PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: New Chiefs linebacker Dezman Moses took advantage of KC connection

Tribal Warfare
09-03-2013, 12:20 AM
New Chiefs linebacker Dezman Moses took advantage of KC connection (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/02/4453299/new-chiefs-linebacker-dezman-moses.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Linebacker Dezman Moses was surprised he was released by the Green Bay Packers in the final roster cutdown, but he knew he had a lifeline in Kansas City.

Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, as director of football operations at Green Bay, brought Moses to the Packers as a college free agent last year. And when the Packers released Moses last weekend, it was Dorsey who quickly claimed him off waivers for the Chiefs.

“I was hoping,” Moses said of his chance to join the Chiefs. “I spoke with John Dorsey throughout last year. He gave me an opportunity there, and I’m very excited he gave me another opportunity here.”

Of the seven players the Chiefs claimed off waivers, Moses would appear to be the most ready to contribute. As a rookie last season, Moses replaced injured starter Clay Matthews and started the last six games at outside linebacker and had four sacks in a 3-4 defense that is similar to the Chiefs’ scheme.

He also was a regular on special teams and recovered a punt for a touchdown and pounced on a muffed punt in a playoff game against Minnesota.

It’s why Moses was surprised the Packers let him go in the final roster cutdown.

“But it’s part of the business,” he said. “Everything happens for a reason. This is the NFL. There’s always competition. It’s the way things fell for me. I’m excited to be here with a new team and a fresh start.”

Moses joins former Packers teammate Frank Zombo, who signed with the Chiefs as a free agent, as backup outside linebackers. That should help Moses make the transition easier.

“He can (hold down) the edge, he can rush the passer a little bit, and play on special teams,” Dorsey said of Moses. “He’s what you want in that position. Plus he’s young, he’s only 24.”

Injury report

Guard Jon Asamoah (calf), linebacker Nico Johnson (ankle) and defensive back Sanders Commings (collarbone) did not practice on Monday.

Defensive end Allen Bailey was excused for personal reasons.

Number changes

Three players changed uniform numbers for the regular season. Wide receiver A.J. Jenkins is now No. 15; defensive end Mike Catapano is No. 77; and linebacker Josh Martin is No. 95.

keg in kc
09-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Huh, they left Junior with 88. I thought that would change for some reason.

Discuss Thrower
09-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Damnit o was hoping Bray would switch to 8 just so I could laugh at Tomahawk for ordering a jersey wayyyyy too early.

Direckshun
09-03-2013, 12:31 AM
It's pretty obvious that they are thrilled with Catapano's play at DE.

He is not an OLB in this defense anymore. He is a slightly undersized, but super athletic and super strong DE.

the Talking Can
09-03-2013, 04:50 AM
He also was a regular on special teams and recovered a punt for a touchdown and pounced on a muffed punt in a playoff game against Minnesota.

i'm surprised that GB cut an Ace Gunner

ForeverChiefs58
09-03-2013, 06:35 AM

Its obvious the green bay packers know nothing about position value. Right tackle and an Ace Gunner is 1st overall material.

chop
09-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Play nice:D

Dunerdr
09-03-2013, 06:51 AM

It used to be a special trained ace gunners world and we were all just living in it. But that is no longer, thanks a lot osamA bin dorsey.

Rasputin
09-03-2013, 07:27 AM
I'd put Dezman Moses in at FB so he can part the sea for JC to run through. No one could stop us.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Tyson Jackson should be ashamed that we're bringing in an undrafted 2nd year player that was cut with more sacks than he has in his career.

tecumseh
09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Tyson Jackson should be ashamed that we're bringing in an undrafted 2nd year player that was cut with more sacks than he has in his career.

The pressure game begins.

MotherfuckerJones
09-03-2013, 08:18 AM
This was the pickup I'm excited about most

Rasputin
09-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Who needs Tim Tebow when you can have Moses? o:-)

Ace Gunner
09-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Damnit o was hoping Bray would switch to 8 just so I could laugh at Tomahawk for ordering a jersey wayyyyy too early.

:LOL:

jspchief
09-03-2013, 08:30 AM
What about this guy makes him worthy of his own article?

"GM brings in guy from old team" isn't exactly a new concept.

buddha
09-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Moses is a damn good LB. This is a good pick up.

chiefzilla1501
09-03-2013, 08:40 AM

He's not even close to being a gunner. If you're going to be a dick, at least stop making dumb comments like that.

Secondly... that's good that he can play special teams. I want quality depth guys who can play special teams, which was my original point before you decided to wildly exaggerate my comments. Most of your 45 - 53 roster guys should. You didn't see me pushing for Hartman and Copper, who are also special teams "aces."

Halfcan
09-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Another special teams stud- Love it!

Mr. Laz
09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Packersification of the Chiefs in building steam

The tree ....

O.city
09-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Packersification of the Chiefs in building steam

The tree ....

After looking around the league, I think this is just something that always happens with a new GM, HC etc.

I think Pioli went overboard with it, but it happens.

Mr. Laz
09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
After looking around the league, I think this is just something that always happens with a new GM, HC etc.

I think Pioli went overboard with it, but it happens.

it does always happen

people were just being silly about Pioli

BlackHelicopters
09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
The tomb of Hades, lit by flickering torchlight
The nether world is gathered in the glare
Prince By-Tor takes the cavern to the north light
The sign of Eth is rising in the air.
By-Tor, knight of darkness,
Centurion of evil, devil's prince.

The Franchise
09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
What about this guy makes him worthy of his own article?

"GM brings in guy from old team" isn't exactly a new concept.

He's actually a damn good signing.

RealSNR
09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
The difference here is Moses actually did something with the old team.

Pioli always brought in garbage guys like Ryan O'Callaghan

thabear04
09-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Huh, they left Junior with 88. I thought that would change for some reason.

He had that number since last year but to me I think he should take #81 since its free now. But I guess once Tony retire they will retire his jersey too. Also I wish they would retire Marcus Allen jersey.

thabear04
09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Who needs Tim Tebow when you can have Moses? o:-)

:thumb::LOL: ROFL

jspchief
09-03-2013, 02:52 PM
He's actually a damn good signing.Really? Why did the Packers release him then, in favor of 2 guys no one has heard of? It wasn't money. He was probably playing for the minimum.

I know he played last year. But he played because GB had no one else. I keep seeing people excited about this, but I'm not sure I get where it is coming from.

philfree
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM
So we replaced Ed Jones with Moses. :shrug:

Sandy Vagina
09-03-2013, 03:01 PM
It's pretty obvious that they are thrilled with Catapano's play at DE.

He is not an OLB in this defense anymore. He is a slightly undersized, but super athletic and super strong DE.

I was hoping SF would draft Catapano to be the heir apparent (best case) to Justin Smith. So, I was a little surprised to hear that they were looking at him early on as a rush LB. Someone here stated that he bulked up to 280 already. He did look like he belonged in preseason, and I hope he can be your Justin someday down the line. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2013, 04:33 PM
This was the pickup I'm excited about most

It's a good pickup.

beach tribe
09-03-2013, 04:43 PM
He had that number since last year but to me I think he should take #81 since its free now. But I guess once Tony retire they will retire his jersey too. Also I wish they would retire Marcus Allen jersey.

Of all the Chiefs that should have their jersey retired, Allen, although I love him, is not one of them.

beach tribe
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
I adopted Moses.
Seriously, what a great pickup from final cuts.

Direckshun
09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I was hoping SF would draft Catapano to be the heir apparent (best case) to Justin Smith. So, I was a little surprised to hear that they were looking at him early on as a rush LB. Someone here stated that he bulked up to 280 already. He did look like he belonged in preseason, and I hope he can be your Justin someday down the line. :D

He played very well in the preseason.

Hell, he might make his way onto subpackages if Allen Bailey doesn't step up.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I adopted Moses.
Seriously, what a great pickup from final cuts.

If we sign anyone named "Isaac Hayes", I call dibs on adoption right now.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I remember a Chiefs' kick returned named Moses a few years ago that didn't make the 53. Threads were on FIRE!!!

Titty Meat
09-03-2013, 11:06 PM
I remember a Chiefs' kick returned named Moses a few years ago that didn't make the 53. Threads were on FIRE!!!

JJ Moses if I recall. Competed against Dante Hall for returner

Tribal Warfare
09-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Really? Why did the Packers release him then, in favor of 2 guys no one has heard of? It wasn't money. He was probably playing for the minimum.

I know he played last year. But he played because GB had no one else. I keep seeing people excited about this, but I'm not sure I get where it is coming from.

played in 6 games, and got 4 sacks during that period