PDA

View Full Version : Football Bruno Mars to be Super Bowl XLVIII halftime performer

tk13
09-07-2013, 12:13 PM
The news ChiefsPlanet has been waiting for.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-bruno-mars-sing-super-bowl-half

NEW YORK (AP) — Grammy-winner Bruno Mars will sing at halftime of the Super Bowl in February, a person familiar with the NFL's entertainment plans told The Associated Press on Saturday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made. The official word is expected to come at an event in New York's Times Square on Sunday.

The NFL's regular season began Thursday, and the first full slate of games is Sunday.

The Super Bowl will be played Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. Halftime shows have drawn more than 100 million television viewers in the United States alone in past years.

Beyonce was the star of this year's Super Bowl halftime show in February in New Orleans, where the Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31.

Some recent halftime performers at the NFL's championship game were Madonna in 2012, The Black Eyed Peas with Usher and Slash in 2011, The Who in 2010, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in 2009.

Mars is one of pop music's top acts, with several No. 1 hits, including his most recent, "When I Was Your Man."

The 27-year-old singer-songwriter-producer was honored for best male video and choreography for "Treasure" at the MTV Video Music Awards last month.

Mars, who was born Peter Hernandez, released his platinum-selling debut, "Doo-Wops & Hooligans," in 2010, and released his second album, "Unorthodox Jukebox," last year. His hits include "Locked Out of Heaven," ''Just the Way You Are" and "Grenade."

Chiefs Pantalones
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I read the other day that he's 5'5. It was interesting because he looks taller than that on tv.

In58men
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I was hoping it would be Miley Cyrus

Bugeater
09-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I already forgot his name.

BryanBusby
09-07-2013, 12:18 PM
who

Sassy Squatch
09-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Oh good. Someone that doesn't need auto tune.

lewdog
09-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Other performers get a nice warm vacation with their Super Bowl performances. But this year, the NFL plans a cold ass Super Bowl. Can't wait to see how they work the snow angels into the show.

Oh and this guys sucks. Big time.

Rasputin
09-07-2013, 12:20 PM
who

The first basemen? Is he even still alive?

Bugeater
09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
who
They did it a few years ago and everybody whined about them, so now we get these lame-ass pop stars.

GloucesterChief
09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I will make a bold prediction: Bruno Mars will not be better then Prince.

BryanBusby
09-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I will make a bold prediction: Bruno Mars will not be better then Prince.

That's not a bold prediction, that's just the truth. Can't top Prince.

Bowser
09-07-2013, 12:40 PM
What, ABBA wasn't available?

Bugeater
09-07-2013, 12:42 PM
What, ABBA wasn't available?
Don't make me kick your ass, Cotton.

rocknrolla
09-07-2013, 12:46 PM
That's not a bold prediction, that's just the truth. Can't top Prince.

That and U2 are the best to date. Never heard of this jerkoff guy.

notorious
09-07-2013, 12:48 PM
There is a half-time show at the Super Bowl?

alnorth
09-07-2013, 12:49 PM
This is gonna be 3 duds in a row. Last halftime show that was even OK was 2010.

alnorth
09-07-2013, 12:50 PM

I actually looked up his most popular song on youtube. This dude can definitely sing, but its just random pop music fluff, not my kinda thing at all.

DaneMcCloud
09-07-2013, 12:51 PM
There is a half-time show at the Super Bowl?

Yeah, who knew?

:shrug:

It's all Pre-recorded, anyway.

It's as live as Memorex.

Ace Gunner
09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
dammit I wanted to see nipple again at h/t

Ace Gunner
09-07-2013, 12:55 PM
see what you won't be missing
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/nPvuNsRccVw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/nPvuNsRccVw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

KCGal
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Used to think he was lame based on his songs but he is definitely talented. He won me over with his SNL pandora skit

http://vimeo.com/m/70732934

LoneWolf
09-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Bruno has a ton of talent. I can't hate on him just because he's a young pop star.

Mr. Wizard
09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
If that little b-tch has a wardrobe malfunction the Mr. Wizard will be pissed.

Frazod
09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I turn the channel during the halftime show, turn it back when its over. I've done that for years.

Pitt Gorilla
09-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Bruno has a ton of talent. I can't hate on him just because he's a young pop star.This. Pop in general is garbage. This guy seems to be quite talented, even if I don't like his music. He reminds me (in some ways) of Michael Jackson.

LoneWolf
09-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I turn the channel during the halftime show, turn it back when its over. I've done that for years.

Halftime is a good time to go to the fridge, get a cold one, and then blast a hole in that motherfucker just to show it who's boss. Amirite?

MMXcalibur
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Bruno Mars.
Mars is a red planet.
The Chiefs are a red team.

CHIEFS MAKING THE SUPER BOWL = CONFIRMED
SEE YOU IN NEW YORK

LoneWolf
09-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Bruno Mars.
Mars is a red planet.

SEE YOU IN NEW YORK

ThigLyfe is gonna be pissed you thought of this first.

BWillie
09-07-2013, 02:47 PM

How have you never heard of Bruno Mars?

ThaVirus
09-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I actually like Bruno Mars and he's given great live performances when we Ive seen him (on tv).

vailpass
09-07-2013, 03:41 PM
He has a bad ass born section. Hope they play live.

dallaschiefsfan
09-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Never heard of him either. Sorry...but don't have time to listen to the radio endlessly anymore.

dallaschiefsfan
09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
It always amazes me that the NFL can screw such a simple thing up. Get a well-known artist that appeals to the masses of your biggest demographic that watches both the SB and the typical regular season games. Practically everyone watches the SB...so why worry about any new demos. Get a band/artist that the typical football fan knows and I might not turn the TV off during the stupid halftime show.

stevieray
09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
OMG!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

dannybcaitlyn
09-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Don't hate. The guy can flat out sing!

dallaschiefsfan
09-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Don't hate. The guy can flat out sing!

I'm sure he's fine. But I'm not going to watch a dude I don't know. I might watch if it was a band or artist I recognize. He's a nobody to me.

vailpass
09-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm sure he's fine. But I'm not going to watch a dude I don't know. I might watch if it was a band or artist I recognize. He's a nobody to me.

He's a squirrelly little bastard, good voice, songs all sound kind of the same. Can dance, killer brass section. Will probably be a good visual show.

Carlota69
09-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I use to think Bruno Mars was a suck ass pop POS, until I saw him perform. I was at Iheart a couple of years ago, and that dude tore it up. I still don't care for his music, but he can flat out perform, and he has good pipes. Talented guy for sure.

Having said that, the people who choose the halftime artist are terribly out of touch with the vast majority of football fans. But then again, it is the SB and they aren't necessarily trying to appeal to the main demographic. They don't have to..

ThaVirus
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM
It always amazes me that the NFL can screw such a simple thing up. Get a well-known artist that appeals to the masses of your biggest demographic that watches both the SB and the typical regular season games. Practically everyone watches the SB...so why worry about any new demos. Get a band/artist that the typical football fan knows and I might not turn the TV off during the stupid halftime show.

They're going to have to go in the pop direction to appeal to the largest amount of people and Bruno Mars is pretty damn big right now. You've never even heard of the guy so you're really just bitching to be bitching.

rocknrolla
09-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Never heard of him either. Sorry...but don't have time to listen to the radio endlessly anymore.

This. I couldn't even tell you when the last time I even listened to the radio. Not my kind of music from what I heard here.

TEX
09-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Gay

tecumseh
09-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I use to think Bruno Mars was a suck ass pop POS, until I saw him perform. I was at Iheart a couple of years ago, and that dude tore it up. I still don't care for his music, but he can flat out perform, and he has good pipes. Talented guy for sure.

Having said that, the people who choose the halftime artist are terribly out of touch with the vast majority of football fans. But then again, it is the SB and they aren't necessarily trying to appeal to the main demographic. They don't have to..

Bruno's a good performer and not grossly overexposed like Maroon 5, J.T., Bouncey and others. Kinda suprised they didn't package the show with more "artists". Back to your post Carlotta, who do you think would be a good canidate for the gig?

GloucesterChief
09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I think the Foo Fighters would be a good choice.

Rausch
09-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Hell yeah...

chefsos
09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know who else was up for the gig? Because I'd bet Mars was chosen because he worked out the best when they all did sound check in that walk-in freezer.

tecumseh
09-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Hell yeah...

That would be cool. AC/DC maybe, although Brian Johnson's voice is toast I.M.O.

dallaschiefsfan
09-07-2013, 08:27 PM

THIS. A 1000 times this...a band that the whole world has heard of.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
09-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Bruno is washed up already? Surprised if they wanted someone still relevant they didn't get Timberlake.

Easy 6
09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
He's a talented guy, sounded good when I watched him on SNL... but he's not exactly a household name, not big enough for the worlds biggest stage IMO.

HoneyBadger
09-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Pop is the masses. Pop=popular music. You're stupid.

A Salt Weapon
09-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I've only heard a few of his songs but he has a good voice and in at least the couple songs I heard some meaning to his words not just random garbage to rhyme at least it's original.
That said I've never watched the halftime show and don't see me starting any time soon.(kind of like casshole)

Megbert
09-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I had tickets to see Janelle Monae (From the 'Dotte) and Bruno Mars on their Hooligans tour. Had a meet and greet with Monae she was really cool. Thankfully Janelle Monae played first. We left before Mars played. All the teenyboppers around us were saying things like "OH EM GEE this woman is SO WEIRD" while she was performing. Bruno is talented but not my cup o' soup.

pkane
09-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Used to think he was lame based on his songs but he is definitely talented. He won me over with his SNL pandora skit

Speaking of that skit...it's on right now.

DaneMcCloud
09-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Dave's taking a break but from what I've been told, he and Taylor are writing for a new album to be recorded in 2014.

GloryDayz
09-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I still vote for "All the non-SB cheerleaders Jello wrestling (against the SB cheerleaders)"! One day I hope...........

Easy 6
09-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I still vote for "All the non-SB cheerleaders Jello wrestling (against the SB cheerleaders)"! One day I hope...........

It sure as hell wont happen under Goodells watch, we're lucky to not get a half hour lecture on how changing the fundamentals of the game is the right thing to do, from him.

GloryDayz
09-07-2013, 10:23 PM
It sure as hell wont happen under Goodells watch, we're lucky to not get a half hour lecture on how changing the fundamentals of the game is the right thing to do, from him.

I guess the girls could get concussed...

Fuck!

Carlota69
09-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Bruno's a good performer and not grossly overexposed like Maroon 5, J.T., Bouncey and others. Kinda suprised they didn't package the show with more "artists". Back to your post Carlotta, who do you think would be a good canidate for the gig?

Foo Fighters would be a good choice, a great choice actually. Safe enough, but appeals to the demo. Metallica actually as well. Granted they may not be able to do Master of Puppets, but Enter Sandman would be safe and still appeal to the demo.

Then of course there's probably strong country artist that are safe yet appeal to the football demo. Not sure who that would be, but I'm us there's a Foo Fighters of country. Pop wise, JT hands down. He is the current King of pop and its hard to hate him the dude is so cool.

WhawhaWhat
09-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Better than rolling out a bunch of old farts that peaked 30-40 years ago.

crossbow
09-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I read the other day that he's 5'5. It was interesting because he looks taller than that on tv.

Well yeah he looks taller because his hair is about 1'5" so the illusion is that he is six and a half feet tall.

NJChiefsFan
09-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I actually looked up his most popular song on youtube. This dude can definitely sing, but its just random pop music fluff, not my kinda thing at all.

He has a good voice and makes an actual effort to put some skill into his work, even if you don't like him. His style isn't something I really like, but even if you aren't following pop music I find it strange that people have never heard of him.

ClevelandBronco
09-07-2013, 10:59 PM
I have finally reached the age at which I've never in my life run across the name of the headline entertainer for the Super Bowl.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether that's a good or a bad thing.

DaneMcCloud
09-08-2013, 01:20 AM
He has a bad ass born section. Hope they play live.

I just watched his SNL performance. He was "live" but the music was canned.

It'll be the same way at the Super Bowl, except he'll song along to a Pre-recorded band and vocal track.

All that said, he's a phenomenal talent.

KCrockaholic
09-08-2013, 01:21 AM

It'll be the same way at the Super Bowl, except he'll song along to a Pre-recorded band and vocal track.

I saw this also. Didn't watch for long though. Not my style of music.

Gravedigger
09-08-2013, 01:27 AM
I don't know what you old farts are bitching about. Bruno Mars is a stud. Better than the old as dirt bands or Beyonce.

KCrockaholic
09-08-2013, 01:41 AM
He is better than the crap we've had to sit through the last few years though.

Fire Me Boy!
09-08-2013, 05:48 AM

Wow. That's outstanding.

ChiliConCarnage
09-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Wow. That's outstanding.

I just got done watching it as well. Pretty impressive. It should be a good halftime.

Fire Me Boy!
09-08-2013, 05:56 AM
I just got done watching it as well. Pretty impressive. It should be a good halftime.

I generally have a hard time caring about the halftime show. But that was a good skit, one of SNL's better in the past 15 years.

mdchiefsfan
09-08-2013, 06:41 AM

This. They know football fans will watch the SB. Put in some off-demographic singer to pull in the rest.

Chief Roundup
09-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Oh great. Dude has a talented voice but I don't care at all for his music. Another crappy choice by the NFL.

whoman69
09-08-2013, 07:08 AM
I thought that by law the performers had to be over 40

GloryDayz
09-08-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm good with this... He's an entertainer, and not old. And, while I have what I consider to be a wide variety of music on my player, he's on there. Considering the vast majority of the crowd that goes to the SB I think he's a smart choice.

WhawhaWhat
09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
I thought that by law the performers had to be over 40

Close but the age is actually 50 and above.

Carlota69
09-08-2013, 07:38 AM

I just watched his SNL skit, and he is truly truly talented. Made me like him even more.

crossbow
09-08-2013, 07:42 AM
I am good with anybody that isn't a 70 year old Rolling Stones band. I really don't want to see grandpa doing his tired old guitar poses on my lawn.

Three7s
09-08-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm good with this... He's an entertainer, and not old. And, while I have what I consider to be a wide variety of music on my player, he's on there. Considering the vast majority of the crowd that goes to the SB I think he's a smart choice.
This

I think people around here are a bit out of touch.

BlackHelicopters
09-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Seek immediate medical help if you experience an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

GloryDayz
09-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Seek immediate medical help if you experience an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

Fuck that.....I'm not setting an alarm for 3.9 hours later to check for an erection.

ILChief
09-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Guns N' Roses

But they would be handing out the Lombardi trophy before Axl took stage

Thig Lyfe
09-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Damn, Vermeil is TALL!!!

Thig Lyfe
09-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Bruno Mars.
Mars is a red planet.

SEE YOU IN NEW YORK

I LIKE THE WAY U THINK!!!

The Rick
09-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Good choice. I'm sure he'll put on a good show.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/taTPqN7yGo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bump
01-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers to Join Bruno Mars' Super Bowl Show

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/red-hot-chili-peppers-to-join-bruno-mars-super-bowl-show-report-20140110

well that helps!

C3HIEF3S
01-11-2014, 12:36 AM

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/red-hot-chili-peppers-to-join-bruno-mars-super-bowl-show-report-20140110

well that helps!

Improving.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
01-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Bring in the women viewers for more tampon & yogort Super Bowl commercials.

KcMizzou
01-11-2014, 07:26 AM

well that helps!Yep.

BlackHelicopters
01-11-2014, 08:03 AM

well that helps!

Nice

penguinz
01-11-2014, 08:38 AM

well that helps!

Too bad it won't be the Chili's from the 80's.

Simply Red
01-11-2014, 10:07 AM
My dad who is over 70 went to a Bruno Mars concert in KC.

I've never admitted this on here because if makes absolutely no sense to me.

WhawhaWhat
01-11-2014, 10:49 AM

well that helps!

What would the Super Bowl halftime show be without some rock band with some 50 year olds on stage?

Mr. Derek
01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Never heard of him.