PDA

View Full Version : Life Way to go, Thig Lyfe

Bowser
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Nutritionists have been telling us to eat more fish for years, but not all fish is prepared in a healthy way. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) has revealed the worst restaurant meal in the United States to be Long John Silver's Big Catch.

On Tuesday, the consumer advocacy group tweeted:

When it comes to clogging arteries, @longjohnslvrs' #BigCatch is by far the worst restaurant meal in America.

8:46 AM - 2 Jul 2013

The restaurant chain introduced the meal, which includes a piece of fried haddock, hush puppies, and onion rings, in late May for the bargain price of $4.99 writing in a press release, "The Big Catch is a premium menu item, with the classic taste that Long John Silver's is known for." While it may be a lot of food for a small amount of money, it's no great deal in terms of nutrition.

More on Yahoo!: Hidden, Healthy Fast-Food Finds

According to the CSPI, which conducted its own lab tests, Big Catch contains 33 grams of trans fat, an additional 19 grams of saturated fat, and nearly 3,700 milligrams of sodium. The American Heart Association recommends that adults limit their consumption of trans fat to less than 2 grams a day and saturated fat to less than 16 grams per day. The latest recommendation for sodium is less than 1,500 milligrams per day. Trans fat and saturated fat are associated with higher bad cholesterol and increased risk of heart disease.

Related: New York’s Trans Fat Ban Is Working (Study)

"Long John Silver's Big Catch meal deserves to be buried 20,000 leagues under the sea," said CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson in a press release. "This company is taking perfectly healthy fish and entombing it in a thick crust of batter and partially hydrogenated oil. The result? A heart attack on a hook. Instead of the Big Catch, I'd call it America's Deadliest Catch."

Walter C. Willett, chair of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health added, "It might have been defensible to use hydrogenated oil in the 1980s, before trans fat's harmfulness was discovered, but no longer."

Because Big Catch is a temporary menu item, Long John Silver's is not required to disclose its nutritional information. The CPSI estimates the meal contains 1,320 calories, roughly the same amount as in a McDonald's Big Mac, french fries, and milk shake combined.

The CSPI also asserts that Long John Silver's is telling a fish tale when it comes to the amount of haddock included in the meal. According to the restaurant, "It's the largest fish we have ever offered weighing in at 7-8 ounces of 100 percent premium Haddock caught in the icy waters of the North Atlantic." However, tests performed by the CSPI, reveal that that's a significant overstatement. "It turns out that when Long John Silver's says 7 to 8 ounces of 100 percent haddock, it's more like 60 percent haddock and 40 percent batter and grease," said Jacobson. "Nutrition aside, that's just plain piracy."

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/worst-restaurant-meal-america-something-8217-fishy-long-150800343.html

Thig Lyfe - Bastard Extraordinaire

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Absolutely awful food.

ptlyon
07-02-2013, 01:17 PM
THE HORROR!

BlackHelicopters
07-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Heart attack on a hook!!

listopencil
07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't give a fuck, give me my God damned hush puppies.

BlackHelicopters
07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
The Doors

RockChalk
07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Do people go to LJS expecting to eat healthy?

If people want to kill themselves eating shit like this, or smoking, or drinking, then who gives a crap? It's not my place, or anyone else's for that matter, to tell them what they can and can't eat. Nobody orders the Big Catch with health concerns in the back of their mind.

Chief_For_Life58
07-02-2013, 01:41 PM
ive never even been to ljs's before. am i missing out? lol

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM

No, it's absolutely complete shit. Fry your own at home. A quick pan fry is easy enough.

Bowser
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Do you have trouble pooping? Hit up LJS to break that log jam.

Jewish Rabbi
07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Thig Lyfe = Ninja

ptlyon
07-02-2013, 01:44 PM
No, it's absolutely complete shit. Fry your own at home. A quick pan fry is easy enough.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! :harumph:

Pepe Silvia
07-02-2013, 01:46 PM
This isn't anything new, I've known for years that LJS is a heart attack in a bag. Fortunately I'm not a 400 lb lard ass who eats it all the time.

Prison Bitch
07-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Do people go to LJS expecting to eat healthy?

If people want to kill themselves eating shit like this, or smoking, or drinking, then who gives a crap? It's not my place, or anyone else's for that matter, to tell them what they can and can't eat. Nobody orders the Big Catch with health concerns in the back of their mind.

Many people don't know just how bad this is. I don't eat fast food very often at all, but I can't say that if I went to LJS I would have any clue just how rotten this dish is.

cosmo20002
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
"Long John Silver's Big Catch meal deserves to be buried 20,000 leagues under the sea," said CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson in a press release. "This company is taking perfectly healthy fish and entombing it in a thick crust of batter and partially hydrogenated oil. The result? A heart attack on a hook. Instead of the Big Catch, I'd call it America's Deadliest Catch."

ROFL I SEE WHAT HE DID THERE! ROFL

BlackHelicopters
07-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Haven't been to LJS in years.

notorious
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
There is so much grease in LJS food that I literally feel myself get weak during the afternoon.

Fuck that.

Bowser
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
This Lyfe lied; people died

RockChalk
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Many people don't know just how bad this is. I don't eat fast food very often at all, but I can't say that if I went to LJS I would have any clue just how rotten this dish is.

Yeah, but they know it's bad. Again, nobody goes to LJS thinking they are going for a decent meal. 90% of them are overweight/obese people who have no fucks to give about what they eat. 9.9% of them are hungover and looking for some really cheap & super greasy food to coat their stomachs. And maybe .1% are naive and think they are going for some HQ seafood.

And really, given what you said, the .1% calculation makes sense, because you definitely don't have a one damn clue about any subject you post about on this board, specifically KU sports and the Royals

Ace Gunner
07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
I was driving by a wendy's recently while headed to the bank and there was a big rig with huge pipes connecting the rig's tanks to the restaurant's (stretch to call it that but) underground tanks. The stench was enough to gag ya. I cannot eat deep fried fast food. actually, I don't eat much deep fried food. I'll hit the chinese deep fry items occasionally and that's about it.

MTG#10
07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
LJS is putrid. Captain D's is 1000x's better...probably just as unhealthy though.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
This Lyfe lied; people died

He's a Capn D's guy anyway.

RockChalk
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
LJS is putrid. Captain D's is 1000x's better...probably just as unhealthy though.

Ol Griggs sure loved the shit out of some CapN D's, especially after he'd been sipping on "Mountain Valley Spring Water" all game

ptlyon
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Ol Griggs sure loved the shit out of some CapN D's, especially after he'd been sipping on "Mountain Valley Spring Water" all game

Was going to comment, then this made me. Miss that dude :sulk:

ChiefsLV
07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
I think most of the public probably doesn't realize the difference in health impact between food fried in trans fat oils (hydrogenated) vs food fried in natural oils. Trans fat is really bad for your health. I treat it like poison. http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/healthandfitness/p/trnasfats.htm