PDA

View Full Version : Life I won my secret internal battle.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I stopped smoking on April 8th 2013, I stopped drinking on July 8th 2013. I have been having secret internal battles with myself for many, many years. I came clean to my wife last night about my drinking problem. My secret internal battles are no longer a secret. I wish I could fast forward 6 months to prove to my wife and myself that I'm sincere. This is a GOOD ****ING DAY. I wanted to post this on here because this is my version of shouting out to the world, and none of you good people know me. Ya'll have a good day, ya hear? Way to go ME!

Bugeater
07-10-2013, 11:08 AM
I know you, you're bogey, formerly known as bogie.

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
good deal dude!

Ace Gunner
07-10-2013, 11:11 AM
you FTW

(it's okay to grow out of habits)

rageeumr
07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Maybe this question is too personal, but how bad could your drinking problem have been if your wife didn't even know about it?

Predarat
07-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Well done, awesome job! You tell 'em your coming, and Hells coming with you!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ynKoZD-sFi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge
07-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Good for you man. How bad was the drinking problem? Your wife didn't say anything?

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Maybe this question is too personal, but how bad could your drinking problem have been if your wife didn't even know about it?

very bad, stashed bottles (gin) all over the place, nurse a beer all night and week-ends to cover the smell. start drinking on my drive in to work, drink at lunch and on my drive home.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I know you, you're bogey, formerly known as bogie.

yep that's me. :)

aturnis
07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
I stopped smoking on April 8th 2013, I stopped drinking on July 8th 2013. I have been having secret internal battles with myself for many, many years. I came clean to my wife last night about my drinking problem. My secret internal battles are no longer a secret. I wish I could fast forward 6 months to prove to my wife and myself that I'm sincere. This is a GOOD ****ING DAY. I wanted to post this on here because this is my version of shouting out to the world, and none of you good people know me. Ya'll have a good day, ya hear? Way to go ME!

Coming out of the closet is a big deal man. Congrats!

Just kidding. Good job and good luck.

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I've done a LOT better. Used to drink basically every day after work/beer etc.
got to where I might only have beers on 1 or 2 nights a week.

I'd like to stop altogether with the exception of cookouts, games etc.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
you FTW

I have a very addictive personality. It's gotta be quick and cold turkey for me.

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
my problem is binge drinking when I do drink.
can't just have 1 or 2.

I'm going to work on that next.

tooge
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
very bad, stashed bottles (gin) all over the place, nurse a beer all night and week-ends to cover the smell. start drinking on my drive in to work, drink at lunch and on my drive home.

Damn man. Not wanting to be Debbie Downer, but you haven't won yet. Sounds like it'll be a tough row to hoe to really kick the alcohol. Good on you for fessing up to the wife though. That should help. Best wishes to you.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
I've done a LOT better. Used to drink basically every day after work/beer etc.
got to where I might only have beers on 1 or 2 nights a week.

I'd like to stop altogether with the exception of cookouts, games etc.

If I could have a cigarette once in a while and a drink on special occasions I would. Unfortunately, I can't. It's the cookouts, football and nice dinners and drinks with friends that I'll miss. Funny this is, I will still have cookouts, football and nice dinners with friends. Just no booze.

Rasputin
07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Good job admitting you have a problem. :thumb:

It's only the beginning, things will turn out great but remember take it one day at a time and don't skip to 6 months. Time will be on your side if you keep true to yourself.

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:28 AM
If I could have a cigarette once in a while and a drink on special occasions I would. Unfortunately, I can't. It's the cookouts, football and nice dinners and drinks with friends that I'll miss. Funny this is, I will still have cookouts, football and nice dinners with friends. Just no booze.

same here. Though I did go to a memorial day cookout without bringing any booze or consuming any. It's tough for sure.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:30 AM
can't just have 1 or 2.

Me too. All day binge drinking. I'm lucky I still have a job. I'm quite sure people could smell it on me. Lots of gum and altoids. Wow! Keeping the secret wore me the f out.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Coming out of the closet is a big deal man. Congrats!

Just kidding. Good job and good luck.

I think it's very important to come out of the closet. I know longer want to have the private internal battles. Now I have friends to cheer me on and route for me. Feel goooood to be out of the closet.

BlackHelicopters
07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Best wishes!

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
subscribe to this thread and post when/if you get the urge for a drink. might help?

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Damn man. Not wanting to be Debbie Downer, but you haven't won yet. Sounds like it'll be a tough row to hoe to really kick the alcohol. Good on you for fessing up to the wife though. That should help. Best wishes to you.

Today... I'm a winner! Right now I can say with all sincerity that I will never drink again, and it make me giddy :clap: Tomorrow I will congratulate myself on what I did yesterday and so on, and so on.

aturnis
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
can't just have 1 or 2.

Same here, but for different reasons.

If I only have 1 or 2, I typically end up with a terrible headache within the hour. So for me, Binge drinking is the only way to go, which is fine, b/c I drink much much less than I used to, like 8 times a year since I had my son who is 2.5.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Good job admitting you have a problem. :thumb:

It's only the beginning, things will turn out great but remember take it one day at a time and don't skip to 6 months. Time will be on your side if you keep true to yourself.

Thank you so much!

listopencil
07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Today... I'm a winner! Right now I can say with all sincerity that I will never drink again, and it make me giddy :clap: Tomorrow I will congratulate myself on what I did yesterday and so on, and so on.

Keep it up, bud. You're right. You are a winner.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
subscribe to this thread and post when/if you get the urge for a drink. might help?

Absolutely and I appreciate your interest.

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
shit I might need to post in here too lol.

I did do a stint of about 4 months sober. One thing that did help me a little was volunteering to be the DD when going out. Sort of gave me incentive not to, and felt good knowing everyone was going to get home safe if they needed it.

sounds like you've got all the motivation you need.

lcarus
07-10-2013, 11:40 AM

I know how that is. That's why it's so hard for me to quit smoking. My brain always tricks me into thinking "Just have one! It'll be ok if you just have one!" but if you have one, it turns into two, then you buy a pack thinking you can keep it around to smoke a cig every once in a while. Then you suck down the whole pack and are back to square one. It sucks.

Predarat
07-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Just wait until the season starts.

Halfcan
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Great job. It is nice to see someone stepping up, admitting they have a problem and working to overcome it. Most just blame others for why they are messed up and never do get things straightened out.

Best of luck to you!!

Donger
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Wow, I can't imagine actually wanting to drink alcohol in the morning, let alone actually doing it.

Best of luck with your fight.

Rasputin
07-10-2013, 11:42 AM

That is all good intentions but no way can you proclaim this to be true. Say stay sober today and get through the day. Celebrate each day you stay sober but don't put pressure on yourself for the rest of your life. It only sets you up for a fall.

If I said I'd never drink again I'd be a liar. I haven't drank from October 4 2009 & am thankful for my sobriety, but it's all been one day at a time.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:47 AM

I did do a stint of about 4 months sober. One thing that did help me a little was volunteering to be the DD when going out. Sort of gave me incentive not to, and felt good knowing everyone was going to get home safe if they needed it.

That's a great idea!!

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
I know how that is. That's why it's so hard for me to quit smoking. My brain always tricks me into thinking "Just have one! It'll be ok if you just have one!" but if you have one, it turns into two, then you buy a pack thinking you can keep it around to smoke a cig every once in a while. Then you suck down the whole pack and are back to square one. It sucks.

yep. I think for me it's the same with alcohol.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Just wait until the season starts.

If I can get through a season of Chiefs without drinking, I'm home free!

Rasputin
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM

Kind of a good idea if the spirit is strong & good will. Yet if you hang out at a barber shop long enough you will eventually get a haircut. AmIright?

Mr_Tomahawk
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I have a similar internal battle with Tyler Bray.

Dayze
07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Kind of a good idea if the spirit is strong & good will. Yet if you hang out at a barber shop long enough you will eventually get a haircut. AmIright?

yeah. I was tough a few times. but after a couple nights out, it wasn't 'as' bad.

Mojo Jojo
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM

I had a drinking problem too. I went cold turkey...because iy was the only way for me. I find now at cookouts, games or nice dinners I don't miss it. The only time I do is when there is a lot of stress. Good luck to you man..it's not easy, but can be done.

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Great job. It is nice to see someone stepping up, admitting they have a problem and working to overcome it. Most just blame others for why they are messed up and never do get things straightened out.

Best of luck to you!!

While I was having "the talk" with my wife, I made it very clear that there was no one to blame except myself. She had so many questions like, "do you think this is why you would get so angry" or "do you think this made you check out of our family?" etc

bogey
07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Wow, I can't imagine actually wanting to drink alcohol in the morning, let alone actually doing it.

Best of luck with your fight.

That first morning buzz was the best of the day, just like the first cigarette of the day.

Superbowltrashcan
07-10-2013, 12:03 PM
While I was having "the talk" with my wife, I made it very clear that there was no one to blame except myself. She had so many questions like, "do you think this is why you would get so angry" or "do you think this made you check out of our family?" etc

Have you considered doing something special for the two of you with the money you will be saving not smoking and drinking? Perhaps a family vacation? Something doable quickly. Maybe paying off any lingering bills? My brother did this for a while at the start and it really made him feel a sense of accomplishment when he knocked out a couple revolving credits and then took a weekend trip with the Mrs.

It has been about ten years and I think now it is a Christmas Club type account.

houstonwhodat
07-10-2013, 12:03 PM

How many DWI's do you have?

Superbowltrashcan
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Even ten years ago as a pack and a half a day smoker and a two cases a week drinker he was looking at over $200 a month...

frankotank
07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
wow! good luck man.

I too quit drinking on July 8th! I'm on a cleansing thing with my wife and it requires no alcohol for 24 days. I don't know if I can do it. I don't think I'm an alchy...but damn man....24 days! and you are going for life. I salute you dude!

as others have stated....I almost never have 1 or 3...UNLESS they are of very high ABV. to me it seem a waste of calories if you ain't gonna get that little buzz. and really....why do you drink? for the buzz...right? so I'm an all or nothing. gimmee 0 or gimme 6.

24 days. I don't know man. I like me some beer. **** I don't do drugs (anymore :D)...so can't a brutha get some booze buzz every once in a while?

man I'm tripping on 24 days....you're gong for life.....maybe I DO have a problem....

Buehler445
07-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Best of luck bud. Stay strong.

bogey
07-10-2013, 12:09 PM
How many DWI's do you have?

Good question... 0.0

bogey
07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
wow! good luck man.

I too quit drinking on July 8th! I'm on a cleansing thing with my wife and it requires no alcohol for 24 days. I don't know if I can do it. I don't think I'm an alchy...but damn man....24 days! and you are going for life. I salute you dude!

as others have stated....I almost never have 1 or 3...UNLESS they are of very high ABV. to me it seem a waste of calories if you ain't gonna get that little buzz. and really....why do you drink? for the buzz...right? so I'm an all or nothing. gimmee 0 or gimme 6.

24 days. I don't know man. I like me some beer. **** I don't do drugs (anymore :D)...so can't a brutha get some booze buzz every once in a while?

man I'm tripping on 24 days....you're gong for life.....maybe I DO have a problem....

I am convinced that I am an alcoholic. My Grandmother was, my Mother is, my brother is, a couple of my cousins are. It's gotta be all or nothing for me.

AussieChiefsFan
07-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Good luck man. Stay strong.

scho63
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Coming off alcohol is neither easy or fun.

You may need some doctor's help because cold turkey with as much as you are drinking is going to do all kinds of crazy shit to your system. The body does not like alcohol detox and it's the only detox withdrawl that can kill you, so be careful handling this on your own.

Good luck and much success!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-10-2013, 01:29 PM

I've recently stopped drinking because I feared it was coming to the point you're at, and leaving. Good job! Go us!

KCUnited
07-10-2013, 01:31 PM

:eek:

bogey
07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Coming off alcohol is neither easy or fun.

You may need some doctor's help because cold turkey with as much as you are drinking is going to do all kinds of crazy shit to your system. The body does not like alcohol detox and it's the only detox withdrawl that can kill you, so be careful handling this on your own.

Good luck and much success!

Thanks

bogey
07-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I've recently stopped drinking because I feared it was coming to the point you're at, and leaving. Good job! Go us!

Congrats! Go us indeed!

Rasputin
07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Don't even bother drinking N/A Beer or drinks that claim no alcohol. All that does is set you up for big time fail & go back to drinking. That was my experience with it to try to please the wife that I was serious to quit drinking. You crave alcohol not because you want it but because you must.

Alcohol is the biggest lie, it makes white people think they can dance.

Ming the Merciless
07-10-2013, 02:12 PM
cool man!

bogey
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Don't even bother drinking N/A Beer or drinks that claim no alcohol. All that does is set you up for big time fail & go back to drinking. That was my experience with it to try to please the wife that I was serious to quit drinking. You crave alcohol not because you want it but because you must.

But I CAN dance. :)

Ace Gunner
07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I call alcohol "the superman drug" because it turns folks into super ________

Fat Elvis
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I wish you the best of luck; having alcoholics in the family, I can tell you it is a bitch.

Rasputin
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
But I CAN dance. :)

I'm sure you can I believe you..

:D

bogey
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I wish you the best of luck; having alcoholics in the family, I can tell you it is a bitch.

Thank you sir. Yep, my family has generations of folks with very addictive personalities.

Fish
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I have a drinking problem, but I'm able to control it enough that I've never felt like doing anything about it. Good for you for taking that step and addressing it. Especially if it was causing problems with the family. I hope you stick with it. Best of luck.

bogey
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I have a drinking problem, but I'm able to control it enough that I've never felt like doing anything about it. Good for you for taking that step and addressing it. Especially if it was causing problems with the family. I hope you stick with it. Best of luck.

Thank you. Yes, my two most important reasons for quitting are family and health.

teedubya
07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Maybe this will inspire me to stop banging hot Korean hookers? LOL

houstonwhodat
07-10-2013, 03:35 PM
wow! good luck man.

How are you cleansing?

BigRedChief
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I am convinced that I am an alcoholic. My Grandmother was, my Mother is, my brother is, a couple of my cousins are. It's gotta be all or nothing for me.My Dad was an alcholic. Drank a case of beer a day for 25+ years. I drank like a fish for 10 years. I stopped getting drunk all the time. Drink when I want to drink. Don't get drunk now. I don't understand this one drink and your a drunk again all the time.

BigRedChief
07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Maybe this will inspire me to stop banging hot Korean hookers? LOLYou need to save your money for housing in California anyway.

Brock
07-10-2013, 05:24 PM
My Dad was an alcholic. Drank a case of beer a day for 25+ years. I drank like a fish for 10 years. I stopped getting drunk all the time. Drink when I want to drink. Don't get drunk now. I don't understand this one drink and your a drunk again all the time.

What? A subject you're not an expert in?

bogey
My Dad was an alcholic. Drank a case of beer a day for 25+ years. I drank like a fish for 10 years. I stopped getting drunk all the time. Drink when I want to drink. Don't get drunk now. I don't understand this one drink and your a drunk again all the time.

I'm just speaking for myself. I'm not very good at disciplining myself. I need to stop completely or I won't be able to have control. Goofy as that sounds.

Psyko Tek
some how I read that as secretly internet battle

was hoping for a styore of humiliation and cold, cold revenge served up onna message board

but congrats anyway, great accomplishments

Deberg_1990
07-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Is it a problem if your able to control it?

bogey
07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
some how I read that as secretly internet battle

was hoping for a styore of humiliation and cold, cold revenge served up onna message board

but congrats anyway, great accomplishments

Ha! No I look at this demon face to face in the every morning.

Phobia
07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Congrats. Very impressive. I've never struggled with drinking. I used to play softball completely sober. I couldn't understand how people could compete while drinking. Then I got on a team of drinkers and I'm finding that I drink heavily when I go to the park even when I play with other teams. I need to remedy this before it becomes a problem.

Brock
07-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Why would a non-problem need controlled?

Fish
07-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Yes. When control necessitates avoiding certain situations because of it. I'm limiting what I do because some things I can't do without overdoing it.

Brianfo
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Congrats dude. I have the same personality and the same habits as you. Minus the smoking. Just like to drink way too much. I am a functioning alcoholic, but there will come a day when I will just quit. That's how I roll.

Bwana
07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Good for you dude, stay strong.

WilliamTheIrish
07-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Good luck to you bogey.

I'm 24 years clean and sober. I still owe my life to the guy who took me to my first meeting.

For me "sick and tired of being sick and tired" led me to turn it around.

And before anybody asks: DUI's: 0

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
you FTW

I think it's a little more than a habit bro - no offense.

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Bogey - first of all it's great to see you post - second; if I can ever offer you individual accountability - feel free to PM at any time. I'll respond ASAP - I know how the road is - and honestly - it's not hard (at least for me)

You're speaking as if it's in your past - that's a good start. So you were closet drinking - I used to do that as well.

Others on CP'ers need to look into this - at last count roughly 27% of CP'ers have at least 'somewhat' of a drinking problem.

There's nothing like being sober all of the time and aware. It's irreplaceable. Your liver will thank you!

Next try to improve your diet.

Congrats Bogey, I've been off of alcohol for approaching four years now.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-10-2013, 07:16 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL So true, and so fucking funny.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM

If not for my weight, you and I would be peas in a pod. I go to work every day, perform through the infrequent hangover, and have no problems outside of the fact I have to wear every fucking ounce of it I consume.

Fat Elvis
07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Thank you sir. Yep, my family has generations of folks with very addictive personalities.

Oh, and go to meetings. They help. A lot. Especially when you relapse. Guilt over not being perfect can really hinder a person's sobriety.

BigRedChief
07-10-2013, 07:41 PM
What? A subject you're not an expert in?Are you following me around? I have a personal stalker? Do I need a restraining order or you are going to come and beat me up?

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Oh, and go to meetings. They help. A lot. Especially when you relapse. Guilt over not being perfect can really hinder a person's sobriety.

not true at all - you can't excuse a relapse. period. I mean the meetings help thing is - but not the other part.

BTW I didn't even use AA. this time.

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
don't you fucking relapse bogey. There's no looking back.

BigRedChief
07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm just speaking for myself. I'm not very good at disciplining myself. I need to stop completely or I won't be able to have control. Goofy as that sounds.I know. It's that way for a lot of people. I quit smoking the first time I tried but, I'm a fat ass so obviously my willpower comes and goes ;) Good luck and hope it works out for ya.

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 07:46 PM
I know. It's that way for a lot of people. I quit smoking the first time I tried but, I'm a fat ass so obviously my willpower comes and goes ;) Good luck and hope it works out for ya.

he can't socially drink - we're not wired that way.

You were just drinking in your youth - I don't believe you're an alcoholic.

Deberg_1990
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I've been off of alcohol for approaching four years now.

Congrats dude!

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
he can't socially drink - we're not wired that way.

You were just drinking in your youth - I don't believe you're an alcoholic.

BRC I don't think you were indicating otherwise, I just wanted to point out that we can't compare our experiences to yours. We just see it all differently - alcohol that is.

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Congrats dude!

well thanks - it's like a non topic now - more of a 'way of life' I never even think about it. seriously - but thanks again.

BigRedChief
07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
BRC I don't think you were indicating otherwise, I just wanted to point out that we can't compare our experiences to yours. We just see it all differently - alcohol that is.Yeah, I've had friends that just had a beer and thats it, they are drinking again. For whatever reason, some people just taste alcohol and they cant think of anything but the next drink. Must be hard as hell to avoid temptation. Cudos to you, and everyone else successfully battling this daily.

Fish
07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
If not for my weight, you and I would be peas in a pod. I go to work every day, perform through the infrequent hangover, and have no problems outside of the fact I have to wear every fucking ounce of it I consume.

Yeah I manage alcoholism about as well as one can. Perfect example of a functional alcoholic. Not proud of it, as I know I've gotten by on luck more times than a fella deserves. Only thing keeping it going is how overly cautious I am about it. I can still completely refrain when I have to. When I'm driving or when I'm with my daughter. But when I have no responsibility, I drink like I have no responsibility....

Sadly, about 1/2 of my caloric intake is beer and I lessen my intake of food because I drink so many calories. It's pathetic, But I manage it well. I know I should and could change my ways....

Marcellus
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Good job Bogey!

KCwolf
07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
If I can get through a season of Chiefs without drinking, I'm home free!

If You can do that .... your cured. Period.

Rasputin
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
If You can do that .... your cured. Period.

Until next season of DOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

Nope your never cured. PERIOD.

Even if we ever win a playoff game again that leads to a Championship & win that. Then all bets are off about drinking. So there is no "cure". Just another day is what we got.

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I've had friends that just had a beer and thats it, they are drinking again. For whatever reason, some people just taste alcohol and they cant think of anything but the next drink. Must be hard as hell to avoid temptation. Cudos to you, and everyone else successfully battling this daily.

ty BRC - I appreciate it, it's really nothing now - i'm immune to temptation - for it is my little bitch.

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Congrats dude. I have the same personality and the same habits as you. Minus the smoking. Just like to drink way too much. I am a functioning alcoholic, but there will come a day when I will just quit. That's how I roll.

Yea, I was a functioning alcoholic as well. I got tired of living a secret life. Huge monkey off of my back.

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Good for you dude, stay strong.

Thanks Bwana.

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Good luck to you bogey.

I'm 24 years clean and sober. I still owe my life to the guy who took me to my first meeting.

For me "sick and tired of being sick and tired" led me to turn it around.

And before anybody asks: DUI's: 0

That's exactly right... sick and tired of being sick and tired. I tried a meeting several months ago. Little to religion oriented for me. But really glad it's worked for you. You must be an old fart like me if you quit 24 years ago.

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Bogey - first of all it's great to see you post - second; if I can ever offer you individual accountability - feel free to PM at any time. I'll respond ASAP - I know how the road is - and honestly - it's not hard (at least for me)

You're speaking as if it's in your past - that's a good start. So you were closet drinking - I used to do that as well.

Others on CP'ers need to look into this - at last count roughly 27% of CP'ers have at least 'somewhat' of a drinking problem.

There's nothing like being sober all of the time and aware. It's irreplaceable. Your liver will thank you!

Next try to improve your diet.

Congrats Bogey, I've been off of alcohol for approaching four years now.

Thanks SR, words to live by. Gotta tell you, there's some great support on this site. And yes sir, if I have a weak moment, you can count on a PM. My wife is fabulous, more understanding than I deserve really. We got an invitation to one of my favorite restaurants for this Friday. They make the best Bombay martinis in town (big glass). It's going to be an interesting test... but I'm sure I'll be fine. Love CP! Lovin' life right now. My diets pretty good, my wife sees to that. Think my next step is exercise.

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
not true at all - you can't excuse a relapse. period. I mean the meetings help thing is - but not the other part.

BTW I didn't even use AA. this time.

Yea, no AA for me, NTTAWWT

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
don't you ****ing relapse bogey. There's no looking back.

:clap: Right on Brother!

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah I manage alcoholism about as well as one can. Perfect example of a functional alcoholic. Not proud of it, as I know I've gotten by on luck more times than a fella deserves. Only thing keeping it going is how overly cautious I am about it. I can still completely refrain when I have to. When I'm driving or when I'm with my daughter. But when I have no responsibility, I drink like I have no responsibility....

Sadly, about 1/2 of my caloric intake is beer and I lessen my intake of food because I drink so many calories. It's pathetic, But I manage it well. I know I should and could change my ways....

How old are you Fish? I'm 55, I could really tell it was having negative affects on my health. I don't have tons of years left, and because I was hiding it, that added a new level of horrible stress. Used to, I would get home 30 minutes later because I'd stop at the side of the road and have a few snorts. That last two days, I came straight home from work with no worries of smell, no guilt from sitting on the side of the road like a drunk or getting home later than necessary. A couple of little things that made me smile.

bogey
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Good job Bogey!

Thanks Marcellus

C3HIEF3S
07-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Nice Job Bogey!

KCrockaholic
07-10-2013, 11:31 PM
For myself when I started to notice I was drinking everyday I turned my want for whiskey/beer into a need for working out and running a couple miles. I started to replace the alcohol with working out and it's worked for me. Went from drinking 5-6 nights a week, to about 2. And I used to binge drink. Now I'm happy with just 2 or 3 beers.

Weighed 182 at the beginning of March, and now I weigh 160, and got as low as 156lbs. The fat came off fast.

Phobia
07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Congrats. Very impressive. I've never struggled with drinking. I used to play softball completely sober. I couldn't understand how people could compete while drinking. Then I got on a team of drinkers and I'm finding that I drink heavily when I go to the park even when I play with other teams. I need to remedy this before it becomes a problem.

Played ball tonight. Didn't have a drop. Didn't give it a second thought. Play with a couple of guys who have been struggling with alcoholism in their lives on tomorrow's team so I think I'm going to be sober in support of them as well.

teedubya
07-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Played ball tonight. Didn't have a drop. Didn't give it a second thought. Play with a couple of guys who have been struggling with alcoholism in their lives on tomorrow's team so I think I'm going to be sober in support of them as well.

Nicely done, sir.

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Sweet

Simply Red
07-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks SR, words to live by. Gotta tell you, there's some great support on this site. And yes sir, if I have a weak moment, you can count on a PM. My wife is fabulous, more understanding than I deserve really. We got an invitation to one of my favorite restaurants for this Friday. They make the best Bombay martinis in town (big glass). It's going to be an interesting test... but I'm sure I'll be fine. Love CP! Lovin' life right now. My diets pretty good, my wife sees to that. Think my next step is exercise.

there are no 'tests' bogey - this is now not the old you - you no longer acknowledge alcohol, got it? hrs become days and continue to graduate - suddenly you've been off of it for a year then two then three then you never think about it - you see - here's the secret - it's no longer you - you own it - you own it.

Order Pellegrino or a rich dark coffee or even a diet cherry pepsi - I can do lemon water - often I order Pellegrino, or another unusual non alcoholic bev. Order crisp salads - eat good wholesome in your face healthy food - such as sautéed chicken w/ crushed red pepper -- roast baby broccoli - savor the air in the morning - get your exercise - get up feeling GOOD - do all of this for yourself FIRST and then your family - this is one thing you do for YOU 'first'

No bullshit / you quit

Ok

Boog out

Phobia
07-10-2013, 11:56 PM
It's good to be mature enough to recognize when it's becoming problematic. Time to take control of that aspect of my life before it gets out of control. I keep beer in my fridge and sometimes it will sit for weeks or months before I touch it but I'll drink a ton of busch light over 4 or 5 hours at softball games and even more at an all-day saturday tournament. It's not even incredibly enjoyable for me because I'm a beer snob. I can easily replace it with water or sports drinks. Not trying to take anything from bogey, just representing in case somebody else needs to feel like they're not alone with their struggles.

Rasputin
07-11-2013, 12:03 AM

I never thought I could go fishing with out drinking. Going fishing use to be code word for going to the lake or river to get fucked up drunk.

When I did catch a fish sober for the first time was one of the coolest things ever. I felt great and alive for the first time in a long time. It was great the fish put up a good fight but I rung him in for a good size fish. Tasted great after cooking him on the grill.

Can have fun being sober & can remember things for good memories that last with out the regret of being stupid from being drunk.

Simply Red
07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
What's bad about it is - it will sneak up on you - and it's really easy to be all like 'oh I got this shit' - then you find yourself having more and more days and nights of regret - I think at that point you know you have an issue, or you should know.

Guys I'm not saying this to be neat or rad or anything - really I don't care. I had some nights I should have died - about four to be precise - there were times I cried to quit and even looked up and cried out for help, aloud and drunken, while doing so. maniacal

It's not a joke - it'll **** your world if you let it - and I'm always here - I don't care which poster - I'll do my best to help you psychologically against this beast.

ok I'm done now - my sermon is over and I'm off to bed. I'm speaking from my heart tho. ;)

Phobia
07-11-2013, 12:09 AM
You're a good dude, SR.

Phobia
07-11-2013, 12:17 AM
I never thought I could go fishing with out drinking. Going fishing use to be code word for going to the lake or river to get ****ed up drunk.

When I did catch a fish sober for the first time was one of the coolest things ever. I felt great and alive for the first time in a long time. It was great the fish put up a good fight but I rung him in for a good size fish. Tasted great after cooking him on the grill.

Can have fun being sober & can remember things for good memories that last with out the regret of being stupid from being drunk.

The funny thing is that I'm the very same guy when sober or drinking at ball. Loud, obnoxious, talking shit with a smile... I'm probably just drinking heavily because everybody else was.

Simply Red
07-11-2013, 12:20 AM
The funny thing is that I'm the very same guy when sober or drinking at ball. Loud, obnoxious, talking shit with a smile... I'm probably just drinking heavily because everybody else was.

I could see you getting off track for a month or two, but you're not an alcoholic, I don't think. You would kick it out entirely, if it ever ambushed you, I'd bet. That's how you strike me, anyways. Which is solid.

Phobia
07-11-2013, 12:26 AM
I could see you getting off track for a month or two, but you're not an alcoholic, I don't think. You would kick it out entirely, if it ever ambushed you, I'd bet. That's how you strike me, anyways. Which is solid.

You're right. I'm not. But playing ball 3-4x a week combined with pounding swill as fast as I can choke it down certainly leads down that road. I have to be smarter.

Simply Red
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
You're right. I'm not. But playing ball 3-4x a week combined with pounding swill as fast as I can choke it down certainly leads down that road. I have to be smarter.

Plus it's just harder to drink at our age - let's face it, it just is. I don't mean to physically drink the beer, but rather the repercussions from the drinking 'recovery time'

Phobia
07-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Plus it's just harder to drink at our age - let's face it, it just is. I don't mean to physically drink the beer, but rather the repercussions from the drinking 'recovery time'

You know what is really strange and somewhat frightening? I pound water before I go to bed and I never get a hangover unless I've gone absolutely crazy drinking hard liquor. That has happened maybe once in the past decade. I play ball with a couple of guys who drink until 3:00 AM Friday, get up at 6:30 AM and start drinking again. I'm not that guy but I go beer for beer with them all day Saturday. If I don't nip it, I'll probably have to find a different team and I really don't want to do that.

Rasputin
07-11-2013, 12:44 AM

Be sure to be drinking plenty of water. Drinking alcohol is a dehydrant (sp) so you need to be extra careful playing ball in the heat. I don't care how bad ass a person is alcohol + hot day & extra exertion is not a good mix. Be sure to hydrate the body & take care of yourself. That goes for everybody & those that think they are immune to heat stroke are fooling themselves.

Simply Red
07-11-2013, 01:00 AM
I've seen heat strokes live - It's nothing nice - it was while playing tennis an ALTA season.

frankotank
07-11-2013, 08:54 AM
How are you cleansing?

my wifes good friends daughter...sheesh that sounds weird....is selling advocare products. she wanted to try it and talked me into it. I figure...what's the worst that could happen!

frankotank
07-11-2013, 08:59 AM

not sure the bolded means what I think it means...but....
my mother in law...God rest her soul....was an alcoholic. she could drink like two beers and just be wasted. I've been told that an alcoholic always has alcohol in their blood stream from previous drinking episodes. so when they grab a few cold ones, this combined with what is already in their system gets them wasted much easier than say a non-alcoholic person.

seems legit. not sure if true.

Ace Gunner
07-11-2013, 09:00 AM
You know what is really strange and somewhat frightening? I pound water before I go to bed and I never get a hangover unless I've gone absolutely crazy drinking hard liquor. That has happened maybe once in the past decade. I play ball with a couple of guys who drink until 3:00 AM Friday, get up at 6:30 AM and start drinking again. I'm not that guy but I go beer for beer with them all day Saturday. If I don't nip it, I'll probably have to find a different team and I really don't want to do that.

seems to me you will not be so thrilled playing with this team of swillers while you are sober. been there, did this, wound up running with a different crowd.

bogey
07-11-2013, 12:50 PM

I play on a company slow pitch. First sober game is tonight. Very curious about my sober game.

bogey
07-11-2013, 12:53 PM
there are no 'tests' bogey - this is now not the old you - you no longer acknowledge alcohol, got it? hrs become days and continue to graduate - suddenly you've been off of it for a year then two then three then you never think about it - you see - here's the secret - it's no longer you - you own it - you own it.

Order Pellegrino or a rich dark coffee or even a diet cherry pepsi - I can do lemon water - often I order Pellegrino, or another unusual non alcoholic bev. Order crisp salads - eat good wholesome in your face healthy food - such as sautéed chicken w/ crushed red pepper -- roast baby broccoli - savor the air in the morning - get your exercise - get up feeling GOOD - do all of this for yourself FIRST and then your family - this is one thing you do for YOU 'first'

No bullshit / you quit

Ok

Boog out

Man I'd like to party with you.

bogey
07-11-2013, 12:55 PM
It's good to be mature enough to recognize when it's becoming problematic. Time to take control of that aspect of my life before it gets out of control. I keep beer in my fridge and sometimes it will sit for weeks or months before I touch it but I'll drink a ton of busch light over 4 or 5 hours at softball games and even more at an all-day saturday tournament. It's not even incredibly enjoyable for me because I'm a beer snob. I can easily replace it with water or sports drinks. Not trying to take anything from bogey, just representing in case somebody else needs to feel like they're not alone with their struggles.

Speaking for myself, it is truly helpful to know that I'm not alone with my struggle. I appreciate it Phobia.

bogey
07-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I never thought I could go fishing with out drinking. Going fishing use to be code word for going to the lake or river to get ****ed up drunk.

Ah, memory loss. That's another thing I won't miss. Used to have conversations with people and the next day have the same conversation. They would say, "we talked about this yesterday" very embarrassing.

bogey
07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
What's bad about it is - it will sneak up on you - and it's really easy to be all like 'oh I got this shit' - then you find yourself having more and more days and nights of regret - I think at that point you know you have an issue, or you should know.

Guys I'm not saying this to be neat or rad or anything - really I don't care. I had some nights I should have died - about four to be precise - there were times I cried to quit and even looked up and cried out for help, aloud and drunken, while doing so. maniacal

It's not a joke - it'll **** your world if you let it - and I'm always here - I don't care which poster - I'll do my best to help you psychologically against this beast.

ok I'm done now - my sermon is over and I'm off to bed. I'm speaking from my heart tho. ;)

This thread has been more helpful to me than any of you can possibly imagine... seriously, Thank you!

vailpass
07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Good luck dude. Know what you mean. I'm in the middle of a bad one. Afraid I might die today. Don't know how to beat this. Have all the money in the world and it doesn't mean a thing.

bogey
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Good luck dude. Know what you mean. I'm in the middle of a bad one. Afraid I might die today. Don't know how to beat this. Have all the money in the world and it doesn't mean a thing.

What do you need vailpass?

vailpass
07-11-2013, 01:29 PM

It's too much to go into, should never have said that. Good luck to you.

bogey
07-11-2013, 01:30 PM

I sent you a message.

Phobia
07-11-2013, 04:35 PM
It's too much to go into, should never have said that. Good luck to you.

Hang in there, bud. Whatever it is. You're a good dude.

Rain Man
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Ah, memory loss. That's another thing I won't miss. Used to have conversations with people and the next day have the same conversation. They would say, "we talked about this yesterday" very embarrassing.

Repost.

DanBecky
07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
can't just have 1 or 2.

That's tough to do. Well, for me anyway.

bogey
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Repost.

:clap::clap: Now that's funny.

BigRedChief
07-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Played ball tonight. Didn't have a drop. Didn't give it a second thought. Play with a couple of guys who have been struggling with alcoholism in their lives on tomorrow's team so I think I'm going to be sober in support of them as well.Damn man, how many softball teams are you on?

TLO
07-11-2013, 05:47 PM
What? A subject you're not an expert in?

LMAO

Simply Red
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Vailpass are you still online?

Phobia
07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Damn man, how many softball teams are you on?

I play Sundays on a rec team. Play with my tournament team on Thursdays to get warmed up for Saturdays. Play at least 3 Saturdays a month but usually 4. I'll also fill in for friends who are short on Tuesdays and Wednesdays sometimes. I enjoy playing a lot. Gets me out of the house and I blow off steam. The wife likes me better when I'm out of the house taking out my frustrations on a little ball. Cheaper than golf and more exercise too. I essentially traded my expensive golf habit for softball. Used to golf 2-3x a week and now that's been reduced to 2-3x a year.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2013, 09:37 AM
So, how's it going Bogey? Let's make this a support thread. I had a few last night, but am off today. In the last couple of weeks my production at work has been fucking incredible. Working in a commission sales job I can say I've learned how important it is to be alert, alive, and ready for the mission at hand every day when I go in.

Not only have I saved money on the booze, I've made a ridiculous amount of money in the last couple of weeks. I'm not trying to brag, just saying that the difference between the way I conducted my business up to the last couple of weeks cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars. I've literally made in the last 2 weeks what I made in the last 2 months. I've never been happier with a decision in my life. Hope it continues...

beach tribe
07-14-2013, 10:37 AM

The WORST thing you can do is think you've won.
You haven't won shit Yet so don't go back patting yourself.
Your opponent is stronger and smarter than you think.
Be strong. Dont forget about the damage it does and will do.
For her, for yourself
Goodluck.

Consistent1
07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
So, how's it going Bogey? Let's make this a support thread. I had a few last night, but am off today. In the last couple of weeks my production at work has been ****ing incredible. Working in a commission sales job I can say I've learned how important it is to be alert, alive, and ready for the mission at hand every day when I go in.

Not only have I saved money on the booze, I've made a ridiculous amount of money in the last couple of weeks. I'm not trying to brag, just saying that the difference between the way I conducted my business up to the last couple of weeks cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars. I've literally made in the last 2 weeks what I made in the last 2 months. I've never been happier with a decision in my life. Hope it continues...

I liked Pacino in the movie version of Glengary.

AussieChiefsFan
07-14-2013, 11:14 AM
So, how's it going Bogey? Let's make this a support thread. I had a few last night, but am off today. In the last couple of weeks my production at work has been fucking incredible. Working in a commission sales job I can say I've learned how important it is to be alert, alive, and ready for the mission at hand every day when I go in.

Congrats man!

Rasputin
07-14-2013, 03:21 PM
For her, for yourself
Goodluck.

This.

I find myself needing balance in my life, never get too emotionally high and never get too emotionally down on myself. Both levels of high excitement or set backs can be very damaging. If I get too excited then the rug gets pulled out from under me and I fall flat on my face drunk. If I get down then I fall in the depression trap and fall flat on my face drunk or get suicidal. That is just the way it is for me. I want to be happy in life but enjoy it as it comes one day at a time.

Alcohol is the quickest way to set myself up for failure. I was a happy drunk or when I got drunk but the carnage it left me miserable and I have a long road of recovery one day at a time. It isn't easy & wont be easy. It shouldn't be easy it is what makes you a stronger, better person.

bogey
07-15-2013, 11:07 AM
So, how's it going Bogey? Let's make this a support thread. I had a few last night, but am off today. In the last couple of weeks my production at work has been ****ing incredible. Working in a commission sales job I can say I've learned how important it is to be alert, alive, and ready for the mission at hand every day when I go in.

I've always considered myself a functional alcoholic. I discovered this week-end that there are different levels of functional. Normally, by 10AM on Saturday, I was buzzed enough to find a nice easy chair for the rest of the week-end. I told myself (and my family) I had the right to do that because I work my ass off during the week. In reality, I did it because my energy level was so low (mentally and physically) that I couldn't get myself motivated to do anything. This week-end, I cleaned out my workshop (this was no easy task) but WOW was it satisfying!! I laid out plans to put up floating shelves in our kitchen (that will happen next week-end). I used to be very handy around the house, somewhere I lost interest in being handy. My handiness is coming back. Oh, and in the last 6 days, my wife and I have had sex twice :) Let the good time roll!

bogey
07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
For her, for yourself
Goodluck.

I appreciate it beach tribe. I'll keep my feet on the ground. So far, so good!

bogey
07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
This.

I find myself needing balance in my life, never get too emotionally high and never get too emotionally down on myself. Both levels of high excitement or set backs can be very damaging. If I get too excited then the rug gets pulled out from under me and I fall flat on my face drunk. If I get down then I fall in the depression trap and fall flat on my face drunk or get suicidal. That is just the way it is for me. I want to be happy in life but enjoy it as it comes one day at a time.

Alcohol is the quickest way to set myself up for failure. I was a happy drunk or when I got drunk but the carnage it left me miserable and I have a long road of recovery one day at a time. It isn't easy & wont be easy. It shouldn't be easy it is what makes you a stronger, better person.

I don't want to in any way lead anyone to believe that I am not fully aware of the challenge that is ahead of me. The most difficult battles I have ever fought are the battles against myself. I am a very "gray area" person and don't do very well with black and white, so I avoid black and white scenarios. I have been given a second chance at life with a black and white question. Which is more important to me, my marriage or alcohol? The question is that simple. I will NOT drink alcohol again.

bogey
07-15-2013, 11:19 AM
And again, I've gotten laid twice in 6 days!!

seclark
07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
And again, I've gotten laid twice in 6 days!!

yeah, yeah...we heard you the first time, ya bragger.
hang in there, bogey.
sec

bogey
07-15-2013, 05:48 PM
bumping this up in case any other fellows want to chime in.

Al Bundy
07-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Stay clean.. stay sober.

King_Chief_Fan
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
bumping this up in case any other fellows want to chime in.

Pulling for you

Saccopoo
07-15-2013, 06:20 PM
How are you cleansing?

I'm on a cleanse as well.

Went cold turkey on the alcohol, caffeine, meats, dairy, sugars and processed foods approximately four months ago.

Got really sick, nearly incapacitated myself and decided that it was time to do the whole body cleanse. Was drinking a lot and dumping a lot of energy drinks into the system the morning after in an attempt to do a quick recovery. Was starting to feel like shit all the time. Used to work out all the time and realized I hadn't been to the gym in nearly three years. Watched a bunch of food documentaries (Supersize Me, Food Inc., Forks Over Knives, etc.) when I was sick as hell laying on the couch and decided to do the whole enchilada right then and there.

Went from 225 to 175 in three and a half months.

And while cutting out the energy drinks and booze saved a lot of money, it's amazing how much you save at the grocery store when you don't have any meats, dairy and junk food in the basket.

Feel great and haven't had a single craving for anything other than rootbeer. God I love rootbeer.

It's nice to see how many people on this board were able to get off the booze. Horrible stuff, especially when you can't control the consumption of it.

MOhillbilly
07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
I've never had a want to be completely sober.

Phobia
07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I've been sucking at my little plan to reduce my consumption at softball. In fact, I've bought a 30 pack of beer the last two times I went to the park. Obviously, the easiest way not to binge drink is to not fork out the money for it. So my new plan is to simply not buy it and not bring more than a few bucks for a couple brews and gatorades. I know I'm not an alcoholic because I don't really feel any desire to drink heavily outside of the ballpark so I'm just addressing that aspect of my life... and doing it poorly so far.

KcMizzou
07-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I've never had a want to be completely sober.Neither have I. I always think, "except this or that" In the end, I find a reason to drink most any night. I take care of everything... get the important shit done. I show up and do well at my job. So, I'm "functional". The fact is, I just get BORED.

But recently I've been thinking about my age, and if this continues... odds are I'm gonna die pretty young. So, yeah.. I need to make a change.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Glad to hear things are well Bogey. Keep up the good fight!

houstonwhodat
07-15-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm on a cleanse as well.

Went cold turkey on the alcohol, caffeine, meats, dairy, sugars and processed foods approximately four months ago.

Got really sick, nearly incapacitated myself and decided that it was time to do the whole body cleanse. Was drinking a lot and dumping a lot of energy drinks into the system the morning after in an attempt to do a quick recovery. Was starting to feel like shit all the time. Used to work out all the time and realized I hadn't been to the gym in nearly three years. Watched a bunch of food documentaries (Supersize Me, Food Inc., Forks Over Knives, etc.) when I was sick as hell laying on the couch and decided to do the whole enchilada right then and there.

Went from 225 to 175 in three and a half months.

And while cutting out the energy drinks and booze saved a lot of money, it's amazing how much you save at the grocery store when you don't have any meats, dairy and junk food in the basket.

Feel great and haven't had a single craving for anything other than rootbeer. God I love rootbeer.

It's nice to see how many people on this board were able to get off the booze. Horrible stuff, especially when you can't control the consumption of it.

How can you not have meats or dairy?

No milk, no cheese, no hamburger no steak?

What do you eat for protein?

houstonwhodat
07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
For her, for yourself
Goodluck.

When you say you haven't had a drink "yet".

Yet means "you're eligible too"

You can always fall off that wagon.

Saccopoo
07-15-2013, 11:51 PM
How can you not have meats or dairy?

No milk, no cheese, no hamburger no steak?

What do you eat for protein?

It's called a vegan diet. A lot of people do it.

The human body requires approximately .36 grams of protein per pound that an individual weights; e.g., a 180 lbs. man would require approximately 73.8 grams of protein daily. One bagel has 10 grams of protein. 2 Tbl. of almonds is 7 grams. One cup of broccoli has 4 grams of protein. It adds up rather quickly.

Quinoa, mushrooms, legumes, nuts are all quite high in proteins. It's really pretty easy to go way over your required protein numbers even on a strict vegan diet.

The whole "you need to eat a shit ton of meat and drink milk" to survive is a little overblown. (Probably propagated by the cattle/dairy industry.) And dairy is really kind of disgusting. I mean, that shit is meant for a baby cow, not humans. And all mammals wean off of their mothers milk early in life. It's a very rich and nutrient dense food source meant to spur rapid growth in infants/adolescents. Once a body gets to a certain stage, that level of nutrients aren't required. However, we humans have decided to take baby cow juice and keep on sucking it down.

It's really no different than drinking milk from a lactating dog. Just animal milk, and a cow is pretty docile and weighs a lot/puts out a lot of milk, which is why we decided on cow milk versus dog milk.

I'd recommend watching the documentary "Forks Over Knives." Pretty interesting commentary on the consumption of dairy products in particular. My favorite comment in the movie came from the Health Director of the city of Chicago, who advocates a whole food, vegetarian diet: "If it's got eyes, arms, legs, a mom and a dad, don't eat it." (Mollusk such as clams, oysters, mussels and the like would be okay I guess as they don't have brains and reproduce by mass fertilization.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n1LUj3kxB9M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And remember:

http://img.wax.fm/releases/373240/smiths-meat-is-murder-272775.jpeg

bogey
07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I've never had a want to be completely sober.

Ha! Me neither, until now. But I'm an old fuck and it finally started catching up with me. You have many years of self inflicted abuse before you catch up with me. ;)

bogey
07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
I've been sucking at my little plan to reduce my consumption at softball. In fact, I've bought a 30 pack of beer the last two times I went to the park. Obviously, the easiest way not to binge drink is to not fork out the money for it. So my new plan is to simply not buy it and not bring more than a few bucks for a couple brews and gatorades. I know I'm not an alcoholic because I don't really feel any desire to drink heavily outside of the ballpark so I'm just addressing that aspect of my life... and doing it poorly so far.

To be honest, my softball skills are no better sober than they were drunk. I'm just good enough to not make a fool out of myself. I do love playing the game though.

bogey
07-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear things are well Bogey. Keep up the good fight!

Thanks.

bogey
07-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Neither have I. I always think, "except this or that" In the end, I find a reason to drink most any night. I take care of everything... get the important shit done. I show up and do well at my job. So, I'm "functional". The fact is, I just get BORED.

But recently I've been thinking about my age, and if this continues... odds are I'm gonna die pretty young. So, yeah.. I need to make a change.

It definitely had an effect on my body. Since I quit, my poops are getting solid again! Very satisfying.

bogey
07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
When you say you haven't had a drink "yet".

Yet means "you're eligible too"

You can always fall off that wagon.

Yea, I'm not using the word "yet" for exactly that reason. I'm probably delusional, but I choose to attack this as if I've got it figured out. For me, the battle isn't with alcohol, it's with me.

Fish
07-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Yea, I'm not using the word "yet" for exactly that reason. I'm probably delusional, but I choose to attack this as if I've got it figured out. For me, the battle isn't with alcohol, it's with me.

That makes a helluva lot of sense. I've come to acknowledge that my family has a hereditary issue with addiction. Be it alcohol or whatever, doesn't matter. My younger sister just within the last few days has admitted to her painkiller addiction. Which I've been pleading with her about for years. Turns out she's been popping 15-20 Oxy pills a day. And this is after doing almost 2 years behind bars in the past for it. Looking at detox options now.

Keep with it. I know how addiction can ruin lives. Even entire families. Sounds like you're already seeing the benefits of rising above it, and that's gotta be huge motivation.

bogey
07-16-2013, 12:08 PM
That makes a helluva lot of sense. I've come to acknowledge that my family has a hereditary issue with addiction. Be it alcohol or whatever, doesn't matter. My younger sister just within the last few days has admitted to her painkiller addiction. Which I've been pleading with her about for years. Turns out she's been popping 15-20 Oxy pills a day. And this is after doing almost 2 years behind bars in the past for it. Looking at detox options now.

Keep with it. I know how addiction can ruin lives. Even entire families. Sounds like you're already seeing the benefits of rising above it, and that's gotta be huge motivation.

I can relate to inherited addictions. I got mine from my Moms side of the family. As a kid, we used to have huge family reunions. Usually they were local, at a lake or camp ground, sometimes we would travel. I remember it was a drunken fest for the adults. My grandparents, my Great Uncles and Aunts, my immediate Uncle, my Mom, my older grown up cousins... it seemed like everyone was drunk. Now, my memories of these reunions are nothing but GREAT!! They were a blast, everyone let loose and partied till the sun came up and then we would go fishing and the drunken fun continued. IT WAS GREAT!!! Now that I'm the old Uncle (at time the obnoxious drunken Uncle), I see the pattern continuing with my brother, my cousins, my nieces and nephews and of course my Mom. I only hope my child didn't get the gene. I've let her know that she was born with an addictive personality and she needs to be aware of it. She sees it in her Nana (my Mom), Nana usually starts slurring around 3PM or 4PM. In a way, Nana's slurring may help my daughter get a handle on this MOTHER FUCKING ADDICTION! She's certainly helped make my daughter aware.

bogey
07-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Good luck to your little sis! Positive thoughts going out to her from one addict to another.

bogey
07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
To most everyone, this is just another thread. To me, it's a very helpful outlet. I have had many victories in my lifetime (many failures too). Quitting drinking is by far my greatest victory. I am saving my life (literally). I need to keep reminding myself of that.
A friend of mine joined AA several years ago. I reached out to him and told him I had quit drinking. He told me how proud he was of me and that he'd fallen off the wagon a year ago, but he quit drinking again on July 2nd. After I heard his story I said to myself, hey, I can fall off the wagon and climb back on also. I had to convince myself that I can't do that. Gotta stay on this wagon forever. Nobody knows about that little battle that I won. Now you know. That is all.

Phobia
07-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Keep on, bro. I've behaved myself all week. Had zero beverages Sunday, two postgame beverages Tuesday, and zero last night. Was planning to have 2 or 3 tonight but now our games have been cancelled. I wouldn't be doing this without this thread.

bogey
07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Keep on, bro. I've behaved myself all week. Had zero beverages Sunday, two postgame beverages Tuesday, and zero last night. Was planning to have 2 or 3 tonight but now our games have been cancelled. I wouldn't be doing this without this thread.

You keep on as well, sir. Find what works for you and stick with it. It feels good to feel good about myself. I don't feel comfortable bragging about myself at home. So I do it here. I'm glad this thread has had a positive effect on you. We've earned the right to brag a little. :clap:

JoeyChuckles
07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Keep it up!! Hopefully it gets just a little bit easier every day.

bogey
07-26-2013, 02:28 PM
In the beginning, the wife was thrilled that I quit smoking and drinking. Now, it's probably just another day. That's not the case for the one that quit. Not a day has gone by that I haven't talked myself out of having a drink. I shouldn't expect anyone to pat me on the back, it's no ones problem except mine. I know I'm supposed to be doing this for myself, not others. Were I not trying to save my marriage, I would go home tonight and fix myself a nice cold Martini, sit in my back yard light up a cigarette and I would be in heaven. 3 months, 2 weeks, 5 days without smoking. Day 18 without booze. I'm very happy.

bogey
07-26-2013, 02:29 PM
or am I? :)

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 02:47 PM
or am I? :)

I think you're happy. What's not to be happy about? We live in a world with Dr. Pepper and kittens and 24 hours a day of Big Bang Theory reruns. We live in a world where pornography is easily available and you can buy a double cheeseburger for a dollar. I mean, what's not to like?

bogey
07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
I think you're happy. What's not to be happy about? We live in a world with Dr. Pepper and kittens and 24 hours a day of Big Bang Theory reruns. We live in a world where pornography is easily available and you can buy a double cheeseburger for a dollar. I mean, what's not to like?

When you put it that way, how can I not be happy. Thanks Rain Man.

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
When you put it that way, how can I not be happy. Thanks Rain Man.

Here. Have a cheeseburger and enjoy this kitten picture.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/McDonalds/item/mcdonalds-Cheeseburger.png

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpXcJ2yV0Dw68CWa22KsfYATa1AoMLu5ekoJrsSdRk5FJKU4W6

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
I should clarify that the kitten is not about to be crushed by a giant falling cheeseburger. Everything is good.

Donger
07-26-2013, 03:08 PM
you can buy a double cheeseburger for a dollar.

Where have you been hiding this important information?

bogey
07-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I should clarify that the kitten is not about to be crushed by a giant falling cheeseburger. Everything is good.

So, no kittens were hurt during the making of that post?

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Where have you been hiding this important information?

I thought you knew.

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 03:17 PM
So, no kittens were hurt during the making of that post?

No. We're very careful about that. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a happy thread.

Donger
07-26-2013, 03:18 PM
I thought you knew.

Well, considering you posted a single patty cheeseburger above, I'm going to presume that you are full of poo.

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Well, considering you posted a single patty cheeseburger above, I'm going to presume that you are full of poo.

That's just a conceptual cheeseburger. You have to imagine the other patty.

Donger
07-26-2013, 03:27 PM
That's just a conceptual cheeseburger. You have to imagine the other patty.

Imagination isn't my strong suit. Perhaps reviewing some readily-available porn will get the juices flowing.

bogey
07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Imagination isn't my strong suit. Perhaps reviewing some readily-available porn will get the juices flowing.

I know that usually works for me.

Rain Man
07-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Gosh, it's hard to find cheeseburger porn, but I think this might be an orgy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2CtiFfeB4-zRgaUyqacQSDDogXNwBHKsC1yR-nmamtP8PlwVHHg

And incidentally, if you google "cheeseburger porn", the first picture that shows up on my computer (woman on a kitchen counter) really does meet both criteria.

lcarus
07-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Gosh, it's hard to find cheeseburger porn, but I think this might be an orgy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2CtiFfeB4-zRgaUyqacQSDDogXNwBHKsC1yR-nmamtP8PlwVHHg

And incidentally, if you google "cheeseburger porn", the first picture that shows up on my computer (woman on a kitchen counter) really does meet both criteria.

My GOD look at how tightly those buns are clamped around that beef. Juices dripping and everything. :drool:

Buehler445
07-26-2013, 03:38 PM
In the beginning, the wife was thrilled that I quit smoking and drinking. Now, it's probably just another day. That's not the case for the one that quit. Not a day has gone by that I haven't talked myself out of having a drink. I shouldn't expect anyone to pat me on the back, it's no ones problem except mine. I know I'm supposed to be doing this for myself, not others. Were I not trying to save my marriage, I would go home tonight and fix myself a nice cold Martini, sit in my back yard light up a cigarette and I would be in heaven. 3 months, 2 weeks, 5 days without smoking. Day 18 without booze. I'm very happy.

Keep up the good fight sir. It will be worth it.

What are you doing with the extra money from not buying booze/tobacco? Maybe you can buy yourself something as a reward to keep yourself going.

bogey
07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Keep up the good fight sir. It will be worth it.

What are you doing with the extra money from not buying booze/tobacco? Maybe you can buy yourself something as a reward to keep yourself going.

As a matter of fact. Last week-end I bought myself a new air compressor and this week-end I'm getting a new palm sander. Tonight, I'm going to buy myself a double cheeseburger.

vailpass
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
As a matter of fact. Last week-end I bought myself a new air compressor and this week-end I'm getting a new palm sander. Tonight, I'm going to buy myself a double cheeseburger.

Treat yourself! Good to see you doing well.

bogey
07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Treat yourself! Good to see you doing well.

Thank you sir!!

bogey
08-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Hello friends. In case you're keeping track with me...

137 days no smoking
46 days no drinking

Sure feels like it's been longer than that.

Dayze
08-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Nice. keep it up

Chief_For_Life58
08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
everyday struggle dawg

kepp
08-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Nice :thumb:

bogey
08-23-2013, 02:11 PM
everyday struggle dawg