PDA

View Full Version : Life What's up all you KC snobs!!!

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-snobbiest-cities/15

America's Snobbiest Cities
14 (tie) Kansas City, MO
The city’s trio of big museums and the Kauffman Center—home to the city’s symphony, ballet, and opera—are proof that this city cares about more than just its famed barbecue. And while such cultural attractions are indeed state of the art, they remain accessible; Kansas City won the survey for affordability.

What's funny is that KC beat out Austin (19). Having spent considerable portions of my life in both.. this study is completely off base. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin but people here are EXTREMELY proud of the town, to a point that is annoying as hell. KC on the other hand has never come across as a "snobby" city even though it has plenty more reasons to be.

[the biggest surprise was Minneapolis at #4.. WTF? I can't imagine anyone in Minny being proud of well, anything.]

kysirsoze
07-02-2013, 02:43 PM
It's a weird list. Their criteria seems to be which cities have the most "high culture" attractions that are also widely available. Doesn't sound like snobbery to me. Their descriptions read like praise for the most part, but I think they just threw the snobby thing on there to draw internet traffic.

Ace Gunner
07-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I've been to Austin -- there is nothing in that town to be snobby about :)

loochy
07-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't think the article writers understand what snobby is

sd4chiefs
07-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I just knew before I looked that San Francisco would be number one.

DaFace
07-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't think the article writers understand what snobby is

Agreed.

cosmo20002
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
The success of our professional sports teams has made us feel superior to the rest of the country and insufferable to others.

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Apparently you don't like women... or bars. There is the live music as well but that shit annoys me so I don't count it.

BlackHelicopters
07-02-2013, 03:16 PM
The success of our professional sports teams has made us feel superior to the rest of the country and insufferable to others.

No doubt.

Sannyasi
07-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Minneapolis has a pretty good music scene but I don't know how that is enough to push them up to number 4.

Fish
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Poopycock? All right then.......

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1130/okt.gif

Radar Chief
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I just knew before I looked that San Francisco would be number one.

It’s all the smug emanating from there.

KC native
07-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Apparently you don't like women... or bars. There is the live music as well but that shit annoys me so I don't count it.

Well there is one huge blight on the city....ut

scorpio
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Spent a week in Austin a couple years ago. I can't believe that's supposed to be the nice part of Texas.

Deberg_1990
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Did they mean KC or Overland Park?

ChiefsCountry
07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
And no St. Louis on the list either. St. Louisians are way worse than Kansas Citians.

Stewie
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
It's funny that all the significant money in this article comes from the Kansas side.

Radar Chief
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Spent a week in Austin a couple years ago. I can't believe that's supposed to be the nice part of Texas.

Spend a week or so in west Texas and it’ll make more sense.

bishop_74
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM

So your saying you have a mullet, like to wear jorts, and a wife beater. Got it. :thumb:

DaneMcCloud
07-02-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-snobbiest-cities/15
What's funny is that KC beat out Austin (19). Having spent considerable portions of my life in both.. this study is completely off base. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin but people here are EXTREMELY proud of the town, to a point that is annoying as hell. KC on the other hand has never come across as a "snobby" city even though it has plenty more reasons to be.

Did you ever live in or did you grow up in Johnson County?

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM

What? You don't like the smell of crude oil with wind farm scenery?

Canofbier
07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
the biggest surprise was Minneapolis at #4.. WTF? I can't imagine anyone in Minny being proud of well, anything.

Have you ever been in Minneapolis for an extended period of time? I've lived here for almost a year now, and I think that the city has a ton to offer (food, entertainment, etc...).

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Have you ever been in Minneapolis for an extended period of time? I've lived here for almost a year now, and I think that the city has a ton to offer (food, entertainment, etc...).

In all fairness no I have only visited and was not impressed. I don't think it's a giant piece of crap or anything but I just never saw much of value there. Very "meh" type of city to me. It's like Omaha but without the beef.

Mav
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Its not the AUSTIN part, that is causing people to be snobby.....its the TEXAS part........

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Well there is one huge blight on the city....ut

Whatever you big purple toad. UT provides a never ending supply of marginally interesting but definitely gorgeous coeds. Slightly better looking than TCU girls with less attitude and less religion.

Donger
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
I can't believe that's supposed to be the nice part of Texas.

It IS the nice part of Texas.

Mav
07-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Whatever you big purple toad. UT provides a never ending supply of marginally interesting but definitely gorgeous coeds. Slightly better looking than TCU girls with less attitude and less religion.

Oh, I like this, a transplant on transplant beat down about whos college is less douchier. I LIKE IT.....

Grabs popcorn.

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Depends on what you consider nice. Also, its not hard to beat out El Paso, Dallas, Houston or San Antonio. You just need to not suck ass entirely and you are better than those crapfests. Fort Worth is actually not bad though.

Austin is all about a freaking ginormous nightlife. I have spent considerable time in New Orleans and it doesn't even come close to Austin's nightlife. Austin's downtown scene is just huge. In KC terms, combine the Plaza, Westport, Power and Light, Martini Corner and take them times 5 and you are getting close to just the walkable downtown bars of Austin. It's staggering really.

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh, I like this, a transplant on transplant beat down about whos college is less douchier. I LIKE IT.....

Grabs popcorn.

woah woah woah, I'm a U-M guy. I just appreciate UT's contributions to the Austin nightlife.

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Did you ever live in or did you grow up in Johnson County?

Nope, nor do I consider it part of KC. May as well be talking about Olathe or Lawrence. yes I know that is biased of me but fuck OP. :D

stonedstooge
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Beaker fans in KC probably shot it up several places

notorious
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM

This.

Last time I checked, land is still $35/acre south of Pecos.

Prime real estate.

Mav
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
woah woah woah, I'm a U-M guy. I just appreciate UT's contributions to the Austin nightlife.

Just not gonna let me stir this shit up are ya?

KC native
07-02-2013, 06:16 PM

I have a policy on Texas schools that I did not attend. Fuck them. Austin is a cool city though. A little full of themselves but all Texans kind of are.

crazycoffey
07-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Hard to believe St Louis isn't on the list, when I first moved here I thought everyone was rude

SAUTO
07-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Hard to believe St Louis isn't on the list, when I first moved here I thought everyone was rude

You thought right
Posted via Mobile Device

TribalElder
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Beaker fans in KC probably shot it up several places

Hahahahahahahaha

teedubya
07-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Wait... so we are the #2 most redneck... and the #14 most snobby?

We are snobby rednecks. Noice!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-ten-redneck-cities-ranked/story?id=19153779#.UdNwjT5ATwU

http://www.wedding-cake-toppers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/redneck-wedding-cake-topper.jpg

Rasputin
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/farkkath/shuttlecock.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/farkkath/media/shuttlecock.jpg.html)

What other city bost about its shuttlecock more than Kansas City?

A statue of a shuttlecock screams snob town.

MahiMike
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM

you must hate music and films.

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I have a policy on Texas schools that I did not attend. Fuck them. Austin is a cool city though. A little full of themselves but all Texans kind of are.

I feel about the same way. Oh and Austin and Ft Worth are about the only cities in the state that I can stomach for very long.

blaise
07-02-2013, 09:38 PM
I've lived in several cities on that list and spent a good deal of time in some others. I love Dallas, but Dallas is more plastic and snobby than any of the cities on that list I've lived in or visited.

KC native
07-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I've lived in several cities on that list and spent a good deal of time in some others. I love Dallas, but Dallas is more plastic and snobby than any of the cities on that list I've lived in or visited.

There is a good contingent of people in Dallas that try to make Dallas like LA.

AustinChief
07-02-2013, 09:46 PM
There is a good contingent of people in Dallas that try to make Dallas like LA.

Unfortunately Austin has it's California castoffs as well. Mostly NorCal, San Fran types.

KC native
07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately Austin has it's California castoffs as well. Mostly NorCal, San Fran types.

Yea, the sad thing is that it isn't the transplants. It's mostly people from Dallas.