PDA

View Full Version : Royals Miguel Tejada suspended 105 games

scho63
08-17-2013, 01:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9576752/miguel-tejada-kansas-city-royals-suspended-105-games

Kansas City Royals infielder Miguel Tejada has been suspended 105 games after testing positive for an amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball's drug program.

The suspension of the 2002 American League MVP is effective immediately, the Office of the Commissoner announced Saturday.

[+] EnlargeMiguel Tejada
Hannah Foslien/Getty Images
Miguel Tejada was suspended 105 games by MLB after testing positive for an amphetamine.
"I admitted I made a mistake. But I want people to understand one thing: I wasn't using a drug to take advantage on the field, or be stronger or hit more home runs," Tejada said to Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportes.com from his home in Florida.

"I've been using it [Adderall] for the past five years and had medical permission from MLB. But my last permit expired on April 15 and they didn't gave me another. I knew that I was in risk of breaking the rules, but at the same time, I could not stop using the medicine because I suffer from ADD [Attention Deficit Disorder]. It's not a vice, it is a disease."

Tejada had previously tested positive under the league's amphetamine policy, so he was subject to a 25-game ban for a second test and an 80-game suspension for a third, both of which occurred while playing for the Royals this season.

Tejada's ban is the third-longest non-lifetime suspension handed down by MLB, behind Alex Rodriguez's pending 211-game ban and Steve Howe's 119-game sanction in 1992. He also is the third former MVP to be suspended this season under baseball's drug program, joining Rodriguez and Ryan Braun (65 games) of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Yahoo Sports! reported Tejada's suspension comes after the 39-year-old twice tested positive for Adderall.
“tejada I've been using it for the past five years and had medical permission from MLB. But my last permit expired on April 15 and they didn't gave me another. I knew that I was in risk of breaking the rules, but at the same time, I could not stop using the medicine because I suffer from ADD. It's not a vice, it is a disease.
”-- Miguel Tejada
"It is unfortunate for me that things have not gone well, but I want people to be clear about my condition, which affects many other people in the world. When I do not take my medicine, I cannot focus properly, and even forget things very easily," Tejada said.

Tejada, who signed a one-year deal with the Royals last offseason, will begin serving the suspension while on the 60-day disabled list with a strained calf muscle. He would need to fulfill the remainder of the suspension next season before he's eligible to play.

Tejada was hitting .288 with three homers and 20 RBIs in 53 games before getting hurt.

Despite the punishment, Tejada said he did not plan to retire from baseball, and will try to get a contract for next year.

"I hope to get the contract, and if possible, the renewal of my permission to use a drug which I depend less each time," he said.

In 2009, Tejada became the first high-profile player convicted of a crime stemming from baseball's steroids era when he plead guilty to misleading Congress about the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Under a plea agreement with the same prosecutors that pursued a perjury indictment against Roger Clemens, Tejada admitted he withheld information about an ex-teammate's use of steroids and human growth hormone when questioned by a House committee's investigators in August 2005.

Tejada, a six-time All-Star, also previously acknowledged he bought HGH while playing for the Oakland Athletics, but said he threw the drugs away without using them.

BigMeatballDave
08-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Oops

vailpass
08-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Threw the drugs away without using them :)

SPATCH
08-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Pills are gooooooooood

vailpass
08-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Pills are gooooooooood

Better if you chew them

BigMeatballDave
08-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Threw the drugs away without using them :)

Oh, I'm sure he did.

SPATCH
08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Adderall though? BFD

vailpass
08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Oh, I'm sure he did.

Oh me too.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Welp....
Posted via Mobile Device

HoneyBadger
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Adderall though? BFD

You do realize what Adderall is, don't you?

Ace Gunner
08-17-2013, 02:03 PM
done

58-4ever
08-17-2013, 02:04 PM
That guy has a lot of energy.

vailpass
08-17-2013, 02:05 PM

And a lot of free time

Mr. Laz
08-17-2013, 02:05 PM
“tejada I've been using it for the past five years and had medical permission from MLB. But my last permit expired on April 15 and they didn't gave me another. I knew that I was in risk of breaking the rules, but at the same time, I could not stop using the medicine because I suffer from ADD. It's not a vice, it is a disease.
”-- Miguel Tejada

sounds like a legitimate "grey" area to me

did baseball say why they refuse to extend his permission?

Mr. Laz
08-17-2013, 02:07 PM
yep

energy and focus is the benefit

vailpass
08-17-2013, 02:08 PM
”-- Miguel Tejada

Good question. It's a legal, prescribed medication. His past history probably didn't help.

SPATCH
08-17-2013, 02:17 PM
You do realize what Adderall is, don't you?

What? an amphetamine? Yes, I know that. I have used it before, as well.

I don't buy that it would make you a better baseball player, whatsoever.

cabletech94
08-17-2013, 02:18 PM
might explain the "60 day disabled list" for what, a hammy. or was it calf, knee, leg, brain?

and in all seriousness, the guy really did bring some excitement.

and cue the well, bye pics.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Good question. It's a legal, prescribed medication. His past history probably didn't help.
it where the problem would arrive for no tolerance, lifetime ban for the first offense wouldn't be fair.

I'm not saying that Tejada is innocent or anything but Tejada had been using for 5 year WITH permission.

There needs to be compromise in situations like these. imo.

tredadda
08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
”-- Miguel Tejada

Something tells me there is more to the story than what Tejada is saying.

vailpass
08-17-2013, 02:22 PM
it where the problem would arrive for no tolerance, lifetime ban for the first offense wouldn't be fair.

I'm not saying that Tejada is innocent or anything but Tejada had been using for 5 year WITH permission.

There needs to be compromise in situations like these. imo.

If these are the full facts I have to agree. If.

SPATCH
08-17-2013, 02:22 PM
The fact that this suspension doesn't involve any HGH/steriods actually means that Miggy might still LEGITIMATELY have something left in the tank, actually.

vailpass
08-17-2013, 02:25 PM
The fact that this suspension doesn't involve any HGH/steriods actually means that Miggy might still LEGITIMATELY have something left in the tank, actually.

He might have the latest non-testable ped left in the syringe too.

Molitoth
08-17-2013, 02:27 PM
MLB is fucking retarded. Whats next? No use of asprins?

Anyong Bluth
08-17-2013, 02:28 PM
What, an amphetamine? Yes, I know that. I have used it before, as well.

I don't buy that it would make you a better baseball player, whatsoever.

The gains would be minimal - as someone that has a legally prescribed prescription for it I have a pretty good insight on this.

5 years of use is even more evidence in favor as this has been a normal ongoing treatment. The drug is highly controlled and regulated, at minimum he has to have a follow-up with his doctor every 3 months.

So, basically we're in the dark about why his exemption suddenly was denied, and I'm not all for defending PED use and skirting the system, but really MLB is either misinformed or their policy is needs changing regarding this.

So far it looks like he is being dinged for an administrative error.

I know it may seem like I'm making excuses for the guy, but if you understand the nature of the use for this when legitimately prescribed then there should be no issues if he was already exempt for years.

Anyong Bluth
08-17-2013, 02:35 PM
I posted this in another thread but now that it has it's own discussion. ..
I want to believe the guy. Heard him in an interview on 610 last week and he came out and said that he preferred the team had gone out and gotten another second baseman to make the team better. Surely someone that selfless has to be telling the truth here, right?

What I'm confused by is 1st the denial of his reapplication when it was medically cleared before.

Second, this policy is poorly implemented, because use of it is not something you can just stop at a set date- there are real health implications doing that, not to mention some pretty nasty side effects as your system flushes itself and has to readjust to the absence of the medication.

Lastly, why did he never have to serve the 28 game suspension- even if he was appealing there should have been a determination, and if that wasn't resolved yet, given the medication and previous exemption, he should have been allowed to continue to take it until a final ruling.

It makes no sense that he should get dinged for a 3rd offense if there was a process of appeal and/or reapplication given the substance in question as I have pointed out above and no doctor would advocate immediate discontinuation of a medication like adderall.

Plus, what is this policy of expiring medical excemption? This is a class of drugs to treat an ongoing disorder that doesn't magically cure itself, so its not as if his medical need would say compared to, for example, the temporary prescribing of other banned substances such as steroids to treat an isolated medical condition.

SPATCH
08-17-2013, 02:35 PM
He might have the latest non-testable ped left in the syringe too.

When a saw the tweet that said 105 game suspension I thought, "No wonder he was playing so well"

When I saw adderall... that didn't take away from how legitimate I thought his success was

vailpass
08-17-2013, 02:38 PM
When a saw the tweet that said 105 game suspension I thought, "No wonder he was playing so well"

When I saw adderall... that didn't take away from how legitimate I thought his success was

Fair statement. I'm jaded on baseball players and juice. I think it's part of the game.

BigMeatballDave
08-17-2013, 03:04 PM
MLB is fucking retarded. Whats next? No use of asprins?

How is this the same as Adderal?

BlackHelicopters
08-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Speed kills. What a dumfucktard

BlackHelicopters
08-17-2013, 04:12 PM
No excuses. These guys are idiots.

Pablo
08-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Well, that fucking sucks.

BlackHelicopters
08-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Fucktards

CrazyPhuD
08-17-2013, 05:38 PM
So this issue is inherently messy. The reality is you can make a similar argument for the advantages of adderall and pain killers in sports. Pain killers allow players to ignore signs their body is being pushed beyond their limits and keep playing at a high level. A similar argument can be made about the energy boosting qualities of adderall. Adderally allows a player to keep going beyond the normal energy levels the body has. In both pain killers and energy booster you will pay for pushing your body beyond it's capacity later.

The differences is that pain killers probably won't kill you on the field. The same can not be said of powerful stimulants. Stimulants are going to amp your heart rate and blood pressure, increasing your risks of stroke and heart attack. Combine that with intense physical exercise and that can be really dangerous.

The problem is that ADHD can really negatively impact your life. If you don't have it you probably won't understand all of the impacts it can have in your life. While the MLB may want to naturally prohibit the use during games it can't say you can't use it at all. Frankly if Tejada is actually diagnosed with ADHD then not only does he have a case to appeal through the MLB, he also can file suit under the ADA to prevent the MLB from banning him due to use of ADHD outside of games.

The real question is, why did the MLB deny his wavier? That's what seems very odd here.

crossbow
08-17-2013, 05:57 PM
He should have put up a fake web site and claimed ignorance. Wait that was tried once before and it failed.

My real take on this is if he is going to be 40 years old and taking speed then his heart is at a greater risk. Shouldn't he be dialing it down about now?

Quesadilla Joe
08-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Adderall though? BFD

That stuff makes you a machine. It is most certainly a PED.

HonestChieffan
08-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Dopers. Never their fault. Deserves to be gone.

penbrook
08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Speed is now a PED? Geez, are these guys allowed to drink Starbucks?