PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone ever paint Aluminum Siding?

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 07:27 AM
I have never painted aluminum siding before. I have several that I am going to paint. The current paint is pealing off in places and leaving that white transfer to whatever touches it.
Does the aluminum have to be "etched" before I repaint? What is the best paint for painting the aluminum? Should i use a paint and primer in one? I am going to pressure wash the painted ends of these homes to remove the pealing paint today and tomorrow. So I may not respond much during the day today. But any info would be appreciated.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Mtn. Home, Arkansas...nice place?

Is it as cozey as the name implies?

displacedinMN
08-12-2013, 07:36 AM
I did.

The siding was installed in 1968. Baby poop yellow.

Painted in 2002.
home depot told me to power wash the entire thing. It got rid of the oxidation. I did use a soap first then rinsed. You could scrub a few places too. Let it dry.

Then used a colored primer with a roller.
Then the main coat.

Behr paint.

Personally, I don't think you should do the all in one paint and primer. It may take two coats of just primer to cover and stick to the siding..

We were going to paint again a few years ago, then had hail that dented the siding, so it was replaced.

I would consider myself a moderate home improvement person.
This should be an easy thing to do.

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Mtn. Home use to be. Over the last couple of decades more and more people have moved in from Illinois and California and now it is becoming more and more rude. I never have understood why people wanted to move to the area, complaining about where they are from, and then want to change things around here to the way they were where they came from.
Seems it would have been a lot easier if they would have just stayed where they were at originally. :shrug:

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 07:42 AM
I did.

The siding was installed in 1968. Baby poop yellow.

Painted in 2002.
home depot told me to power wash the entire thing. It got rid of the oxidation. I did use a soap first then rinsed. You could scrub a few places too. Let it dry.

Then used a colored primer with a roller.
Then the main coat.

Behr paint.

Personally, I don't think you should do the all in one paint and primer. It may take two coats of just primer to cover and stick to the siding..

We were going to paint again a few years ago, then had hail that dented the siding, so it was replaced.

I would consider myself a moderate home improvement person.
This should be an easy thing to do.

Planned on using a power roller to make the job easier. Did you have to etch the aluminum? I can see some yellowish color that the metal is/was originally. Is that some protective coating?

kepp
08-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Mtn. Home use to be. Over the last couple of decades more and more people have moved in from Illinois and California and now it is becoming more and more rude. I never have understood why people wanted to move to the area, complaining about where they are from, and then want to change things around here to the way they were where they came from.
Seems it would have been a lot easier if they would have just stayed where they were at originally. :shrug:

That's sad to hear. My family used to rent a cabin on Lake Norfork every summer up until maybe 3 years ago. The last time I was there it was a nice, friendly place.

displacedinMN
08-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Planned on using a power roller to make the job easier. Did you have to etch the aluminum? I can see some yellowish color that the metal is/was originally. Is that some protective coating?

No, just power wash and primer. Maybe someone else can address the etching.

You can always do test plots. You prob knew that.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-12-2013, 07:47 AM

Is the topography pretty rolling? Is it located in the Ozark Mountains?

[Heading for google images...]

Mr_Tomahawk
08-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Looks pretty...

Sorry can't help you with your siding.

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Is the topography pretty rolling? Is it located in the Ozark Mountains?

[Heading for google images...]

Definitely very rolling hills. People here want to call them mountains but they are really just hills.

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Looks pretty...

Sorry can't help you with your siding.

With 2 huge lakes and all the creeks and rivers around there is a lot of outdoor activity for sure. Lots of beautiful scenery as well.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
How long of a drive is it to arrowhead on a Sunday morning...? ;)

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 07:53 AM
How long of a drive is it to arrowhead on a Sunday morning...? ;)

5 and a half hours at least.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-12-2013, 07:59 AM
5 and a half hours at least.

Damn.

Was hoping 3-4....that is a little more manageable to do in a day there and back.

Chief Roundup
08-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Damn.

Was hoping 3-4....that is a little more manageable to do in a day there and back.

Yeah man it sucks to try and do it in one day. I have done it. Leave at about 5:30 am. Then it is around 10:00pm when you get home if it is a noon game. Well worth when we won games. But it is a horribly long drive back after a loss.

gblowfish
08-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Just burn a cross in their front yard and they'll move away. Isn't that standard procedure for Arkansas?

Kidding, I'm kidding....

Phobia
08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
I would check with a specialty paint store in your area. They're going to have some industrial coatings specifically for metal that will bond nicely. While you can do okay with a lot of prep, primer, and Behr latex, you'd be better served by using a product specifically formulated for sticking to metal. It's going to be harder to work with but will outperform anything you can buy at the big box stores.

BlackHelicopters
08-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Damn.

Tyler Bray could do the whole job in 20-30 minutes. Just sayin'.................

Bugeater
08-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I painted mine 5 years ago. Powerwashed it and sprayed two coats of house paint on it and it's still good. Don't ever use paint/primer combos for anything other than maybe rental property. The stuff doesn't finish out as well as standard paints. And I'm not a fan of Behr at all.

Chief Roundup
08-13-2013, 08:14 AM
I would check with a specialty paint store in your area. They're going to have some industrial coatings specifically for metal that will bond nicely. While you can do okay with a lot of prep, primer, and Behr latex, you'd be better served by using a product specifically formulated for sticking to metal. It's going to be harder to work with but will outperform anything you can buy at the big box stores.

Sherwin Williams recommended thier Latex house brand of paint. They said it was an industrial version of Behr paint. There were some other options but the people want me to use Latex only. They told me that it couldn't be sprayed had to be rolled on though. Guess because of thickness???

Chief Roundup
08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I painted mine 5 years ago. Powerwashed it and sprayed two coats of house paint on it and it's still good. Don't ever use paint/primer combos for anything other than maybe rental property. The stuff doesn't finish out as well as standard paints. And I'm not a fan of Behr at all.

You still doing HVAC stuff?
I have a C&D shrader tool for removing shrader valves with the system live. I have used it one time. Would make you a nice deal on it if you are interested. I am no longer actively working in the industry.

Phobia
08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Sherwin Williams recommended thier Latex house brand of paint. They said it was an industrial version of Behr paint. There were some other options but the people want me to use Latex only. They told me that it couldn't be sprayed had to be rolled on though. Guess because of thickness???

Okay. That surprises me a little bit. But if that's what the pro's recommend then do what they're recommending. I figured they would sell you some metal paint.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Okay. That surprises me a little bit. But if that's what the pro's recommend then do what they're recommending. I figured they would sell you some metal paint.

most likely because it's aluminum, and possibly already been painted. The DTMs etc are hard to work with for a DIY'r, they don't want that headache.

Chief Roundup
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM

I don't know if I would call them pros or not. They are just some people behind the couter at a paint store. They were kids IMO. They have never done this stuff before.

Do you think the reason they recommended that is because of the non oil base latex paint demand the condominium association has stipulated?
What would you use man?

Chief Roundup
08-13-2013, 10:45 AM
A little more info as well. This siding is 4 by 8 sheets. There is one condo that has horizontal metal siding that is similar to vinyl siding. Where the paint has peeled off of this sheet siding there is a yellowish color to the metal. I assume that is the original primer.
Another stipulation they put on us was no spraying.

MahiMike
08-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Definitely power wash it real well. Ask the paint experts what kind to use. Almost think oil base...

Phobia
08-14-2013, 12:34 AM
I don't know if I would call them pros or not. They are just some people behind the couter at a paint store. They were kids IMO. They have never done this stuff before.

Do you think the reason they recommended that is because of the non oil base latex paint demand the condominium association has stipulated?
What would you use man?

Yeah. I don't use Sherwin Williams for much any longer. I'd go to an actual specialty paint store (not a franchise) nearby and ask them. I'd almost bet that SW is pushing their counter people towards certain products through commissions. I use Zekes locally but I trust two or three guys who have worked there for ages when I have "off-the-beaten-path" questions. There are direct to metal alkaloids that are seriously durable finishes but they aren't for just any old amateur to work with. Make sure you follow the manufacturer's spec sheet to get it right or you'll invalidate all warranties.

nstygma
08-14-2013, 02:02 AM
3 years ago i painted metal siding and it still looks great. no paint issues at all

sprayed with soap & tsp - then power washed as best i could
primed with zinsser 1-2-3 from home depot
sprayed with Kwal paint