PDA

View Full Version : Science Hypnosis

rico
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
What is your stance on hypnosis?

Do you believe in it? Are you skeptic? Have you had any personal experiences with it? Have you heard entertaining/interesting stories of other peoples' experiences with it? Do you know the science associated with it?

What are your thoughts? If you have any, share them!

* My personal thoughts: I WAS skeptical of hypnosis my whole life until a couple months ago. I heard stories, had seen shows, etc., but always thought there was a catch and had always thought the shows were staged. HOWEVER, a couple months ago, my wife and I were married in Vegas. One night we attended a hypnosis show called "Marc Savard Comedy Hypnosis." It was literally one of the funniest experiences of my life and it literally changed my outlook on hypnosis from being a skeptic, to thinking that it is a very real, interesting, entertaining and potentially hilarious phenomenon. My wife and I were actually participants on the show. I didn't last long (for I didn't become hypnotized), but my wife did and it was absolutely hilarious. The highlight of my entire Vegas trip (with an exception of getting married).

For those of you who are interested and have time to kill (like an hour to hour and a half or so), here are the youtube videos of the show in which my wife and I were participants. The show is funny as hell. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which participants my wife and I are and I will probably get razzed about my wife's behavior on the show, but I don't care...I thought it was hilarious.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KjIGlTPYHEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KW7cgCRNJck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rasputin
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
It only works if you let it work. Doesn't work on people who don't believe it or wont allow it with their mind.

Iowanian
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I was a skeptic.

I've seen a friend get zonked at a comedy show in college and he wouldn't have gone along with the stuff if it didn't work.

I've also seen self-hypnosis techniques used as pain management tools for terminally ill or severely injured kids. I've also seen it used as a very effective pain management technique in child birth, well enough that doctors and nurses would comment in amazement.

Stewie
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
It works. I know of at least one instance of a crime being solved after putting a witness under hypnosis. They took him back to re-live the moment he saw the getaway truck and was able to see the license plate number.

Chief Roundup
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
I believe in it. But it is more like self induced programming.

rico
07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
It only works if you let it work. Doesn't work on people who don't believe it or wont allow it with their mind.

It didn't work on me and I genuinely tried to make it work. I think the deal with me was that I was a bit uncomfortable being in front of a crowd. Haha, I was the first one dismissed for not being hypnotized.

I researched hypnosis a bit further when I got home and saw this youtube video of this old hypnotist explaining the process of hypnosis and retorted the belief that some people are "too smart" to be hypnotized by claiming, "that's not true, for if you are able to be hypnotized, it actually proves that your are SMARTER than people who aren't able to be hypnotized because you are more inclined to following suggestions." I looked at the screen and was like, "fuck you, old balls!!!"

rico
07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
I was a skeptic.

I've seen a friend get zonked at a comedy show in college and he wouldn't have gone along with the stuff if it didn't work.

I've also seen self-hypnosis techniques used as pain management tools for terminally ill or severely injured kids. I've also seen it used as a very effective pain management technique in child birth, well enough that doctors and nurses would comment in amazement.

This is why I am no longer a skeptic...my wife wouldn't have acted the way she did or have been able to keep a straight face if she hadn't been hypnotized. Not to mention, she doesn't know how to do the river dance, but when hypnotized, she was able to pull the river dance off PERFECTLY. I literally couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

I've seen those youtube online self-hypnosis videor...they kind of scare me a bit...one of my 16 year old brother's friends told me that they do it all the time by themselves at their house. That sounds like an incredibly bad idea to me.

BlackHelicopters
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Ambien causes self hypnosis. Give it a try.

rico
07-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Ambien causes self hypnosis. Give it a try.

I have a friend who takes Ambien and purposely fights off the sleep-inducing effects with intentions of "tripping out" on it. She has issues, I think.

BlackHelicopters
07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I have a friend who takes Ambien and purposely fights off the sleep-inducing effects with intentions of "tripping out" on it. She has issues, I think.

My GF shaved " herself" one night. Did not remember it.

Bowser
07-30-2013, 11:27 AM

PIIHB, then marry

Fish
07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Never believed it. The fact that it only works on some people and such... sounds like bullshit. Someone tried to hypnotize me once, and it was just silly...

Donger
07-30-2013, 11:29 AM
No.

Rain Man
07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
This thread is making you sleepy. Very sleepy. Verrrrrry sleeeeeepy.

hometeam
07-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Hypnosis.

Total bullshit.

Prove me wrong. Hypnotize me~

ptlyon
07-30-2013, 11:41 AM
This thread is making you sleepy. Very sleepy. Verrrrrry sleeeeeepy.

:ZZZ:

Rain Man
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
:ZZZ:

Now post like you're Todd Blackledge just finding this site.

ptlyon
07-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Sorry RM, I got Nothin.

But one interesting NFL stat he had was he won more than he lost. 15-14.

Canofbier
07-30-2013, 12:29 PM
I went to a show once where a hypnotist planted it in some guy's subconscious that he couldn't leave the room until someone gave him a nickel. As everyone was funneling out after the show was over, he just stood next to the door looking confused, much to everyone else's amusement.

Fish
07-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I went to a show once where a hypnotist planted it in some guy's subconscious that he couldn't leave the room until someone gave him a nickel. As everyone was funneling out after the show was over, he just stood next to the door looking confused, much to everyone else's amusement.

Ohh my gosh did he stand there until he died of dehydration or did somebody give him a nickel? Don't leave us hanging...

Radar Chief
07-30-2013, 12:46 PM
No.

For Mrs. Radar’s company Christmas party one year they brought in a hypnotist and it was actually a very good show. Mrs. Radar was even selected to get up on stage and get hypnotized with the others. He had them do a few silly things, Mrs. Radar said later that she knew what she was doing but couldn’t help herself but to do what he said.
Until it came to the part when he told everyone to sit on the floor, as soon as he did I laughed and told everyone at the table, “I don’t care how hypnotized Mrs. Radar is you’re not going to get her to purposely dirty her dress.” And she didn’t, she looked at the floor around her shook her head no and sat in her chair for the rest of the show.

trndobrd
07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Cluck cluck cluck, Bwaaak!

rageeumr
07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
I've gone up on stage twice for a hypnotist and it didn't work on me either time. One of the times the guy was very attentive and quickly dismissed people who obviously weren't going under.

I think the other guy was probably a complete fraud because he didn't pull anybody off. I basically just walked off stage because I wasn't going to sit up there and do stupid shit just because. A couple of my buddies failed to follow my lead and just faked through the whole thing.

So I'm 0/2 and I don't know anyone who has successfully gone under.

bowener
07-30-2013, 01:07 PM
I didn't realize people didn't believe in hypnotism.

Iowanian
07-30-2013, 01:14 PM
I went on a stage the same time my friend did and it did nothing for me.

One way it was explained to me that made sense...If you drive a lot or for long distances, you essentially zone and go on auto-pilot and it feels like you blink and it's 3hrs and 400 miles later. Supposedly the dashed centerlines or the windshield wipers will do it.

The pain management thing was described to me more of a deep relaxation/focus...it's not like the swirley eyed zombie hypnosis from cartoons. From what I've seen, it takes some practice and focus but it was very effective from what I witnessed. I know the same techniques are taught at some children's hospitals to help burn victims and kids doing Chemo and other dreadful things to help them deal with that, and it works.

rico
07-30-2013, 01:18 PM
PIIHB, then marry

LMAO, Ironically, her name is Mary.

ThaVirus
07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Your wife plays the air guitar like a champ.

rico
07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Your wife plays the air guitar like a champ.

Lmao, my favorite thing(s) about that part is when she burst out of her seat to play it. And then when she was told to play it with her ass, she did this little "shimmy" thing. And when asked to play it backwards, she moved the air guitar behind her back. :), She would have NEVER been able to pull that stuff off if she weren't really hypnotized...especially with a straight face.

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I just watched this how the other day. I have no idea how real it was. The one guy that they ended up picking to "assassinate" a guy sat in an ice cold tub of water for 2 minutes and didn't show any signs of feeling it. Normal heart rate and breathing and such. For all I know it could have been 80 degree water though and the whole thing staged.

http://www.hitfix.com/starr-raving/brainwashed-tries-to-create-a-real-life-manchurian-candidate-assassin

ThaVirus
07-30-2013, 01:34 PM
People out there can do incredible things and it is really almost ridiculous the power that the mind has..

I wouldn't doubt that its possible.

rico
07-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I just watched this how the other day. I have no idea how real it was. The one guy that they ended up picking to "assassinate" a guy sat in an ice cold tub of water for 2 minutes and didn't show any signs of feeling it. Normal heart rate and breathing and such. For all I know it could have been 80 degree water though and the whole thing staged.

http://www.hitfix.com/starr-raving/brainwashed-tries-to-create-a-real-life-manchurian-candidate-assassin

That's crazy shit. After my experience at that show, I'm not skeptical of it.

Fish
07-30-2013, 01:36 PM
One thing that gets me about it... If it's possible and it's that easy, then why isn't hypnotism being used for ill will? That's always been a pretty decent proof test for crazy claims like hypnotism. If it's possible, somebody is going to abuse its use.

Why don't we have reports of people hypnotizing bank tellers and walking out with a cool million? Why does the government torture instead of just hypnotizing terrorists? Why couldn't you just hypnotize that girl at the bar and take her home? There should be tons of uses for it outside of Vegas sideshows... I understand that some people try and use it for addiction and other things, but I've never heard of that actually working..

Dayze
07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't think I could be hypnotized.

Molitoth
07-30-2013, 02:13 PM
This guy is pretty funny.

kysirsoze
07-30-2013, 02:17 PM

But one interesting NFL stat he had was he won more than he lost. 15-14.

It worked!

Rain Man
07-30-2013, 02:40 PM
One thing that gets me about it... If it's possible and it's that easy, then why isn't hypnotism being used for ill will? That's always been a pretty decent proof test for crazy claims like hypnotism. If it's possible, somebody is going to abuse its use.

Why don't we have reports of people hypnotizing bank tellers and walking out with a cool million? Why does the government torture instead of just hypnotizing terrorists? Why couldn't you just hypnotize that girl at the bar and take her home? There should be tons of uses for it outside of Vegas sideshows... I understand that some people try and use it for addiction and other things, but I've never heard of that actually working..

My impression is that you have to be a willing participant for it to work. I'm not sure that involuntary hypnosis works.

Now, I guess you could voluntarily hypnotize a bank teller for smoking or something and then add at the end that they'll help you rob a bank. Hmm...(scribbling notes).

I had a former boss once who couldn't quit smoking, and he finally did hypnosis training. He said it worked like a charm. It seems like there's something to it that's substantive.

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Why don't we have reports of people hypnotizing bank tellers and walking out with a cool million? Why does the government torture instead of just hypnotizing terrorists? <B> Why couldn't you just hypnotize that girl at the bar and take her home? </B> There should be tons of uses for it outside of Vegas sideshows... I understand that some people try and use it for addiction and other things, but I've never heard of that actually working..

We need someone here to test this out.

"Now when I snap my fingers we are going to go to your house and you are going to let me PIITB"

rico
07-30-2013, 02:59 PM

I have had similar thoughts pertaining to hypnosis. I personally don't get it.

This guy is pretty funny.

The Savard guy in the vids I posted? If so, I agree. If any of you go to Vegas, I would highly recommend catching his show.

Radar Chief
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
My impression is that you have to be a willing participant for it to work. I'm not sure that involuntary hypnosis works.

Now, I guess you could voluntarily hypnotize a bank teller for smoking or something and then add at the end that they'll help you rob a bank. Hmm...(scribbling notes).

I had a former boss once who couldn't quit smoking, and he finally did hypnosis training. He said it worked like a charm. It seems like there's something to it that's substantive.

Right, and that’s what the hypnotist told us before the show.
Mrs. Radar went along with the show because she was compelled too but also because it was funny and harmless. When it came down to something she was opposed to, like getting her dress dirty, she wouldn’t do it.

Easy 6
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
At what time do you two show up rico? I dont want to watch all 21 minutes.

Dont think it would work on me either, pretty well convinced i have a mental wall that wouldnt allow it.

rico
07-30-2013, 04:28 PM
At what time do you two show up rico? I dont want to watch all 21 minutes.

Dont think it would work on me either, pretty well convinced i have a mental wall that wouldnt allow it.

I show up roughly a couple minutes into it on video one. I am a bulky guy with brown hair and a grey shirt who sat in the front row the entire time I was on it. My wife was a bit loose/drunk and went out of her way to tell the host (Savard) that we had just gotten married. In video one, she also asked him if hypnosis would make her play the guitar.

I am only in a fraction of part 2. I was the first one eliminated...sitting in front row.

My wife, at the beginning of part two, was playing the flute, but then switched to a guitar.

She is introduced by Savard as a final participant at 8:38 in part 2.

In part 2, 11:54, Savard gets the participants to believe they are in freezing climate and my wife and this other attractive girl try to get underneath this real nerdy guy's clothes to keep warm (funny shit).

In part 2, 22:28, my wife (and the others) river dance. She did this PERFECTLY, although in reality, she can NOT pull this off.

In part 2, 36:35, he has her CONVINCED that this belt that he wraps around her neck is a poisonous snake.

In Part 2, 44:08 she pole dances, thinking that she is trying out to be a stripper. I was all nervous at that point, hoping that she didn't do anything crazy like take off her clothes, but she didn't. Was close to being a good ol' butt-hurt, raged out hubby in the audience. All went well though because the dude emphasized it being a "public" place.

In part 2, 54:42, she is interviewed prior to the conclusion, which was a "lollipop licking contest."

In part 2, 57:45, she is "snapped" out of hypnosis and confused as hell.

Earthling
07-30-2013, 04:37 PM
I got in trouble as a kid for trying out hypnosis on my sister. I think I about had her under when mom came in and freaked all out. Probably ruined what could have been a budding career...

bogey
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
I tried it to quit smoking several years ago. $200 per session, 2 sessions. I wanted it to work, but I didn't really believe it would. It didn't work. I don't think it helped that the hypnotist seemed like a goof ball. Maybe if I had had more respect for the hypnotist it would have worked.

Fish
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I tried it to quit smoking several years ago. $200 per session, 2 sessions. I wanted it to work, but I didn't really believe it would. It didn't work. I don't think it helped that the hypnotist seemed like a goof ball. Maybe if I had had more respect for the hypnotist it would have worked.

You gave some goofy dude $400 to hypnotize you? Seriously?

rico
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM

That seems to be a consistency amongst many hypnotists that I've noticed online. A lot of them seem nuttier than squirrel turds.

Iowanian
07-30-2013, 04:51 PM
You should have slipped that guy $20 and given him some "honeymoon suggestions" to imprint on her brain for the weekend. Just saying.

Discuss Thrower
07-30-2013, 04:57 PM
You should have slipped that guy $20 and given him some "honeymoon suggestions" to imprint on her brain for the weekend. Just saying.

This-this-this-this-THIS.

Cannibal
07-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Not real.

bogey
07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
You gave some goofy dude $400 to hypnotize you? Seriously?

I know.

bogey
07-30-2013, 05:28 PM
That seems to be a consistency amongst many hypnotists that I've noticed online. A lot of them seem nuttier than squirrel turds.

Kinda stuck in the 70's goofy.

tmax63
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Was a bouncer at a Comedy Club one time as a part time job. Hypnotist came about 3 times a year and would use us once in a while during the show. Took a guy that was average but ripped 5'8" 170lbs I'd guess and told him he was rigid as a board. I and the other bouncer tipped him flat and put his head on the seat of 1 chair and his heels on another chair where he was a bridge. He was like that for 5-10 minutes and for the Grand Finale the hypnotist (probably 150lbs) stood on the guy's stomach for a few seconds then stepped off. Another instance during his adult shows was he'd tell the females that he had "magic fingers" and every time he touched his nose they'd have an orgasm. At the end of the show he'd tell the ladies with significant others that their spouses would have magic fingers for 24 hours post-trance. He did that for one of the waitresses and her man and they verified that it worked.
Key thing, per the hypnotist, is you will not do anything while under that you wouldn't do awake.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Only works on the weak minded or emotionally troubled.

rico
07-31-2013, 04:40 AM

I would have if I had needed to. :)

Only works on the weak minded or emotionally troubled.

Lol, that's an interesting take. :) I wish I could find the video of this old guy who claimed via 2 minute rant that people who are able to be hypnotized are more intelligent people because they follow suggestions better. I was all pissed off when I watched that, due to me not even coming close to being hypnotized on the show. I like your logic better. :)

Ace Gunner
07-31-2013, 05:03 AM
sleep. it only works if you believe.

Baby Lee
07-31-2013, 05:31 AM
People need to realize what hypnosis is and what it isn't.

It is using cadence to induce a state of heightened awareness and heightened amenability to suggestion.

In a sense it is a step-sibling of transcendental meditation.

I find myself in a strange demographic. I am utterly immune to hypnosis by others, but have learned effective techniques in self-hypnosis to de-stress and refresh. Basically focusing body part by body part and 'willing' stress or pain out of said part, kind of like wringing a washrag or furling a mat.

The self-hypnosis I can experience beneficially is mainly hyper concentration and visualization. Hypnosis by others I can't offer first hand information on, but it is limited to things the hypnosee would otherwise be amenable to.

07-31-2013, 05:52 AM
I can't be hypnotized either. Wish I could so they could make me a more social person.

mdchiefsfan
07-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks for sharing, rico. What was your wife's reaction to the video? That had to be a classic moment.

Gonzo
07-31-2013, 07:18 AM
It works. I know of at least one instance of a crime being solved after putting a witness under hypnosis. They took him back to re-live the moment he saw the getaway truck and was able to see the license plate number.

LMAO
That was an episode of Quincy. You were high again.

rico
07-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for sharing, rico. What was your wife's reaction to the video? That had to be a classic moment.

She was nervous the entire time and constantly asking, "omg, did everyone think I was stupid?" Which I had to repeatedly reassure her, "no, people thought you were hilarious." She was laughing hysterically simultaneously...especially during the air guitar, freezing cold temperature and trying to get warm under dorky guy's shirt, the snake part and the pole-dancer tryout.

Fish
07-31-2013, 09:29 AM
I know.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to make fun of you or anything. I just had no idea that they could charge so much for something that is pretty shady and has no guarantee of working..

rico
07-31-2013, 09:35 AM
What about these online/youtube, self-hypnosis and these people who do them at home, by themselves? Doesn't this lead to something occurring that is potentially....catastrophic??

mdchiefsfan
07-31-2013, 09:35 AM
She was nervous the entire time and constantly asking, "omg, did everyone think I was stupid?" Which I had to repeatedly reassure her, "no, people thought you were hilarious." She was laughing hysterically simultaneously...especially during the air guitar, freezing cold temperature and trying to get warm under dorky guy's shirt, the snake part and the pole-dancer tryout.

That is awesome, man. LMAO The snake part and the freezing cold part had me cracking up.

rico
07-31-2013, 09:45 AM
That is awesome, man. LMAO The snake part and the freezing cold part had me cracking up.

LMAO, me too! And the fact that the Savard guy asked the nerdy dude she was trying to keep warm with what he was doing because she just got married and all he said was, "congratulations." That was probably the hardest I laughed throughout the entire show...that and when she burst off her chair to play the air guitar...it's just so uncharacteristic of her to be able to do that without cracking a smile...not to mention, she hates "Rob Zombie-esque" music. I also laughed my ass off at the pole dancer tryout although I was nervous as hell and was getting ready to jump on stage any second if she started taking her clothes off. :)

mdchiefsfan
07-31-2013, 10:06 AM
LMAO, me too! And the fact that the Savard guy asked the nerdy dude she was trying to keep warm with what he was doing because she just got married and all he said was, "congratulations." That was probably the hardest I laughed throughout the entire show...that and when she burst off her chair to play the air guitar...it's just so uncharacteristic of her to be able to do that without cracking a smile...not to mention, she hates "Rob Zombie-esque" music. I also laughed my ass off at the pole dancer tryout although I was nervous as hell and was getting ready to jump on stage any second if she started taking her clothes off. :)

Yea I felt awkward for you there. You just never know, but at least the guy kept reminding them that they were in public. I really want to go see this now. Cool stuff.

rico
07-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Yea I felt awkward for you there. You just never know, but at least the guy kept reminding them that they were in public. I really want to go see this now. Cool stuff.

Yeah, that's the main reason why I people refrained from taking their clothes off, IMO. What sucked, was the fact that I was so caught up in the moment that I didn't even hear him say that at the time. :)

Pasta Little Brioni
07-31-2013, 10:22 AM
"rico, breath slowly, close your eyes, and count to 10. When I snap my fingers you will awake and only post in short, summarized sentences." *snap*