PDA

View Full Version : Life Life Overlap with your spouse/significant other.

Rain Man
08-17-2013, 06:29 PM
When you think about your life, how much overlap is there with your spouse or significant other?

Are you joined at the hip and you do the same activities, have the same hobbies, know the same people, etc? Or do you run independently and link up for perhaps meals, bedtime, etc.?

It's hard to come up with exact categories to quantify this, but some questions might be:

1. Are your friends also your spouse's friends?
2. Do you go out with friends without your spouse, or do you always go out together?
3. Do you eat dinner together at home?
4. How often do you go to a restaurant without your spouse?
5. Do you and your spouse know about all the workplace drama at each other's jobs?
6. Does your spouse participate in your hobbies, and vice versa?
7. Do you ever travel without your spouse?
8. When you're at home, do you sit in different rooms most of the time, or sit in the same room most of the time?
9. Do you and your spouse go shopping together (non-groceries and groceries)?
10. What's the largest expense you'll incur without discussing it with your spouse? (Setting aside gifts.)

There's probably other good questions that I'm not thinking of.

cyborgtable
08-17-2013, 06:40 PM
1.) No
2.) Yes
3.) Yes
4.) Only if at at work or campus
5.) Yes
6.) I would say half and half
7.) For school and work yes otherwise no
8.) Same room
9.) All the time
10.) About 10 bucks and she is the same. (poor college kids)

cdcox
08-17-2013, 06:47 PM

We have common friends and separate friends. I think she has met all of my friends, but she has some relatively new ones that I haven't met.

2. Do you go out with friends without your spouse, or do you always go out together?

We don't always go together.

Always.

I go to work meals a couple times a month without her. She goes to lunch with her friends without me. We both occasional have a restaurant meal with our daughter without the other spouse present.

5. Do you and your spouse know about all the workplace drama at each other's jobs?

I only share the highlights. She doesn't work.

Pretty much separate. We do go to art museums together, but sometimes we go to different parts of the museum during part of the time.

Yes. Aside from business, I saw my friend in NYC last year. Sometimes visit my parents alone. She sometimes visits her sister without me. She just got back from a week-long art workshop. We travel together too.

8. When you're at home, do you sit in different rooms most of the time, or sit in the same room most of the time?

Same room.

I do the grocery shopping alone. She usually buys household goods (toiletries, stuff at Target) alone. Sometimes she goes with me when I clothes shop.

10. What's the largest expense you'll incur without discussing it with your spouse? (Setting aside gifts.)

$300 - $400

We're moderately independent from one another. Much more independent than my parents.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Been married 26 years. My wife and I used to do everything together but for the last 25 1/2 years we kind of just do our own thing.

Mav
08-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Been married 26 years. My wife and I used to do everything together but for the last 25 1/2 years we kind of just do our own thing.

ROFL

Ive been married for 3 years. We still do quite a bit together.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-17-2013, 06:55 PM
1. Are your friends also your spouse's friends? Her friends are stupid and I don't have any friends
2. Do you go out with friends without your spouse, or do you always go out together? See #1
3. Do you eat dinner together at home?I fix my own meals . she eats McDonalds,Subway ,Taco Bell
4. How often do you go to a restaurant without your spouse?Often
5. Do you and your spouse know about all the workplace drama at each other's jobs?What Drama ? I jack off pigs and she doesn't work
6. Does your spouse participate in your hobbies, and vice versa? She hates football and hates killing animals.
7. Do you ever travel without your spouse? Yes. As far away as possible
8. When you're at home, do you sit in different rooms most of the time, or sit in the same room most of the time? Me living room. Her Bedroom. She smells like an ashtray.
9. Do you and your spouse go shopping together (non-groceries and groceries)? Hell no !
10. What's the largest expense you'll incur without discussing it with your spouse? (Setting aside gifts.)I buy real estate. She buys fuckin twinkies and hoho's.

SAUTO
08-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Probably close to 95 percent.
Posted via Mobile Device

PunkinDrublic
08-17-2013, 07:03 PM

How did you break it to her delicately that you jack off hogs for a living?

HoneyBadger
08-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Want to stay together with your SO, then spend a lot of time apart.

keg in kc
08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I've been single for 10 years. The twins (rosie and palmela) and I do everything together.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-17-2013, 07:11 PM
How did you break it to her delicately that you jack off hogs for a living?

I let her smell my hand. Then made her guess what that smell was. Took her 4 days to get it right.

Rain Man
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
This thread is teaching me all sorts of things, among them that Hog Farmer is a romantic sap.

I was curious whether my wife and I are more independent than average, but it seems like there's a fair amount of independence in marriages.

My wife is pretty much in charge of friends. We have very separate sets of friends, but are friendly with each other's friends.

I pretty much always go out with my wife. My wife is more social, so she often goes out without me while I hang out at home.

Seldom. We tend to have different schedules, so we usually graze or eat separately at home.

Setting aside daytime stuff, I'll occasionally go out alone, but usually if she's socializing with friends (see above). But most of the time we go to restaurants together if it's an evening or weekend. All bets are off at lunch and we're completely separate.

We work together, so yeah.

Our primary hobbies are completely separate solo activities and we never do them together. But we go to art galleries and antique stores and stuff together.

Relatively frequently. I like to travel a lot more than she does, so I often wander off without her. When she travels, it's almost always with me.

Usually a different room, probably because one of us is listening to music or watching TV while the other one isn't.

We shop separately for groceries and tend to get different things. My wife frequently shops without me for clothes and stuff, and always goes with me if I'm out.

Generally no more than $50 other than signups for running races and related hotels.

PunkinDrublic
08-17-2013, 07:17 PM
I let her smell my hand. Then made her guess what that smell was. Took her 4 days to get it right.

:clap: Looks like I have a new hero!

RobBlake
08-21-2013, 02:45 AM
i like spending time with my wife.. cause we are similar in a lot of ways and different as well. We do activities together like working out and playing sports..card games etc... while we do our hobbies separately.. her arts/crafts/drawing..me.. music/guitar/listening.. love it

Saulbadguy
08-21-2013, 05:55 AM
VOTED FOR SEPARATOR AS ALWAYS

2bikemike
08-21-2013, 06:06 AM
My wife and I spend some time together. We don't have the same interests and we each do our own thing. She is retired and I work my ass off. So right off the bat I am at work on average about 65 hours a week. I don't usually have a clue where she is during those times.

Together we take one or two really good vacations a year, She will usually travel once a year to see her girlfriends she grew up with. I will sometimes take off for a long weekend to go offroading or back to KC for a Chiefs game and to visit family. Two things she is not really interested in.

We are very happily married and enjoy each others company immensely. We just have different interests that we just prefer to do on our own without torturing the other.

Sandy Vagina
08-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Been married for 13 years now. My wife works from 7-4 weekdays, and I work from home when I feel like it. So, when she gets home, we spend our time together, for the most part. The shopping together is occasional.. infrequent.. rarely travel... once a month on going out to dinner maybe.. we are home-bodies when we can be, and generally spend that time together. I wouldn't spend more than $500 without at least mentioning it to her first. I have my Friday nights away to hang with the guys for beers, but otherwise, we like spending our non-working time together still. And most importantly, she respects my football, and stays out of my way on that. :D

Graystoke
08-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Been Married twice. Think I am done. Love the gal I am dating. She is against Marriage, and loves sex...ALL THE TIME!

GloryDayz
08-21-2013, 06:47 AM
While I get the point of the thread, and it's interesting in some way, this is like Facebook....

That being said, my wife often wonders how a Chiefs board can be so varied in terms of content...

rageeumr
08-21-2013, 07:19 AM
I'd like to revisit this question in a few years.

We have 2 small kids (3 and almost 2), so we spend a ton of time "together" just keeping the kids fed/bathed/entertained/alive.

But when we get a second of free time, she goes her way and I go mine. We don't really like the same leisure activities. The one thing we both really enjoy (running) we don't really like to do together.

We pretty much have the same group of friends, though. And neither of us go "out" without the other very often...maybe quarterly.

ArrowheadHawk
08-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Spend all of the time with my wife together unless we are working.

BlackHelicopters
08-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Used to spend every non working moment with wife. Lately, not so much.

Radar Chief
08-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Been Married twice. Think I am done. Love the gal I am dating. She is against Marriage, and loves sex...ALL THE TIME!

Why buy the cow when you’re getting the milk for free? /Grandpa Radar

Dayze
08-21-2013, 08:04 AM
1. Are your friends also your spouse's friends? Most of my wife's older friends from HS have gotten 'mommy' syndrome. EVERY conversation would have center around kids in some way shape or form. She now has zero in common with them and hasn't seen them for years now. Though she has met a few friends at work she's close with and I enjoy hanging out with the.

2. Do you go out with friends without your spouse, or do you always go out together? Usually go out together 90% of the time. I'll hook up for burgers and beers every so often with old work buddies from the past.

3. Do you eat dinner together at home? Yes. 99% of the time

4. How often do you go to a restaurant without your spouse? Rarely

5. Do you and your spouse know about all the workplace drama at each other's jobs? Yes.

6. Does your spouse participate in your hobbies, and vice versa? somewhat. we'll play video games now and again. go shooting. go to the museum, find neat things in the city to go visit etc.

7. Do you ever travel without your spouse? Rarely.

8. When you're at home, do you sit in different rooms most of the time, or sit in the same room most of the time? If I'm on the PS3 I'm downstairs. Otherwise we usually hang out in the living room.

9. Do you and your spouse go shopping together (non-groceries and groceries)? Usually. Though my grocery list of say, 10 items, turns into 20 items when she goes. Imagine that.

10. What's the largest expense you'll incur without discussing it with your spouse? (Setting aside gifts.) We usually have a $75 rule. really not permission, just to check. we pool our money into the same accounts etc. we're both pretty much non-shoppers. a video game here an there for me; books for her. Other than that, we llike to go out to dinners.

seclark
08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
been married 33 years next month(I think)

in most cases

occasionally...her more than I. she does that "girls night out" thing once a month(not her period...actually going out w/her female friends)

ha...not very often. she works out after work in town. gets home and eats. I'm usually out walking when she gets home and eats.

hardly ever

yeah, we both bitch about our jobs.

no

sometimes...i'll go for a couple days to visit my mother. she'll go a couple days to visit her grandmother.

about 50/50

kind of...I sit in the car while she shops.

maybe a couple hundred bucks?

sec

Graystoke
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
been married 33 years next month(I think)

sec

I gotta say. That is awesome!

Strongside
08-21-2013, 08:54 AM
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Twice a week usually
5. Yes
6. Sparingly
7. For business
8. Same Room
9. Yes
10. Playstation 4 later this year. Don't ask, don't tell.

Frosty
08-21-2013, 09:01 AM

What friends?

See #1

Yes

We rarely eat in restaurants and it is usually together the few times that we do.

Yes, probably more than I wish to hear about.

No. i wish she would go hiking with me but she complains that I walk too fast for her (she is much shorter than I am). However, I am willing to go at her pace so I think it's just an excuse.

Rarely

About 50/50

We do the majority of our grocery shopping together on Sundays. I will occasionally have to stop and pick up stuff on the way home. She hates to shop, so I go alone most of the time if I need to shop for clothes.

$400 - 500, usually me shopping online (she doesn't like to spend money). I would be dead if I bought a big ticket item without her.

Next march will be 25 years, so we have things pretty well worked out now.

Strongside
08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
BlackBob couldn't be here, so he asked that I respond for him:

I don't allow her to associate with people when she's out of her cage.

I'm working on this. The cage is a bit bulky right now, but I'm trying to engineer some kind of portable alternative.

Yes. I eat a TV Dinner at approximately 9 and watch Murder She Wrote. Helen's dinner time is at 6 and usually consists of whatever I didn't eat of my lunch.

See Number 2.

Helen doesn't work. She knows when I've had a bad day though and I usually tell her about it while I'm throwing black cats at her feet and making her dance to Chris Isaac.

Helen loves to dig. She's got a large hole going in the basement. I'm not sure it's a hobby though. I don't participate.

Again, see number 2.

I only go into the basement during feeding time or to dance.

Normally I have my sister pick up my TV dinners while she's at the market.

Subway sandwiches, cocaine, live rooster, tornado shelter, diabetic needles, light bulbs, lube.

Rain Man
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
This thread is affirming to me in that I now feel that I don't ignore my wife, or at least not more than average. And it confirms my theory that unmarried couples are more attached to each other on a daily basis than married couples.

Bowser
08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
This thread is teaching me all sorts of things, among them that Hog Farmer is a romantic sap.

It's the romantic sap in his hands you should be concerned with.

Dayze
08-21-2013, 12:02 PM
It's the romantic sap in his hands you should be concerned with.

LMAO

DaFace
08-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I went with 80%. We have our own friend groups and do things separately from time to time, but have a ton of similar leisure time activities and thus do most of that stuff together.

Graystoke
08-21-2013, 01:05 PM
This thread is affirming to me in that I now feel that I don't ignore my wife, or at least not more than average. And it confirms my theory that unmarried couples are more attached to each other on a daily basis than married couples.

As a single guy, I would say I love to go out, travel with and do fun things with my GF. When I was married I was a boring fuck.

Pablo
08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
When you think about your life, how much overlap is there with your spouse or significant other?

Are you joined at the hip and you do the same activities, have the same hobbies, know the same people, etc? Or do you run independently and link up for perhaps meals, bedtime, etc.?

It's hard to come up with exact categories to quantify this, but some questions might be:

1. Are your friends also your spouse's friends? My friends are hers pretty much
2. Do you go out with friends without your spouse, or do you always go out together?Mostly together, sometimes I need guys nights for sanity's sake
3. Do you eat dinner together at home?Most of the time
4. How often do you go to a restaurant without your spouse?Work maybe
5. Do you and your spouse know about all the workplace drama at each other's jobs?I know about hers, I don't have much to bitch about
6. Does your spouse participate in your hobbies, and vice versa?She reads books while I watch sports, so I guess. She'll go to games with me. No golfing for her though.
7. Do you ever travel without your spouse?Not typically
8. When you're at home, do you sit in different rooms most of the time, or sit in the same room most of the time?Usually the same room
9. Do you and your spouse go shopping together (non-groceries and groceries)?Most of the time I go
10. What's the largest expense you'll incur without discussing it with your spouse? (Setting aside gifts.)Probably $300-400 bucks. XBOne or PS4 will probably be the latest

There's probably other good questions that I'm not thinking of.Married in like 5 weeks, so I'm sure some of these answers will change with time.