PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL makes changes to Pro Bowl

The Franchise
07-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 34m

NFL eliminated traditional AFC-NFC Pro Bowl matchup; will be replaced with Pro-Bowl fantasy-like draft, per ESPN sources

Now players will be assigned to teams through the Pro Bowl Draft (really). Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will be draft captains.

No more kickoffs in Pro Bowl. Rosters will consist of 43 players per squad. Game will be played Jan 26 in Honolulu.

TEX
07-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Sounds pretty dumb.

Fat Elvis
07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
That could actually be kind of cool. Certainly beats what they've done in the past.

Fat Elvis
07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Instead of Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders as the drafters, they should have a leaguewide draft party that selects the players. Players giving players props. If Rice and Sanders are drafting, they will draft whoever ESPN says is best for demographics rather than who had the best talent/year.

allen_kcCard
07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Imagine the angst when a player picked by Deon blows up a player on their own NFL team that was picked by Rice. Just had an image of Von Smokey breaking both of someone's legs.

Bugeater
07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Just get rid of the damn thing.

FlaChief58
07-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Changes nothing for me. I still wont watch

Tribal Warfare
07-31-2013, 12:15 PM
at least it'll be on my Birthday

Bowser
07-31-2013, 12:15 PM

http://ebengregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Deion.gif

BossChief
07-31-2013, 12:17 PM
So Sanders and Rice decide who makes the probowl and who doesn't?

CrazyPhuD
07-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Is it going to be flag or two hand touch?

Pasta Little Brioni
07-31-2013, 12:20 PM
That sounds dumb as fuck. JFC just announce the players and skip the game. Half the guys don't make the trip anyway watering down actually making a Pro Bowl.

RealSNR
07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Garbage. It's fun to watch Shaq and Barkley do this with NBA rookies and young players, but in football this will suck dick.

The Franchise
07-31-2013, 12:22 PM
So Sanders and Rice decide who makes the probowl and who doesn't?

No...I think the voting still picks the players...and then Rice/Sanders draft from that pool of players. I could be wrong though.

CrazyPhuD
07-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Can Deon and Jerry draft and then play the game on Madden instead? It would likely be more exciting than the current format...plus the injury risk would be limited to sore thumbs and broken joysticks.

Garcia Bronco
07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
So much change every year coming out of this league from rules to the Pro Bowl.

CrazyPhuD
07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
No...I think the voting still picks the players...and then Rice/Sanders draft from that pool of players. I could be wrong though.

I wonder if one of them will try to be a dick and horde all the QBs or RBs or CBs or some other position? I mean it would be funny to see Peyton Manning line up to kick a FG.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-31-2013, 12:25 PM

...when none is needed. JFC the game was better before that POS Goodell stuck his nose in it.

Bwana
07-31-2013, 12:26 PM
I didn't think the pro bowl could get any worse, I was wrong.

ModSocks
07-31-2013, 12:29 PM

People say that, yet people still watch it. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that the NFL Pro Bowl was the #39th most watched event on T.V. The NFL pro Bowl beat out the Stanley Cup Finals for ratings, as well as Game 6 of the NBA championship.

cosmo20002
07-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 34m

NFL eliminated traditional AFC-NFC Pro Bowl matchup; will be replaced with Pro-Bowl fantasy-like draft, per ESPN sources

Now players will be assigned to teams through the Pro Bowl Draft (really). Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will be draft captains.

Pfft..will still be the same lame game.

Here's what they should do. Pick the rosters the same way they do now, whatever that is. Then, fans vote on what position each guy plays. Fat lineman--you're a RB now.

Phobia
07-31-2013, 01:22 PM
I still watch every single Pro Bowl. Bad football is better than no football at all.

Imon Yourside
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Well it's about time they changed it...wait..wha?

Friendo
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I haven't been a fan of the Pro Bowl since I was a kid...but that's what seems to get lost on fans & players alike--it is FOR the kids...always was so.

Rausch
07-31-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd prefer a skills challenge...

2bikemike
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't know if its just my misguided perception but, I look at a player and if it says they're a pro bowler I think, So What! Sometimes their selected after a couple other people fell out due to injury or whatever. Now the 2 top teams playing in the supebowl don't have representation in the Pro Bowl.

I mean Come On they put freaking Matt Cassel in the pro bowl. Maybe thats what screwed up up perception.

kysirsoze
07-31-2013, 01:41 PM
I'd prefer a skills challenge...

I've said this for years. Lower injury risk, but still competitive. Would be cool to see. Sprints, high jump, QB accuracy competitions... Watching the combine players do this kind of stuff was incredibly entertaining to me. I can only imagine how much cooler it would be if it were pro players.

Valiant
07-31-2013, 01:45 PM
I like my idea better of a division playoffs for just skills players. Best from each division notin the superbowl.

houstonwhodat
07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Yea Roger Goodell.

Should be Lingerie Football instead.

beer bacon
07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Since the Pro Bowl is never going to be taken seriously, stuff like this works. They need to turn in the whole thing into more a spectacle. I love the skills competitions they have sometimes during the off season. Do more stuff like that.

Dayze
07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
If I were a player making $$$ I wouldn't play in that shit. yeah, blow my knee out or someone roll up on me for a dumb ass exhibition.

Garcia Bronco
07-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Why don't they play a 5 on 5 team 7 day tourney in a racket ball court. That would be so much better. They could use a basketball

Dayze
07-31-2013, 02:38 PM
they should do things that are out of their comfort zone for competition

White guys could try to run fast and dunk basketballs, and the black guys could do diving or 100M freestyle.

Linemen on trampolines, or trapeze.

Kickers doing anything but kicking.

I'd watch that.

mikey23545
07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
The only thing more retarded than the idea in the OP are the ideas some of you are coming up with.

And why Sanders and Rice? Who the fuck died and made them God?

Goddam, this whole thread makes me want to kill a puppy.

Dayze
07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
The only thing more retarded than the idea in the OP are the ideas some of you are coming up with.

And why Sanders and Rice? Who the **** died and made them God?

Goddam, this whole thread makes me want to kill a puppy.

that could be an event for the kickers.

keg in kc
07-31-2013, 02:46 PM
The game already sucked dick, this might make it (meaning the event, if not the game) mildly interesting.

siberian khatru
07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
I guess there's market research that tells the NFL that Deion Sanders is a well-liked personality, which is why he keeps getting shoved down our throats. For me, though, I just don't get it. He does nothing for me.

Dayze
07-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Michael Irvin should be a coach on the sideline after snorting an 8-ball.

GoChargers
07-31-2013, 03:35 PM

And still it's a shitty scrimmage-quality "game" that nobody watches or cares about.

chefsos
07-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Wait...this is real?

I could swear I smelled Onion.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Yea Roger Goodell.

Should be Lingerie Football instead.
I realize this is going to be hard for your obsessed Goodell hating mind to comprehend, but Goodell didn't do this

The NFL was getting ready to cancel the Pro Bowl completely but the PLAYERS wanted to keep the free family trips to Hawaii so they came up with all this shit to try and keep their vacation time.

The Franchise
07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Voting for the game also will be changed, as conference affiliation no longer will be considered in determining the All-Star selections. The two leading vote-getters will be named captains and will be assisted by Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders and two NFL.com fantasy football champions in picking the two teams.

Among other changes:

• A two-minute warning will be added to the first and third quarters in addition to the traditional rule in the second and fourth quarters. Possession also will change hands after each quarter.

• Defenses will be allowed to play Cover 2 and press coverage. In the past, only man coverage had been allowed, except for goal-line situations.

• Changes will be made to the game clock during the two-minute warning, with the clock stopping if the offense doesn't gain at least 1 yard, in order to encourage offenses to try to gain yardage at the end of each quarter.

• In addition, the clock will start after an incomplete pass on the signal of the game referee except during the two-minute warnings and the final five minutes of the game.

• The game will use a 35-second/25-second play clock instead of the traditional 40-second/25-second clock.

• Also, the game clock will not stop on sacks of the quarterback, outside of the game's final two minutes.

The changes were proposed by NFL Players Association president Domonique Foxworth and were jointly announced Wednesday by the NFL and the union.

The Franchise
07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
And it sounds like it's not going to be like 3 AFC QBs and 3 NFC QBs. It's the best 6 QBs in the league regardless of conference. And that goes for every position.

Prison Bitch
07-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Didn't Castle make it one time? Lulz

MMXcalibur
07-31-2013, 04:21 PM
The All-Star draft is a big hit in the NHL, but the game isn't that much more intriguing.
I expect the same here.

The NFL is trying desperately, but this type of event just doesn't translate well.

Hydrae
07-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Voting for the game also will be changed, as conference affiliation no longer will be considered in determining the All-Star selections. The two leading vote-getters will be named captains and will be assisted by Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders and two NFL.com fantasy football champions in picking the two teams.

Among other changes:

• A two-minute warning will be added to the first and third quarters in addition to the traditional rule in the second and fourth quarters. Possession also will change hands after each quarter.

• Defenses will be allowed to play Cover 2 and press coverage. In the past, only man coverage had been allowed, except for goal-line situations.

• Changes will be made to the game clock during the two-minute warning, with the clock stopping if the offense doesn't gain at least 1 yard, in order to encourage offenses to try to gain yardage at the end of each quarter.

• In addition, the clock will start after an incomplete pass on the signal of the game referee except during the two-minute warnings and the final five minutes of the game.

• The game will use a 35-second/25-second play clock instead of the traditional 40-second/25-second clock.

• Also, the game clock will not stop on sacks of the quarterback, outside of the game's final two minutes.

The changes were proposed by NFL Players Association president Domonique Foxworth and were jointly announced Wednesday by the NFL and the union.

I like the bolded rule. They should do that during the regular season.

Eleazar
07-31-2013, 05:14 PM
I haven't watched a minute of the pro bowl since before I can last remember. This won't change that.

J Diddy
07-31-2013, 06:16 PM
I haven't watched a minute of the pro bowl since before I can last remember. This won't change that.

This times a million.

It got worse when they started playing it before the superbowl and removing the sb players from the team.

Rasputin
07-31-2013, 06:21 PM
Deion Sanders will make Leon Sandcastle his first pick.

BigRedChief
07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
The All-Star draft is a big hit in the NHL, but the game isn't that much more intriguing.
I expect the same here.

The NFL is trying desperately, but this type of event just doesn't translate well.Yep, It's not the NFL's fault. Nature of the beast. You can't go all out. Someone would get hurt. We would be pissed if someone took a shot at Charles and he got injured.

TribalElder
07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Why do they do stupid shit just to do it?

Just up the amount of money the winners get. Even better make the losers pay the winners. At least then it would be a game.

TimeForWasp
07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Garbage. It's fun to watch Shaq and Barkley do this with NBA rookies and young players, but in football this will suck dick.

You whine too much.

J Diddy
07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Deion Sanders will make Leon Sandcastle his first pick.

Good. I hope he plays and someone knocks out his voicebox.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-31-2013, 09:35 PM
This is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. So the fans, who already don't care about the game, no longer even get to vote for players?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-31-2013, 09:59 PM

This. It's fucking useless.

Rasputin
07-31-2013, 10:04 PM
This is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. So the fans, who already don't care about the game, no longer even get to vote for players?

There will be much more high stepping into the endzone by players this year. Anyone who high steps and shows off will be taken by Deion.

Imon Yourside
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
A two-minute warning will be added to the first and third quarters in addition to the traditional rule in the second and fourth quarters. Possession also will change hands after each quarter.

UMM....Punt with 20 seconds left?

Eleazar
07-31-2013, 10:51 PM

I don't think any fans really care about voting for pro bowlers/all stars anyway

AussieChiefsFan
08-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Should make it more intersting, for 1 year at least due to the novalty factor. I just wish they would make it after the Super Bowl. Although I guess then literally nobody would watch it then.

Rasputin
08-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Should make it more intersting, for 1 year at least due to the novalty factor. I just wish they would make it after the Super Bowl. Although I guess then literally nobody would watch it then.

I liked it much better after the Super Bowl. I would watch it if it was after the Super Bowl because I know it's a long time before the next season to start.

AussieChiefsFan
08-01-2013, 01:32 AM
I liked it much better after the Super Bowl. I would watch it if it was after the Super Bowl because I know it's a long time before the next season to start.Yeah, same for me. I guess some people just stop giving a shit after the Super Bowl. But yeah, I'd much rather the Super Bowl be 1 week after the Conference round. Then the Pro Bowl be 1 week after the Super Bowl. Using that format would also mean the Super Bowl players can attend if they want to.

Discuss Thrower
08-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Yeah, same for me. I guess some people just stop giving a shit after the Super Bowl. But yeah, I'd much rather the Super Bowl be 1 week after the Conference round. Then the Pro Bowl be 1 week after the Super Bowl. Using that format would also mean the Super Bowl players can attend if they want to.

Which was how it used to be..

AussieChiefsFan
08-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Which was how it used to be..And the way it should still be.

King_Chief_Fan
08-01-2013, 07:01 AM
You whine too much.

:clap:

Chief Roundup
08-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Man come on this is horrible.

whoman69
08-01-2013, 08:19 AM
sounds like the silly NHL all star game

Ace Gunner
08-01-2013, 08:21 AM
the jerks
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=122&pictureid=1337

TEX
08-01-2013, 09:36 AM
The more I hear about the changes,the more ridiculous / cheasy it sounds. The game as it is works ratings-wise. As much as some complained about the game, it draws more viewers than a lot of acclaimed sporting events.Besides the way they select the players, they've also change rules to make it more offensively minded. The last thing that game needs is more offense. My take is it was not broken enough to warrent this much "fixing." Anyway, this is just my opinion.

GoChargers
08-01-2013, 09:51 AM
The only league that actually does a good job with All-Star festivities is the NBA and even that's slipped in quality the last few years. The NHL is too busy cancelling theirs every couple years, the MLB's game is ruined by the weird contradiction of having the game count for home field advantage but still letting fans vote on the players, and the Pro Bowl is still a joke, albeit a gimmicky one now.

In a world where fans can watch every team's games whenever they want, maybe the idea of an all-star game in general is just outdated.

crossbow
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
If their intent is to dispel any doubt that they are idiots then they succeeded on a grand scale. Can't believe they are even wasting time on this.

jjchieffan
10-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I guess I missed this thread. First I heard about it. Crazy if you ask me.

Valiant
10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
I still like my idea better.

Skills competition, but it is broke down by division. So the best of each position of each division will round out the team. So the AFCW would play the AFCN in a skills competition, winners get points if their team wins the skill challenge. Team with most points moves on to the next round.

So it would be a playoff style competition, the best besides the superbowl teams would compete. Play four games on saturday, 3 on sunday including the championship skills game.

No fuckign fan vote, no writers vote. Top players stat wise for each division get chosen by other players outside of their conference. So the AFCW team would be picked by AFCN AFCS AFCE.

Gadzooks
10-21-2013, 07:38 PM
sounds like the silly NHL all star game

The player that gets picked last may be somewhat entertaining.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L98nJssWekY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>