn't even dare try owning one. Go ahead and call me a pussy I dont care. You could easily get killed riding one of those things

Dayze
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
that Triumph is nice.

Triumphs have a sweet spot in my heart. Quirky bastards.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
wouldn't even dare try owning one. Go ahead and call me a pussy I dont care. You could easily get killed riding one of those things

Ever ridden a Honda Troll?

allen_kcCard
06-07-2013, 02:12 PM
ahh yeah. the first peg gring. lol. Spooked the shit out of me too.

I think everyone is different. A lot of it, in my opinoin, is about seat-time and how much you ride. It can some what depend on the bike too. Buels, from what I've heard, have tall gears so maybe thats what people were having problems with moving from a dead-stop. Needing to ride the cluth a bit.

It is hard to describe on the Buells, it was like the gear switching clanked and clicked when you were gearing on the move. Even the last day there were times where I had to work to get it into the next gear. At the bottom I never had any problems, just treated it like back in the day when I was 10 and had to get a tractor moving with a trailer of 300 bales that weren't tied down and uncles that would give me shit if I lost part of the load. Back then I probably rubbed the clutch too much, I was happy as a hog with hogfarmer when the guy at the class said you can't really rub a clutch on a bike too much.

FlaChief58
06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

People die in cars too :facepalm:

Dayze
06-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Possibly. I've always found Twin cyls to be a little finicky if short-shifted / shifted too soon. My Yamaha did it too. Twins produce a lot more torque and the gearing isn't as close as say a 4cyl superbike. In 'general'. The torque lets you chill in whatever gear and the it lets you roll on with enough power. As opposed to a 4cyl where the gears are so close you're constantly shifting to stay in the meat of the power band.

When I test rode the Ducati Monster 696 and 1100 it clanked a bit. Took some getting used to after hopping of the slick gearbox of 600RR. But nothing that couldn't be gotten used to if that makes any sense.

seclark
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
2004 hd fatboy 7k miles

when I was younger I had a Kawasaki kz650...it's a wonder I wasn't killed on that thing.

I had my hd in the shop to get the oil changed, etc, when a big storm came through town and blew the roof off the place. I went by to check on the bike. guy told me it was still in the shed out back and it was ok, since only a couple pieces of tin blew off that roof. so, they call me a couple days later, saying it was done. picked it up and took it home. last night I went to get on it for a short ride and noticed a chip on the front fender about the size of my fingernail. i'm pissed. don't think there's much sense in calling and bitching since I've had it home a couple days now, but shit...:mad:

sec

Fansy the Famous Bard
06-07-2013, 03:09 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqqI9iz17w6Z_CsC4zoF2GaTsc1_OKN94dOgKMOfiwtBX-6T60TA

2013 Fat Bob, love it.

The wife has a superlow 883 sportster

http://media.jl-harley.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/motorcycles/bike-finder/new-h-d-bikes/2013-xl883l-883-super-low-big-blue-pearl/2013-xl883l-sportster-883-super-low-big-blue-pearl-harley-davidson/129001-1-eng-US/2013-xl883l-sportster-883-super-low-big-blue-pearl-harley-davidson_billboard_bike.jpg

Dayze
06-07-2013, 03:13 PM
shit.

I had a deal at Freedom Cycles with my ZX6R; bought it new; did the first oil change myself etc. Went to unscrew the hex/allen bolts to take the side fairing, and the damned thing cracked all the way across. Like a Wylie Cyote cartoon.

I was PISSSED. I knew it was due to something in handling or assmbly. Freedom Basically told me over the phone to get bent. So I loaded up with the POS fairing, and drove up there on a Saturday around 1pm. Walked into the showroom and was asking sort of loudly "Who can I talk to about this issue I had with my fairing on my brand new bike I bought. I was told there was nothing they could do" etc.

Yeah, I was scooped up quick from Freedom's secret service. Took me into the garage and were blaming a rock chip on it; on the front lip between radiator and wheel. I was like "Look MF, that hole happend as soon as I released the tension from the bolt". Long story short, they told me to piss into the wind.

I filled out the survey card, along with a letter attached, to Kawasaki. Telling them a brand new bike was bought. Their dealer is not accomodating. That I attend multiple track days, ride with guys on bike runs/rides etc. And everyone I meet, I'm going to advise against purchasing Kawasaki if they don't resolve the issue". I also threw in a 'Should've bought a Honda" lol.

2 weeks later Kawasaki said they shipped a new fairing to the dealer; Freedom then tried to tell me that I would have to pay for labor etc. Told them to get ****ed. Kawasaki said they would reimburse the dealer.

Kawasaki was money in dealing with the issue. the issue was 100% on Freedom's cheap/shady ass.

.....after all this..............I lowsided the bike about a week later and totaled it lol. So Freedom was left sitting there with a new Fairing.

By the way don't go to Freedom if you have a choice. I'm sure some have had good experiences but nearly everyone I've ridden with avoids them like the Plague. There's the main dude there, who's name escapes me at the moment, that is a complete asshole. Everyone I know, knows of this guy. Tall dude. When I bought the bike, it was a model leftover by like 1.5 yrs. It was for $7700. He asked 'what'll it take to get you into this"? I said "7K'. He laughed and said the best he could do was $7550. LMAO. Realize, this was February, drizzly cold, snow. Asshole called back about a month later and asked if I was still interested in the Kawi. I said 'yes'. he asked 'what'll it take to get you into this". I said "$7K'. He 'said oh I can't do that'. That afternoon he asked again, I said 7K and he said "Deal".

Reno's is great. Donnells is good etc.

rockymtnchief
06-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Sold my VMAX a few years ago and I'm still kicking myself in the ass for it. I had a gazillion dollars dumped into it, never lost a race on the street with it, it sounded like a NASCAR, and my buddy was running mid 9's with it. It had so much torque that it was easier than hell to ride. Let out the clutch and it would idle you through the intersection. No throttle needed.

There's bikes out there faster and more powerful now, but I don't know if they'd beat my boy light to light or in an 1/8th mile.

This video has a similar bike and it sounds just like mine did. Turn up the volume!!! :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t0H7AJbYEUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

R8RFAN
06-07-2013, 05:23 PM
A friend's 46 knucklehead http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/08/a5eqy8u6.jpg

R8RFAN
06-07-2013, 05:25 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/08/e8u7ute8.jpg

AphexPhin
06-07-2013, 05:31 PM
People die in cars too :facepalm:

Bikes are CLEARLY more dangerous though. Wake the fuck up. If I had a kid, I would never let him or her EVER get on a motorcycle.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 05:32 PM
VMAX FTW. They're so bad ass.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Troll is obvious. Try harder in a different thread.

2bikemike
06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Bikes are CLEARLY more dangerous though. Wake the **** up. If I had a kid, I would never let him or her EVER get on a motorcycle.

As Jimmy would sing:
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm livin' than live while I'm dead

rockymtnchief
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
VMAX FTW. They're so bad ass.

:thumb:
Yeah, I've thought hard about building another one up, but with two daughters, a CDL to maintain and a good job, I might have to get something a little less likely to get me in trouble. :p

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4e8B0wjm6_BXkQMzNZ2RO3zkUwwuFeOZYoLmZILNcgQR21q3J

hometeam
06-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Right now I am still packing my trusty old 07 ZZR600. Have owned/ridden tons of bikes, including the last one I loved a ton, an 08 zx6r with about ten grand in suspension components on the bike.

For about 5 years riding was my life. I even created a motorcycle forum years ago and then sold out of it and made a nice payday.

BigBeauford
06-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Going to take a motorcycle class soon. I have been eyeing the Star Motorcycles Bolt. Any thoughts?

Psyko Tek
06-07-2013, 06:45 PM

nobody does the hand wavy thing at scooters

sorry donger

I got a 78 185 honda twinstar that rates 12 hp, and I still have more cred than scooters

AphexPhin
06-07-2013, 06:54 PM
you queer Harley riders should check out the South Park episode on Harleys. Its a riot and sooooooo true.

jd1020
06-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm a big honda guy. They are tanks.

My current rider is a 2002 CBR F4i. I also picked up a 1974 CB750 project bike. I haven't had the chance to crank on it yet but I'm looking to this bike as inspiration...

http://www.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/honda-cb750-2.jpg

I'd like to upgrade my F4i and get something a bit friendlier on the back but stay in the sporty field with the naked bike, cruisers just aren't my thing.

I'm looking at the CB1000R

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/CB1000R_35.jpg

or the Triumph Street/Speed Triple

http://www.moto-station.com/ttesimages/motodivers/nouveautes2013/Essai_Triumph_Street_Triple_R_2013/Triumph_Street_Triple_R_2013_st1pz.jpg

rockymtnchief
06-07-2013, 07:00 PM
you queer Harley riders should check out the South Park episode on Harleys. Its a riot and sooooooo true.

You queer n00bs should keep to posting in the baking and Pine-Sol threads.

I've ridden Harleys, sport bikes, muscle bikes and loved them all.

jd1020
06-07-2013, 07:00 PM

sorry donger

I got a 78 185 honda twinstar that rates 12 hp, and I still have more cred than scooters

I do if they wave first.

30 mph is the same on a scooter as it is on a motorcycle.

Dayze
06-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Holy shit. Haven't seen that CB1000. Wow.

Gonna turn the old Honda into a cafe racer?

Dayze
06-07-2013, 08:09 PM
You queer n00bs should keep to posting in the baking and Pine-Sol threads.

I've ridden Harleys, sport bikes, muscle bikes and loved them all.

:thumb: this.
Two wheels is always "funner"

Dayze
06-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Going to take a motorcycle class soon. I have been eyeing the Star Motorcycles Bolt. Any thoughts?

Probably can't go wrong with the Yammy (formerly). Of the metrics cruisers I think Yamaha/Star motorcycles are the best.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Had about a dozen bikes, here are stock shots of my favorites;

1985 Suzuki GSX-R750 Air Cooled, 388lbs pure rush
http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/suzuki-history/1985/1985_GSX-R750_top_450.jpg

During the seventies, I rode this 2 stroke 750 triple and it was a great bike, great times
http://motobr.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/suzuki-gt750-19711.jpg

I also rode moto during the sixties & seventies, my 1972 Bultaco 250 Pursang looked like this (note the right foot shift, as I recall it was a backward pattern too -- 1up 3 down)
http://p1.bikepics.com/2005%5C10%5C14%5Cbikepics-447085-full.jpg

It's been several years since I sold my last bike. I am thinking of getting another one -- 2013 Yamaha VMax looks like fun:evil:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-paXYM5YTtGM/UQ-o26javxI/AAAAAAAAAnA/QwYO-_i2Enc/s640/2013+Yamaha+VMax+VMX17+Wallpaper.jpg

Dayze
06-07-2013, 08:12 PM

:spock::facepalm:

Dayze
06-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Those first Suzukis were mean as shit. I rode an 1986 one about 8 yrs ago. Thing was so unpredictable from a lower standpoint. Which made it so much fun.

The old Honda Hurricanes were slick too

dred
06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I ride a K6 Gixxer 1000. (on the street, anyways)

Used to do track days but really haven't had the time in last couple years.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6835/4509004.jpg

Off road is a different story.

Still manage to tear it up on the mountain trails behind my cabin every other day. :thumb:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9859/ridesv.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7622/trizz.jpg

As far as bikes I wouldn't mind having in the near future....

I have my sites set on the Ducati Multistrada.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Pikes_Peak_Ducati_Multistrada_1200S_2.jpg

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Those first Suzukis were mean as shit. I rode an 1986 one about 8 yrs ago. Thing was so unpredictable from a lower standpoint. Which made it so much fun.

The old Honda Hurricanes were slick too

The thing I liked about that GSXR was the super light weight and the 18" rims -- could really scrub into corners hard and the bars stayed neutral. I made a few trips to Laguna Seca with that bike in tow. Flipping down the corkscrew was a rush on that bike -- it left the pavement coming out of the top corner and down the screw the first time I really opened it up on that course. heart went in throat. But I managed to always keep the shiny side up on that bike.

Hurricanes were great handlers also. bit heavier, but quite capable.

I'd love to find another GT750 Triple, that bike was a great traveler and having the two stroke midrange was just pure rush on the highways.

BIG_DADDY
06-07-2013, 08:44 PM
My zx11 and 14 in one pic together

dred
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/suzuki-history/1985/1985_GSX-R750_top_450.jpg

Miss my old slingshot. Sold it a couple years back. Great bike. :thumb:

Mine was an 86'

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8706/newleftside.jpg

BIG_DADDY
06-07-2013, 08:49 PM

During the seventies, I rode this 2 stroke 750 triple and it was a great bike, great times
http://motobr.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/suzuki-gt750-19711.jpg

I also rode moto during the sixties & seventies, my 1972 Bultaco 250 Pursang looked like this (note the right foot shift, as I recall it was a backward pattern too -- 1up 3 down)
http://p1.bikepics.com/2005%5C10%5C14%5Cbikepics-447085-full.jpg

It's been several years since I sold my last bike. I am thinking of getting another one -- 2013 Yamaha VMax looks like fun:evil:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-paXYM5YTtGM/UQ-o26javxI/AAAAAAAAAnA/QwYO-_i2Enc/s640/2013+Yamaha+VMax+VMX17+Wallpaper.jpg

I rode the new Vmax recently. You feel like you're sitting really high and engine sounded like it had rocks in it. I thought I would really love that machine. Turns out not so much.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 08:51 PM
My zx11 and 14 in one pic together

that 14 is a beautiful monster -- bet ya never go past the speed limit :evil:

seclark
06-07-2013, 08:51 PM
nice bikes in here.
sec

BIG_DADDY
06-07-2013, 08:54 PM
that 14 is a beautiful monster -- bet ya never go past the speed limit :evil:

Where I live I can ride as fast as I want. Deer are a problem in the morning though. Going on a nice long ride tomorrow. I have some trick shit I will do to it soon. I love everything about that bike except it's weelbase

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I rode the new Vmax recently. You feel like you're sitting really high and engine sounded like it had rocks in it. I thought I would really love that machine. Turns out not so much.

hmmm, well I'll keep this in mind.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Where I live I can ride as fast as I want. Deer are a problem in the morning though. Going on a nice long ride tomorrow. I have some trick shit I will do to it soon. I love everything about that bike except it's weelbase

extended swing arm?

kcfanXIII
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM

South park makes fun of everyone. I thought it was hilarious.

SAUTO
06-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Got a 53 pan sitting in the shop as we speak. Just about done.

Not mine though, my buddy's dad's, well my buddy's now.

Pretty cool old school bike
Posted via Mobile Device

crazycoffey
06-07-2013, 09:46 PM

sorry donger

I equate it to a guy in a golf cart waving at a jeep.....
But I generally wave back cause who cares, you know?

rockymtnchief
06-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Switching from a sport bike to a VMAX is a big leap. It'll feel like a hog in corners and heavy. But it still handles better than most cruisers and touring bikes. It's made more for straight-aways. I loved mine, but I also had a lot of money and way more horsepower than a guy needs. BTW...the first thing I did was get rid of the factory exhaust. See post 36.

BTW...I'm jealous. I'd love to hit the LS corkscrew!!!

jd1020
06-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Gonna turn the old Honda into a cafe racer?

Somewhat.

I'm not going to restore it to stock but I don't want to put cafe bars on it because I'm trying to get away from the tuck position. I just want to cruise now and take some decent trips.

BIG_DADDY
06-07-2013, 11:07 PM
extended swing arm?

No I am not into the drag scene, The ZX -14 is just longer. Tight corners are more of an issue. It is lighter with more hp though. I am impatiently waiting for the next generation zx to see if I might want to do a craash sceen at over 500 hp at under 500 pounds but that is literally insane. The bike I have now does power weelies at will at 200 hp.

jjjayb
06-08-2013, 05:59 AM
09 Street Glide for me. Love this bike.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/8747942813_4c6158da47_c.jpg

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 07:57 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/08/e8u7ute8.jpg

badass. note the suicide clutch.

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Switching from a sport bike to a VMAX is a big leap. It'll feel like a hog in corners and heavy. But it still handles better than most cruisers and touring bikes. It's made more for straight-aways. I loved mine, but I also had a lot of money and way more horsepower than a guy needs. BTW...the first thing I did was get rid of the factory exhaust. See post 36.

BTW...I'm jealous. I'd love to hit the LS corkscrew!!!

hahaha, well some outfits nearby LS do offer classes with bike furnished, though it's been awhile since I looked into the the LS scene. That track is very challenging because of the changing altitude within the course. coming down the screw is a challenge because the bottom turn is losing altitude and traction is misleading. once out of the corkscrew, there is a downhill grade with fast sweeping lefty that has a slightly funny exit camber to it due to the downhill, then it's off to the final two turns. Love LS. Go hit it mang.

Dunerdr
06-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Had dirtbikes and quads my whole life. Considering a drz400sm just because a friend may be selling it cheap. Been biding my time waiting on my dads friend to sell me my dads old fatboy its a 95tb anniversary. Fell in love with it the day my dAd brought it home. His buddy keeps saying hes gonna sell it because hes only put 300 miles on it in 5 yeArs but he wont pull the trigger.

Dayze
06-08-2013, 08:20 AM
hahaha, well some outfits nearby LS do offer classes with bike furnished, though it's been awhile since I looked into the the LS scene. That track is very challenging because of the changing altitude within the course. coming down the screw is a challenge because the bottom turn is losing altitude and traction is misleading. once out of the corkscrew, there is a downhill grade with fast sweeping lefty that has a slightly funny exit camber to it due to the downhill, then it's off to the final two turns. Love LS. Go hit it mang.

LS?:hmmm:

Dayze
06-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Had dirtbikes and quads my whole life. Considering a drz400sm just because a friend may be selling it cheap. Been biding my time waiting on my dads friend to sell me my dads old fatboy its a 95tb anniversary. Fell in love with it the day my dAd brought it home. His buddy keeps saying hes gonna sell it because hes only put 300 miles on it in 5 yeArs but he wont pull the trigger.

Dude I heard that bike is fun as shit.

rockymtnchief
06-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Laguna Seca corkscrew

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ncgT008MxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beach tribe
06-08-2013, 09:15 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te0V71sGoxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Laguna Seca corkscrew

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ncgT008MxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yaaaaaa dawggy

SAUTO
06-08-2013, 09:35 AM
badass. note the suicide clutch.

Yeah. The one sitting at my shop is the same way. No front brake either
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah. The one sitting at my shop is the same way. No front brake either
Posted via Mobile Device

rode one like that a long time ago for a day, belongs to a friend. not having a front brake is tough for me, I use a lot of it. the clunky shift method is cool, fits with the hog experience imo.

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
LS?:hmmm:

you ought to go -- you like tracks, that track is freekin awesome. big ass straightaway and some very well designed turns. combined with the altitude variances, laguna seca is a favorite among the GP crowd.

stevieray
06-08-2013, 10:28 AM
awesome thread!

like many i started on the dirt ....at 12...

Hodaka Super Rat 125,

Had three CB750 F Super Sports...sold the last one for a new motor for my Cherokee...

Haven't kept up with the news...but I really like the Honda CB1100F..don't know if it's for sale in the US yet....

I WILL have another SuperSport..Barnett Clutch, big bore kit....oh yes.

stevieray
06-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Dunerdr
06-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Dude I heard that bike is fun as shit.

The drz is a blast so small you can work outside to inside of corners in with a little body finesse so easy.

stevieray
06-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I saw a honda ruckus the other day with an extended swing arm and 150cc motor...

..that would be perfect for the king @ arrowhead

Dunerdr
06-08-2013, 11:20 AM
anyone know anything about a kz 1000? An old guy i know is talking about selling his its an early 80s i think with 1500 original miles.

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 11:39 AM
anyone know anything about a kz 1000? An old guy i know is talking about selling his its an early 80s i think with 1500 original miles.

those were great bikes. Eddie Lawson rode them into supersport class fame

http://www.roadracingworld.com/RFS/rrw/ImportedMedia/Lawson1334607531.jpg?size=630

the 1982 KZ1000ELR was a nice one

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483355_480732015314984_290947392_n.jpg

Mean Green Team dawg.

http://www.kz1000r.com/Gallery/albums/Bike%20of%20the%20month%20april10/kawasaki002-1(1).jpg

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 11:46 AM
awesome thread!

like many i started on the dirt ....at 12...

Hodaka Super Rat 125,

Had three CB750 F Super Sports...sold the last one for a new motor for my Cherokee...

Haven't kept up with the news...but I really like the Honda CB1100F..don't know if it's for sale in the US yet....

I WILL have another SuperSport..Barnett Clutch, big bore kit....oh yes.

nice. I remember the ol' hodakas -- had the sachs motor right? the new honda looks like a nice design

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/218656/images/Honda-CB1100F.jpg

rockymtnchief
06-08-2013, 12:36 PM
those were great bikes. Eddie Lawson rode them into supersport class fame

WOW...an Eddie Lawson sighting! I used to love watching him, Rainey and Spencer race back in the day.

Also, Kenny Roberts was my neighbor until a few years ago. What a douche bag.

Kerberos
06-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Paul Jr. Designs built this for Jared Allen

Dayze
06-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Anyone been watching Isle of Mann? Crazy fuckers.

PornChief
06-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Anyone been watching Isle of Mann? Crazy ****ers.

Isle of Man? I still have a video I bought 25 or so years ago somewhere called Onbike TT Experience, it's just full laps by old winners like Phil McCallen and Joey Dunlop and my mates and I watched it over and over. Maybe YouTube has it or something like it but, yeah - balls.

Haven't owned a bike since back then, had a Ducati 900 SS, a Triumph bonneville silver jubilee and Norton commando (not at the same time though). Fuck japan.
Also Mick Doohan is God.

TinyEvel
06-08-2013, 05:15 PM
I've never owned a bike other than a bicycle, but I've wanted an old motorcycle for quite some time. Was considering an old CB or Norton, I love the cafe racer style, but after talking to some guys at work I think I would be better off buying a newer cafe bike. Considering a Triumph Scrambler or Moto Guzzi V7.

Cool thing about the Scrambler, it has the high side pipes similar to the Triumph that Evel Knievel used to jump on in the late 60's the one he crashed at Caesar's palace on.

kcfanXIII
06-08-2013, 05:53 PM
This is probably my favorite picture I have of my bike. Anybody ride to Arkansas? Great bike trip and just a short shot down 71 from KC.

Dayze
06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Isle of Man? I still have a video I bought 25 or so years ago somewhere called Onbike TT Experience, it's just full laps by old winners like Phil McCallen and Joey Dunlop and my mates and I watched it over and over. Maybe YouTube has it or something like it but, yeah - balls.

Haven't owned a bike since back then, had a Ducati 900 SS, a Triumph bonneville silver jubilee and Norton commando (not at the same time though). **** japan.
Also Mick Doohan is God.

I loved watching AMA and WSB during the Colin Edwards, Nicky Hayden, Troy Bayliss (probably my favorite ), eras . I can't stand Ben Spies for some reason.

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
don't buy one of these -- too expensive
http://i.imgur.com/aHeVL.gif

Dayze
06-08-2013, 06:07 PM
nice. I remember the ol' hodakas -- had the sachs motor right? the new honda looks like a nice design

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/218656/images/Honda-CB1100F.jpg

Shit I hadn't seen that yet. Very cool.

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Shit I hadn't seen that yet. Very cool.

looks like they want $10k on the 2013 model

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/11/finally-coming-to-america-2013-honda-cb1100-priced-at-9999/

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/111212top-i2-730x530.jpg

Dayze
06-08-2013, 06:20 PM
That is so sweet. Simple. Would be fun as hell

Ace Gunner
06-08-2013, 06:36 PM
for the "different strokes" cyclist

Radial engine motorcyle
http://thekneeslider.com/images/radialbike.jpg

Tank Bike
http://thekneeslider.com/images/kettenkrad.jpg

BroncoDork
06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
1979 Honda CBX FTW.

Straight Six, 1050CC. Six cylinders, six carbs, 8200 redline, zero to 100 and back again in less than 10 seconds. Unmistakable engine note, like a Ferrari V12.

PornChief
06-09-2013, 01:58 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OmCYy3gXBIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PornChief
06-09-2013, 02:10 AM
1979 Honda CBX FTW.

Straight Six, 1050CC. Six cylinders, six carbs, 8200 redline, zero to 100 and back again in less than 10 seconds. Unmistakable engine note, like a Ferrari V12.

Did you seriously compare a Honda to a Ferrari, sir?

jjjayb
06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
1979 Honda CBX FTW.

My dad had one of these when I was a teenager. Very cool bike.

jjjayb
06-09-2013, 07:50 AM

I used to have a KZ 750. Descent bike.

sfchief
06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
My next project
Based on Honda XL

Thig Lyfe
06-09-2013, 11:55 AM
what are some cool motorcycles

TheUte
06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/gooeyballzz/mc%20stuff/P9121175.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/gooeyballzz/media/mc%20stuff/P9121175.jpg.html)

I ride a 2009 street glide and the wife rides a 2008 Road King.

Been all over, nothing like a road trip on the bikes.

BIG_DADDY
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Anyone been watching Isle of Mann? Crazy ****ers.

That was the one thing I wanted to do with my dad when he was still able and didn't get it done. I will take my son when he is a little older. There is a lot of great footage on youtube. I hate it when they play music instead of letting you hear the bikes though. Good stuff.

BIG_DADDY
06-09-2013, 01:51 PM
what are some cool motorcycles

If I ever go back on the track I sure would like to pick up one those BMW HP4s. What an amazing bike. http://youtu.be/Rg2GFMpP5WY

stevieray
06-09-2013, 05:20 PM
....love the new CB.. matte black all over that bike would be sweet....disappointed they stuck with 140 for the rear...UGH.

Dayze
06-09-2013, 08:41 PM
That was the one thing I wanted to do with my dad when he was still able and didn't get it done. I will take my son when he is a little older. There is a lot of great footage on youtube. I hate it when they play music instead of letting you hear the bikes though. Good stuff.

No doubt. Fucking up a perfectly good engine sound with music,

Dayze
06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
....love the new CB.. matte black all over that bike would be sweet....disappointed they stuck with 140 for the rear...UGH.

Rock an extended swing arm and a 280.

Lzen
06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
In response to the thread header:

I ride a 2005 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe.
Previous bike was a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero
Frenquently check your tire air pressure
Next bike will most likely be a Heritage Softail
Topeka Harley Davidson was very good to deal with when looking at my first HD last year.

I'll post pics later.

Lzen
06-19-2013, 02:12 PM

Fine, you don't want to take the risk. That's your choice and nobody will judge you. But why even post in a thread about motorcycles?

Lzen
06-19-2013, 02:43 PM
2004 hd fatboy 7k miles

when I was younger I had a Kawasaki kz650...it's a wonder I wasn't killed on that thing.

I had my hd in the shop to get the oil changed, etc, when a big storm came through town and blew the roof off the place. I went by to check on the bike. guy told me it was still in the shed out back and it was ok, since only a couple pieces of tin blew off that roof. so, they call me a couple days later, saying it was done. picked it up and took it home. last night I went to get on it for a short ride and noticed a chip on the front fender about the size of my fingernail. i'm pissed. don't think there's much sense in calling and bitching since I've had it home a couple days now, but shit...:mad:

sec

You should definitely go back and tell them to fix that. They got insurance.

seclark
06-19-2013, 02:47 PM

you think? I had it home for 2 days before I noticed it. it's been a couple weeks now.
i'm not very good at raising hell anymore.
sec

Lzen
06-19-2013, 02:53 PM
you think? I had it home for 2 days before I noticed it. it's been a couple weeks now.
i'm not very good at raising hell anymore.
sec

You don't have to raise Hell. You should just politely explain to them that you didn't notice it until a couple days later. And then remind them that you are a good customer and hope they choose to do the right thing.

Lzen
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
My bikes. 2005 Honda Shadow Aero. Traded that in last year on my 2005 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe.

SAUTO
06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
You don't have to raise Hell. You should just politely explain to them that you didn't notice it until a couple days later. And then remind them that you are a good customer and hope they choose to do the right thing.

Exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-19-2013, 06:03 PM

They would most likely not turn it in. Just pay for it.

I had a customer's car hit by a kid with no insurance while at my shop. I got it fixed for the customer and just paid for it out of my pocket . it was the right thing to do
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Usually in that situation its good to have a working relationship with a body shop.

The hit isn't as hard.
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
SO I have a 2007 bike that I put 20k miles on in the first season I owned it (bought it new)

The bike sits now in my garage, with about 22k miles on it (have bought and rode other bikes while it sat)

Sitting for literally 3 years and 8 months, fired up on the first try and ran no problem. Battery is coming from the internet, just need a taillight and it is ready to pass inspection and be licensed.

Only thing I did to store it was put stabil in the gas tank, and turn off the petcock.

Dayze
07-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Blasphemy.
Boys and girls, here's what not to do to a piece of Italian machinery.

http://images.traderonline.com/img/5/plcnad/8099080/110566728_1.jpg

JFC

Tombstone RJ
07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Blasphemy.

JFC

lol, is that a Ducati?

Dayze
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
yes.
:banghead::facepalm::deevee:

Radar Chief
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
yes.
:banghead::facepalm::deevee:

If that were built to compete in a certain class of racing I’d say it looks pretty good but I’m betting it isn’t and some confused person built it because they think it looks pimp.

Dayze
07-09-2013, 10:12 AM
very confused. I agree.
do that chit with a Suzuki. like putting 22" rims on a Ferrari.

Ace Gunner
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Blasphemy.

JFC

the builder of that bike should be given cement shoes from brother guido

Dayze
07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
lol. No shit.
I mean, custom bikes look cool, but not a GD Ducati. JFC.
I wouldn't pay $50 for that thing.

seaofred
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Ok, I have a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. I'm thinking about debaffling it this weekend. Has anyone here ever done it? Pro's? Con's? Tips?

Dayze
07-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Ok, I have a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. I'm thinking about debaffling it this weekend. Has anyone here ever done it? Pro's? Con's? Tips?

I've done it on a sport bike.
not too hard.

one thing is to consider if it'll run a little lean as a result. usually, however, they come a little rich from the factory so no need for a fuel commander / etc.

seaofred
07-09-2013, 12:02 PM
I've done it on a sport bike.
not too hard.

one thing is to consider if it'll run a little lean as a result. usually, however, they come a little rich from the factory so no need for a fuel commander / etc.

Did it really change the sound enough to justify it?

Pasta Little Brioni
07-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I stole a sweet laptop last night....

Radar Chief
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM

How do you plan to do this?
You realize this will make it obnoxiously loud?

seaofred
07-09-2013, 12:29 PM

I plan on cutting them out. I've read a "how too" online. Do you know from experience that it will make it obnoxiously loud or are you just assuming that?

Radar Chief
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
I plan on cutting them out. I've read a "how too" online. Do you know from experience that it will make it obnoxiously loud or are you just assuming that?

Experience on 4 bangers not v-twins. I’m like Dayze, my riding/wrenching has mostly been with sport bikes.

Dayze
07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Did it really change the sound enough to justify it?

eh..it was ok. Not as good as when I replaced the actual can (stock) with aftermarket. Not sure on a cruiser

I know on Ducati's removing baffles from some after market cans sounds kick ass. Like,....super kick ass.

frankotank
07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I'd love to have a road king...but can't afford it.
I started with a 1983 yamaha virago 500.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20C/Yamaha%20XV500%20Virago.jpg

after a few years I moved on to a 1985 magna 700.

http://images04.olx.com/ui/6/42/69/1277997548_102863369_4-1985-Honda-Magna-700cc-Vehicles-1277997548.jpg

I'm currently riding 02 shadow sabre.
don't have any pics...but this is it almost exactly.
I have cobra shotgun pipes on it with a mustang seat as pictured and same saddle bags pictured. also added a windshield and highway pegs

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKjlt9Cj4salup81KmuM1daU8egYC8emC2OUhW1S21yrg1J5E-

these look like my pipes...but the saddle bags and seat aren't the same.
but this is my bike basically sans cushy mustang seat and highway pegs.

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/johnsoncountykawasaki/VP1982265_1.jpg

this one has my pipes but no bags.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3119/3097454952_211dac3e93.jpg

it's a good bike. plenty of power for two. never had to do a thing to it other than tires and oil. got 25k on it so far.

frankotank
07-09-2013, 12:51 PM
so...question for you baggers with a cushy ride...like a road king or similar...

I can ride about an hour...maybe hour and a half....and I'm ready to get OFF that dang thing. I wonder......would a road king make much difference? would it be so much more comfortable that I wouldn't be wanting off after an hour or so.....or......am I just a wimp?

Dayze
07-09-2013, 12:55 PM
so...question for you baggers with a cushy ride...like a road king or similar...

I can ride about an hour...maybe hour and a half....and I'm ready to get OFF that dang thing. I wonder......would a road king make much difference? would it be so much more comfortable that I wouldn't be wanting off after an hour or so.....or......am I just a wimp?

I HUGE part is the seat. Beyond that, (From a comfort standpoint), you're looking at peg/foot distance; same with the bars.
If you're hands get numb, you can get some gloves with Gel padding in them.

but, 99% of it is the seat. I had the same deal on my Vstar; stock seat kicked my ass. switch to an aftermarket (can't recall the brand...maybe Corbin) and I could easily burn an entire tank of gas in a ride.

Graystoke
07-09-2013, 12:57 PM

I don't think your a wimp.
I rode 350 Miles on July 3rd down to Missouri to get fireworks on my Triumph Tiger 800 XC. By the time I got back to Iowa I felt like I had been running a Weed Eater all day.

On a side Note:
Man I want a Norton Commando. Been looking.
http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/norton_commando_750_combat.jpg

Radar Chief
07-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I HUGE part is the seat. Beyond that, (From a comfort standpoint), you're looking at peg/foot distance; same with the bars.
If you're hands get numb, you can get some gloves with Gel padding in them.

I used to get CTS in my throttle hand bad. Installing a “cruise control” throttle clip eliminated it as an issue, just being able to occasionally take my right hand off the bar and move it around was enough.

Dayze
07-09-2013, 01:00 PM
I used to get CTS in my throttle hand bad. Installing a “cruise control” throttle clip eliminated it as an issue, just being able to occasionally take my right hand off the bar and move it around was enough.

yep; I forgot about those. those work great too.

BIG_DADDY
07-09-2013, 01:01 PM

I gotta get that done. I need different gloves as well.

frankotank
07-09-2013, 01:02 PM

I had a throttle lock on my magna. it was nice to be able to chill that right hand.
you know....my sabre doesn't really vibrate my hands much. and the mustang seat really is comfy. it's nice to be able to put my feet up on the highway pegs for a change of position....... but man...you crazy bastards riding all the way to sturgis and shit....that's just NUTS.

hometeam
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I put my 07 zzr600 on craigslist this morning.

Sold in an hour.

allen_kcCard
07-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I put my 07 zzr600 on craigslist this morning.

Sold in an hour.

Dang...how much was it? I would love to find a good deal on a good motorcycle, but I typically don't know a good deal when I see one because I don't know the names/models well enough. Gas to work is kicking my ass and I'd love to get a bike and get comfortable enough with it to start saving on some gas $$.

EDIT: Ah, just googled 07 zzr600 to see, and I'm looking for a bigger one instead of the sporty ones like that. Still curious what something like yours would go for though.

seaofred
07-15-2013, 07:16 AM

Well, I debaffled it this weekend. Didn't make in really loud, but made the tone a lot deeper. I've got to say, I really like the sound of it now.

Dayze
07-15-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't think your a wimp.
I rode 350 Miles on July 3rd down to Missouri to get fireworks on my Triumph Tiger 800 XC. By the time I got back to Iowa I felt like I had been running a Weed Eater all day.

On a side Note:
Man I want a Norton Commando. Been looking.
http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/norton_commando_750_combat.jpg

sweet.
man, I wish Ducati still made their sport classic 1100 etc. I don't "think" they still do. I saw a black one up close and personal at a bike/coffee hangout. Sounded unreal, looked amazing. I would love to own one.
http://www.motoessence.com/forumfotos/duc_sport1000.jpg
http://fivesgear.com/pics/Ducati/34/15/6869_Ducati-Sport-1000_9.jpg

Radar Chief
07-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Well, I debaffled it this weekend. Didn't make in really loud, but made the tone a lot deeper. I've got to say, I really like the sound of it now.

:thumb: Glad it worked out for you.

Radar Chief
07-15-2013, 07:49 AM
sweet.
man, I wish Ducati still made their sport classic 1100 etc. I don't "think" they still do. I saw a black one up close and personal at a bike/coffee hangout. Sounded unreal, looked amazing. I would love to own one.

:thumb: Sweet.

IMO the sexiest Duc ever made was the 888 SPO.

http://i39.tinypic.com/105v2nr.jpg

Dayze
07-15-2013, 07:55 AM
yeah, those are slick.

I love the redesign ('08 I think) of the super bikes. The new 848 and 1098 are sweet looking.

I love them all though lol

Dayze
07-15-2013, 07:56 AM
you could always get the Desmosedici; ...only run you about $45k.

:D
http://images.traderonline.com/img/5/dealer/7731458/109608335_1thumb_770x574.jpg

Graystoke
07-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Anybody know anything about BSA's?

This one was listed down the road. Seems way overpriced.

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/3928633809.html

Ace Gunner
07-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Anybody know anything about BSA's?

This one was listed down the road. Seems way overpriced.

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/3928633809.html

oh, that is a collector's bike. It really won't ever lose value unless you abuse it.

Chief_For_Life58
07-15-2013, 10:41 AM
just bought a 2008 yamaha zuma 50cc to commute to work and gym on. fill up half a tank 2 bucks and it last me all week. california gas prices can suck ma D

Dayze
07-15-2013, 11:48 AM
lol sweet. I never fault anyone for what they ride. 2 wheels, you're good by me
screw em

Ace Gunner
07-15-2013, 11:51 AM
I used to zip around NYC on a honda 250cc scooter -- that thing was great fun and was freeway legal. for a scooter it could go and ya, like five weeks to the gallon :)

Lzen
07-15-2013, 12:14 PM
In response to the thread header:

I ride a 2005 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe.
Previous bike was a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero
Frenquently check your tire air pressure
Next bike will most likely be a Heritage Softail
Topeka Harley Davidson was very good to deal with when looking at my first HD last year.

I'll post pics later.

Well, I wasn't planning to buy a new bike but I did at the end of June.

But first, a pic of my first bike. 2005 Honda Shadow Aero with Cobra 2 to 1 pipes.

Lzen
07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
This was my first Harley. 2005 Softail Deluxe. Baffles were removed by a previous owner so it was plenty loud.

Lzen
07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
This is my new bike. 2013 Road King. Candy orange and beer bottle is the official name of the color scheme. Love it. This pic was taken before they put on Vance and Hines slip-ons, Big Sucker air cleaner, Kuryakyn computer tuner, quick detach sissy bar and backrest, and quick detach luggage rack. Yeah, this thing is made for cruising or traveling. Handles much better than the last bike, too. And cruise control is wonderful. :)

Chief_For_Life58
07-15-2013, 12:24 PM
This is my hog. almost 100mpg. she tops out just over 40. she rages

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Just broke 1000 miles on my new Fat Bob... love this bike... Only problem is it's the only DYNA model that has virtually no customization parts... that's frustrating.

Lprechaun
07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Being a smaller guy (under 6') I had bought a Yamaha R6/S. Quick responding torque bike.
Regretting selling it I am now looking more for a cruising bike. Im 5'6" and its tough to find a good looking cruiser where I dont feel dwarfed riding it.
Sat on a couple Triumphs Thruxton and Bonneville. Then I went and sat on a Harley 48. That will probably be my next bike for casual rides to the beach, a yearly trip to the keys and a couple days a month to work

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2013, 06:00 PM
sweet.

love the retro styling of this bike, it has that classic cafe racer look.

Saccopoo
07-15-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm saving up for one of these (still can't make up my mind on which one I like the best):

http://silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/R131-Fighter-Confederate.jpg

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/778/media/images/2009_Confederate_B120_Wraith_620867.jpg

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/motorcycles/various-motorcycles/confederate-f113-hellcat-2006.gif

http://cdn.brosome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Confederate-X132-Hellcat-Combat-Motorcycle-9.jpg

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm saving up for one of these (still can't make up my mind on which one I like the best):

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/778/media/images/2009_Confederate_B120_Wraith_620867.jpg

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/motorcycles/various-motorcycles/confederate-f113-hellcat-2006.gif

http://cdn.brosome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Confederate-X132-Hellcat-Combat-Motorcycle-9.jpg

love Confederate bikes. Minimum $50k and all the way up to $100k. Hand built, powerful, loud, in your face.

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.13choppers.com/page7/page9/files/page9-1002-full.jpg

2bikemike
07-15-2013, 08:30 PM
My Motorcycle Advice for the Day: Keep it under 300MPH!

RIP Bill Warner!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-15/motorcycle-racer-killed-in-runway-crash-trying-to-exceed-300-mph.html

Motorcycle Racer Killed in Runway Crash Trying to Exceed 300 MPHMotorcycle racer Bill Warner died while attempting to become the first person to exceed 300 miles per hour (483 kilometers per hour) over one mile on a conventional motorcycle. He was 44.

Warner had reached 296 mph during a previous run before losing control and crashing off a paved runway yesterday at the former Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, Maine. Warner was conscious following the accident, though he died at a local hospital about an hour and 15 minutes later, said Tim Kelly, the race director for the land speed competition known as The Maine Event.

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
This is my hog. almost 100mpg. she tops out just over 40. she rages

so I had a bad day on my bad motor scooter:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6w1lx8sT1ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
all I gotta say is where the fuk did that hole come from?!?!

frankotank
07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
This is my new bike. 2013 Road King. Candy orange and beer bottle is the official name of the color scheme. Love it. This pic was taken before they put on Vance and Hines slip-ons, Big Sucker air cleaner, Kuryakyn computer tuner, quick detach sissy bar and backrest, and quick detach luggage rack. Yeah, this thing is made for cruising or traveling. Handles much better than the last bike, too. And cruise control is wonderful. :)

no only is your old bike mucho like what I'm riding now (post 142)....but you just bought what I want. that bike is BAD ASS! good on ya.

I'll bet my helmet is cooler than yours though! :D

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=1382
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=1383

GO BLUE!

PS - I've had this for years and I almost NEVER see other helmets painted to match a team. it's a GREAT idea.....and nobody does it.

Ace Gunner
07-16-2013, 12:22 PM

hog alert :D

nice ride

Ace Gunner
07-16-2013, 12:25 PM

take my advice -- buy 'em all one at a time :D

Chief_For_Life58
07-16-2013, 12:26 PM
all I gotta say is where the fuk did that hole come from?!?!

wtf he had to be drunk or something haha that was funny

Ace Gunner
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
so I had a bad day on my bad motor scooter:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6w1lx8sT1ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p

drunk much ROFL

Tombstone RJ
07-16-2013, 12:32 PM
wtf he had to be drunk or something haha that was funny

you'd think that after slamming face first into a truck, he'd call it a day, right? But no, it ain't over until he superman's into the pit. I've haven't laugh so hard in a while until I watched this vid. It's just like, wow. :clap:

Chief_For_Life58
07-16-2013, 02:01 PM
lol ya note to self, dont ride scooter in highly populated construction areas while wasted

BIG_DADDY
07-16-2013, 04:04 PM
What do you guys use to bead your shield? This early morning mountain fog is killing me.

seaofred
07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
What do you guys use to bead your shield? This early morning mountain fog is killing me.

RainEx Fog.

BIG_DADDY
07-16-2013, 04:23 PM
RainEx Fog.

Thanks, Somebody was telling about something called plexus? Have to do my due diligence

frankotank
07-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks, Somebody was telling about something called plexus? Have to do my due diligence

I use Plexus...but it's expensive. gonna keep the rainex version in mind when my Plexus runs out.

Lzen
07-17-2013, 07:35 AM
no only is your old bike mucho like what I'm riding now (post 142)....but you just bought what I want. that bike is BAD ASS! good on ya.

I'll bet my helmet is cooler than yours though! :D

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=1382
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=1383

GO BLUE!

PS - I've had this for years and I almost NEVER see other helmets painted to match a team. it's a GREAT idea.....and nobody does it.

Well, I suppose if you like Michigan it's a cool helmet. I wouldn't be opposed to wearing a KU helmet if they made one. Here is my current helmet. The wife thinks is ugly. :evil:

frankotank
07-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, I suppose if you like Michigan it's a cool helmet. I wouldn't be opposed to wearing a KU helmet if they made one. Here is my current helmet. The wife thinks is ugly. :evil:

that's pretty cool.
I spent 80 bucks to get that helmet painted.
just surprised me I don't see more. I've seen a Mizzou one and I've seen a Nebraska one....but that's it.
it's a cool idea if you have a football team you root for...cause...you know....it's a HELMET!

BIG_DADDY
07-17-2013, 08:57 AM
I use Plexus...but it's expensive. gonna keep the rainex version in mind when my Plexus runs out.

I ordered Plexus yesterday. Read somewhere that rainex isn't the best on plastic. Ordered a new shield too.

Radar Chief
07-17-2013, 09:17 AM

that's pretty cool.
I spent 80 bucks to get that helmet painted.
just surprised me I don't see more. I've seen a Mizzou one and I've seen a Nebraska one....but that's it.
it's a cool idea if you have a football team you root for...cause...you know....it's a HELMET!

Valentino Rossi wore this for a MotoGP race, said he had it painted like that because during a race he is actually yelling in his helmet like that.

http://i43.tinypic.com/rhomyc.jpg

seaofred
08-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Really wanting to get an aftermarket seat for my 2007 Vulcan. Anyone know of a cheap place to get one?

jd1020
08-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Really wanting to get an aftermarket seat for my 2007 Vulcan. Anyone know of a cheap place to get one?

This guy gets pretty good reviews for his custom seats and has been featured in rider magazine...

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

You send in your stock seat and he replaces the foam and reshapes it to how you ride.

Dayze
08-02-2013, 01:07 PM
on the way to work today, I saw a HD Street glide in the grass median around 69hwy and 119th. I drove by (traffic down to one lane), and a wrecker was pulling out the mangled HD (covered in grass/sod chunks etc). I only saw two cars on the opposite North Bound lanes pulled over. both of them talking with police etc.

Not sure what happened. All I know is a fresh rain after a few days of dry weather is the worst time to ride.

Hope the rider was ok. I didn't see him on the scene so he may have already been taken away.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
on the way to work today, I saw a HD Street glide in the grass median around 69hwy and 119th. I drove by (traffic down to one lane), and a wrecker was pulling out the mangled HD (covered in grass/sod chunks etc). I only saw two cars on the opposite North Bound lanes pulled over. both of them talking with police etc.

Not sure what happened. All I know is a fresh rain after a few days of dry weather is the worst time to ride.

Hope the rider was ok. I didn't see him on the scene so he may have already been taken away.

In Oakland today they had a bike go down and then some a-hole in a black SUV came around the corner on 3rd street and lost control at approximately 90 MPH and flipped landing right on the guy who wrecked his bike. Unbelievable.

Had another texting Chinese kid come right at me when I was just maintain my lane again. Worst thing was just like the last after almost taking me out he resumes texting. I need to get me some steelies again.

Dayze
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
In Oakland today they had a bike go down and then some a-hole in a black SUV came around the corner on 3rd street and lost control at approximately 90 MPH and flipped landing right on the guy who wrecked his bike. Unbelievable.

Had another texting Chinese kid come right at me when I was just maintain my lane again. Worst thing was just like the last after almost taking me out he resumes texting. I need to get me some steelies again.

:evil:
I hosed up a chicks mirror when she was texting and came over into my lane from the left. I swatted her mirror like I was playing wack a mole at the county fair. screwed that mirror up.

I firmly believe you should be ticketed if looking at your phone while driving/if a cop sees it or whatever.

Graystoke
08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I hosed up a chicks mirror when she was texting and came over into my lane from the left. I swatted her mirror like I was playing wack a mole at the county fair. screwed that mirror up.

I firmly believe you should be ticketed if looking at your phone while driving/if a cop sees it or whatever.

This!
Its almost worse then a drunk driver. Same thing happened to me earlier in the week. I just looked at her like WTF? Shaking my head.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Yea that's probably a lot safer than my old steelies dealio.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Sure wish I knew what they are going to do with the ZX14 next. I can't find any information on it at all, not even a rumor.

seaofred
08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
This guy gets pretty good reviews for his custom seats and has been featured in rider magazine...

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

You send in your stock seat and he replaces the foam and reshapes it to how you ride.

Thanks, but I was really wanting one that doesn't look like the stock one. Really wanting to change to a solo seat.

jd1020
08-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks, but I was really wanting one that doesn't look like the stock one. Really wanting to change to a solo seat.

Then you're probably going to want to keep your eyes on ebay and craigslist for a used corbin or something, because they dont come cheap new.

Dayze
08-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Sure wish I knew what they are going to do with the ZX14 next. I can't find any information on it at all, not even a rumor.

:hmmm:
come to think of it, I haven't heard either.

BIG_DADDY
08-02-2013, 03:06 PM
:hmmm:
come to think of it, I haven't heard either.

I put miles on my bikes pretty quick. I might flip this one for a new one in the spring. I really want to see what they are going to do though so I know whether I want to throw a Brocks alien head on this one or hold off and put one on the new one. Those suckers are expensive. I usually look for something that somebody else has already thrown their bank book at but I was not walking away from this one for 6k with 8k miles on it in mint condition. I could flip it right now and get 7500 easy.

Ace Gunner
08-25-2013, 01:36 PM
I used to like "trials competition" when I was young -- these guys look like they're having fun. for those who arent familiar -- the objective is to complete an abstract course with as few touches to the ground by boot as possible
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/PWIbOj0GbOw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/PWIbOj0GbOw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Psyko Tek
08-25-2013, 02:20 PM

sorry donger, we don't wave at scooters

Dayze
08-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Interesting, Scooters are definitely a great option for quick and cheap commuting. But I'm surprised at the price point for that. You could get a great motorcycle for way less than that.

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Saw an ad for Indian Motorcycles last night and thought of this topic.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/home

I’m surprised only in that there have been many attempts to resurrect the Indian name that all flamed out into nothing more than Indian logo adorned apparel.
Glad to see they finally got the backing necessary to make it happen. :toast:

Dayze
09-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I've been waivering back and forth about getting another bike. if I do, I really think it'll either be a Bobber style, or a Ducati Monster. I know, two ends of the spectrum, but they've always appealed to me. Both would kick ass in their own way.

Graystoke
09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
I've been waivering back and forth about getting another bike. if I do, I really think it'll either be a Bobber style, or a Ducati Monster. I know, two ends of the spectrum, but they've always appealed to me. Both would kick ass in their own way.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa....DUCATI!

Dayze
09-11-2013, 11:53 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa....DUCATI!

yeah. a Duc has been my dream. I used to want the 748, 998, etc. but I'm too old and don't want to go to jail lol

I test rode the Monster 698 and 1100, and both were kick ass. That 1100....whoa. Torque, torque and more torque. Love the SR800 and 1000, priced pretty reasonable used. Wish they still made them.

I'll most certainly opt for a 2v/Cyl engine so I can check my valves and do any adjustments a lot easier.

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 12:23 PM

I’m just not a cruiser fan. Sure, I’m glad Indian is making a comeback but cruisers have just never appealed to me.

Dayze
09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I’m just not a cruiser fan. Sure, I’m glad Indian is making a comeback but cruisers have just never appealed to me.

Me either. I've owned one etc, and it was fun and all. But I like a little bit of a 'cool' factor to my bikes.

I want something similar to these.

http://www.usabobbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Harley-Davidson-XLH-1200C-Bobber-Motorcycle-650x433.jpg
http://astraone.com/wp-content/uploads/harley-sportster-bobber-jn434-2005-harleydavidson-sportster-xl883l-photo-3-2005-12551.jpg
http://databikes.com/imgs/a/b/a/m/e/harley_davidson__street_bob_bobber_2011_1_lgw.jpg
http://astraone.com/wp-content/uploads/harley-sportster-bobber-hd-sportster-bobber-style-66256-900x600.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IXG41TNarWs/SjZzg1_mi2I/AAAAAAAABdk/qcoyRWP3bcM/s400/maxmetal015.jpg
http://www.usabobbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Harley-Davidson-XLH-1200C-Bobber-Motorcycle.jpeg
http://www.feked.com/gallery/plog-content/images/classic-bikes/harley-davidson-motorcycles/bobber-1.jpg

frankotank
09-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Me either. I've owned one etc, and it was fun and all. But I like a little bit of a 'cool' factor to my bikes.

those really ARE cool! no doubt. I like some choppers too.....but.....
I need comfort.
I don't see much comfort in those pics. I ride to work 45 minutes one way, 1.5 hours a day. I need a cruiser!

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 12:42 PM

http://www.usabobbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Harley-Davidson-XLH-1200C-Bobber-Motorcycle-650x433.jpg

See, I would consider those all to be cruisers.
Of them I like this one the best. I like the blacked out look with bits of chrome here and there, like the pushrod tubes, that really pop against the black. I also like the “look” of the springer front and rigid rear but lets be honest, living with that bike would be a serious PITA. And that’s why I generally don’t care for cruisers, they’re more about a look than function.

frankotank
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Of them I like this one the best. I like the blacked out look with bits of chrome here and there, like the pushrod tubes, that really pop against the black. I also like the “look” of the springer front and rigid rear but lets be honest, living with that bike would be a serious PITA. And that’s why I generally don’t care for cruisers, they’re more about a look than function.

hmm. interesting.
I found this definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruiser_%28motorcycle%29

so....hmm....
maybe the correct terminology for ME would be a bagger? I have a 1100 Sabre and have always thought of it as a cruiser. but I guess that's not necessarily correct.....

Dayze
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Me too. I also like the blacked out.
If I got one it would definitely be a hop around town kind of bike. I'd also probably avoid the ridged rear.

Would probably go a Sportster 1200 route; raise the tank a bit. Put a skinny 21" front on (I 'think' it's a 21) with some white wall. Lower the rear a tad. Put on some mini-apes. And pretty much leave the rest alone. I don't think I'd enjoy a full-on true bobber (ridged frame etc).

Dayze
09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
hmm. interesting.
I found this definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruiser_%28motorcycle%29

so....hmm....
maybe the correct terminology for ME would be a bagger? I have a 1100 Sabre and have always thought of it as a cruiser. but I guess that's not necessarily correct.....

I always categorized a bike as a 'bagger' as one with hard cases and no passenger support/trunk.
Like the HD street-glide - I call that a bagger.

But, I suppose 'bagger' is subjective etc.

frankotank
09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Me too. I also like the blacked out.
If I got one it would definitely be a hop around town kind of bike. I'd also probably avoid the ridged rear.

Would probably go a Sportster 1200 route; raise the tank a bit. Put a skinny 21" front on (I 'think' it's a 21) with some white wall. Lower the rear a tad. Put on some mini-apes. And pretty much leave the rest alone. I don't think I'd enjoy a full-on true bobber (ridged frame etc).

dude! have you ever rode a 1200 Sportster? they are dogs. at least the one I rode was. at the time I was shopping I had a 700 magna.....and it would eat that 1200 alive!!! the 1100 Sabre I have no will also eat a sportser alive. I'm no mechanic...not by a long shot....so I thought 1200 > 700 therefore the sportser should have more get up n go than my magna. no.

Dayze
09-11-2013, 12:54 PM
dude! have you ever rode a 1200 Sportster? they are dogs. at least the one I rode was. at the time I was shopping I had a 700 magna.....and it would eat that 1200 alive!!! the 1100 Sabre I have no will also eat a sportser alive. I'm no mechanic...not by a long shot....so I thought 1200 > 700 therefore the sportser should have more get up n go than my magna. no.

I've heard that as well. Luckily this time around, I'm not all that concerned, and don't plan on any 2-up riding.

Nothing will compare to the past 2 sport bikes I've had lol. Those things make crazy power.

I had a V-Star 650 Custom about 8 years ago-ish, and liked it from a power perspective (sufficient). though, was a bit of a chore with 2-up in stop and go traffic, slipping the clutch etc. It also desperately needed either a taller 5th, or a 6th gear. That thing was hummin' on the highway at 70-75 etc. Great bike otherwise. Dirt cheap. I bought it from a husband of a chick my wife worked with at the time. He was constantly getting deployed and joked that every time he rode it, he got deployed etc. He sold if to me for $3500. and I sold it for $3300 about 3 years later. It only had 700 miles when I bought it.

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 01:10 PM

You’re also talking a 4 cylinder vs. a v-twin, 2 cylinder.

Dayze
09-11-2013, 01:11 PM
I had a CBR 600RR; only had 600ccs

...I did forget about the Sabre and 4 cylinders.

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I had a CBR 600RR; only had 600ccs

...I did forget about the Sabre and 4 cylinders.

Probably one of the craziest motorcycles I’ve ever ridden was back in the early ‘80’s when a friend had a Kawasaki H2, it was a 750 cc two stroke triple. He had bored and ported the cylinder and was running a high compression piston, IOW way too much motor for the chassis and brakes, and that thing was nuts. Acceleration was limited by how close you could keep the front wheel to the ground. Sounded like a chain saw on meth and would rather throw you off than let you ride a straight line on it.
IIRC it spit him off just before wrapping around a tree. Good thing too, if he’d ridden it much longer it would have eventually killed him.

Dayze
09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Probably one of the craziest motorcycles I’ve ever ridden was back in the early ‘80’s when a friend had a Kawasaki H2, it was a 750 cc two stroke triple. He had bored and ported the cylinder and was running a high compression piston, IOW way too much motor for the chassis and brakes, and that thing was nuts. Acceleration was limited by how close you could keep the front wheel to the ground. Sounded like a chain saw on meth and would rather throw you off than let you ride a straight line on it.
IIRC it spit him off just before wrapping around a tree. Good thing too, if he’d ridden it much longer it would have eventually killed him.

wow...a 750 two stroke !:eek: holy shit lol.

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 03:02 PM
wow...a 750 two stroke !:eek: holy shit lol.

Oh yea, the two stroke 3 cylinders were Kawasaki’s intro to the muscle bike market, back before the EPA started killing off street legal two strokes. They were the Saturday Night Special of motorcycling, cheap and deadly.

Radar Chief
09-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Oh yea, the two stroke 3 cylinders were Kawasaki’s intro to the muscle bike market, back before the EPA started killing off street legal two strokes. They were the Saturday Night Special of motorcycling, cheap and deadly.

From the Kawasaki Triple Wiki page:

The Kawasaki triples were a range of 250 cc to 750 cc motorcycles Kawasaki exported from 1969 to 1980. The engines were air-cooled, three-cylinder, two-stroke with two exhaust pipes exiting on the right side of the bike, and one on the left. Right from the first triple model, the 1969 Mach III H1 500cc, the motorcycle gained the record for being the quickest for its engine size. Despite having severe handling problems, the machines became extremely popular and fine examples command high prices by collectors today.

Model history

The first Kawasaki triple was the 500 cc H1 Mach III, introduced in late 1968.[1] The original H1 was unique for using a CDI ignition which operated through an automotive style distributor. The H1 offered a high power-to-weight ratio for the time, but had generally poor handling and weak drum brakes front and rear. It was the quickest production motorcycle at the time. When motorcycle journalists[which?] expressed disbelief, Kawasaki suggested they take a new H1 to a dragstrip. Using a regular production model with only 7 miles (11 kilometres) on it, Tony Nicosia, a Kawasaki test rider, ran the quarter mile (402 m) in 12.96 seconds at 100.7 miles per hour (162.1 kilometres per hour) for the press to witness. The official figure was 12.4 seconds by Mike Wenzel—quite believable on a well run in machine.[citation needed] Tony Nicosia set many world records with Kawasaki triples over the following years, including some[which?] land speed records at Bonneville Salt Flats.[citation needed]

In 1972, the 750 cc Kawasaki H2 Mach IV was introduced and was essentially a scaled-up version of the H1 500.[2] A stock H2 was rated at 12.0 seconds for the quarter mile (402 m). Updated with more power and better front disc brakes, the H2 became the undisputed king of the streets,[clarification needed] even beating legendary muscle cars of the era such as the Plymouth Hemi Cuda. It was notoriously dangerous, being prone to up-and-over wheelies and speed wobbles. The dangerous handling characteristics arising from its mediocre frame design caused it to be nicknamed the "Widowmaker" by motorcycle enthusiasts of the 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_triple

Graystoke
09-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Those Kaw Mach III's were incredible.
Saw one on Craigslist here in Iowa the other day. Said it was mint and wanted $6500. By the time I called it was sold. I thought that price was way high.

Like the color scheme though.
http://www.motoinfo.it/public/images/scheda/Kawasaki-500-MACHIII-1974-l.jpg

Radar Chief
09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Those Kaw Mach III's were incredible.
Saw one on Craigslist here in Iowa the other day. Said it was mint and wanted $6500. By the time I called it was sold. I thought that price was way high.

Like the color scheme though.
http://www.motoinfo.it/public/images/scheda/Kawasaki-500-MACHIII-1974-l.jpg

I’ve ridden more powerful bikes, ridden much quicker/faster bikes, but I've ridden very few as intensely psychotic as that old motorcycling buddies H2.
I see him every once in a while, we still talk about that thing.

Ace Gunner
09-12-2013, 02:40 PM
The Kawasaki 500 Mach III was a badass bike for it's time. here's a cool timeline page;

http://www.motorshopdemammoet.com/kawasaki_history.htm

Lzen
09-12-2013, 02:58 PM
A trooper of all drivers. :shake: I wonder if he was texting.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/state/caught-on-camera-ohio-highway-patrol-trooper-hits-flips-motorcyle-and-riders

Ace Gunner
09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/state/caught-on-camera-ohio-highway-patrol-trooper-hits-flips-motorcyle-and-riders

wow. maybe a medical condition? or fell asleep?

Dayze
09-12-2013, 03:21 PM
holy crap.

frankotank
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM

that's just ****ing SICKENING!
I am always always ALWAYS watching out for the other guy. I'll be damned if I won't forEVER more be looking in my rear view a HELLUVA lot MORE.
I shit you not. thanks for posting that. damn.....

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Yea, they were very cool.

frankotank
09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
You’re also talking a 4 cylinder vs. a v-twin, 2 cylinder.

well see there ya go. I am soooooo unmechanically knowledgeable it's embarrassing...but at least I'm honest about it.

my first bike was a 500 virago. I was much smaller then! it was OK for a starter, but it could barely run down the highway at 65. my brother had a Suzuki GS550E. we'd take off and I'd always smoke him off the line. but a mile down the road he'd blow by me like I was standing still. anyways I thought it was kinda weird that his was such a dog at the start yet it could run 75 down the hwy easy. so my dad starts looking at it and determines it's running on only 2 of 4 cylinders or 4 of 8 valves...or some shit like that (told you I'm totally not mechanical). apparently it'd run on half it's capability at low speed and open up at high speed. I came home the next day and my dad is white as a sheet. he'd taken the bike on a few test runs and then tweaked something or other it and took it out again and it scared the shit out of him. it was a dog no longer. no more smokin him off the line. that old thing would move. I'm guessing even though I had a 500 to his 550, he prolly had twice the power mine had.
first time I drove it was pretty damn close to the day I got rid of my 500 virago. there was just no comparison.

Fansy the Famous Bard
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Went to the Abate Labor Day Rally out at Lake Perry this year.

Great ****ing time.

Saccopoo
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
well see there ya go. I am soooooo unmechanically knowledgeable it's embarrassing...but at least I'm honest about it.

my first bike was a 500 virago. I was much smaller then! it was OK for a starter, but it could barely run down the highway at 65. my brother had a Suzuki GS550E. we'd take off and I'd always smoke him off the line. but a mile down the road he'd blow by me like I was standing still. anyways I thought it was kinda weird that his was such a dog at the start yet it could run 75 down the hwy easy. so my dad starts looking at it and determines it's running on only 2 of 4 cylinders or 4 of 8 valves...or some shit like that (told you I'm totally not mechanical). apparently it'd run on half it's capability at low speed and open up at high speed. I came home the next day and my dad is white as a sheet. he'd taken the bike on a few test runs and then tweaked something or other it and took it out again and it scared the shit out of him. it was a dog no longer. no more smokin him off the line. that old thing would move. I'm guessing even though I had a 500 to his 550, he prolly had twice the power mine had.
first time I drove it was pretty damn close to the day I got rid of my 500 virago. there was just no comparison.

If you could smoke anything off the line with a Virago, then there was obviously something wrong with the other bike. The Virago might have been the slowest motorcycle ever produced.

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 10:58 AM
If you could smoke anything off the line with a Virago, then there was obviously something wrong with the other bike. .

LMAO Truth

Radar Chief
09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
If you could smoke anything off the line with a Virago, then there was obviously something wrong with the other bike. The Virago might have been the slowest motorcycle ever produced.

That would be the Honda Twin Star 200.
It’s what I took Cycle Ed on.
We called it “hillbilly cruise control” because going down the highway you could pin the throttle and not worry about doing more than about 55-60 MPH.

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
My bike has been in the shop for over two weeks now because my headlights went out and I am blowing fuses. I don't know why the manufacturers don't spend a few more $$$$ on the electrical on these bikes. I can't remember the last bike I didn't have this problem with. Missed a lot of good riding.

frankotank
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
My bike has been in the shop for over two weeks now because my headlights went out and I am blowing fuses. I don't know why the manufacturers don't spend a few more $$$$ on the electrical on these bikes. I can't remember the last bike I didn't have this problem with. Missed a lot of good riding.

I have never fixed one single thing on my 02 shadow sabre. not one thing!
oil and rubber. that sob starts every damn time.

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I have never fixed one single thing on my 02 shadow sabre. not one thing!
oil and rubber. that sob starts every damn time.

Unfortunately the 02 shadow sabre is not on my most wanted list. :D

Graystoke
09-13-2013, 12:44 PM

What kind of bike is that in your avatar?

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
What kind of bike is that in your avatar?

ZX-14

Radar Chief
09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
ZX-14

Ricky Gadson got into the 8’s on a stock ZX-14.

Graystoke
09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
ZX-14

Thats what I thought. Fast ass bike. They have a good fuel capacity as well.

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Ricky Gadson got into the 8’s on a stock ZX-14.

The bike is perfect for me being a bigger guy. It has all the speed I need and then some. It's comfortable for up to like 4+ hours of riding which is all I need unless I am doing a long trip. It has great handling too for anything short of the track. The bike I am intrigued by at the moment is the BMW R 1200 GS. For the most part I see myself on a ZX-14 for sometime and then maybe adding something to it. My dirt bike is a KTM 380 MXC.

Graystoke
09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
The bike is perfect for me being a bigger guy. It has all the speed I need and then some. It's comfortable for up to like 4+ hours of riding which is all I need unless I am doing a long trip. It has great handling too for anything short of the track. The bike I am intrigued by at the moment is the BMW R 1200 GS. For the most part I see myself on a ZX-14 for sometime and then maybe adding something to it. My dirt bike is a KTM 380 MXC.

I like those BMW Adventure Bikes. I looked at the F 800 GS but ended up with the Tiger 800 XC.

BIG_DADDY
09-13-2013, 01:35 PM
I like those BMW Adventure Bikes. I looked at the F 800 GS but ended up with the Tiger 800 XC.

How do you like it?

Graystoke
09-13-2013, 01:41 PM
How do you like it?

I like it a lot. Very elastic bike. The Three Cylinder runs like a dream and the bike handles very good. It has been very dependable
The longest day I have put on it was 7 hours, and it nearly killed me. I felt like I had been running a weed eater all day.
I do a lot of Gravel Roads and Fire Roads. Use it mainly as a tool to go trout fishing in the Northeastern region of Iowa and into Wisconsin.
If I planned on going to Alaska or something like that..it would not be on this bike.

Dayze
09-13-2013, 02:19 PM
....I'm spying a local Bobber.

frankotank
09-13-2013, 02:33 PM

sigh....yeah I know....
poor mans Harley.

I do like it though. plenty of power for two riders at 75-80.