PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli reflects on drafting Baldwin, insists ‘he can make catches others can't'

Hammock Parties
08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
ROFLROFLROFL

Suck it Fat Scott.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/08/20/pioli-reflects-on-drafting-baldwin-insists-he-can-make-catches-others-in-the-nfl-just-cant/

cott Pioli is rooting for Jon Baldwin to succeed with the 49ers, as would have been the case even if Baldwin wasn’t traded Monday from the Chiefs.

Pioli, the former Chiefs general manager and now an NBC Sports NFL analyst, remains a big believer in Baldwin’s potential.

“When we drafted him, we felt he was a tremendous height, weight, speed prospect,” Pioli said in a Tuesday phone call. “Even though he’s a big, tall guy, he has deceptive speed and covers more ground than you’d expect.

“He can make difficult catches that others can’t. He just needs to work on his consistency a bit.”

Here are some other insights Pioli offered:

On if Baldwin drops too many passes: “He’s got very good hand. He just needs to be more consistent. He’ll make catches other players in the NFL just can’t make.”

On if Baldwin’s deep-threat ability will thrive with Colin Kaepernick: “I don’t know if it’s fair to speculate. What happens between a quarterback and receiver is very much chemistry related, and that’s yet to be determined.”

On Baldwin’s red-zone threat: “Players’ ability in the red zone comes down to chemistry and the trust the quarterback develops with that receiver. You can’t just throw guys out there and throw magic dust on and it happens.”

ClevelandBronco
08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
In what sport?

RealSNR
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
So he's basically building in an excuse that says if Baldwin fails in San Fran, it's Kaepernick's fault

TribalElder
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Scott needs to admit that bellichick Rick rolled him in to picking big foot Baldwin

ClevelandBronco
08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
He caught a hell of a lot of luck getting drafted where he was.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Insightful. What's his take on Matt Cassel?

Gravedigger
08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
What is he catching... like Herpes or something?

Bugeater
08-20-2013, 09:05 PM
It just boggles my fucking mind that someone who was as abysmal of a failure as him can get a job as a sports analyst.

Hammock Parties
08-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Insightful. What's his take on Matt Cassel?

http://i.imgur.com/fQjI0.png

Deberg_1990
08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
It just boggles my ****ing mind that someone who was as abysmal of a failure as him can get a job as a sports analyst.

It helps prove what a joke alot of these guys are. Just because a guy is on TV or a good writer does not make him an expert.

TEX
08-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I don'e know who was worse at his job, Baldwin or Pioli? :shake:

Bugeater
08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
It helps prove what a joke alot of these guys are. Just because a guy is on TV or a good writer does not make him an expert.
The thing is...most of them have had some kind of success in the sport in one way or another. No, that doesn't make them an expert by any means, but at least they earned their way into a TV gig. Pioli was nothing but a fucking fraud.

Ming the Merciless
08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
executive of the decade!

TEX
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
The thing is...most of them have had some kind of success in the sport in one way or another. No, that doesn't make them an expert by any means, but at least they earned their way into a TV gig. Pioli was nothing but a ****ing fraud.

...Of the worst kind becasue he thought he was so smart. What a total douche drinker.

GordonGekko
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM

There are a few good guys out there. I really like Polian as an analyst. He is very straightforward and his opinion makes a lot of sense. He definitely doesn't believe in wishful thanking, unlike Kiper, and only goes with what he sees, not what he believes.

Fat Elvis
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
He’s got very good hand.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8g3tQaqizh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MMXcalibur
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Matt Millen vs Scott Pioli

Naked.
In oil.

Who wins?

GordonGekko
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
...Of the worst kind becasue he thought he was so smart. What a total douche drinker.

It begs to be asked if this is what we think about Pioli, what do we think about the guy that hired him and allowed his presence for four complete seasons?

Fat Elvis
08-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Naked.
In oil.

Who wins?

Zippo

Hammock Parties
08-20-2013, 09:17 PM

Naked.
In oil.

Who wins?

You liked that tweet eh?

Mav
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
My problem with Pioli is he seems to absolve himself from any mistakes that were made.

That is bothersome.

lcarus
08-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Sadly he's probably right. Baldwin is probably good at making circus catches. Too bad he can't catch the routine passes when he's wide open. It's like a basketball player that can nail contested fadeaway 3s but can't make a free throw or short floater to save their mamas life.

Kaepernick
08-20-2013, 10:42 PM
The 49ers now have a Pioli draft pick. Are we cursed?

J Diddy
08-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Sadly he's probably right. Baldwin is probably good at making circus catches. Too bad he can't catch the routine passes when he's wide open. It's like a basketball player that can nail contested fadeaway 3s but can't make a free throw or short floater to save their mamas life.

Maybe he is deceptively quick, but from my perspective he was always lumbering with shotty routes that rounded rather than cut.

J Diddy
08-20-2013, 10:43 PM

For a draft pick we'll let you have Pioli.

BossChief
08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
So, he drafted Baldwin because he thought he could catch Cassel passes?

Zing

lcarus
08-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Maybe he is deceptively quick, but from my perspective he was always lumbering with shotty routes that rounded rather than cut.

No quickness in his cuts, slow getting off the line, got manhandled by smaller weaker DBs. Then dropped some easy passes. Disappointing. I still like his physical tools. He just can't put it to use.

chiefzilla1501
08-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Look to the scouting reports.

The knock on him was that he had good coaching, yet never once improved. Was known to work out like a beast in the weight room, but didn't care about working hard on the practice field.

This shouldn't surprise too many.

J Diddy
08-20-2013, 10:53 PM
So, he drafted Baldwin because he thought he could catch Cassel passes?

Zing

As sad as it seems, it makes sense. When you have a qb that consistently throws 3 feet high, I guess one way to fix it would be to draft a wr who can jump that high.

I, myself, would've just drafted a more accurate qb, but hey whatever works (or doesn't)

The Bad Guy
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
If Pioli ever gets a Twitter account, I'll wear this keyboard out writing to him.

Thig Lyfe
08-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Remember that time when Baldwin got sick? Hey turns out he can catch SOMEthign!!!

KCrockaholic
08-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Look at Baldwin's ankles. It's easy enough to figure out why he'll never be a good route runner. The hands are a brain issue. And he's a dumbass.

scho63
08-20-2013, 11:03 PM
So we have a thread about a worthless failed prior GM talking about a worthless draft bust former player.....:shake:

Worthless thread

Phobia
08-20-2013, 11:13 PM
So basically we have a person who has a platform and an agenda. He's seeking to prove his agenda correct and he will shout it from the rooftops to anybody who will listen over and over and over again...

and you are making fun of this person?

Hammock Parties
08-20-2013, 11:16 PM
So basically we have a person who has a platform and an agenda. He's seeking to prove his agenda correct and he will shout it from the rooftops to anybody who will listen over and over and over again...

and you are making fun of this person?

Richard Grieco, you see right through me!

penbrook
08-20-2013, 11:34 PM
GM Trent Baalke(#49ers) & GM John Dorsey(#Chiefs) discussed the idea of "Jenkins for Baldwin" Trade during the #Niners Vs Chiefs game. #NFL

Fritz88
08-20-2013, 11:57 PM
My problem with Pioli is he seems to absolve himself from any mistakes that were made.

That is bothersome.

He won't admit mistakes. That is a sign of a bad manger.
Posted via Mobile Device

08-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Why are we posting anything that Polio says?

Thig Lyfe
08-21-2013, 12:04 AM
GM Trent Baalke(#49ers) & GM John Dorsey(#Chiefs) discussed the idea of "Jenkins for Baldwin" Trade during the #Niners Vs Chiefs game. #NFL

MUTUAL TAMPERING?!?!!?

MotherfuckerJones
08-21-2013, 12:34 AM
If Pioli ever gets a Twitter account, I'll wear this keyboard out writing to him.

He doesn't have the balls to. I'd definitely cuss him

Sorter
08-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Look at Baldwin's ankles. It's easy enough to figure out why he'll never be a good route runner. The hands are a brain issue. And he's a dumbass.

LMAO

Lex Luthor
08-21-2013, 03:29 AM
It begs to be asked if this is what we think about Pioli, what do we think about the guy that hired him and allowed his presence for four complete seasons?
Wow. What a great question. :spock:

It's only been asked and answered about a BILLION times already on this site.

AussieChiefsFan
08-21-2013, 03:48 AM
This guy.

CrazyPhuD
08-21-2013, 03:51 AM
:BS: For all the burning AIDS trees we've thrown at him, Baldwin has yet to catch any of them!:harumph:

Eleazar
08-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Nobody ever disputed his height/weight/speed, Scooter

AussieChiefsFan
08-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Nobody ever disputed his height/weight/lack of speed, Scooterfyp?

ChiefGator
08-21-2013, 05:30 AM

Oh, please.. are you serious?

(a) It was considered an EXCELLENT hire at the time. We aren't the first to fall to the lack of communication that comes out of New England. While coach's fail miserably out of NE, front office staffers have done well, especially Dimitroff.

(b) Four years is a very quick turnaround for firing a GM. It took four years and only two coaches and the owning group/family voted him off the island.

(c) Organizational changes were made in the reporting structure in response to this failure.

This is how all good organizations are run..

TEX
08-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Oh, please.. are you serious?

(a) It was considered an EXCELLENT hire at the time. We aren't the first to fall to the lack of communication that comes out of New England. While coach's fail miserably out of NE, front office staffers have done well, especially Dimitroff.

(b) Four years is a very quick turnaround for firing a GM. It took four years and only two coaches and the owning group/family voted him off the island.

(c) Organizational changes were made in the reporting structure in response to this failure.

This is how all good organizations are run..

I'm agree with all of it except who other than Dimitroff has been real successful in the front office after leaving The Hoody?

King_Chief_Fan
08-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Pioli - gone
Baldwin - gone

Now why do we care about either?

Rasputin
08-21-2013, 07:16 AM

Maybe, maybe not, but you will have the cleanest stadium free of all candy wrapper debre. I think that is what Pioli is referring to with catching what others will not catch is candy wrappers blowing in the wind.

It was one of the questions Pioli drilled him on at the combine was how he would pick up candy wrappers. Baldwin gave all the right answers.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Pioli was a bad GM and Baldwin for some reason never showed up BUT I'll bet anything he becomes a good reciever in San Fran. Just remember Matt Cassel was the QB throwing to him the last two years and he was having great training camps but all Cassel could do in game time was look for Bowe or shit his self.

MahiMike
08-21-2013, 07:32 AM
I think I see the problem here...

"He’s got very good hand".

He only has ONE hand!

BlackHelicopters
08-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Best satire I have ever read. The author of this piece is a comedic genius

Brock
08-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Pioli - gone
Baldwin - gone

He who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it.

loochy
08-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Naked.
In oil.

Who wins?

Nobody. Nobody in the world can win from that.

tredadda
08-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I wonder if Pioli will ever admit that he was wrong on any of his decisions, like almost every one of them not named Berry.

Halfcan
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Worst Chiefs GM of all time.

BlackHelicopters
08-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Pioli can spot candy wrappers no one else can.

FlaChief58
08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Delusional fucker...:facepalm:

FlaChief58
08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Worst GM of all time.

FYP

Mike in SW-MO
08-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Nobody. Nobody in the world can win from that.

Boiling?

Winners all around!

J Diddy
08-21-2013, 10:09 AM

"John, my fucking guy sucks."
"Trent, mine does too"
"Hey John, wouldn't it be funny to watch them suck in each others uniforms."
"Hell yeah, it'd be hilarious. Call you about it on Tuesday."

kepp
08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
It just boggles my ****ing mind that someone who was as abysmal of a failure as him can get a job as a sports analyst.

Actually, I believe his official title is "Sports Analcyst". But people usually don't notice because its just on the screen for a second or two.

CaliforniaChief
08-21-2013, 12:18 PM
This from the man who does a better job evaluating clean stairwells than a clean delivery from a QB...or does a better job cutting people from the organization due to age than football players who can't play football.

His evaluation of Baldwin makes me feel even better about letting him go.

RealSNR
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Pioli - gone
Baldwin - gone

Hitler's dead. Why don't we just not talk about the Holocaust anymore? Don't teach it in the schools... all you're doing is not moving on with your life if you bring up that old drama.

ChiliConCarnage
08-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, he did have that one crazy catch behind the defenders back. If he could have just added some regular everyday type catches that would have been handy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2013, 01:43 PM
So he's basically building in an excuse that says if Baldwin fails in San Fran, it's Kaepernick's fault

He could never have the kind of awesome chemistry as a receiver that one experiences with Matt Cassel/Pioli

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2013, 01:44 PM
He who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it.

All we DO is repeat bad history. It's "our thing".:shake:

Marcellus
08-21-2013, 01:48 PM
The fact he can make catches other can't isn't the issue.

The real problem is he cant make catches most anyone else with opposable thumbs can.

King_Chief_Fan
08-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Hitler's dead. Why don't we just not talk about the Holocaust anymore? Don't teach it in the schools... all you're doing is not moving on with your life if you bring up that old drama.

apples and oranges jack

BlackHelicopters
08-21-2013, 02:27 PM
"John, my fucking guy sucks."
"Trent, mine does too"
"Hey John, wouldn't it be funny to watch them suck in each others uniforms."
"Hell yeah, it'd be hilarious. Call you about it on Tuesday."

The conversation may gone exactly like that.

Easy 6
08-21-2013, 02:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fQjI0.png

That's the look of a man about to get mowed down by an airplane.