PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone familiar with Denver and surrounding areas?

Shag
06-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Going to be in Denver at the end of July, and looking for some suggestions on things to do. Currently have a Red Rocks show and a game a Rockies game scheduled, but have a few other days yet to schedule. Looking for a variety of things - outdoors fun (rafting, 4 wheeling, horseback riding), and at least a day of relaxing at some sort of resort/hotel.

- What are some good day trips out of Denver? Don't necessarily need to be back to Denver for lodging - could stay outside of Denver for a night or two.

- Recommendations for some reasonably priced resort-type places in the area? Would love to get out of town a bit for this, have nice mountain views, and a nice pool/springs area to lay out and relax. No kids involved, so somewhere more adult oriented would be ideal.

Side note: the person I'm going with does seem to have some issues with altitude sickness, so if you have suggestions that don't involve going high into the mountains, please include those, as well.

Thanks!

In58men
06-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Peyton Manning

patteeu
06-25-2013, 07:36 AM
I bet ChiefInDenver, Denver Duster, Denver Mike, DenverChief, DenverChiefsFan, DenverDanChiefsFan, DenverFan97, DenversKCFan, and DonInDenver know something about this subject.

DaFace probably does too. He knows something about everything.

Buck
06-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Drive to the top of Mt Evans. I was just there 2.5 weeks ago. Pretty fucking amazing.

mr. tegu
06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Go here.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/Casa_Bonita.jpg

patteeu
06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
The mile high city just got a little higher. (https://legalmarijuanadispensary.com/dispensaries/in/colorado/south-denver-dtc)

loochy
06-25-2013, 07:41 AM
The local football team is craptacular

Donger
06-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Side note: the person I'm going with does seem to have some issues with altitude sickness, so if you have suggestions that don't involve going high into the mountains, please include those, as well.

Thanks!

It would be helpful if you would provide more details on this.

tredadda
06-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Going to be in Denver at the end of July, and looking for some suggestions on things to do. Currently have a Red Rocks show and a game a Rockies game scheduled, but have a few other days yet to schedule. Looking for a variety of things - outdoors fun (rafting, 4 wheeling, horseback riding), and at least a day of relaxing at some sort of resort/hotel.

- What are some good day trips out of Denver? Don't necessarily need to be back to Denver for lodging - could stay outside of Denver for a night or two.

- Recommendations for some reasonably priced resort-type places in the area? Would love to get out of town a bit for this, have nice mountain views, and a nice pool/springs area to lay out and relax. No kids involved, so somewhere more adult oriented would be ideal.

Thanks!

If you don't mind hippies, you could go to the Flatirons in Boulder. Or 16th St Mall which is always good for the odd sights that usually hang out there. Or you could check out Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Colorado Springs is just over an hour away from Denver and there is plenty to do including Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and Seven Falls etc....

edit: just saw the altitude sickness thing, so avoid Pikes Peak.

BlackHelicopters
06-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Visit a physician first thing.

ptlyon
06-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Take a dump in the front of Invesco field or whatever the fuck they call it nowadays. Post the results.

cosmo20002
06-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Would love to get out of town a bit for this, have nice mountain views, and a nice pool/springs area to lay out and relax. No kids involved, so somewhere more adult oriented would be ideal.

Go somewhere else closer to sea level. Honestly, this person seems like a high-maintenance drama queen.

loochy
06-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Go somewhere else closer to sea level. Honestly, this person seems like a high-maintenance drama queen.

if you want mountains without altitude, go to arkansas or tennesee or something

tooge
06-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Be sure to take a dump in the parking lot of investco field

patteeu
06-25-2013, 08:03 AM
if you want mountains without altitude, go to arkansas or tennesee or something

At the end of July, I'd just abandon the mountain idea and go find a nice lake in Minnesota.

Warrior5
06-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Be sure to take a dump in the parking lot of investco field

I 3rd this notion; make an impact on Denver.

DaKCMan AP
STEP ONE

Try here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269675

Here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244441

And here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230705

STEP TWO

Eat here: http://craverealburgers.com/

And here: http://www.bageldeli.com/index.php

STEP THREE

Profit.

This message has been brought to you by the DaKCMan_AP is Awesome Foundation.

HemiEd
Nope, nobody.

KCUnited
06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Anyone been to Chicago?

patteeu
06-25-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm spending the next several months/years in Kansas City. Any tips?

loochy
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

Rain Man
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Our mountains are less than 15,000 feet high. I wouldn't worry about the altitude since there's really no death zone to speak of unless you run out of water.

ptlyon
06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
I 3rd this notion; make an impact on Denver.

Poopify Denver!

Frazod
06-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Anyone been to Chicago?

Nope.

Garcia Bronco
06-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks!

Just about every Pass is about 8000 above sea level. You could go check out Steamboat or Estes. It might just be fun to spend a day in Boulder checking out place. Even though your guest is not altitude friendly, you could check out Mt Evans. It's close to the city and you can drive up there. If you are a golfer you can play a few courses. Check out the Common Ground, Arrowhead, Kennedy, or Murphy Creek. All public courses. If you like boating ( in a lake, sigh) you can call up Cherry Creek and see if you can rent a boat for the reservoir. The Colorado Rapids play here and a soccer game is a cheap night out. If you like to shoot you can check out the "Family Center" in Cherry Creek, trap, skeet, rental guns, and regular rifle and pistol range. Cherry Creek is a State Park. If you like to sport climb, I can give you some areas to go to with climb ratings that are good for every type of climber.

I am originally from Virginia so I think historical site seeing here is shit, but I am used to DC, Mt Vernon, Richmond, and so on.

MagicHef
06-25-2013, 08:47 AM
I have always loved Jack n Grill, at 25th and Federal. Also, tell the sickie to drink lots of water and go up into the mountains.

Garcia Bronco
06-25-2013, 08:49 AM
I have always loved Jack n Grill, at 25th and Federal. Also, tell the sickie to drink lots of water and go up into the mountains.

In fact the week before you come out here increase your water intake. Try to drink at least 64 oz a day and bring a water bottle. First you can drink the tap water here and second have some with you at all times.

For shits and giggles, when you get here...right when you get here...run up a flight of steps.

ptlyon
06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
For shits and giggles, when you get here...right when you get here...take a dump on the Invesco Field steps.

FYP

Dayze
06-25-2013, 09:17 AM
PM Bob Dole. Seriously, he grew up there and lived there for a good 20 years.

DaKCMan AP
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
For shits and giggles, when you get here...right when you get here...run up a flight of steps.

LMAO - I've been above 14k ft several times but this last time I flew from Tampa (sea level) to Denver, drove to Co Springs, and was at the Pike's Peak summit within 3-4hrs of landing. Needless to say I was a little dizzy for 15-20 mins. :D

mr. tegu
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't know why anyone is worried about the altitude there.

http://livingincinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/dumb-and-dumber.jpg

Garcia Bronco
06-25-2013, 09:57 AM
FYP

[Joe Pesci] I don't if they came out there and told ya, but we don't have invesco anymore. No more invesco for Tommy.[/joe pesci]

Garcia Bronco
06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't know why anyone is worried about the altitude there.

http://livingincinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/dumb-and-dumber.jpg

Yeah man, that John Denver is full of shit.

ptlyon
06-25-2013, 10:15 AM
[Joe Pesci] I don't if they came out there and told ya, but we don't have invesco anymore. No more invesco for Tommy.[/joe pesci]

I thought it had changed but can't remember what it changed to, my apologies.

After last year did they rename it to "Peyton Manning's Epic Fail at Mile High"?

saphojunkie
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
My tip is to drink water. Lots of water. It's the only thing that's ever helped me with altitude when I would go to CO to visit in-laws.

Garcia Bronco
06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
I thought it had changed but can't remember what it changed to, my apologies.

After last year did they rename it to "Peyton Manning's Epic Fail at Mile High"?

We're all good.

Ah no they left off "Fail at Mile High" part.

It is now Sports Authority Field...I still call it Mile High. Screw Corp Sponsorship. In fact now that I can't carry a "bag" of my choice into the game...fuck going to the games.

ptlyon
06-25-2013, 10:24 AM
It is now Sports Authority Field...I still call it Mile High. Screw Corp Sponsorship. In fact now that I can't carry a "bag" of my choice into the game...**** going to the games.

True true

DaKCMan AP
06-25-2013, 10:30 AM
My tip is to drink water. Lots of water. It's the only thing that's ever helped me with altitude when I would go to CO to visit in-laws.

Mate de Coca helps, but you can't buy that in Denver.

Rain Man
06-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Mate de Coca helps, but you can't buy that in Denver.

Give it time. It'll eventually happen.

Chief_For_Life58
06-25-2013, 10:37 AM
like every thread about what to do in denver that pops up like every month... boulder, estes park, colorado springs, glenwood springs hot springs, great sand dune national park, Breckenridge, Diamond cabaret in downtown Denver.

Drink over a gallon of water a day before going and during to alleviate altitude sickness.

loochy
06-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Drink over a gallon of water a day before going and during to alleviate altitude sickness.

you are supposed to do that anyway for good health

Rain Man
06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
A gallon a day?

loochy
06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
A gallon a day?

keeps the doctor away

Rain Man
06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Eh, I guess the formal recommendation now is 3 liters per day. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283. I need to drink more water.

Dayze
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
I hate Big Water.
what a scam.

Donger
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Eh, I guess the formal recommendation now is 3 liters per day. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283. I need to drink more water.

Meh. That's just for the flatlander tourists.

Phobia
06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
1. Take somebody else to the mountains. Would you take your wife to the strip club? Not usually, right?
2. The Denver area is a haven for micro-breweries. I'd dedicate at least a few hours to touring a brewer you enjoy. Even Coors might be fun even though I haven't done that one and I don't really consume their products.
3. Avoid movie theaters.
4. Don't buy a car.
5. Rockies games are overrated but if MLB is important to you, might as well go.

I think those are all the important ones.

HoneyBadger
06-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Ban water.

DaFace
06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
like every thread about what to do in denver that pops up like every month... boulder, estes park, colorado springs, glenwood springs hot springs, great sand dune national park, Breckenridge, Diamond cabaret in downtown Denver.

It's truly impressive how many people come here for vacation given the perceived level of hatred toward the people here by many on this site. :)

loochy
06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
It's truly impressive how many people come here for vacation given the perceived level of hatred toward the people here by many on this site. :)

we only hate blue and orange people

DaKCMan AP
06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
we only hate blue and orange people

Hey! Orange & Blue are Awesome!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSDrnYKXYn1V5noY1SiyzZ56h3p_GlEAuzBdBAMQERKIfZmlYAhttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYuPBSIBdhTshZE2peRHA7fKqq0rIYBY7qwOzbnbRcdc6xPIf5QA

Just not donkey-colored blue & orange.

Chief_For_Life58
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM

I really dont even hate bronco fans I just hate the 95% of the fan base that are fair weather. Cant name a single player on the team or who theyre playing the following weekend but GOOOOOOO BRONCOOSSS!!!! YEAAA GOO!!!!!..fuckn joke fanbase

Chief_For_Life58
06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I went to school in co. great state minus the people. way too liberal.

Shag
06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input, all - I'll check out the helpful responses in more detail when I get a chance.

For those saying to take someone else, or go somewhere else - not an option. This is a trip wrapped around a need to be in Denver for some medical stuff. So, making the best of an existing situation.

As for the altitude sickness - thanks for the tips on the water. She tends to get very sick the first couple days she's in Denver, so trying to avoid major altitude changes once we're there, as it seems like that triggers a recurrence. Maybe the water thing will help. Any other suggestions for this?

Rasputin
06-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Colorado is still on fire, but I don't know how that has affected Denver. If it missed Broncos Infested Field need to pore some gas in that direction.

Donger
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the input, all - I'll check out the helpful responses in more detail when I get a chance.

For those saying to take someone else, or go somewhere else - not an option. This is a trip wrapped around a need to be in Denver for some medical stuff. So, making the best of an existing situation.

As for the altitude sickness - thanks for the tips on the water. She tends to get very sick the first couple days she's in Denver, so trying to avoid major altitude changes once we're there, as it seems like that triggers a recurrence. Maybe the water thing will help. Any other suggestions for this?

She gets altitude sickness in Denver? Jeez. I'd be very wary of going above 8,000 feet then.

Frazod
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
From my limited time there, I've come up with a good rule of thumb - everything west of Denver = awesome. Denver and everything east of Denver = sucks.

Donger
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM
From my limited time there, I've come up with a good rule of thumb - everything west of Denver = awesome. Denver and everything east of Denver = sucks.

I hope that you have more reasons than "the Broncos play there and their fans suck"

Chief_For_Life58
06-25-2013, 12:44 PM

over a gallon of water a day and at the minimum 5 bjs a day. its science. she wouldnt understand

Frazod
06-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I hope that you have more reasons than "the Broncos play there and their fans suck"

No, not really.

I wouldn't even stay at a hotel in Denver - continued driving until we got to Golden. I told my wife that if there was some sort of accident and I died in Denver, my soul would not be able to ascend to heaven.

Rain Man
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
No, not really.

I wouldn't even stay at a hotel in Denver - continued driving until we got to Golden. I told my wife that if there was some sort of accident and I died in Denver, my soul would not be able to ascend to heaven.

Don't hate us because we're beautiful.

Earthling
06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
The natural history museum in Denver is very awesome, in case the altitude problem limits your excursions elsewhere...

Frazod
06-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Don't hate us because we're beautiful.

Everything to the west is beautiful.

But sand on the beach ain't wet just because it's near the ocean.

Stewie
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Spend a night at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. It's haunted.

Rain Man
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Everything to the west is beautiful.

But sand on the beach ain't wet just because it's near the ocean.

If you want to defeat the Broncos, you must first understand the culture of the Broncos, and that means understanding Denver.

The simple truth is, we're awesome. Our city is great, our state is great, everything about Colorado is great. We have mild winters but beautiful snow. Our summers are warm but the nights are cool. We have no fleas and almost no mosquitoes or roaches. Our airport flies nonstop to both Europe and Asia.

We are the golden city. Everything about us is perfect. People who were born here feel like they're special, and people who moved here feel very smart because we moved here.

We can't help it if we're better than everyone else. It's just who we are. We live in the Promised Land, and we recognize that it makes others uncomfortable sometimes, but we set our hands out in peace and welcome anyway. Come visit us and see the glory that is us.

Frazod
06-25-2013, 01:01 PM
If you want to defeat the Broncos, you must first understand the culture of the Broncos, and that means understanding Denver.

The simple truth is, we're awesome. Our city is great, our state is great, everything about Colorado is great. We have mild winters but beautiful snow. Our summers are warm but the nights are cool. We have no fleas and almost no mosquitoes or roaches. Our airport flies nonstop to both Europe and Asia.

We are the golden city. Everything about us is perfect. People who were born here feel like they're special, and people who moved here feel very smart because we moved here.

We can't help it if we're better than everyone else. It's just who we are. We live in the Promised Land, and we recognize that it makes others uncomfortable sometimes, but we set our hands out in peace and welcome anyway. Come visit us and see the glory that is us.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Borg.jpg

vailpass
06-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Brown Palace Hotel. If you can't stay there at least do happy hour.

J Diddy
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM

Call me up on the daily and I'll scoot on down so we can be bff's. Kay?

DaFace
06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm late to this party due to...you know...work, but here are a few thoughts.

Since you're trying to avoid altitude, I'm focusing specifically on front range activities. If you don't think that restriction is necessary, let me know and I'll throw out a few other ideas.
Take a trip up to Fort Collins for some brewery tours. New Belgium is the big one, and you may still be able to reserve a tour (free) on their web site. If they're already full, you can usually get in if you show up first thing in the morning and get on their waiting list. Other good ones to visit up there are O'Dell's and Fort Collins Brewery. And if you don't make it all the way up to Fort Collins, there are a million others you can find as well. Let me know if you want other specific recommendations.
The big Denver cultural attractions you might consider are the Denver Art Museum, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, the Denver Zoo, and the Denver Aquarium. Others that might be appealing depending on your interests are the Colorado History Museum, the Denver Botanic Gardens, the Rocky Mountain Wildlife Refuge, and the Wild Animal Sanctuary.
Assuming it's not on fire, there are still a lot of great outdoor places down toward Colorado Springs that are worth a trip. Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cave of the Winds can keep you occupied for a while. You can also take a cog train up Pike's Peak, but that may not be a good idea given the altitude sickness issue. The Royal Gorge is also down there, but it was right in the middle of a fire a couple weeks back, so I have no idea if 1) it'll even be open and 2) if it'll be considerably less fun if it's all toasted.
I only know of a few rafting places, but if you're trying to stick around Denver (in general), there are a couple up by Idaho Springs that are always packed. They run right along the highway, but that doesn't stop them from being fun. Can't help you much on 4-wheeling or horseback riding.

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head. If any of those are particularly appealing, let me know and I'll go into more detail about what I know. I have a lot of family who come to town and use me for a cheap vacation, so I've done a little bit of everything around here.

DaFace
06-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Drive to the top of Mt Evans. I was just there 2.5 weeks ago. Pretty ****ing amazing.

I'd forgotten that was this month. How was your trip?

DaFace
06-25-2013, 05:43 PM
The mile high city just got a little higher. (https://legalmarijuanadispensary.com/dispensaries/in/colorado/south-denver-dtc)

Well, kind of. You still can't buy legally without a MMJ card.

Deberg_1990
06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Heys guys,

Anyone familiar with Wichita Ks?

patteeu
06-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Heys guys,

Anyone familiar with Wichita Ks?

Clint is pretty familiar with it, but I haven't seen him around for a while.

Buck
06-25-2013, 05:49 PM
I'd forgotten that was this month. How was your trip?

I loved Mt. Evans and the show I went to see, otherwise it was the worst trip ever.

Denver went from my favorite city outside of San Diego to being my most loathed. Gives me even more reason to hate the Donks.

DaFace
06-25-2013, 05:52 PM
I loved Mt. Evans and the show I went to see, otherwise it was the worst trip ever.

Denver went from my favorite city outside of San Diego to being my most loathed. Gives me even more reason to hate the Donks.

Ouch. What happened?

LoneWolf
06-25-2013, 06:00 PM
For the love of God Shag, don't forget to pack all the shirts you'll need for this trip. You'd be shocked at how one forgotten shirt will ruin your trip.

J/K, Buck.

Buck
06-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Ouch. What happened?

Hoardes of homeless people and a pretty shitty breakup.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Hoardes of homeless people and a pretty shitty breakup.

dude, you're just supposed to have casual sex with the homeless women, not get in a relationship with them.