PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Biking around KC-easy or dangerous?

scho63
08-24-2013, 12:54 PM
During my planning for my first trip to KC in late Sept, I noticed that they have a lot of bicycle sharing programs all over the city including one right next to my hotel.

My question is a simple one: is downtown KC a bike friendly place or am I taking my life in my hands at 50 years old riding a bike around town?

Also, do they have any bike trails created from old railroad tracks or around any lakes or scenic drives downtown?

Any help appreciated, especially if you used the B-cycle share program.

I'm not going to rent a car so one day on a bike seems like a fun way to explore the city.

Simply Red
08-24-2013, 12:54 PM
pretty slow paced there - I like your chances of survival.

Start Croyle
08-24-2013, 01:15 PM
The danger of walking/biking in urban areas is really exaggerated! You will be fine!

KCUnited
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
I think downtown KC is pretty much at your own risk. I'm always hearing/reading about someone getting street pizza'd by a bus or trash truck or something.

Phobia
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
I only know of 5 bicycle deaths in the metro in the past year. That's probably out of like 200 riders or so.

KCUnited
08-24-2013, 01:35 PM
There was a rape outbreak on the trolley trail a while back as well.

BlackHelicopters
08-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Can't recommend biking in the metro area.

SAUTO
08-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I rode one of those bikes around downtown once. It was ok. But I'm pretty quick to get out of the fucking way. Couple close calls with busses. They just fly over into the lane it seems. On you on no time
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
There are some great bike trails east of Troost.

Titty Meat
08-24-2013, 01:52 PM
You can bike from the plaza to like 103rd on the old trolley trail

JoeyChuckles
08-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Down here in Leawood, there are roaming hoards of bikers out on some of the lesser traveled streets. Not so much in downtown though.

Bugeater
08-24-2013, 03:21 PM
The Indian Creek trail in Johnson County is fucking awesome, I highly recommend it.

58-4ever
08-24-2013, 03:49 PM
The Indian Creek trail in Johnson County is ****ing awesome, I highly recommend it.

So is the Tomahawk Trail

Mojo Jojo
08-24-2013, 03:56 PM
It's not a bad city to bike around...Plaza can be crazy with all the traffic. The bike trails in JOCO and the one at 103rd/State Line are awesome to ride.

Ace Gunner
08-24-2013, 04:01 PM
During my planning for my first trip to KC in late Sept, I noticed that they have a lot of bicycle sharing programs all over the city including one right next to my hotel.

My question is a simple one: is downtown KC a bike friendly place or am I taking my life in my hands at 50 years old riding a bike around town?

Also, do they have any bike trails created from old railroad tracks or around any lakes or scenic drives downtown?

Any help appreciated, especially if you used the B-cycle share program.

I'm not going to rent a car so one day on a bike seems like a fun way to explore the city.

yes, KC is biker friendly.

biker presence here. and there are a lot of city bikes around.

I couldn't tell you what trails or rides are cool, but the museum is a good ride from uptown. pretty much just down main st and take a left for a few blocks.