PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Could Cause Broncos Trouble This Year:Paige

vailpass
07-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Paige: Chiefs could cause Broncos some trouble this season

Posted: 07/21/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

First-year Chiefs coach Andy Reid is a proven winner in the NFL and has a strong K.C. staff. (David Eulitt, The Kansas City Star)

The angst among Bronco- maniacs is unwarranted. The appropriate suspensions of two Broncos executives as a result of their irrational and reckless actions will have no effect on the team's chances of winning the AFC West or the Super Bowl.

The Kansas City Chiefs will, though.

The Chiefs aren't red-naped sapsuckers any more.

In a casual offseason conversation, I asked John Fox about the unique challenge of confronting his former offensive and defensive coordinators in four of the Broncos' 16 games.

His response: "Andy Reid is a great coach, and the Chiefs have a lot more talent than people might realize, and they added (quarterback Alex) Smith."

Fox is quite familiar with Reid and the Chiefs' players.

He coached six of the Chiefs at the Pro Bowl. Fox was matched against Reid in an NFC championship game; they share the same agent; the two have traveled to Afghanistan and Germany to visit American troops; and they discussed working together with the Eagles before the Broncos hired Fox.

Reid and Fox were fired after 4-12 and 2-14 seasons, but returned, and will face off twice in 2013 ... and probably in years beyond.

The two crusty football lifers (Fox is 58, Reid 55) approach training camp openings in Colorado and Missouri this week with a combined 25 seasons — 430 games — of NFL head coaching experience.

Based on their opponents' winning percentage in 2012 (43 percent), the Broncos supposedly have the league's easiest schedule. However, five teams were in the playoffs. And the Broncos' schedule wouldn't look so unproblematic if the Chiefs' 2-14 season wasn't included — twice.

"That wasn't a 2-14 team when we scouted them, then coached them in Hawaii," Fox told me.

And the coach always chortles about the "easy schedule" idea. "Teams change so much every year." The Broncos have won six straight AFC West road games and were 6-0 against the Chiefs, the Chargers and the Raiders last season. "That hasn't happened here since the last Super Bowl year (1998)," Fox said. "You certainly can't expect that."

The Broncos have at least nine extremely difficult games (Fox would claim 16). One is a hat foreboding ice-storm kind of December Sunday in K.C.

But, you mock, the Broncos went all Orange squash on the Chiefs in the last regular-season game. Yes, but the score was 17-9 in Kansas City in Week 12.

Look at what the Chiefs got now:

Reid brought nine of his Eagles coaches to the Chiefs, so there won't be coaching disorganization. The new coach also hired Chris Ault and Brad Childress as consultants. Ault conceived the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-type offense — "The Pistol" — at the University of Nevada. And Childress, a former Vikings coach, has the title of "spread offense analyst."

Reid has informed his players that the new offense "will light up the scoreboard."

It was a dark and stormy scoreboard in 2013. The Chiefs averaged a league-low 13.2 points.

Eric Bieniemy, who landed in Kansas City as the running backs coach, has 1,500-yard rusher Jamaal Charles, not three redshirt CU tailbacks.

Smith's addition isn't comparable to the Chiefs' one-time acquisition of another 49ers quarterback — Joe Montana. But he's an improvement over Matt Cassel and the two former Broncos who masquerade as quarterbacks — Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn.

Smith led the 49ers to the NFC title game two years ago and had a 104.1 QB rating in 2012 when he was injured, and lost his starting job.

The Chiefs also possessed the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, and bypassed the glamour positions for right tackle Eric Fisher, who will pair with Branden Albert. The left tackle was franchise-tagged. (Sound familiar?)

The Chiefs cleaned out Arrowhead Stadium and lured in John Dorsey from the Packers as general manager and Reid. They also signed a half-dozen veteran free agents and re-signed wide receiver Dwayne Bowe. Their free-agent grade was considered an A, and the consensus on the team's draft was a B. Four Pro Bowlers are back on defense.

Contemplate the Chiefs' schedule (rated the league's fifth-easiest). They do have the Broncos twice — and Dennis Allen's Raiders and the Chargers of Mike McCoy.

The schedules of the Broncos and the Chiefs offer two major differences. Each plays Philly (Reid's old Eagles), Jacksonville, Washington, Indy, Houston, Dallas, the Giants and Tennessee.

The Broncos also play the 10-6 Ravens (remember them?) and the 12-4 Patriots and starting tight end Tim Tebow (remember him?).

The Chiefs play the 5-11 Browns and the 6-10 Bills.

The Broncos could win 11 games this season.

So could the Chiefs.

Fox and Reid might meet again in the postseason.

The angst among Bronco- noids is warranted.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095, wpaige@denverpost.com or twitter.com/woodypaige

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_23701351/chiefs-could-cause-broncos-some-trouble-this-season

Hammock Parties
07-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Yeah we might have a lead against them at some point.

notorious
07-21-2013, 07:36 AM
We'll see.

The Chiefs have been losers for years. It's going to take a lot for me to become a believer again.

BlackHelicopters
07-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Paige, though a clown, makes some valid points. History shows us half of last years playoff teams will not make the playoffs this year. Reid knows how to win. The solitary question remains: Is Alex Smith the guy to help Reid win? I am skeptical, but optimistic. The town will erupt for a winner.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
If Charles gets hurt we're done !

LoneWolf
07-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Denver is one neckbone injury away from being 4-12. If Manning stays healthy they should have no difficulty winning the division. IMO, KC's ceiling this season is 9-7.

Rausch
07-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Paige, though a clown, makes some valid points. History shows us half of last years playoff teams will not make the playoffs this year. Reid knows how to win. The solitary question remains: Is Alex Smith the guy to help Reid win? I am skeptical, but optimistic. The town will erupt for a winner.

I think the team is starting to believe.

The most essential element to turning things around is the first 3 games. Two of the 3 are patsy teams playoff teams soundly beat with our biggest test being our home opener.

If we can go 2-1 or better there's a chance you'll see Phat Andy and his Hulu happy shirt fighting agents with one hand in a subway...

Mr_Tomahawk
07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
But Romeo is the only one who an stop Peyton...

/cp

BlackHelicopters
07-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I think the team is starting to believe.

The most essential element to turning things around is the first 3 games. Two of the 3 are patsy teams playoff teams soundly beat with our biggest test being our home opener.

If we can go 2-1 or better there's a chance you'll see Phat Andy and his Hulu happy shirt fighting agents with one hand in a subway...

The real question: Could Reid beat Ditka in Death Cage Match?

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Woody Paige is an idiot.

Sincerely,

ChiefsPlanet

Oh, wait, he said something complementary about the Chiefs?

Woody Paige is one of the best in the business.

Sincerely,

ChiefsPlanet

vailpass
07-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Woody Paige is an idiot.

Sincerely,

ChiefsPlanet

Sincerely,

ChiefsPlanet
Hah! i have a sort of funny story involving an encounter with Woody but it sounds like bullshit even though it's true.

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 08:23 AM
If Charles gets hurt we're done !

Why would you even say anything like that?

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Woody Paige is an idiot.

Sincerely,

ChiefsPlanet

Sincerely,

ChiefsPlanet

Paige is still an idiot.

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Hah! i have a sort of funny story involving an encounter with Woody but it sounds like bullshit even though it's true.

I'm listening......

FlaChief58
07-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Why would you even say anything like that?

Too much hog sperm :shrug:

BlackHelicopters
07-21-2013, 09:25 AM
I once peed next to Jerry Tarkanian at Municipal in KC. True story.

vailpass
07-21-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm listening......
When in grad school in Denver we'd go to happy hour at Brown palace hotel. I spotted a hotty at the bar, went up and threw my game. We ended up leaving together, the guy she was sitting next to said"wait, I have a really nice place upstairs I thought you wanted to see it". She said no thanks, changed my mind.
That guy was Woody Paige.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 09:49 AM
They'll get there chances, and we shall see what happens. The Broncos should be damn good though being realistic.

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 09:56 AM
When in grad school in Denver we'd go to happy hour at Brown palace hotel. I spotted a hotty at the bar, went up and threw my game. We ended up leaving together, the guy she was sitting next to said"wait, I have a really nice place upstairs I thought you wanted to see it". She said no thanks, changed my mind.

The best he had was his really nice place. I am so not surprised. Congrats on ruining that obnoxious annoying bafoon's night.

Dave Lane
07-21-2013, 10:26 AM

It's only because you have a 12" dick amirite?

vailpass
07-21-2013, 10:37 AM
It's only because you have a 12" dick amirite?

I know it sounds like bullshit, said so from the start.

vailpass
07-21-2013, 10:41 AM
The best he had was his really nice place. I am so not surprised. Congrats on ruining that obnoxious annoying bafoon's night.

Yep, he was playing the big timer card. He had been hitting on her for an hour, buying her the famous brown palace martinis. I was 20 years younger than him and my game was in full swing then. Didn't even know who he was till she told me.Laughed my as off. Banged that hot little thing for the next year until she left for med school.

Coogs
07-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I once peed next to Jerry Tarkanian at Municipal in KC. True story.

I don't see this having the "Hall of Classics" potential that the "I showered next to Danyelle Sargent" thread had from a few years back.

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Yep, he was playing the big timer card. He had been hitting on her for an hour, buying her the famous brown palace martinis. I was 20 years younger than him and my game was in full swing then. Didn't even know who he was till she told me.Laughed my as off. Banged that hot little thing for the next year until she left for med school.

:thumb:

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't see this having the "Hall of Classics" potential that the "I showered next to Danyelle Sargent" thread had from a few years back.

I had forgotten about that one. LMAO

Coogs
07-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I had forgotten about that one. LMAO

That was one of the best. Can't remember who wrote that one, and IIRC the thread has been deleted due to a request from Danyelle.

Mav
07-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Paige is still an idiot.

While his points in this article are spot on. He is still and idiot......

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
That was one of the best. Can't remember who wrote that one, and IIRC the thread has been deleted due to a request from Danyelle.

Really? Didn't realize she visited the board. I don't recall who it was either.

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
While his points in this article are spot on. He is still and idiot......

You can be right about something and still be an idiot.

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM

GuntherFan.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164440&page=2&highlight=Danyelle+Sargent

OrtonsPiercedTaint
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Nobody under 65 buys newspapers anymore, Woody knows this.

Eleazar
07-21-2013, 11:41 AM
the Chiefs probably become an 8-8 team just by changing the coaching staff and adding Alex Smith. Any more than that is going to take time.

the Broncos will go as far as their quarterbacking takes them. I don't see the Chiefs as being a threat to the Broncos this year. The only thing that can stop them is Manning.

Line Judge
07-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Bob Gretz ranked the top player for each AFC West team by position. There were many more Bronkos ranked first that any other team. Unfortunately Denver will wind up on top.

Rain Man
07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Bob Gretz ranked the top player for each AFC West team by position. There were many more Bronkos ranked first that any other team. Unfortunately Denver will wind up on top.

He still hasn't apologized to us for calling us names.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Could?

BlackHelicopters
07-21-2013, 04:59 PM
More vodka, please.

Lex Luthor
07-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah we might have a lead against them at some point.

You really should just change your name to WHINEY BITCH WHO HATES THE CHIEFS AND IS STARTING TO PISS OFF EVERYONE.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 05:05 PM
It would not be crazy to beat them at Arrowhead. Like I said before they will get their shots. Houston and Hali can generate some serious heat, and the secondary should at least be ok. I am also not down on Smith as much as most people here. Hell, even if Fisher can play well this year that helps with Charles, and could create some time to move it in the air. Do I think we can beat them, not sure. Maybe once if things go just right. There are a lot of other games than the head to head Broncos matchup also.

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
You really should just change your name to WHINEY BITCH WHO HATES THE CHIEFS AND IS STARTING TO PISS OFF EVERYONE.

While we're making suggestions, you should find some thicker skin.

Mile High Mania
07-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Could?

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty big leap too...

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty big leap too...

Keep telling yourself that.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Apparently your estrogen levels are rising significantly as you age.

Have you looked into testosterone therapy?

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Axiron-ad.png

Raiderhater
07-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Apparently your estrogen levels are rising significantly as you age.

Have you looked into testosterone therapy?

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Axiron-ad.png

That's funny coming from the individual who bitches constantly about this team.

Molitoth
07-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Peyton Manning vs Alex Smith....

lol

CoMoChief
07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
It all depends on Manning.

If his play remains superb....or even a 85% Manning to be quite honest, the Chiefs will be in trouble. I don't see Smith outplaying Manning even at Arrowhead. That's really what it all boils down to. Our talent across the board except at WR (but again, insert Manning factor) is much better than Denver's. Thomas and Decker wouldn't be shit without Manning. Welker is a great player though, either way it's going to be extremely tough trying to stop that passing attack with those 3 weapons. And God help us if they actually learn how to run the football.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 06:12 PM

If his play remains superb....or even a 85% Manning to be quite honest, the Chiefs will be in trouble. I don't see Smith outplaying Manning even at Arrowhead. That's really what it all boils down to. Our talent across the board except at WR (but again, insert Manning factor) is much better than Denver's. Thomas and Decker wouldn't be shit without Manning. Welker is a great player though, either way it's going to be extremely tough trying to stop that passing attack with those 3 weapons. And God help us if they actually learn how to run the football.

I agree with hoping someone like Ball doesn't tear it up. I do disagree about Decker and Thomas. I think we would take either, especially Thomas with his potential.

Eleazar
07-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Gunther fan, Equalizer, etc. I remember that one!

Mile High Mania
07-21-2013, 06:59 PM

A lot does ride on Manning - obviously, but many around here talk as if KC was a QB away from total greatness. Denver's WRs > KC's WRs with or without Manning. Denver's TEs are better as well.

Warrior5
07-21-2013, 07:02 PM

Seems like a good place for my obligatory "Piss on Denver".

Anyong Bluth
07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
JFC, of course they can win at Arrowhead. Bet on it- unlikely, but this squad is not devoid of talent. I would hope people wouldn't be ready to write off this season even before training camp has started.

Can anyone tell me where we are in a worse position than last year at any position???

aturnis
07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
A lot does ride on Manning - obviously, but many around here talk as if KC was a QB away from total greatness. Denver's WRs > KC's WRs with or without Manning. Denver's TEs are better as well.

You are delusional about those TE's bruh.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 07:31 PM
the Chiefs probably become an 8-8 team just by changing the coaching staff and adding Alex Smith.

Doubtful, considering their schedule.

Additionally, quite a few are expecting a lot of a 2-14 team, especially one with no competent 3/5 tech, a NT who is still incredibly raw, no 3rd OLB, a journeyman and/or a rookie at ILB, a NCB who has been plagued with injuries and concussions, no real options at the dime thus requiring us to likely play Berry up in the box as he has during the Crennel years in his 2-3-6, a FS who is likely to be beaten out by another 5th round pick who is converting from corner, a laughable WR corp sans Bowe, an untested and injury prone backfield sans 1 player, and starting 3 players at new positions on the OL (Stephenson:LG, Allen:C, and Fisher:RT).

Also, you're going to be counting on a combo of Davis, Gray, and Droughn as your backfield protection given Reid's personnel packages in 3/4WR alignments. That sounds incredibly promising.

Line Judge
07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Sorter is right on. We are getting too hyped up with media speculation.

DTLB58
07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Peyton Manning vs Alex Smith....

lol

Remember that's what most people said before the Smith beat Drew Bree's in a playoff game also.

I agree, Peyton is by far the better player and has had the better career. But, if you only got one game to win...Coaching, scheme, turnovers a long bomb on a mis- played ball by a DB can all have an affect. :doh!:

Plus, we know Peyton is good at choking away Post season games. After all, he lost in the biggest one of all to the guy Smith beat.

DTLB58
07-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Doubtful, considering their schedule.

Additionally, quite a few are expecting a lot of a 2-14 team, especially one with no competent 3/5 tech, a NT who is still incredibly raw, no 3rd OLB, a journeyman and/or a rookie at ILB, a NCB who has been plagued with injuries and concussions, no real options at the dime thus requiring us to likely play Berry up in the box as he has during the Crennel years in his 2-3-6, a FS who is likely to be beaten out by another 5th round pick who is converting from corner, a laughable WR corp sans Bowe, an untested and injury prone backfield sans 1 player, and starting 3 players at new positions on the OL (Stephenson:LG, Allen:C, and Fisher:RT).

Also, you're going to be counting on a combo of Davis, Gray, and Droughn as your backfield protection given Reid's personnel packages in 3/4WR alignments. That sounds incredibly promising.

Tons of teams have questions similar to these heading into TC every year.
And they work through them and competent coaching staffs find guys and coach them up. If not, how is it that we have so many different teams in the post season every year and so many worst to first? You don't think all them previous last place teams had as many ?'s as the Chiefs do? Probably more!
Btw, Gray is a hell of a RB.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Tons of teams have questions similar to these heading into TC every year.
And they work through them and competent coaching staffs find guys and coach them up. If not, how is it that we have so many different teams in the post season every year and so many worst to first? You don't think all them previous last place teams had as many ?'s as the Chiefs do? Probably more!
Btw, Gray is a hell of a RB.

I'll answer your questions in order.

1. Parity.
2. It's probably similar, that's why they are last place teams.

As to your comments, I kinda like Cyrus. Just like, a tiny bit. It doesn't mean that he's instantly developed pass blocking skills over OTAs. Additionally, learning the terminology as far as M/S/SSF protection philosophies (as an example) varies in most West Coast variants in relation to nomenclature, design, and responsibilities.

CoMoChief
07-21-2013, 07:58 PM

5 Pro-bowlers (6 including Colquitt) on a 2-14 team that played musical chairs at QB all season? Everyone and their mom knows what this team is missing.

Albert, Bowe, Flowers are all Pro-Bowl caliber players as well, that don't get the name recognition they deserve. That's 8 Pro-Bowlers, 9 if you want to count the punter.

This team w/ Manning goes 14-2 and nobody touches them throughout a HFA playoff road at Arrowhead.

Shit this team goes at least 12-4 with ****ing Philip Rivers.

Thomas wasn't shit before Manning arrived. When Manning leaves via retirement or Hali/Houston, you'll see...he'll come back down to earth. 20 catches his rookie season (fart noise).....30 his sophomore season (fart noise - Orange Mane starts using the "bust" word)....2012 enter Manning factor......90 catches 1400 yds 10TD's.

I'll agree w/ TE's for the moment. Our's are always ****ing injured. We'll see how Kelce turns out and whether or not Moeaki comes back 100%...doubt it though...Chiefs are kinda looking like they're ready to move on without him, he may get cut after camp if he can't come back....can't make the club in the tub type of deal. I just hope Anthony Fasano isn't our primary option at that position because that would be bad. He sucks and I hate the signing regardless of "how well" he run blocks. I'd rather see Demetrius Harris try and make it.

MahiMike
07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I know how we can beat Manning. We're gonna break his Freakin' neck!

CoMoChief

They're better than ours....what do we exactly have to show for at TE? Denver's aren't great by any means, but at least they've produced on the field.

Fasano sucks

Kelce is a rookie

Moeaki can't stay healthy....ever, and hasn't looked the same since the 2011 knee injury.

Demetrius Harris although an intriguing prospect w/ tons of athletic ability, that's all he is at this point, all while being an undrafted FA rookie who may in fact not even make the 53-man roster.

Mav
JFC, of course they can win at Arrowhead. Bet on it- unlikely, but this squad is not devoid of talent. I would hope people wouldn't be ready to write off this season even before training camp has started.

Can anyone tell me where we are in a worse position than last year at any position???

Oh, ask Clay, he can tell you.....

Sorter
07-21-2013, 08:12 PM
If not, how is it that we have so many different teams in the post season every year and so many worst to first?

Additionally:

2012 Participants
AFC:
Ravens, Pats, Texans, Broncos, Bengals, Colts
NFC: 49ers, Flacons, Seahwaks, Redskins, Packers, Vikings

2011:
AFC:
Ravens, Pats, Texans, Bengals, Broncos, Steelers
NFC: Giants, 49ers, Saints, Packers, Falcons, Lions

2010:
AFC:
Pats, Steelers, Jets, Colts, Ravens, Chiefs
NFC: Saints, Seahawks, Falcons, Packers, Eagles, Bears

2009:
AFC:
Bengals, Jets, Ravens, Colts, Pats, Chargers
NFC:
Eagles, Cowboys, Vikings, Saints, Arizona, Packers

2008:
AFC:
Ravens, Colts, Miami, Titans, Chargers, Pittsburgh
NFC:
Cardinals, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Panthers, Vikings

I only went back to 2008 but there's definitely a similar cast of characters participating the playoffs repeatedly.

Mav
07-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Sorter, I think especially in the AFC, that cast of characters could change drastically this year. The only division that I think is a lock to have the same Division champ, is the Afc West. The Dolphins could challenge the Pats, the Bengals can challenge the Ravens, and the Colts can challenge the Texans....

That's all very possible. But your point is solid none the less.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 08:17 PM

They all just hate Alex. There were people on here ready to smoke pole over Cassel at the time. It wasn't that bad of a choice to get get AS to me. No team seemed to have QB very high on the draft board, did these guys want Manuel at 1? Everybody else got skipped over and he lasted til 16. Smith can play now. If they can make a push for the wildcard, anything can happen. Fuck tanking it for Bridgewater or Clowney.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh, ask Clay, he can tell you.....

I don't think they've gotten worse at positions.

I think they made lateral moves when moves with immediate or more potential were available. Of course, this isn't taking into account how this organization values different positions, which might and probably does differ from my own viewpoint (example being valuing Kniles Davis over Rambo, etc).

Really, it's the lack of an interior rusher and any real stability at WR that worries me. Additionally, the unreliability at both safety positions (I'm presuming Berry will be moved up in the same alignment on subs as Romeo did, however, he'll be utilized differently, especially in regards to blitzes with stunt philosophies) and at NCB are concerning.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Sorter, I think especially in the AFC, that cast of characters could change drastically this year. The only division that I think is a lock to have the same Division champ, is the Afc West. The Dolphins could challenge the Pats, the Bengals can challenge the Ravens, and the Colts can challenge the Texans....

That's all very possible. But your point is solid none the less.

I'm thinking this right now. Bear with me.

AFCE: Pats
W: Donks
N: Ravens
S: Colts

WC: Texans, Bengals/Pittsburgh

I could see Miami challenging but I haven't watched that team since their game against Indy last year and am in no position to really speculate as to their success. Texans and Indy are going to be in a fun battle for the division, and the AFCN retains it crown as the most competitive and physical division in the AFC. Really wouldn't surprise me to see the order of the AFCN in any variation of the top 3.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 08:22 PM
They all just hate Alex. There were people on here ready to smoke pole over Cassel at the time. It wasn't that bad of a choice to get get AS to me. No team seemed to have QB very high on the draft board, did these guys want Manuel at 1? Everybody else got skipped over and he lasted til 16. Smith can play now. If they can make a push for the wildcard, anything can happen. **** tanking it for Bridgewater or Clowney.

The philosophical question: If E.J. Manuel is good enough for the Bills at 1.16, why isn't he good enough for the Chiefs at 1.1?

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Buffalo has done exactly what several of us wanted the Chiefs to do.

Feel free to pick up a stop gap, but pick up a guy with future potential along with him.

MMXcalibur
07-21-2013, 08:36 PM
More garbage from the Denver Post.
The Broncos are going to steamroll the AFC West and everyone knows it. Nobody at Mile High or anybody wearing shitty Bronco orange is afraid of Kansas City, San Diego, or Oakland.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 08:38 PM
The philosophical question: If E.J. Manuel is good enough for the Bills at 1.16, why isn't he good enough for the Chiefs at 1.1?

If he turns out to be great, then it would have been fine. You know what they say about hindsight. The Chiefs got pinned in a year where there was no knockout QB and nobody to trade with. It's just the truth. Fisher will play, Manuel, Geno and the rest will most likely sit all year.

Mav
07-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking this right now. Bear with me.

AFCE: Pats
W: Donks
N: Ravens
S: Colts

WC: Texans, Bengals/Pittsburgh

I could see Miami challenging but I haven't watched that team since their game against Indy last year and am in no position to really speculate as to their success. Texans and Indy are going to be in a fun battle for the division, and the AFCN retains it crown as the most competitive and physical division in the AFC. Really wouldn't surprise me to see the order of the AFCN in any variation of the top 3.

I don't think that Pittsburgh is going to do anything this year. They are far too old, and have done far too little to replace what they have lost. I think they are going to be lucky to stay out of the Cellar. I think the AFC North, is the Bengals, and then the Ravens, but I think too, the Ravens are going to be extremely lucky to win 10 games.

Donks yes, they are pretty much a lock for 13-14 wins unless manning gets hurt, and I agree completely on the Colts. They are going to run away with that division. I am not sure what to think of the Texans. If Andre Johnson gets hurt, they are in for a long season I believe. Plus you don't know how Cushing is going to come back.

With Miami, I like you, don't really know how its going to go, but they added a lot of pieces, and I really like their coaching. Adding Mike Wallace is going to help them quite a bit, also adding Dustin Keller will be huge for them. But, learning to win is hard. But, I guess my thought with the Dolphins is that the Patriots have lost so much on offense, even the Great Tom Brady may struggle. Especially if Gronk, or Amendola get hurt.

So I believe it goes,

Pats,
Bengals,
Colts,
Donks,

With the Chiefs, Ravens, Texans, and Dolphins fighting for the last two playoff spots. The Ravens schedule, is BRUTAL.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't think that Pittsburgh is going to do anything this year. They are far too old, and have done far too little to replace what they have lost. I think they are going to be lucky to stay out of the Cellar. I think the AFC North, is the Bengals, and then the Ravens, but I think too, the Ravens are going to be extremely lucky to win 10 games.

Donks yes, they are pretty much a lock for 13-14 wins unless manning gets hurt, and I agree completely on the Colts. They are going to run away with that division. I am not sure what to think of the Texans. If Andre Johnson gets hurt, they are in for a long season I believe. Plus you don't know how Cushing is going to come back.

With Miami, I like you, don't really know how its going to go, but they added a lot of pieces, and I really like their coaching. Adding Mike Wallace is going to help them quite a bit, also adding Dustin Keller will be huge for them. But, learning to win is hard. But, I guess my thought with the Dolphins is that the Patriots have lost so much on offense, even the Great Tom Brady may struggle. Especially if Gronk, or Amendola get hurt.

So I believe it goes,

Pats,
Bengals,
Colts,
Donks,

With the Chiefs, Ravens, Texans, and Dolphins fighting for the last two playoff spots. The Ravens schedule, is BRUTAL.

I pretty much agree. If Dalton can play fairly well, and the D really is as good as some thing it might be, the Bengals will be tough. I still would flip spots on Houston and Indy though, but good stuff.

Garcia Bronco
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
I honestly expect you D to fall off a bit, but you won't notice because your offense will be vastly improved. 3 seasons from now I see the offense being the best in the west with the defense sliding way down. Its just who your coach is imo. Should be an interesting season. Barring injury I think the Donks will be in good shape.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 09:33 PM
If he turns out to be great, then it would have been fine. You know what they say about hindsight. The Chiefs got pinned in a year where there was no knockout QB and nobody to trade with. It's just the truth. Fisher will play, Manuel, Geno and the rest will most likely sit all year.

Do you need a "knockout" though?

Was Flacco a knockout? Rogers? Was Cam Newton, with all of his personal warts coming out considered a clear-cut knockout?

Mr. Laz
07-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Reid could lose 150 pounds and be ready for an Ironman Triathlon too but don't blow smoke ... show me.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 09:38 PM

So I believe it goes,

Pats,
Bengals,
Colts,
Donks,

Fair enough. I like the pieces Pitt added defensively in Thomas and Jones but agree they are getting a bit long in the tooth. I think the Bengals have one of the more complete rosters in the NFL and Baltimore was able to add some nice players to fill needs.

I like Hopkins for Houston, if he keeps his excrement out of bathtubs/floors.

Miami also did some nice things but are probably too young to really compete for the division right now with Tannehill.

Holy shit, I sound like Gruden. I like everybody.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 09:43 PM

While some might disagree, with valid reasons (Dane, iirc), I would have been more than happy using 1.1 on Manuel, Geno, or Barkley and keeping Alex Smith for the compensation provided.

I'm of the belief that you can never have enough QBs. Stockpile them and draft them often because you never know A) When you'll need one, B) When one might turn into something special, and C)When you can rip someone off royally ala Kevin Kolb or to a lesser extent, trick teams into thinking he's competent and make a conference/divisional player think they've got something special (Matt Flynn).

Saccopoo
07-21-2013, 09:48 PM

Probably because he's completely erratic in his passes in a game situation and his ability to take over a game with his arm. The guy off the field and on the field are two different guys. He was pretty pedestrian this past season at Florida State and they really leaned on a stacked defense versus his arm.

The Bills were desperate and most likely pulled a major reach with Manuel due to his post season workouts. (Despite the fact that he wasn't the best QB at the combine.)

I think that the Bills pissed away a high pick versus getting a QBOTF. Time will tell though.

And Dorsey, Reid and Co. seemed to be pretty thorough in terms of talent evaluations this off-season from both a free agent and college player perspective. They obviously felt that Smith offered a better potential than the available free agents (most of whom had some ties to either Reid or Dorsey) or what was there in the draft.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 09:53 PM
And Dorsey, Reid and Co. seemed to be pretty thorough in terms of talent evaluations this off-season from both a free agent and college player perspective. They obviously felt that Smith offered a better potential than the available free agents (most of whom had some ties to either Reid or Dorsey) or what was there in the draft.

I have no problem with this, despite my different opinions.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-21-2013, 09:58 PM
I hate Denver.

MotherfuckerJones
07-21-2013, 10:13 PM
While some might disagree, with valid reasons (Dane, iirc), I would have been more than happy using 1.1 on Manuel, Geno, or Barkley and keeping Alex Smith for the compensation provided.

I'm of the belief that you can never have enough QBs. Stockpile them and draft them often because you never know A) When you'll need one, B) When one might turn into something special, and C)When you can rip someone off royally ala Kevin Kolb or to a lesser extent, trick teams into thinking he's competent and make a conference/divisional player think they've got something special (Matt Flynn).

I was on the EJ Manuel bandwagon. I got ripped for it, but I was on it.

Consistent1
07-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Probably because he's completely erratic in his passes in a game situation and his ability to take over a game with his arm. The guy off the field and on the field are two different guys. He was pretty pedestrian this past season at Florida State and they really leaned on a stacked defense versus his arm.

The Bills were desperate and most likely pulled a major reach with Manuel due to his post season workouts. (Despite the fact that he wasn't the best QB at the combine.)

I think that the Bills pissed away a high pick versus getting a QBOTF. Time will tell though.

You can't say that here, Geno Smith will be All-Pro for 15 years straight starting this fall. Alex Smith was a better bet than any of these guys they had a chance to get. Like you said, I think they reached on Manuel and got a back-up. Who knows? You can argue Dion Jordan, Milliner, etc until your mouth turns blue, but they pretty much did what they had to do. Somebody will jump in soon and say Tavon Austin would be a better pick than Fisher.

Sorter
07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
You can't say that here, Geno Smith will be All-Pro for 15 years straight starting this fall. Alex Smith was a better bet than any of these guys they had a chance to get. Like you said, I think they reached on Manuel and got a back-up. Who knows? You can argue Dion Jordan, Milliner, etc until your mouth turns blue, but they pretty much did what they had to do. Somebody will jump in soon and say Tavon Austin would be a better pick than Fisher.

Given what Andy Reid was able to do with DeSean Jackson, it very well could have been.

Mile High Mania
07-21-2013, 10:29 PM

Where's your proof?

Chiefs Pantalones
07-21-2013, 10:30 PM
The only way we cause the Broncos trouble is if Alex Smith plays like Aaron Rodgers.

TEX
07-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Whatever.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-21-2013, 10:36 PM
You know what some ho's might do this year? Get slapped.

TEX
07-21-2013, 10:41 PM

So I believe it goes,

Pats,
Bengals,
Colts,
Donks,

IMO, the Colts will be lucky to make the playoffs. In any case, they certainly will not "run away with that division." Teams who had a winning record but were outscored in the same season usually fall flat on their faces the next year. I'm betting that happens to the Colts this season. They will not sneak up on anyone.

Pats
Bengals
Texans
Donx

WC - KC and Baltimore

Mav
07-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Fair enough. I like the pieces Pitt added defensively in Thomas and Jones but agree they are getting a bit long in the tooth. I think the Bengals have one of the more complete rosters in the NFL and Baltimore was able to add some nice players to fill needs.

I like Hopkins for Houston, if he keeps his excrement out of bathtubs/floors.

Miami also did some nice things but are probably too young to really compete for the division right now with Tannehill.

Holy shit, I sound like Gruden. I like everybody.

Its that time of the season, TO like everyone. lol. Don't worry, in the next 12 weeks, we can all look like idiots hahahaha.

Mav
07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
The only way we cause the Broncos trouble is if Alex Smith plays like Aaron Rodgers.
This, well, I was going to say incorrect, but, I think its a little off base. There are few teams in the league right now, that are going to be able to stand up and go toe to toe with the Broncos offensively. IF your idea that to beat the broncos, you are going to outscore them like its an arena game, well, that's just ridiculous. What the Chiefs can do, is keep the ball away from Peyton Manning, and rely on the run game, and special teams to make sure the Broncos have a long field, and don't have the ball that often. There are very few teams who are going to be able to score as many points as the Broncos. But, The chiefs, can run the ball, and I believe at least on paper, that the Chiefs defense is better than the Broncos defense. Aaron Rodgers even with his weapons around him, would have a VERY hard time keeping up with the Broncos. Mainly because the packers defense blows.
IMO, the Colts will be lucky to make the playoffs. In any case, they certainly will not "run away with that division." Teams who had a winning record but were outscored in the same season usually fall flat on their faces the next year. I'm betting that happens to the Colts this season. They will not sneak up on anyone.

Pats
Bengals
Texans
Donx

WC - KC and Baltimore

Fair enough. I respect it. But, with as much youth as they had on the Colts offense last year, with the way that Bruce Arians was forced to run the whole team instead of just teaching Andrew Luck, and they were still able to do what they did? Now he has Pep Hamilton, who was with him at Stanford, adding Ahmad Bradshaw, Darius Heyward Bey as a deep threat, and his tight ends being more experienced, and the defense having pieces that aren't necessarily better, because well, Freeney is a hall of famer, but he was getting old, and definitely not a fit in the 3-4, the Colts are going to be better than last year. Not worse in my opinion. Of course, if you think I love Alex Smith, you should see my man crush on Andrew Luck.

Halfcan
07-22-2013, 12:15 PM

You lost Elvis and now Von for 4 games at the very least- they were pretty much your defense.

I really don't see how the cheatin donks will stop KC's ground game. We have a history of running all over you and this year will be no different. That is how you beat Mangina- keep him on the bench while we expose and ground your D into dust.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Additionally:

2012 Participants
AFC:
Ravens, Pats, Texans, Broncos, Bengals, Colts
NFC: 49ers, Flacons, Seahwaks, Redskins, Packers, Vikings

2011:
AFC:
Ravens, Pats, Texans, Bengals, Broncos, Steelers
NFC: Giants, 49ers, Saints, Packers, Falcons, Lions

2010:
AFC:
Pats, Steelers, Jets, Colts, Ravens, Chiefs
NFC: Saints, Seahawks, Falcons, Packers, Eagles, Bears

2009:
AFC:
Bengals, Jets, Ravens, Colts, Pats, Chargers
NFC:
Eagles, Cowboys, Vikings, Saints, Arizona, Packers

2008:
AFC:
Ravens, Colts, Miami, Titans, Chargers, Pittsburgh
NFC:
Cardinals, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Panthers, Vikings

I only went back to 2008 but there's definitely a similar cast of characters participating the playoffs repeatedly.

There have been 4-6 new playoff teams every year for the past 2 decsdes.