PDA

View Full Version : Life Taking a vacation , I'll let you decide

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Taking 3 days ,so . It's either Carlsbad Caverns or Red River, NM.

Been to both before but I have a 13 year old daughter that hasn't been to Carlsbad and it would be really educational. She went with us to Red River but she was only 4 and really there's nothing to do there but relax in a cabin and walk through the woods and maybe a little fishing.

both are around 4 to 5 hours driving distance.

HonestChieffan
08-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Carlsbad. And all the ice cream she wants and no dad saying no to fun stuff.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I voted Carlsbad. Totally badass trip I plan on making myself some day.

Easy 6
08-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm going river... sun + water = FUN

mlyonsd
08-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Ask your daughter?

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Ask your daughter?

Heh. She wants both ! Imagine that.

Raiderhater
08-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Heh. She wants both ! Imagine that.

Just like a woman.

patteeu
08-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Carlsbad sounds like more of a memory maker for your daughter.

Bwana
08-02-2013, 07:58 PM
None of the above hit the Mountains of Montana.

lewdog
08-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Stop informing people of it's awesomeness!

Easy 6
08-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Mother of God if that isnt beautiful.

I miss Great Falls.

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Stop informing people of it's awesomeness!

True I need to start posting pirtures of Glendive, or Wolf Point. :thumb:

lewdog
08-02-2013, 08:20 PM
True I need to start posting pirtures of Glendive, or Wolf Point. :thumb:

ROFL

I rafted the Blackfoot the day after my wedding a few weeks ago. Man, it was just epic!

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Mother of God if that isnt beautiful.

I miss Great Falls.

I will be in Great Falls for part of next week then I'm driving up to Big Fork at the end of next week for the weekend to spend a few days at Flathead Lake. Beer, fishing and relaxing.

http://destinationnexus.com/pictures/master/Flathead-Lake-in-Kalispell-Montana-59901.jpg

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:25 PM
ROFL

I rafted the Blackfoot the day after my wedding a few weeks ago. Man, it was just epic!

Oh I bet!

lewdog
08-02-2013, 08:25 PM
I miss Great Falls.

^^^^^^^^^^

Said no one ever.....

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Said no one ever.....

I was hanging out in Neihart two weeks ago ATVing with some boys from Montana Refining. Ever spend any time up there?

Hammock Parties
08-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Vegas, baby! Show your daughter her future workplace!

lewdog
08-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I was hanging out in Neihart two weeks ago ATVing with some boys from Montana Refining. Ever spend any time up there?

Well yea but that isn't Great Falls. Great Falls is a dump of a town.

Baby Lee
08-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Make sure your car is in good shape. I'll never forget we had an epic vacation throughout the lower Mountain west when I was 12-13 or so, 3 weeks, tons of jeep rentals, sleeping right beside mountain streams, the works.

But the one thing that stuck with me [besides the Black Canyon of the Gunnison having an epic sewage problem leaving the whole campground smelling like a porta-potty] was a Japanese tourist family making it all the way to the entrance of the Cave of the Winds, only to have their driver's front lower ball joint fall completely off their car. Anyone who's ever gone there can tell you what a logistical problem they faced at that point.

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Yeah I have been offered some damn fine jobs up there but I wouldn't want to live there. The good thing about the area is the mountains are close, but it's still Great Falls. Now if I could find the same gig in the Flathead area, I would be gone and my first stop would be the boat store.

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Make sure your car is in good shape. I'll never forget we had an epic vacation throughout the lower Mountain west when I was 12-13 or so, 3 weeks, tons of jeep rentals, sleeping right beside mountain streams, the works.

But the one thing that stuck with me [besides the Black Canyon of the Gunnison having an epic sewage problem leaving the whole campground smelling like a porta-potty] was a Japanese tourist family making it all the way to the entrance of the Cave of the Winds, only to have their driver's front lower ball joint fall completely off their car. Anyone who's ever gone there can tell you what a logistical problem they faced at that point.

Clark??

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToE0olQwKdztPf8oXMZx2GTF5rA-hIfEKZqwRo3ozR5LEH_Rvg5yqQ54A0kw

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:45 PM
ROFL

Hey on a side note congrats on the wedding dude. :thumb:

Easy 6
08-02-2013, 08:50 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Said no one ever.....

PULL THAT SMOKEWAGON YOU SCOUNDREL!

Its indescribably beautiful in the Little Rock mountains outside of town, i used to go there almost every weekend in the summer... abandoned miners shacks full of old canned goods, pistol parts, newspapers from 1901, mountain lion tracks, bear tracks.

And me with my trusty Crossman 15 pump pellet gun, ready to take on God himself!

WE'LL FIGHT ON THEM WORDS!

HonestChieffan
08-02-2013, 08:53 PM

You were with the wrong people. GF is a super town, some great little bars/eateries and real people. Not a place for yuppies.

Bwana
08-02-2013, 08:55 PM
PULL THAT SMOKEWAGON YOU SCOUNDREL!

Its indescribably beautiful in the Little Rock mountains outside of town, i used to go there almost every weekend in the summer... abandoned miners shacks full of old canned goods, pistol parts, newspapers from 1901, mountain lion tracks, bear tracks.

And me with my trusty Crossman 15 pump pellet gun, ready to take on God himself!

WE'LL FIGHT ON THEM WORDS!

There is indeed some nice areas in the Little Belts. Still a decent number of elk in the area as well.

lewdog
08-02-2013, 08:57 PM
You were with the wrong people. GF is a super town, some great little bars/eateries and real people. Not a place for yuppies.

Have you lived there?

The area itself is nice. The town itself is shitty.

Baby Lee
08-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Clark??

Do a Google maps street view of Cave of the Winds Road.

Bwana
08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Do a Google maps street view of Cave of the Winds Road.

That reminds me A LOT of the Beartooth highway going from Red Lodge, MT to Cooke City Montana. Sweet looking country and the road from hell.

http://www.peakhappenings.com/wp-content/gallery/sept-gazette-2011/beartoothhwy01.jpg

RJ
08-02-2013, 09:19 PM
We enjoyed a Carlsbad/Roswell/Ruidoso trip a couple of years back. Ruidoso is beautiful and the quarter horse races are lots of fun. I believe they're running now.

Easy 6
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Forget about driving it, imagine the brass balls it took to build that damn thing.

They were risking death at every curve.

Bwana
08-03-2013, 06:32 AM
It would seem you will need a few more days and will be burning a little more gas! I hope you have a top hand to take care of the jiz wrangling for your extended absence. :hmmm:

Raiderhater
08-03-2013, 06:58 AM
That does it, I'm going to start planning a vacation to go see BWANA up in Montana.

I need to cross that state off of my "states I haven't been to yet" list any way.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-03-2013, 07:07 AM
It would seem you will need a few more days and will be burning a little more gas! I hope you have a top hand to take care of the jiz wrangling for your extended absence. :hmmm:

Man! Montana would be wonderful. In fact I might move there eventually. Unfortunately I need a 3 day trip and wouldn't have time to enjoy.

BlackHelicopters
08-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Gotta vote Montana.

spanky 52
08-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Hope I make it back to Montana before I die. I think I like the eastern half just as much as the western half. It's got a little bit of everything.

mdchiefsfan
08-03-2013, 08:00 AM

I will be in Great Falls for part of next week then I'm driving up to Big Fork at the end of next week for the weekend to spend a few days at Flathead Lake. Beer, fishing and relaxing.

http://destinationnexus.com/pictures/master/Flathead-Lake-in-Kalispell-Montana-59901.jpg

Wow.

patteeu
08-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Montana is beautiful in the summers, but the winters are brutal. I don't think I could live there full time. A summer home would be fantastic though.

lewdog
08-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Montana is beautiful in the summers, but the winters are brutal. I don't think I could live there full time. A summer home would be fantastic though.

25 years of the winters there and I had enough. They kept coming earlier and earlier. Seems we had a big snow storm by at least Halloween each year and at least a few big snow storms into April. Shorten that winter and I could maybe hack it but 5-6 months ever year...no thanks!

A summer shack up there would be nice though, especially given that I went to that complete opposite and now the summers are too long. ROFL