PDA

View Full Version : Money PSA: Just got a call saying my debit card has been locked

Lzen
07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
I got a call on my cell phone from number "0000000000". It was a recording that said that my debit Mastercard was locked and to press "1" to start the process to unlock it. Needless to say, I hung up right then. Just wanted to pass this along just in case anyone is naive enough to fall for this scam.

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2011/08/oh-no-my-debit-card-has-been-locked/

Lzen
07-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention that I don't even have a debit Mastercard. :harumph:

houstonwhodat
07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Nigeria.

In58men
07-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Excessive bath salt purchases

Frosty
07-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I guess people actually fall for this or they wouldn't do it but it boggles the mind that people would believe it.

My favorite scam is the call claiming to be from Microsoft. They claim that our computer has a virus and want a bunch of info so they can fix it for us. LMAO I could see my elderly in-laws falling for something like that, though.

ReynardMuldrake
07-09-2013, 09:19 AM
File a complaint with the FCC. It's the only thing scammers understand. I file one every time I get a prerecorded sales call on my DNC-listed cell phone.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

BlackHelicopters
07-09-2013, 09:21 AM
NSA is monitoring you and your phone.

mr. tegu
07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Who answers a call from 000000000 in the first place?

Frazod
07-09-2013, 09:24 AM
File a complaint with the FCC. It's the only thing scammers understand. I file one every time I get a prerecorded sales call on my DNC-listed cell phone.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Lzen
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Who answers a call from 000000000 in the first place?

Me, apparently. It caught my curiosity.

kepp
07-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'm sure they'll get right on that.

I used to think the same thing. Then about 6 months ago I started getting persistent calls from the same company on my cell phone which is on the DNC list, so I filed several complaints. A real person from the FCC actually called me to get more information. I was shocked to learn that the gubment actually does something with that.

Dayze
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
check your statement for www.dangletangle.com

Lzen
07-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I used to think the same thing. Then about 6 months ago I started getting persistent calls from the same company on my cell phone which is on the DNC list, so I filed several complaints. A real person from the FCC actually called me to get more information. I was shocked to learn that the gubment actually does something with that.

They probably will check into it if they get a lot of complaints about the same thing.

Mr. Laz
07-09-2013, 09:55 AM
every so often i get a call from someone saying that my 'computer isn't connecting properly to the security update server' and i need to follow these instructions to ensure my computer is safe.

it's actually a person though

loochy
07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
every so often i get a call from someone saying that my 'computer isn't connecting properly to the security update server' and i need to follow these instructions to ensure my computer is safe.

it sounds like computer mumbo jumbo to confuse the non-tech-savvy,

that reminds me of telling someone that they need to change their blinker fluid and replace their robinson shaft.

Frazod
07-09-2013, 10:06 AM

I know it's not the same agency, but years ago some asshole got ahold of my debit card number after I bought tickets through Ticketmaster and started buying shit. I caught on almost immediately since I'm fairly anal about checking my account. The thief had used my card to purchase AOL service, among other things, and the lady I talked to at AOL had herself recently been a victim of the identity theft, so in violation of company policy she actually gave me the guy's name, address and telephone number, and terminated his service while we were on the phone. His last name was King and he lived somewhere in Orlando. So I called the Orlando police to report him - they asked me where I lived, and when I told them, they said to call my local police. Click. I called my local police, and they told me to call Orlando. Click. Eventually I got an e-mail address for some government agency and filed a report, but there was no phone number to call for follow-up, and all future inquiries went unanswered. To my knowledge, nothing ever happened to him. It really wasn't worth driving to Floriduh to beat his ass or at least slash his tires, since I ended up not losing anything but the time it took me to deal with the problem. But I had this thieving cocksucker's contact information, tried to turn him in, and nobody gave a damn. I guess they were all too busy writing speeding tickets. It really jaded me - like I wasn't jaded enough to begin with.

Mr. Laz
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
it sounds like computer mumbo jumbo to confuse the non-tech-savvy,

that reminds me of telling someone that they need to change their blinker fluid and replace their robinson shaft.
it is ... i played along once to see what they would do and they started having me go in and change the permissions for the firewall etc.

kepp
07-09-2013, 10:24 AM

ROFL do they try to talk like a robot?

AussieChiefsFan
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Nigeria.And their generous Princes.

MTG#10
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Nigeria.You really wanted to take off the I and A, and add another G in the middle and an S at the end didn't you?

Rasputin
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Nigeria.

Nightmare

frankotank
07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
oh YEAH! well I just got an email that my 4.5 million is ready for transfer DIRECTLY into my bank account! just as soon as I give them all of my....."pertinent info".

http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2011/04/soup-5271-c555.jpg

Dayze
07-09-2013, 11:52 AM
lol. that's kick ass.