PDA

View Full Version : Money Multi Level Marketing/Network Marketing

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Who's done it? Who does it? What your opinion of it?

Saulbadguy
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Dumbasses. Dumbasses. Only dumbasses do it.

Brock
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
It's for losers, exclusively.

ClevelandBronco
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
No.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Why the hate though?

Dante84
07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Shit's weak.

Your friends and family will hate you and talk shit behind your back. You will hate your job.

Dante84
07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
I still talk shit on a few guys who i used to be friends with, because of crossing the friend line and venturing into the "...but wait there's more" schtick.

Brock
07-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Why the hate though?

Speaking of hate, everyone you know will hate you when you start talking about it.

Bugeater
07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
LMAO

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Ok. But can money be made in those companies? Everyone will hate you and you're a loser, I get it. But in the end who makes the profit?

2bikemike
07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Think Pyramid Scheme, some people make money, usually the first ones in, especially the founder.

There are better ways to make money.

siberian khatru
07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
PM Luzap

ClevelandBronco
07-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Why the hate though?

Because you don't want to sell me shit. You really just want me to sign up for the downstream.

Ming the Merciless
07-09-2013, 08:33 PM
if you even have to ask who will make the money it won't be you, guaranteed

rageeumr
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Do something more honorable and just rob houses.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM

I'm not asking because I don't know. I just want opinions here.

Dante84
07-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Ok. But can money be made in those companies? Everyone will hate you and you're a loser, I get it. But in the end who makes the profit?

Are the employees commission only? If so, the founder.

The turnover is super high, so if Salary or Hourly, the founder could get his ass handed to him quickly because of shitty employees.

And you will get shitty employees, because those are the only ones dumb enough to work in that industry.

Dante84
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM

lolololol

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
I wonder if anyone here has ever tried it or experienced it?

You can come out. I won't call you a dumbass.

suzzer99
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
No but we all know idiots who have and didn't make any money while annoying the shit out of everyone around them in the process.

Dante84
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Sat in an interview right out of college and realized about halfway through that it was a joke, and never followed up.

suzzer99
07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
I went to an interview for a "warehouse job" at one of those caves under I-435. It turned out to be selling knives.

SPchief
07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Remember it's not the filters where you make the money, it's the licenses

Saul Good
07-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Have you ever bought a product from a multi level marketing company?

Ming the Merciless
07-09-2013, 08:50 PM

when I was like 18 (many moons ago) I was already working full time at a Sears selling craftsman tools and lawn mowers. I made a sale on a pretty expensive lawnmower and the customer was "impressed" by my sales "skills" and proceeded to tell me I could be making tons more. A natural salesman, I was intrigued. He didn't tell me much more but said , "hey there is a meeting in the city like 2 weeks from now, wanna go?" He said it was free dinner and he would drive so I figured nothing to lose.....I asked tons of questions but he kept everything REALLY vague and said it would be answered at the meeting....

SO I go to this meeting, everyone is all in suits and looking sharp....big slick presentation about MLM and how much money you could make and only at the very end did they "reveal" that it was Amway.

I was so pissed off I didn't know what to do...I didn't say much on the ride home....

Then like the next day there was this box of crap on my porch.......amway products and catalogs with a note that I owed him 200$...

I left it on my porch, called the dude and told him to come pick up the shit or i was going to throw it away.

The end.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 09:12 PM
PM Luzap

Yeah. That dude made it big. One of the original moderators at the Planet. He's very, very successful at MLM's.

My wife is fairly high up in Scentsy. There's no way I can quit working anytime soon but she does pretty well pushing stupid stinky wax and purses to housewives.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Have you ever bought a product from a multi level marketing company?

Yes. Once.

when I was like 18 (many moons ago) I was already working full time at a Sears selling craftsman tools and lawn mowers. I made a sale on a pretty expensive lawnmower and the customer was "impressed" by my sales "skills" and proceeded to tell me I could be making tons more. A natural salesman, I was intrigued. He didn't tell me much more but said , "hey there is a meeting in the city like 2 weeks from now, wanna go?" He said it was free dinner and he would drive so I figured nothing to lose.....I asked tons of questions but he kept everything REALLY vague and said it would be answered at the meeting....

SO I go to this meeting, everyone is all in suits and looking sharp....big slick presentation about MLM and how much money you could make and only at the very end did they "reveal" that it was Amway.

I was so pissed off I didn't know what to do...I didn't say much on the ride home....

Then like the next day there was this box of crap on my porch.......amway products and catalogs with a note that I owed him 200$...

I left it on my porch, called the dude and told him to come pick up the shit or i was going to throw it away.

The end.

And this sounds like a nightmare.

ReynardMuldrake

I tried one when I was 18 and trusted people. It left me very cynical about salespeople in particular.

To this day I've never bought anything from a salesman that was their idea. I hear a sales pitch and I just tune out.

Brock
He fucked a whole lot of people to get there, guaranteed.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 09:19 PM
He ****ed a whole lot of people to get there, guaranteed.

I'm no fan of MLM's nor an apologist but isn't that what we all do trying to make a buck? What's the difference between entering into a relationship with a car dealership or a cell phone company and doing business with an MLM?

loochy
07-09-2013, 09:24 PM

The people that own the business.

Saul Good
07-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes. Once.

So, out of all the MLMers out there, you've only purchased one item total from them. This should tell you everything you need to know about these scams. Clearly the money doesn't come from selling the shit. It comes from signing up suckers.

If you can't identify the sucker in a room with someone pushing a pyramid scheme...it's you.

Brock
07-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm no fan of MLM's nor an apologist but isn't that what we all do trying to make a buck? What's the difference between entering into a relationship with a car dealership or a cell phone company and doing business with an MLM?

Do we really have to pretend there is no difference between providing skilled labor or needed goods to customers and trying to snooker them into a pyramid scheme?

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
So, out of all the MLMers out there, you've only purchased one item total from them. This should tell you everything you need to know about these scams. Clearly the money doesn't come from selling the shit. It comes from signing up suckers.

If you can't identify the sucker in a room with someone pushing a pyramid scheme...it's you.

What if you're a sucker towards the top of the pyramid and the company explodes and is around for 50 years? Would decent money be made considering you're towards the top of a successful business?

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
http://www.freesocialmediagift.com/images/pyramidbusinessstructure.jpg

I don't entirely agree with this image. But to help Phobia's point.

Lex Luthor
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
What if you're a sucker towards the top of the pyramid and the company explodes and is around for 50 years? Would decent money be made considering you're towards the top of a successful business?
You obviously want to do this. So do it. Let us know how many millions of dollars you make.

Just don't ask any of us to join your pyramid. It's for fools and losers.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:31 PM
You obviously want to do this. So do it. Let us know how many millions of dollars you make.

I'm playing dumb right now, just seeing what people say out of curiosity.

Brock
07-09-2013, 09:33 PM
http://www.freesocialmediagift.com/images/pyramidbusinessstructure.jpg

I don't entirely agree with this image. But to help Phobia's point.

Phobia's point is idiotic because when he gets paid for building a deck, the customer has a deck. The fools you talk into buying into your scheme get ______________________.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Phobia's point is idiotic because when he gets paid for building a deck, the customer has a deck. The fools you talk into buying into your scheme get ______________________.

Ok. To continue my thoughts here. What if the people who get into the scheme are also getting a legitimate product in the end that is high quality? Maybe not a deck obviously, but still a quality product.

Ming the Merciless
07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Do we really have to pretend there is no difference between providing skilled labor or needed goods to customers and trying to snooker them into a pyramid scheme?

he isn't pretending, he is just too stupid to know the difference

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm not trying to be difficult. Just wanting to see things from every point of view.

Saul Good

If every person signs up just 20 people in their entire career, you can't even get halfway through the seventh level before every human being on the planet is signed up.

Phobia

I'm with you. I don't like MLM's and I wish my wife weren't involved. But it's just a commission based compensation. There are some pretty crappy ones but there are some legitimate ones as well. I'd rather work under a commission system and have a chance to better myself than work minimum wage.

Saul Good
07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Ok. To continue my thoughts here. What if the people who get into the scheme are also getting a legitimate product in the end that is high quality? Maybe not a deck obviously, but still a quality product.

Then why do they need to have their employees pay to work for them? If they are selling quality products at competitive prices, they can open a retail location and/or a website. They don't need people annoying their friends to drum up business.

salame
07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
hey man you sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
profit

Phobia
07-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Goods and in some cases, services. I think Luzap is pitching a physician network right now where you pay in and have access to medical care. I'm not saying MLM's are flawless. There's some good and some bad. The one my wife is in sells housewife crap. They're very good at developing products that housewives appreciate.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Then why do they need to have their employees pay to work for them? If they are selling quality products at competitive prices, they can open a retail location and/or a website. They don't need people annoying their friends to drum up business.

Yeah this is a good point. Why wouldn't they have their products on the market rather than having commission based employees/IBO's.

salame
07-09-2013, 09:41 PM
they sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
profit

did you read this yet
profit

KCrockaholic
Goods and in some cases, services. I think Luzap is pitching a physician network right now where you pay in and have access to medical care. I'm not saying MLM's are flawless. There's some good and some bad. The one my wife is in sells housewife crap. They're very good at developing products that housewives appreciate.

She making some money though?

KCrockaholic
they sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
they sign up ten guys
profit

Yes this is a clever idea.

alpha_omega
07-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Generally......Possible to make money, but overall most unlikely. Depends on the product too.

The MLM i am familiar with seems quite cult-like. No thanks.

salame
07-09-2013, 09:42 PM
pretty flawless imo

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Generally......Possible to make money, but overall most unlikely. Depends on the product too.

The MLM i am familiar with seems quite cult-like. No thanks.

Is that MLM a popular one?

Phobia
07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
She making some money though?

She can pay our mortgage every month working 15-20 hours a week mostly from home. She does better over the holidays because her products make good gifts. I can't stand it. I hate the products and I hate the compensation system. But it's not a horrible deal for a stay-at-home mom. It's not evil like some would have you believe. There are some evil MLM's out there, no doubt but if you find the right one at the right time you can make good bank.

Brock
07-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Bill Luznicky was hawking some idiotic "tunguska blast" jungleberry health drink a couple of years ago. Did you ever wonder why these people move from one scam product to the next? They are soulless human locusts, nothing more.

alpha_omega
07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Is that MLM a popular one?

Don't really know about popularity.

I only know that the pushy cult-like friends put a strain on friendships...even after you have politely said "no thanks" like ten times.

Brock
07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Tunguska Blast is a powerful dietary supplement originating from the meterorical events of 1908 in Tunguska, Russia that created an oasis of fertility where herbs and plants grow at four times their normal rate and to as much as three times their normal size.*This proprietary botanical formula provides nutrition that supports your immune system, improves mental clarity, helps you*loose weight, sleep better and*reduces the overall affects of harmful cortisol levels created by stress on your body.

Tunguska Blast is awesome! We’re sleeping better, waking up more refreshed, and feeling more alert during the day.”*Bill & Consuelo LuznickyTexas

LMAO

alpha_omega
07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
She can pay our mortgage every month working 15-20 hours a week mostly from home.

That sounds pretty damn good.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Bill Luznicky was hawking some idiotic "tunguska blast" jungleberry health drink a couple of years ago. Did you ever wonder why these people move from one scam product to the next? They are soulless human locusts, nothing more.

I really can't speak to that one. No clue. Good research.

ChiefsCountry
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Mary Kay the ultimate pyramid marketing machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
She can pay our mortgage every month working 15-20 hours a week mostly from home. She does better over the holidays because her products make good gifts. I can't stand it. I hate the products and I hate the compensation system. But it's not a horrible deal for a stay-at-home mom. It's not evil like some would have you believe. There are some evil MLM's out there, no doubt but if you find the right one at the right time you can make good bank.

Good work on her part then getting in at the right time.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Mary Kay the ultimate pyramid marketing machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
That sounds pretty damn good.

She could do as well working a $20 an hour job but this gives her flexibility and no childcare. She's at their national convention this week and I'm at home with the kids so I'm pretty negative towards it right now. But they sell legitimate products that people really like so the company sustains itself. They do a lot of stuff well. I just don't like the products and the time away from family but she lets me do what I want to do and I let her do what she likes to do. She seems to like this and she's good at it. But I definitely get the anti-MLM criticism. It's just not accurate to group them all into the same basket.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Good work on her part then getting in at the right time.

I don't know about that. Her friend got in at the right time. Her husband quit his job a couple years back and they do very, very well.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't know about that. Her friend got in at the right time. Her husband quit his job a couple years back and they do very, very well.

So she probably got in just a tad too late then?

TimeForWasp
07-09-2013, 10:05 PM

I tried hard at it and lost my ass. The Gurus set these things up and have one hell of a sales pitch. They always make money and ditch the program when it slows down. You see the same names in each program and they are very convincing. I was working and making money so it didn't make me destitute, but if I was doing only that, it would have fucked me up. It kind of gets in your blood ,probably like gambling. I got in a couple of them that I swore I was gonna make it big. Total disappointment.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
I tried hard at it and lost my ass. The Gurus set these things up and have one hell of a sales pitch. They always make money and ditch the program when it slows down. You see the same names in each program and they are very convincing. I was working and making money so it didn't make me destitute, but if I was doing only that, it would have ****ed me up. It kind of gets in your blood ,probably like gambling. I got in a couple of them that I swore I was gonna make it big. Total disappointment.

Well they say only 97% of the people in these things ever succeed. Maybe it's your turn to be part of the 3%? Just kidding. Stay out if it's not been working for you.

cdcox
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
The brother of one of my college roommates has done quite well in a MLM business. But he is at the very top of the pyramid. He did Herbalife for several years with little success before hitting it big with his current product line. I would rather live in a tent than support myself this way.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
So she probably got in just a tad too late then?

I think so. She says I'm wrong. She's kinda plateaued and I think the market is saturated with people selling these items. The gals who do really, really well are the ones who have the trade shows, festivals, and state fairs where the products fly off the shelves but it's not just about selling. It's about finding suckers who will sign up under you and also sell. She needs one more gal to hit a director level and then she'll get a hefty raise in commission but it's tough to get those people. I'm frustrated with it. She's not. She earns the incentive trips and I guess that's nice but I'd really rather have the money and pay for my own vacation where I want to go with people I want to go with.

Phobia
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
The brother of one of my college roommates has done quite well in a MLM business. But he is at the very top of the pyramid. He did Herbalife for several years with little success before hitting it big with his current product line. I would rather live in a tent than support myself this way.

I'd be good at it if there were a product about which I were passionate. I haven't seen one yet. But I really dislike the concept anyway. I run from every person trying to pitch me.

KCrockaholic
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM

I would typically think that by the time the company is well known it's already too late to get in if you expect to be making $250,000+ per year.

SuperChief
07-09-2013, 10:48 PM
I tried my hand at a MLM once. It simply wasn't for me. I didn't like the concept of hitting up my friends and family constantly, offering a product I was only half-assed interested in/proud of.

I think some people thrive in that environment, though. Call them what you want, but it's a successful business to some people. And you know what - more power to them. I won't complain about another person's success because I couldn't hack it.

TimeForWasp
07-09-2013, 10:52 PM
The Gurus use the bait and switch method. They look for people wanting to make money, get you in and then you end up being a customer. If you accept and try to work the system it doesn't matter to them. You are just another sucker who accepts their mass emails. I got rid of my old email for that reason. It turns into a spam receptacle no matter what you do. You have to go automated and send mass emails out. I just didn't like the feel of it. And it is correct that friends and family take a long time to get over the sales pitch, even if you pay their way in to it. I put hundreds of dollars into it.

SPchief
07-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I think so. She says I'm wrong. She's kinda plateaued and I think the market is saturated with people selling these items. The gals who do really, really well are the ones who have the trade shows, festivals, and state fairs where the products fly off the shelves but it's not just about selling. It's about finding suckers who will sign up under you and also sell. She needs one more gal to hit a director level and then she'll get a hefty raise in commission but it's tough to get those people. I'm frustrated with it. She's not. She earns the incentive trips and I guess that's nice but I'd really rather have the money and pay for my own vacation where I want to go with people I want to go with.

So she needs one more blue ribbon to qualify to be the Heimlech county rep at the national convention down in Dallas?

cdcox
07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
I would typically think that by the time the company is well known it's already too late to get in if you expect to be making $250,000+ per year.

Interestingly, this company had been around for a loooooong time. But it isn't that well known even now.

-King-
07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
So she needs one more blue ribbon to qualify to be the Heimlech county rep at the national convention down in Dallas?

LMAO LMAO

SPchief
07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
LMAO LMAO

I'm kind of shocked my first one didn't get a reaction from someone

SPchief
07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
It was a little more subtle though

houstonwhodat
07-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Most MLM's are a waste of time though there are some good products.

Mary K, Shaklee, Amway, Herbal Life are all MLM's.

Most of the time you make your money by signing up new recruits.

But there have been instances where people actually have a book of business.

If you set it up that way and train your people to do the same you can make some serious cash.

Only problem is MLM's have such a negative stigma people will judge and run from you before you get a chance to explain what the hell it is you are selling.

So just what is this opportunity someone presented to you?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-10-2013, 06:41 AM
My honest opinion is that they are sales job for occultists. If you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid, knock on doors, alienate your friends and family, then you could very possibly make a bunch of money. If you're dedicated. But then again, you can make a bunch of money doing a lot of things if you're dedicated.

houstonwhodat
07-10-2013, 06:50 AM
I'd like to know what MLM he is talking about.

Obviously someone is hitting him up for something or he saw something somewhere he is interested in.

BigCatDaddy
07-10-2013, 07:02 AM
They are the debil.

Phobia
07-10-2013, 07:35 AM
My honest opinion is that they are sales job for occultists. If you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid, knock on doors, alienate your friends and family, then you could very possibly make a bunch of money. If you're dedicated. But then again, you can make a bunch of money doing a lot of things if you're dedicated.

You're right in many ways. But if the products are something people want and you're not pushy, your family doesn't feel alienated. Yeah, the Amways of this world are for funny people.

Phobia
07-10-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm kind of shocked my first one didn't get a reaction from someone

Don't be. Sometimes I'm unpredictable.

The Rick
07-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I have some experience with MLM. My wife's side of the family (her brother and her mom) were heavily involved a number of years back with an MLM company called Excel/VarTec. It was a telecommunications company (telephone service, long distance, cell phone service, etc.).

My brother-in-law and his friend were in their early 20s at the time and made a killing. They did it full time and had a ton of monthly income coming in. They were driving Escalades and Lexuses, took trips to Cancun, owned nice condos, big screen TVs, etc. Then the company suddenly folded one day and that was that. Suddenly their monthly income went to zero and they were bankrupt.

Obviously, if they would have lived a little more frugally and invested some of the money they were making, things would have turned out a little better. However, they almost had to live a flashy lifestyle like they were to achieve the success they had. Part of their gig in recruiting others was showing off their success. They made a killing recruiting other young people like them.

That was probably 8-10 years ago. I got involved and pretty much broke even. It never worked for me. Today, my brother-in-law is fine. He finished college and has a good job and everything. I don't think he'll ever forget how he got burnt though.

As for my mother-in-law, she was involved with the same company as my brother-in-law (he got her in). She's bounced around from MLM to MLM since which is a major turnoff for me. I don't think she's ever been successful. I think (don't know for certain) she loses money each year as she waits for her "big break".

The thing that really turns me off about her involvement in MLMs is she always follows the lead of some of her higher ups (upline is the MLM term). They jump to a new one and they get their "downline" including my mother-in-law to follow along, resulting in profit for them. And all the while, my wife and I get to hear about how great THIS new company is every time it happens. Every new MLM company is always so much better than the previous ones. Meanwhile, she just keeps right on throwing away money year in and year out.

In summary, MLMs can work. I've seen it first hand. As others have said though, you have to be really good at it. You have to be a big shmoozer and can't be bothered hitting up family, friends, strangers, etc. But it can be gone in an instant too. And if you're not good at it, you can end up bouncing around, following your "mentors", and losing money while everyone else profits off of you.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-10-2013, 09:56 AM

The car dealer doesn't cold call me and hound me to be a "part of his team".

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 10:00 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/30d9wdt.gif

Iowanian
07-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey! This is a family member who never calls you, and I wondered what you are doing tomorrow, I'd like to drop by.

Are you happy where you are? Could you use a little more money? Give me $300 and I'll give you a box and an opportunity for you to sell boxes like these to your friends for $300....and if enough of them sell boxes to their friends...Profit!

I'll be retired in 5 years. Would you like to retire early? I'll be in Hawaii 3 months of the year.

Predarat
07-10-2013, 10:29 AM
LOL try getting hired on to one of those MLM selling Super Green Algae Pills. In all honesty if you want to try one, try Primerica, it selling types of insurance and if they think you are cool enough, you can join their cult.

A Salt Weapon
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I got into a fairly new one in CO when I was selling merchant processing ( basically any business that takes credit cards pays someone to process them) I hit up every business I signed up. Made money on it, bout 1k/week, towards the end. Wasn't hitting up friends/family though and really didn't care about the business owners I was signing up. Most business owners are dumb and if they think another business owner is making money off something they usually want to play too.