PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Any RO system gurus out there?

Buehler445
06-13-2013, 10:09 AM
The RO system in my house has been decreasing in capacity for awhile. I thought we were getting restriction from the filters, so I changed them all, including the membrane and it didn't help much. This leads me to believe it is the holding tank causing us problems.

Is the tank like a pressure tank on a well? It's kind of acting like it needs more air to create pressure, but the pressure tanks I've been around have a valve stem that you can just pump more air into, and I don't see anything like that on my holding tank.

What are my options here? I don't really want to call anybody until I have a better idea of what's going on.

Imon Yourside
06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
The RO system in my house has been decreasing in capacity for awhile. I thought we were getting restriction from the filters, so I changed them all, including the membrane and it didn't help much. This leads me to believe it is the holding tank causing us problems.

Is the tank like a pressure tank on a well? It's kind of acting like it needs more air to create pressure, but the pressure tanks I've been around have a valve stem that you can just pump more air into, and I don't see anything like that on my holding tank.

What are my options here? I don't really want to call anybody until I have a better idea of what's going on.

Distill that shit.

Buehler445
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
No.

Imon Yourside
06-13-2013, 10:38 AM
I just removed my RO system because the filters were too hard to find/expensive.

Buehler445
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I just removed my RO system because the filters were too hard to find/expensive.

Mine aren't bad. You can't distill our water because of the nitrates.

HIChief
06-13-2013, 05:39 PM
How's the high pressure pump discharge pressure? Is it within spec?

Ace Gunner
06-13-2013, 06:13 PM
do you have a pump on that? you need at least 75lbs pressure or you will make a lot less RO using those systems.

membranes last a few years. filters vary depending on size and type, but they should come with info.

You need to use that system a few times per week or those filters will fail due to the chloramine in tap water.

Ace Gunner
06-13-2013, 06:19 PM

been using these guys for years now and you can just call them and they will tell you exactly what to get. their stuff is decent gear and affordable, the water is always good and there is a gizmo on both input and output that you can use to check the unit's effeciency;

http://thefilterguys.biz/

Buehler445
06-13-2013, 07:18 PM
How's the high pressure pump discharge pressure? Is it within spec?

I don't have a pump.

do you have a pump on that? you need at least 75lbs pressure or you will make a lot less RO using those systems.

membranes last a few years. filters vary depending on size and type, but they should come with info.

You need to use that system a few times per week or those filters will fail due to the chloramine in tap water.

No pump. I replace the filters yearly like they are supposed to and the membrane had been there awhile. I use the water every day.

Ace Gunner
06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
this guy says you need to repressurize the tank;
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dMtkoahZ6N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace Gunner
06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
it's been awhile since I've messed with these units -- after reviewing your OP I think you need to replace that tank because the bladder is no longer working properly.

here's a link to tanks;

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-32-reverse-osmosis-storage-tanks.aspx

plbrdude
06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
you should have a schrader valve on the tank, or tire valve. generally you'll run about 6psi in the tank which is sufficient to push the water out of the ro faucet.