PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone have a Sleep Number bed?

The Bad Guy
06-17-2013, 07:29 PM
I bought this awful mattress 2 years ago and I haven't slept right in about 6 months. Bed sleeps way too hot and I can't ever get comfortable. Filed a warranty claim, the guy who came out said the bed was defective but the company won't do anything because the sagging in the mattress is 2 tenths of an inch off.

So I'm in the market for a new mattress and I'm trying to read up on Sleep Number. Anyone have one and can provide some insight?

I'm done with nights of sleeping for an hour and tossing and turning trying to get comfortable.

LoneWolf
06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes, bought one a year ago and it has been one of the smartest purchases I've ever made. On the days when my back is acting up and I need more support, I can adjust the bed and I don't wake up with a stiff back. Also, no more complaining from the wife about the bed being too hard or soft. We had a tempurpedic and the sleep number kicks its ass.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Yes, bought one a year ago and it has been one of the smartest purchases I've ever made. On the days when my back is acting up and I need more support, I can adjust the bed and I don't wake up with a stiff back. Also, no more complaining from the wife about the bed being too hard or soft. We had a tempurpedic and the sleep number kicks its ass.

That's fantastic.

I'm on their website now and this DualTemp layer shit has me drooling, but for almost 2 grand extra, I can't justify it.

Do the beds sleep hot?

seclark
06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
i've gone through two of them. first time got a queen size...laid a mile of pipe on that bed. compressor went down, they sent us a new one. next time it went down, we had to pay shipping for them to send a new one. after 19 years, i dug out a little cash and opted for the king sized. laid about .62 miles of pipe on it, but i'm fuckin 50+, so it'll take a few more years to earn those bragging rights. still love it, though. mrs. sec and i can both set our number and be content when we actually sleep on it.

some people don't like em. i can be gone for a week, but when i get home and lay back on that bed, i'm a happy bastard.

i vote in favor.
sec

LoneWolf
06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
That's fantastic.

I'm on their website now and this DualTemp layer shit has me drooling, but for almost 2 grand extra, I can't justify it.

Do the beds sleep hot?

No, that was the problem I had with the foam on the temperpedic. If you go with the sleep number, you won't be disappointed.

seclark
06-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Do the beds sleep hot?

we bought some extra kinda mattress cover that stays cool all the time. pretty nice. and i sweat like a whore in church when i sleep. i think it's been 3years, and it might not work as good as it used to, after being washed. i'd take another one of those.

sec

DaFace
06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
The wife and I bought one last summer. It's tough to objectively evaluate the mattress for me because we were moving from an old lumpy queen mattress to a nice king bed, but we've liked it a lot. Most of the queens and kings have two separate sides, so it's nice that my wife can keep hers a little more firm while I keep mine a little more soft. The adjustability is also kind of nice for days when you're a little sore so that you can soften it up a bit, or firm it up a bit on days when your back is hurting and needs the support.

As for the hot/cold thing, we don't have an issue with it, but I've never had much of an issue with that personally. I will say that we got the mid-tier "classic" mattress, so it does have a foam pad between you and the air mattress. I'd imagine the basic version without all the foam would potentially be hotter.

So, assuming it actually lasts as long as they claim it will, I highly recommend it. It's a shit ton of cash to throw down all at once though.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
If you guys don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying? Is there wiggle room in the show rooms?

DaFace
06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
By the way, do be prepared to be pitched on a lot of attractive-sounding add-ons when you go that all cost a small fortune. The mattress itself is the key, but when you're spending that kind of dough, it's easy to justify a couple mattress covers at $150+ each. I'm sure it's worth it, but those things add up when you go in expecting the price that's on their web site.

LoneWolf
06-17-2013, 07:44 PM
One thing to keep in mind. If your wife gets drunk a lot and pisses in the bed five nights a week, there is no way to flip the mattress.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
By the way, do be prepared to be pitched on a lot of attractive-sounding add-ons when you go that all cost a small fortune. The mattress itself is the key, but when you're spending that kind of dough, it's easy to justify a couple mattress covers at $150+ each. I'm sure it's worth it, but those things add up when you go in expecting the price that's on their web site.

check your warranty. I know on our Serta iComfort (and most) if there is ANY visible staining on the mattress they will automatically deny warranty. That easily makes the $100 waterproof cover worth it.

DaFace
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
If you guys don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying? Is there wiggle room in the show rooms?

I think ours was on some sort of special, but I didn't try to talk them down past that. Probably should've. The receipt is buried somewhere, but we ended up at about $2700 according to my CC including all the taxes.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-17-2013, 07:47 PM
FYI, I am also a hot sleeper. We went with a Serta iComfort, they have a different foam layer on top that helps keep you cooler. We LOVE our bed.

DaFace
06-17-2013, 07:47 PM
check your warranty. I know on our Serta iComfort (and most) if there is ANY visible staining on the mattress they will automatically deny warranty. That easily makes the $100 waterproof cover worth it.

Oh, definitely. To clarify, I'm not saying don't buy them (we did). I'm saying don't go in expecting to walk out paying $1k like they have on their web site.

LoneWolf
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM

$2500.00 for a king size performance series. That was retail, but I did get them to throw the mattress cover in for free.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I think ours was on some sort of special, but I didn't try to talk them down past that. Probably should've. The receipt is buried somewhere, but we ended up at about $2700 according to my CC including all the taxes.

Fuck that's a steal. I paid 2100 for this overpriced piece of shit bed I have now.

DaFace
06-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Fuck that's a steal. I paid 2100 for this overpriced piece of shit bed I have now.

Heh...it's all relative I suppose. My prior mattress purchase was when I was a poor college student. I think I paid about $300 for that one. :D

The Bad Guy
06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Heh...it's all relative I suppose. My prior mattress purchase was when I was a poor college student. I think I paid about $300 for that one. :D

Ha. Same here. Bought a 500 dollar queen mattress that I slept better on than any mattress I've had since.

I'll go to a Sleep Number showroom tomorrow and see what I can do. I'm liable to start snapping about this lack of sleep.

seclark
06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
i have no idea what the wife paid for them, but when i go to bed at night, i want to be able to relax and be comfortable. i walk, talk and and run in my sleep. when i'm on the road, no telling where the fuck i'm going to wake up. hardly ever happens at home anymore. i'll pay money for a good nights sleep.
sec

Dave Lane
06-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Girlfriend had one it was fucking awful...

Had to buy a temperpedic topper to keep the pain down.

Kylo Ren
06-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Sleep Number is the best bed ever! I'll never buy anything else!

LoneWolf
06-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Girlfriend had one it was ****ing awful...

Had to buy a temperpedic topper to keep the pain down.

Maybe she should have used lube.

Saul Good
06-17-2013, 08:24 PM
That's fantastic.

Do the beds sleep hot?

You spend 8 hours a night for 10+ years on your mattress. Spend the money.

Simply Red
06-17-2013, 08:34 PM
I'll get one soon - it'll be inside of a month.

TribalElder
06-17-2013, 08:47 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/select.html

Devils advocate

keg in kc
06-17-2013, 08:50 PM
it's nice that my wife can keep hers a little more firm while I keep mine a little more soft.That right there is what I like to call an "abusable quote". o:-)

Groves
06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
They're awesome.

O.city
06-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Recently got one, has really helped the pregnant wife sleep better. Def, would recommend.

teedubya
06-17-2013, 10:28 PM
We bought a nearly brand new one off of Craigslist that they'd had for 2 months... King-size for $750... and it's very comfortable. We got a bed topper for it, as well, and it's extra comfy.

I've laid many miles of pipe in mine. Way more than that sec guy.

teedubya
06-17-2013, 10:29 PM
NOTE: some people get them and REALLY hate them, because they can't figure out which setting to use.

Fritz88
06-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Ever used the floor to sleep on?

Serious question. Try it and see.
Posted via Mobile Device

Molitoth
06-17-2013, 10:48 PM
I could think of a ton of reasons to spend $2500 on a mattress, but for some reason I just have not been able to pull the trigger. =(

Phobia
06-17-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/select.html

Devils advocate

Wow. Nobody likes those things on that site. I'll steer clear. They sound like con artists.

Simply Red
06-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Wow. Nobody likes those things on that site. I'll steer clear. They sound like con artists.

that's what I find odd - everyone I know who has one, loves it. Man, that front page is brutal.

DaFace
06-17-2013, 11:06 PM
that's what I find odd - everyone I know who has one, loves it. Man, that front page is brutal.

People who are happy don't typically get online and seek out places to praise it. Instead, they just chime in when someone asks for an opinion about it.

People who spend $2500 on a mattress and aren't happy with it are probably REALLY unhappy about it and seek out places to vent. That's a shit ton of money to spend on something that you don't like and spend 8 hours per day with. (Not that their complaints aren't valid by any means. Just that places like that aren't a good gauge of the percentage of people who are happy.)

Simply Red
06-17-2013, 11:09 PM
People who are happy don't typically get online and seek out places to praise it. Instead, they just chime in when someone asks for an opinion about it.

People who spend $2500 on a mattress and aren't happy with it are probably REALLY unhappy about it and seek out places to vent. That's a shit ton of money to spend on something that you don't like and spend 8 hours per day with. (Not that their complaints aren't valid by any means. Just that places like that aren't a good gauge of the percentage of people who are happy.)

30% of you life spent on it - it could be worth every penny. Especially if it could deliver a level of comfort i'm not used to.

Phobia
06-17-2013, 11:39 PM

I definitely understand the dynamic of unhappy people and reporting it with ease on the internet. What I don't understand is why it costs $600 to try it for their "no-risk" 30 days. $600 sounds like a pretty significant risk to me. I would pay anybody $200 to deliver anything short of a car to me.

TribalElder
06-18-2013, 05:19 AM

That is the truth

bevischief
06-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Have had one for about 10-11 years love it.

Dave Lane
06-18-2013, 06:37 AM

It's the worse expensive bed I've ever seen. With a memory foam topper its decent, but why not just buy a memory foam mattress to begin with?

Of course on the other side Gunther Fan likes it.

cookster50
06-18-2013, 06:55 AM
I know someone that bought one 8-9 years ago and still loves it.

Barret
06-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Make sure you get the bed with the 2 air chambers in it. As a cheap bachelor I got the single air chamber since I was only thinking of myself.

When I am lucky enough to have company over things start to get complicated with the single air chamber. Since you set it to be comfy for your weight, adding another person throws the hardness off. So you let air out of the chamber so things are comfy again. Well if she gets up and goes to the bathroom or she looks over at you and asks her self "what the hell have I done" and then decides to sneak out and then never call you again, well now the weight has been removed and you are on way too soft of a bed. You wake up with back pain wondering where she went to.

So always get the 2 chamber if you can.

BlackHelicopters
06-18-2013, 07:24 AM
The polar opposites of the opinions here and on the website are amazing.

Bweb
06-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Me and the Mrs have had one for about 3 years and have had no problems. I have my number, she has hers and we both sleep very well.

cookster50
06-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Me and the Mrs have had one for about 3 years and have had no problems. I have my number, she has hers and we both sleep very well.

That's because your numbers are in different zip codes. Bazinga!

tooge
06-18-2013, 09:15 AM
you pussies. Drink more. About three solid drinks and you can sleep on any old bed.

DTLB58
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I have had a sleep # for about a year now.
I bought cause I was having terrible back problems. I have had 3 back surgery a and couldn't sleep. Anyways, after finally talking my wife into buying it she has grown to like it more than me although, after fiddling with it for months I've just finally kept my side on 100, the firmest and my back is awesome ever morning I wake up.

One downside to it you will read online to all the testimonials will be when partners go to have sex who wins out with which # to get jiggy on?

We like the stiffness so it always goes to 100!

Consistent1
06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I sleep on a Coleman air mattress. You guys must all be rich.

HuskerPower
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Save the dough and buy the Coleman air mattress. I have had one for four years, Not a fan.

Bweb
06-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I bought cause I was having terrible back problems. I have had 3 back surgery a and couldn't sleep. Anyways, after finally talking my wife into buying it she has grown to like it more than me although, after fiddling with it for months I've just finally kept my side on 100, the firmest and my back is awesome ever morning I wake up.

One downside to it you will read online to all the testimonials will be when partners go to have sex who wins out with which # to get jiggy on?

ROFL LMAO

Bweb
06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
That's because your numbers are in different zip codes. Bazinga!

:clap: :thumb:

Saul Good
06-18-2013, 02:08 PM

Set the bed to 69...high five!

DaFace
06-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Set the bed to 69...high five!

Mine only goes in multiples of 5... :sulk:

unlurking
06-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Stayed at a Radisson a few years ago that had them. Didn't like it, but I imagine they take more than a few days to find your number and get comfortable. I love my $80 4" foam though!

Fire Me Boy!
06-19-2013, 05:11 AM
The wife and I have been considering one, so thanks for the thread! We spent 45 minutes or so with a salesman last weekend, fould our numbers through simple comfort, then they put each if us on a pressure pad on one of the beds to make minor adjustments. You could see the pressure points of your body on the mattress go from red to green as they lowered the number. Very interesting stuff. Probably will get one.

Simply Red
07-02-2013, 11:47 PM
oh and I bought the california king sleep number - got it Sunday - 65 here - if you all don't have a good bed - remember you spend 33% of your life there - get comfortable - it's worth the investment.

Nightfyre
07-02-2013, 11:52 PM
DTLB58 likes the stiffness. yep. that's what I got out of this thread.

oldman
07-03-2013, 05:58 AM
We've had ours for about 4 years now and I find it hard to sleep on anything else. Go to the store and let them give you your number and try it for 30 days or so. We started with 55 for me and 35 for the Mrs., but since we both have gotten a little older, I find 75for me and 65 for her is much better. The nice thing is that you can adjust it up or down for those nights you have back or hip pain. It takes about 3 days to get used to it.

Fire Me Boy!
07-03-2013, 06:55 AM
They give you 100 days in-home test now, FWIW.

MahiMike
07-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Just got back from 2 weeks in Europe sleeping on basically the floor with an IKEA mattress. I slept great. Made me think of how much Americans waste on overpriced mattresses. Why the fuss?

MMXcalibur
09-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Just got a SleepNumber bed today on their Labor Day sale.

Got a $10K bed for just a little over $8K with bedding included. We spared no expense on what we wanted out of the bed, going for the Deluxe package (separate mattresses for individualized settings, massage). Our current mattress has left us getting up sore and more tired than when we went to bed on most nights. The wife has epilepsy as well and she has a tough time sleeping as is, so it's important she gets good sleep out of the little she can get. Add on that I made the next rank recently (and the $$$ that comes with it), so we feel justified in the purchase.

We'll be getting it delivered next Friday and I'm pretty excited.

Mr. Laz
09-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Curious about how long sleep number beds last.

ALL over mattresses get soft spots after awhile ... ALL of the them.

Do you avoid the dreaded soft spot wear out with an air mattress.

I hear that air pumps wear out eventually. How long?

Fire Me Boy!
09-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Just got a SleepNumber bed today on their Labor Day sale.

Got a $10K bed for just a little over $8K with bedding included. We spared no expense on what we wanted out of the bed, going for the Deluxe package (separate mattresses for individualized settings, massage). Our current mattress has left us getting up sore and more tired than when we went to bed on most nights. The wife has epilepsy as well and she has a tough time sleeping as is, so it's important she gets good sleep out of the little she can get. Add on that I made the next rank recently (and the $$$ that comes with it), so we feel justified in the purchase.

We'll be getting it delivered next Friday and I'm pretty excited.

Congrats. We didn't go all out except for the separate mattresses so we could have different settings, but we love it.