PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Worst to First?

Mr. Arrowhead
07-12-2013, 04:04 PM
And the ESPN/NFL Network love fest for the chiefs continue. On NFL Live they said the chiefs were the most likely team to go worst to first in our division, and yes they all realized Peyton Manning is still the qb for the Broncos.

lead_block
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
LMAO

CrazyPhuD
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Worst to 1st pick?

loochy
07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/koolaidman1.jpg

cosmo20002
07-12-2013, 04:08 PM
And the ESPN/NFL Network love fest for the chiefs continue. On NFL Live they said the chiefs were the most likely team to go worst to first in our division, and yes they all realized Peyton Manning is still the qb for the Broncos.

Well, if any team is going to go worst to first in our division it will definitely most likely be the Chiefs since no other team qualifies to do it.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Having to take super sloppy 4ths after the Raiders finish. Is enough motivation for any one.

07-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, unless the Broncos are going 7-9 there is no chance of that worst to first.

Ming the Merciless
07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
worst to 1st team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

Hound333
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I'll get excited once we produce on the field. It seems like every 2-3 years we are picked as the breakout team and even in the years when we do win some games we get our asses handed to us in the playoffs. I want to quit talking about it and finally do something.

WakkaWakka
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18lroax6o867tgif/ku-xlarge.gif

lewdog
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Someone forgot to say "in opposite land."

Ming the Merciless
07-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Someone forgot to say "in opposite land."

no its not , its really gonna happen...and NOT in opposite land

In regular land, just on Opposite day though.....

DaFace
07-12-2013, 05:16 PM
It's possible. Just depends on how awful you think RAC was and how good you think Andy Reid is.

That said, Peyton's gonna have to be injured for us to compete in the division unless some sort of miracle happens.

Rasputin
07-12-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm still waiting for Dustin Colquitt to have a break out season with guys muffing his left booted punts. Sure he can put the nail in the coffin but I want to see guys struggle catching his punts because he kicks left footed.

Beef Supreme
07-12-2013, 05:27 PM
They're really going out on a limb ... predicting that the ONLY worst team in our division is the pick for the most likely to go from worst to first.

RippedmyFlesh
07-12-2013, 05:47 PM

I am assuming you meant to say most likely of all last place teams to win the division.
No biggie I knew what you meant and would not have mentioned it but then followed by this.

They're really going out on a limb ... predicting that the ONLY worst team in our division is the pick for the most likely to go from worst to first.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
It is very possible. I'm not sure what's so funny about the notion. 5-6 new playoff teams pretty much every year for the last 2 decades.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-12-2013, 08:27 PM
It is very possible. I'm not sure what's so funny about the notion. 5-6 new playoff teams pretty much every year for the last 2 decades.
Shhh keep that positive shit off this board

CoMoChief
07-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Manning's a machine.

unless he just completely loses a step in his game we're chasing a WC spot at this point. I don't think we'll beat Denver at all this season....not w/ Alex Smith. Maybe if Tom Brady or Drew Brees was our QB. In order to beat an elite QB like that you need one of your own.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Manning's a machine.

unless he just completely loses a step in his game we're chasing a WC spot at this point. I don't think we'll beat Denver at all this season....not w/ Alex Smith. Maybe if Tom Brady or Drew Brees was our QB. In order to beat an elite QB like that you need one of your own.

Rumors are he might not even make it to preseason. He's old as dirt with a broken neck. The end is near.

notorious
07-12-2013, 08:41 PM
That Gif......

:facepalm:

T-post Tom
07-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Rumors are he might not even make it to preseason. He's old as dirt with a broken neck. The end is near.

It's a mathematical certainty that Manning will be run over by an inebriated donko FO staffer before the regular season begins.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
It's a mathematical certainty that Manning will be run over by an inebriated donko FO staffer before the regular season begins.

Stampeded by a drunken Horseface?

Chiefshrink
07-12-2013, 08:56 PM

They have to create some kinda drama for their show since there is not much to talk about i.e. AFC West.

notorious
07-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Worst to First Round Playoff Exit.

Easy 6
07-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Worst to First Round Playoff Exit.

Run face first into a Sharknado

notorious
07-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Run face first into a Sharknado

Only if I have a chainsaw.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Only if I have a chainsaw.

They will only make more abortions because of the hype on this POS.

notorious
07-12-2013, 09:14 PM
They will only make more abortions because of the hype on this POS.

It's mind-bottling. Twitter, ESPN run, etc. will result in more turds being pushed out of the sphincter known as SyFy.

Saccopoo
07-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Manning's a machine.

Manning's arm was a noodle by the end of the season and they had the best/most winnable schedule in the NFL last year.

And I'd like to know who, other than Von Miller, is going to show up on their defense.

Denver doesn't have a very sexy roster and the only reason people think that they are going to amount to jack squat is the Peyton Manning they remember three/four years ago prior to the neck injuries/surgeries. He ain't that guy anymore.

Dave Lane
07-13-2013, 09:41 AM
He only has to be 10% of that guy to be 100 times better than the quarterback we have

MagicHef
07-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Manning's arm was a noodle by the end of the season and they had the best/most winnable schedule in the NFL last year.

And I'd like to know who, other than Von Miller, is going to show up on their defense.

Denver doesn't have a very sexy roster and the only reason people think that they are going to amount to jack squat is the Peyton Manning they remember three/four years ago prior to the neck injuries/surgeries. He ain't that guy anymore.

So who will win the division?

kchero
07-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Don't know if Q or not, but does anyone see that guy jump up in and out on the right side of this gif? LMAO

Saccopoo
07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
So who will win the division?

Chiefs.

And I'm not trying to homer it.

If Reid and Smith mesh, and are able to get some ball control offense going, this team has the potential to easily win the AFC West. Smith is a perfect fit for Reid's Lavell Edwards west coast system and it looks like Reid is showing flexibility in modernizing his system by bringing in Ault and Childress to tweak it up with new wrinkles based on the success of the pistol/spread.

The defense was left as a base 34 to take advantage of the personnel on the roster and it's already been noted that they will attack a lot more and man up versus playing a shitty read and react. That will give guys like Hali, Houston, Johnson, Flowers and Berry the opportunity to take advantage of their extensive skill sets/physical/athletic capabilities, in addition to guys like Poe and Bailey who should also blossom in this type of defense.

Potentially the best linebacking corps in the entire league, a top ten (possibly top five) secondary, the second best running back in the league, potentially the best possession receiver in the league, a very solid tight end group and an offensive line that has the potential to be top five/three.

Special teams should be very good with a lot of speed in Wylie, Davis, et al.

The coaching staff might be the best in totality in the entire league as well.

I personally think that last year was an aberration that was a result of Pioli's despotic reign of terror and Crennel/Daboll's massive incompetence.

If these guys/coaches mesh, this is a team with the talent to go supernova.

Saccopoo
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Don't know if Q or not, but does anyone see that guy jump up in and out on the right side of this gif? LMAO

There is actually two guys jumping.

The chick in the middle standing on the chair going full bonkers chicken head is the best.

MagicHef
07-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Chiefs.

If Reid and Smith mesh, and are able to get some ball control offense going, this team has the potential to easily win the AFC West. Smith is a perfect fit for Reid's Lavell Edwards west coast system and it looks like Reid is showing flexibility in modernizing his system by bringing in Ault and Childress to tweak it up with new wrinkles based on the success of the pistol/spread.

The defense was left as a base 34 to take advantage of the personnel on the roster and it's already been noted that they will attack a lot more and man up versus playing a shitty read and react. That will give guys like Hali, Houston, Johnson, Flowers and Berry the opportunity to take advantage of their extensive skill sets/physical/athletic capabilities, in addition to guys like Poe and Bailey who should also blossom in this type of defense.

Potentially the best linebacking corps in the entire league, a top ten (possibly top five) secondary, the second best running back in the league, potentially the best possession receiver in the league, a very solid tight end group and an offensive line that has the potential to be top five/three.

I personally think that last year was an aberration that was a result of Pioli's despotic reign of terror and Crennel/Daboll's massive incompetence.

LMAO

You may not be trying, but you're doing a great job.

Mav
07-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Chiefs.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/51963a396bb3f77b52000004-1200/grump-cat-reddit-ad-sales-deck.jpg

While I agree with the majority of your post, the chiefs lbs have zero chance to be willis bowman, Smith, and Brooks......ZERO....

Mav
07-13-2013, 10:31 AM
LMAO

You may not be trying, but you're doing a great job.

I cant wait to see the Broncos fail, and fail hard. Your defense is horrible.

MagicHef
07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
I cant wait to see the Broncos fail, and fail hard. Your defense is horrible.

You're talking about the defense that finished #2 last season? The defense that was better than the 49ers against the run and the pass?

That defense?

Rausch
07-13-2013, 10:50 AM
NFL wants Denver/Manning Vs. KC.

No one really gives a $3it about the Fade or Chargers...

Mav
07-13-2013, 10:52 AM
You're talking about the defense that finished #2 last season? The defense that was better than the 49ers against the run and the pass?

That defense?

Yup. That defense. The one that added Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, who is an average cb at best, horrible tackler, and the same defense that lost elvis dummerville. This has nothing to do with the 49ers period. But, then again, your schedule last year was just so tough. Must of been really hard to play against the chiefs, chargers and raiders all twice.

the 49ers would of destroyed the donkeys last year, and that was with EITHER QB.

Rausch
07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

That defense?

That defense that played with a lead for how many quarters?

And how many pts did that defense puke vs winning teams?

It reminds me of the GROB/Elway years...

MagicHef
07-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Yup. That defense. The one that added Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, who is an average cb at best, horrible tackler, and the same defense that lost elvis dummerville. This has nothing to do with the 49ers period. But, then again, your schedule last year was just so tough. Must of been really hard to play against the chiefs, chargers and raiders all twice.

the 49ers would of destroyed the donkeys last year, and that was with EITHER QB.

Oh wow, gaining a CB who probably won't start, and losing a guy who was regarded as terrible on this board until he left Denver? That sure will take a defense from #2 to horrible.

At least we beat all the terrible teams in our division. You guys couldn't beat a 7 win team, even though you had 2 games against them.

Saccopoo
07-13-2013, 11:03 AM
While I agree with the majority of your post, the chiefs lbs have zero chance to be willis bowman, Smith, and Brooks......ZERO....

Johnson, Houston and Hali were all in the Pro Bowl in 2012.

Consider that Houston and Hali combined for 19 sacks in 2012 when their pass rush opportunities were severely limited due to the Chiefs being behind for the vast majority of the season. If the Chiefs offense can generate any type of ball control in 2013 and keep our pass rushers fresh, I think that they can easily equal the 26.5 sacks put up by Smith and Brooks.

And Johnson had more solo tackles than either Bowman or Willis in 2012. (110 versus 96 and 88 respectively.) If Nico Johnson is able to pick up the defense quickly and put his size and athleticism to work, they could easily have a linebacking corps that is very close to what the 49er's put on the field.

Mav
07-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Oh wow, gaining a CB who probably won't start, and losing a guy who was regarded as terrible on this board until he left Denver? That sure will take a defense from #2 to horrible.

At least we beat all the terrible teams in our division. You guys couldn't beat a 7 win team, even though you had 2 games against them.

The rams were terrible? Or young? The rams also played everyone tough, because that is what a jeff fisher team does. Im all about watching shit play out. This is why I hate Broncos fans, and the Broncos, you are the most arrogant pieces of shit on the planet.

Lonewolf Ed
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM

I love the old guy in the center there with his arms folded, looking like he is about to let loose a hearty harrrrrumph while everyone else is clapping and cheering!

Mav
07-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Johnson, Houston and Hali were all in the Pro Bowl in 2012.

Consider that Houston and Hali combined for 19 sacks in 2012 when their pass rush opportunities were severely limited due to the Chiefs being behind for the vast majority of the season. If the Chiefs offense can generate any type of ball control in 2013 and keep our pass rushers fresh, I think that they can easily equal the 26.5 sacks put up by Smith and Brooks.

And Johnson had more solo tackles than either Bowman or Willis in 2012. (110 versus 96 and 88 respectively.) If Nico Johnson is able to pick up the defense quickly and put his size and athleticism to work, they could easily have a linebacking corps that is very close to what the 49er's put on the field.

I respect the takes. I think the Chiefs have a chance to have a very good lb corps. I personally, wouldn't take Houston or hali over Smith as a pass rusher, and I definitely wouldn't take Johnson, over EITHER willis or bowman, and there is some homerism there of course. But, Bowman, and Willis, are just on another planet as Middle Linebackers.........

Rausch
07-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I respect the takes. I think the Chiefs have a chance to have a very good lb corps. I personally, wouldn't take Houston or hali over Smith as a pass rusher, and I definitely wouldn't take Johnson, over EITHER willis or bowman, and there is some homerism there of course. But, Bowman, and Willis, are just on another planet as Middle Linebackers.........

Name any 3-4 defense that has more than 3 pro bowlers at LB.

I'll wait...

RunKC
07-13-2013, 11:17 AM
We're not gonna be better than the Broncos, though I think we can split with them.

The Broncos offense will be the best in the league next year. They have the best WR core in the league and it's really not that close. Our defense has some great pieces, BUT we still don't have the DL to get enough consistent pressure on Manning.
And my God Dunta Robinson vs Wes Welker is the biggest mismatch ever. Welker will OWN Robinson. I hope we just put Berry on him bc he's probably our best shot at covering him.

Manning is still gonna be a top 10 QB, probably still top 5. Until I see him decline, he's still there. Last year proved he was still elite.

But the Broncos defense isn't scary at all. Outside of Von Miller, they don't have any standout players IMO. Champ is old, Phillips fed off very good DE's last year who took up blocks for him, and who else do they have that should scare us?

Charles will get his yards, our bookend OT's are going to make it difficult for Von to get sacks off the edge and I LOVE our TE matchups against their LB's. Absolutely love it.

Broncos will win around 12 or 13 again and we'll win 8 or 9 IMO.

We still need to build our team up more.

RunKC
07-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Aldon Smith is nothing without Justin Smith. He got his ass raped and exposed when Justin Smith got hurt last year.

RunKC
07-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Honestly there are so many questions on our team for me to expect them to automatically be a playoff team this year.

Questions at DL, #2 WR, CB (I like Smith and hope he works out in our scheme) and interior OL (specifically LG and C) are all unknowns.

I think we'll be better equiped in 2014 once we have another draft and FA to build the team more.
Remember, Pioli did such a horrible job with this team that our new regime had to use FA to fill a bunch of his fuck up's.

Sandy Vagina
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Aldon Smith is nothing without Justin Smith. He got his ass raped and exposed when Justin Smith got hurt last year.

Not true. Aldon played for 2 months with a serious injury (torn labrum) during the same time when Justin was hurt.

Rausch
07-13-2013, 11:33 AM

I'll wait...

MagicHef
07-13-2013, 11:36 AM
The rams were terrible? Or young? The rams also played everyone tough, because that is what a jeff fisher team does. Im all about watching shit play out. This is why I hate Broncos fans, and the Broncos, you are the most arrogant pieces of shit on the planet.

They had the same number of wins as the Chargers, who we swept.

Discuss Thrower
07-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Honestly there are so many questions on our team for me to expect them to automatically be a playoff team this year.

Questions at DL, #2 WR, CB (I like Smith and hope he works out in our scheme) and interior OL (specifically LG and C) are all unknowns.

I think we'll be better equiped in 2014 once we have another draft and FA to build the team more.
Remember, Pioli did such a horrible job with this team that our new regime had to use FA to fill a bunch of his **** up's.

DL is an issue until Poe/Powe/DeVito prove otherwise, yes.

#2 WR can be negated with great TE play and average to good slot receiver usage, but still a question.

I think the offensive line will be fine outside of center.

Rausch
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM

The answers are all from the top down.

The idea that a SB coach only does one thing great is a joke.

Winners know the X's and 0's. They know talent. They motivate their team.

All three. Not 1 or 2 of the 3 necessary...

Bambi
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM

bwahahaha! Is this real?

Rausch
07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
bwahahaha! Is this real?

When has it not been?...

CoMoChief
07-13-2013, 11:55 AM
If Alex Smith continues to improve from where he left off at SF, and maybe adds a little bit of distance in his passing game, then we can most certainly challenge Denver for the division title or perhaps a WC spot.

But honestly I don't expect that. I expect for us to be much better offensively because Smith will have all the tools in the world to play/benefit with and the only way is to go up considering how ****ing terrible we were esp in the passing game. But he's never been a stud QB that makes others better. He's a game managing QB who doesn't take chances downfield. But he will have a good solid Oline, superstar runningback, a pro-bowl caliber WR in Bowe, plus a couple other former first round WR picks that have talent, but haven't reached full potential, and a rookie TE that seems like he can make a little noise this season. Not sure if Moeaki even makes the team. If he's fully healthy and does, great! - We'll have a double TE set that can create matchup problems and is also something AS exceeds at.

With the new coaches, I think this season will be an adjustment period as everyone gets a feel for eachother, it will just look a lot better because Reid's a much better coach and brings a lot more to the table than Haley or Crennel. But this season? Anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 and at best we sneak into a WC spot. It's next season 2014 is when I think we can knock Denver off for division champ, get a 1-2 seed in the playoffs w/ HF advantage and will make a deep run, hopefully a SB. Also next season we draft a QB in the first rd and don't pay AS until the season's end, if he's worth being resigned.

Sandy Vagina
07-13-2013, 11:57 AM
If Alex Smith continues to improve from where he left off at SF, and maybe adds a little bit of distance in his passing game, then we can most certainly challenge Denver for the division title or perhaps a WC spot.

But honestly I don't expect that. I expect for us to be much better offensively because Smith will have all the tools in the world to play/benefit with and the only way is to go up considering how ****ing terrible we were esp in the passing game. But he's never been a stud QB that makes others better. He's a game managing QB who doesn't take chances downfield. But he will have a good solid Oline, superstar runningback, a pro-bowl caliber WR in Bowe, plus a couple other former first round WR picks that have talent, but haven't reached full potential, and a rookie TE that seems like he can make a little noise this season. Not sure if Moeaki even makes the team. If he's fully healthy and does, great! - We'll have a double TE set that can create matchup problems and is also something AS exceeds at.

With the new coaches, I think this season will be an adjustment period as everyone gets a feel for eachother, it will just look a lot better because Reid's a much better coach and brings a lot more to the table than Haley or Crennel. But this season? Anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 and at best we sneak into a WC spot. It's next season 2014 is when I think we can knock Denver off for division champ, get a 1-2 seed in the playoffs w/ HF advantage and will make a deep run, hopefully a SB. Also next season we draft a QB in the first rd and don't pay AS until the season's end, if he's worth being resigned.

Good post. I believe Alex is a little better than you think, but still, at least you are not crying or jumping off a cliff already.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Applaud this man. I said it before the Ravens game. They had a losing record against quality opponents. Hilarious how that soft bitch team and QB were going to waltz over the battle tested Ravens...still funny LMAOLMAO

BlackHelicopters
07-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Peter King approves this thread.

Mav
07-13-2013, 02:02 PM

I'll wait...

the 49ers had 3....

the chiefs had three. considering that your other middle linebacker isn't known, and ahmad brooks is damn good. 49ers lbs > chiefs.

Mav
07-13-2013, 02:03 PM

that's a fallacy. Aldon Smith, himself was hurt. His shoulder was so messed up. He had surgery on it. Of course having J smith hurt doesn't help, but our front 7 was pretty darn banged up at the end of the season.

BlackHelicopters
07-13-2013, 02:07 PM
PM finally gets arrested in public park. Chiefs win the division.

Imon Yourside
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM

That defense?

You played the Cassel lead Chiefs twice and one of the easiest schedules in football. Welcome to next year.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2013, 02:21 PM
You played the Cassel lead Chiefs twice and one of the easiest schedules in football. Welcome to next year.

:LOL:

Geez, we'll, you can tell the season is getting closer.

O.city
07-13-2013, 02:38 PM
It depends how the year goes early. If we play ok early and can stay in the hunt, IIRC, we have the Broncos late both times.

If Arrowhead could be what it was, for that home game in December, we could beat them at home.

Discuss Thrower
07-13-2013, 03:11 PM
It depends how the year goes early. If we play ok early and can stay in the hunt, IIRC, we have the Broncos late both times.

If Arrowhead could be what it was, for that home game in December, we could beat them at home.

KC's most likely playoff scenario hinges on winning at least 10 games and hoping that no Wild Cards come out of the North and East divisions. There are scenarios where KC can go 9-7 while getting swept by Denver but that requires a lot of losing from good teams.

Arrowhead's magic is gone to the point I don't think they can beat a PM lead Donk team so thr wins have to come from elsewhere..

BlackHelicopters
07-13-2013, 03:33 PM
KC's most likely playoff scenario hinges on winning at least 10 games and hoping that no Wild Cards come out of the North and East divisions. There are scenarios where KC can go 9-7 while getting swept by Denver but that requires a lot of losing from good teams.

Arrowhead's magic is gone to the point I don't think they can beat a PM lead Donk team so thr wins have to come from elsewhere..

PM can't beat us from prison. We sweep the Donks.

TEX
07-13-2013, 04:47 PM

The Cheating Donx STILL have one of the easiest schedules in football...

O.city
07-13-2013, 07:13 PM

I think the north will be down this year, I actually think the Bengals will win that division. I don't think the Steelers got any better and I'm just not sure about the Ravens.

The South is somewhat the same story. The Titans and jags are potential top 5 picking teams.

So it just depends. I think 10 wins is the number though.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Losing record against quality opponents. No one fears Denver but scrubs.

MagicHef
07-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Losing record against quality opponents. No one fears Houston, Green Bay or Baltimore but scrubs.

FYP

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2013, 09:39 PM
KC's most likely playoff scenario hinges on <del>winning at least 10 games and hoping that no Wild Cards come out of the North and East divisions</del> Peyton Manning somehow missing most of the season. There are scenarios where KC can go 9-7 while getting swept by Denver but that requires a lot of losing from good teams.

Quesadilla Joe
07-13-2013, 10:05 PM
I think Denver could win the division with Brock starting every game.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
LMAO

RunKC
07-13-2013, 10:33 PM

homer alert! Sound the sirens!

O.city
07-13-2013, 10:34 PM
I had to unblock Knowmo, I was just missing out on too much.

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2013, 10:36 PM
I had to unblock Knowmo, I was just missing out on too much.

I think it's funny that most of the people that allow him to get under their skin are actually just like him.

Ridiculous homers.

RunKC
07-13-2013, 10:36 PM
FYP

HOU
ATL
NE
BAL

Those were the only great teams you played last year and you lost to 3 of them and beat up on the other who was decimated with injuries.

Bravo.

Quesadilla Joe
07-13-2013, 10:41 PM
I know some of you believe that the Broncos are nothing more than the "Denver Manning's", but do I have to remind you that we won the division with Tim Tebow?

Brock wouldn't even have to light it up for us to win the AFCW, average QB play would be more than enough.

O.city
07-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Well, to be fair, we did win it with Matt Cassel. So?

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2013, 10:44 PM
I know some of you believe that the Broncos are nothing more than the "Denver Manning's", but do I have to remind you that we won the division with Tim Tebow?

Brock wouldn't even have to light it up for us to win the AFCW, average QB play would be more than enough.

FWIW, I don't think for a second you guys are nothing more than the "Denver Mannings".

However, Tebow - for as bad a passer as he was, literally willed that team to wins in a piss-poor division.

To think Osweiler would do the same is pretty comical.

Saccopoo
07-13-2013, 10:46 PM
DL is an issue until Poe/Powe/DeVito prove otherwise, yes.

#2 WR can be negated with great TE play and average to good slot receiver usage, but still a question.

I think the offensive line will be fine outside of center.

Hudson is going to be a stud. Book that shit.

Once these guys gel, this is going to be an absolutely dominating offensive line.

Sorter
07-13-2013, 10:47 PM
FWIW, I don't think for a second you guys are nothing more than the "Denver Mannings".

However, Tebow - for as bad a passer as he was, literally willed that team to wins in a piss-poor division.

To think Osweiler would do the same is pretty comical.

While I agree the assumption is laughable, I have no idea how the 6 7 version of rivers has been progressing.

Quesadilla Joe
07-13-2013, 10:57 PM
We have more than enough talent to win this division with Brock. Alex Smith, Rivers and Matt Flynn don't scare me and Brock has looked great so far this year.

Brock Osweiler looks much improved for Broncos. I think he would have been top pick this year if he stayed in school. https://mobile.twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/336585585261150208?p=v

Ebolapox
07-13-2013, 11:02 PM
We have more than enough talent to win this division with Brock. Alex Smith, Rivers and Matt Flynn don't scare me and Brock has looked great so far this year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/336585585261150208?p=v

are you high like 24/7? seriously, do you just toke up and stay baked all day long? that's the only explanation.

Saccopoo
07-13-2013, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE]If Alex Smith continues to improve from where he left off at SF, and maybe adds a little bit of distance in his passing game, then we can most certainly challenge Denver for the division title or perhaps a WC spot.

But honestly I don't expect that.

As I recently noted in another thread, Alex Smith was #3 in the league (tied with Peyton Manning and Cam Newton) in yards per completion in 2012 at 8.0 ypc.

The #1 guy was at 8.3 ypc.

That's about as good as it gets in terms of a QB's functional distance on his passes.

I don't know what people want above and beyond that. The guy was throwing at an elite level ypc in 2011 and yet, somehow, he isn't throwing for enough distance? Especially after suffering through the Cassel/Daboll tragedy which saw the Chiefs with the absolute worst ypc average in the entire league.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Sac they have already made up their minds.

Saccopoo
07-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Sac they have already made up their minds.

Oh, I know that they have because I'd love to see someone argue that Smith doesn't throw for yards when he was #3 in the NFL last season.

People around here keep squealing for a QB like Stafford because they are told he's got this cannon arm that stretches the field and a guy like Alex Smith is a dink and dunk game manager.

However, when you look at the functional statistic of yards per completion, it's Smith that's actually putting up the elite level numbers versus Stafford, who was near the bottom of the pile in terms of YPC even though he threw for nearly 5,000 yards in 2012.

It's all about having the functional stats. Smith has them. Yards per completion. Completion accuracy percentage. TD's to Ints. While he's not bombing for 450 yards per game, he's making the very most of nearly every single pass he makes. When you combine that with a strong running game (which we have in Charles, who should be even better in 2013 with a QB that can maintain accuracy and a high completion percentage as it will keep the safeties and linebackers from sagging into the box like they did all year with Cassel and Quinn under center), and an offensive line that can control the line of scrimmage.

Charles, Bowe and Smith playing behind a very solid offensive line with Reid calling the plays should be a very dangerous combination to opposing defenses.

Easy 6
07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Charles, Bowe and Smith playing behind a very solid offensive line with Reid calling the plays should be a very dangerous combination to opposing defenses.

Nice overall post, but this last part is what i'm banking on.

BlackHelicopters
07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Tyler Bray

MagicHef
07-14-2013, 01:46 PM
That's a lot of typing. I wonder how much more it will take you before you realize the numbers you're referencing are yards per attempt, not yards per completion. Stafford actually has a higher YPC than Smith.

BossChief
07-14-2013, 01:55 PM
His YPA paired with the extremely small number of deep passes shows how effective Alex Smith can be on the intermediate throws.

Those are the throws that will be going to Bowe, Kelce, Avery, Moeaki, Mccluster, Fasano and Baldwin.

Charles should be nearly unstoppable this year.

I like that set of receiving options a lot.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2013, 02:32 PM
The instinct is to treat the Chiefs’ awful 2012 season as an aberration, and that’s probably the right call.

Even just a cursory glance at the club’s depth chart suggests that last season’s 2-14 mark won’t be repeated this year. After all, Kansas City had six Pro Bowlers in 2012, and the roster was strengthened this spring via free agency and the draft.

For new Chiefs coach Andy Reid, Kansas City represents a fresh start after two sour seasons to finish a Philadelphia tenure filled with more good moments than bad. The Chiefs’ new starting quarterback, Alex Smith, also gets to the turn the page after being forced out by Colin Kaepernick’s emergence in San Francisco.

There’s little doubt Reid and Smith will help lead a turnaround of some sort relative to 2012. If nothing else, the Chiefs are likely to move out of the AFC West basement. But are the Chiefs capable of quintupling their win total from a season ago? That’s probably what it will take to contend for a playoff spot.

Strengths.

The Chiefs’ defense does not lack for talent. Outside linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston combined for 19 sacks in 2012 and joined inside linebacker Derrick Johnson and strong safety Eric Berry as Pro Bowlers. Cornerbacks Sean Smith, Brandon Flowers and Dunta Robinson are skilled and experienced.

The offense has some top-end players, too, with running back Jamaal Charles (1,509 rushing yards in 2012) a premier game-breaking threat and wideout Dwayne Bowe a legit go-to target. At quarterback, Smith should be an upgrade over Matt Cassel, and the addition of No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher at left tackle strengthens the offensive line. The Fisher-Brandon Albert tackle tandem should be a real asset for the Chiefs.

With the additions of Reid and Smith, the NFL’s worst passing offense from a season ago has new life. That, in turn, should help a running game that thrived even without defenses having to worry much about the Chiefs’ passing attack.

Finally, Reid’s presence should be a major asset both on the sidelines and in the organization. The Eagles won 10 playoff games and registered nine winning seasons in his 14-season tenure. In that same span, the Chiefs didn’t register a single playoff win and had nine losing seasons.

Weaknesses.

While the Chiefs have some very skilled performers on defense, opponents nonetheless had success attacking Kansas City with the run and pass in 2012. To wit: the Chiefs finished 30th in yards per pass and 25th in yards per rush surrendered a season ago. The secondary should be better with Smith and Robinson joining the cornerback corps, but the run defense — especially right up the heart of the front seven — needs to be monitored. Per NFL statistics, opponents gained 4.78 yards per rush up the middle vs. the Chiefs in 2012.

On offense, the concern is the next wave of players beyond the starters. Kansas City is a little thin at the skill positions, especially at running back, where there is no clear-cut backup to count upon if Charles were to exit the lineup. Swift rookie Knile Davis has the talent to be a key contributor in the backfield, but he struggled with injuries and fumbles at Arkansas.

The depth at wide receiver is somewhat shaky until proven otherwise, too. Beyond Bowe, the top options are Donnie Avery, Jon Baldwin and Dexter McCluster. Avery is fast but comes durability concerns. Baldwin, the Chiefs’ 2011 first-round pick, hasn’t delivered on his potential. McCluster is quick but undersized.

On defense, the primary depth concerns are at outside linebacker, safety and along the defensive line.

Changes

Reid, renowned his work with quarterbacks and a proponent of the West Coast offense, is charged with reshaping the offense. Smith, who’s still not even 30 years old, could benefit form Reid’s tutelage and not having to worry about job security. There is no real threat to replace him on the roster.

In addition to Fisher, new faces on offense include Avery, tight end Anthony Fasano and quarterback Chase Daniel. Avery and Fasano project as regulars, while Daniel, formerly Drew Brees‘ understudy, will be the top backup to Alex Smith.

Rangy Sean Smith, signed from Miami, will start opposite of Flowers at cornerback, with Robinson expected to be the third corner. Robinson should be effective in this role; his experience and physicality ought to serve him well in the latter stages of his career.

The Chiefs will continue to use the 3-4 as their base defense, but Bob Sutton has taken over at coordinator, and some new wrinkles are to be expected.

Camp battles.

For a 2-14 club with a new head coach, the Chiefs don’t figure to have much camp-competition drama. Most starting spots are ably filled.

The offensive line could be the most unsettled position on the team. At center, third-year pro Rodney Hudson would seem to have the edge at center; he began 2012 as the starter before suffering a broken leg that ended his season. However, second-year left guard Jeff Allen got some work in the middle in the offseason, per the Kansas City Star. Allen started 13 games a season ago but graded out as the second-worst run-blocker among qualifying guards in Pro Football Focus’ rankings. Geoff Schwartz and Donald Stephenson are other potential options at guard.

Inside linebacker is another position that could have some intrigue if rookie Nico Johnson can push ex-Eagle Akeem Jordan.

Finally, Davis will get a look at kickoff returner, a position where the club could use more playmaking ability. However, he needs to hold onto the ball.

Prospects.

If Kansas City is playoff-caliber, it will show early. The Chiefs face one 2012 playoff team (Houston) in their first nine games. Five of their first six AFC games before their Week 10 bye are against the Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, Browns and Bills — teams Kansas City should be able to beat.

The Chiefs are going to need to take care of business in the first two months. Their post-bye schedule includes two games against Denver in three weeks. Kansas City also draws Washington and Indianapolis down the stretch. The season finale at San Diego won’t be easy, either.

Overall, though, it’s a manageable schedule for the Chiefs. And it’s probably safe to assume the bottom doesn’t fall out again this year – though we wouldn’t blame Kansas City fans for knocking on wood, given how last season went.

Really, though, the Chiefs’ 2012 form was so bad it cannot be taken at face value. Clearly, they are capable of more.

How much more is the question.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/14/pft-preseason-power-rankings-no-21-kansas-city-chiefs/

Saccopoo
07-14-2013, 02:49 PM
That's a lot of typing. I wonder how much more it will take you before you realize the numbers you're referencing are yards per attempt, not yards per completion. Stafford actually has a higher YPC than Smith.

It took me until right now, and you are correct.

YPC of the top ten passing yardage leaders:

Stafford: 11.41
Rodgers: 11.57
Brees: 12.26
Romo: 11.53
Brady: 12.03
Ryan: 11.18
P. Manning: 11.64
Luck: 12.90
Freeman: 13.28
Palmer: 11.64

Smith: 11.35

Combined with his YPA, which was #3 in the NFL in 2012, it means that Smith is being extremely efficient in his passing and is right there with the top passing leaders in the NFL. (The lower the YPA, the less efficient a QB is being with each possession. Less accuracy, less efficiency.)

Most of the starting NFL QB's were averaging about mid-11's in their YPC. I think it's a fallacy that these guys throwing for 5,000 yards per season are bombing the shit out of the field.

I'll take the increased completions for 11 yards up and down the field all game long versus a guy airing it out and only hitting 59% of his passes.

milkman
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Your presentation is misleading sac.

I'm fairly certain that 11.35 ypa ranked him at 22nd or 23rd in the league, or bottom 3rd, in other words.

BigMeatballDave
07-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I think it's funny that most of the people that allow him to get under their skin are actually just like him.

Ridiculous homers.

Not true at all. Not even remotely.

RunKC
07-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Brock Assweiler hasn't proven shit. It would be a significant from him Manning to that turd.

I would easily take Alex Smith here over Assweiler starting in Denver.

Easy 6
07-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Good grief, 4.7+ per rush against us last year, thats just rolling over with your ass in the breeze... just an unbelieveable, Madden-like number, what was Romeo doing?

Cant. wait. to see a more attacking style in play, make that runner react to YOU, not vice-versa.

Ace Gunner
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Good grief, 4.7+ per rush against us last year, thats just rolling over with your ass in the breeze... just an unbelieveable, Madden-like number, what was Romeo doing?

Cant. wait. to see a more attacking style in play, make that runner react to YOU, not vice-versa.

bu bu bu but Glenn Dorsey :D

Easy 6
07-14-2013, 05:44 PM
bu bu bu but Glenn Dorsey :D

Heh, count me among the duped, in spite of what i thought i saw and what PFF has to say... he sure didnt seem to make much difference when you see those numbers.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Sac is just killing it this offseason. Efficiency is overlooked by the legions of Madden Nation ballas/Fantasy obsessed NFL fans.

Ace Gunner
07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
ya, devito can shed and stack blockers so he will be a better run stuffer. In this new attack style, DJ is going to have to play physical & smart ball in there. this is more like a Ravens defense up front -- we used to hear Ray Ray talk bout how he had to fight off OL guys to make plays inside. This defense is going to be very dependent on DJ. While he's as athletic as any at that position, he has not played very smart on a consistent basis throughout a season, though he did get his head out his ass and ball it the last 10 games of 2012.

To me, DJ is the pivot man in 2013.

Saccopoo
07-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Your presentation is misleading sac.

I'm fairly certain that 11.35 ypa ranked him at 22nd or 23rd in the league, or bottom 3rd, in other words.

His yards per attempt (8.0) puts him in a tie at #3 with P. Manning and Cam Newton, with Griffin at #2 (8.1) and Kaepernick at #1 with 8.3 ypa.

His ypc, at 11.35, was roughly middle of the pack, though there isn't much separating the QB's on ypc. (Quinn was one of the worst at 10.18 and Cassel was 11.15. Best was Newton at 13.81.)

Smith was also #3 in the league in first down passing % at 39.9%, with Brady and Ryan tied for #1 at 40.0%.

All I am saying is that while Smith hasn't put up huge total yardage numbers, he's been exceptionally efficient with passing the ball and he doesn't put the ball into the defenses hands. Combine that with a solid running game, which the Chiefs have, and you've got yourself, potentially, a pretty capable offense.

It's not going to be a Martz/Vermeil aerial showcase, but it's got all of the hallmarks of being a very solid, consistent and successful system. Smith, Bowe, Charles, the O-line and Reid look to be perfect matches. Add to that a very good tight end group and it's a nice looking offense.

While I took it with a grain of salt, I'm more inclined to lean towards Bowe's prediction of him leading the league in completions and TD's and Charles wearing the rushing crown than away from such grandiose statements. Smith will set both of those guys up very well to let them do what they do, which no one around here should complain about.

Coogs
07-15-2013, 06:56 AM
ya, devito can shed and stack blockers so he will be a better run stuffer. In this new attack style, DJ is going to have to play physical & smart ball in there. this is more like a Ravens defense up front -- we used to hear Ray Ray talk bout how he had to fight off OL guys to make plays inside. This defense is going to be very dependent on DJ. While he's as athletic as any at that position, he has not played very smart on a consistent basis throughout a season, though he did get his head out his ass and ball it the last 10 games of 2012.

To me, DJ is the pivot man in 2013.

If you look at the rookie numbers for Casey Hampton and Poe, they are not all that much different. If Poe can make the leap into the elite NT group and dominate the position like Hampton did for years at Pittsburgh, I think our defense has a chance to rocket to the top of the NFL.

To me, Poe is the key man in 2013.

Rausch
07-15-2013, 07:17 AM
If you look at the rookie numbers for Casey Hampton and Poe, they are not all that much different. If Poe can make the leap into the elite NT group and dominate the position like Hampton did for years at Pittsburgh, I think our defense has a chance to rocket to the top of the NFL.

To me, Poe is the key man in 2013.

I'm still holding out hope for Powe as a solid rotational guy.

He seemed to be the Greg Hill on defense last year. He'd be in for one play, penetrate and get in the backfield, then he's walking off the field.

I'm not saying he should start over Poe but he should get his PT...

Fat Elvis
07-15-2013, 09:00 AM
His yards per attempt (8.0) puts him in a tie at #3 with P. Manning and Cam Newton, with Griffin at #2 (8.1) and Kaepernick at #1 with 8.3 ypa.

His ypc, at 11.35, was roughly middle of the pack, though there isn't much separating the QB's on ypc. (Quinn was one of the worst at 10.18 and Cassel was 11.15. Best was Newton at 13.81.)

Smith was also #3 in the league in first down passing % at 39.9%, with Brady and Ryan tied for #1 at 40.0%.

All I am saying is that while Smith hasn't put up huge total yardage numbers, he's been exceptionally efficient with passing the ball and he doesn't put the ball into the defenses hands. Combine that with a solid running game, which the Chiefs have, and you've got yourself, potentially, a pretty capable offense.

It's not going to be a Martz/Vermeil aerial showcase, but it's got all of the hallmarks of being a very solid, consistent and successful system. Smith, Bowe, Charles, the O-line and Reid look to be perfect matches. Add to that a very good tight end group and it's a nice looking offense.

While I took it with a grain of salt, I'm more inclined to lean towards Bowe's prediction of him leading the league in completions and TD's and Charles wearing the rushing crown than away from such grandiose statements. Smith will set both of those guys up very well to let them do what they do, which no one around here should complain about.

Absolutely. I don't see why people can't understand that this is a team sport and that with the different pieces in place on this team the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

MagicHef
07-15-2013, 09:28 AM
8.0 YPA is a little misleading, that was his YPA for the half season he played in 2012.

In 2011 it was 7.1, and his career YPA is 6.6.

Mav
07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
8.0 YPA is a little misleading, that was his YPA for the half season he played in 2012.

In 2011 it was 7.1, and his career YPA is 6.6.

The stat isn't misleading at all. That is the stat. he threw the exact same amount of passes that Colin Kaepernick threw during the regular season, to the number 218. Kaep ended .2 higher at 8.3. And Alex Smith had finally found consistency with Crabtree. 3 tds in their last 5 quarters together. If anything, that number was going to get better. They were getting ready to play some pretty shitty defenses.

Mile High Mania
07-15-2013, 12:02 PM
http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/11/2013-nfl-preview-afc-west/

Here's one for ya...

"This is the one division that will head into this season with an absolute, obvious favorite to finish first. That team is the Denver Broncos..."

Chiefs:
Where they stand: Seemingly every season in the NFL, a team bounces back from a last-place finish to make the playoffs. Are the Chiefs the 2013 Cinderella? Granted, it is a massive leap from 2-14 to the playoffs, so let’s start a little more slowly: Kansas City could have an elite secondary after adding CBs Sean Smith and Dunta Robinson; RB Jamaal Charles might bust loose in Reid’s scheme; Smith has developed into an impressive QB, and he’s behind what might be a very solid O-line; the receivers and defensive front seven have ample talent. This may not be a 10-win team, but a minimum of six wins is realistic.

Easy 6
07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
LMAO I will eat a literal poop sandwich if we only win 6 games.

ptlyon
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Noted.

loochy
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

youd better not welch

Discuss Thrower
07-15-2013, 12:38 PM

This is very unwise...

WakkaWakka
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Screencapped

MagicHef
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Here are the teams that have gone worst to first in the last 10 years (which is when the current division structure started), and the number of games behind they were when they were worst.

2003 KC 3, CAR 5
2004 SD 9, ATL 6
2005 CHI 5, TB 6
2006 PHI 5, NO 8
2007 TB 6
2008 MIA 15
2009 NO 4
2010 KC 9
2011 DEN 6
2012 WAS 4

The Chiefs were 11 games behind last season, and it seems like a similar situation to Miami's 2008 season would be necessary to go worst to first.

Interestingly, going worst to first (14 times in 10 years) was more common than going worst to wildcard (11 times).

Mile High Mania
07-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Here are the teams that have gone worst to first in the last 10 years (which is when the current division structure started), and the number of games behind they were when they were worst.

2003 KC 3, CAR 5
2004 SD 9, ATL 6
2005 CHI 5, TB 6
2006 PHI 5, NO 8
2007 TB 6
2008 MIA 15
2009 NO 4
2010 KC 9
2011 DEN 6
2012 WAS 4

The Chiefs were 11 games behind last season, and it seems like a similar situation to Miami's 2008 season would be necessary to go worst to first.

Interestingly, going worst to first (14 times in 10 years) was more common than going worst to wildcard (11 times).

Am I reading this right? You're saying that the Chiefs have gone from worst to first twice in the last 10 years, attempting to make it 3 out of the last 11 years in 2013? A freaking roller coaster of highs and lows...

MagicHef
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Am I reading this right? You're saying that the Chiefs have gone from worst to first twice in the last 10 years, attempting to make it 3 out of the last 11 years in 2013? A freaking roller coaster of highs and lows...

Yes, if you consider one-and-done a high.

MagicHef
07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
An interesting factoid:

Of the 5 worst-to-first situations that occurred in the past 5 years, Matt Cassel has played a large role in 3 of them.

Coogs
07-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Yeah, it seems like more of one of those county fair type roller coaster rides for kids. Pretty flat with a couple of hic-cups for highs.

Mile High Mania
07-15-2013, 03:27 PM

More referring to the peaks and valleys.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Alex Smith really is a shit sandwich if we only win six games with this talent.

Saccopoo
07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
More referring to the peaks and valleys.

Strength of schedule.

Chiefs should benefit greatly from this in the coming season, though they are better equipped from a personnel and coaching perspective to be a viable playoff team this season then they were in those previous worst-to-first seasons.

This is a pretty freaking good team on paper from a talent perspective and I think that the coaching staff that was put together is one of the more impressive groups I've ever seen.

The big question marks are:

1. Offensive line gelling sooner rather than later.
- Getting Fisher into the lineup on the right side is huge. Less pressure than at the LT position and he can just go out and play. Hudson was one of the most impressive college offensive linemen I've ever seen play and I'm not worried about him whatsoever. The only real question mark is at guard where Allen struggled last year and Asamoah hasn't really ever progressed past his rookie season. However, having quality guys like Schwartz and Reynolds pushing them should give them the motivation to perform at a high level.

Stud player: Eric Fisher
- Fisher should be balls right from the get go at RT in this system. Might even possibly stay there long term as there isn't much of a difference in the LT and RT these days.

Darkhorse player: Don Stephenson
- Stephenson is the most gifted player on the offensive line. Huge, athletic as hell with a very nice skill set. Albert will get one more chance/season to sign a reasonable contract and if he doesn't Fisher will be your LT and Stephenson your RT in 2014. As well, if either Allen or Asamoah falters at the guard spots, you'll be seeing Big Don in the lineup sooner rather than later.

2. Wide receiver options past Dwayne Bowe.
- Avery has the speed to stretch the field, and that will be nice if/when teams double down on Bowe, but he's more of a #3 guy, especially in a West Coast system. This is the make it or break it year for Baldwin. The physical talent is there in spades, but he needs to translate it to the field on a consistent basis. He doesn't need to be a 1000 yard guy, but he does need to be able to be the guy that uses his size to go over the middle with regularity as well as his speed to extend the field from time to time. McCluster should see a lot of touches, but he'll still be a gimmick type of player at a number of positions versus a regular at the wideout spot.

Stud player: Dwayne Bowe
- Easy call here. Bowe has been a 1,000 yard receiver nearly every year he's been in the league with absolute garbage throwing to him. He's now got a QB that is very accurate and efficient who will get him the ball at the correct space and time. He should have a monster year.

Darkhorse player: Junior Hemingway
- Built more like an H-Back than a receiver, Junior has very good hands and runs nice routes. If Baldwin doesn't pick up the offense and struggles with his route running, Hemingway could be a viable option for the #2 spot.

3. Defensive line.
- This unit is going to be backed up by one of the best linebacking AND secondaries in the NFL, which should help a ton, but the big guys up front are going to be the key to getting the LB's and DB's to perform. DeVito is a lunchpail guy who will go hard every play, but Jackson and Poe really need to step it up from what they gave us in 2012. Poe should be much better in a Sutton's one gap attacking defense versus Crennel's two gap read and react. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at LDE at times with Powe at the nose to take advantage of his size, speed and athleticism, especially if Jackson continues to be pedestrian in his play.

Stud player: Mike DeVito
- While DeVito isn't going to rack up the sacks, he'll be an animal every down he's on the field and is very good at engaging two blockers. Plays bigger than he is and will plug the gaps on the runs.

Darkhorse player: Allen Bailey
- Bailey flashed his rookie year and showed an ability to get into the backfield on third down situations, but sort of regressed last season. Has the size, strength and speed to be a beast in sub-packages and should thrive under Sutton and his scheme.

Easy 6
07-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Nice post Sacc, like you, i'm a bit worried about the receivers outside of Bowe.

Its a little too sketchy there for my tastes.

R8RFAN
07-15-2013, 06:00 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/965/921/janikowskifg_original.gif?1373731428

Discuss Thrower
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
My non-personnel related concerns in 2013:

1a) Winning in Florida
1b) Beating the Jags
2) Beating Dallas
3) Winning in Buffalo for the first time in (IIRC) two decades
4) Beating Oakland at home for the first time in seven years

Pasta Little Brioni
07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/11/2013-nfl-preview-afc-west/

Here's one for ya...

"This is the one division that will head into this season with an absolute, obvious favorite to finish first. That team is the Denver Broncos..."

Chiefs:
Where they stand: Seemingly every season in the NFL, a team bounces back from a last-place finish to make the playoffs. Are the Chiefs the 2013 Cinderella? Granted, it is a massive leap from 2-14 to the playoffs, so let’s start a little more slowly: Kansas City could have an elite secondary after adding CBs Sean Smith and Dunta Robinson; RB Jamaal Charles might bust loose in Reid’s scheme; Smith has developed into an impressive QB, and he’s behind what might be a very solid O-line; the receivers and defensive front seven have ample talent. This may not be a 10-win team, but a minimum of six wins is realistic.

Bullshit Who wrote this Slowmo or Hef. There are no guarentees in the NFL....except for the recent Pats of course. Jughead is ancient and if he goes down they are fucked.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Your QB knows all about those

Mile High Mania
07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Bullshit Who wrote this Slowmo or Hef. There are no guarentees in the NFL....except for the recent Pats of course. Jughead is ancient and if he goes down they are ****ed.

Thank you Captain Obvious. Yes, much like the rest of the NFL... if they lose the starting QB, they're f'ed. And, there absolutely are not many guarantees in the NFL, but barring something monumental happening - Denver is in a great position right now with that team.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Thank you Captain Obvious. Yes, much like the rest of the NFL... if they lose the starting QB, they're f'ed. And, there absolutely are not many guarantees in the NFL, but barring something monumental happening - Denver is in a great position right now with that team.

Not everyone has a QB old as dirt with a broken neck rumored to be in poor shape healthwise still though. That's the difference.e

Mile High Mania
07-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Not everyone has a QB old as dirt with a broken neck rumored to be in poor shape healthwise still though. That's the difference.e

Oh yeah, I forgot some of you are buying into some wild report on a nothing website... good luck with that one.

whoman69
07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
There have been people that picked us for the last three years. Didn't turn out so well. Signing Alex Smith relegates us to five years of mediocrity followed by another five trying to avoid drafting a QB.

Mav
07-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Nice post Sacc, like you, i'm a bit worried about the receivers outside of Bowe.

Its a little too sketchy there for my tastes.

I wouldn't be. Alex Smith is used to having shit receivers. 2011, was absolutely awful. He will make use of Charles, the run game, the tight ends and bowe and get enough done........

Dwayne Bowe is the best receiver Alex Smith has ever played with in his prime. Randy Moss was done, Isaac Bruce was done, Arnaz Battle? Josh Morgan? Michael Crabtree is okay. Hes not great, and hes certainly not Dwayne Bowe. Could you imagine the numbers Dwayne Bowe could put up with Colin Kaepernick?

Saccopoo
07-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't be. Alex Smith is used to having shit receivers. 2011, was absolutely awful. He will make use of Charles, the run game, the tight ends and bowe and get enough done........

Dwayne Bowe is the best receiver Alex Smith has ever played with in his prime. Randy Moss was done, Isaac Bruce was done, Arnaz Battle? Josh Morgan? Michael Crabtree is okay. Hes not great, and hes certainly not Dwayne Bowe. Could you imagine the numbers Dwayne Bowe could put up with Colin Kaepernick?

Don't care and I really don't think that they'd be much different than what you are going to see in KC this season.

However, I'm imagining the numbers he's going to put up with Smith and I think that they are going to be pretty terrific numbers, especially with teams having to worry about Charles out of the backfield and a good tight end group. Any production from Avery, McCluster, Hemingway and Wylie from the other wide receiver spots is going to be bonus time and with Smith's ability to throw the ball with accuracy in the intermediate range should really play to the strengths of the receiving group in totality.

This is a good frickin' team on both sides of the ball with a very good coaching staff and a favorable schedule.

The Chiefs are going to do some damage this year and could get on a real roll. If they gel early and develop continuity, they could realistically threaten the playoffs with a deep run. They are a much better cumulative team than the Colts last season, who went from worst in 2011 to 11-5 and the playoffs in 2012.

My prediction for 2013:

AFC West:

1. Kansas City Chiefs: 11-5
2. Denver Broncos: 10-6
3. San Diego Chargers: 6-10
4. Oakland Raiders: 5-11

Chiefs end their playoff run with a loss to the Houston Texans in the AFC Championship game.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Im not counting on it, but I would take that

ChiefAshhole20
07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I fucking hate the Broncos, and I don't see them winning less than 12

Mile High Mania
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Don't care and I really don't think that they'd be much different than what you are going to see in KC this season.

However, I'm imagining the numbers he's going to put up with Smith and I think that they are going to be pretty terrific numbers, especially with teams having to worry about Charles out of the backfield and a good tight end group. Any production from Avery, McCluster, Hemingway and Wylie from the other wide receiver spots is going to be bonus time and with Smith's ability to throw the ball with accuracy in the intermediate range should really play to the strengths of the receiving group in totality.

This is a good frickin' team on both sides of the ball with a very good coaching staff and a favorable schedule.

The Chiefs are going to do some damage this year and could get on a real roll. If they gel early and develop continuity, they could realistically threaten the playoffs with a deep run. They are a much better cumulative team than the Colts last season, who went from worst in 2011 to 11-5 and the playoffs in 2012.

My prediction for 2013:

AFC West:

Chiefs end their playoff run with a loss to the Houston Texans in the AFC Championship game.

Ok, so go look at the schedule and tell me the 11 wins you see for KC and the 10 wins you see for Denver.

The bolded part stood out to me... yeah, I think Bowe is a very good WR. But, the TEs and the other WRs are a bag of spares at this point. Yes, Charles is good, but Smith isn't a Flacco type... hell, he's a little better than an Orton type, maybe.

So, let me know the 11 and 10 wins you see for the teams... I'm quite curious.

ptlyon
07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
:popcorn:

Discuss Thrower
07-16-2013, 02:45 PM

My prediction for 2013:

AFC West:

Oh snap, we have a prediction.

Who are the five losses to?

R8RFAN
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Seems like I have heard this story before... Wasn't it last year?

BossChief
07-16-2013, 04:05 PM

Stay down, bitch. :)

stonedstooge
07-16-2013, 04:07 PM

SHUD UP YOU CREEPY AZZ CRACKA

ThaVirus
07-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot some of you are buying into some wild report on a nothing website... good luck with that one.

Yeah, I bought into that hype last season and ill never do that again.

Peyton's arm strength was obviously not what it once was and looked even worse in the cold against Baltimore in the playoffs, but as long as he has that fat ass head filled with football knowledge they'll be the best in the division.

That's why I couldn't see us going worst to first. Peyton alone is worth 9 wins at least. You could put him on any team in the history of the NFL and I'd bet half my salary that they'd win at least 9 games. Our best bet is to ride out the Wildcard for the next couple seasons until be retires. Then, hopefully, will be our time to shine.

R8RFAN
07-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I bought into that hype last season and ill never do that again.

Peyton's arm strength was obviously not what it once was and looked even worse in the cold against Baltimore in the playoffs, but as long as he has that fat ass head filled with football knowledge they'll be the best in the division.

That's why I couldn't see us going worst to first. Peyton alone is worth 9 wins at least. You could put him on any team in the history of the NFL and I'd bet half my salary that they'd win at least 9 games. Our best bet is to ride out the Wildcard for the next couple seasons until be retires. Then, hopefully, will be our time to shine.

WildCard LMAO FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS LMAO

Raiderhater
07-16-2013, 05:33 PM

My prediction for 2013:

AFC West:

I thought I was optimistic going into this season. :) I could see it though. Smith is not Drew Brees but, he not as bad as people around here make him out to be. Plus he has something to prove. And with the exception of a couple of questionable spots has a pretty solid team around him. not to mention a hell of a coaching staff. I am willing to go into this season with not just an open mind but, some hopes as well.

ThaVirus
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
WildCard LMAO FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS LMAO

That's the second best scenario, penis breath. And the most likely for all the optimists.

Best case scenario is a preseason Peyton death.

R8RFAN
07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
That's the second best scenario, penis breath. And the most likely for all the optimists.

Best case scenario is a preseason Peyton death.

ROFLROFL:deevee::deevee:ROFL:D

Saccopoo
07-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Ok, so go look at the schedule and tell me the 11 wins you see for KC and the 10 wins you see for Denver.

So, let me know the 11 and 10 wins you see for the teams... I'm quite curious.

Denver:

1. Ravens: Win
2. @ Giants: Loss
3. Raiders: Win
4. Eagles: Win
5. @ Cowboys: Loss
6. Jaguars: Win
7. @ Colts: Loss
8. Redskins: Win
9. Bye
10. @ Chargers: Win
11. Chiefs: Win
12. @ Pats: Loss
13. @ Chiefs: Loss
14. Titans: Win
15. Chargers: Win
16. @ Texans: Loss
17. @ Raiders: Win

10-6 Wildcard

Chiefs:

1. @ Jaguars: Win
2. Cowboys: Win
3. @ Eagles: Win
4. Giants: Loss
5. @ Titans: Win
6. Raiders: Win
7. Texans: Loss
8. Browns: Win
9. @ Bills: Loss
10. Bye
11. @ Broncos: Loss
12. Chargers: Win
13. Broncos: Win
14. @ Redskins: Loss
15. @ Raiders: Win
16. Colts: Win
17. @ Chargers: Win

11-5, AFC West Divisional Champions

The bolded part stood out to me... yeah, I think Bowe is a very good WR. But, the TEs and the other WRs are a bag of spares at this point. Yes, Charles is good, but Smith isn't a Flacco type... hell, he's a little better than an Orton type, maybe.

Fasano is solid, Moeaki can be very good depending upon injury rehab and Kelce is a rookie, so we'll see but he was pretty hyped following his last season in college going into the draft. That's a pretty good three deep rotation at the TE spot.

And as I stated, the #2 WR spot is a question mark. Baldwin has as good a physical ability and size as anyone in the league. I think having Smith at QB and the West Coast system will help him tremendously. In addition, McCluster will be solid as the 3/4 guy (depending upon what they want to do with him on returns versus the passing game - sounds like he's going to be the full time return man). I think Hemingway will end up being the #4 guy behind Bowe, Baldwin and Avery with McCluster seeing gimmick/gadget action on offense and being the full time return guy.

And you are flat out bat shit crazy if you think that Smith is "a little better than an Orton type, maybe."

Smith was top three in the league last year in completion percentage, QB rating and yards per attempt. He's athletic, a legit 6'4", 230 lbs., very smart and doesn't give the ball to the defense. Extremely efficient with his passing and will be supported by a system that fits his skill set to a "T" and an extremely good running game. The Chiefs will be very balanced offensively and Smith is a big reason for that.

ThaVirus
07-16-2013, 11:11 PM
You're smoking that good shit, brother.

Carry on..

ThaVirus
07-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Chiefs:

10. Bye

We always win a game that we had no business winning and losing at least one that we had no business losing.

I see you predicted a loss to the Bills (which, lately, would be par for the course), but which is your most likely candidate for the game that we steal?

Discuss Thrower
07-16-2013, 11:16 PM
We always win a game that we had no business winning and losing at least one that we had no business losing.

I see you predicted a loss to the Bills (which, lately, would be par for the course), but which is your most likely candidate for the game that we steal?

Texans or Denver I'm guessing

O.city
07-16-2013, 11:21 PM
We haven't had a coach as good as Andy Reid since Marty. I could see that being true record wise but I'm gonna wait till preseason to se how things go befor I make a prediction

BossChief
07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
If we don't at least win 8 of those games on our schedule, that will be sad.

That's a cake schedule.

Rausch
07-17-2013, 06:13 AM
If we don't at least win 8 of those games on our schedule, that will be sad.

That's a cake schedule.

It doesn't get any easier.

On top of that the Chargers and Raiders probably won't win 10 games combined...

ptlyon
07-17-2013, 06:39 AM
I'll have what he's having

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Denver:

5. @ Cowboys: Win
7. @ Colts: Win
9. Bye
13. @ Chiefs: Win

13-3 Division Winners

Chiefs:

1. @ Jaguars: Loss
2. Cowboys: Loss
10. Bye
13. Broncos: Loss
16. Colts: Loss
17. @ Chargers: Loss

6-10

And you are flat out bat shit crazy if you think that Smith is "a little better than an Orton type, maybe."

Smith was top three in the league last year in completion percentage, QB rating and yards per attempt. He's athletic, a legit 6'4", 230 lbs., very smart and doesn't give the ball to the defense. Extremely efficient with his passing and will be supported by a system that fits his skill set to a "T" and an extremely good running game. The Chiefs will be very balanced offensively and Smith is a big reason for that.

Fixed the schedules for you.

I don't see the problem with listing Smith as similar to Orton. Over their careers, Orton has the same number of TDs but 26 fewer turnovers, even though he has played 8 fewer games than Smith. Orton's YPA and YPC are both higher than Smith's.

However, I know that you don't like to look at anything Smith did before 2012, so here are their best statistical seasons compared:

Smith: 7.97 YPA, 11.35 YPC, 13 TD, 8 turnovers
Orton: 7.34 YPA, 12.47 YPC, 20 TD, 10 turnovers

Mav
07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Fixed the schedules for you.

I don't see the problem with listing Smith as similar to Orton. Over their careers, Orton has the same number of TDs but 26 fewer turnovers, even though he has played 8 fewer games than Smith. Orton's YPA and YPC are both higher than Smith's.

However, I know that you don't like to look at anything Smith did before 2012, so here are their best statistical seasons compared:

Smith: 7.97 YPA, 11.35 YPC, 13 TD, 8 turnovers
Orton: 7.34 YPA, 12.47 YPC, 20 TD, 10 turnovers

The Chiefs aren't losing week one to Jacksonville. Ill put my house on that. No Blackmon, and they don't know who their qb is.......

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
The Chiefs aren't losing week one to Jacksonville. Ill put my house on that. No Blackmon, and they don't know who their qb is.......

Florida in early September is miserable. Excepting Oakland's domination in the 70's, AFCW teams are 3-10 in Florida in September, and 2 of those wins came against horrible Tampa Bay teams.

The 13-3 2005 Broncos got destroyed in Miami in the season opener, losing by 24 points. Their other two losses were by 1 and 4 points.

Add to that the first game in a new system for offense and defense, and I don't like KC's chances no matter how good they are and no matter how bad Jacksonville is.

Wildcat2005
07-17-2013, 09:42 AM
They should beat Jacksonville, but I doubt they go 5-1 in the division

They havent swept the Raiders and Chargers in a while, I am not sure why those would all be penciled in as wins

Fat Elvis
07-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Denver:

9. Bye

10-6 Wildcard

Chiefs:

10. Bye

Fasano is solid, Moeaki can be very good depending upon injury rehab and Kelce is a rookie, so we'll see but he was pretty hyped following his last season in college going into the draft. That's a pretty good three deep rotation at the TE spot.

And as I stated, the #2 WR spot is a question mark. Baldwin has as good a physical ability and size as anyone in the league. I think having Smith at QB and the West Coast system will help him tremendously. In addition, McCluster will be solid as the 3/4 guy (depending upon what they want to do with him on returns versus the passing game - sounds like he's going to be the full time return man). I think Hemingway will end up being the #4 guy behind Bowe, Baldwin and Avery with McCluster seeing gimmick/gadget action on offense and being the full time return guy.

I think the Chiefs offensive lineup is basically Reid's idea of a dream team. He has a cerebral, accurate QB who protects the ball, he has bookend tackles and a solid interior line, he has really big recievers with deceptive speed and the ability to block, solid tight ends, a wide reciever who is fast enough to keep D's honest and a probowl running back who is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. With all these pieces in place, coupled with Reid's scheme, this should be an outstanding offense this year. He really couldn't ask for a better situation.

Alex Smith really couldn't ask for a better situation either. Just look at the playmakers at his disposal:

Bowe- 6'2" 221lbs 4.51
Baldwin- 6'4" 230lbs 4.49
Fasano- 6'4" 255lbs 4.72
Moeaki- 6'3" 252lbs 4.69
Kelce- 6'5" 255lbs 4.64
Avery- 5'11" 186lbs 4.27
McCluster-5'9" 170lbs 4.59
Charles-6'1" 200lbs 4.36
Davis-6'0" 227lbs 4.35

If ASmith can throw with any semblance of accuracy, and by all accounts he can, there is no way to cover the playmakers. Our recievers are too big for most CBs to cover without them getting insane YACs and our TEs are too fast for LBs to cover well. D's are gonna have to play back a bit to make sure the play stays in front of them so they can get help. Doing that however, creates all kinds of opportunities for Jamaal--add in to the fact that our TEs and WRs are really accomplished blockers.

This will be a fun season.

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Oh, but can I still have your house if KC loses week one?

Sorter
07-17-2013, 09:47 AM
3. @ Eagles: Loss
8. Browns: Loss
10. Bye
15. @ Raiders: Loss

This team could very well end up at 4-12, much like they did after the last time they went 2-14. Additionally, thinking you'll sweep both division opponents is silly, unless you're a team that is clearly better such as the stupid Donks. The trend for the past several years is for KC to split those games.

Mav
07-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh, but can I still have your house if KC loses week one?

only if I can have yours if they don't. And I can see your point about the record, but I just don't see it. Once the Chiefs take out MJD, and the Chiefs establish their run game in that heat, what is already a very thin defense for the Jags, is going to get tired. Alex Smith is the best at knowing when to check into a run. I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaal Charles doesn't break 200 yards rushing on the day. I don't see anyway possible for the Jags to win that game.

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 09:51 AM
only if I can have yours if they don't. And I can see your point about the record, but I just don't see it. Once the Chiefs take out MJD, and the Chiefs establish their run game in that heat, what is already a very thin defense for the Jags, is going to get tired. Alex Smith is the best at knowing when to check into a run. I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaal Charles doesn't break 200 yards rushing on the day. I don't see anyway possible for the Jags to win that game.

No, I'm still using mine.

Why do all the Chiefs' plans for victory hinge on injuring opposing players?

Mav
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
10. Bye

This team could very well end up at 4-12, much like they did after the last time they went 2-14. Additionally, thinking you'll sweep both division opponents is silly, unless you're a team that is clearly better such as the stupid Donks. The trend for the past several years is for KC to split those games.

Can I ask other than the fact that its a road game that you think the ANDY REID led Chiefs are going to lose to the Eagles. I cant believe there is a game on your schedule that Andy Reid will want to win more than that one. I also say because Philly on paper, is a very bad team, implementing a system that is very much like the system that Steve Spurrier tried to implement in Washington. So I am not sure what it is that makes people think that Philly, who drafted 4th last year, and didn't seem to get better, is all of a sudden going to be that much better?

Mav
07-17-2013, 09:53 AM
No, I'm still using mine.

Why do all the Chiefs' plans for victory hinge on injuring opposing players?

no, not out, as in injured, out as in the Chiefs have a big enough lead that the jags cant rely anymore on the running game.

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 10:50 AM
no, not out, as in injured, out as in the Chiefs have a big enough lead that the jags cant rely anymore on the running game.

Oh, of course.

The Chiefs certainly are used to blowouts.

ptlyon
07-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Oh, of course.

CHECKDOWNS ARE AMAZINGTH!

ptlyon
07-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Oh, of course.

And we really should emphasize here that Magic is referring to giving the said blowout.

The Chiefs occasionally give a good blowout, but are more apt to get a good blowout.

Quesadilla Joe
07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Denver isn't going 2-6 on the road. Sac is severely underrating the Broncos. Severely.

Three7s
07-17-2013, 11:24 AM

I agree with losing to the Bills, as well. We haven't won in Buffalo since 1986. No question, the Chiefs play their worst in Buffalo. As for game we could steal, I'd have to go with the Redskins. We've never lost to them and I think we can handle the option.

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 11:40 AM
10. Bye

Is this your prediction, or your worst case scenario?

RunKC
07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Florida in early September is miserable. Excepting Oakland's domination in the 70's, AFCW teams are 3-10 in Florida in September, and 2 of those wins came against horrible Tampa Bay teams.

The 13-3 2005 Broncos got destroyed in Miami in the season opener, losing by 24 points. Their other two losses were by 1 and 4 points.

Add to that the first game in a new system for offense and defense, and I don't like KC's chances no matter how good they are and no matter how bad Jacksonville is.

The Chiefs have the same defense. They are just attacking more. That's it.

The Jaguars don't have any pass rushers of note that are dangerous in any way. And their secondary is basically full of rookies.

Add no Blackmon and they don't have any scary WR's.

We're winning that one.

Sorter
07-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Is this your prediction, or your worst case scenario?

Prediction

milkman
07-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Just look at the playmakers at his disposal:

Bowe- 6'2" 221lbs 4.51
Baldwin- 6'4" 230lbs 4.49
Fasano- 6'4" 255lbs 4.72
Moeaki- 6'3" 252lbs 4.69
Kelce- 6'5" 255lbs 4.64
Avery- 5'11" 186lbs 4.27
McCluster-5'9" 170lbs 4.59
Charles-6'1" 200lbs 4.36
Davis-6'0" 227lbs 4.35

The only playmakers on that list are Charles and Bowe.

The rest are just homeristic fantasy.

Mile High Mania
07-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Denver:

9. Bye

10-6 Wildcard

Thanks for posting... Honestly though, 2-6 on the road? I don't see that happening. They have some tough road games and the bold red are where I might differe one way or the other. 8-0 at home would be nice, but someone like WAS, BAL could sneak up and bite 'em. (not that BAL is sneaking up on any team, but I do think Denver wins that one)

Again, I think they get to 10-11 wins - will be hard to get back to 13 again, but not impossible.

Denver:

I still think the WR depth and TEs are a 'bunch of guys with nice upside' to be honest. Sure, I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time, but I just don't see a lot of play makers there, just a solid group that may or may not raise their game with a guy like Smith. Again, he's a good QB, won't make a lot of bonehead plays, but I just question his ability to rally the masses and lead them.

Denver's schedule is interesting...
5 of the first 8 games before the bye are in Denver.
4 of the last 6 games are on the road.

Pros and cons balance out there I think, especially with road trips to NE, HOU, KC and OAK in that final stretch.

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
The Chiefs have the same defense. They are just attacking more. That's it.

The Jaguars don't have any pass rushers of note that are dangerous in any way. And their secondary is basically full of rookies.

Add no Blackmon and they don't have any scary WR's.

We're winning that one.

I thought you guys were switching to one-gap?

Again, it's not about the talent. If this were in KC, I think you'd win easily.

Mav
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
The only playmakers on that list are Charles and Bowe.

The rest are just homeristic fantasy.
God, because you know for sure how Fasano, Kelce, and Avery are going to play in this offense. Alex Smith has a history of meshing well with Tight Ends. He also did very well last year with Kyle Williams who is the same mold as Avery. Your presumptions, are far off base.
I thought you guys were switching to one-gap?

Again, it's not about the talent. If this were in KC, I think you'd win easily.

I just cant see it. Jax is that bad. They didn't add anything to that offense other than Joeckell, and they are still going with Gabbert, or Henne. There is no reason to think that the Jags, being in Jax, or not, should win this game.

milkman
07-17-2013, 01:09 PM
God, because you know for sure how Fasano, Kelce, and Avery are going to play in this offense. Alex Smith has a history of meshing well with Tight Ends. He also did very well last year with Kyle Williams who is the same mold as Avery. Your presumptions, are far off base.

I just cant see it. Jax is that bad. They didn't add anything to that offense other than Joeckell, and they are still going with Gabbert, or Henne. There is no reason to think that the Jags, being in Jax, or not, should in this game.

There isn't any presumption.

The only proven playmakers are the two I listed.

The rest are just hope.

ChiefsCountry
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM

The Chiefs since the merger are 5-17 in games played in Florida. Even during the Marty years, the smart money was to give a loss to the Chiefs when they play in Florida.

ptlyon
07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
The Chiefs since the merger are 5-17 in games played in Florida. Even during the Marty years, the smart money was to give a loss to the Chiefs when they play in Florida.

That was before the all holy was hired tho

MagicHef
07-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Tebow is the only Broncos QB to ever win an away game against the Dolphins.

ChiefsCountry
07-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Tebow is the only Broncos QB to ever win an away game against the Dolphins.

3 of the best Chiefs teams ever.

1997 Chiefs 13-3 lost to Dolphins and Jaguars
1995 Chiefs 13-3 lost to Dolphins
1993 Chiefs 11-5 lost to Dolphins, beat Tampa Bay

Its really amazing how shitty they are in Florida.

Discuss Thrower
07-17-2013, 08:20 PM
For those of the more visual-spatial mindset, here's this graphic tool (http://clinton-morell.com/n.html?a=-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA_)for predicting the 2013 season

Mile High Mania
07-17-2013, 08:23 PM
For those of the more visual-spatial mindset, here's this graphic tool (http://clinton-morell.com/n.html?a=-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA_)for predicting the 2013 season

That could be fun... If you had the time.

Mav
07-17-2013, 08:23 PM
There isn't any presumption.

The only proven playmakers are the two I listed.

The rest are just hope.

Homeristic Fantasy? That's not a presumption? Then what would you call it?

If you were going to be intelligent about it, if you wanted to say anything, you would say they are unknowns. They aren't homeristic fantasy. Fasano has proven to be productive, and a hell of a blocker. Tony Moeaki has proven when healthy he has SKILLS. Those aren't homeristic fantasies. That's truth.

Mav
07-17-2013, 08:24 PM

That uh, is not a good sign I must admit.

Discuss Thrower
That could be fun... If you had the time.

I've simulated season at least five times by now.. Harden the fuck up.

R8RFAN

If you were going to be intelligent about it, if you wanted to say anything, you would say they are unknowns. They aren't homeristic fantasy. Fasano has proven to be productive, and a hell of a blocker. Tony Moeaki has proven when healthy he has SKILLS. Those aren't homeristic fantasies. That's truth.

If Moeaki was a gem they would not have brought in Boss last year

Rausch
07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
That uh, is not a good sign I must admit.

More recent statistics would be Gabbert's home record.

Which is total $#it.

And a very good sign...:evil:

Discuss Thrower
07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
More recent statistics would be Gabbert's home record.

Which is total $#it.

And a very good sign...:evil:

One way or another.. if KC can overcome statistical losing scenarios such as JAX, Dallas and at Buffalo then it's some sort of sign things aren't the same as they have been in twenty years.

Maybe.

BossChief
07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
If Moeaki was a gem they would not have brought in Boss last year

Most teams are adding second tight ends and unfortunately, Moeaki was coming off a lost year to a torn acl and has a long injury history. His knee was giving him trouble this offseason, too...hence the Fasano signing and the drafting of Kelce with a high pick.

Rausch
07-17-2013, 08:38 PM
One way or another.. if KC can overcome statistical losing scenarios such as JAX, Dallas and at Buffalo then it's some sort of sign things aren't the same as they have been in twenty years.

Maybe.

If Gailey was still HC I wouldn't even both considering the outcome. I'd be a loss. He's not though and they have next to nothing at QB.

Dallas is so inconsistent it wouldn't shock me to hear they lost or beat anyone.

Jax is a flaming pile of $3it. No area of this team scares me.

Dallas probably should beat us. The other two don't bother me so much...

Mav
07-17-2013, 08:42 PM

that's a good thing. I came up with the Chiefs at 11-5, but then again, I had them only losing to the Broncos at Denver in the division, and well, history doesn't typically go that way.

Mav
07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
If Gailey was still HC I wouldn't even both considering the outcome. I'd be a loss. He's not though and they have next to nothing at QB.

Dallas is so inconsistent it wouldn't shock me to hear they lost or beat anyone.

Jax is a flaming pile of $3it. No area of this team scares me.

Dallas probably should beat us. The other two don't bother me so much...

Dallas, is a terrible road team. Dallas, still has an awful offensive line, and Dallas still has a qb that will shit his pants any time his team has to have a play. They are also transitioning to a bend but don't break defense.

The chiefs should beat them.....But, then again, the bi polar cowboys, could come out and blow the chiefs off the field. Not likely for a home opener though.

milkman
07-17-2013, 08:48 PM

I call it a fact.

Fasano is a solid player.
Moeaki has made one big play.

The rest are nothing more than unrealized potential at this point.

Until, and unless, any of them realize that potential, to call them playmakers is nothing more than fantasy.

Saccopoo
07-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Denver isn't going 2-6 on the road. Sac is severely underrating the Broncos. Severely.

No, I am not.

The Broncos defense is suspect at best, with the only marquee player being Von Miller. The linebacking corps are putrid, your CB's are old and your defensive line is a long list of nobodies (best being Derek Wolfe).

The offense is nice, but it's contingent upon a 38 year old QB with a now suspect arm and four neck surgeries. As well, the running back crew is basically the same guy - pedestrian speed, no lateral moves straight ahead runner. The offensive line is pretty darn good, especially the left side.

Manning is going to wear his arm completely out this season as you are going to see a lot of teams do what the Ravens did in the playoffs and force him deep by playing strong zone in the short to intermediate range.

Last year was a much an anomaly from a win-loss record as the Chiefs were. The Broncos benefitted from the easiest schedule in the league and teams still played back on Manning. That ain't happening this year and your defense is going to be forced to hold teams, especially on the road, and I don't think that they are capable of doing it.

10-6. And that's being generous.

Rausch
07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
that's a good thing. I came up with the Chiefs at 11-5, but then again, I had them only losing to the Broncos at Denver in the division, and well, history doesn't typically go that way.

I had us at 9-7.

I don't see us beating Denver (unless Manning is down) and those NFC games are tough to predict.

Rausch
07-17-2013, 08:59 PM
The chiefs should beat them.....But, then again, the bi polar cowboys, could come out and blow the chiefs off the field. Not likely for a home opener though.

The fact it's our home opener is the main reason I like our chances.

Pumped up crowd, new attacking defense, the team doesn't know the season is over yet...

Pasta Little Brioni
07-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Bucky Brooks ssys Denver is unbeatable ROFL

Mav
07-18-2013, 06:04 AM
I call it a fact.

Until, and unless, any of them realize that potential, to call them playmakers is nothing more than fantasy.

oh, you mean like an unknown? lol

Mav
07-18-2013, 06:05 AM

Pumped up crowd, new attacking defense, the team doesn't know the season is over yet...

well, I agreed with the most of it, but, I doubt that any chiefs player would think if they were 2-0 that their season would be anywhere near over haha.

BlackHelicopters
07-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Dallas, is a terrible road team. Dallas, still has an awful offensive line, and Dallas still has a qb that will shit his pants any time his team has to have a play. They are also transitioning to a bend but don't break defense.

The Buffalo Bills love this post.

ptlyon
07-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Yeah just like Atlanta last year

MagicHef
07-18-2013, 08:22 AM
No, I am not.

The Broncos defense is suspect at best, with the only marquee player being Von Miller. The linebacking corps are putrid, your CB's are old and your defensive line is a long list of nobodies (best being Derek Wolfe).

The offense is nice, but it's contingent upon a 38 year old QB with a now suspect arm and four neck surgeries. As well, the running back crew is basically the same guy - pedestrian speed, no lateral moves straight ahead runner. The offensive line is pretty darn good, especially the left side.

Manning is going to wear his arm completely out this season as you are going to see a lot of teams do what the Ravens did in the playoffs and force him deep by playing strong zone in the short to intermediate range.

Last year was a much an anomaly from a win-loss record as the Chiefs were. The Broncos benefitted from the easiest schedule in the league and teams still played back on Manning. That ain't happening this year and your defense is going to be forced to hold teams, especially on the road, and I don't think that they are capable of doing it.

I'm impressed by the amount of wrong you managed to pack into a relatively short post.

117 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 3 interceptions from our WLB and 18.5 sacks from our SLB doesn't seem putrid to me.

Our CBs are old? Name 2 old corners on the Broncos.

Our DL had 10 sacks (outside of Doom) last year, and played extremely well against the run. I don't care if you know their names, they're playing well.

Manning thrived on the deep ball all season long. Baltimore's defensive plan was to take away everything deep and make Peyton dink and dunk down the field. It worked, too. Peyton threw 43 passes, and only 2 of them were over 20 yards.

Denver did not have the easiest schedule in the league, Atlanta did. In fact, Denver's schedule (25th) was not much easier than KC's (23rd).

Pasta Little Brioni
07-18-2013, 08:51 AM
The fact is they had a losing record against quality opponents and shit their pants in the playoffs. They made their bones by picking on the sisters of the poor in the AFC West. No hiding from that.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2013, 10:13 AM
The fact is they had a losing record against quality opponents and shit their pants in the playoffs. They made their bones by picking on the sisters of the poor in the AFC West. No hiding from that.

They lost in a double OT thanks to some nice bombs and poor coverage... the losses to the great teams came early. It happens.

It's not like they lost to a team like the Jags in 96.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm impressed by the amount of wrong you managed to pack into a relatively short post.

117 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 3 interceptions from our WLB and 18.5 sacks from our SLB doesn't seem putrid to me.

Our CBs are old? Name 2 old corners on the Broncos.

Our DL had 10 sacks (outside of Doom) last year, and played extremely well against the run. I don't care if you know their names, they're playing well.

Manning thrived on the deep ball all season long. Baltimore's defensive plan was to take away everything deep and make Peyton dink and dunk down the field. It worked, too. Peyton threw 43 passes, and only 2 of them were over 20 yards.

Denver did not have the easiest schedule in the league, Atlanta did. In fact, Denver's schedule (25th) was not much easier than KC's (23rd).

I do think Champ is a liability at times deep, that's hard to argue otherwise.

MagicHef
07-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I do think Champ is a liability at times deep, that's hard to argue otherwise.

He got toasted twice in the playoffs, but I don't remember it happening in the regular season. Did it?

Chris Meck
07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I call it a fact.

we're all projecting based on something. With the younger players, it's potential.

Chris Meck
07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
No, I am not.

I look for their defense to really struggle. The loss of Dumervil will make Miller less effective. The secondary is suspect, and will struggle to cover speed receivers deep, especially with a diminished pass rush.
I think the signing of Welker will help Manning some as I do think his arm is diminished, but I don't think it's going to be enough.

Ace Gunner
07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
it would be so fucking awesome if the chiefs were in the hunt mid season and peyton broke down at arrowhead -- it might be enough to break the curse -- the indy curse

MagicHef
07-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I look for their defense to really struggle. The loss of Dumervil will make Miller less effective. The secondary is suspect, and will struggle to cover speed receivers deep, especially with a diminished pass rush.
I think the signing of Welker will help Manning some as I do think his arm is diminished, but I don't think it's going to be enough.

Please explain why the secondary is suspect.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
He got toasted twice in the playoffs, but I don't remember it happening in the regular season. Did it?

I wouldn't say it's a horrible problem, but teams aren't exactly afraid to throw that direction as much as they used to be... he's still very good, but he has slipped a bit.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Please explain why the secondary is suspect.

I view 'suspect' as being maybe not as 'consistently dominant' as one might hope for from a team with SB aspirations. Upside is very nice though.

R8RFAN
07-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Most teams are adding second tight ends and unfortunately, Moeaki was coming off a lost year to a torn acl and has a long injury history. His knee was giving him trouble this offseason, too...hence the Fasano signing and the drafting of Kelce with a high pick.

Still better than what we have right now though... Jus sayin

Fat Elvis
07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I call it a fact.

You can't say that Fasano is a solid player and Moeaki isn't; well you can since Moeaki is often injured, but statwise, Moeaki is a better player that goes beyond that one spectacular play. He is also a solid blocker. Will he be on the team? I don't know.

I think the term "potential playmakers" may be better than what I had originally use for clarification purposes. They will be the players who Reid will try to get the ball in their hands and make plays. Our previous regime and QB had zero idea of how to do that. Give them the opportunity and they will, in all likelihood, be much better players than their former stats would suggest.

Mav
07-18-2013, 12:33 PM
You can't say that Fasano is a solid player and Moeaki isn't; well you can since Moeaki is often injured, but statwise, Moeaki is a better player that goes beyond that one spectacular play. He is also a solid blocker. Will he be on the team? I don't know.

I think the term "potential playmakers" may be better than what I had originally use for clarification purposes. They will be the players who Reid will try to get the ball in their hands and make plays. Our previous regime and QB had zero idea of how to do that. Give them the opportunity and they will, in all likelihood, be much better players than their former stats would suggest.

That was my entire premise, and problem with the entire Homeristic Fantasy comment. Your qb has never had a problem with finding his tight end, no matter who it was. Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Celek, hell even when they had Justin Peele. The tight ends, should be what people are looking at. Especially Kelce. I loved that kid in college. The Chiefs got a STEAL.

MagicHef
07-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I view 'suspect' as being maybe not as 'consistently dominant' as one might hope for from a team with SB aspirations. Upside is very nice though.

I could agree with that definition of suspect.

I don't think that's what he meant, though, because he lists that as one of two reasons that he expects the defense to really struggle.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2013, 03:51 PM
I could agree with that definition of suspect.

I don't think that's what he meant, though, because he lists that as one of two reasons that he expects the defense to really struggle.

Yeah, who knows... Denver's defense is far from elite and while statistically they finished strong and ranked high last year, this is 2013. I don't care about last year. I have some concerns - they won't suck, but we need them to be consistently top 10 every week.

R8RFAN
07-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah, who knows... Denver's defense is far from elite and while statistically they finished strong and ranked high last year, this is 2013. I don't care about last year. I have some concerns - they won't suck, but we need them to be consistently top 10 every week.

Still laughing at that Dumervil Snafu

J Diddy
07-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Still laughing at that Dumervil Snafu
It's about as bad as ooopsing and releasing your 3rd round pick because someone was drinking too heavy (You can call me Al)

Sorter
07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
It's about as bad as ooopsing and releasing your 3rd round pick because someone was drinking too heavy (You can call me Al)

A man walks down the street

MagicHef
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM

I don't understand. You are trying to make a determination on how good they will be, but you don't want to look at what they did last year? What are you looking at?

O.city
07-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Just get ready Bronco assfaces, there's a storm a brewing.

RunKC
07-19-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't understand. You are trying to make a determination on how good they will be, but you don't want to look at what they did last year? What are you looking at?

Doom leaving is going to hurt the Broncos more than their fans realize. He helped that defense a lot.

Took attention away from Von, helped supply a good pass rush to help the back end look good and helped players like Wolfe get sacks by pushing the QB up in the pocket consistently.

RunKC
07-19-2013, 04:38 PM
That Denver secondary was exposed in the playoffs. Von and Doom were essentially useless the whole game. They didn't lay a hand on Flacco and look at what happened.

Quesadilla Joe
07-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Yeah keep trying to convince yourselves that the Broncos are frauds... But don't be surprised when we have our third straight division title wrapped up by week 8.

MagicHef
07-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Doom leaving is going to hurt the Broncos more than their fans realize. He helped that defense a lot.

Took attention away from Von, helped supply a good pass rush to help the back end look good and helped players like Wolfe get sacks by pushing the QB up in the pocket consistently.

Very true. Not having a threat opposite Von would seriously hamper the success the defense had last season. I'm not sure if having someone that is a truly great pass rusher will be necessary, or if someone lesser can at least force the blocking scheme to account for them enough to give Von some space. I'm hoping that Phillips can at least fill the second role.

Between Wolfe, Knighton, and Sylvester Williams, it seems that they are really focusing on interior pass rush, which I am excited about.

I still like our defense more than KC's.

MagicHef
07-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah keep trying to convince yourselves that the Broncos are frauds... But don't be surprised when we have our third straight division title wrapped up by week 8.

I don't think that's even possible.

Quesadilla Joe
07-21-2013, 04:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_23701351/chiefs-could-cause-broncos-some-trouble-this-season?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Paige: Chiefs could cause Broncos some trouble this season

The angst among Broncomaniacs is unwarranted. The appropriate suspensions of two Broncos executives as a result of their irrational and reckless actions will have no effect on the team's chances of winning the AFC West or the Super Bowl.

The Kansas City Chiefs will, though.

The Chiefs aren't red-naped sapsuckers any more.

In a casual offseason conversation, I asked John Fox about the unique challenge of confronting his former offensive and defensive coordinators in four of the Broncos' 16 games.

His response: "Andy Reid is a great coach, and the Chiefs have a lot more talent than people might realize, and they added (quarterback Alex) Smith."

Fox is quite familiar with Reid and the Chiefs' players.

He coached six of the Chiefs at the Pro Bowl. Fox was matched against Reid in an NFC championship game; they share the same agent; the two have traveled to Afghanistan and Germany to visit American troops; and they discussed working together with the Eagles before the Broncos hired Fox.

Reid and Fox were fired after 4-12 and 2-14 seasons, but returned, and will face off twice in 2013 ... and probably in years beyond.

The two crusty football lifers (Fox is 58, Reid 55) approach training camp openings in Colorado and Missouri this week with a combined 25 seasons — 430 games — of NFL head coaching experience.

Based on their opponents' winning percentage in 2012 (43 percent), the Broncos supposedly have the league's easiest schedule. However, five teams were in the playoffs. And the Broncos' schedule wouldn't look so unproblematic if the Chiefs' 2-14 season wasn't included — twice.

"That wasn't a 2-14 team when we scouted them, then coached them in Hawaii," Fox told me.

And the coach always chortles about the "easy schedule" idea. "Teams change so much every year." The Broncos have won six straight AFC West road games and were 6-0 against the Chiefs, the Chargers and the Raiders last

season. "That hasn't happened here since the last Super Bowl year (1998)," Fox said. "You certainly can't expect that."

The Broncos have at least nine extremely difficult games (Fox would claim 16). One is a hat foreboding ice-storm kind of December Sunday in K.C.

But, you mock, the Broncos went all Orange squash on the Chiefs in the last regular-season game. Yes, but the score was 17-9 in Kansas City in Week 12.

Look at what the Chiefs got now:

Reid brought nine of his Eagles coaches to the Chiefs, so there won't be coaching disorganization. The new coach also hired Chris Ault and Brad Childress as consultants. Ault conceived the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-type offense — "The Pistol" — at the University of Nevada. And Childress, a former Vikings coach, has the title of "spread offense analyst."

Reid has informed his players that the new offense "will light up the scoreboard."

It was a dark and stormy scoreboard in 2013. The Chiefs averaged a league-low 13.2 points.

Eric Bieniemy, who landed in Kansas City as the running backs coach, has 1,500-yard rusher Jamaal Charles, not three redshirt CU tailbacks.

Smith's addition isn't comparable to the Chiefs' one-time acquisition of another 49ers quarterback — Joe Montana. But he's an improvement over Matt Cassel and the two former Broncos who masquerade as quarterbacks — Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn.

Smith led the 49ers to the NFC title game two years ago and had a 104.1 QB rating in 2012 when he was injured, and lost his starting job.

The Chiefs also possessed the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, and bypassed the glamour positions for right tackle Eric Fisher, who will pair with Branden Albert. The left tackle was franchise-tagged. (Sound familiar?)

The Chiefs cleaned out Arrowhead Stadium and lured in John Dorsey from the Packers as general manager and Reid. They also signed a half-dozen veteran free agents and re-signed wide receiver Dwayne Bowe. Their free-agent grade was considered an A, and the consensus on the team's draft was a B. Four Pro Bowlers are back on defense.

Contemplate the Chiefs' schedule (rated the league's fifth-easiest). They do have the Broncos twice — and Dennis Allen's Raiders and the Chargers of Mike McCoy.

The schedules of the Broncos and the Chiefs offer two major differences. Each plays Philly (Reid's old Eagles), Jacksonville, Washington, Indy, Houston, Dallas, the Giants and Tennessee.

The Broncos also play the 10-6 Ravens (remember them?) and the 12-4 Patriots and starting tight end Tim Tebow (remember him?).

The Chiefs play the 5-11 Browns and the 6-10 Bills.

The Broncos could win 11 games this season.

So could the Chiefs.

Fox and Reid might meet again in the postseason.

The angst among Bronco- noids is warranted.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
07-21-2013, 04:17 PM
3Q

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Anyone who thinks the division is a cakewalk is a fucking moron. He is right.