PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 10 Things I Learned About Being a General Manager (written by Scott Pioli)

Quesadilla Joe
09-04-2013, 08:18 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/04/10-things-i-learned-about-being-a-general-manager/

By Scott Pioli

1. I learned that the title “general manager” is actually a very accurate name for the role because of the wide variety of tasks you do every day. Less time is spent doing the job you fell in love with, which in my case is the purity of the game and competition. A general manager’s duties differ from team to team, based on the hierarchy in the organizational structure. Regardless, much more of a GM’s time is spent managing situations, crises and circumstances involving the players, coaches and everyone else in the football operation. Once in my tenure, we had to advise a player to disassociate himself from friends who were living with him. They were raising pit bulls on his property—very aggressive pit bulls. He did not want the dogs on his property, but didn’t know how to get rid of the dogs or his friends. We had to help him solve both problems and that was not an easy task. It cost us at least 10 hours of work, the equivalent of a full day we could have been spending trying to make our team better. It also cost the player a lot of money.

During my first season we had a player make comments via Twitter that were terribly offensive. This was back in 2009, when Twitter wasn’t as huge as it is now. So our PR chief (no pun intended) first had to explain to me what a “tweet” was. The player’s comments had apparently “gone viral’’ (another new phrase for me) and we had big problems. The time lost due to meetings and phone calls and diplomacy was three to four hours a day for about a week, but that wasn’t the end of it. The player filed a grievance that unfairly cost the organization and me at least another 40 hours in prep time for the hearing, and time spent with in-house and league attorneys, and with owner Clark Hunt. Think of that: A tweet cost us a good week of work time.

These are just two examples of the dozens and dozens of situations that take a lot of time and energy away from a general manager doing his football job. Most remain behind closed doors and never make it to the public. However, they can create enormous distractions.

2. I understand much better that the sport of football is no longer just a game. It is entertainment. I am an old football soul and I ignored this reality for a long time. Too long, actually. Aside from NFL Films and game day broadcasts during my years as a fan, I have always loved the competitive element, the day-to-day culture and the brotherhood of the team more than the entertainment component. However, I can no longer ignore the place that football resides in our culture as entertainment.

Those of us inside of the football world live in a bubble and we often hide from the entertainment element. It is something we try to avoid because of the distractions it can create for our coworkers and, truthfully, ourselves. Yet, at times, we succumb to its allure and nibble on the cheese. The entertainment industry has added another layer of maintenance that did not used to exist. It has been a blessing—and a curse for the game when not handled appropriately.

On February 1, 2004, one of the great Super Bowls in NFL history was played in Houston. I was with the Patriots, and we beat Carolina. The story lines in the game were plentiful, including the one about Brian Kinchen, the Patriots’ long-snapper on the game’s final play who had been retired for three seasons before I called him a month earlier, in need of a snapper. We talked him away from his job as a junior high school Bible teacher. But the bigger story after the game was one of the halftime entertainment and the infamous “wardrobe malfunction.’’ Most of the world still doesn’t know the Brian Kinchen story, the kind of story that oozes everything good about the game. He’s not Janet Jackson, so the story went untold. However: After working as a GM for four years, though I may not like it, I do understand the entertainment facet has helped the game grow into the greatest game in the land.

3. We are in an age when the degree of accountability of the general manager is now closer to that of the head coach. GMs are no longer permanent employees; they are temporary employees. The clock is ticking much faster today for GMs than at any other time in NFL history. You might be surprised to hear me say this, but I believe that’s the way it should be. I’ve always felt there should be a closer degree of accountability between the GM and the head coach for the results of the football operation. That now exists.

4. Every day a GM is on the job, more than five things are going to cross his desk that he didn’t expect. Bill Parcells told me right after I took the Chiefs job: “Every day there will be five things that happen that you didn’t plan on happening.” Bill also mentioned this in his Hall of Fame speech. I wish that his estimate of only five a day were more accurate!

For instance, on a day in late January 2012, I had just received some medical information on two of our players that I was not expecting, and we also received news about one of our players who was involved in a legal issue (one I can’t discuss) that could have turned very serious. Just when I thought to myself, This is one of those days that you can’t explain to people, offensive line coach Bill Muir walked into coach Romeo Crennel’s office and announced his retirement. Bill Muir is one of the finest football coaches I’ve ever been around, and we knew trying to replace a coach and a man like him was going to be nearly impossible. Nearly every day as a GM is a lesson in changing on the fly.

5. I learned that the BIG business of football is here to stay and it will only grow while continuing to change leadership dynamics within organizations. Fortunately, I have worked for two franchises and owners who understand the natural internal divide between football and business. However, I have witnessed friends deal with this dynamic that fosters internal politicking and reveals insecurities on both sides of an organization.

The football side creates a constant drain on an owner’s finances. We are walking expenses. Most of the time we approach an owner with something that is going to cost him money: signing a player, hiring a new assistant coach, hiring a new scout, requesting new technology, new video, new equipment for player performance. Everything we do costs the owner money. The business side is charged with generating revenue so the entire business can operate, including the football side.

Very often people on the business side of an organization have similar backgrounds to the owner. They speak in a language much more familiar to an owner. An owner might be more naturally inclined to gravitate toward the revenue-generators, and that can fuel insecurity on the football side. However, owners love the allure of the sport. This is why they own teams. The owner’s passion for the game of football and desire to be close to the gladiator component feeds the insecurities of the business side.

Often, the two sides are trying to poke one another in the eye or win favor in the eyes of the owner behind closed doors. The relationship between business and football is one of interdependence and the two sides truly need one another in today’s NFL.

6. Agents, at least some of them, are not as bad as they are made out to be. There are a lot of agents with genuine integrity and they are an important balance on the scales. The agents I respect? Those who care about a player’s future when they’re finished earning 3% of the player’s income. In New England, we were always among the NFL leaders in players with college degrees and/or working toward degrees. It was also a point of emphasis in Kansas City. During the 2011 lockout, we had almost as many players enrolled in continuing education classes, working toward their degrees, than the other 31 teams combined. This could not have been accomplished without the assistance of several agents who pushed their players back to college, to do something constructive during the lockout.

7. I learned that there are additional ways for the NFL, the players, the teams and the NFLPA to collaborate better on behalf of the greater good—and not just as a PR platform. There are too many programs and seminars that are more about sizzle than substance. Sometimes people need to simply lay down their arms and do the right thing. As Bob Berg wrote in his book, The Go-Giver: “Most of the time, what people call ‘win-win’ is really just a disguised way of keeping track—of keeping score. Stop keeping score.” We all need to take the risk of trying to do the right thing and understand that we may end up looking foolish at times in the process.

8. The impact of Fantasy Football has shifted fan reaction and behavior in a way that makes it much more difficult for fans to understand the real jobs of a GM and coach. A large number of fans want NFL teams to be built “fantasy style” with top name players and top stats players. Over the last 10 years, I can’t tell you how many times I have heard comments from fans about the lack of opportunities that “their” players were getting. I’m sure Fantasy Football is good for the business of football, but it’s not good for players to hear they should be getting the ball more—or for teams just trying to do whatever it takes to win a game, not just compile stats.

9. One big lesson I’ve tried to pass on: When you sign up to be a GM, for better and for worse, you sign your family up as well. They get dragged into every good thing and every bad thing that you are a part of. NFL kids are blessed with privilege and opportunity. However, they will also be exposed to the ugly underbelly of our society and they will experience things that children shouldn’t have to. My 10-year-old daughter has been standing with me and heard adults say unconscionable things to me.

This past spring I was asked to speak during the NFL’s Career Development Symposium for potential NFL head coaches and GMs at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business. It is a great place for sharing and learning. My message to the group was short and pointed. I told the people in the room about some of my specific mistakes and miscalculations. For example, I told them that I was naive to not understand that part of the job description of a GM included being one of the media faces of the organization. In my previous experiences, the head coach, the players and the owner filled that role. I was wrong. The game has changed and the appetite for content and the desire for faces and voices is insatiable, and I should have been more out front with the Chiefs. I also said I had a great job with a historic Kansas City franchise that I loved, in a city that I love. However, it takes a great human toll on you and a greater toll on your loved ones. I told them to be sure they understand this when they sign the contract to take one of these great 32 jobs. You’re signing other people up, too.

10. One of the most important things that was reinforced to me over the last four years is this: Football is the best teacher of any sport in the world. It teaches us about teamwork and about ourselves. It can also reach the public in profound ways. In May 2010 a catastrophic EF5 tornado ripped through Joplin, Mo., killing 158 people and destroying everything in its path. At the time, the NFL and the NFLPA were in the middle of a lockout and an ugly battle against one another. However, both sides ceased the temporary madness and came together for the greater good of an NFL community. The players and the Chiefs organization came together for the people of Joplin. We worked together to clean and rebuild. Some of our work was simply hugging them and showing our support, just like they had shown us for years at Arrowhead.

Brock
09-04-2013, 08:25 AM
11. Thank god for Tom Brady.

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
12. I was the worst GM in the league and was rightly fired.

MMXcalibur
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
10 Things Chief Fans Liked About Scott Pioli

1) ......let's see....number 1........hmmmmmmmmm....

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 08:27 AM
not a single word about failing at everything

gblowfish
09-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Hey, what's with all this "Ten Things" crap????

RealSNR
11. People in Kansas City love their candy bars

-King-
What was the tweet in 2009?
Posted via Mobile Device

MMXcalibur
Also, I like how you highlighted the part where Chief fans were saying mean things, as if that makes your shit fanbase look even better.

You're such a twat, KnowMo.

KC_Lee
09-04-2013, 08:29 AM
13) Candy wrappers are more important than the sinking ship of a team that you helped create.

chiefzilla1501
09-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

The first thing that came to my mind was either Bowe's "no homo" comment or the stuff in SI about importing women, or whatever he called it.

Molitoth
09-04-2013, 08:32 AM
As much as I hate the JOB Pioli did, I don't hate him as a person just for being terrible at his job.

This statement was nice:
"During the 2011 lockout, we had almost as many players enrolled in continuing education classes, working toward their degrees, than the other 31 teams combined."

gblowfish
09-04-2013, 08:33 AM
When you go 2-14, you should expect your daughter to hear some bad words uttered about her daddy. I'm sure the millions of dollars paid for your employment will purchase some quality therapy for your entire family.

DJ's left nut
09-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Wow.

After the first bullet point, I had to stop reading.

This really is a 14 paragraph excuse, isn't it?

What an incredible motherfucker.

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Newest | Oldest
matt_cassell
matt_cassell just now

He should talk about trading for me, a failure. Or his draft picks - all failures. Or the Chiefs record - huge failure. Or his success at picking up gum wrappers while also being the most embarrassing failure of a GM in the league.

He stole Clark's money and gave it to me. Thanks Scott!

that took 9 seconds...

gblowfish
09-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I wonder if he dictated this into the secret microphone placed in his desk?

Frazod
09-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Also, I like how you highlighted the part where Chief fans were saying mean things, as if that makes your shit fanbase look even better.

This. I assume nobody threw batteries at him.

Phobia
TLDR

RealSNR

"We deserve better" is a thickening thing to say to a man

siberian khatru
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
No. 1 might've been easier if he hadn't have focused on candy wrappers and closing blinds.

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
peter king and pioli like to scissor...

siberian khatru
09-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Translated: I was in over my head.

Intended message to rest of league: I've learned from my mistakes. Hire me!

Ace Gunner
09-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Hey, what's with all this "Ten Things" crap????

copyright infringement -- I'd be royally pissed if I were you

BigMeatballDave
09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Yes. He's worse than a fucking 12 yr old girl.

Troll extraordinare.

Frosty
09-04-2013, 08:49 AM
And not a word was said about actually acquiring good players. :shake:

mdchiefsfan
09-04-2013, 08:53 AM
10 things I will say I've learned..... Hire me?

Lightrise
09-04-2013, 09:06 AM
This tells me that Pioli had no business in the job in the first place. All of these things, every single one of them, should have been completely understood before hand with a plan to manage them. I liked Haley frankly, and it is obvious to me that Pioli was always the problem here. I still doubt that even if he now understands these issues that he will be able to develop strategies to manage them. I think that gig is over for him, forever.

I must say that I think Hunt figured this out by dividing responsibilities. A coach would have to be crazy to want full control anymore. An owner giving it is crazier still.

cabletech94
09-04-2013, 09:12 AM
peter king and pioli like to scissor...

quite a bit, actually.....;)

seaofred
09-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking some of the Larry Johnson tweets.

gblowfish
09-04-2013, 09:21 AM
4 years of draft choices, only guys still on the roster:

2009:
Tyson Jackson, Ryan Succop (his first and last pick in 2009)

2010: Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Jon Asamoah, Kendrick Lewis.

2011: Rodney Hudson, Justin Houston, Allen Bailey.

2012: Dontari Poe, Jeff Allen, Donald Stephenson, Cyrus Gray, Junior Hemmingway.

So in four year, Pioli drafted 31 players. In four years only 14 stuck. Not too good, eh?

The Franchise
09-04-2013, 09:21 AM
10 Things Chief Fans Liked About Scott Pioli

1) ......let's see....number 1........hmmmmmmmmm....

He drafted Justin Houston.

Rain Man
09-04-2013, 09:25 AM
And not a word was said about actually acquiring good players. :shake:

I kept expecting to read a lesson that said, "If you put a winning team on the field, fans like you a lot more than if you put a losing team on the field."

Rain Man
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I bet Matt Cassel was the guy with the pit bull problem.

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
it's telling for many obvious reasons, but most of his complaints boil down to his time being wasted...he's a control freak, obsessed with 'order' for reasons having nothing to do with actually being good at his job (winning)...

and he still doesn't get it, at all

ThatRaceCardGuy
09-04-2013, 09:33 AM
He was awesome at not being awesome.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Piece of crap troll

Frosty
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
it's telling for many obvious reasons, but most of his complaints boil down to his time being wasted...he's a control freak, obsessed with 'order' for reasons having nothing to do with actually being good at his job (winning)...

Exactly. I really wanted to read "I completely suck at player evaluation".

Rasputin
09-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Jason Witlock was right to call him Scott Egoli. I never cared for Jason W. but he pegged him from the beginning.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Flacco gonna rape that overrated secondary once again.

KCrockaholic
09-04-2013, 09:42 AM
And he still hasn't learned his lesson with Matt Cassel.

RealSNR
09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Flacco gonna rape that overrated secondary once again.

The pass rush will be so non-existent that Michael Oher will call Sandra Bullock at halftime and tell her he doesn't need her any more.

BlackHelicopters
09-04-2013, 09:44 AM
14) I am a frackin genius.

Rasputin
09-04-2013, 09:46 AM
And he still hasn't learned his lesson with Matt Cassel.

The Vikings are going to learn a valuable lesson real soon anything happen to Ponder via bench or injury.

Strongside
09-04-2013, 09:46 AM
11) Don't fuck with Kansas City.

BlackHelicopters
09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Biggest egomaniac we may ever see.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
The pass rush will be so non-existent that Michael Oher will call Sandra Bullock at halftime and tell her he doesn't need her any more.

:LOL: Nice. It was non existent with VonDumb

Chief_For_Life58
09-04-2013, 09:59 AM
this guy just doesnt fucking get it does he. jesus

BlackHelicopters
09-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Who is the top and who is the bottom in the Scott Pioli/Peter King relationship?

Red Gorilla
09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Let it die.

pr_capone
09-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Who is the top and who is the bottom in the Scott Pioli/Peter King relationship?

That is the confusing part of their relationship... they are both bottoms.

Bearcat
09-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Yep... I guess we already knew after the KC Star articles, but seeing him explain it is even worse. Sixty freakin' hours on a tweet? Hey Scott, why not ask around the league to see if other GMs spend an entire week putting out fires like that, instead of spending maybe a total of an hour or two delegating/following up?

He's the Michael Scott of the NFL... Conference room, everyone! We're going to learn about Twitter!

DaWolf
09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
And that's why he failed. Nothing about making sure you have a good QB, about making sure you are on the same page as the coach you hire, or about drafting guys who can actually play. I saw him mention in that article numerous times that football is more about entertainment than he realized and he needed to heed that better. That goes back to the delusion he had that he just needed to be more media savvy to have saved his job that he mentioned months ago when he took on the media role he has now...

saphojunkie
If I am a team owner, I read this article and realize this asshole didn't learn one valuable lesson.

CoMoChief
In that first paragraph alone you can tell that he worried about things that he really didn't need to handle, which caused him to miss X amount of hours of work. See he knows the number of hours he wasted like the back of his hand, but he didn't focus on the things that mattered the most, like QB play. Another reason he failed is that Pioli never admits he made a mistake w/ Cassel. In this entire list he still really doesn't admit his catastrophic failures. He points blame to others. For instance the pit bull thing. WTF is he doing getting caught up in that mess? Tell this anonymous player that raising a bunch of aggressive pit bulls is fucking stupid and could possibly/eventually get him kicked out of the league, or at least in trouble w/ the law.

The best thing he could have ever done while in KC, and probably would have saved him his job, was to cut his losses w/ Matt Cassel after 2011. We should have sucked for Luck if you will, and we'd be sitting pretty right now, probably SB contenders, and Pioli would probably still have a job and most people would think he was God because we finally drafted a franchise QB.

Overall it sounds like he wasn't at all prepared to handle this type of job, and he excelled in a position that required him to answer to other people and not as much responsibility rested on him. Over in New England, Bill Belichick runs that fucking show. Always has, and always will, or at least until Brady retires, which at that point Belichik should probably retire too, unless Ryan Mallett plans on being some kinda superstar. You see that since Pioli left, the Pats haven't really skipped a beat. No they haven't won any SB's, but they've won their division and have repeatedly gone to the playoffs.

saphojunkie
09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Let it die.

Your chiefsplanet membership?

Gladly.

BlackHelicopters
09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Any insight on the 2009 tweet?

DaWolf
09-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Any insight on the 2009 tweet?

Wouldn't that be the whole Larry Johnson fiasco?

Sorce
09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Were these the tweets?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/10/ljtweet1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/10/ljtweet3.jpg

TribalElder
09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
what not to do, a manifesto by scooter pioli

Red Gorilla
09-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Your chiefsplanet membership?

Gladly.

It's sad Pioli still has so many completely consumed with him imo. Why even talk about him?

Radar Chief
09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
So I’m listening to sports radio yesterday and they mentioned that of the 53 man roster there are only 16 Pioli draft picks left. Yea, IDGAF “what he learned”, just stay away from the Chiefs. Far, far away.

WhiteWhale
09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Were these the tweets?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/10/ljtweet1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/10/ljtweet3.jpg

Pretty sure the tweets Pioli is referencing involved him saying the word pillowbitergot.

But... you know... not the one the filter posts.

DaWolf
09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
In that first paragraph alone you can tell that he worried about things that he really didn't need to handle, which caused him to miss X amount of hours of work. See he knows the number of hours he wasted like the back of his hand, but he didn't focus on the things that mattered the most, like QB play. Another reason he failed is that Pioli never admits he made a mistake w/ Cassel. In this entire list he still really doesn't admit his catastrophic failures. He points blame to others. For instance the pit bull thing. WTF is he doing getting caught up in that mess? Tell this anonymous player that raising a bunch of aggressive pit bulls is ****ing stupid and could possibly/eventually get him kicked out of the league, or at least in trouble w/ the law.

The best thing he could have ever done while in KC, and probably would have saved him his job, was to cut his losses w/ Matt Cassel after 2011. We should have sucked for Luck if you will, and we'd be sitting pretty right now, probably SB contenders, and Pioli would probably still have a job and most people would think he was God because we finally drafted a franchise QB.

Overall it sounds like he wasn't at all prepared to handle this type of job, and he excelled in a position that required him to answer to other people and not as much responsibility rested on him. Over in New England, Bill Belichick runs that ****ing show. Always has, and always will, or at least until Brady retires, which at that point Belichik should probably retire too, unless Ryan Mallett plans on being some kinda superstar. You see that since Pioli left, the Pats haven't really skipped a beat. No they haven't won any SB's, but they've won their division and have repeatedly gone to the playoffs.

The impression I get of Pioli is that he is probably a good lieutenant, the type of guy who excels when you give him a set scope of what you would like him to do and take all the outside distractions away from him. Pioli is not a good leader. That's why I think he was effective in New England, because he knew what Belichick wanted him to do, he would be focused on that aspect of the job, and left everything else to Belichick and Kraft.

I think a lot of this is also on Clark Hunt and the way he ran the franchise a few years ago. He just basically handed the reigns over and let the guy do what he wanted, and didn't take the bulls by the horn and set the tone himself. That's why I think Kraft is such a good owner, because he is involved and he sets a tone for the franchise, but he also knows a good leader and puts them in place to lead (Belichick). Luckily, it looks like Clark is willing to learn from his mistakes and take the steps to improve that aspect of how he runs a franchise.

Based on his comments about the business vs football side, I wouldn't be surprised if that is why Denny Thum got pushed out. Pioli won that power struggle...

Brock
09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
It's sad Pioli still has so many completely consumed with him imo. Why even talk about him?

Yeah, why talk about the recent history of the team? It bears no relevance to where we are today. Facepalm

Sorter
09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
37) If you give a Belcher a pistol, he's going to want some milk.

KCGal
09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I love how he still has tracked the exact number of hours that distracted him from being a good GM. As if it wasn't for those 40 hours identified above we would have went to the Super Bowl!

He sounds like a kid at his first job who can't believe 1) there is crap work in every job and 2) every one isn't automatically realizing how amazing he is.

He makes my skin crawl even in print.

Barf.

RealSNR
09-04-2013, 11:17 AM
37) If you give a Belcher a pistol, he's going to want some milk.

In 2012 I had a Belcher whose name I can not say who killed his girlfriend, then committed suicide right in front of me in the parking lot of the Arrowhead Stadium facilities.

FYP.

RealSNR
09-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Also, you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Sorter again

Sorter
09-04-2013, 11:20 AM
FYP.

I giggled extensively.

L.A. Chieffan
09-04-2013, 11:21 AM
What a fucking blowhard

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
He's the Michael Scott of the NFL... Conference room, everyone! We're going to learn about Twitter!

ha, that is spot on

el borracho
09-04-2013, 11:36 AM
One thing Pioli should have, but didn't, learn about being a general manager:

1. It's not for everybody

If this dummy would have spent more time acquiring a franchise qb and a legit head coach and had delegated the twitter/ candy wrappers/ bullshit to assistants he would have been a lot better off.

Halfcan
09-04-2013, 11:40 AM
blah blah blah

please die now

themanwithnoname
09-04-2013, 11:48 AM
So, he felt that the coach and players were supposed to be the face to the media but then put fucking gag orders on them so they could only say what Pioli wanted them to say?

How fucking just completely out of touch with reality is this jackass?

Pretty sure the tweets Pioli is referencing involved him saying the word pillowbitergot.

But... you know... not the one the filter posts.

Yeah I'm fairly certain it was the Larry Johnson tweets with the fans.

FYP.

:D

Bugeater
09-04-2013, 11:54 AM
The one thing I learned about being a general manager is...you suck at it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2013, 12:01 PM
He'll never own Cassel.

Pathetic.

Dayze
09-04-2013, 12:02 PM
11. No matter how tasty it sounds, do not drink an AIDS milkshake.

DJJasonp
09-04-2013, 01:56 PM
1 - 10: Don't trade for a one year wonder at QB who wasnt good enough to start in college, and sign him to a long term deal before he ever takes a snap for your team.

Here endeth the lesson.

Easy 6
09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Jason Witlock was right to call him Scott Egoli. I never cared for Jason W. but he pegged him from the beginning.

Yep, and Jwhit took a lot of abuse for it.

He knew all along.

What an awful era, so glad its over, this guy was the biggest piece of crap GM i've ever seen... sticking with cassel for so long alone, should prevent him from ever regaining that title.

gblowfish
09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
What an awful era, so glad its over, this guy was the biggest piece of crap GM i've ever seen... sticking with cassel for so long alone, should prevent him from ever regaining that title.

You could argue that Jack Steadman was worse. But it would be a close race.

mcaj22
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
this is a real thing

holy fuck

ReynardMuldrake
09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
As always, everything is about making himself look good. What an arrogant, small-minded little fuckstain this guy is.

Even by football GM standards, Pioli stands out as a self-obsessed cunt.

Easy 6
09-04-2013, 03:39 PM
You could argue that Jack Steadman was worse. But it would be a close race.

I was but a neophyte during that time, but its hard to imagine anyone worse than pioli.

eDave
09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Translated: I was in over my head.

Intended message to rest of league: I've learned from my mistakes. Hire me!

Nothing wrong with that.

DeezNutz
09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
11. You can't buffalo KC because they'll run your incompetent ass right out of town.

Easy 6
09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
11. You can't buffalo KC because they'll run your incompetent ass right out of town.

:thumb:

dallaschiefsfan
09-04-2013, 04:03 PM
All I read is a guy that didn't know how to do his job. Much of what he says can be managed around, starting with his first point. Delegate. Empower. Worry about what you get paid for...delegate everything else that's non-essential to you keeping your job.

Don't have your daughter by your side in situations you don't control (fans - rude ones included - are not controllable in what they might say). That was his own fault. I wouldn't put my daughter in multiple situations for my work. Why should Pioli be special and be allowed to take his daughter anywhere?!?

I could go on...but yeah...nothing but a bag of reasons he's a terrible GM and leader.

Frosty
09-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Translation: I was in completely over my head and ran the franchise into the ground but - thanks for the huge check, Clark! :thumb:

dallaschiefsfan
09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
I have to imagine that the competent GM's around the league are reading this going, "What the he!! is he talking about?!?"

mcaj22
09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
insert Pioli-Greg Schiano .gif

Red Gorilla
09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
All I read is a guy that didn't know how to do his job. Much of what he says can be managed around, starting with his first point. Delegate. Empower. Worry about what you get paid for...delegate everything else that's non-essential to you keeping your job.

Great post. The #1 job of a general manager is putting your people in a position to succeed. He wanted to control everything.

09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Number ONE

I fucking hate planes.

Rasputin
09-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Yep, and Jwhit took a lot of abuse for it.

He knew all along.

Most people were just so happy to get rid of Carl Peterson that we would have been happy to hire a circus monkey. Would have had same or better results.

Easy 6
09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Most people were just so happy to get rid of Carl Peterson that we would have been happy to hire a circus monkey. Would have had same or better results.

Yep, and i'm guilty as hell about it.

Its like going from Bush to Obama and thinking you're finally free...

the Talking Can
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM

yessir

KCrockaholic
09-04-2013, 04:48 PM
I have to imagine that the competent GM's around the league are reading this going, "What the he!! is he talking about?!?"

Most of what he said is probably agreed upon by most GM's. But those competent GM's that you mentioned are sitting there thinking to themselves Pioli needed more than a list of 10 things that he learned.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Peter King must give great head since he continues to give Scotty a voice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
4 years of draft choices, only guys still on the roster:

2009:
Tyson Jackson, Ryan Succop (his first and last pick in 2009)

2010: Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Jon Asamoah, Kendrick Lewis.

2011: Rodney Hudson, Justin Houston, Allen Bailey.

2012: Dontari Poe, Jeff Allen, Donald Stephenson, Cyrus Gray, Junior Hemmingway.

So in four year, Pioli drafted 31 players. In four years only 14 stuck. Not too good, eh?

I wonder how this success rate compares to the really good organizations? In fairness, he got some decent players. What he completely failed at was the two most important positions. QB and head coach.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
09-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Pioli was awful obviously, but bad drafting happens across the league. The 9ers have like 2 players from the 2012 draft still in the team.

Rasputin
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
How can a tweet cost an organization four years and $63,000,000.00 on a shitty quarterback?

So he wants to blame Larry Johnson for making him have a shitty football team?

scho63
09-04-2013, 05:08 PM
#11. Hitch your wagon to one super Bowl winning coach while marrying the daughter of another. Nepotism conquers stupidity and failure.

Tribal Warfare
09-04-2013, 05:20 PM
8. The impact of Fantasy Football has shifted fan reaction and behavior in a way that makes it much more difficult for fans to understand the real jobs of a GM and coach. A large number of fans want NFL teams to be built “fantasy style” with top name players and top stats players. Over the last 10 years, I can’t tell you how many times I have heard comments from fans about the lack of opportunities that “their” players were getting. I’m sure Fantasy Football is good for the business of football, but it’s not good for players to hear they should be getting the ball more—or for teams just trying to do whatever it takes to win a game, not just compile stats.

translation: Fuck you, Larry the Janitor for not picking up that snickers wrapper.

Saccopoo
09-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Don't have your daughter by your side in situations you don't control (fans - rude ones included - are not controllable in what they might say). That was his own fault. I wouldn't put my daughter in multiple situations for my work. Why should Pioli be special and be allowed to take his daughter anywhere?!?

I could go on...but yeah...nothing but a bag of reasons he's a terrible GM and leader.

Nutshell.

The guy was in over his head and obviously never had the management skills to warrant the GM position. However, he got the job and created a situation of negativism that permeated the entire organization that trickled down to the playing field and subsequently seeped into the stands and fans.

Honestly, I'm pretty embarrassed for the guy and this article. It does nothing more than substantiates his overall incompetency with regards to the General Manager position and how he still remains oblivious to the fact that he simply didn't have the skills to gain the respect of the people within the organization and lead by example. (Something that we are initially seeing with John Dorsey.)

Actually, I'm having to deal with a very similar situation at my own place of employment. A guy got hired to a management position in our company based on his outside resume alone by the owner of the company and it turns out he's basically a fraud. Zero management skills, some of the worst people skills I've ever seen, etc., and has created a overall negative environment where prior it was superb. And because the owner hired him, he'll get every chance in the world and it will take something monumental to get him shit canned. We've had two decent guys quit over it and I'm beginning to price banners...

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Does he garner attention because he's a talking penis? They're really not rare at all, if you just look about a bit.

MotherfuckerJones
09-04-2013, 06:25 PM
#27-suck dick and get away with it/Pioli

Kaepernick
09-04-2013, 06:25 PM
The best business model for a football team is winning, especially championships. Sounds simple, but it is amazing how many short-sighted owners will be penny wise and pound foolish.

Nothing puts butts in the seats, sells merchandise, and puts teams on at prime time like winning.

Owners that haven't figured this out are as bad as problematic stars like Terrell Owens was, stars who demanding top pay, then leave tens of millions of advertising money on the table because businesses don't want to deal with a high-profile douchebag.

ChiliConCarnage
09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Interesting article. Pretty much admits that due to the different mgmt structure at the Patriots he really wasnt prepared to be a GM. He had years of experience but in a vastly different scenario. Doesnt mean it couldn't work but he wasnt up for the task.

Clark made a bad call. At least he spent the money to clean it up.

KCGal
09-04-2013, 07:18 PM
97. I learned that 99% of the people in and around the NFL will continue to kiss my butt because of who my daddy-in-law is.

AussieChiefsFan
09-04-2013, 07:48 PM
11. Clean hallways are more important than winning.

SAUTO
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
97. I learned that 99% of the people in and around the NFL will continue to kiss my butt because of who my daddy-in-law is.

I disagree on the reason.

Its the winning in NE and the executive of the decade award...
Posted via Mobile Device

KCGal
09-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I disagree on the reason.

Its the winning in NE and the executive of the decade award...
Posted via Mobile Device

He was executive of the decade? Well then no doubt he's good at business administration, but he is not a great nfl mind.

How does a man who was terrible at identifying nfl talent (baldwin cassel what's his name) and who avoided the media get a job on tv analyzing the nfl for the masses? I just think he gets more credit than he deserves and being related to parcels doesn't hurt.

Ace Gunner
09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
embrace the suck that is scooter Pioli

Psyko Tek
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
just like his time in KC, nothing said or accomplished, except wasting my time

Psyko Tek
09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
14) I am a frackin genius.

fracking?
the process to allow gas out?

yeah maybe

notorious
09-04-2013, 08:47 PM
New England needs to hire him for GM right after Brady retires.

Pleeeeeeease?

rico
09-04-2013, 08:54 PM
FYP.

LMAO

Dude, I'm tellin' ya...every day, there is always at least 5 things that happen that you don't expect, including, but not limited to watching your linebacker shoot himself in the head after he had murdered his bitch. Ya see, the owners...they aren't involved with that type of shit.....

notorious
09-04-2013, 08:55 PM
We should have hired the plane to fly into Pioli's fucking face.

big nasty kcnut
09-04-2013, 09:01 PM
13. Don't alienate the players from the past because they will look for you they will find you and they will kick the fuck out of you.

saphojunkie
09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
For old times sake...

Peyton Manning

Bugeater
09-04-2013, 09:28 PM
For old times sake...

Peyton Manning
PHM dude.

crossbow
09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Don't know about the ten things he learned but the ONE thing we learned is that he sucked.

Titty Meat
09-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Would love to know what player was about to get into huge legal trouble

Nightfyre
09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Probably Tamba.

RippedmyFlesh
09-04-2013, 10:26 PM
The best business model for a football team is winning championships.

fyp

RippedmyFlesh
09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
8. The impact of Fantasy Football has shifted fan reaction and behavior in a way that makes it much more difficult for fans to understand the real jobs of a GM and coach.

No scotty it just means your ineptitude can be expressed in so many exotic stats these days. Not just loses but why you sucked as a gm.

RippedmyFlesh
09-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Yep, and i'm guilty as hell about it.

Me too. It can't get any worse right? That's how I felt about Carl.
It can always get worse is my life lesson learned.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Pioli was awful obviously, but bad drafting happens across the league. The 9ers have like 2 players from the 2012 draft still in the team.

Here's the rub: that's a much harder roster to make than KC's.

And they added the core of their SB team through the draft. Iupati, Staley, Aldon Smith, Crabtree, Kaepernick, Gore, Davis, Goldson, Bowman, Willis.

They nailed a shitload of players. Yeah, people miss, but the teams who suck and continue to suck whiff in the top 10, like Pioli did, and miss on their 2nd and 3rd rounders, like Pioli did.

BossChief
09-04-2013, 11:01 PM
13. Don't alienate the players from the past because they will look for you they will find you and they will kick the **** out of you.

Hold on.

Did you turn the spell checker on?

rabblerouser
09-05-2013, 12:49 AM
The first thing that came to my mind was either Bowe's "no homo" comment or the stuff in SI about importing women, or whatever he called it.

LJ.

big nasty kcnut
09-05-2013, 02:50 AM
Hold on.

Did you turn the spell checker on?
Nope! why?

Red Dawg
09-05-2013, 04:29 AM
It is really amazing. How many GM's make nothing but bad decisions. He never even got lucky. Other than couple of good draft picks he made all wrong decisions. Proof that Brady is the real Patriot way. Pioli and Bill are not special.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2013, 06:11 AM
@bobfescoe: Oh no, Scott Pioli makes a list...we tell you about it next on @610SportsKC #chiefs

@autumnsjs90: @bobfescoe @610SportsKC a list of ppl he screwed over

Lol Shaun Smith even hates him.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2013, 06:45 AM
The list reads like a list of things a school teacher would complain about, not an NFL GM. Who cares about what someone is writing on twitter. Focus on building a football team.

Ace Gunner
09-05-2013, 06:49 AM
@bobfescoe: Oh no, Scott Pioli makes a list...we tell you about it next on @610SportsKC #chiefs

ROFL

O.city
09-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Here's the rub: that's a much harder roster to make than KC's.

And they added the core of their SB team through the draft. Iupati, Staley, Aldon Smith, Crabtree, Kaepernick, Gore, Davis, Goldson, Bowman, Willis.

They nailed a shitload of players. Yeah, people miss, but the teams who suck and continue to suck whiff in the top 10, like Pioli did, and miss on their 2nd and 3rd rounders, like Pioli did.

I won't argue that, you're right.

But cp seems to think we should hit 6 picks in each draft, and that's jus not feasible

Dinny Bossa Nova
09-05-2013, 07:42 AM
8. The impact of Fantasy Football has shifted fan reaction and behavior in a way that makes it much more difficult for fans to understand the real jobs of a GM and coach.

No scotty it just means your ineptitude can be expressed in so many exotic stats these days. Not just loses but why you sucked as a gm.

Seems to me you just kinda proved his point, Rip.

Dinny

Rausch
09-05-2013, 08:01 AM

But cp seems to think we should hit 6 picks in each draft, and that's jus not feasible

It would be nice to get 1st round talent out of 1st round picks...

the Talking Can
09-05-2013, 08:25 AM

no, CP can look at his drafts and understand objectively how terrible they are

RealSNR
09-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Shaun Smith's just the fucking man.

I don't care how much he sucks. Andy Reid once brought an old and half-dead Hugh Douglas aboard to act as locker room cheerleader. Why couldn't we do the same with Shaun?

"Dontari, look, you're doing a good job with your leverage and all that, but there's a tiny little secret to playing defensive line that you're completely missing out on..."

chiefzilla1501
09-05-2013, 09:36 AM

The drafts should be judged negatively because while other teams were going after quarterbacks and playmakers, we took an incredibly safe approach to drafting guys a half round or a round too early. It's really bad when even your safe picks turn out to be mediocre.

Fish
09-05-2013, 10:29 AM
"Fans hated me because of Fantasy Football."

LMAO...

So glad this butthurt arrogant assclown is out of town.....

crazycoffey
09-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Number 11: "I'm actually not a very good GM."

Red Gorilla
09-05-2013, 11:29 AM
#21 - You can go bald from rubbing your head on the bottom of Clark's desk.

TEX
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Number 11: "I'm actually not a very good GM."

:)

Rams Fan
09-05-2013, 01:46 PM
11. All Tom Brady does is shit unicorns, rainbows, and Skittles.

chiefzilla1501
09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
"Fans hated me because of Fantasy Football."

LMAO...

So glad this butthurt arrogant assclown is out of town.....

I bet this has something to do with people wanting Jamaal Charles to get more carries

DeezNutz
09-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Pioli's bullshit line about fantasy football proves that he still believes in finding "the right 53," so he truly learned absolutely nothing.

He's still an unbelievably stupid motherfucker.

KCrockaholic
09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
"Jamaal needs MOAR carries!" - Fans

"I hate fantasy football" - Scooter